Bully

7.3

1. Apr 16, 2012
    This is a review of the movie, NOT the message. It follows several parents and their middle school children, who are subject to taunting and physical abuse by their peers. There's too much filler footage of people walking and performing mundane activities, which renders the pacing tedious. Also, the camera loses or racks focus at least once a minute. Even if this is a stylistic decision,This is a review of the movie, NOT the message. It follows several parents and their middle school children, who are subject to taunting and physical abuse by their peers. There's too much filler footage of people walking and performing mundane activities, which renders the pacing tedious. Also, the camera loses or racks focus at least once a minute. Even if this is a stylistic decision, it's simply shoddy filmmaking. This could have been a moving 30 minute short, but there's simply not enough drama or emotion to compellingly convey the impact of bullying. Expand
  2. Jun 9, 2013
    You know, I don't need this to tell me what I think everybody already knows: Bullying is bad. This is all just a collaboration of tear jerking families; please note that I do feel bad for the families who's children are being put in these horrible situations and in no way am I ignoring the seriousness of the topic, but that's all this is. It just shows these families who's kids are beingYou know, I don't need this to tell me what I think everybody already knows: Bullying is bad. This is all just a collaboration of tear jerking families; please note that I do feel bad for the families who's children are being put in these horrible situations and in no way am I ignoring the seriousness of the topic, but that's all this is. It just shows these families who's kids are being bullied, and that's it. The major problem with this is that it doesn't offer any solution, and personally I think because there is no solution. Bullying is evil; to an extent, and we all know that with good there's always going to be bad. It's how the world works and we may wish for a world of purity and innocence, but then it wouldn't be called living. Unfortunately though some people have bigger misfortunes than others, we feel sympathy for them for their loss, but it seems almost wrong to release their stories as a theatrical film. That's another thing that bothered me, if the director wanted to spread the word of this, why didn't he/she just put it on a website or something? The film wasn't a great success at the box office, so is it because people don't care or because they don't want to see a cruel and just downright depressing feature. I personally think that one could get the message across better if they made it not as depressing, but at least offered some positive atmosphere as well. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Barbara VanDenburgh
    Apr 14, 2012
    It's true that the language in the film can be harsh -- but it's also very obvious that kids are hearing this kind of language in schools every day, much of it directed at them.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Apr 14, 2012
    This is nothing if not an important film. It is important for the bullied to see, if for no other reason than to realize they aren't alone, and it is important for the bullies to see as well as for the parents of both groups so everyone can understand just how devastating the problem is.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Apr 13, 2012
    Bully is a good start to a necessary conversation, but its loving voice is likely to be drowned out by haters who hide their own wounded hearts behind Internet pseudonyms and broadcast microphones.