The Bourne Supremacy

8.6

1. Jul 28, 2012
    The Bourne Supremacy is a rip-roaring juggernaut of a movie. It totally outclasses it's predecessor in every conceivable way, ratcheting up both the action sequences and the film's emotional core to thrilling levels. With superb acting, an excellent script and thunderous set-pieces, The Bourne Supremacy should be held as a textbook example of how to do a sequel right.
  2. JerryH.
    Jul 23, 2004
    This is an excellent follow up to Identity. It is tense, fun, and action packed. Paul Greengrass utilizes the camera well to get the most out of his actors and the action scenes, esp one particular car chase. Damon is on target as he fills in the character making for a very believable action hero. It's good to see Oksana Akinshina after Lilya 4-ever however briefly, and Karl Urban is This is an excellent follow up to Identity. It is tense, fun, and action packed. Paul Greengrass utilizes the camera well to get the most out of his actors and the action scenes, esp one particular car chase. Damon is on target as he fills in the character making for a very believable action hero. It's good to see Oksana Akinshina after Lilya 4-ever however briefly, and Karl Urban is solid as the guy the audience loves to hate. The rest of the cast is solid -- notice to Joan Allen and the director for forming her character in an interesting way. If you enjoyed the first, you won't be disappointed. Check it out. Expand
  3. DianaD.
    Jan 8, 2005
    The shaky handheld feel will alienate some viewers, but The Bourne Supremacy is technically and narratively a much better film than its prequel. The acting is superb, and John Powell's score is also a stand out.
  4. Jan 23, 2013
    A rare sequel that actually improves upon the original. The Bourne Supremacy duplicates everything that was right about The Bourne Identity, and improves upon it by making the story easier to follow.
  5. Sep 19, 2013
    The second of a great trilogy, Supremacy is just as thrilling and fresh as the first movie and revisits the same kind of storyline, now in different countries.
  6. Dec 14, 2013
    The Bourne Supremacy improves upon its original with great acting, and a good plot. It also follows Paul Greengrass' typical directing style; action, tension and unfortunately, too much shaky cam.
  7. Mar 30, 2014
    I liked it better than the first one. Since the beginning it develops an adrenaline line of action. Non expected at the beginning, but it only gives it more energy for what´s coming.
  8. R.D.
    Aug 2, 2004
    As plot goes, it's a good summer action flick. What spoiled it for me was the photography. The constant shaking of the camera gave me a headache. In the car chases all you saw was a series of blurs. Instead of catching you up in the action--as was the case in the first film--it kept you trying to figure out what was happening. All too often it just seemed muddled and confused. A big As plot goes, it's a good summer action flick. What spoiled it for me was the photography. The constant shaking of the camera gave me a headache. In the car chases all you saw was a series of blurs. Instead of catching you up in the action--as was the case in the first film--it kept you trying to figure out what was happening. All too often it just seemed muddled and confused. A big let-down after the excellent camera work in the first film! Expand
  9. RonR.
    Aug 28, 2004
    Definitely one of the three WORST movies I've ever seen. The camera is shaking, shaking- ALWAYS shaking. There is hardly a still moment in the film. After 45 minutes I had such a headache I had to leave for awhile. Coming back awhile later didn't help. The camera was still shaking. For much of the last 45minutes I had to close my eyes so as not to get motion sickness. The Definitely one of the three WORST movies I've ever seen. The camera is shaking, shaking- ALWAYS shaking. There is hardly a still moment in the film. After 45 minutes I had such a headache I had to leave for awhile. Coming back awhile later didn't help. The camera was still shaking. For much of the last 45minutes I had to close my eyes so as not to get motion sickness. The director is a blooming idiot! Expand
  10. RandyH.
    Aug 13, 2007
    Seemed like a great movie. I'm not really sure, because I had to look away through much of it or squint one eye shut to try and stem the nausea that the shaking, frentetic camera views inspired. Who thought this was a good way to film a movie? This artsy-fartsy director should be banned from any future filmmaking. Even the quiet moments in the movie when two people were just talking, Seemed like a great movie. I'm not really sure, because I had to look away through much of it or squint one eye shut to try and stem the nausea that the shaking, frentetic camera views inspired. Who thought this was a good way to film a movie? This artsy-fartsy director should be banned from any future filmmaking. Even the quiet moments in the movie when two people were just talking, the camera was moving and zooming in and out like the cameraman was smoking crack. I was looking forward to this third installment of the Bourne series, but by the end of the film I was looking forward to some Pepto Bismol. Complete waste of time and money, in my opinion. Expand
  11. Sep 25, 2011
    Man, the movie's still has the same intensity, same action sequences, same stupidity, and the same plot. I wonder if the movie might become something like the James Bond Franchise...
  12. KenttheIceMan
    Jul 25, 2004
    Definitely NOT as good as the first one. My only real complaint is the camerawork. What on earth were they thinking ?!! It is SO shaky and bumpy that it is hard to follow and in some cases I had to look away from the screen just to stop my head from spinning. Idiots !
  13. jacks.
