7.4

1. Aug 28, 2012
    The Cabin In The Woods is strange, funny and brilliant. I've never watched movie like this before. Special thanks to hilarious duo Jenkins - Whitford, notes for Jenkins's performance, it's the most hilarious performance I've ever seen this year.
  2. Jan 3, 2014
    what a wonderfully gory, hyper-meta, funny and surprising film this is! there is so much here to enjoy, and i'm really not one for scary movies. great performances and very clever writing and what an ending!
  3. Jun 9, 2013
    If you’re a fan of Josh Whedon chances are you’ll enjoy this film. It’s far from perfect but it’s unique spin on the horror genre certainly kept me entertained from start to finish.
  4. Jun 28, 2012
    A film that's a hybrid of The Evil Dead and The Truman Show is novel to say the least. For the most part, the film is engaging, funny and scary, and is incredibly playful in its deconstruction of horror conventions, particularly those that were dominant in the 1970s and 80s. Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford make a great comedy double act as a pair of senior technicians working for aA film that's a hybrid of The Evil Dead and The Truman Show is novel to say the least. For the most part, the film is engaging, funny and scary, and is incredibly playful in its deconstruction of horror conventions, particularly those that were dominant in the 1970s and 80s. Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford make a great comedy double act as a pair of senior technicians working for a company that simulates horror movie scenarios as part of a sinister grand plan. The group of young adults who take an ill-advised trip to an isolated cabin in the woods are all of a certain character archetype, a fact that becomes particularly relevant in the finale, but are all given a bit of a twist by writer/producer Joss Whedon ( the jock and his hot girlfriend played by Chris Hemsworth and Anna Hutchinson, for instance, actually have brains). Kristen Connolly's Dana is a decent and empathetic primary protagonist, but the real casting highlight is Fran Kranz, who completely steals the show as one of the great all-time movie stoners Marty, whose unique drug-addled world logic not only aids in its survival, but provides some of the film's best jokes. Drew Goddard has his name on the credits as the sole director, and in that role he appears skilled, but Joss Whedon's fingerprints are all over the film, and you have to wonder just how much Whedon allowed Goddard to do on set. Whedon's writing is funny and layered as usual, and the film as a whole has at least as much vigour and sense of fun as his earlier projects. Some astute genre revisionism and deconstruction and the sheer watchability of most of the film is nearly ruined in its final act. The last half hour is incredibly over-the-top and dumb, bordering on moronic, and threatens to de-value all the good that has come before. Here Whedon and Goddard look like they're abandoning their convictions for what their film should be, and pandering to modern blockbuster viewers and their incessant craving for elaborate action sequences and expensive special effects. The visuals in this portion of the film are terrific, but everything below the surface of the film becomes a little hard to make out at this point. The final revelation of the film is also incredibly disappointing, and a rare example of lazy writing by Whedon. If Whedon and Goddard had just stuck to their guns and produced a finale worthy of the intelligence, creativity and perfect pacing of the rest of the film, then The Cabin in the Woods might have been a classic of postmodern cinema. It's still good, don't get me wrong, and the vast majority of viewers, particularly avid horror nuts and Whedon fans will get a lot out of it, but Joss "The Boss" did stumble at the last hurdle trying to prove himself talented at all styles of filmmaking (like he needed to!) Expand
  5. May 3, 2012
    Such a horrible mish-mash styles that just drags on and on. None of the elements ever come together. There are bits of so many different movies tossed into the blender that you end of with a pile of goop at the end. The movie starts out promising. The banter is hip and paced quickly to move the story. The characters range from flat to likable. But then the weirdness starts. Once in theSuch a horrible mish-mash styles that just drags on and on. None of the elements ever come together. There are bits of so many different movies tossed into the blender that you end of with a pile of goop at the end. The movie starts out promising. The banter is hip and paced quickly to move the story. The characters range from flat to likable. But then the weirdness starts. Once in the woods, the story takes a dive. Actually, it suffers a psychotic break. The smart talk ends and plot self-destruction begins. Expand
  6. May 5, 2012
    I definitely did not expect to enjoy this film but it did what it set out to do. It was highly enjoyable and I can't give a detailed review because I feel like you have to go in to it with no expectations in order to like it. Be open-minded.
  7. Apr 14, 2012
    Seeing the 9 out of 10 on this status should be enough to get you in the theater and watch this great film. It's more comedy then horror without making it a comedy. This changes the horror genre for the fourth time. First it was Nosferatu then it was Halloween then Scream. Now we have Cabin in the Woods who's take on horror will be bigger then the film itself. It's not important if theSeeing the 9 out of 10 on this status should be enough to get you in the theater and watch this great film. It's more comedy then horror without making it a comedy. This changes the horror genre for the fourth time. First it was Nosferatu then it was Halloween then Scream. Now we have Cabin in the Woods who's take on horror will be bigger then the film itself. It's not important if the film was the greatest because it does have flaws. What's important is the fact that it defines a new genre, a better and more evolved look at horror! Expand
  8. Apr 13, 2012
    I've been anticipating this movie for a long time, not because I thought it would be good, but because i'm a huge horror movie fan. I was fully expecting Cabin In The Woods to be another sad attempt at rebuffing Friday The 13th style scares, and what I got was a completely unique interpretation of what a horror movie should be. 'Cabin' successfully redefines the horror genre... something II've been anticipating this movie for a long time, not because I thought it would be good, but because i'm a huge horror movie fan. I was fully expecting Cabin In The Woods to be another sad attempt at rebuffing Friday The 13th style scares, and what I got was a completely unique interpretation of what a horror movie should be. 'Cabin' successfully redefines the horror genre... something I haven't seen since 'Scream'. Expand
  9. Oct 21, 2012
    This is far from the cliche horror movie. There is actually a sense of brilliance in this film. With a typical horror film start, the original finds its way to the top as it is filled with surprises and plot twists. I'd recommend it for it's cleverness and production.
  10. Jun 8, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods will undoubtedly find its way into the hearts of horror fans everywhere. The plot follows five friends who decide to venture to the titular cabin. These characters fall into stereotypical categories: the bimbo (Hutchinson), the stoner (Kranz), the jock (Hemsworth), the smart guy (Williams) and the virgin (Connolly). Of course, these are not the only clichesThe Cabin in the Woods will undoubtedly find its way into the hearts of horror fans everywhere. The plot follows five friends who decide to venture to the titular cabin. These characters fall into stereotypical categories: the bimbo (Hutchinson), the stoner (Kranz), the jock (Hemsworth), the smart guy (Williams) and the virgin (Connolly). Of course, these are not the only cliches exploited. Upon arriving at a seemingly abandoned gas station, the group manages to insult the creepy, Confederate flag-waving owner. Meanwhile the cabin itself is as foreboding as any, but nobody (save the pothead) really minds or even notices. When the basement trap door suddenly swings open, the group decides to see what might be down there. Etc, etc. Meanwhile, a team of scientists in an underground laboratory closely watches every move the characters make. To go on further might ruin some of the surprises that await. The Cabin in the Woods takes several twists and turns over the course of its ninety-plus minutes. The film provides a few scares, but excels mainly in delivering laughs while skewering conventions. Writers Goddard (who also directed) and Whedon know their way around the genre and exactly how to send it up. Credit must also go to their superb cast, who fit their characters perfectly and find plenty of grounds from which to mine humor. The cherry on top comes in the form of an intelligent and well-observed metaphor. All in all most horror fans should be pleased more than pleased with The Cabin in the Woods. Some may be thrown by the approach, particularly those who enjoy more straightforward fare. Audiences who stick through to the end will likely find themselves having a good time. Expand
  11. Apr 13, 2012
    The way I see it: You're going to have one of two reactions to "The Cabin in the Woods", either you'll like it (maybe even love it) or you won't (most seem to be loving it.) One thing is for sure though, you're not going to see this one coming a mile away, don't even bother guessing the plot while you're watching it. When the credits roll, don't think and wonder what the point of the movieThe way I see it: You're going to have one of two reactions to "The Cabin in the Woods", either you'll like it (maybe even love it) or you won't (most seem to be loving it.) One thing is for sure though, you're not going to see this one coming a mile away, don't even bother guessing the plot while you're watching it. When the credits roll, don't think and wonder what the point of the movie was or why you sat down for nearly two hours watching what you just watched- Just enjoy and accept it for what it is, which I'll leave to you to find out what that is exactly. . . . have fun. Expand
  12. Dec 4, 2012
    part horror part comedy is what The Cabin in the wood tries to be.the horror was an emotion of fearing the unknown that lies beyond human knowledge while the comedy is a satire on the young generation that was depicted with the killing of typical american teenager. either horror or comedy,director Drew Goddard alongside Joss Whedon have crafted one of the most weird,twisted,and mindpart horror part comedy is what The Cabin in the wood tries to be.the horror was an emotion of fearing the unknown that lies beyond human knowledge while the comedy is a satire on the young generation that was depicted with the killing of typical american teenager. either horror or comedy,director Drew Goddard alongside Joss Whedon have crafted one of the most weird,twisted,and mind altering horror movie in recent years. it is a horror movie that surely will become a cult in years to come. Expand
  13. May 18, 2012
    cabin in the woods is insane. insane in the way that it understands what i want to see. the third act especially was one of the most satisfying things i have ever seen on screen. if you love fun, you love cabin in the woods.
  14. Sep 26, 2013
    I don't think that this is a great movie, by any means. Nor do I love [or hate] Whedon. But I do think that the users giving this movie scores in the red are why we can't have nice things. Specifically, I think that they're the kind of movie fans who prevent American filmmakers [as a whole] from trying crazy stuff. Sure, some crazy stuff is going to fall flat on its face. So what?I don't think that this is a great movie, by any means. Nor do I love [or hate] Whedon. But I do think that the users giving this movie scores in the red are why we can't have nice things. Specifically, I think that they're the kind of movie fans who prevent American filmmakers [as a whole] from trying crazy stuff. Sure, some crazy stuff is going to fall flat on its face. So what? This movie isn't a normal horror movie. So what? That means it deserves a zero?
    This movie messes around with the horror movie genre and its clichés in a way that's far, far more interesting than the Scream movies. If more movies like this were appreciated, even when they're modest successes like this one, then we would have more risks taken by American filmmakers and studios. And as a consequence of that, we'd have more playing around with story types, and less of Hollywood making the same crap over and over and over.
    What really makes me shudder is the idea that some users who gave this a 0 or 1 may also complain about Hollywood recycling ideas. We need movies that tear apart genres in thoughtful ways, even if they're 'popcorn movies'.
  15. Aug 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not amazing ... but definitely not bad.

