The Bourne Ultimatum

7.5

1. Dec 14, 2013
    The Bourne Ultimatum concludes the Bourne trilogy in style, with sharper camerawork, interesting characters, great action sequences, and Paul Greengrass at his finest.
  2. DanC.
    Aug 4, 2007
    Quite good, but it lost me a bit when Bourne went from a very smart, skilled human being to a near superhuman in the final car chase sequence. Much of the appeal of Bourne is the way he's bound by the normal rules of human existence: he's very strong, fast, and smart, but he's not superhuman. That was stretched a bit here - how many high-speed crashes can he walk away from Quite good, but it lost me a bit when Bourne went from a very smart, skilled human being to a near superhuman in the final car chase sequence. Much of the appeal of Bourne is the way he's bound by the normal rules of human existence: he's very strong, fast, and smart, but he's not superhuman. That was stretched a bit here - how many high-speed crashes can he walk away from without a scratch? The movie was at its best when Damon and Stiles shared quieter moments - reminiscent of Damon and his love interest in the first movie. I wanted more of that in between the undeniably impressive action scenes. Still, while not quite as good as 1 or 2, it remains a great action film for thinking people, far superior to most in the genre. Expand
  3. May 24, 2011
    Rarely in a trilogy does each movie improve on it's predacessor however in this case its a case of saving the best until last! The Bourne Identity and Supremacy where amazing but Ultimatum blows them out them water. It raises the bar and set's the standards for all spy, espionage, federal agent franchises - whatever you want to call them the likes of Bond, Bauer and McClane all have someRarely in a trilogy does each movie improve on it's predacessor however in this case its a case of saving the best until last! The Bourne Identity and Supremacy where amazing but Ultimatum blows them out them water. It raises the bar and set's the standards for all spy, espionage, federal agent franchises - whatever you want to call them the likes of Bond, Bauer and McClane all have some serious work to do. This film picks up from the previous outing with Bourne escaping the authorities and on the run however he inadvertently becomes the target of Operation Blackbriar - a Treadstone upgrade whilst working with a London based journalist. Information from the reporter brings back new sets of memories for Bourne as he finally intends upon finding out about his dark past and who he truely is whilst evading a new ruthless breed of assassin leading to a phenominal finale in the final installment of a tremednous trilogy! This film has everything action from start to finish, superb suspense and a real thriller once more showcasing just how good a recipe it is with Paul Greengrass directing and Matt Damon in awesome form as Jason Bourne. Expand
  4. Nov 22, 2011
    I think that Bourne really is the new Bond. The Bourne Ultimatum was as action as action can get. The story was good, The cast was good, everything was good about this film.
  5. Sep 25, 2011
    Before I saw "The Bourne Ultimatum" I thought the Bourne Series was slowly changing something like the Bond Franchise. I guess not. The film offers the same thing, but this time with a trimmed script and pulverizing action sequences. I could see that this movie begs to differ, and I believe it.
  6. Oct 4, 2010
    It is rarely the case that the third film in trilogies turns out to be the stand out film in the series, but this is the case for the 'Bourne Ultimatum'. There are constant thrills and fantastic action sequences. The acting is top class and the storyline is very cleverly written. This is sure to keep you on the edge of your seat and thoroughly deserves its 3 Oscars.
  7. Nov 19, 2011
    It's safe to say that Jason Bourne is this generation's James Bond, only with better fighting.
    This film is a fast-paced, satisfying ending to a groundbreaking spy series of the 2000s. Filled with unexpected twists and Bourne's clever planning, the Bourne Ultimatum keeps the viewer on the edge of the seat during the whole movie.
    The Moby Extreme Ways ending song is just perfect for this movie.
  8. Jan 2, 2013
    It's a very fitting end to such an enjoyable trilogy. Solid acting by the cast, The movie is the perfect mix of action and story, The action itself is entertaining and fun to watch. It's simply a good film.
  9. Mar 22, 2013
    The Bourne Ultimatum is easily the best of the three films and arguably the greatestt action film ever with its breakneck pace and incredible camerawork.
  10. Aug 29, 2012
    Another fantastic thrilling action film. All the things that made the previous two great come together and feel more cinematic and high-profile. I would highly recommend it even if you haven't seen the previous two. Great pace, action and story all the way.
  11. DanB.
    Aug 6, 2007
    Aside from the twist at the end, its attempts to be political were a bit... eh. I dunno. (The twist at the end, however, made the whole trilogy, like, allegorical--very nice.) Otherwise, this is Class A action. Could've used a titch less shaky cam. But still, really good.
  12. TomS.
    Aug 8, 2007
    This was, quite simply, one of the most exciting movies I've ever seen. A virtuoso display of shooting and editing. Amazing. As for you people who found it headache-inducing, maybe you should stay home and watch Merchant-Ivory costume pics.
  13. AJ
    Feb 8, 2008
    I don't understand why this movie was better reviewed than the first, which was by far the best of the three. The camera work is annoying, the actors seemed to mail in their performances and the CIA scenes were ridiculous. I still enjoyed it a little, but really only because I grew to care about the character in the first one.