    Sep 30, 2007
    I wouldn't take any extremist sides, but overall the story was fairly straightforward (which is a blessing for this kind of genre), and yes, while the camera could indeed induce nausea, it was a very obvious character of the film itself. Natural/ambient light should be the prerequisite for every film made. Unrealistic car chases coupled with insane walk-aways are unforgivable, but I wouldn't take any extremist sides, but overall the story was fairly straightforward (which is a blessing for this kind of genre), and yes, while the camera could indeed induce nausea, it was a very obvious character of the film itself. Natural/ambient light should be the prerequisite for every film made. Unrealistic car chases coupled with insane walk-aways are unforgivable, but tight, choreographed fisticuffs were passable as the real deal. A bit of a quick-ending wrap up made it somewhat hurried, but characters remained true, and almost a bit stereotyped (unbeatable Bourne, bumbling crony, maiden-in-distress, et al.). A solid mediocre rating. Expand
  14. JoeyK.
    May 7, 2006
    This movie is absolutely horrible. The first one was great. This one was an insult. Frankly, I'm downright outraged that this one got a better metcritic score, because it is utter garbage. There is very little actual action. 3/4 of the movie is just footage of Matt Damon walking really fast and looking beihind him. Seriously. And when ther actually IS something that SHOULD be This movie is absolutely horrible. The first one was great. This one was an insult. Frankly, I'm downright outraged that this one got a better metcritic score, because it is utter garbage. There is very little actual action. 3/4 of the movie is just footage of Matt Damon walking really fast and looking beihind him. Seriously. And when ther actually IS something that SHOULD be interesting, you can't see it because whenever there's a fight, the first thing they do is kick the epileptic camera man in the balls. If you like faked, boring "suspense," see this movie. If you like action movies, or liked the first one, for the love of God stay away from this crap. Expand
  15. Aug 27, 2012
    Not as good as Identity, but still thrilling and a worthy follow on. I was hoping for more action, given that it's shorter, but the plot is good enough to keep it interesting.
  16. Aug 7, 2012
    The movie had an average plot to it, OK twist, nothing mind-blowing, and acting was OK as well. The problem I have with this movie is the camera. The camera angles changes almost every 3 or less seconds, and the action scenes I just had to look away from, they didn't have any steady shots, and a major problem with holding the camera still. To be honest i almost made me sick of watching.
  17. RemyB.
    Aug 6, 2010
    An excellent movie.
  18. Matt
    Jul 21, 2004
    This is a terrific follow-up to Bourne Identity that is well-written and intelligent. The plot is intriguing and the action suspenseful.
  19. MasaS.
    Jul 25, 2004
    Incredibly entertaining and thrilling action flick with involving, intelligent characters and a great overall sense of urgency. The shaky cam is overkill but doesn't deter an otherwise excellent film.
  20. DanielleB.
    Aug 2, 2004
    This felt like a whole new movie, instead of a sequel.
  21. Gregory
    Aug 9, 2004
    I enjoyed the film, finding it interesting and exciting despite the heavy cutting in the last chase scene that made it very hard to follow: that scene, in particular, was more of a visual assault rather than a chase you could follow, though exciting nonetheless. The plot was easy to follow, in fact, predictable with virtually no surprises. This doesn't diminish from the action, but I enjoyed the film, finding it interesting and exciting despite the heavy cutting in the last chase scene that made it very hard to follow: that scene, in particular, was more of a visual assault rather than a chase you could follow, though exciting nonetheless. The plot was easy to follow, in fact, predictable with virtually no surprises. This doesn't diminish from the action, but one would hope to be a bit more surprised. This film is exciting, action eye-candy, a good ride and a nice sequel to The Bourne Identity, but not a real "thought-provoking" espionage thriller. Good fun and worth seeing for that alone, especially if you enjoyed the first film. One correction to Cameron's spoiler: the man Bourne spots in India is suspected by Bourne to be CIA operative. This turns out not to be the case, but it is the death of Marie that sets Bourne on fulfilling his promise of revenge made near the end of the first film. Expand
  22. SterlingC.
    Mar 10, 2006
    This movie is the perfect sequel to The Bourne Identity and is mandatory for fast-action fans.
  23. IlzeS
    Dec 1, 2004
    A really good movie. One of the best thrillers this year. I didn?t saw part one, but this one I liked very much, because it?s dynamic and a new director Paul Greengrass made it very good and thrilling. Yes, really good!
  24. JeremyG
    Dec 28, 2004
    I have to agree with the other negative reviews here - I found it to be a string of pointless action scenes. And the camerawork makes it nearly unwatchable. I wouldn't be surprised if they filmed the entire thing without a single camera mounting device. I wasn't a big fan of the original "Bourne Identity", but I would have given it at least two points more than this score.
  25. AlexanderW.
    Oct 8, 2004
    The camera was not of the best, sometimes a viewer may lose track in who is chasing whom. Pretty predictable either. Anyway, it is a good movie to sit back and enjoy if you prefer not having to think about it too much.
  26. Fantasy
    Jul 24, 2004
    Forget the professional critics as they did not do this justice. It is superb piece of cinematography. It is a fast paced suspense thriller that will have you on the edge of your seat. As the movie continues it reveals only bits and pieces of Jason Bourne's past identity. It is a guarantee that this will be a huge hit with the audience. Hopefully, we can look forward to a Bourne III. Forget the professional critics as they did not do this justice. It is superb piece of cinematography. It is a fast paced suspense thriller that will have you on the edge of your seat. As the movie continues it reveals only bits and pieces of Jason Bourne's past identity. It is a guarantee that this will be a huge hit with the audience. Hopefully, we can look forward to a Bourne III. In a way, we have a spartan twenty-first century James Bond series developing without the predictable glamour and glitz. Don't miss it. Expand
