Miramax Films | Release Date: November 7, 2008
7.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 134 Ratings
Watch Now
ChristinaB.Nov 13, 2008
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas gives a new perspective from which to examine the Holocaust. While somebody might think that it sympathizes with Nazi Germany, it instead shows how easily mankind can justify such horrible violence. Like the The Boy in the Striped Pajamas gives a new perspective from which to examine the Holocaust. While somebody might think that it sympathizes with Nazi Germany, it instead shows how easily mankind can justify such horrible violence. Like the two innocent and young main characters, we begin to wonder why humans hurt one another. The last 5 minutes are the saddest moments of a film I have ever seen, but they are powerful and thought-provoking and really help bring back to light the devastation that the war brought to an entire people. For many of us who have heard lecture after lecture about the Holocaust in history class, this movie will help it all click... and probably make you cry in the process. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
AnnD.Jan 5, 2009
I thought the movie was wonderful. A poignant tale involving the bigotry of the adults and the innocence of the children. The ending was heart wrenching but necessary for the punch!
1 of 1 users found this helpful
monkeybrainspitMar 2, 2011
â
rotkuAug 31, 2011
I haven't read the book so i cannot compare the two however I found the film was an excellent look at the holocaust from the eyes of a child. For me the main let down in film was the ever so posh English accents on most of the cast inI haven't read the book so i cannot compare the two however I found the film was an excellent look at the holocaust from the eyes of a child. For me the main let down in film was the ever so posh English accents on most of the cast in particular the "German" family and I think if the movie had been filmed in German with English subtitles it could have become a classic. Expand
RegOzJan 28, 2012
This is an excellent movie..It is somehow unrealistic and historically innacurate, but still delightful- in spite of its sadness! The Boy in the Striped pajama is powerfully touching! Children's performances are outstanding. The script isThis is an excellent movie..It is somehow unrealistic and historically innacurate, but still delightful- in spite of its sadness! The Boy in the Striped pajama is powerfully touching! Children's performances are outstanding. The script is beautiful. A bit like a fairy tale, and some may argue that the movie has been manipulated to attract audiences, and they may be right, but it is still a film that we should all see once. Expand
tolis947Jun 16, 2012
This movie was simply amzing. The story was heartbreaking and teached many moral values such as that doing something bad will haunt you for the rest of your life. The cast was awesome, whith Butterfield playing his first ( and best ) role ofThis movie was simply amzing. The story was heartbreaking and teached many moral values such as that doing something bad will haunt you for the rest of your life. The cast was awesome, whith Butterfield playing his first ( and best ) role of his career. I really dont know what else to say, simply a masterpiece that every teenager and adult should watch, whether he likes nazis or not. Expand
EricCApr 8, 2009
Beautifully done! It made me cry twice.
1 of 3 users found this helpful
ERG1008Aug 23, 2010
World War II, Boy's Father gets promotion, family move from Berlin to the country, misses friends, meets a boy on a "farm", becomes friends.
Great film which is enjoyable, powerful & upsetting. Very good acting throughout (Asa Butterfield is very impressive) & although you know what is going to happen, it's still quite shocking.
JayH.Mar 4, 2009
Beautifully made and acted. The story is a bit familiar and it's pretty easy to see where the film is going. Still, it's very poignant. Excellent cinematography. It's a fine film overall.
mauriciolApr 12, 2009
Very goood movie, really sad and kept me really interested through out the hole movie.
EricZAug 14, 2009
It was a harsh ending, but well done. The actors were incredible.
garysDec 8, 2008
The movie builds slowly but effectively to one of the more gripping 15 minutes of film I've seen. There are certain conceits: how poorly guarded is the camp's perimeter, primarily; also, how no one misses little Bruno during his The movie builds slowly but effectively to one of the more gripping 15 minutes of film I've seen. There are certain conceits: how poorly guarded is the camp's perimeter, primarily; also, how no one misses little Bruno during his visits, though seemingly so closely watching him. The ending leaves mixed emotion. The father's "punishment," but at such a price. Expand
DanS.Nov 21, 2008
Gripping drama. Outstanding.
JSteinNov 23, 2008
I can see why the NY Times called it "kitsched up," but I think some of the reviews are overly harsh. If I had a teenage child I would take them to see this as part of a broader discussion of the Holocaust.
CynthiaC.Dec 14, 2008
This was the best film I've seen this year, for acting, cinematography and content. Very powerful.
TonyB.Dec 6, 2008
Viewed from any angle, this is an excellent film with an ending as devastating as you're ever likely to see.
LauraN.Nov 25, 2008
Excellent movie. Well written and well acted. Completely envelopes you in the story until it's too late. Serves as a reminder to not forget the holocaust and makes you wonder if other Germans felt as the mother did.
StevenFJun 23, 2013
With a film like The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, there are countless and sometimes ignorant historical inaccuracies, however these can be easily looked past when there are issues being dealt with here that outline one simple thing, humanWith a film like The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, there are countless and sometimes ignorant historical inaccuracies, however these can be easily looked past when there are issues being dealt with here that outline one simple thing, human error and judgement.