  14. PaulK.
    Aug 5, 2007
    Best of the 3. A must see for any action fan. The shaking camera did get a little old at times. Bourne is the super spy of our time. Bye, bye 007.
  15. D.R.
    Sep 5, 2007
    Overall a strong film (best action film of the year), but I don't think that it equaled the excellence of "Supremacy". The Bourne-in-NY portion of the film wasn't as well done as the preceding portion...the element of realism that makes Bourne such a compelling hero was done away with completely with some of the stuff he was walking away from during the NY act (car falling Overall a strong film (best action film of the year), but I don't think that it equaled the excellence of "Supremacy". The Bourne-in-NY portion of the film wasn't as well done as the preceding portion...the element of realism that makes Bourne such a compelling hero was done away with completely with some of the stuff he was walking away from during the NY act (car falling backwards off a roof; the chase-ending car accident; the 10-story leap into the river). Also, was it just me or did the car chase end in exactly the same way as it did in "Supremacy", with one car t-boning the other into a concrete divider? The bike escpae in Tangier was much stronger. [***SPOILER***] Finally, I just felt that Pam Landy's actions in handling the Blackbriar report seemed out of character...I could have seen if she had gone somewhere else within the government (like Jack Ryan did at the end of Clear and Present Danger) to bring down the program, but proclaiming that "this is not what I signed up for" and going to the press seemed ridiculous. A couple of other things that cost this movie some points: 1) note that in the end of "Supremacy", when it shifts to NY, it's clearly not winter as was depicted during the NY portion of "Ultimatum"...some continuity would have been nice; 2) Bourne being chased on rooftops in Tangier by local police...where have we seen that before? Oh yeah...in The Living Daylights, a 007 film. As well done as that act was, it lacked some originality. Overall, very good espionage film, but could have been great if the NY act had been better. Expand
  16. RyanneV.
    Sep 6, 2007
    So action pact thrilling and insightful must see!
  17. SergeR
    May 6, 2009
    How anybody can give it less than ")" is beyond. You ask for logic and realism ín an action movie? Come on. The scene in the London railroad station just blew me away. So did the scene over the rooftops of Tanger. This is first class and has never been shown better, period. Who cares for logic, the whole James Bond series would have been produced!
  18. DustinM.
    Nov 20, 2007
    This film sets the standard for action films in the 21st century. Damon's minimalist style coupled with director Greengrass's au naturale style are a virtuoso combination. The Bourne Ultimatum (and the Bourne series for that matter) is to the current Bond franchise what Batman Begins is to the old Batman franchise (Batman, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, etc.). There is a This film sets the standard for action films in the 21st century. Damon's minimalist style coupled with director Greengrass's au naturale style are a virtuoso combination. The Bourne Ultimatum (and the Bourne series for that matter) is to the current Bond franchise what Batman Begins is to the old Batman franchise (Batman, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, etc.). There is a clear difference in the quality, believability and style between them. It is refreshing to watch this film both because film-goers can now expect more from action films, and because (hopefully) lesser type action films will become less common because Ultimatum has raised the bar. A professional reviewer commented that after this final Bourne film, no other Bourne films should be made for two reasons-- 1) because Ludlum wrote only three books in the series, and 2) because inferior sequels shouldn't serve to denigrate the excellent job Ultimatum did to end the series. Prior to watching the film I agreed with this because I thoroughly respect and enjoy Ludlum's work (the initial reason I came to watch the first and subsequent Bourne films). But after watching Ultimatum, I must confess I've changed my mind simply because it would be a sizable loss for film-goers and film-makers alike if we all cannot see many more superbly made films such as Ultimatum. Expand
  19. AcronA.
    Oct 6, 2007
    This film, although highly praised, still managed to come out under-rated. Its not often that an action flick is elevated to art. What makes the Bourne Ultimatum so special is that it does it effortlessly. Nahhhh Strike all the above... I JUST LOVE THIS FILM!!!
  20. RyanP
    Aug 10, 2007
    This was overrated. I enjoyed Bourne #1 and 2 better. This was supposed to be the big ender for Jason Bourne's story, unless the director is planning a fourth film! Then I hope it's much better. Still, this is a great choice if you're looking for a tense action film this summer.
  21. PaulKane
    Aug 10, 2007
    The same manic handheld camerawork that was prevelant in supremacy reigns here, but for some reason it works better or maybe i've succumbed? The "where it all began" flashback sequence that popped up throughout the whole movie should have been condensed. That aside, this is a good action thriller worth seeing at some point.
  22. JamesH.
    Aug 17, 2007
    Good ending for the trilogy! Some parts are not logical, but, hey, it's just a movie, compared with other crappy action films, Jason Bourne rcoks!
  23. MarkM.
    Aug 3, 2007
    Engrossing and satisfying despite some implausible moments that scoff at the laws of physics. If you liked the first two, you'll like this one. The way the final scene of "Supremacy" is woven into this movie is ingenious.