  27. PatrickS.
    Jul 29, 2004
    Geez. What went wrong here?! The first movie was a thrill a minute action adventure with many memorable moments (who can forget the jet ski chase?). The sequel, however, is far far from it. Matt Damon, seeming more and more like he isnt sure if he's still acting in Good Will Hunting or not, reprises his role as Jasoun Bourne, a secret agent with a lost memory. Strangely, the wit and Geez. What went wrong here?! The first movie was a thrill a minute action adventure with many memorable moments (who can forget the jet ski chase?). The sequel, however, is far far from it. Matt Damon, seeming more and more like he isnt sure if he's still acting in Good Will Hunting or not, reprises his role as Jasoun Bourne, a secret agent with a lost memory. Strangely, the wit and assuredness that made his character so much fun in the first seems gone here, replaced by a strangely blank stare in almost every scene in the movie. The strange thing is, is that through all the action in the movie, all the sudden and inexplicable shoot outs, all the cop chases, all the car races, there never seems to be the adrenaline you would expect from such a movie. Many scenes seem very unlikely as well, as when he is shot in the arm and leg and still is able to jump over train tracks, over bridges, onto boats, and up buildings. Overall, I would recommend seeing an action classic like Road House or Next of Kin instead of this, you'll save yourself the money of a ticket and you can stay home. One tacky action piece. Expand
  28. AdamX
    Jul 30, 2004
    Entertaining, but Bourne is missing flair. What might have been perfectly impressive fight scenes use so much "jiggled-camera" that it gets tedious.
  29. LarryG.
    Jul 30, 2004
    Fantastic movie... Just as good as the first. Spectacular character that makes this series exciting!
  30. RickG.
    Jul 30, 2004
    [***SPOILERS***] Another fun two hours spent with everybody's favorite forgetful assassin. The film's best scene is near the end where Bourne makes rhetorical amends for his one of his crimes. This is not the greatest effort at screen play writing. The point of this film is to take its viewers into an imaginary world and it does that quite well. I mean I can't get enough of[***SPOILERS***] Another fun two hours spent with everybody's favorite forgetful assassin. The film's best scene is near the end where Bourne makes rhetorical amends for his one of his crimes. This is not the greatest effort at screen play writing. The point of this film is to take its viewers into an imaginary world and it does that quite well. I mean I can't get enough of Bourne and his enemies speeding their way in automobiles through crowded urban areas, and never killing anybody along the way and causing very few accidents. Of course, Bourne is always able to get through it alive and walk away. It's a formula but it's working for now. And Karl Urban made a great assassin himself. I'm knocking a point off of this one because the writers decided to off Franka's character so early in the film. I didn't want her killed off at at all, as Franka was my number one reason for wanting to see this film, but the least they could done was given her some more screen time. No more Marie just when she was looking her sexiest with her new hair style and tattoo. Damn it. Expand
  31. GaborA.
    Aug 2, 2004
    The original had a more surprising plot development but lacked substance. It was just a repetative cat and mouse game. This time around the plot has no unpredictable surprises but what is a surprise is the quality of the movie. The action and thematical scenes finally get the material and craftmanship that they deserve. All in all Supremacy is far superior to its predecessor, and has The original had a more surprising plot development but lacked substance. It was just a repetative cat and mouse game. This time around the plot has no unpredictable surprises but what is a surprise is the quality of the movie. The action and thematical scenes finally get the material and craftmanship that they deserve. All in all Supremacy is far superior to its predecessor, and has moments good enough to establish itself as one of the best spy flicks out there. Expand
  32. GavinD.
    Aug 26, 2004
    I have not seen a thriller that left so deep an impression on me as this in a long time. A classic genre (complete with retro touches) refreshed.
  33. HarrisonB.
    Aug 8, 2004
    Very good movie. The only thing I didn't like was the beginning when Marie .... But Matt Damon was great. This is a great movie.
  34. EdieP.
    Apr 10, 2005
    Anybody that doesn't like this movie doesn't like anything. I loved the 1st one and own both and I can't wait until 2007 when Matt Damon makes the Bourne Ultimatum and I'm a 72 year old woman!!
  35. NunoL.
    Jun 24, 2005
    Adorei.
  36. VikramM.
    Nov 27, 2004
    The plot in this movie is great! The action in this movie is great! The acting in this movie is great! The camera movement in this movie is....not good. On some of the best action scenes I had to like shut my eyes just to understand what the heck was going on! The camera was moving way too fast. If the camera slowed down then I would give this movie a 10, but that camera was just moving The plot in this movie is great! The action in this movie is great! The acting in this movie is great! The camera movement in this movie is....not good. On some of the best action scenes I had to like shut my eyes just to understand what the heck was going on! The camera was moving way too fast. If the camera slowed down then I would give this movie a 10, but that camera was just moving way too fast. Overall this is a great sequel knowing that most sequels stink. Plot: Good Acting: Good Action: Good Camera: Not so Good. Overall: 8. Expand
  37. GeorgeH.
    Nov 5, 2004
    Not bad, but not that good as "Bourne Idendity."
  38. DonnaA.
    Oct 17, 2004
    Great movie!
  39. Arthur
    Dec 28, 2004
    What was good about the first movie is completely absent here: good action, great suspense, and solid plot. Resist the urge even if you liked the first.
  40. MikeG.
    Dec 4, 2004
    What a mess. It's the kind of movie that just throws plot twists at you without any explanation, figures that a fast moving scene will make up for any kind of exposition and hopes for the best. It's a nice looking movie, but it definitely left me wanting a little more thrill in my thriller.
  41. ElaineJ.
    Oct 27, 2004
    I loved this one more than the first one, I will buy when it comes out on video.
