The Butterfly Effect

7.9

1. Aug 31, 2013
    Excuse me? Why is the critic score 30?! This was an amazing movie and I know many people that love this movie, I'm absolutely baffled as to why the critics rated it so low. It's an interesting story, with many mind-bending aspects to it and it keep you entertained and thinking. I love movies like this and this one in particular is very good! Completely ignore the critics on this one, it'sExcuse me? Why is the critic score 30?! This was an amazing movie and I know many people that love this movie, I'm absolutely baffled as to why the critics rated it so low. It's an interesting story, with many mind-bending aspects to it and it keep you entertained and thinking. I love movies like this and this one in particular is very good! Completely ignore the critics on this one, it's a crime that they rated this so low and every one of them should never be taken seriously after rating a movie like The Butterfly Effect this low. Expand
  2. Scott
    Sep 6, 2004
    The best movie ive ever seen.
  3. KennyT.
    Oct 15, 2006
    I thought this was a pretty good movie. Obviously I must not understand the art of film. . .
  4. AMovieCritic
    Feb 3, 2006
    Whoa...what an underrated movie. Everything about this movie was amazing and well-thought out. The child actors in the flashbacks were amazingly real, especially Tommy, who was completely disturbing. The adult actors, from the excellent Amy Smart to the surprisingly convincing Ashton Kutcher, all deliver great performances. The plot of this movie...yeah, it's completely unbelievable, Whoa...what an underrated movie. Everything about this movie was amazing and well-thought out. The child actors in the flashbacks were amazingly real, especially Tommy, who was completely disturbing. The adult actors, from the excellent Amy Smart to the surprisingly convincing Ashton Kutcher, all deliver great performances. The plot of this movie...yeah, it's completely unbelievable, but I don't think it was meant to be believable. The reason for the time travel occuring is never even explained. But the movie manages to draw you in anyway. This was one hell of a movie. I thought the ending was well done, and even a little sad. The beginning was excellently done, the middle...although the whole wheelchair scenario easily could have been cut with no consequence to the story, the rest of the movie flows perfectly. Overall, this movie was a big surprise, and I'm glad it managed to find success at the box office and on DVD. I highly recommend it. Expand
  5. MaccaMacca
    Jun 10, 2007
    I really enjoyed this film, but I knew it would get bad reviews. Critics hate it when Hollywood does something ambitious and intense like this - they think it should be done by some random cult director instead. And they always hate films with complicated story lines like this one - they're too lazy to actually bother to keep up.
  6. AndrewR.
    Jul 8, 2004
    I am not sure of the differences between the director's cut and the theatrical release. I watched the director's cut and it was an amazing film. The concept was truly unique (few "change the past" concepts have truly looked at the darker, nihilistic side of time travel). I am not an Ashton Kutcher fan but his work was solid and not over the top (like most of his work). The I am not sure of the differences between the director's cut and the theatrical release. I watched the director's cut and it was an amazing film. The concept was truly unique (few "change the past" concepts have truly looked at the darker, nihilistic side of time travel). I am not an Ashton Kutcher fan but his work was solid and not over the top (like most of his work). The concept was complete and well woven into the story. There were no loose ends or unanswered questions, which is an achievement given the complexity of the plot. Again, do not know if the director's cut solved alot of the problems pointed out by the above reviews but I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. NOTE: This is an extremely dark movie (note the nihilisitc term used in alot of the reviews.) Not the happy ending type but well worth the rental. Expand
  7. AlexanderT
    Dec 4, 2009
    I thoroughly enjoyed this film. From acting to plot which I actually found reasonably unique and the fact things change frequently is more realistic to me, than if he changed one event once and the rest of the movie explored what the reprocussions were.
  8. GR
    Feb 27, 2009
    I have no idea why this film has received negative reviews, one of my fav films. Critics know nothing.
  9. AP
    Mar 26, 2010
    I frequently agree with critical opinion, but I was quite surprised to see this score. It's a pretty decent film, don't be thrown off.
  10. Feb 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't help but think that if the ending was more something consisting of a "big reveal" that'd show the audience who Evan really is, and everything he thought he knew about his life after killing Kailey with dynamite was a lie all along desperately created in his imagination, then the movie could've been more plausible with a severe delusional belief being the "clinical explanation" of his "time-travelling skills".

An ending like this could even be hinted at near the ending, considering that, when he had his severe "memory reconstruction" and eventual nosebleed in the bed of the clinical institution, the doctor dude at the end apparently already knew about Evan's adventures in campus, prison, and a wheelchair when the latter came to ask for the journals.