  24. JakeB.
    Aug 3, 2007
    Not as good as the Identity, better than the Supremacy, this was a fun, thouroghly enjoyable Euro-spy Action flick. IMO, Greengrass should tone down the flashy, constantly moving camera tricks a bit...or maybe I just sat too close!
  25. AndyA.
    Aug 3, 2007
    Like Supremacy, the challenge is to try and see what is going on through the continuous camera movement. The camera is even being jerked around when filming a computer screen. Now picture what the camera is doing in a fight scene. Honestly, it would be easer to make sense of a dolphin via critter-cam than the cinematography in this movie. It's a shame because it is a great story.
  26. ROBERTM.
    Aug 3, 2007
    Excellent story, non-stop action. Sets the Gold Standard for action, suspense thrillers. Superb cast, direction, camera work. I remember taking a breath at the start of the movie and another one an hour and fifty five minutes later when it ended.
  27. ConnorH.
    Aug 30, 2007
    I don't see how people didn't like this movie. It was suspenseful, action packed, and sometimes even funny. Best action movie of the year.
  28. JoshuaN
    Aug 3, 2007
    Action packed till the end. Definitely the best out of the three. Go see it, just for the sake that its one of the best movies of the year.
  29. MartyY.
    Aug 4, 2007
    I had to sit in the far back rows as I am prone to motion sickness and director Paul Greengrass' camera is prone to motion. But the story, direction and acting are all top notch. Matt Damon is a total badass and Julia Stiles is surprisingly great. There are a couple of clunky lines here and there; luckily Matt Damon is terse throughout. Brilliant intertwining of the previous films I had to sit in the far back rows as I am prone to motion sickness and director Paul Greengrass' camera is prone to motion. But the story, direction and acting are all top notch. Matt Damon is a total badass and Julia Stiles is surprisingly great. There are a couple of clunky lines here and there; luckily Matt Damon is terse throughout. Brilliant intertwining of the previous films and taut, dizzying action make this film one of the summer's best. Expand
  30. MarcusM.
    Aug 4, 2007
    Good but not great. Almost a replay of 2: 'something happens to suck Borne back in; he makes the CIA agents look bad - beats up a bunch - but doesn't kill any! - cool vehicle chases... And the two cheap shots at the current Administration (won't give them away but anyone with a 3 digit IQ should have caught them) were pathetic.
  31. OthoS.
    Aug 4, 2007
    The only reason I am not giving this exciting film a 10 is that it is confusing at spots, particulalry when it tries to fill in the neophytes on what has happened in the previous two films in the franchise. Let 'em go back and rent the other two. It's like picking up the third Harry Potter book and expecting to know what's going on. I was especially confused by the reprise The only reason I am not giving this exciting film a 10 is that it is confusing at spots, particulalry when it tries to fill in the neophytes on what has happened in the previous two films in the franchise. Let 'em go back and rent the other two. It's like picking up the third Harry Potter book and expecting to know what's going on. I was especially confused by the reprise of the end of the SUPREMACY just before the climax of the ULTIMATUM, i.e. the "You should get some sleep, Pam, you look tired" conversation. Can anyone explain why that scene was repeated? Expand
  32. GeneC.
    Aug 4, 2007
    This is another great Bourne film. Lots of twists & turns, thinking and rethinking, and success is always determined by his smarts, aggressiveness, action and luck. The main character is not arrogant, but gritty, outnumbered and barely surviving. I think we all see ourselves like this in some ways. Love this series.
  33. ZachZ.
    Aug 5, 2007
    The best Borne movie to date! You will not be disappointed!
  34. BrittanuN.
    Aug 6, 2007
    I think Matt Damon is a great actor, and no one else could have pulled these movies off better them him!!!
  35. TonyB.
    Aug 6, 2007
    Best of the trilogy this movie was just amazing. but what was up with the camer-man with heroine relapses I couldn't see a thing he was shaking so much made it kinda hard to see what was happening but aside from that the movie was incredible I want to see it again already and I just saw it yesterday.
  36. WilliamB.
    Aug 6, 2007
    Could have been a 10 except for the camera work, which was some of the worst I've seen in years. It took away from a great movie.
  37. GatsbyJ.
    Sep 12, 2007
    -I liked the movie but didn't think it was as good as the first two. I think that with the shaky camera it works and doesn't work, depending on when it's used. In fight and action scenes it's great, but during normal conversations between characters it becomes cumbersome. Those who thought they shaky camera worked are correct, but so are those who say it didn't. -I liked the movie but didn't think it was as good as the first two. I think that with the shaky camera it works and doesn't work, depending on when it's used. In fight and action scenes it's great, but during normal conversations between characters it becomes cumbersome. Those who thought they shaky camera worked are correct, but so are those who say it didn't. It doesn't need to be in every scene. Identity didn't use it and it was a great movie. What ticked me off was when I'd have the back of some character's head covering 90 % of the screen and all I see is gray or black (if someone can give me a reason that this "technique" was absolutely necessary I'd be happy to listen). -The story was thinner this time (a lot thinner) and it was more action-oriented, which is great for most action movies with stupid plots, but with the Bourne series we expect a solid, intriguing story. -I really wanted to love it as much as the first two movies but was a bit disappointed. The ending was great (linking it back to the first movie with Bourne in the water and his rebirth, etc). But really, the only thing this movie was about was Bourne getting the last of his memory back and finding out what Blackbriar or whatever its called was. That's all he's after in this movie, but one plot element can't sustain a two-hour plus movie. -The action and chase scenes were good (nothing as spectacular as Identity's) and it's always nice to see Bourne outsmarting the entire US intelligence agencies (seriously, I'm not being sarcastic: it's not very believable and a bit cliche, but it's still fun to watch). -I wanted to really like the movie, but had to grudgingly admit it didn't live up to my high expectations. Expand