  42. PaulD.
    Oct 4, 2004
    Some good action sequences, but somwhat repetitious, and pretty unbelievable. Bourne Identity was definitely superior.
  43. Alexmich
    Jul 23, 2004
    Never has a thriller been so exiting.
  44. VinceH.
    Jul 24, 2004
    I am glad to see someone else here recognized the girl from "Lilya 4-Ever". Anyway, I am a huge fan of Ludlum's Bourne books and also a huge fan of the first movie and was not dissapointed with this one. First of all, about half the people I know who've seen this movie think it's boring & too slow. The screenwriter Tony Gilroy (who also did the 1st one) has said that this I am glad to see someone else here recognized the girl from "Lilya 4-Ever". Anyway, I am a huge fan of Ludlum's Bourne books and also a huge fan of the first movie and was not dissapointed with this one. First of all, about half the people I know who've seen this movie think it's boring & too slow. The screenwriter Tony Gilroy (who also did the 1st one) has said that this movie is meant to be much darker and more character-oriented, with less action and dialogue. In fact, Matt Damon has maybe 3-4 pages of dialogue total in the whole film. Most of the screen time he is either running away or running from shadowy gov't agents in different European countries. This is a thinking man's thriller, intended for adults looking for a spy/suspense yarn that neither insults their intelligence nor dumbs for the audience. The action scenes are brilliantly done (the shaky camera should be recognizable to anyone here familiar with director Paul Greengrass's docudrama "Bloody Sunday"). Instead of depending on stupid flashy CGI effects and huge explosions, the car chases and numerous run-arounds are all done in a doc way, with natural lighting and on-location shooting that gives the film the feeling of real life taking place with real people, not some Hollywood backlot. Overall, those looking for non-stop glossy & stupid shootouts and action movie, goyou may be slightly let down. This is a dark, moody, and suspenseful thriller that really does reveal more about the character of Jason Bourne and is much more concerned with how Bourne acts and responds to his attacks than with big setpieces, altough they certainly don't dissapoint here. Expand
  45. BitBurn
    Jul 24, 2004
    Action packed, good balance between dialog & actions scenes, clever surprises, strong script. What more do you want? Go see it!!
  46. Triniman
    Jul 24, 2004
    4/5 Loses a star for being basically the same idea as the first film - the CIA is trying to kill him and he is on the run. Like the last time, he's willing to fight back. Kudos for the writers for not making this an overly sentimental film. The main bad guy in the film is a relentless Russian Secret Service agent, who reminds me of the Serbian sniper from the film Behind Enemy Lines. 4/5 Loses a star for being basically the same idea as the first film - the CIA is trying to kill him and he is on the run. Like the last time, he's willing to fight back. Kudos for the writers for not making this an overly sentimental film. The main bad guy in the film is a relentless Russian Secret Service agent, who reminds me of the Serbian sniper from the film Behind Enemy Lines. They say the adult thriller genre faded away after being peaking in the 70s. Hopefully, more quality thrillers will be made once this film is confirmed in a few days as a bona fide smash. Also, rent the astonishing sleeper film Spartan, if you enjoy the Bourne films. Worth seeing if you liked the first one. by Triniman Expand
  47. TimD.
    Jul 25, 2004
    Completely amoral. Thoroughly entertaining. It is unbelievable that the film has us, the audience, rooting for a cold-blooded, non-stop killer. This has to be a credit to a well-made film that makes us willingly suspend our disbelief and moral system. The Bourne Supremacy is a real fun summer treat.
  48. JeffK.
    Jul 25, 2004
    Everything about this movie works very well: acting, plot, pace, twists and turns. The only thing I didn't like about it was the bizarre directing choice to shoot almost the entire film with a steadycam (or I should say shaky cam). Within 5 minutes this became an annoying distraction from the movie itself. By the end of the movie, I actually had a headache. It's like someone Everything about this movie works very well: acting, plot, pace, twists and turns. The only thing I didn't like about it was the bizarre directing choice to shoot almost the entire film with a steadycam (or I should say shaky cam). Within 5 minutes this became an annoying distraction from the movie itself. By the end of the movie, I actually had a headache. It's like someone hammering away on the note "C" for an entire song: it quickly becomes tiresome. If you can get past the gimmicky camera-work, you'll enjoy the movie. Expand
  49. Ab76
    Jul 26, 2004
    Philistines! The "shaky" camerawork reflects the favored handheld style of the director. It is an artistic choice that provides perspective, a first-person immediacy, to all the action. The quick cuts and editing creates the right unsettling feeling for the viewer that matches what Bourne experiences. That's the way a fight looks for someone in it. Anyway, yes, the film is not the Philistines! The "shaky" camerawork reflects the favored handheld style of the director. It is an artistic choice that provides perspective, a first-person immediacy, to all the action. The quick cuts and editing creates the right unsettling feeling for the viewer that matches what Bourne experiences. That's the way a fight looks for someone in it. Anyway, yes, the film is not the original so it's missing...originality in its plot. Fine. Also Bourne's character doesn't really evolve in this one and Landy doesn't have much arc either. However, the editing choice, the acting, the fantastic action sequences, the actual intrigue (are you listening Barbara Broccoli?), the locations and the unbelievable car chase are enough to merit a 9 out of 10. This movie rocks and I for one was never bored or irritated by its choices. Expand
  50. FlipA.
    Jul 26, 2004
    Four words: best car chase ever. BOURNE SUPREMACY is the perfect counterpoint to the Bond films: where high-tech implausible gadgets abound Bond, the brain compels Bourne to do what must be done, even if that means facing the consequences of his own disturbing acts. A truly wonderful action/adventure.