With a core idea which is quite innovative and awesome the film does tend to go a bit all over the place from the middle on and the character's "feats" are non-existent ("I actually rooting for this girl, she's got such heart", while in fact she hadn't done anything but run once or twice up to that point) and the acting a mediocre at best (though, bad acting is kinda mandatory in the horror genre isn't it).

With that being said, it IS a fun watch and to the fans of the genre it's a step up from what's been released these last few years.

What can I say, if you like horror movies, you'll enjoy it to some extent, but I still think they went a bit overboard as the film goes along, thus losing the grittiness that I personally like to have in my horror flics, going a bit too flashy with the special effects and a tad too many "baddies". You usually want to have your one Freddy Krueger or one Texas Massacre family to focus on, throwing all of them, including the kitchen sink (and a merman) in there at the end was a bit too "Michael Bay-esque" for my liking.

But hey, watch it. It's good.
  16. Jun 30, 2012
    VERY refreshing film. The characters have been done before, but so what? This film has every horror film creature known to man. I only wish this was a TV show instead of a film.
  17. Xon
    Jun 30, 2013
    I thought this waa Very cool horror film. It was entertaining and thrilling and scary and gross. The movie had everything I'd expect from a horror movie. As a bonus it was well acted and executed, You won't waste your time with this, but it is kind of cerebral as well, andI guesss many people aren't prepred to make the investment.
  18. Aug 26, 2012
    Possibly the best horror movie in years, THE CABIN IN THE WOODS is frequently funny, highly original and ridiculously awesome! In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with this film. In fact, it is a horror fan's dream.
  19. Apr 17, 2012
    Not as great as I thought it would be, but still a cool movie. I love the direction it has, with all the cliches and unexpected laughs, but I just feel like they could expanded it a bit more and really dug further into the last 30 minutes.
  20. Sep 23, 2012
    If you've seen the trailers, chances are this movie came across as formulaic, cliche, and painfully predictable. After having seen the it, I can only think that they did this intentionally so that you'd be that much more surprised when you actually saw it. If you go to this to see a run of the mill slasher with cut and paste characters, your world is going to be thoroughly rocked. ButIf you've seen the trailers, chances are this movie came across as formulaic, cliche, and painfully predictable. After having seen the it, I can only think that they did this intentionally so that you'd be that much more surprised when you actually saw it. If you go to this to see a run of the mill slasher with cut and paste characters, your world is going to be thoroughly rocked. But since you know that a twist is coming (even though I've done my best not to spoil it) maybe you should take your friends to see it and don't give them any heads up. Trust me, they'll thank you afterwards.

This movie is anything but generic, and feels like a giant satire of all horror movies before it, but horror movie fans won't be disappointed for lack of horror if they go see this looking for viscera and terror. The movie contains a healthy amount of both, but with surprising success it also tosses comedy into the mix (although admittedly it is pretty dark comedy). Characters that at first glance appear to be bland stereotypes end up being extremely well developed and likable, and even the painfully generic plot and setting end up taking on an almost unreal depth.

