8.9

1. Jul 26, 2015
    different lives shown and explored.
    Shows how we are all connected, but different and our choices to accept, deny, or ignore.
    Fun, dark and a must.
  2. Jul 24, 2015
    The film starts out well, but deteriorates with the only intelligent kid being put in detention for having a weapon in his locker, although the "cool" kid carries a knife on his person. Much of this film resonated with me as a good reflection of all that is **** about school, but it was destroyed by the music and dancing montage as well as some bad interactions. If we were all that messedThe film starts out well, but deteriorates with the only intelligent kid being put in detention for having a weapon in his locker, although the "cool" kid carries a knife on his person. Much of this film resonated with me as a good reflection of all that is **** about school, but it was destroyed by the music and dancing montage as well as some bad interactions. If we were all that messed up everyone would be in prison by now. Expand
  3. Mar 28, 2015
    This is a great interesting and touching drama, with parts that are hilarious. This movie is definitely worth watching .
  4. Mar 28, 2015
    the breakfast club is a film for melodramatic teenagers and impudent a-hole critics with absolutely no idea of what's it like to be a teenager. because clearly it all comes to down generations and generations pass from one era to the next era. in the end, this film has a very abused message with foul mouthed stereotypical teenagers who have few similarities to reality and a director hethe breakfast club is a film for melodramatic teenagers and impudent a-hole critics with absolutely no idea of what's it like to be a teenager. because clearly it all comes to down generations and generations pass from one era to the next era. in the end, this film has a very abused message with foul mouthed stereotypical teenagers who have few similarities to reality and a director he lives under a rock. the breakfast club is possibly the worst teenage film ever, john Hughes worst film of all time, and one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my young life. in other words it is a mutant abomination bred by poor directing and crude humour and a true disgrace to the cinema itself. Expand
  5. Mar 1, 2015
    The movie was alright, the performances were good, the directing was solid and the screenplay was alright, just as the movie. When a movie depends too much on the script, you have to make it great in order to make a great production (a great example on a movie that depends on the screenplay and does it fantastic is "Before Sunset"). Sometimes when the characters were expressing theirThe movie was alright, the performances were good, the directing was solid and the screenplay was alright, just as the movie. When a movie depends too much on the script, you have to make it great in order to make a great production (a great example on a movie that depends on the screenplay and does it fantastic is "Before Sunset"). Sometimes when the characters were expressing their feelings i really saw them forced, and predictable and as a thing that plays an important role (script) it was supposed to make me understand the characters and their motives and it failed at that. The character development was fine, but i really didn't felt that they were that interesting as they try to make them look like, because of that i really got bored at some parts, but that doesn't mean i didn't enjoy it. I did but i think this movie is a little overrated Expand
  6. Dec 10, 2014
    The Breakfast Club
    You would think that the 1985 film The Breakfast Club would be about breakfast lovers, but prepare to be thoroughly surprised. This film appeals to an audience of all mature ages with its adult humor and abundance of emotions being thrown at you at once. Even though the humor may not appeal to everyone, the meaning behind this film is definitely a classic that can be enjoyed by everyone. From the beginning to the epic ending, the entire story line has a smooth flow that tells the story of five different characters coming together. The audience will also notice how the writer, John Hughes, used pathos in his work so that the audience could really relate to the characters and their stories they tell. This is one of those films that will definitely have the audience intrigued and wanting more.
    Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald, and Ally Sheedy play the main characters portrayed in this film. Throughout the film, you can tell the actors all work very well together and perfectly depict their roles. In this film the five main characters act as “a brain”, “an athlete”, “a basket case”, “a princess”, and “a criminal”, who come together for Saturday detention. At first the group doesn’t get along but throughout the film they come together to become a close group of acquaintances who call themselves “The Breakfast Club”. Due to all these different types of characters, all kinds of audiences can relate to the emotional connection these characters represent. In the film, the character Andrew Clark played by Emilio Estevez says, “We’re all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that’s all”. One of the main themes of this movie is that no matter how different a group of people are, they can still come together and learn to understand one another.