  38. KentH.
    Sep 22, 2007
    Extremely enjoyable but the plot left room for sequel.
  39. HollyC.
    Sep 2, 2007
    Great film in the "Bourne" Trilogy---I might actually rate it as the best of them. Greengrass and Damon really make this film--but Greengrass probably deserves a huge chunk of the credit. The action/suspense is very satisfying though the dialogue isn't the best (but it's spar, so it doesn't distract too much). The hand-held camera works well for most of what it's used Great film in the "Bourne" Trilogy---I might actually rate it as the best of them. Greengrass and Damon really make this film--but Greengrass probably deserves a huge chunk of the credit. The action/suspense is very satisfying though the dialogue isn't the best (but it's spar, so it doesn't distract too much). The hand-held camera works well for most of what it's used for though I did get too jarred in the final car scene where he keeps the camera at the level of the headlights. I had to avert my eyes---which, honestly, almost never happens--maybe the Blair Witch project was the last time I had to look away from too much camera shaking/movement. I loved the end and was very glad it didn't feel dragged out or too long---at 2 hours, it's still tightly paced/edited--which also describes Damon's performance. As cinematic as these stories/films are--Damon is absolutely credible--he's what you think of in terms of special ops agents--something very sparse and efficient about him. This is definitely a must see in the theater and probably worth owning on DVD as it's just a great/entertaining film to watch (repeatedly). Expand
  40. RienyeN.
    Sep 7, 2007
    I tried reading Bourne Ultimatum long before even Bourne Identity came to the silver screen and even then it kept putting me to sleep and never finished the book. The movie was, fortunately, better than the book but it still missed that "something" that made all the other Bournes so thrilling to watch. I admit it was tiring having to keep focused with all the jiggly camera work and the I tried reading Bourne Ultimatum long before even Bourne Identity came to the silver screen and even then it kept putting me to sleep and never finished the book. The movie was, fortunately, better than the book but it still missed that "something" that made all the other Bournes so thrilling to watch. I admit it was tiring having to keep focused with all the jiggly camera work and the plot still remained somewhat fuzzy until the very end, and even then it wasnt anything shocking or jaw-dropping. The action and stunt work is still top-notch but an overall let down of the trilogy! Expand
  41. RichardK.
    Aug 11, 2007
    A good show, I will get the dvd. A lot of hand held camera action shots in places that did not need all that camera movement...Matt Damon is one cool dude. Excellent fight scenes & car chase/crash scenes. Hard to remember a dull moment in this movie. Nice ending. We want more...
  42. PST.
    Aug 11, 2007
    As far as the spy thriller genre is concerned, you simply can't get any better. Two thumbs up to a brilliant director and a wonderful cast of exceptional actors.
  43. lesdazzle
    Aug 12, 2007
    anyone who gave this movie less then 5 must be a labotimized zombie,i gave up chewing my nails last year but could not stop through entire pic and you are always cheering on bourne great action and locals and i would rather take the hyper realism of hand held then seamless boring cgi effects anyday
  44. MichaelS
    Aug 12, 2007
    Well worth your time and hard earned dollars to see this film. The action movie of the summer and I can only hope the series continues with Bourne Legacy and Bourne Betrayal. I can only guess that critics of the Wash Post never made it to the film as they apparently do often.
  45. KirkG.
    Aug 16, 2007
    Say what you like about the camera work, this movie tops both of it's predecessors and even generates a few smiles along the way as you see Bourne putting the CIA in its place. There was a portion that seemed a tad preachy, but I almost expected it. Overall, very good. Especially if you liked #1 and 2.
  46. steve
    Aug 16, 2007
    Rather over-rated by the critics. Even a "thriller" needs to slow down the action occasionally; non-stop car chases and fights tend to get a little boring after a while. Where is the characterization? A little humor and/or romantic interlude would have helped. "The Bourne Identity" was far and away the better movie.
  47. RickD.
    Aug 17, 2007
    It was better than the first two. The pace and action were fantastic. I was not disappointed.
  48. ChadB
    Aug 18, 2007
    Good flick, but somebody should buy Paul Greengrass a tripod.