this movie points and ridicules every other horny teenager murderbox movie that exists, while at the same time elevating them far above their previous scope and making them seem more dramatic. Honestly I really can't express exactly why this movie is so amazing without spoiling it for people, so all I can say is have a little faith and give it a shot. It's on redbox now, is a dollar really that much to risk? Trust me, this is a movie you don't want to miss (because if your friends want to talk about it around you, they're going to hate you for not having seen it)
  21. Apr 8, 2013
    What a great movie. Seriously, from star to finish i had a blast. The 3rd act of this movie is the best i've ever seen from this genre. Don't expect to be scared though, cause you wont be, but you'll enjoy the hell out of it, ill give you that. A parody of everything that is wrong with horror movies.
  22. Aug 27, 2012
    Great year for Joss Whedon. While this film was shelved for a number of years, The Cabin in the Woods were released in 2012, just before The Avengers was released. It's typical Whedon, with a wise cracking, self referential script, something we have seen him doing for the past decade or so, unleashed to the public. As a horror film it works, but it is a 'self referential' commentary onGreat year for Joss Whedon. While this film was shelved for a number of years, The Cabin in the Woods were released in 2012, just before The Avengers was released. It's typical Whedon, with a wise cracking, self referential script, something we have seen him doing for the past decade or so, unleashed to the public. As a horror film it works, but it is a 'self referential' commentary on the genre itself. A cult classic. Expand
  23. Apr 15, 2012
    This film was awesome! I wasn't completely sure about seeing it at first, but my brother said it would be good and damn was he right!! It was a little confusing at first but everything becomes clear as the film progresses, and there's a few twist and turns that make the story really interesting. I was also in stitches laughing at points, but that may just be my sense of humour. If horrorThis film was awesome! I wasn't completely sure about seeing it at first, but my brother said it would be good and damn was he right!! It was a little confusing at first but everything becomes clear as the film progresses, and there's a few twist and turns that make the story really interesting. I was also in stitches laughing at points, but that may just be my sense of humour. If horror is your thing, make sure you watch this film! Expand
  24. Apr 14, 2012
    I feel this was a really great film. As many reviewers have stated, go in blind to this one. To any of the reviewers trying to over generalize the idea that this movie rips off others movies I wanna say this. The human race, we're like Taco Bell. No matter how many items you see on that menu, it's still just different combinations of the same ingredients. The saying "there is nothingI feel this was a really great film. As many reviewers have stated, go in blind to this one. To any of the reviewers trying to over generalize the idea that this movie rips off others movies I wanna say this. The human race, we're like Taco Bell. No matter how many items you see on that menu, it's still just different combinations of the same ingredients. The saying "there is nothing new under the sun" applies to everything we see. This film dares to shatter cliches, laugh at existing ones, and offers twists and turns that only a real d-bag would spoil for a would-be viewer. Is it the best film of all time? Of course not. But it is one hell of a thrill ride, and that was the point. For this reviewer, I feel they made a resounding attempt to be fresh and original with this Horror/ Dark Comedy / Sci-Fi. If, like me, you feel like that kind of approach should be praised in this land of remakes and sequels, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  25. Sep 3, 2012
    This was a good movie. I think one of the writers was Joss Whedon, of Buffy and Serenity fame, and this film has that same sort of polish and quality as those classics. As so many other commentators have said, you can't really say much without giving away the plot, so I won't. Its a clever, scary, funny movie. Lots of side references to other movies for those who like that sort of thing.This was a good movie. I think one of the writers was Joss Whedon, of Buffy and Serenity fame, and this film has that same sort of polish and quality as those classics. As so many other commentators have said, you can't really say much without giving away the plot, so I won't. Its a clever, scary, funny movie. Lots of side references to other movies for those who like that sort of thing. What I will say though is don't be surprised if you can make a good guess at the overall plot quite early on into the movie. To me that doesn't matter, its a great movie, and one I'll watch several times. Expand
  26. May 24, 2012
    I will never look at a horror movie the same way again. This film blew my mind. It was funny, it had a great story, and it put an amazing twist on a genre that has for too long followed the same ridiculous formula. I cannot recommend this movie enough. My only complaint is the acting by the teenagers was kinda bad (especially Fran Kranz), but Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford were fantastic.
  27. Oct 23, 2012
    A well made slasher & Splatter movie, which pays homage to the horror genre with some nice twists and turns. The Cabin in the Woods retains the same high quality expected of a Joss Whedon production.
  28. Apr 22, 2012
    This movie is not in the same realm of movies as Scream, Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, or Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. Those three movies pull off their horror/comedy near perfectly, The Cabin in the Woods, on the other hand, seemed a little too corny when they were fishing for laughs. There were definitely some funny parts do not get me wrong but it was just a very peculiar wayThis movie is not in the same realm of movies as Scream, Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, or Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. Those three movies pull off their horror/comedy near perfectly, The Cabin in the Woods, on the other hand, seemed a little too corny when they were fishing for laughs. There were definitely some funny parts do not get me wrong but it was just a very peculiar way of stabbing at the horror genre. During these corny parts there is also a sense of arrogance pouring out as if the makers thought that this was the most clever thing ever to be put on film, sorry, but it is not. The story definitely goes places I never thought it would but at that point the movie shifts to complete gore/cgi/sci-fi mode, which was certainly entertaining but what the f*ck happened to the horror? The horror elements of the movie are actually pretty great but it's literally less than 1/3 of the movie which disappointed me. This will never go down as a great horror movie, mainly because it's not a horror movie. I think the hype it generated beforehand ruined it a little for me because it was being compared to Scream and was getting all this praise. But seriously Scream is one million times better than The Cabin in the Woods. Overall I enjoyed watching it but it came off as an arrogant comedy/sci-fi flick masquerading as a horror movie. I say if you want a relatively recent example of a good horror comedy thennn Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil > The Cabin in the Woods. Yep, that's right, I said it, whatcha ganna do about it Expand
  29. Sep 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An enjoyable, clever and pretty original movie, with good humour. A little too heavy handed at times.

The film is very clever and satirises, not only horror films, but horror film viewers. Though some of the film's writing isn't as good as it tries to be. Despite the movie parodying cliché, cheesy movies. It is a pity that in order to parody this, it had to become one, at least for the first half. The only thing that kept my interest was the scientist/technician comedic scenes, because once I realised the horror was meant to be cliché I was just waiting for people to die and get it over with, like any other cliché movie.

This film makes out the stoner dude as though it's never happened before. Otherwise the 'gods' would've become angry with the sacrifices before. There's been many 'moronic stoner dudes' in horror films, yet this one is immune because weed immunises against the chemicals they induce?