  51. IBSick
    Jul 28, 2004
    A great follow up for the first installment. Loved the way the story was spelled out without interruptions of unlikely events. Only thing I hated about this movie was the constant rattling of the camera. The motions made me nauseous and I almost lost it in the cinema.
  52. NeilG
    Aug 22, 2004
    Without giving too many plot spoilers, I have to say this is a wonderfully well executed movie. Very different in style to the first, I thought, having seen the trailer that such extensive use of hand held camera shots would make me ill, but it injects the movie with an urgency and confusion that jolts and shakes the viewer. This is a very effective way to reflect Bourne's own Without giving too many plot spoilers, I have to say this is a wonderfully well executed movie. Very different in style to the first, I thought, having seen the trailer that such extensive use of hand held camera shots would make me ill, but it injects the movie with an urgency and confusion that jolts and shakes the viewer. This is a very effective way to reflect Bourne's own situation, and a refreshing break from other, slicker but less affecting action movies. The plot is also excellent; the storyline is exciting and unpredictable and follows on seamlessly from the first film. Some may object to the movie's opacity, and Paul Greengrass certainly makes no concessions to the intelligence of the average action movie audience, with hints and clues to the reasons for Bourne's predicament peppered throughout the movie at split second intervals, but again this is a very suitable way in which to express Bourne's confusion. A real thrill to watch, if not quite as enjoyable as the first movie. Still definitely worth seeing. Expand
  53. RobinH
    Aug 31, 2004
    Shaky, grainy, loud, boring, pointless waste of a number of strong supporting actors' talents, as well as two hours of my leisure time -- hopefully the next installment will use modern camera and film technology to create an enjoyable, complex story supported by viewable images -- not relying on extended, overwrought car chase and fight scenes interspersed with slow, drawn out Shaky, grainy, loud, boring, pointless waste of a number of strong supporting actors' talents, as well as two hours of my leisure time -- hopefully the next installment will use modern camera and film technology to create an enjoyable, complex story supported by viewable images -- not relying on extended, overwrought car chase and fight scenes interspersed with slow, drawn out "dramatic" scenes that don't add up to an interesting plot. Expand
  54. StevieG
    Sep 12, 2004
    To all those who "love" this movie: are you on crack? Not that this is a terrible movie, it is not. But it is by no means "great." The editing is hyper-kinetic, like a methed-out music video. There is no character development at all. You must have seen and liked the first movie (which I did) to even get this one. The level of unreal heroics in this film trumps the first easily. And there To all those who "love" this movie: are you on crack? Not that this is a terrible movie, it is not. But it is by no means "great." The editing is hyper-kinetic, like a methed-out music video. There is no character development at all. You must have seen and liked the first movie (which I did) to even get this one. The level of unreal heroics in this film trumps the first easily. And there is a taxi in Russia which everyone in the world should own, as it seems to be able to absorb near nuclear attacks, yet keeps on ticking. Are we this starved for decent action movies that this is a blockbuster? This is a truly sad state of affairs. peace. Expand
  55. MarcK.
    Sep 16, 2004
    Very disappointing, as I thought the first one was so good. The car chase scenes in Moscow were absurd. And as someone below noted, wasn't that taxi EVER going to get totaled?
  56. BertB
    Jan 15, 2005
    Excellent, non stop action. At least as good as the first.
  57. ArmandoS.
    Jan 22, 2005
    Boy, the director loves his handheld camera! Lots of action, but the plot was a little too unbelievable-spy films in general do not hold my interest-Matt Damon was mostly just grim throughout the movie-looks like the ending left open the possibillity of a sequel.
  58. YoonC.
    Jan 7, 2005
    A worthy sequel to the excellent bourne identity. the visual style vibrates with tension, fear, anxiety, and paranoia as though the camera is circuited to the seismic undulations of bourne's unstable psyche. the acting is efficient and spartan. it's a world of sleek efficient killers in constant motion vs an army of dry, ruthless bureaucrats caught in the very web they've A worthy sequel to the excellent bourne identity. the visual style vibrates with tension, fear, anxiety, and paranoia as though the camera is circuited to the seismic undulations of bourne's unstable psyche. the acting is efficient and spartan. it's a world of sleek efficient killers in constant motion vs an army of dry, ruthless bureaucrats caught in the very web they've been spinning. some may object to the movie's morbid coolness, but i prefer thrills without frills to schlocky spy thrillers that either unconvincingly try to humanize characters or simply fall back on outlandish camp. this movie moves so fast and with such efficiency--like bourne himself--that it's worth admiring simply an exercise in filmnastics. jason bourne looks as though he's so pumped up with steroids that he needs to find a healthclub fast. his a terminator trying to regain his soul. he moves with mechanical grace, but his mind fumes and perspires nightmares. matt damon's performance is, at once, cold and personal. emotionally, he's like a frozen mummy whose heart is thawing from within and confronting the truth oft his identity buried beneath layers of amnesia. fast-paced, taut, and plenty violent but also thoughtprovoking and affecting. Expand
  59. ashrafn.
    Feb 19, 2005
    How can anyone slate this movie? its miles better than your average james bond film and is certainly more engaging, more engrossing and makes people feel as if they are part of the film.
  60. BobE.
    Feb 26, 2005
    Great!
  61. AndrewR.
    Feb 5, 2005
    Great at maintaining tension, although a bit hard to follow, even having seen Bourne Identity. Interesting and enjoyable, but, in the end, pretty forgettable.
