7.4

1. Aug 26, 2012
    Possibly the best horror movie in years, THE CABIN IN THE WOODS is frequently funny, highly original and ridiculously awesome! In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with this film. In fact, it is a horror fan's dream.
  2. Aug 25, 2012
    I went and saw this at the cinema within a week of release read no reviews just watched all the trailers and I was incredibly hyped for the film as I thought it was going to be bloody and hilarious. I was not disappointed. Marty and Dana were the best characters in the film. The Idea behind the film is simple. The creationary mind of Whedon and Goddard truly strikes again. I can't say much more without using Spoilers but It is a film definitely worth seeing. Expand
  3. Aug 22, 2012
    The title kind of discourage me to watch it, i would have thought this movie would just be a murder / killing type, but i was wrong after i found out that Joss Whedon was directing the movie and i gave it a go. I enjoyed it from the beginning to the end of the movie. The storyline was really surprising and the ending was unexpected.
  4. Aug 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not amazing ... but definitely not bad.

With a core idea which is quite innovative and awesome the film does tend to go a bit all over the place from the middle on and the character's "feats" are non-existent ("I actually rooting for this girl, she's got such heart", while in fact she hadn't done anything but run once or twice up to that point) and the acting a mediocre at best (though, bad acting is kinda mandatory in the horror genre isn't it).

With that being said, it IS a fun watch and to the fans of the genre it's a step up from what's been released these last few years.

What can I say, if you like horror movies, you'll enjoy it to some extent, but I still think they went a bit overboard as the film goes along, thus losing the grittiness that I personally like to have in my horror flics, going a bit too flashy with the special effects and a tad too many "baddies". You usually want to have your one Freddy Krueger or one Texas Massacre family to focus on, throwing all of them, including the kitchen sink (and a merman) in there at the end was a bit too "Michael Bay-esque" for my liking.

But hey, watch it. It's good.
  5. Aug 19, 2012
    This movie is just f*cking awesome! It plays with the classic horror conventions and does it with and absolute wicked sense of humor. Some scenes in this film that can be considered iconic and this film wil certainly get a deserved high ranking among the cult classics. This is one you HAVE to see!
  6. Aug 10, 2012
    Be forewarned, there's a lot of blood and severed bod parts in this one... "The Cabin in the Woods" mixes humor and gore well to put a fresh, if not twisted, take on the prototypical slasher movie.
  7. Jul 22, 2012
    ust saw Cabin in the Woods. Wow. What a movie. What can I say about Cabin in the Woods? Well not much really. This movie is so packed to the brim with things that can so easily be spoiled that I suggest you go see this movie RIGHT NOW! Avoid all the amazing reviews its been getting, avoid the trailers, avoid the TV spots and most of all AVOID ALL DISCUSSIONS WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN IT!!!!! I wont get into all the details on why this movie is brilliant but I will say that it is one of the most original and just bat **** crazy movies I have ever seen. Just go into this movie expecting an extremely fun horror/comedy and you will have an amazing time. CABIN IN THE WOODS FTW!!!!!!!!!!

I'm seeing a lot of people claiming Cabin in the Woods is the worst movie ever. First of all, that is a bold faced lie. It is no where near the worst movie ever. Secondly, I'm thinking people are going into this expecting this to be a straight up horror slasher movie in the vein of Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th. DO NOT GO INTO THIS MOVIE THINKING THAT!!!!!! Like I said in my previous post, Go in to this movie expecting a really fun and just bat **** crazy movie. Actually, just go into it not knowing what to expect. Have an open mind and all shall be well.
  8. Jul 22, 2012
    I have to give the movie credit for having some unexpected twist but overall it is probably one of the most ridiculous movies I have ever seen. Starts off interesting, then gets ridiculous, and continues to get more ridiculous as the film continues. Luckily I saw it at the $1.99 theater and still paid about $1.95 too much!!
  9. Jul 18, 2012
    "Cabin in the Woods" is like a Halley's Comet. You're only gonna see it once, and you're never gonna see anything like it again your whole life.