I'd still recommend the movie, it's probably on par with Scream. It's no Evil Dead though.
  30. May 17, 2012
    An excellent blend of comedy and thriller The Cabin in the Woods has redefined the horror film genre. I have heard many say that this is one of the best horror films in the last 10 years and I believe that they would be mostly right about that. My only critique of that is that the movie is not so much scary as it is clever and well written. As someone who does not really like horror filmsAn excellent blend of comedy and thriller The Cabin in the Woods has redefined the horror film genre. I have heard many say that this is one of the best horror films in the last 10 years and I believe that they would be mostly right about that. My only critique of that is that the movie is not so much scary as it is clever and well written. As someone who does not really like horror films I was pleasantly surprised by this film. One can definitely see the influence of Joss Whedon in the writing. This will likely be in my Top 10 of the year and is worthy of much praise. "Am I on speaker phone?" Odin's Score: 90/100 Expand
  31. Oct 1, 2012
    The only things I didn't like about this movie were the title and the guy who played the stoner. Other then that, It was a pretty good film that mixed horror and comedy rather well. Definently worth checking out.
  32. Jun 13, 2012
    This is the most fun I have had watching a thriller/horror film in as long as I can remember. I don't like the genre of horror much. I think it's generally predicable, and forced. This film, however, took me for a trip. Watching stupid characters get killed is fun and all, but when the underlying plot of this film is exposed in its latter half it really grabbed a hold of my attention. IThis is the most fun I have had watching a thriller/horror film in as long as I can remember. I don't like the genre of horror much. I think it's generally predicable, and forced. This film, however, took me for a trip. Watching stupid characters get killed is fun and all, but when the underlying plot of this film is exposed in its latter half it really grabbed a hold of my attention. I haven't seen anything like this before. It twists and turns all over the place, and left me in a gleeful state. Is it scary? No. Is it enjoyable? Decidedly yes! I want to watch it again in the near future with lots of popcorn and a girl to cuddle with. Expand
  33. Dec 26, 2012
    Having re watched the trailer after the film, the it does pretty much give away what the film is really about and make the twists a lot less surprising. However it is a very good, if surprisingly simple story. It sets up a very weird situation and actually explains WTF is going on by the end, which most films wouldn't. Just don't watch the trailers if you haven't already.
  34. Apr 16, 2012
    Good but not great. A lot of kids are highly overrating it. There isn't many surprises, twists, or turns as most other reviews suggest, it's not that terribly smart either. The gore wasn't that good and the special effects were very meh too. Tucker and Dale vs Evil did the dark comedy horror genre better. See this movie but do not expect greatness, I was quite a bit let down...
  35. Nov 12, 2012
    Had benefit of watching this without any knowledge of what it actually was. Brilliant take on the genre with quite a few laugh out loud moments. Well worth the time and money.
  36. Nov 19, 2012
    Cabin in the Woods is a uniquely crafted dark horror comedy that is writer Josh Whedon's homage to classic slasher flicks. With an astoundingly funny vein of dark comedy running through the entire film, this film sets itself apart as a treatise of the horror genre, something that Scream accomplished a decade previously but Cabin in the Woods elevates to another level.
  37. Apr 13, 2012
    I had been looking forward to this movie for a while and though I could see some of what was coming I definitely didn't foresee the grand scope of things. The only things I can say negative(if they are actually negative) is that I wish we could have seen more of the things used and also I wish we could have a sequel....though i dont think thats possible. I know I am being vague but to ruinI had been looking forward to this movie for a while and though I could see some of what was coming I definitely didn't foresee the grand scope of things. The only things I can say negative(if they are actually negative) is that I wish we could have seen more of the things used and also I wish we could have a sequel....though i dont think thats possible. I know I am being vague but to ruin it for everyone would be a crime. Go see this immediately, its awesome fun :) Expand
  38. Apr 14, 2012
    I did enjoy the film to a point I would hardly call it ground breaking though its two or three other films put together but it is done well.The problem I have with the film is the end story it just seems rushed and not much thought put in to just left me feeling a bit let down.
  39. Sep 1, 2014
    I commend the effort in attempting to make an original film today; however, Cabin in the Woods clearly gets lost in its own complex, mind puzzle. So close!
  40. May 4, 2012
    I've never been a fan, as a rule of horror movies, however, the trailer drew me to this one and i'm glad it did, the awful acting we usually get in horror movies wasn't there this time round, in fact, the whole cast were excellent, the special effects were really very good and the humorous, intelligent dialogue (another thing you don't usually get in horrors) was brilliant, loved the film,I've never been a fan, as a rule of horror movies, however, the trailer drew me to this one and i'm glad it did, the awful acting we usually get in horror movies wasn't there this time round, in fact, the whole cast were excellent, the special effects were really very good and the humorous, intelligent dialogue (another thing you don't usually get in horrors) was brilliant, loved the film, Chris Hemsworth, although with less to do in this than he does in Thor, was great in it too. Expand
  41. Apr 26, 2012
    Horror and humour can go well together, because they share an essential element: surprise--which is what this film is somewhat lacking in. It's a potentially good film, but ultimately ends up being not sexy, funny, or scary enough. If the point of this film was to make a statement, it's not one that ends with an exclamation mark. Also, to those for whom this matters: plot holes abound.
  42. May 21, 2013
    After being told to not watch this, I decided to watch it. More proof that the general movie going public and critics have no idea what constitutes a good movie. Joss Whedon uses this film as a vehicle to commentate on the popularity of "torture porn" that seems to dominate the horror box offices. The acting is superb. There were scenes that could have been lighted better but all in allAfter being told to not watch this, I decided to watch it. More proof that the general movie going public and critics have no idea what constitutes a good movie. Joss Whedon uses this film as a vehicle to commentate on the popularity of "torture porn" that seems to dominate the horror box offices. The acting is superb. There were scenes that could have been lighted better but all in all this a fun horror movie with "hidden message" that made all the great horror movies, well, great. A must watch for any horror fan. Expand
  43. Apr 30, 2012
    This could be described as a funny horror movie, but I'm going with a very dark comedy. But it works well either way. Funny, scary, fast and above all - smart! The unexpected turns, sparkling dialog and note-perfect acting make this a joy all the way through. I haven't had this much out-and-out fun at a movie in years. Very highly recommended, and worth seeing on the big screen before DVD,This could be described as a funny horror movie, but I'm going with a very dark comedy. But it works well either way. Funny, scary, fast and above all - smart! The unexpected turns, sparkling dialog and note-perfect acting make this a joy all the way through. I haven't had this much out-and-out fun at a movie in years. Very highly recommended, and worth seeing on the big screen before DVD, too, just to get all the details. Expand
  44. May 5, 2012
    This movie has lots of twists and turns which make it interesting and entertaining to watch. I must admit i was not able to predict the ending, including how crazy it was, which in itself was entertaining. Would have liked a little more explanation as to all the whys and hows i was left with though.
  45. Oct 8, 2012
    This is what we call a original and entirely different attempt.Its a great horror movie.
    Funny and horrifying at same time.
    I didn't get to watch a decent horror movie through months but then came this strange and innovative scripted slasher film.i really enjoyed it. when the movie started i was like" What the hell is going on ?" but going through movie i got everything. really good
    Funny and horrifying at same time.
    when the movie started i was like" What the hell is going on ?"
    but going through movie i got everything.
    really good concept.Movie goes through different aspects. spectacular work with the cinematography ,music,editing and performances of all the actors and not to forget splendid visuals.
    Especially Fran Kranz and Kristen Connolly acted so well.
    Overall,its a modern type original,clever,creatively made and well crafted gore-fest flick with funny elements with something new to watch.
  46. Jun 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the better horror movies I've seen in a long time. I loved the whole plot of the movie, with sacrifices and whatnot. The characters were good, but they did save the two most likeable characters til the end, which was good. The comedy in the horror movie was great, I actually kinda liked the "villains" in the show haha. Ultimately it was a horror movie, and the death scenes overall were alright nothing spectacular. The ending was pretty epic and mindblowing, and I must say pretty satisfying. Overall a excellent hybrid between a horror and a comedy, with a great story and a awesome setting/atmosphere. Expand
  47. May 13, 2012
    People kept telling me Cabin in the Woods teaches an old dog new tricks. In some parts, yes, this movie did have a different approach in the telling of a thriller/horror. And for the most part it was minor details that set this film apart from its competitors. I really liked the way Cabin in the Woods stared out, and some of the opening dialouge was funny. But, how the story got to wherePeople kept telling me Cabin in the Woods teaches an old dog new tricks. In some parts, yes, this movie did have a different approach in the telling of a thriller/horror. And for the most part it was minor details that set this film apart from its competitors. I really liked the way Cabin in the Woods stared out, and some of the opening dialouge was funny. But, how the story got to where the kids are introduced was a little bizarre. The set up, I feel, still felt like a rather common horror movie. It was mostly the lines that connected the big plot points in this movie that felt new. The kids still venture on down to the strange house's spooky basement, but why they go down there is a different sort of push to the plot. The characters were nothing out of the ordinary either, none of them overly alluring. The end gets a little bit messy and kinda sci-fi. And the very last scene felt way too familiar, and I think they were aware of it (which in a way is a pro). But all in all Cabin in the Woods keeps you interested for the majority of the movie, just the last 1/3 of it was a bit average. I know it sounds like I'm being a little harsh on it for still giving it a positive review, but that mostly to counter all the overly positive feedback its getting from it's other critics. I mean, a 90 something percent on Rotten Tomatoes? Come on. Expand
  48. May 15, 2012
    The most interesting horror movie I've seen in a while - a clever premise that is fed to you in parallel with a seemingly traditional teen slasher flick. Saw it twice in theatres; will be buying the DVD.
  49. May 20, 2012
    This film was an interesting mash up. Joss Whedon, the creator of Firefly and Buffy gives his input into the story as well as the director of Cloverfield and countless Lost episodes, Drew Goddard, both make this film worth watching. At first, you are turned on your ear. Is this really a horror movie? I think not. The name of the game is simple: four teens, the woods, killers. ThroughoutThis film was an interesting mash up. Joss Whedon, the creator of Firefly and Buffy gives his input into the story as well as the director of Cloverfield and countless Lost episodes, Drew Goddard, both make this film worth watching. At first, you are turned on your ear. Is this really a horror movie? I think not. The name of the game is simple: four teens, the woods, killers. Throughout the film you learn a little bit more, and by the end you are like HOLY S***! Needless to say, not the typical horror film. Watch this movie if you want something originally interesting. Also, this movie is not for the faint of heart. The ending sequence is very gory. Almost campy in the gore with blood spraying this way and that. Otherwise, a great film. Expand
  50. May 17, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods works solely on the merit of its humor. It is well written and very funny. People looking for genuine horror will most likely be disappointed, although there are some intense scenes and because the characters are fleshed out and enjoyable you can root for them. Admittedly the ending disappointed me on the first viewing, although on the second I accepted the movieThe Cabin in the Woods works solely on the merit of its humor. It is well written and very funny. People looking for genuine horror will most likely be disappointed, although there are some intense scenes and because the characters are fleshed out and enjoyable you can root for them. Admittedly the ending disappointed me on the first viewing, although on the second I accepted the movie as a comedy and was able to enjoy it fully. All that being said, the movie is not as original as some of its highest praise is suggesting. Feast, a movie from 2006, comes to mind as a horror comedy that identified the cliches in the genre, but succeeded where Cabin in the Woods failed in being funny and qualifying as extreme horror. Still, The Cabin in the Woods is above average and still may be the funniest movie I have seen all year (the banter in the control room between two of the main characters is always gold). You need a sense of humor, and some sense in general when it comes to being genre savvy to enjoy this movie. A must-see for horror fans and horror-comedy fans alike. Expand
  51. Nov 11, 2012
    Cabin in the woods is a gory horror flick. The special effects are fantastic. More importantly Cabin in the woods is one of the most unique and interesting horror movie concepts I've seen in the last five years. Don't pass this movie up!
  52. May 26, 2012
    Truly one of the greatest horror films of the past few years. The originality gave new meaning to the future of horror. The humor struck perfectly with a mix that made you feel sick for laughing, yet pleased to be a part. Must see horror of 2012!