  49. halb
    Aug 10, 2007
    Excellent, action-packed, pulse-pounding, expertly directed, well acted... with characters you actually care about, and a plot that mirrors our current national obsession with security. The Bourne Trilogy and Matt Damon are worth catching!
  50. JoeB
    Aug 18, 2007
    Easily the best action film of the year, if not the decade. Matt Damon managed to create a realistic, well-rounded character, which is pretty hard to do when you have very little dialogue with which to do so.
  51. NickA.
    Aug 20, 2007
    What can I possibly say that has yet been stated about the third (and possibly final?) installment in the 'Bourne' franchise? Well, if I felt compelled to abash and debase the film
  52. FionaW.
    Aug 3, 2007
    Fast-paced in the best possible way. Yes, there's flash and discord through most of the shots, but that's what makes the film sing.
  53. JoshC
    Aug 30, 2007
    Absolutely suspenseful, big time thrilling movie and amazing. I am clueless why some people don't like this movie?
  54. DougN.
    Aug 4, 2007
    Sort of a summary of the previous 2 movies. Not as violent either.
  55. M.K.
    Aug 4, 2007
    It's an excellent action film. This film is fast paced. You really have to pay attention to what you are watching. The rough feeling of cuts and angles seems very natural for this film. Some aspects of the film feels like a typical Hollywood and some aspects dont feel like Hollywood, whch, in my opinion, is the ultimate combination for the masses. I understand the constant use of It's an excellent action film. This film is fast paced. You really have to pay attention to what you are watching. The rough feeling of cuts and angles seems very natural for this film. Some aspects of the film feels like a typical Hollywood and some aspects dont feel like Hollywood, whch, in my opinion, is the ultimate combination for the masses. I understand the constant use of handheld cam technique is a good way to produce unsettling emotions out of the audience, but I got sick of it, litterally. I felt a hint of motion sickness from overdosing handheld cam shots. It's not a serious problem, but I don't recommend watching this in the front seat. I just miss good ol' long takes after watching this film. I think it had too many cuts. Expand
  56. BillyS.
    Aug 4, 2007
    In a year thats been the 3rd in a series for every other movie released, The Bourne Ultimatum is the first one that leaves you actually wanting there to be a fourth! The Bourne series is the only trilogy that has progressively gotten better with each installment and the only one that has stayed true to its course without blowing the works trying to out-do its preecessors. Matt Damon is In a year thats been the 3rd in a series for every other movie released, The Bourne Ultimatum is the first one that leaves you actually wanting there to be a fourth! The Bourne series is the only trilogy that has progressively gotten better with each installment and the only one that has stayed true to its course without blowing the works trying to out-do its preecessors. Matt Damon is perfect as Jason Bourne and carries the movie without relying on gimmicks like Johnny Depp does in the Pirates franchise, and unlike the Bond series, they will never be able to find a replacement for Damon. I know Ultimatum is supposed to be the last Bourne movie, but atleast we finally have a 3 that we would love to see a 4 instead of "Thank God, that's over". The Bourne Ultimatum is the Coolest movie of the year! Expand
  57. MrModul8
    Aug 4, 2007
    by far the best blockbuster of the summer. non-stop action will leave you sweaty by the end. love the subtle digs they make at the current abuse of powers by the government (rendition, echelon, moral corruption). no way the franchise should stop here!
  58. BibliotechaSanchez
    Aug 4, 2007
    Great movie! The girl reminds me of my girlfriend. Very far-fetched movie, though. I didn't see the first two, but heard the rave reviews of them. Matt Damon is a good actor because he's always honest with himself. Good action.
  59. RaniS
    Aug 4, 2007
    Smart, sexy and entertaining. What a movie should be!
  60. JohnS.
    Aug 4, 2007
    One of the best action movies of the last decade. Critics are reduced to saying that the movie "tied loose ends up" because the movie integrates itself so well plot wise into the previous two movies. With that said, Ultimatum manages to have its own unique pace and chemistry.
  61. JeffJ.
    Aug 4, 2007
    Very entertaining but not a clear winner as best of the three. I thought it fell flat in the last 30 minutes. The frenetic action sequences (Greengrass knows how to do this as well as anyone) are good but I did expect more from the picture. Still, it's a completely worthwhile way to spend 2 hours!
  62. KenanH.
    Aug 4, 2007
    The ridiculous action plus the unreal camera work creates one of the best movies i have ever seen.
  63. P.O.
    Aug 4, 2007
    I don't know how you can not give this movie a ten. It is full with blood pumping action, that is much different then I have ever seen before. The action in this movie puts a new standard in business. Please go out and see it when you read this review.
  64. KimAnderson
    Aug 4, 2007
    I was shocked and exhilarated to see a movie that I was hoping would be at least good escapist entertainment turn into something with timely political content and a conscience: The Manchurian Candidate meets the Bush administration. It is also breathtakingly exciting.