  10. Jul 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Cabin in the Woods is directed by Drew Goddard and this is his directorial debut. There Expand
  11. Jun 30, 2012
    VERY refreshing film. The characters have been done before, but so what? This film has every horror film creature known to man. I only wish this was a TV show instead of a film.
  12. Jun 28, 2012
    A film that's a hybrid of The Evil Dead and The Truman Show is novel to say the least. For the most part, the film is engaging, funny and scary, and is incredibly playful in its deconstruction of horror conventions, particularly those that were dominant in the 1970s and 80s. Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford make a great comedy double act as a pair of senior technicians working for a company that simulates horror movie scenarios as part of a sinister grand plan. The group of young adults who take an ill-advised trip to an isolated cabin in the woods are all of a certain character archetype, a fact that becomes particularly relevant in the finale, but are all given a bit of a twist by writer/producer Joss Whedon ( the jock and his hot girlfriend played by Chris Hemsworth and Anna Hutchinson, for instance, actually have brains). Kristen Connolly's Dana is a decent and empathetic primary protagonist, but the real casting highlight is Fran Kranz, who completely steals the show as one of the great all-time movie stoners Marty, whose unique drug-addled world logic not only aids in its survival, but provides some of the film's best jokes. Drew Goddard has his name on the credits as the sole director, and in that role he appears skilled, but Joss Whedon's fingerprints are all over the film, and you have to wonder just how much Whedon allowed Goddard to do on set. Whedon's writing is funny and layered as usual, and the film as a whole has at least as much vigour and sense of fun as his earlier projects. Some astute genre revisionism and deconstruction and the sheer watchability of most of the film is nearly ruined in its final act. The last half hour is incredibly over-the-top and dumb, bordering on moronic, and threatens to de-value all the good that has come before. Here Whedon and Goddard look like they're abandoning their convictions for what their film should be, and pandering to modern blockbuster viewers and their incessant craving for elaborate action sequences and expensive special effects. The visuals in this portion of the film are terrific, but everything below the surface of the film becomes a little hard to make out at this point. The final revelation of the film is also incredibly disappointing, and a rare example of lazy writing by Whedon. If Whedon and Goddard had just stuck to their guns and produced a finale worthy of the intelligence, creativity and perfect pacing of the rest of the film, then The Cabin in the Woods might have been a classic of postmodern cinema. It's still good, don't get me wrong, and the vast majority of viewers, particularly avid horror nuts and Whedon fans will get a lot out of it, but Joss "The Boss" did stumble at the last hurdle trying to prove himself talented at all styles of filmmaking (like he needed to!) Expand
  13. Jun 13, 2012
    This is the most fun I have had watching a thriller/horror film in as long as I can remember. I don't like the genre of horror much. I think it's generally predicable, and forced. This film, however, took me for a trip. Watching stupid characters get killed is fun and all, but when the underlying plot of this film is exposed in its latter half it really grabbed a hold of my attention. I haven't seen anything like this before. It twists and turns all over the place, and left me in a gleeful state. Is it scary? No. Is it enjoyable? Decidedly yes! I want to watch it again in the near future with lots of popcorn and a girl to cuddle with. Expand
  14. Jun 10, 2012
    This is a very good comedy movie, even more so because I walked in expecting a horror flick. The two greatest accomplishments of this movie would have to be their transitions, which are absolutely amazing, and their spin on the idea of our cookie cutter horror movies. I have recommended it to multiple people as a comedy and they loved it, so I am going to recommend it to y'all.