J-ROD
  53. Jun 3, 2012
    Funny And Scary.. This Is In The Writing Style Of Zombieland..
    Amazing Movie!
    For Once A Horror Movie Didn't Feel Rushed!
  54. May 29, 2012
    Cabin was quite enjoyable - not particularly frightening...more like jump-in-your-face startling. It was a well done lampoon of cheesy horror flicks, but with a twist. Worth the $8.
  55. Jan 23, 2013
    Not exactly a horror movie, but more of a tribute to the horror classics, the Cabin in the Woods presents an original plot with literally TONS of references to cult horror classics and even some of the video games (Will you spot the Boomer, Hunter, Tank and the Witch from Left 4 Dead?) Can't describe the plot without spoiling it, you just have to see it for yourself, but I guarantee theNot exactly a horror movie, but more of a tribute to the horror classics, the Cabin in the Woods presents an original plot with literally TONS of references to cult horror classics and even some of the video games (Will you spot the Boomer, Hunter, Tank and the Witch from Left 4 Dead?) Can't describe the plot without spoiling it, you just have to see it for yourself, but I guarantee the twists (and boy there are many of them) will be unexpected. The only thing is that the movie isn't exactly scary, which doesn't make it any less entertaining. A must-watch for anyone, especially the horror fans. Expand
  56. Jun 8, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods WOW it was a great film the actors and actresses are great the writers the directors,producers and everyone who was involved , The film has a understanding story im not going to give it away for anyone who has not seen it. This gore filled film is amazing definitely recommend it to anyone it also made me laugh a few times it does have a comedy side to it too but thisThe Cabin in the Woods WOW it was a great film the actors and actresses are great the writers the directors,producers and everyone who was involved , The film has a understanding story im not going to give it away for anyone who has not seen it. This gore filled film is amazing definitely recommend it to anyone it also made me laugh a few times it does have a comedy side to it too but this movie is amazing Expand
  57. Jun 10, 2012
    This is a very good comedy movie, even more so because I walked in expecting a horror flick. The two greatest accomplishments of this movie would have to be their transitions, which are absolutely amazing, and their spin on the idea of our cookie cutter horror movies. I have recommended it to multiple people as a comedy and they loved it, so I am going to recommend it to y'all.
  58. Dec 25, 2012
    If you think that the Cabin in the Woods is just like any other typical slasher/horror film, then you are completely wrong. I thought the same before watching it and it totally proved me wrong and I'm really glad that it did. First of all, I appreciate the great work done by Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard, they have made something so unique and fresh that you start wondering that why didIf you think that the Cabin in the Woods is just like any other typical slasher/horror film, then you are completely wrong. I thought the same before watching it and it totally proved me wrong and I'm really glad that it did. First of all, I appreciate the great work done by Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard, they have made something so unique and fresh that you start wondering that why did nobody ever think of it before. The writing is great, performances are good (just the right amount of what you need in a horror film). The storyline is brilliantly incorporated in the genre, the rituals and the sacrifices to keep the Gods happy. The dark humor element is fantastic, really made me laugh at times. The monsters are horrific. I read some reviews by people who are complaining that the film is stupid and terrible. When a typical horror film is made, they complain and when a fresh and original idea is penned into a film, they still complain. Those people can never learn to appreciate the good work. Most of the people who liked the movie also think that the ending sucked, it should have been something else, but that's where the writing of Goddard and Whedon comes in. They knew we would be expecting and predicting the typical ending but they made a daring move by making a fine climax. Not only the climax, the entire film is fine, I have never watched anything like this before and for that, I thank Whedon and Goddard's imagination. If you are a real fan of horror/slasher films and are fed up of watching all those same and predictable ones over and over again, then this film is an absolute treat for you. The Cabin in the Woods is definitely one of the best horror films of 2012 and a rebirth of horror genre. Expand
  59. Sep 24, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods is some genre-busting, fan boy-pleasing, energetic stuff, that resonates in the horror fan in all of us to deliver some of the funniest criticisms, and celebrations, of the genre to date. The overall tone of the film is inconsistent, but that's also a compliment - the movie is so ambitious that it spins way out of control, far beyond the limitations of any standardThe Cabin in the Woods is some genre-busting, fan boy-pleasing, energetic stuff, that resonates in the horror fan in all of us to deliver some of the funniest criticisms, and celebrations, of the genre to date. The overall tone of the film is inconsistent, but that's also a compliment - the movie is so ambitious that it spins way out of control, far beyond the limitations of any standard horror movie to become this meta-beast. Any horror movie fan can see that this film has been made with a gleeful love of the genre, flaws and all, and the final half-hour delivers one of the greatest visually spectacular finales I have seen all year (even compared to that of another Joss Whedon project, The Avengers). The movie is so funny, weird, and just plain awesome that I can't really recommend it any higher to the average horror movie fan, but dissenting voices should probably stay away. This whole thing will come off as ridiculous to them. Expand
  60. Oct 2, 2012
    Although at times it suffers from cheesy dialogue, The Cabin in the Woods is easily on the best horror films of our time, poking fun at the cliches of horror, while being pretty scary ,as at least one of your greatest fears appears, in one of the best films of 2012.
  61. Jul 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Cabin in the Woods is directed by Drew Goddard and this is his directorial debut. There Expand
  62. Dec 12, 2013
    This movie is AMAZING, it recreates the whole idea of slasher film, will horror basically, ITS SO GODDAMN AWESOME, its like EvilDead meets Serinity, the film is great and worth a good sit down, 10/10
  63. Jul 22, 2012
    ust saw Cabin in the Woods. Wow. What a movie. What can I say about Cabin in the Woods? Well not much really. This movie is so packed to the brim with things that can so easily be spoiled that I suggest you go see this movie RIGHT NOW! Avoid all the amazing reviews its been getting, avoid the trailers, avoid the TV spots and most of all AVOID ALL DISCUSSIONS WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEENust saw Cabin in the Woods. Wow. What a movie. What can I say about Cabin in the Woods? Well not much really. This movie is so packed to the brim with things that can so easily be spoiled that I suggest you go see this movie RIGHT NOW! Avoid all the amazing reviews its been getting, avoid the trailers, avoid the TV spots and most of all AVOID ALL DISCUSSIONS WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN IT!!!!! I wont get into all the details on why this movie is brilliant but I will say that it is one of the most original and just bat **** crazy movies I have ever seen. Just go into this movie expecting an extremely fun horror/comedy and you will have an amazing time. CABIN IN THE WOODS FTW!!!!!!!!!!