    The story line of this film is nearly flawless. Every scene flows and never has a dull moment. Each character has a different story to tell that eventually we find out near the end of the film. With each story comes an overwhelming flow of emotion. The audience can see that John Hughes used pathos to connect with his audience, and it works. For example, Emilio Estevez who plays the athlete named Andrew Clark comes out to say he doesn’t feel like he’s ever good enough for his father’s standards which hits home with a lot of people and they connect with it. In one scene, Judd Nelson who plays John Bender, says “Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place”. Even though the group doesn’t know that much about each other, they support each other emotionally because they all have feelings and know what it’s like to feel like that. This is one of the most moving and memorable scenes in the film.
    The way this movie was filmed, also known as the camera viewpoint, plays a big part in how well this movie was produced. The actor’s facial expressions, physical emotions, and line delivery also play a huge part in the pathos stated in the previous paragraph, and help justify how powerful and moving this film really is. You can tell that the actors really connected with their character and are seeing themselves become their character when they speak. The actors use a lot of their emotion to portray how their character is feeling at that time and place depending on the scene. There is also what’s called symbolic images which is when filmmakers direct the attention of the audience to the deeper underlying approach the film is taking. An example of this is when Claire, played by Molly Ringwald tells John Bender, played by Judd Nelson, to stop back talking the principal so he will not get in any more trouble and in attempt to protect him. Little does the audience know, a romance will bloom between the two. The director also uses audio techniques to really connect with the audience. In the final scene right before the film cuts off to the credits, John Bender is walking across the football field while the song “Don’t You (Forget About Me)” by Simple Minds is playing and Bender sticks his fist in the air. Making this scene one of the most iconic scenes in all film history, because everyone will think of that scene when they hear this song.
    For me personally, this movie taught me multiple different life lessons in what felt like a very fast 98 minutes. It teaches the audience that no matter how different you may think a group of people are, they can still have things in common and you find the best of friendships with each other. This film also teaches that you can find romance in the strangest types of people. The criminal ends up falling for the preppy girl who thinks of herself as a princess while the athlete falls for the basket case. All in all, the film is not only a comedy with plenty of drama, but a film that we can all take something from, regardless of age.
    Although this is a phenomenal film, some may argue that it is inappropriate for some ages. While the film is rated R, there is many sexual references and vulgar language throughout the film making it ill-suited for younger viewers. For example, one scene Bender is being very descriptive about being intimate with a girl while talking to Claire, clearly making her uncomfortable. This movie is highly recommended for mature viewers or younger viewers with their parents’ consent since it can be slightly raunchy at some parts of the film, for certain age groups.
    In conclusion, The Breakfast Club can appeal to all types of viewers since it contains all kinds of humor. Not only is the story line flawless, but it’s one of the most moving films ever produced. With the use of pathos, John Hughes has done a fantastic job connecting his audience to tangible feelings in his film. Not only just with emotions, but the way the movie was filmed just adds to the experience and the lessons this film puts out.
  7. Jul 23, 2014
    The Breakfast Club introduces us to five teenagers who, initially at least, appear to have little in common other than the fact that they are all due to spend their Saturday together in school detention.

Starting from a point in which the characters come across as little more than stereotypes (jock, nerd, prom queen etc) writer John Hughes excellent script develops each of them over the hour and a half running time, arguably painting a more realistic picture of teenage life than any movie before and since. Admittedly none of the kids revelations are all that surprising, and critics would argue that everything is perhaps wrapped up a little too neatly, but The Breakfast Club is a still a movie that lives up to its lofty reputation.
  8. Jun 3, 2014
    This is a great look at high school life. As with real life, everybody has a story and inner demons, whether they show them frequently or not. Everybody is also divided based on "status" and rarely get to actually talk to people from other "cliques", as is shown here. That is what makes this film so special, as it breaks down those walls and allows everyone from every different clique toThis is a great look at high school life. As with real life, everybody has a story and inner demons, whether they show them frequently or not. Everybody is also divided based on "status" and rarely get to actually talk to people from other "cliques", as is shown here. That is what makes this film so special, as it breaks down those walls and allows everyone from every different clique to really see the others as they truly are: people just like them. However, what I really liked about the film is one of the discussions they have at the end, where they discuss how their friendships will be once detention ends. This discussion really rings true as I think everybody knows that these kids will never see one another afterwards and, if they do, they may ignore them or mock them after seeing them because of high school social pressures. While this one is a very accurate representation of high school and all of its oddities, it is also very funny. At many times, I found myself laughing quite hard at something somebody said or did. Overall, this is a very good film and I feel ashamed for just watching it now. Expand
  9. May 2, 2014
    A classic movie. I know I only gave it an 8 out of 10 but it was still really well done. I know that many people have it on there all time favourite list me no but I still enjoyed watching it. Got a little boring at times but it was still really well acted and a good heart felt story. I could watch this movie again easily and not get bored by it really related to me when I watched itA classic movie. I know I only gave it an 8 out of 10 but it was still really well done. I know that many people have it on there all time favourite list me no but I still enjoyed watching it. Got a little boring at times but it was still really well acted and a good heart felt story. I could watch this movie again easily and not get bored by it really related to me when I watched it because I am a high school student and I see thing happening. Expand
  10. Feb 23, 2014
    The Breakfast Club focuses on the clichés of every high school in the 80's, but it uses them to its advantage in this social drama. The dialogue is fresh and sharp, and many a memorable line can be quoted from this movie.