  15. Jun 10, 2012
    Yes the final reveal/twist was cute, is it enough to make a bad movie work? No, you can ask Shyamalan he'd know. This movie spends so much time trying to be "meta" and clever that it completely forgets it's supposed to entertain its audience. There's just nothing going on for the entire first half hour! And then it takes another half hour to really get going, already wasting 1 hour for nothing. By the time the big reveal happens I didn't care, and why would I as the movie makes no effort at all to make the characters or the story interesting. No work no payoff, sorry. Expand
  16. Jun 8, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods WOW it was a great film the actors and actresses are great the writers the directors,producers and everyone who was involved , The film has a understanding story im not going to give it away for anyone who has not seen it. This gore filled film is amazing definitely recommend it to anyone it also made me laugh a few times it does have a comedy side to it too but this movie is amazing Expand
  17. Jun 8, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods will undoubtedly find its way into the hearts of horror fans everywhere. The plot follows five friends who decide to venture to the titular cabin. These characters fall into stereotypical categories: the bimbo (Hutchinson), the stoner (Kranz), the jock (Hemsworth), the smart guy (Williams) and the virgin (Connolly). Of course, these are not the only cliches exploited. Upon arriving at a seemingly abandoned gas station, the group manages to insult the creepy, Confederate flag-waving owner. Meanwhile the cabin itself is as foreboding as any, but nobody (save the pothead) really minds or even notices. When the basement trap door suddenly swings open, the group decides to see what might be down there. Etc, etc. Meanwhile, a team of scientists in an underground laboratory closely watches every move the characters make. To go on further might ruin some of the surprises that await. The Cabin in the Woods takes several twists and turns over the course of its ninety-plus minutes. The film provides a few scares, but excels mainly in delivering laughs while skewering conventions. Writers Goddard (who also directed) and Whedon know their way around the genre and exactly how to send it up. Credit must also go to their superb cast, who fit their characters perfectly and find plenty of grounds from which to mine humor. The cherry on top comes in the form of an intelligent and well-observed metaphor. All in all most horror fans should be pleased more than pleased with The Cabin in the Woods. Some may be thrown by the approach, particularly those who enjoy more straightforward fare. Audiences who stick through to the end will likely find themselves having a good time. Expand
  18. Jun 3, 2012
    Funny And Scary.. This Is In The Writing Style Of Zombieland..
    Amazing Movie!
    For Once A Horror Movie Didn't Feel Rushed!
  19. May 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The final girl, archetypally speaking, needs to be a virgin, somebody cut from the same cloth as Laurie Strode, the last babysitter standing in John Carpenter's Halloween. Since the 1979 thriller served as the blueprint for the modern horror film, Laurie is long-held by aficionados to be the gold standard, as final girls go. Not for nothing, in The Cabin in the Woods, is one of the characters named Sitterson, a moviemaking hack who works in a federal studio which mass-produces, in essence, snuff films, disguised as escapist fun for the general public. It's a franchise that, on the surface, resembles The Evil Dead movies. Sam Raimi, however, was a maverick, working with a different paradigm; he didn't codify women into virgins and whores, so in a sense, The Cabin in the Woods, set-ups aside, is not really paying homage to the trilogy, because the blood from the ritual killings wouldn't know where to flow, since the functionality of the machine that supplies the hieroglyphs with its gory outline, is predicated on filmic stereotypes(the jock, the brain, etc...). Raimi's characters would be too nondescript for the beast, who needs satiation from stock teenage plasma, a byproduct of reductionist storytelling. The beast has no use for a final man. Bruce Campbell always survives. In the film production-within-the-film, the recycled story, during most of its running time, goes according to plan: the virgin's friends die, leaving Dana alone to kill the redneck zombies. Similar to Laurie's fate at the hands of Michael Myers, a fate interrupted by some last-second heroics performed by Dr. Loomis, who repeatedly shoots the unofficial zombie(Michael won't die), Dana's survival is also dependent on man's preeminence as the sex best-equipped for a violent confrontation, out on the dock by the lake, when the final girl meets her match. Such a chivalrous act runs contrary to the notion that the final girl is, more or less, a man in drag, or in other words, a woman made masculine by default; her femininity imposed upon by a body