The Broken Circle Breakdown

7.9

1. Dec 31, 2015
    A film about passion within a relationship, within their love of their music, within the tragedy of the story that unfolds. The Broken Circle Breakdown may well be the movie find of the year that has had the most profound impact to me; for it is raw, real and connected and within its darkest colour hues there is such a bright light shining out. I cannot recommend it enough.
  2. Feb 3, 2014
    The 86th academy award is ruled by the European nominees in the foreign movie category. The movie took the advantage of nonlinear storytelling. From present to past to future. Frequently everything keeps delivering the surprises. If you arrange all the story together properly, you would find a typical thematic. I must say the editing was what made the movie a better product. I think theThe 86th academy award is ruled by the European nominees in the foreign movie category. The movie took the advantage of nonlinear storytelling. From present to past to future. Frequently everything keeps delivering the surprises. If you arrange all the story together properly, you would find a typical thematic. I must say the editing was what made the movie a better product. I think the best one I have seen from the recent on the editing perspective. Sadly, it was snubbed, in that category for 2014 OSCAR. This cancer theme movie is well deserved a place in the shortlist for foreign the foreign movie category.

What I found short in the movie was the emotions. They had sufficient, but did not convince me all along. I usually wet my eye for the cancer theme when a character dies of it. But in this movie I grieved along the other character, but could not find a drop. All I was interested in fascinating characters. It was over a 100 minute movie, but I felt the pace was in a hurry. The transformation of a scene to another had broad skip in the timeline. When you watch the kid being treated for her ill in the first phase, in the next scene you would find her in a critical stage. Like that, it was racing towards the next stage of story development.

It was kind nice to see two different characters falling in love and have a baby without knowing the consequences. They face it only when it begins to happen. So the story being told in that context in many pieces of flashbacks. The country musics and songs were good. The performances were also very natural from both the leads. It was well made from the directional viewpoint because of the well known contents to make it believable. In one word, it is well adapted stage play into a full length feature.
  3. Jun 1, 2014
    It's a rich, raw, heartache of a film. A beautifully composed, soul-stirrining drama about love, family, sex, sorrow, faith and music.I really enjoyed it
  4. Dec 25, 2014
    This is a terrific film - after I watched it for the second time I became convinced it was cheated out of an Oscar because of the rants against G.W. Bush.
    Wonderful sound track; quality acting and directing; moving storyline spiced with a love for real American music. A top ten film for 2013.
  5. Jun 24, 2015
    The anti-God harangue would have been pretty boring if there was not the unexpected twist of the ending. Most of the time, the science-vs-religion statements just get the opposite effect to what was intended: viewers end up thinking that atheism is not that good for mankind, and having a genuine faith in God would be much better for people because at least it helps in coping with aThe anti-God harangue would have been pretty boring if there was not the unexpected twist of the ending. Most of the time, the science-vs-religion statements just get the opposite effect to what was intended: viewers end up thinking that atheism is not that good for mankind, and having a genuine faith in God would be much better for people because at least it helps in coping with a devasting drama like the loss of a child killed by a cancer. The tribute to Bluegrass music is so brilliant that it alone makes the movie worth watching. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jan 24, 2014
    That's the kind of movie this is, the kind that sticks with you, that prods you to examine things. In the process, it reveals itself to be something of an emotional roller coaster -- but one well worth riding.
  2. Reviewed by: Bruce Ingram
    Jan 23, 2014
    Director Felix Van Groeningen takes a story that might be too much to bear in a straightforward, linear narrative and explodes it, then artfully reassembles the pieces by jumping back and forth in time.
  3. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Dec 5, 2013
    Bouncing back and forth in time and emotional space, The Broken Circle Breakdown contains moments of beauty, power and tragedy, but the constant churning sometimes leaves the film without a solid foundation. Ah, but then there’s the music, soaring bluegrass performed with passion and talent.