    Aug 4, 2007
    it was extremely intense and exactly what i hoped it to be. this being the second sequel of the franchise, deep bow for keeping things fresh!! =)
  66. EdwardM.
    Aug 5, 2007
    A fantastic action movie that services character and makes an attentive, intelligent audience really care what's happening to the protaganists. The directing style is superb -- Paul Greengrass wanted Bourne's world to come across 'unconsidered.' It puts you right into his mind of spontaneous choice and observance. Brilliant! Easily the best movie of the year so far, A fantastic action movie that services character and makes an attentive, intelligent audience really care what's happening to the protaganists. The directing style is superb -- Paul Greengrass wanted Bourne's world to come across 'unconsidered.' It puts you right into his mind of spontaneous choice and observance. Brilliant! Easily the best movie of the year so far, all things considered. Expand
  67. RayR.
    Aug 6, 2007
    Awesome! The Bourne Series just keeps getting better!
  68. AlexG.
    Aug 7, 2007
    My only complaint would be that, the movie is very tiring on the eyes, due to the fact that a steady-cam wasn't used in any of the car chases; etc. Aside, from that minor qualm. The movie was highly enjoyable.
  69. JoshW
    Aug 8, 2007
    The best action movie in memory.
  70. mitchellk
    Aug 9, 2007
    I did like this movie but not as much as the rants and raves it got from the critics. It's definitely true that the camera shakes too much in too many scenes. A lot of the action sequences were a blur and seemed frantic because of the camera shaking and scene editing that never let you quite see what was actually happening. Aside from that, I just couldn't figure out why Bourne I did like this movie but not as much as the rants and raves it got from the critics. It's definitely true that the camera shakes too much in too many scenes. A lot of the action sequences were a blur and seemed frantic because of the camera shaking and scene editing that never let you quite see what was actually happening. Aside from that, I just couldn't figure out why Bourne called David Strathairn toward the end and basically dared him to chase him. Then Bourne started knocking off innocent NYPD that were in the way. Nevertheless the movie has many action packed scenes and does manage to keep you somewhat on the edge of your seat. Expand
  71. John
    my favorite out of the 3
  72. LarryK.
    Aug 9, 2007
    Ignore the reviews that trash this film, and go have yourself a riveting good time at the movies. By the way, the hand-held camera effect that some reviewers have exaggerated is limited to only about the first ten minutes of the film. Even then, it isn't employed nonstop for those entire ten minutes. Once this mistake, intentional or otherwise, passes, you can sit back and enjoy that Ignore the reviews that trash this film, and go have yourself a riveting good time at the movies. By the way, the hand-held camera effect that some reviewers have exaggerated is limited to only about the first ten minutes of the film. Even then, it isn't employed nonstop for those entire ten minutes. Once this mistake, intentional or otherwise, passes, you can sit back and enjoy that long overdue, quality, action motion picture that we've all been waiting for. Jason Bourne ROCKS!!! Expand
  73. N.J.V.
    Sep 10, 2007
    The whole Bourne story actually had some unresolved questions worth making a sequel for. This one is definitely up to par with the other two. A real treat to watch, brilliantly edited. If you're a fan of the action/espionage genre, watch it.
  74. G-RadAndrew
    Sep 3, 2007
    Extremely fast paced and thrilling with non-stop action. This one is the best of The Bourne series yet, including the best action movie of the summer.
  75. RobinM.
    Jan 13, 2008
    Excellent movie from start to finish. I've rarely seen the third of a series as being the best of class.
  76. KevinG.
    Jan 23, 2008
    I enjoyed the third installment of the Bourne films, though there's a 12 minute chase scene which gets a big long, though overall the entire movie stays true to the Bourne plot, shows you just how human Jason Bourne really is, and keeps you interested throughout. Definitely a must see if you're a Bourne fan.
  77. KenC
    Jan 8, 2008
    I loved the first two - while the action was good in this one - I thought the story went a little astray. It was almost a continuation of the second movie - like an alternate ending (or a directors cut) to the second movie.
  78. StanS.
    Jan 9, 2008
    Easily the best in the series, and perhaps the best action movie of the last 10 years. If you enjoyed the first two or action in general you owe it to yourself to watch this movie.