count, therefore making Dana, supposedly, an equal match for the homicidal maniac. While the final girl, as it is written in her backstory, never experienced penetration, in a sexual sense, ironically, she has no problem doing the penetrating, with an arsenal of weapons, which is the case with Laurie, who uses a knitting needle, a wire hanger, and finally, a knife against her attacker. Dana, on the verge of being choked to death, is left with nothing but her bare hands to fend off the zombie. It's a fight whose one-sidedness serves as a tell-tale sign about her authenticity as final girl material. Arguably, Dana is a bigger whore than Jules, since prior to the road trip, back at the dormitory, the narrative's exposition clearly states that the designated good girl experienced a number of sexual encounters with her college professor. On the other hand, the relationship between Jules and Curt is never clearly delineated as being a consummated one. In the audio commentary for Halloween, Jamie Lee Curtis, an ex-cheerleader, admits that she was more like Lynda and Annie than the virginal Laurie. Knowingly, in The Cabin in the Woods, The Director says, "You work with what you have," so like Carpenter's leading lady, Dana is forced to play against type, and gets her hymen back, for the time being, while the cameras roll. But when Marty comes to her rescue, the jig is up, as it pertains to Dana's put-upon innocence, because, as aforementioned, the final girl adopts the masculine role, yet here comes "the fool", doing a woman's work. What the film does is reimagine other horror films as meta-narratives, except in those cases, the characters never discover the truth about the artifice of their world, as Marty does, just like another fool, Truman Burbank in Peter Weir's The Truman Show, a horror film in its own right. As for Halloween, Curtis(like the actress playing Dana), it now seems, was mistakenly chosen to play Laurie. The presumed virgin, in a sequence where she and her girlfriends walk home from school, Laurie reveals her true self, in which both the final girl and Lynda transgress, arriving at the front door of their homes by cutting across their lawns, whereas Annie(trying to be a bad girl like Lynda) stays off the grass, and uses the walkway. Whereas Lynda has sex, Annie is seen only talking about it. When she takes off her blouse, it's because the babysitter spilled butter on it. Michael gets the wrong idea about her. Laurie was impure, because Curtis had sex, just like the real Dana. Curtis should have been the whore(Lynda), the dumb blonde. A smart girl wouldn't throw away her knife away, twice. In Rear Window, Lisa says, "...you'd think we could be a little bit happy the poor woman is alive and well." When Dana escapes the diegesis, unlike Raymond Burr in the Hitchc*ck film, she gets her revenge not on the voyeur, but the film itself. Expand
  20. May 29, 2012
    Cabin was quite enjoyable - not particularly frightening...more like jump-in-your-face startling. It was a well done lampoon of cheesy horror flicks, but with a twist. Worth the $8.
  21. May 26, 2012
    Truly one of the greatest horror films of the past few years. The originality gave new meaning to the future of horror. The humor struck perfectly with a mix that made you feel sick for laughing, yet pleased to be a part. Must see horror of 2012!

J-ROD
  22. May 24, 2012
    I will never look at a horror movie the same way again. This film blew my mind. It was funny, it had a great story, and it put an amazing twist on a genre that has for too long followed the same ridiculous formula. I cannot recommend this movie enough. My only complaint is the acting by the teenagers was kinda bad (especially Fran Kranz), but Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford were fantastic.
  23. May 22, 2012
    Cabin in the woods was the best movie ever made. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. I guess the very very very end coulda been better but End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. Expand
  24. May 20, 2012
    This film was an interesting mash up. Joss Whedon, the creator of Firefly and Buffy gives his input into the story as well as the director of Cloverfield and countless Lost episodes, Drew Goddard, both make this film worth watching. At first, you are turned on your ear. Is this really a horror movie? I think not. The name of the game is simple: four teens, the woods, killers. Throughout the film you learn a little bit more, and by the end you are like HOLY S***! Needless to say, not the typical horror film. Watch this movie if you want something originally interesting. Also, this movie is not for the faint of heart. The ending sequence is very gory. Almost campy in the gore with blood spraying this way and that. Otherwise, a great film. Expand
  25. May 18, 2012
    cabin in the woods is insane. insane in the way that it understands what i want to see. the third act especially was one of the most satisfying things i have ever seen on screen. if you love fun, you love cabin in the woods.