But then he travelled back to his pre-birth state and the movie ended up being metaphysical. But damn, it could've been a cool "mental movie" if something along the lines of my proposal would've been the case. Shutter Island does it, and I love that movie.
  11. Mar 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *Spoilers* Some idiot who reviewed this movie said this has nothing to do with the Butterfly Effect. Um, you obviously didn't watch the movie. The whole premise is....change one thing...change everything. I think this is an very hard film to watch displaying all the terrible things these kids do and how messed up they are. It was a bit over the top, but when it comes down to it, he sacrificed himself to save everyone in the end. That part was just amazing. And I'm talking about the director's cut. If you watch the theater's cut, it is just awful. What a terrible ending. This film basically has 2 different reviews, 1/10 for the theater cut, and 10/10 for director's cut. WATCH THE DIRECTOR'S CUT. Expand
  12. Feb 21, 2014
    This is one of my most favorite movies of all time. I can't fathom what was going through the reviewers heads when they gave those scores. Looking at the user score restored some faith in people, but really? A critic review of 30 is reserved for Twilight-esque movies, not this gem.
  13. BurakF
    Mar 26, 2010
    I'm absolutely blown away by how badly 'professional' critics have reviewed this gem. I first watched this film about 3-4 years ago and recently recalled how good it was so i got a hold of it and watched it for the second time, and i must say i enjoyed it just as much the second time as i did the first time. I'd definitely recommend watching this.
  14. DM
    Mar 5, 2010
    I think the critics were paid to give these bad scores. Because seriously, this isn't the best movie but it's a damn fine one. I loved it. Kutcher acted really well, the story was interesting and intrguing and for me the only downer is the ending. It's not that typical "happy ending" you'd want in this kind of movie but it did it's job. Great acting, great story: I think the critics were paid to give these bad scores. Because seriously, this isn't the best movie but it's a damn fine one. I loved it. Kutcher acted really well, the story was interesting and intrguing and for me the only downer is the ending. It's not that typical "happy ending" you'd want in this kind of movie but it did it's job. Great acting, great story: great movie. Expand
  15. Sep 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really didn't expect great reviews from critics but 30 out of 100 is a bit messed up; the story never gets too confusing and acting was fine, should have at least got 50 out of 100. I saw the third ending were he kills himself which I found more meaningful but unnecessary, though the others were weaker they just made more sense Expand
  16. May 4, 2013
    This movie is an amazing psychological thriller that takes you into the depths of cause and effect in no way I've ever seen before. This movie is great.
  17. AndersH.
    Jul 27, 2004
    It's a great movie about actions and consequenses, and it's based on very intresting theories about 4D (quadro physic). I love it! A must see for intelligent people.
  18. BoyMan
    Nov 2, 2005
    Surely the best film I ever seen, really a great realisation, great scenarii, etc... so good.
  19. jessscott
    Jan 14, 2009
    I enjoyed this film thoroughly the critics may of voted low because they're easily confused but i found it had depth, good acting and generally a good film don't be put of by the 30 if u like thrillers this is for you.
  20. Nov 28, 2012
    It's almost overwhelmingly dark, but "The Butterfly Effect" still remains a solid effort from Kutcher and Bress/Gruber.
  21. Jan 4, 2014
    Consumers and critics alike watch an Ashton Kutcher -movie with certain expectations, find themselves in over their heads.

This one had it's flaws, and at some points it seemed like it was little more than an excuse to portray grim imaginary on the screen. But hey, it worked for me!
  22. Jan 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Huge indifference between the user ratings and critics ratings gives an idea how stupid the critics are really when analysing this movie .This one was a really gem of a movie, one in a thousand type, it would actually give the viewers blackouts after finishing this one. The end might not be as convincing as it could be but that don't take away the credit from the director for engaging or rather confusing our mind with such a well built movie. Expand
  23. Sep 18, 2016
    This is an amazing movie. great story-line ... the ending is a bit sad, but still the movie is really solid. I don't see why the critics have given this movie such a less rating.
  24. BurcuA.
    Oct 20, 2004
    This film really helped me. now i don't think too much about my past events anymore. i learned;not to be spiteful of them. 'cuz it could be much bad than now...
  25. Ishii
    Feb 2, 2004
    I thought it was a very well made movie. And I thought the ending was very good, I wasn't expecting that at all. And the refrence to "Se7en" was good. I loved that movie too.
  26. LouisM.
    Apr 3, 2006
    I cannot understand why the critics hated this movie so much. Sometimes I think they are full of it. I have very high standards when it comes to movies and seldomly give high ratings. This was good. The movie pulled me in. It was as if I was living his "nightmare" unfold. Would have been more powerfull if the ending with an "unhappy" ending.
  27. DerekG.
    Oct 11, 2004
    Something different with a twist / my favorite movie.
  28. antonisj.
    Dec 31, 2004
    This is the best movie that i have ever seen i must say it changed the way i think and i just loved the plot keep up the good work.
  29. AndrewJ.
    Jan 24, 2004
    I dont understand all the negative comments about this movie. To be honest this is the first movie in a long time that has actually made me go through so many emotional highs and lows during the movie.......Way go to ashton.
  30. MaxwellS.
    Jan 26, 2004
    This was a great movie. If you don't like it, fine, whatever. But it is a great film running along the lines of Donnie Darko and the theme of divine intervention. Overall, fantastic despite it being one of the hardest movies to watch for the first hour due to such intense content, expecially with one of the kids.

1. A terrific story, years in the making, that clearly stays true to the uncompromising vision of its creators. The results are on the screen.
  2. An entertaining piece of supernatural nonsense whose sheer audacity disarms all (well, nearly all) skepticism.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    This overwrought and egregiously self-serious thriller about the poisonous fruit borne of child abuse grows more ridiculous by the quarter-hour and is poised for a theatrical life span scarcely longer than that of its eponymous insect.