  62. DanielH
    Mar 29, 2005
    I went to see the Bourne Supremacy because I liked the Bourne Identity. That was a mistake. The Bourne Supremacy is the worst movie I saw in 2004. One chase after another and nothing else. Such a thin plot and cardboard characters don't equal to anything. It is just like watching someone else playing a video game.
  63. craiga.
    Aug 23, 2005
    Not as good as Identity, but still pummels Bond into a puddle.
  64. marshallm
    Jan 11, 2006
    Pretty darn great! action-packed, good cast, interesting story line, all-around great action film. :-) grade: 9.3
  65. MichaelM.
    Oct 21, 2004
    Entertaining, and very intelligently written. Although it's slow at parts, it ranks as one of the best movies of the summer. Matt Damon hands in a fine performance also.
  66. BradJ.
    Dec 14, 2004
    Not very good at all. The director tried to use fast, choppy, action in the style of Gladiator but failed to realize that a) he isn't Ridly Scott, and b) you can't film an entire movie that way. The result is a movie that is actually painful to watch. The plot is OK, the acting is good enough, but the way the movie is shot makes all that irrelivant. If you saw Gladiator and Not very good at all. The director tried to use fast, choppy, action in the style of Gladiator but failed to realize that a) he isn't Ridly Scott, and b) you can't film an entire movie that way. The result is a movie that is actually painful to watch. The plot is OK, the acting is good enough, but the way the movie is shot makes all that irrelivant. If you saw Gladiator and thought "why didn't they film the whole movie the way they filmed the first fight" then this movie was made for you. Otherwise, spare your eyes and don't bother. Expand
  67. CameronS.
    Jul 23, 2004
    GREAT SPY MOVIE! The acting and pacing were AWESOME. The only complaint I have is some of the jerky camerawork. It kinda made me dizzy but it is forgiveable. GREAT MOVIE!
  68. KevinR.
    Jul 23, 2004
    A taut thriller carrying no baggage like superfluous love scenes or emotional anguish. One point off for annoying editing and too much (way too much) shaky camera work. Another point off for making the G-men seem way too competent. The minute Bourne steps off a train, three alert policemen have spotted him and tipped off the spooks and, whoopee, the chase is on. If our government were A taut thriller carrying no baggage like superfluous love scenes or emotional anguish. One point off for annoying editing and too much (way too much) shaky camera work. Another point off for making the G-men seem way too competent. The minute Bourne steps off a train, three alert policemen have spotted him and tipped off the spooks and, whoopee, the chase is on. If our government were even one tenth this capable, alert and persistent, Osama would've been captured years ago. (Or maybe it's just that they don't really want to catch him). Expand
  69. DennisP.
    Jul 23, 2004
    Equally as good, if not superior to "The Bourne Identity". Matt Damon keeps Bourne low-key which is very effective and Joan Allen is excellent as always. "The Bourne Supremacy" moves at a brisk pace, seemingly taking you to a new country every 5 minutes. Never a dull moment. Some of the rapid-fire editing during chase scenes and flashbacks gets a little annoying, but this a minor Equally as good, if not superior to "The Bourne Identity". Matt Damon keeps Bourne low-key which is very effective and Joan Allen is excellent as always. "The Bourne Supremacy" moves at a brisk pace, seemingly taking you to a new country every 5 minutes. Never a dull moment. Some of the rapid-fire editing during chase scenes and flashbacks gets a little annoying, but this a minor complaint in an otherwise excellent suspense / thriller. Expand
  70. BillC.
    Jul 23, 2004
    Far surpasses the first film, best popcorn movie in years.
  71. JeremyM.
    Jul 23, 2004
    Not as riviting as the first one. Still an interesting plot, but every action scene was head spinning. The camera was never still and it was confusing at times to make out what was going on. Damon was good again but the whole movie lacked depth.
  72. EvanD.
    Jul 24, 2004
    Absolutely horrible. Poorly written, badly paced, and incorporating awful cinematography, this 2 hour bore barely passes for a movie at all.
  73. DonR.
    Jul 24, 2004
    How could they follow up The Bourne Identity with this trash? The movie has no plot at all. It is an insult to good spy movies.
  74. Blackcat
    Jul 24, 2004
    Great movie - a worthy successsor to The Bourne Identity. It progressed the character of Bourne in an understated, subtle way that might even go over some of the viewer's heads on first viewing. Matt Damon did a great job showing the shades of emotions hidden behind the wall of the robotic assassin. I really hope for another sequel. I did take 2 points off for a bit of overuse on the Great movie - a worthy successsor to The Bourne Identity. It progressed the character of Bourne in an understated, subtle way that might even go over some of the viewer's heads on first viewing. Matt Damon did a great job showing the shades of emotions hidden behind the wall of the robotic assassin. I really hope for another sequel. I did take 2 points off for a bit of overuse on the camera editing style - most of the time it was fine, but there were a few instances were it was frustrating because I wanted to see more clearly what was going on. All in all - a great thinking man's action movie. Expand
  75. RemyB.
    An excellent movie.
  76. RemM.
    Fair movie. Only fair.
  77. BenA.
    Jul 25, 2004
    Acting=good story= very good editing = awful cinematography = possibly the worst ever. You can't see what's going on most of the time. Conclusion: see it, but sit in the back.