It's really down to the basic truth that those who committed the atrocities of the Holocaust during the second World War were indeed human beings, the SS, the unfortunate victims of the concentration camps were all human beings and not monsters or what not. This movie makes the atrocities very gritty as we see the son of an SS Commandant (David Thewlis) in charge of one of these camps befriend a young boy within the confinements, dressed in what the soldiers son Bruno (Asa Butterfield) believes to be striped pyjamas, completely oblivious as to what is really going on.
The more humanly and realistic tone comes from this soldier and his family, a very comfortable family with a wife and two children, a girl aged 12 who is simply doing what she is told and who falls even more deeply for the Third Reich as each day passes. There is also the Commandant's wife, who is unaware exactly what her husband's work consists of. She tries unsuccessfully for Bruno to enjoy their new home, but of course unbeknownst to her he is spending his time quite recklessly at the barbed wire fence of the camp and bringing food to this boy the same age as him, similar in curiosity, but these two have led very different lives, a pecking order if you will.
David Thewlis playing the SS Commandant is quite the predicament indeed in terms of explaining what he is like in the role. When we become aware of his job and what his intentions are, there is shock to be had because of his humanity, which is either shedding light on these soldiers simply following orders or a poorly placed character, because at the end of the day, these people are murderers.
This is exactly where the film is at its best, it never necessarily cares about the political motivation of any of the characters, but showing the point of view of these two innocent and caught in the middle children, they don't quite know why they are where they are, but they soon add up that not everything is right.
An historically questionable but ultimately powerful film of friendship and humanity, that never fails to break the heart.
NedRyerson1Feb 9, 2012
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is one of those emotional movies that you could easily put together with films like My Sister Keeper, A walk to Remember or Remember Me, but the thing that separates this picture from the bunch is that theThe Boy in the Striped Pajamas is one of those emotional movies that you could easily put together with films like My Sister Keeper, A walk to Remember or Remember Me, but the thing that separates this picture from the bunch is that the conflict is more believable and it involves historical events, so it approaches more to reality.
There are three situations that add strength to the plot, the first one is the way in which Bruno sees the world that surrounds him and according to this he lives his life, the point of view and judgment of this boy is incredible because is pure, innocent and not influence by common sense or human reason. Second it is the relationship between Bruno’s parents; this is special because the father hides info about his work to the mother, so when she discovers want the Germans are truly doing, the mother sinks into depression. Finally the paradox in which is trapped Bruno; what he learns about the Jews from his father, tutor and the books, is confronted by the experiences that tells Shmuel. This movie is heartbreaking, beautiful and amazing; it has well developed sequences and great performances, highlighting the one of Vera Farmiga.
SEROJJun 29, 2015
One of the most emotional movies i've ever seen. Experience the World War II through the eyes of a german child. And you won't regret! I give this movie a 8/10
GabrogamerOct 15, 2014
Ignore these "professional" review... If you like History, drama, or u want to know more about the Second Great War, just ignore the reviews and buy Netflix.
nahtan1244Feb 27, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A Gripping and powerful movie. This films incredible acting has been overshadowed by it's overwhelming comments about historical accuracy which is such a shame. The boy in striped pajamas offers us a movie drama where the power of a young boy's feelings can over comes those who try to brain wash him into thinking jews are bad. Never have I been so moved by a movie before. This movie does not end happily so bring tissues if you tend to cry in movies. Asa butterfild does a fantastic job as the boy of a rich family who creates a bond with a Jewish boy who is in a Nazi concentration camp who also plays his role fabulously. Now don't get me wrong this movie has not been getting panned by critics and audiences alike butt 69% on rotten tomato's a 55 on metacritic come on guys really. Check this movie out but bring tissues it's fabulous. Expand
KaterynaMelnykAug 15, 2017
The film "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" is a historical period drama based on the novel of the same name by Irish writer John Boyne. The film was directed by Mark Herman. It stars Asa Butterfield as a young German boy Bruno, David ThewlisThe film "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" is a historical period drama based on the novel of the same name by Irish writer John Boyne. The film was directed by Mark Herman. It stars Asa Butterfield as a young German boy Bruno, David Thewlis as Bruno's father, a high-ranking Nazi officer, Ralf and Jack Scanlon as Jewish boy. The film is set in Budapest during the Second World War. It is essentially about the Holocoust through the eyes of a 9-year-old boy. At first a young boy Bruno lives with his family in Berlin in Nazi Germany but then they have to relocate to the countryside home that is walled off from a "farm" in the far distance. In fact, this farm is a concentration camp and the Bruno's father is a commmandant of the camp. Bruno's mother is kept in the dark for a long time about her husband's murderous duties. One day, Bruno goes beyond the wall, eventually arriving at an electric barbed wire surrounding the camp. There he befriends a Jewish boy, Shmuel. But their friendship is fatal... I strongly recommend this unforgettable and poignant film, not only for pleasure but also for educational purposes. People and especially children should know the unspeakable truth about crucial historical events. Moreover, because of the little boy this film makes you feel the whole horror of that time and understand that we can not allow the same terrifying things to happen. Expand