7.2

1. Feb 14, 2014
    Classic Daniel Day-Lewis. Every film I watch with him in it is made infinitely better because of his amazing performance. Literally, the guy never disappoints. As for the film itself, it was very enjoyable and riveting. It had a nice build-up to key, intense scenes and then a slight drop off, before another build up to an even more intense scene. It may be called "The Boxer", but as is made evident in the film, this one is about a lot more than boxing. If this and "In the Name of the Father" are any example, Jim Sheridan knows his way around a riveting film about the IRA and all of the things that come with that. Expand
  2. Dec 25, 2011
    I had to watch this for an Ireland Culture class and I was not looking forward to it at all. To my surprise this is a very gripping film. It really makes you think how screwed up Ireland was during the troubles and the hardships of life with so much violence and corruption in Northern Ireland. If you are looking to learn more about Ireland I highly recommend this movie.

The two actors, Daniel Day-Lewis and Emily Watson (Breaking the Waves), give such forceful performances and interact so well that it's impossible not to be mesmerized by their interaction.
    In some ways, this is the most conventional of Sheridan's movies. But it never feels sentimental because of the grittiness of his approach.
  3. It's a tribute to Day-Lewis that he can play a character like Danny -- cautious, withdrawn, inarticulate -- and endow him an eloquence and grace that aren't dependent on language. Without him, The Boxer might still be a powerful tale of loyalty and love, with a core of moral complexity; with Day-Lewis in the lead, it approaches greatness.