7.6

1. Sep 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really didn't expect great reviews from critics but 30 out of 100 is a bit messed up; the story never gets too confusing and acting was fine, should have at least got 50 out of 100. I saw the third ending were he kills himself which I found more meaningful but unnecessary, though the others were weaker they just made more sense Expand
  2. Mar 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *Spoilers* Some idiot who reviewed this movie said this has nothing to do with the Butterfly Effect. Um, you obviously didn't watch the movie. The whole premise is....change one thing...change everything. I think this is an very hard film to watch displaying all the terrible things these kids do and how messed up they are. It was a bit over the top, but when it comes down to it, he sacrificed himself to save everyone in the end. That part was just amazing. And I'm talking about the director's cut. If you watch the theater's cut, it is just awful. What a terrible ending. This film basically has 2 different reviews, 1/10 for the theater cut, and 10/10 for director's cut. WATCH THE DIRECTOR'S CUT. Expand
  3. Oct 10, 2011
    I had a negative expectation with this movie hearing so much about it. I am not a fan of Ashton Kutcher on top of all that. I gave it a shot, I have to say, the movie was quite intriguing. It did keep you entertained following his mess of a life that is influencing his traumatized life to the point of neuroticism. It makes you wonder what some people that are labelled mentally disturbed go through based on life's events that we don't always control or can change if we wanted to. Expand
  4. Sep 8, 2010
    This movie was great, Do not believe the critics at all. I even checked, the worst critic review, he rated No Country for Old Men" and Drag Me To Hell" at 100.......the critics know nothing, this movie was very good, just make sure you watch the original, the alternate ending was not very good.
  5. Sep 21, 2010
    One of my favourites, its 30 on metacritic has really put me down regarding metacritic's judgement system.
    Anyway really original film, touching and in my opinion intelligently developed from start to end.
  6. Sep 28, 2013
    A unique and bold movie. The only possible weakness I could find was the conclusion (finale), which some people might find to abrupt or meaningless. I didn't think the finale ruined the movie and it is a surprise which makes for a twist the movie might not have otherwise had.

The movie was actually well thought through on many levels and considering the logic and story that is not an
    easy thing to accomplish. I don't think critics like fantasies, which is what this movie is.

Ultimately the movie is love story with a very strong theme and the conclusion supports that theme perfectly. In that way the conclusion works very well.

I don't the critics understand that. A lot of critics don't understand story.
  7. Feb 22, 2012
    I just watched this movie for the 2nd time in like 8 years and i have to say now that im not 12 i can say im blown away with this movie. Gets right to the point and the screenplay has things i couldn't even imaging they are so terrible, but they are brilliant events. I want to give it a 10 because poor acting except for some good scenes between Amy Smart and Ashton, so i deduct a point there.
  8. Feb 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't help but think that if the ending was more something consisting of a "big reveal" that'd show the audience who Evan really is, and everything he thought he knew about his life after killing Kailey with dynamite was a lie all along desperately created in his imagination, then the movie could've been more plausible with a severe delusional belief being the "clinical explanation" of his "time-travelling skills".

An ending like this could even be hinted at near the ending, considering that, when he had his severe "memory reconstruction" and eventual nosebleed in the bed of the clinical institution, the doctor dude at the end apparently already knew about Evan's adventures in campus, prison, and a wheelchair when the latter came to ask for the journals.