  11. Nov 16, 2013
    Won't you come see this movie. It's on netflix the greatest you know it baby. The Athlete, The Brain, The Basket Case, The Princess and The Criminal. Don't You Forget About It. When your at my house, telle me put it on. LOL. Watch the movie it's awesome.
  12. Nov 3, 2013
    How can you not like it? I've seen it so many times and just saw it again recently and it still cracks me up. It's a freaking classic, Plain and simple.
  13. Aug 30, 2013
    This is the story I wish I could write. I was writing a story similar to this but after I watched this movie I gave up because I could never write it as good as this. If Ferris Bueller's Day Off was the lighter side of high school with some of the dark bits, The Breakfast Club (also written by John Hughes) was the darker side of high school with some of the lighter bits. It is so dark atThis is the story I wish I could write. I was writing a story similar to this but after I watched this movie I gave up because I could never write it as good as this. If Ferris Bueller's Day Off was the lighter side of high school with some of the dark bits, The Breakfast Club (also written by John Hughes) was the darker side of high school with some of the lighter bits. It is so dark at time dwelling into the psyche of the characters but its at the same time so incredibly funny. Each character is done so well and each has their own story arc. Brian gains some friends, Andrew learns to accept other people, Claire learns to love, Allison learns to act in society, Bender gets accepted by other people, and even the principal learns to understand that he is just like the students. My only real problem is the end of the movie for two characters. And without giving away any spoilers, it isn't really fulfilling, especially with the connection the two build in the movie, that's my opinion at least. Expand
  14. Jul 28, 2013
    An 80's classic! You can't help but love this movie. No it's not a masterpiece but this film is certainly a must see. It also has the best stereotypical 80's musical montage. It's realistic in a way that makes it easy for any generation to relate to. Also the Breakfast Club has a great cast that is able to bring the movie to life in a unique way.
  15. Nov 15, 2012
    One of the most honest movies ever made, The Breakfast Club ranks with flawless social dramas such as American Beauty.
  16. Apr 11, 2012
    The Breakfast Club is without a doubt one of the greatest films of the 80's, while the setting is of the decade, the substantial quality of the film is timeless as the plot and characters are things that normal people like you or I can imagine ourselves in or relate to, aside from that, the interaction between the characters is fun, and the actors do a great job (Judd Nelson and AllyThe Breakfast Club is without a doubt one of the greatest films of the 80's, while the setting is of the decade, the substantial quality of the film is timeless as the plot and characters are things that normal people like you or I can imagine ourselves in or relate to, aside from that, the interaction between the characters is fun, and the actors do a great job (Judd Nelson and Ally Sheedy give two of my favorite performances here). Easily recommend to everyone. Collapse
  17. Mar 24, 2012
    Hughes is as contrived and caught up within his own little silly fantasies as ever, but his message that all teenagers are all the same on the inside remains one of the strongest counter-cultural propositions of its time and one of the most sincere.
  18. Jan 28, 2012
    I decided to review this film mainly as an excuse to see the film again (although itâ
  19. Nov 22, 2011
    The Breakfast Club is an incredibly vibrant coming of age story that is just so incredibly honest that you cannot help but love it. The film tells the story of five high school kids who get Saturday detention. These five are however completely different. There is the Brain (Anthony Michael Hall), The Basket Case(Ally Sheedy), The Princess (Molly Ringwald), The Athlete (Emilio Estevez) andThe Breakfast Club is an incredibly vibrant coming of age story that is just so incredibly honest that you cannot help but love it. The film tells the story of five high school kids who get Saturday detention. These five are however completely different. There is the Brain (Anthony Michael Hall), The Basket Case(Ally Sheedy), The Princess (Molly Ringwald), The Athlete (Emilio Estevez) and The Criminal (Judd Nelson). Over the course of the film each and every one of them discovers something new about each other.