I'm seeing a lot of people claiming Cabin in the Woods is the worst movie ever. First of all, that is a bold faced lie. It is no where near the worst movie ever. Secondly, I'm thinking people are going into this expecting this to be a straight up horror slasher movie in the vein of Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th. DO NOT GO INTO THIS MOVIE THINKING THAT!!!!!! Like I said in my previous post, Go in to this movie expecting a really fun and just bat **** crazy movie. Actually, just go into it not knowing what to expect. Have an open mind and all shall be well.
  64. Dec 27, 2012
    This movie was a great satire on modern horror. If you legitimately enjoy slashers and are looking for more of the same, this isn't the movie for you. It's a spoof, and judging it based on jump-scares and nail-biting suspense is like rating a romantic comedy on gore.
  65. Aug 10, 2012
    Be forewarned, there's a lot of blood and severed bod parts in this one... "The Cabin in the Woods" mixes humor and gore well to put a fresh, if not twisted, take on the prototypical slasher movie.
  66. Aug 22, 2012
    The title kind of discourage me to watch it, i would have thought this movie would just be a murder / killing type, but i was wrong after i found out that Joss Whedon was directing the movie and i gave it a go. I enjoyed it from the beginning to the end of the movie. The storyline was really surprising and the ending was unexpected.
  67. Aug 25, 2012
    I went and saw this at the cinema within a week of release read no reviews just watched all the trailers and I was incredibly hyped for the film as I thought it was going to be bloody and hilarious. I was not disappointed. Marty and Dana were the best characters in the film. The Idea behind the film is simple. The creationary mind of Whedon and Goddard truly strikes again. I can't say muchI went and saw this at the cinema within a week of release read no reviews just watched all the trailers and I was incredibly hyped for the film as I thought it was going to be bloody and hilarious. I was not disappointed. Marty and Dana were the best characters in the film. The Idea behind the film is simple. The creationary mind of Whedon and Goddard truly strikes again. I can't say much more without using Spoilers but It is a film definitely worth seeing. Expand
  68. Sep 6, 2012
    The end of this movie makes it all worthwhile. It is smart and the way it plays out actually rewrites every other horror movie you've seen before! Quite fresh!
  69. Sep 19, 2012
    The only reason this movie was unpopular was because they couldn't really give anything away in the trailers. It is such a great, interesting, new twist on horror movies. This is the first of 2 hits written by Joss Whedon, the second being The Avengers, and I'm eager to see what's next. I don't want to give anything away, so I won't say anything. If you see it without knowing much, thenThe only reason this movie was unpopular was because they couldn't really give anything away in the trailers. It is such a great, interesting, new twist on horror movies. This is the first of 2 hits written by Joss Whedon, the second being The Avengers, and I'm eager to see what's next. I don't want to give anything away, so I won't say anything. If you see it without knowing much, then you'll have a much better film experience. This movie is just all around fantastic, and you HAVE to see this movie. Even if you don't like horror movies, you'll still find this movie interesting. Expand
  70. Nov 16, 2012
    Oh how advertising can absolutely ruin your excitement to see a film. Being marketed as a generic, run-of-the-mill horror film is the worst thing that can happen to you from a critical standpoint, but from a commercial point of view, there
  71. Nov 18, 2012
    Maybe not the best horror film ever, but certainly the most and ingenious one. The perfect blend of pitch black comedy and horror executed to perfection.
  72. Oct 15, 2012
    This movie was awful. I'm a teenaged girl and I watched this movie while home alone, all the lights turned off, at two in the morning- and it didn't scare me for a second. The idea was stupid, the monsters and villains were right out of a parody, and the writing was closer to comedy than horror- or thriller- hell or Drama. The acting was good ( especially given what they had to workThis movie was awful. I'm a teenaged girl and I watched this movie while home alone, all the lights turned off, at two in the morning- and it didn't scare me for a second. The idea was stupid, the monsters and villains were right out of a parody, and the writing was closer to comedy than horror- or thriller- hell or Drama. The acting was good ( especially given what they had to work with), and Hemsworth & Williams were sexy as ever but the movie was boring and not even worth the dollar I paid for redbox. Also "the whore" and " the virgin" are the only female roles they can come up with? Unsurprising but disgusting nonetheless. Expand
  73. Oct 27, 2014
    Cabin in the woods is a unique take on slasher/horror movies. While the gimmick is clever I found it to be lacking in any kind of realistic scares. The whole premise is cool when everything is revealed but do not expect any real crazy scares.
  74. Oct 31, 2012
    Great movie
    Wether or not its great horro movie will differ according to personal taste.
    I loved it.
    Dramaturgical it is brilliant.
    You can watch it as a horror if you are prepared to be more entertained then scared
  75. Jan 5, 2013
    The "Cabin in the Wood" never loses any momentum throughout the whole movie. There are many main points that connect very well. The only thing I don't really like is the killing scenes, it looks kind of unrealistic. But the plot is fantastic.
  76. Jan 19, 2013
    A fiendishly clever "The Cabin in the Woods," a deceivingly insightful horror film that elicits just as many knowing chuckles as horrified gasps. Five teenagers head off for a weekend at a secluded cabin in the woods and they find an odd assortment of relics, but when one of the women, Dana (Kristen Connolly), reads from a book she awakens a family of deadly zombie killers. There's farA fiendishly clever "The Cabin in the Woods," a deceivingly insightful horror film that elicits just as many knowing chuckles as horrified gasps. Five teenagers head off for a weekend at a secluded cabin in the woods and they find an odd assortment of relics, but when one of the women, Dana (Kristen Connolly), reads from a book she awakens a family of deadly zombie killers. There's far more going on however than meets the eye as the five campers are all under observation. This is no ordinary cabin in the woods, but actually a set for a diabolical scientific experiment. Beneath the cabin is a basement, and beneath that is a vast modern laboratory headed by technology geeks (Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford) who turn dials, adjust levers and monitor every second on a bank of TV monitors. Goddard also takes on directing responsibilities, and his feature film debut demonstrates a keen eye for various genres, all incorporated seamlessly into this film. Laughter and satire are always close by, and I can't recall another film that's remotely close to its offering of thrills, spills and laughter. There are plenty of moments where you're kept on the edge of your seat, with surprising twists and turns popping up every now and then. Screenwriters Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard take the quintessential horror film ensemble of characters, and ridiculous scenarios and then inject a dose logical rationale, keeping it thoroughly entertaining. The idea of free will and our decision making process as people is explored. Do horror characters make choices because of the requirements of the genre, or because of their own decisions? This is not a perfect film by any means, but its's exciting because it ventures so far off the map for your typical horror film. The movie becomes kind of a greatest hits collection of horror movie techniques and clichés; twisting them around, while poking fun at them simultaneously. In a day and age where everything is a remake or a reboot, how refreshing to enjoy something completely innovative, and executed with great skill. Highly recommended and requires multiple viewings. Expand
  77. Dec 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Quite possibly one of my favorite horror films of all-time and not for the sheer scares or thrills, but for the dialogue and smart plot twists on the genre. Any film that ends with an angry god rising up from the Earth and Nine Inch Nails' "Last" blasting at your eardrums is a very big win in my book. Expand
