8.6

1. HelaynaR.
    Jun 7, 2009
    Amazing. This movie was fun, suspenseful, fascinating. It was very well paced, a fantastic story and full and amazing characters. Must see.
  2. SallyJ
    May 16, 2009
    A fun frolicking film on an additionally funny and tragic tale. I loved the beginning with the boys, expecially Bloom who is so cute and innocent. That kid is a good actor, I'd like to see more of him.
  3. conniel
    Oct 9, 2009
    The movie displayed elegant art and I loved it!!!
  4. TerenceS
    Jun 7, 2009
    I don't know how critics can hate this movie. The characters were great, and it was extremely well put together. Johnson is definately going for a retro feel, even down to the soundtrack. I never once got bored, and it spans generations. It was entirely the perfect movie for me. In my mind a must see.
  5. RyanG
    Oct 9, 2009
    The movie was great and I love the cinematography and costume design not to mention how they captured the elegance and beauty of each setting.
  6. JasonV
    May 16, 2009
    A thoroughly entertaining movie for these sad times. If you want to escape and have some fun....go see the Brothers Boom, you will enjoo it!
  7. ChrisR
    May 29, 2009
    Greatly entertaining film. Funny, dramatic, and always interesting.
  8. julesv
    Jul 13, 2009
    This is a fun excellent, entertaining movie which I though Hollywood was about....If you want to watch miserable movies about reality and the rip-off of the American People, watch the films of Barack Obama.
  9. JF
    Jul 13, 2009
    This was an entertaining and fun movie, it should have been treated with more respect, the actors earned it. Shame on Summit.
  10. CaitlynM
    Jul 16, 2009
    A wonderful, unpredictable ride. Some confusing moments, but overall a blast. Great characters, great acting, great storytelling. It kept me enthralled from start to finish, and the end was very satisfying.
  11. JacksonT
    May 16, 2009
    A must see movie, very entertaining and a fun time, my whole party enjoyed it.
  12. Feb 6, 2011
    The average critic review of 55 is an absolute joke for what is a fantastic film, with a delicate plot line which is serious but huge amounts of fun, the film is directed beautifully and has fabulous performances from a very talented cast. Definitely worth watching, several times.
  13. Aug 5, 2011
    AMAZING i love this movie i dont know why this movie got any reviews below a 9, great story great actors and it has an amazing plot. my favorite movie by far. a must see
  14. CindyT
    May 16, 2009
    Movie was fun, very entertaioning, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was paaced well, I loved the opening sequence with the boys, especially Young Bloom was very expresice and it set the tone for the rest of the movie. I thought it was very well done. I recommend it wholeheartedly and will see it again. A great fun evening of entertainment.
  15. AlexandriaD
    Jul 26, 2009
    Although the ending with the Russians threw me for a bit of a loop, both times I viewed it, my overall feeling for this film is LOVE! I laughed, to the dismay of other movie goers throughout, was captivated by the 4 main actors, and enchanted by the story. Sure one must suspend disbelief for the poor Bloom who so wishes for love but has such difficulty committing. I know...it is a drag Although the ending with the Russians threw me for a bit of a loop, both times I viewed it, my overall feeling for this film is LOVE! I laughed, to the dismay of other movie goers throughout, was captivated by the 4 main actors, and enchanted by the story. Sure one must suspend disbelief for the poor Bloom who so wishes for love but has such difficulty committing. I know...it is a drag when one realizes that movies reflect life! Ha! Expand
  16. Jun 22, 2012
    Loved the story line, the directing, writing, photography and the editing. Gave it a 9 score because it genuinely held my interest. Adrian Brody and Rachel Weisz had real charisma and Mark Ruffalo was a fantastic foil. Great Locations too. What's not to like?
  17. Jan 30, 2013
    It has action, cheerful comedy, touching romance, tricky capers which are never what they appear to be, and a style of its own that makes the film a fantastic original that certainly deserves more acclaim than it has received.
  18. Christinec
    Oct 8, 2009
    Oone of the better movies i have recently seen, adrian brody is awesome. Quirky and entertaining.
  19. BradleyT.
    Jun 15, 2009
    A bit uneven in the beginning, but the emotional payoff at the end is amazing.
  20. KirkE
    Jul 5, 2009
    Movie was very enjoyable. Story line was a little twisted but filming, casting, music was wonderful.
  21. roberti
    Jun 5, 2009
    Self-conscious wackiness, with a succession of genuine guffaws. At the end, we wonder why we should care, when all is a con.
  22. EnzoP.
    Jul 4, 2009
    The critics are extremely right about the brothers bloom. It's funny but has stupid jokes. The start of the movie was great but the ending was annoying. So it had lots of ups and lots of downs.
  23. JayH
    Sep 23, 2009
    It
  24. Apr 3, 2013
    So your watching a movie and it is very character and dialogue driven. Then you suddenly realize that your favorite character in the film hasn't said a word. I would say chances are your not enjoying the film all that much. I sought out The Brothers Bloom after loving Johnson's Looper last year, and liking Brick quite well after that. Hopefully The Brothers Bloom will be a littleSo your watching a movie and it is very character and dialogue driven. Then you suddenly realize that your favorite character in the film hasn't said a word. I would say chances are your not enjoying the film all that much. I sought out The Brothers Bloom after loving Johnson's Looper last year, and liking Brick quite well after that. Hopefully The Brothers Bloom will be a little remembered blip on the directors resume as his career continues. It is the story of two orphaned brothers who at an early age develop a knack for the con.

In my opinion a good con movie is hard to pull off. First of all you have to make the audience connect with characters who are doing deplorable things because that is who your story has to center around. I think Johnson does this well enough. Secondly the con needs to be written so the audience understands it, but it fools them. It also must be believable enough that the target would be fooled as well. This is my biggest issue with The Brothers Bloom. The major con is so dull in fact that I had little interest in any twist that would come. Johnson also falls into the annoying habit of twisting the twist. When a director does this too often I don't feel pleasantly fooled anymore, I feel annoyed with the direction the story has taken.

The Brothers Bloom does again show off Johnson's ability to build an entertaining world. The characters are entertaining, each with a distinct style. I enjoy Johnson's use of score and music where necessary. Johnson is a stylish filmmaker and that is on full display here. Overall this film just falls short in its story arc, and at the end of the day that is the most important part of a con film.

It often seems precious and overconceived, its accumulating crosses and double-crosses as devoid of consequence as a child's backyard game.
  2. Reviewed by: Jessica Reaves
    The jaunty, energetic first 10 minutes of The Brothers Bloom are easily the best first 10 minutes of any film I've seen this year. And while the succeeding hour and 43 minutes doesn't hold up to the movie's opening scenes, the whole endeavor is still an awfully good time.
  3. A couple of rather Dickensian supporting roles by Robbie Coltrane and Maximilian Schell fall embarrassingly flat as they are more creations of costumes and makeup than actual flesh-and-blood. But then the same can be said for the entire movie.