  79. Anonymous
    Apr 9, 2008
    Simply amazing,fantastic action scenes that just pull you into the screen and astonish you with the dexterity, fluidity and intelligence of every turn. It really makes you stop to wonder how it is executed so much better than maybe every other action movie period. I don't think I've ever thought "intelligent" in conjunction with an action sequence the way I do when I think about Simply amazing,fantastic action scenes that just pull you into the screen and astonish you with the dexterity, fluidity and intelligence of every turn. It really makes you stop to wonder how it is executed so much better than maybe every other action movie period. I don't think I've ever thought "intelligent" in conjunction with an action sequence the way I do when I think about this movie. It's a definite gem and something you'll want to see multiple times. Not sure I've ever seen a trilogy like this and hoped for a 4th (I'm talking to you Matrix & Mission Impossible) Expand
  80. TimmyH
    Sep 3, 2009
    It really can be regarded as one of best action/spy films ever made, for its emphasis on the story and atmosphere, both of which have the fastest pace among the trilogy. And this is just what is capable of keeping you going on with Matt Damon's tense. There're not many action sequences in the whole film in fact, or what you call fight sequences. Pretty a lot are foot chases or It really can be regarded as one of best action/spy films ever made, for its emphasis on the story and atmosphere, both of which have the fastest pace among the trilogy. And this is just what is capable of keeping you going on with Matt Damon's tense. There're not many action sequences in the whole film in fact, or what you call fight sequences. Pretty a lot are foot chases or Bourne's tricks to help Ross (a role in the film) run away from CIA agents. However, these non-action sequences are still able to make the viewers fell excited. Near the end of the film there's a car chase, which ends in a similar way that the one in Supremacy did. It's okay but it's not as good. The foot chase on the rooftop in Moroco and the hand-to-hand martial combat between Bourne and Desh afterwards is no doubt the highlight of the entire movie. Like its predecessor, Bourne's intelligence is still the main worth-watching point, which is also the major factor that makes the story brilliant. The major flaw is the camera work, which shakes all the time. It made the car chase hard to see (it's hard to tell how many cars were involved there and which car bumped into which). But the hand-to-hand combats are still okay enough with the shaky camera, unlike that one in the apartment in Supremacy, where camera shakes too heavily. Expand
  81. JoshB
    Jan 21, 2010
    This film is absolutely incredible. One of the all around greatest action films ever made.
  82. Giri
    Oct 15, 2007
    Missing one scene or a dialogue leads to misunderstanding of the story...smart move
  83. ShaunJ.
    Nov 7, 2007
    Worth Every Penny in the THEATRE plus Popcorn plus candy. I may even watch it again.
  84. ke
    Dec 27, 2007
    The best out of the trilogy and has some really good action scenes. Best action movie of the year, though the ending doesn't explain too much
  85. JeffN.
    Oct 25, 2007
    A quintessential watermark for the action-thriller genre.
  86. JaredC.
    Jul 30, 2007
    The Bourne Ultimatum never quits. It's paced with extremely high ranked action sequences and intense drama moments. This episode of Jason Bourne totally rocks and owns the first two.
  87. EM.
    Aug 11, 2007
    This best action movie I've ever seen.
  88. roberti.
    Aug 11, 2007
    Fast, loud, slick fantasmagoria--Mr. Bourne in search of himself crashes more cars than Steve McQueen, leaps rooftops with the alacrity of Batman--and emerges from every mishap and scrape smooth and Irish-handsome. A summer roller coaster ride of a movie.
  89. DanielC
    Aug 12, 2007
    God, everyone is talking about the hand-held camerawork but quite frankly, cinematography isn't all of a movie and if you want immacualte camering, maybe you should watch a period piece instead. For all of us who did watch and not get fussed about unimportant matters, what we saw was an unabashed action movie, but the thing is, unlike the usual cookie-cutter stuff from Hollywood, God, everyone is talking about the hand-held camerawork but quite frankly, cinematography isn't all of a movie and if you want immacualte camering, maybe you should watch a period piece instead. For all of us who did watch and not get fussed about unimportant matters, what we saw was an unabashed action movie, but the thing is, unlike the usual cookie-cutter stuff from Hollywood, this movie THINKS. If you like your action movies with a little brains, then you'll like this movie. Like the whole series, this has been interesting, clever, involving, white-knuckle action. Finally a movie which to applaud. I gotta say, it has been a good choice of director to do this series, you can tell that Greengrass's skill is allover this film. Expand
  90. AlexP.
    Aug 15, 2007
    It's true what they say: one of the best action movies of 2007, and probably in the past 5 years. What makes it so engaging though is its die-hard commitment to "keeping it real" so to speak. He's about as far from the James Bonds of old or the John McCain's of forever as you can get. He is understated, subtle, and unlike other action stars who forget all character It's true what they say: one of the best action movies of 2007, and probably in the past 5 years. What makes it so engaging though is its die-hard commitment to "keeping it real" so to speak. He's about as far from the James Bonds of old or the John McCain's of forever as you can get. He is understated, subtle, and unlike other action stars who forget all character development once bombs start going off, Damon never breaks from his character's resistance to and confusion of his surroundings. Smart, never boring. See it. Expand
  91. jrocknyc
    Aug 16, 2007
    it's fast & frenetic, but never confusing -- very smart cameras & editing.
  92. Rev.R.
    Aug 17, 2007
    Greengrass accomplishes the difficult task of melding complex espionage movements with the simplicity of heart-pounding action. This movie felt like trying to contemplate the mysterious movements of the solar system while riding one hell of a roller coaster. Usually one bows to the other; except in this great film. Amid explosions, gunfire, and automobiles dismantling while moving, this Greengrass accomplishes the difficult task of melding complex espionage movements with the simplicity of heart-pounding action. This movie felt like trying to contemplate the mysterious movements of the solar system while riding one hell of a roller coaster. Usually one bows to the other; except in this great film. Amid explosions, gunfire, and automobiles dismantling while moving, this film moves with its own sense of grace as the viewer thinks on their feet while the heart races. They move in perfect timing. This is the summer's best action movie and merits that distinction with ease. At last something really refreshing. Expand
  93. KerryR
    Aug 18, 2007
    Came out of the cinema feeling like i had motion sickness, this director ruins his films with the camera work. Action sequences are ruined, everything is a blur he wrecked what could have been a great movie. If you read the book first you might be wondering what your watching.