  78. Feb 10, 2013
    The Cabin in the Woods is absolutely absurd! It twists and turns multiple times throughout its short running time, borrowing heavily from a variety of films in the horror genre (and other genres as well), but under the sure direction and brilliant screenplay of Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard, this film is a complete breathe of fresh air in a world of doomed horror movies.
  79. Oct 5, 2013
    I wouldn't have watched this if it were not for my best friend's recommendation and boy was I surprised at how much fun and how fantastic this film is. So many horror cliches that it plays up well and that is the point of this project. Dark humor that both makes fun of the cliches in horror flicks while sticking to the actual horror and gore parts. Definitely recommended that you watch this!
  80. Dec 14, 2012
    Going into this movie, I had no clue what to expect. I had not seen any trailers or reviews. I knew absolutely nothing about it. Once I saw Joss Whedon's name on it, I got really curious. The first hour or so the movie more or less plays out like EVERY slasher movie that came before it. But as the second half of the movie takes over the real story leaps forward and HOLY S*** is it great.Going into this movie, I had no clue what to expect. I had not seen any trailers or reviews. I knew absolutely nothing about it. Once I saw Joss Whedon's name on it, I got really curious. The first hour or so the movie more or less plays out like EVERY slasher movie that came before it. But as the second half of the movie takes over the real story leaps forward and HOLY S*** is it great. This movie just surprised the hell out of me. Great writing, intentionally generic (but likable) characters, fantastic FX. While it isn't a Horror-Horror but more accurately a parody of a Horror that knows what it is and plays with that as much as it can. It's been a really long time since I've seen a movie like this and I say thank you Mr. Whedon for giving me such a wonderfully entertaining movie. Expand
  81. Jan 9, 2013
    This film is nothing short of amazing and easily my favourite film of all-time! With twists & turns at every corner it was one hell of a ride to watch the first time and I'm still enjoying it now (3 times I've seen it). Lead by a great cast and with one heck of a storyline I would find it hard to find a Horror fan that didn't enjoy this film. The best thing about it is its such an originalThis film is nothing short of amazing and easily my favourite film of all-time! With twists & turns at every corner it was one hell of a ride to watch the first time and I'm still enjoying it now (3 times I've seen it). Lead by a great cast and with one heck of a storyline I would find it hard to find a Horror fan that didn't enjoy this film. The best thing about it is its such an original idea that hasn't been done and yes it had one hell of an ending! The best film there is, enough said! Expand
  82. Jan 19, 2013
    One of the many good things in this movie was the fact that not only the writers of horror movies do bad things to their victims but also and many times much worse to their evil monsters. thumbs up...
  83. Jun 8, 2013
    One of the greatest and funniest horror films ever made, it has a great story and a powerful scenes with great visuals and exquisite acting, I am a big horror fan, this one is good, it is really good, although I was barging for something smaller and simpler, but it turned out to be way too different than expected!
  84. Aug 3, 2013
    Considering that the plot in this movie didn't make any sense, and was just plain stupid Cabin in the Woods does bring some funny, sexy, and cool moments to the table. The acting was really average, the special effects were awesome, but by the end of the movie you begin to realise that the director could have done so much more with it. It starts off good then the ridiculous plot twistsConsidering that the plot in this movie didn't make any sense, and was just plain stupid Cabin in the Woods does bring some funny, sexy, and cool moments to the table. The acting was really average, the special effects were awesome, but by the end of the movie you begin to realise that the director could have done so much more with it. It starts off good then the ridiculous plot twists ruin the movie to a certain degree. I was a bit disappointed, considering I was ecpecting more, but a decent flick nonetheless. In 3 4 days after watching it you will forget most of it. Average. Expand
  85. Jun 28, 2013
    Somewhat original, funny, and at time gruesome, the cabin in the woods is miles beyond the average horror movie, but I still felt like it could have been better. The thing the film does best is wittily send up genre conventions in a way that's funny but without resorting to a ridiculous Scary Movie level. It does this mostly through smart dialogue and its meta premise. The two leadSomewhat original, funny, and at time gruesome, the cabin in the woods is miles beyond the average horror movie, but I still felt like it could have been better. The thing the film does best is wittily send up genre conventions in a way that's funny but without resorting to a ridiculous Scary Movie level. It does this mostly through smart dialogue and its meta premise. The two lead characters are effective and you root for them to live, which is the opposite of most horror movies, and the visual effects aren't bad either. However, it's not truly that scary, and the very ending was pretty disappointing to me. Still, I recommend it due to its skewering of clichés and its humor. I liked it, just didn't love it. Expand
  86. May 1, 2013
    With a giant god like hand, Whedon destroys viewer expectation by carefully crafting the perfect satire film with a wit, intelligence and depth that is often lacking in the films it makes fun of.
  87. Jun 18, 2013
    A film with a generic horror movie name is everything but. When I first saw the trailer for this movie I thought it was good to be another awful horror film, but the twist led by the characters played by Bradley Whitford and Richard Jenkins makes this one of the most inventive horror films I've seen in a while.
  88. May 22, 2013
    A totally overproduced 08/15 horror movie.
    The effects are so cheap and gimmicky.
    The movie is not scary at all and not even funny. Very overrated!
  89. Nov 1, 2013
    At first you think that this movie is some imitation of "The Evil Dead" with a bit of clichés, but no. It's not, not at all. It is way better. Overall, this is the best horror movie of the decade, possibly of all time. This film is the most entertaining horror movie of all time, and the craziest, most fun, most exciting, most puzzling, most jaw-dropping horror movie ever. Pure awesomeness
  90. May 22, 2013
    Surprisingly smart entertainment. I don't watch or like horror movies, and prompted by a friend was told I had to see it. Finally went on the ride, and by the end was blown away.
  91. Jun 1, 2013
    I have really mixed feelings after watching this movie. It's sarcastic horror movie with a lot of humour things but containing some aspects of mainstream movie.
  92. Aug 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rotten Tomatoes ranked this as the 34th greatest horror film ever. I don't blame them. Cabin in the woods will gain more cult following as the years go on, but after years of horrible horror flicks, The Cabin In The Woods will give you one of the greatest horror movies of all time. Just when you think it's your typical slasher flick, it takes a complete left turn down "What the hell?" lane, and I won't give away too much, but I will say this. There's a unicorn that stabs a guy. It's awesome. Expand
  93. Jun 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Why people liked this film????? It is not something more than a joke. Seriously? people under the earth send some monsters to kill people who live in the cabin for the gods??? Yeah, it is original. ORIGINAL STUPIDITY. At some points it made even laugh because i didn't want to cry of what i was watching. Thumbs to the ground. Expand
  94. Jun 25, 2013
    I went in this movie expecting a cheap slasher horror film, but I was having high expectations, because it has been announced in development since 2009, what I got was way too more in depth than I was barging for, this movie can't be reviewed without spoiling it, what I have to say is...SEE THE CABIN IN THE WOODS, it is different dark comedy with mystery and great visuals (hint) SEE THIS MOVIE.
  95. Dec 22, 2014
    It is amazing on how so many people like this movie.

