5.4

1. MikeR.
    Jun 13, 2005
    It seemed like a case of "well, we've got all these big names and wonderful costumes so we needn't bother with anything like plot, or a script, or characters, or tension, or romance, or a single character we could care about..." Such a waste - especially with so many brilliant writers or directors struggling to get a film made...I mean, who IS Mary McGuckian???!!!!
  2. TomS.
    Jun 10, 2005
    It's like watching paint dry.
  3. TerryS.
    Jan 8, 2007
    I am amazed at the low rating that this movie has received. I thought it was lovely in every aspect. And oddly enough it followed the book almost perfectly. Beautifully done.
  4. RayeS.
    Nov 10, 2005
    I was embarrassed to watch it. Horrible, DeNiro was awful, choppy story, no wonder there was no publicity for it. Feel bad for the crew- beautiful costumes and Art direction. I can only imagine how much $$ went down the tube.
  5. EloiseR.
    Jun 13, 2005
    The story is gripping and suspenseful, even though the ending is known, if one has read the book. Gorgeous settings, wonderful acting and music. Pace is somewhat slow, but that does not distract from one's focus.
  6. WillJ.
    Dec 26, 2006
    Meh... I watched an hour of this bull crap... story so dry, and, uneventful. Got a good laugh out of the costumes, Cathy Bates looked like an unplucked turkey.
  7. AngelicaT.
    Dec 28, 2005
    I Enjoy the scene where a chain is taken from a live Velazquez painting. I also think a movie that allows for forming different opinions in the characters is better than a common comercial receipe. My regret is way to many subplots.
  8. EvanC.
    Jun 11, 2005
    Truly one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It really gives new meaning to the term ponderous. The script is incredibly muddled and it's also horribly miscast.
  9. kA
    Nov 2, 2008
    I was so touched, enough to do online search on the book and the movie. It is disappointing to read the critics rating, and refreshing to see that many viewers enjoyed it. It is touching..the cast are first rate..the story is deep..the cinematography is stunning.

The stellar cast can do little to paper over the cracks in an awkward, unevenly-paced script that is composed of a series of sometimes-attractive scenes with little emotional undertow.
  2. This all-star Euro-indie is stultifyingly torturous.
  3. Ultimately comes across as a soporific costume drama featuring a gallery of miscast stars.