    It seems a little formulaic but in a way its the teen film that built the formula. John Hughes once again took a simplistic plot premise and made it so incredibly detailed and intelligent much like he did with Sixteen Candles. However the greatest part of The Breakfast Club is its tone. The tone of the film goes from dark to light in a blink of an eye, it allows for some of the character reveals to feel shocking and real at the same time. The tone allows for pure joy and fun (the iconic dance sequence) while also allowing for some utterly upsetting character moments (Judd Nelsons depiction of life in the Bender household for instance). Its a film that knows exactly what it wants to do while also making it relate-able for its target audience. In the hands of a lesser director this film would seem generic but Hughes makes it iconic while also thoroughly entertaining.
  20. Nov 9, 2011
    Hey I meant to write ten, but my computer won't let me change it. But anyways, I want you all to know that I am a struggling screenwriter in Hollywood. Actually, i was just commissioned to write a screenplay, so perhaps I won't be struggling much longer but I do want you to know that this movie made me into what I am today. This film is so moving, so influential, it inspired in me aHey I meant to write ten, but my computer won't let me change it. But anyways, I want you all to know that I am a struggling screenwriter in Hollywood. Actually, i was just commissioned to write a screenplay, so perhaps I won't be struggling much longer but I do want you to know that this movie made me into what I am today. This film is so moving, so influential, it inspired in me a lifelong passion for film and it made me think.
    Mainstream critics are jerks. Best movie of all time.
  21. Sep 4, 2011
    The merit of the movie is that for the first time the teenager was portrayed as really is: his anxieties, insecurities, frustrations and fears were characterized in a surprising manner and with a simple and catchy language. The film makes us reflect on the consequences of poor education and as the father and mother figure is important for the balance of the teenager who somehow is thrownThe merit of the movie is that for the first time the teenager was portrayed as really is: his anxieties, insecurities, frustrations and fears were characterized in a surprising manner and with a simple and catchy language. The film makes us reflect on the consequences of poor education and as the father and mother figure is important for the balance of the teenager who somehow is thrown into a world full of doubts and insecurities accompanied with a hint of fear and frustration. Without a doubt is the definitive teen movie, being for the perfect timing, by the sharped performances or by the soundtrack of 80 years, rocked by the hit â Expand
  22. Aug 13, 2011
    Ok If you love John Hughes 80's flicks, You Will love this one. I don't really like the swearing from Bender , but it is hilarious none the less. There are some real dramatic scenes with confessions but that is what makes it real. My Favorite Character was Emilio Estevez. He is very sexy football player. That knows what he did was wrong but did it anyway. This is a life learning movie. IOk If you love John Hughes 80's flicks, You Will love this one. I don't really like the swearing from Bender , but it is hilarious none the less. There are some real dramatic scenes with confessions but that is what makes it real. My Favorite Character was Emilio Estevez. He is very sexy football player. That knows what he did was wrong but did it anyway. This is a life learning movie. I also don't like the fact that Bender Makes fun of Brian's life just because he is a nerd. Nothing wrong with being smart. Just remember that. But the dancing scene is fun, and the classic "Running through the halls scene" Check it out and let me know what you think of this 80s classic. Expand
  23. Aug 27, 2010
    most overhyped movie of all time
    THESE ARE EXTRA CHARACTERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
  24. Aug 11, 2010
    Very funny, interesting and awesome. I loved it, John Bender's character was great. The greatest movie based off high school in history. A movie that will always be remembered. Many references in good shows today such as simpsons, futurama, Family guy, etc.
  25. DanielH.
    May 16, 2010
    It seems that mainstream critics completely miss the message of John Hughes' films. Similar to "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," a lack luster score doesn't give the movie the credit it deserves. Despite this, the movie is absolutely fantastic. Its well written, down to earth, and accurately depicts the cliques that run rampant in schools even in now-a-days. If you have the means It seems that mainstream critics completely miss the message of John Hughes' films. Similar to "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," a lack luster score doesn't give the movie the credit it deserves. Despite this, the movie is absolutely fantastic. Its well written, down to earth, and accurately depicts the cliques that run rampant in schools even in now-a-days. If you have the means of seeing this film, do so, you won't regret it. Expand
  26. Katherine
    Jul 23, 2006
    I love this movie. I like how quiet it can be at some points.