In my opinion, the movie has ripped off so many aspects in films including the character personalities, and even escalates to obscure stupidity near the end of the film. The only thing that I can say that is good about this movie is the monsters themselves, and the makeup and CGI that went down to make them. But unfortunately,
    It is amazing on how so many people like this movie.

But unfortunately, the downright stupid plot and oversexualized female and male characters mixed together with a horrendous plot brings this movie down in the hell it came from.
  96. May 25, 2014
    "Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics."

You know when i first watched this movie i really wasn't expecting anything from it because well you know horror movie these days are just not that good and its usually every 10 years that we get one that steps it up. Although by the end of the film i was actually surprised by how much i ended up liking it, but seeing that its from Joss Whedon i knew it was going to be something special. With the directorial debut of Drew Goddard the writer for Cloverfield a film that i didn't like, i wasn't sure how this was going to turn out but he ended up doing a decent job, im sure he and Joss Whedon collaborated on things so it would turn out good.

The film follows your group of typical college friends Dana(Kristen Connolly) the sweet innocent girl, Jules(Anna Hutchison) the slutty one, Curt(Chris Hemsworth) the cool jock, Marty(Fran Kranz) the hilarious stoner, and Holden(Jesse Williams) the sensitive guy, taking a trip out to a isolated cabin out in the woods for a weekend of partying. At this point the movie is really cut and dry with your typical horror movie but only that you know something is brewing up, you're just not sure what that is. Soon the Partying stops when the group of friends find themselves being hunted down and killed off but not before figuring out why it happened to them. The film is fast paced, gory, and filled with plenty of dark humor( mostly coming from the pot head) Although the movie my be highly cliched it gives reasons for why it is, like when they stop at the gas station and they confront the old creepy dude, thats is just about every horror movie dealing with going into the middle of nowhere.

The last 15 minutes of the movie is without a doubt the best part of it, you get to wave after wave of monsters killing guards. This part of course had the best scene of the whole movie when you get to see a unicorn kill a man by ramming his horn into him the first time i had seen that i literally fell on the floor it was so funny even though i have watched the movie a couple times now i still chuckle when that part comes up its that great, another great death is the merman killing Bradley Whitford, he wanted to see it so bad but i bet he didn't think it would be the thing to kill him. Sigourney Weaver being in it was a complete surprise to me so its always a pleasure seeing her. She kinda had the same role in this as she did in "Paul" were she is the BIG BOSS overseeing everything and you don't get to see her until the end only teasing her voice.

Overall i give it a 7.5
  97. Sep 8, 2013
    It starts off incredibly weak but somehow manages to get better. The plot twist is good and it features a large amount of humor and enjoyable moments. It truly is a satirical horror film, it's just too bad that it didn't work out with Valve.
  98. Sep 15, 2013
    Everyone seems to actually like this flick. I don't get how. The story is dull, cliché; and even when you realize there's a twist, it's boring and unentertaining.
  99. Sep 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went to watch this with a group of friends, and I wasn't taken with it as much as they were. The storyline wasn't fantastic, neither was the acting, but it was an alright film overall as I could just about follow what was happening. Ending was awfully american (two main characters survive to the end, one doesn't shoot the other despite if they did they would have saved the world, but of course they couldn't because of feelings and though. Expand
  100. Nov 29, 2013
    Although this movie wasn't meant to be much of a horror movie, it still had a great way of putting a movie together. The real twist is at the beginning. You have no idea what's going on until the end. The more you think about it, the more it makes sense.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Apr 16, 2012
    A horror-movie attic sale is, in essence, exactly what Cabin in the Woods is, an attempt to exorcise the genre of its formulaic possession by stuffing the movie full of its most overused and predictable elements - and then dumping them through clever skewering.
  2. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    Apr 14, 2012
    Because the first narrative is so crushingly generic (which turns out to be the point), most of the amusement derives from trying to figure out what the second one is all about. I'm not sure I ever did, but the climactic one-two punch of special-effects chaos and meta-movie chin stroking should have the fanboys trembling with delight.
  3. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Apr 13, 2012
    I've seen a lot of rip-offs of "The Truman Show" and a lot of rip-offs of "Scream." I guess I have to give credit to The Cabin in the Woods for ripping off both at once.