But then he travelled back to his pre-birth state and the movie ended up being metaphysical. But damn, it could've been a cool "mental movie" if something along the lines of my proposal would've been the case. Shutter Island does it, and I love that movie.
  9. Feb 24, 2013
    This is one of my favorite movies of all time. It is based on the theory that for every decision we make, an equal and opposite reaction occurs in another dimension. In this film, Ashton Kutcher's/Logan Lerman's character finds a way to enter these dimensions and make the opposite choice. This movie was so good, because the possibilities are endless. There were two sequals which I haven't seen. Normally I'm all for sequals, but this movie was so good, that I don't want to risk tarnishing it by watching the two direct to video sequals, and lets face it, they don't have Ashton in them. In The Butterfly Effect, Kutcher shows that he is versital and can do much more than just romantic comedy. This movie is a Sci-Fi lovers dream and a can't miss film! Expand
  10. Aug 31, 2013
    Excuse me? Why is the critic score 30?! This was an amazing movie and I know many people that love this movie, I'm absolutely baffled as to why the critics rated it so low. It's an interesting story, with many mind-bending aspects to it and it keep you entertained and thinking. I love movies like this and this one in particular is very good! Completely ignore the critics on this one, it's a crime that they rated this so low and every one of them should never be taken seriously after rating a movie like The Butterfly Effect this low. Expand
  11. Jan 22, 2014
    More creepy than I'd expected, but also a bit clever and funny. All in all, a mix of entertainment elements that can make young adults see some underlying laws that run through life. Unless you philosophize about time and space occasionally, it can provide some food for thought. And hey, it's rare that an American teenage-entertainer has philosophical content!
  12. Nov 10, 2012
    One of the best storys in film history, but deplorably reliazed. The child actors can't play their complex characters good but disappointingly, the grown-ups can't either! There are also some logical mistakes and disproportionate stylizations. It's no good movie, but I love the story and I was so touched with all the horrible butterfly effects in it.
  13. Nov 28, 2012
    It's almost overwhelmingly dark, but "The Butterfly Effect" still remains a solid effort from Kutcher and Bress/Gruber.
  14. May 4, 2013
    This movie is an amazing psychological thriller that takes you into the depths of cause and effect in no way I've ever seen before. This movie is great.
  15. Jun 4, 2013
    Muy buena esta pelicula del genero ciencia ficción, con una buena actuación de Ashton Kutcher.Esta pelicula lo que nos quiere mostrar es el concepto del efecto mariposa; una anomalía en el tiempo.
  16. Aug 25, 2013
    Just like The Guardian, it's either the critics are corrputed as hell or they have something against Ashton Kutcher. I loved this movie and can hardly believe the differences in user ratings and critic ratings in The Butterfly Effect AND The Guardian.

Watch it, it's a bit complicated, but that's the point.
  17. Jan 4, 2014
    Consumers and critics alike watch an Ashton Kutcher -movie with certain expectations, find themselves in over their heads.

This one had it's flaws, and at some points it seemed like it was little more than an excuse to portray grim imaginary on the screen. But hey, it worked for me!
  18. Mar 29, 2014
    Interesting idea, with a good theme. Unfortunately very badly acted with freakin huge plot holes. Plot caverns. Honestly I don't know why anyone would get Ashton to be in a film if they wanted the film to be good? I reckon they knew they had a weak script here. Anyway somewhere along the line they manage to get an interesting point about human nature across, but its pretty much smothered by the surrounding crap. Shame really. Expand
  19. Jan 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Huge indifference between the user ratings and critics ratings gives an idea how stupid the critics are really when analysing this movie .This one was a really gem of a movie, one in a thousand type, it would actually give the viewers blackouts after finishing this one. The end might not be as convincing as it could be but that don't take away the credit from the director for engaging or rather confusing our mind with such a well built movie. Expand
  20. Dec 16, 2013
    There are some titles which Metascore is higher than User Score. And there are some which User Score is higher. On this movie, the user score is 2,5 times higher than Metascore, which means that the experience the movie brings is better than it is while technically critically.
    Experience and technique, as well as theory and pratice are not opposites. The best movie is the one which
    succeeds on both points. That because, people who are more critic while watching movies will have their experience affected by a lack of technical quality.

So, the objective to my review is to judge experience and technique together, as they are related, but not the same thing.

This movie brings an awesome experience. It really moved with my way of seeing things (at least for a moment) and of thinking. Its idea is interesting, and opens various possibilities. The "key idea" of the movie came as a surprise. Untill there, there was such a "mistery" opened, and the answer to it was very satisfying.
    Characters are interesting, however kinda generic. Some of the passages didn't make any sense, while others where perfectly coherent and meaningfull. The end was cliche. But by the end of the day, that didn't mean that much to the experience.

So, going to where it interests... 8/10. Generic characters, senseless events and a cliche ending coexists with an awesome atmosphere, an awesome idea and awesome acting. The good side,, prevails, however it's sonewhat affected by the theorical flaws.
  21. Feb 21, 2014
    This is one of my most favorite movies of all time. I can't fathom what was going through the reviewers heads when they gave those scores. Looking at the user score restored some faith in people, but really? A critic review of 30 is reserved for Twilight-esque movies, not this gem.

1. Reviewed by: Staff (Not credited)
    A terrific story, years in the making, that clearly stays true to the uncompromising vision of its creators. The results are on the screen.
  2. An entertaining piece of supernatural nonsense whose sheer audacity disarms all (well, nearly all) skepticism.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    This overwrought and egregiously self-serious thriller about the poisonous fruit borne of child abuse grows more ridiculous by the quarter-hour and is poised for a theatrical life span scarcely longer than that of its eponymous insect.