  78. PatrickM.
    Jul 25, 2004
    So, you thought the camera work was bad? Did you happen to sit in the front row? Needless to say, my neck was sore by the end. But, that alone didn't stop me from genuinely enjoying this. Damon portrays a killing machine perfectly...very much devoid of emotions. I thought his backtracking was clever and Brian Cox was good as ever. The car chase everyone is talking about could very So, you thought the camera work was bad? Did you happen to sit in the front row? Needless to say, my neck was sore by the end. But, that alone didn't stop me from genuinely enjoying this. Damon portrays a killing machine perfectly...very much devoid of emotions. I thought his backtracking was clever and Brian Cox was good as ever. The car chase everyone is talking about could very well be the coolest thing I have seen. People that say it was boring MUST see King Arthur because that is mindless entertainment and Bruckheimer is involved. This movie makes you think. But, I hear the books are very much different and better, so who knows...Not as good or innovative as "Identity", but definitely worth seeing. Just wish I had arrived earlier... Expand
  79. Jon
    Jul 26, 2004
    This is an excellent action movie, in many ways better than the first one. The director does an excellent job of creating an atmosphere of tension and while many people complain about the syteadicam shots the only time I found it annoying was during the fight scenes, where the first movie trumps this one, where you couldnt see what the heck was going on (yes in reality this occurs but I This is an excellent action movie, in many ways better than the first one. The director does an excellent job of creating an atmosphere of tension and while many people complain about the syteadicam shots the only time I found it annoying was during the fight scenes, where the first movie trumps this one, where you couldnt see what the heck was going on (yes in reality this occurs but I want to see the cool choreographed karate moves man!) ...regardless an excellent action movie that does everything well - keeps you on the edge of your seat (never boring), very well acted and has no annoying CGI bullsh*t. See it. A- Expand
  80. RickS
    Jul 26, 2004
    The action is non-stop and I wasn't bored for a moment. Matt Damon is quite believable as an ex-CIA agent on the run. I would have rated this film higher if the MTV-style directing and editing weren't so overpowering. It really wears you out after a while! Additonally, Franka Potente (one of my favorite actresses) is MIA for much of the film. On the plus side, the Russian car The action is non-stop and I wasn't bored for a moment. Matt Damon is quite believable as an ex-CIA agent on the run. I would have rated this film higher if the MTV-style directing and editing weren't so overpowering. It really wears you out after a while! Additonally, Franka Potente (one of my favorite actresses) is MIA for much of the film. On the plus side, the Russian car chase sequence is incredible. Expand
  81. Nightkin
    Jul 28, 2004
    An action-packed "spy vs. better spy" film; The Bourne Supremacy captures the escapism we've all come to love in old espionage films, though not retaining the more innovatively compelling qualities of the "The Bourne Identity." Wobbly camera-work and apparently choppy, repetitive transplantation of the original book put the director Paul Greengrass and screenwriter Tony Gilroy at An action-packed "spy vs. better spy" film; The Bourne Supremacy captures the escapism we've all come to love in old espionage films, though not retaining the more innovatively compelling qualities of the "The Bourne Identity." Wobbly camera-work and apparently choppy, repetitive transplantation of the original book put the director Paul Greengrass and screenwriter Tony Gilroy at fault for not bringing this second installment of the Bourne book series completely to life. Expand
  82. BenZ.
    Jul 28, 2004
    Hmm... i'll have to say i was a bit dissapointed with this movie but still, it was very good and i think an 8 is a fair rating. This movie didn't exactly get my adrenaline rushing like the first installment did. The action scenes in here were very gritty and realistic but not neccesarily fun to watch or easy on the eyes. On a positive note though, the plot is much more enjoyable Hmm... i'll have to say i was a bit dissapointed with this movie but still, it was very good and i think an 8 is a fair rating. This movie didn't exactly get my adrenaline rushing like the first installment did. The action scenes in here were very gritty and realistic but not neccesarily fun to watch or easy on the eyes. On a positive note though, the plot is much more enjoyable here and the character development is much better. I'd have to say the best part of this movie was Joan Allen in the "evil CIA agent" role - Great character. Brian Cox, fabulous as usual. Matt Damon, a pleasure to watch. Julia Stiles a.ka. "the scene chewer", should not have been used in either of these films. Her presence is made even more distracting here with the worst hair style i've seen on screen in awhile. Overall though... great acting, good story, questionable action scenes, and one bad casting choice. Expand
  83. LaurenV.
    Jul 29, 2004
    7 is a fair score for a fair movie. It was a decent action flick. The good reviews it got were well deserved.
  84. MikaelP.
    Jul 29, 2004
    Wow. Here is a case of unexpected enthrallment. At the time that I saw the first film, I found it to be good and well made, yet forgettable among other spy/action films. Perhaps with my newly heightened sense of film nuances, I could go back and find more to it than I had before. I think this because if the first movie was close to as good as its sequel, I would not call it forgettable. Wow. Here is a case of unexpected enthrallment. At the time that I saw the first film, I found it to be good and well made, yet forgettable among other spy/action films. Perhaps with my newly heightened sense of film nuances, I could go back and find more to it than I had before. I think this because if the first movie was close to as good as its sequel, I would not call it forgettable. The action was incredible, the acting was top notch (even by Stiles!), I didn't want to leave my seat for a second to miss the action! Disregard complaints about "narrative"; there is so much to be found between words that this movie could be merited as much art as action. And let's not forget the car chase. Oh, baby! Supremacy would be granted a 10 from me were it not for the shaky camera that prevented my father from enjoying the film without having to close his eyes. Some have suggested that this is art. Wrong. The film was not done directly from Bourne's POV, therefore the camera is not there to interpret his thought pattern during intense scenes. It just makes the film difficult to enjoy for many people. Besides that, just incredible. Expand
  85. KerryR.
    Aug 15, 2004
    This could have been a great film, but the camera work was dire. The whole film shaked about so much i came away with motion sickness. I hope directors log into this website and learn that the viewing audience want to be able to focus their eyes during the movie.