  27. Adam
    Jul 18, 2006
    Best teen movie all-time.One of movies which in best way saving 80s culture. Genial script- mixing comedy and drama. Best roles of teen actors ever.
  28. Sam
    Jun 29, 2006
    One of the greateset masterpieces of all time, The Breakfast Club is a heartwarming, funny, and moving piece of excellence.
  29. KyleighH.
    Feb 11, 2006
    This is a 80's classic and one of the greatest movies of the Brat Pack era. Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall, Ally Sheedy, and Emilio Estevez were in that movie. I forgot who else was in the movie besides them. Anyway, this movie is an classic and shall live on in 80's movie history until the end of time.
  30. raVen
    Aug 15, 2004
    High school is a bit like corporate media. Management passes down the talking points of the day and eventually they trickle into the everyday vernacular. How is it that you could walk into any high school campus in America and ask them who the preppies, jocks, geeks, and stoners are and anyone would know what you were talking about? Teenage talking points, that's how. You are PLACED. High school is a bit like corporate media. Management passes down the talking points of the day and eventually they trickle into the everyday vernacular. How is it that you could walk into any high school campus in America and ask them who the preppies, jocks, geeks, and stoners are and anyone would know what you were talking about? Teenage talking points, that's how. You are PLACED. And in a way, this movie was a primordial precurser to "Reality TV." ....The film is absolutely phony. None of these people are like the ones I went to school with. But they do REPRESENT those I went to school with. Because they're engineered to. They're archetypal. Estevez, Hall, Ringwald, Nelson... they are the original high school gods, from whom all modern teenage mythology is descended - more cause than effect. So when I watch it, I watch defensively but nevertheless fascinated, like an archeologist sweeping dust off bones. Expand
  31. LeeF
    Jul 29, 2004
    A great movie on all aspects of the film industry. It's my favorite movie by far.
  32. AndrewM.
    May 19, 2004
    As a teen I simply adored this film. And obviously I wasn't alone! There is just something magical about the combinations Hughes strikes up here, that speak to the hearts of teens everywhere; the emblematic characters (including the stereotypical teacher), the sterile school library setting, the modern, crude script, and the use of a very popular modern pop song (which, incidentally, As a teen I simply adored this film. And obviously I wasn't alone! There is just something magical about the combinations Hughes strikes up here, that speak to the hearts of teens everywhere; the emblematic characters (including the stereotypical teacher), the sterile school library setting, the modern, crude script, and the use of a very popular modern pop song (which, incidentally, I still love). Not surprisingly, I don't enjoy it as much now that I'm in my late 20's but let's be clear: it's clearly aimed at teenagers and because it has affected and entertained so many, it clearly works. A great movie! Expand
  33. YoonC.
    Sep 14, 2003
    Manipulative teen angst drama from John Hughes; I suspect many teens have found it engaging not because of its honesty(it isn't) but because teens--like everyone else--prefer to see their problems simplified and brandnamed than presented in complex, existential terms. Highly contrived(main characters are GEEK, JOCK, MISFIT, POPULAR GIRL, UNPOPULAR GIRL) but actors give their all and Manipulative teen angst drama from John Hughes; I suspect many teens have found it engaging not because of its honesty(it isn't) but because teens--like everyone else--prefer to see their problems simplified and brandnamed than presented in complex, existential terms. Highly contrived(main characters are GEEK, JOCK, MISFIT, POPULAR GIRL, UNPOPULAR GIRL) but actors give their all and manage to force a few grudging smiles from the audience. Expand
  34. Mollie
    Jun 3, 2003
    I love the movie! judd nelson(john bender) is so cute (not now though)i love that movie it is my favorite!
  35. LeeF.
    Mar 18, 2003
    One of the greatest comedies ever made.

1. Before lapsing into the land of the insipid,... John Hughes actually made a few movies that shined some light on the trials of modern adolescence. The Breakfast Club is one of them.
    From the neon-sign opening titles to the derivative angst of the dialogue, it's a touchstone of '80s pop culture, and a schizophrenic one, too.
  3. Reviewed by: Dave Kehr
    Comes to the comforting conclusion that they're just as alienated, idealistic, and vulnerable as the baby boomers of the 1960s.