  94. AliM.
    Aug 18, 2007
    I brilliant action movie with an engaging plot! Maybe the character development didn't go quite deep enough, it was hard to feel much for them but it definitely kept the adrenalin rushing!
  95. JasonBourne
    Aug 19, 2007
    Lousy film snobs with superiority complex will give in occasional 1 and 2 (out of 10), but do not be bothered by them. This movie is easily the best of its genre in recent years.
  96. Jimbo
    Aug 22, 2007
    Unlike most on this board, I had neither read the books nor seen the other two movies. To BU's credit I had no problem with the plot or figuring the flashbacks. The Good: MattD is fantastic, as are all the cast except drippy Julia Stiles (not entirely her fault). Camera style worked for me. Pacing of the movie and locations. The Bad: Stiles, some of the fight sequences were a tad Unlike most on this board, I had neither read the books nor seen the other two movies. To BU's credit I had no problem with the plot or figuring the flashbacks. The Good: MattD is fantastic, as are all the cast except drippy Julia Stiles (not entirely her fault). Camera style worked for me. Pacing of the movie and locations. The Bad: Stiles, some of the fight sequences were a tad long, and Bournes indestructibility and the 'workings' of the CIA operatives made James Bond seem almost realistic. And just try tracking someone for 5 seconds in a crowded Tangiers market place, never mind 10 minutes! Expand
  97. MikeM
    Aug 22, 2007
    The Bourne Ultimatum is the best movie out this year. It is a spectacular, heart-pounding journey that shows you don't need to rack up the death toll to deliver a terrific action movie. This proves that, and proves it well. Matt Damon is back as Jason Bourne, the man who can't remember what he is. But this time around, he is starting to remember, and flashes are coming back to The Bourne Ultimatum is the best movie out this year. It is a spectacular, heart-pounding journey that shows you don't need to rack up the death toll to deliver a terrific action movie. This proves that, and proves it well. Matt Damon is back as Jason Bourne, the man who can't remember what he is. But this time around, he is starting to remember, and flashes are coming back to him. His goal in the movie is very simple: go back to the beginning. And this is just what he does as he makes his way to New York, where the CIA Deputy Director Noah Vosen is determined to take him down and take him out (played by the talented David Strathairn). Along with Mr. Vosen, is the returning Pamela Landy (Joan Allen), who doesn't believe in Noah's own plans, and, almost like Bourne, wants to get to the bottom of the entire case herself. There are some terrific action scenes in this film. The scene in the terminal with the British writer is very suspenseful, keeping you on edge as Bourne weaves he and his partner in and out and around security. There is a fight in an apartment that is reminiscent of the one in the house in "Bourne Supremacy," but this one is two times better and five times as brutal. The plot doesn't have as many twists and turns as the previous two in the trilogy, but this one grabs your attention and throttles you through a fast-paced, adrenaline-stimulated 2 hours. The music is one other thing to note, as it does a great job of keeping you awake, and note that the end credits song is good enough to worth staying around for (sung by Moby). It is hard to find action movies this smart, and yet this entertaining at the same time. The Bourne Ultimatum is first-class, as quite possibly one of the best trilogies ever comes to a close. Expand
  98. KevinC.
    Aug 26, 2007
    A wonderful, taught thriller that really ties all three movies together nicely and avoids most cliches of the genre. I left the theatre satisfied. The ending was a little rushed, but that's about it. @ Pedro G. - I'm sorry, but your comments are ridiculous. All the movie was doing was asking how far a government should be willing to go in order to protect itself before it's A wonderful, taught thriller that really ties all three movies together nicely and avoids most cliches of the genre. I left the theatre satisfied. The ending was a little rushed, but that's about it. @ Pedro G. - I'm sorry, but your comments are ridiculous. All the movie was doing was asking how far a government should be willing to go in order to protect itself before it's morally unsound. Maybe you didn't catch it because you seem to be someone who sees the world in black and white shades and assumes everyone else does. Calling the director of this film as a Hollywood propagandist is laughable, especially considering he was accused of being a mindless Bush supporter last year when he directed "United 93". Expand
  99. Daz
    Aug 31, 2007
    was it as good as the first two? I'm not sure. Is it a good film worthy of the Bourne name? Definitely!!
  100. JonT.
    Aug 3, 2007
    Wow! Gripping and exhausting! Brilliant fast-paced movie experience that builds logically and convincingly from the previous films.

1. Audiences will eat it up: This is a postmillennial spy-action movie pitched to a large international audience. You hardly need subtitles.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A pounding, pulsating thriller that provides an almost constant adrenaline surge for nearly two hours.
    You come out of the movie both excited and soothed, as if your body had been worked on by felt-covered drumsticks.