  86. RichardG.
    Aug 15, 2004
    If you loved the first Movie, you'll love this one as well. The hand held camera made me very dizzy, but in the end, it was an interesting story. Maybe for a 3rd sequel Bourne could get darker.
  87. ChadS.
    Aug 17, 2004
    Duck, Lola, Duck!!!
  88. HunterP
    Aug 17, 2004
    Doesn't live up to the first movie.
  89. AnonymousAgent#2
    Jan 22, 2005
    Horrible, like one long shaky car chase the only reason it didn't get a 0 is because Matt Damon happend to be in it, by the end of the movie you'll have a headache from watching the picture shake so much......however the first movie was much better.
  90. PatC.
    Jan 29, 2005
    Slightly better than the original. Believable depiction of the secret-agent mentality. Still have to wonder after it's over, who is this guy really?
    Jul 29, 2005
    Unlike the predeccessor, this one is buckled down and stragihtforward rather than somewhat explorative. The "realistic" look is nice, but sometimes it can be hard to discern things. I'm suprised they've made it this far without CG and digital effects.
  92. atomzer0
    Aug 13, 2007
    Camera action made me sick. It was like the cameraman was trying to rollerblade on gravel and kept falling and turning and jerking. I understand why they did it that way, but it didn't work for me. I'd give it a 9 if not for the "creative" camera motion.
  93. JasonH
    Aug 31, 2007
    This movie probably could have been much, much better. The camera simply sucked, saying that it made the experience more "real" and that it's "creative" is a load of crock. All that it does is give me a headache, a stomache ache, and no idea what the hell is going on. Another poor feature of the movie was it's lack of humor. Identity had a perfect balance of humor and action, This movie probably could have been much, much better. The camera simply sucked, saying that it made the experience more "real" and that it's "creative" is a load of crock. All that it does is give me a headache, a stomache ache, and no idea what the hell is going on. Another poor feature of the movie was it's lack of humor. Identity had a perfect balance of humor and action, which fit well with a character slowly uncovering his past and incredible abilities. In this movie, suddenly bourne is a master at what he does. He no longer discovers himself, he no longer makes jokes. He's become a flat character by comparison. Expand
  94. EmeryV.
    Dec 25, 2004
    I thought this movie was good and pretty interesting. it kinda of seems to be one chase scene after another but the special effects are good and it is an over-all good film. good for anyone who likes aaction/thrillers.
  95. MelissaMe
    Dec 26, 2004
    Good flick. Not a big fan of the choppy cinematography, but it didn't detract from the story.
  96. SimonB.
    Dec 16, 2006
    I frankly don't get how people review movies on this site. I've seen the most preposterous of comments on movies that are straight out excellent. The Bourne Supermacy follows what Bourne said in the first movie. He threatens Treadstone by saying they won't know what's coming until the counter-strike is finished. That promises a fast-paced movie ON THE START. Plot-lines I frankly don't get how people review movies on this site. I've seen the most preposterous of comments on movies that are straight out excellent. The Bourne Supermacy follows what Bourne said in the first movie. He threatens Treadstone by saying they won't know what's coming until the counter-strike is finished. That promises a fast-paced movie ON THE START. Plot-lines that were VERY obvious seem to be so oblivious to others that they decide to pluck their thought-motor out and call it a day. If some complain about the camera movement, well to them I would answer: "How would you imagine yourself in a fight?" ... Exactly. When you're in a fight like Jason gets into, you don't see everything around you. It's a fast-paced blur without conscience. Everything becomes instinct. And this is what this movie is about: Instinct. Instinct of survival. If the movie is too fast for you, try watching it in slow-motion. Expand
  97. Aug 6, 2012
    This is the most boring movie of the three where I could have expected something more than that. The action thrill scenes are lesser than the last movie.
  98. Sep 24, 2010
    Bourne & girlfriend now living in India, assassin comes after him, tragedy, goes after the CIA to find out what's going on.
    Not as good sequel to the excellent Bourne Identity which does have it's moments but seems to lack something that the first one had.
    Decent cast once again adding Joan Allen & Karl Urban to its roster & Brian Cox is the stand-out this time appearing a lot more.
    Thought it got a bit stupid towards the end too with the silly car chase.
  99. CRL
    Sep 3, 2011
    Altogether more suspenseful, more concise, more intriguing, and more emotional than its predecessor, Bourne Supremacy is a step up from the usual generic thriller and benefits from a stellar performance by Matt Damon.
  100. Sep 7, 2011
    Not quite as intriguing as its predecessor or it's sequel, but still amazing. It does feel a bit more drawn out. Overall, however, it's well worth watching over and over.

1. Like its various post-Cold War European locations, the film remains chilly and distant. Every time you feel like you're finally grabbing hold of something involving, the picture once again spins frustratingly out of reach.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The action is confusing at first and the hyperventilated editing style at times goes beyond the pale, so pic ultimately emerges as an erratic but not unworthy sequel to its gritty, genre-invigorating predecessor.
  3. The loss of the first film's hurtling who-am-I? story engine is keenly felt, and too much time is spent observing the characters get on and off planes, trains, and automobiles.