  26. May 17, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods works solely on the merit of its humor. It is well written and very funny. People looking for genuine horror will most likely be disappointed, although there are some intense scenes and because the characters are fleshed out and enjoyable you can root for them. Admittedly the ending disappointed me on the first viewing, although on the second I accepted the movie as a comedy and was able to enjoy it fully. All that being said, the movie is not as original as some of its highest praise is suggesting. Feast, a movie from 2006, comes to mind as a horror comedy that identified the cliches in the genre, but succeeded where Cabin in the Woods failed in being funny and qualifying as extreme horror. Still, The Cabin in the Woods is above average and still may be the funniest movie I have seen all year (the banter in the control room between two of the main characters is always gold). You need a sense of humor, and some sense in general when it comes to being genre savvy to enjoy this movie. A must-see for horror fans and horror-comedy fans alike. Expand
  27. May 17, 2012
    An excellent blend of comedy and thriller The Cabin in the Woods has redefined the horror film genre. I have heard many say that this is one of the best horror films in the last 10 years and I believe that they would be mostly right about that. My only critique of that is that the movie is not so much scary as it is clever and well written. As someone who does not really like horror films I was pleasantly surprised by this film. One can definitely see the influence of Joss Whedon in the writing. This will likely be in my Top 10 of the year and is worthy of much praise. "Am I on speaker phone?" Odin's Score: 90/100 Expand
  28. May 17, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods simply oozes brilliance. It deconstructs almost every aspect of modern day horror tropes with such energetic wit. Despite being a little less frightening than I was hoping for, Goddard and Whedon have crafted such an outrageously fun film. Try not to smile. I dare you.
  29. May 15, 2012
    The most interesting horror movie I've seen in a while - a clever premise that is fed to you in parallel with a seemingly traditional teen slasher flick. Saw it twice in theatres; will be buying the DVD.
  30. May 13, 2012
    People kept telling me Cabin in the Woods teaches an old dog new tricks. In some parts, yes, this movie did have a different approach in the telling of a thriller/horror. And for the most part it was minor details that set this film apart from its competitors. I really liked the way Cabin in the Woods stared out, and some of the opening dialouge was funny. But, how the story got to where the kids are introduced was a little bizarre. The set up, I feel, still felt like a rather common horror movie. It was mostly the lines that connected the big plot points in this movie that felt new. The kids still venture on down to the strange house's spooky basement, but why they go down there is a different sort of push to the plot. The characters were nothing out of the ordinary either, none of them overly alluring. The end gets a little bit messy and kinda sci-fi. And the very last scene felt way too familiar, and I think they were aware of it (which in a way is a pro). But all in all Cabin in the Woods keeps you interested for the majority of the movie, just the last 1/3 of it was a bit average. I know it sounds like I'm being a little harsh on it for still giving it a positive review, but that mostly to counter all the overly positive feedback its getting from it's other critics. I mean, a 90 something percent on Rotten Tomatoes? Come on. Expand
  31. May 6, 2012
    The movie starts out great. Fun elements of hidden story unfold slowly. Gets a little crazy half way through and ends in a blanket of cat ladies full crazy. Watch the first half, then skip to 5 minutes to ending. You don't see this ending too often.
  32. May 5, 2012
    I definitely did not expect to enjoy this film but it did what it set out to do. It was highly enjoyable and I can't give a detailed review because I feel like you have to go in to it with no expectations in order to like it. Be open-minded.
  33. May 5, 2012
    This movie has lots of twists and turns which make it interesting and entertaining to watch. I must admit i was not able to predict the ending, including how crazy it was, which in itself was entertaining. Would have liked a little more explanation as to all the whys and hows i was left with though.
  34. May 4, 2012
    I've never been a fan, as a rule of horror movies, however, the trailer drew me to this one and i'm glad it did, the awful acting we usually get in horror movies wasn't there this time round, in fact, the whole cast were excellent, the special effects were really very good and the humorous, intelligent dialogue (another thing you don't usually get in horrors) was brilliant, loved the film, Chris Hemsworth, although with less to do in this than he does in Thor, was great in it too. Expand
  35. May 3, 2012
    I heard so much buzz about this movie and was utterly disappointed. Yes, the plot was original but so convoluted. I cannot believe this film scored a 72!! If you haven't seen the British comedy/horror film "Severance", watch it instead. Not as original but certainly a much better film.
  36. May 3, 2012
    I fail to see why this film is so well received by critics; sure it's plot is pretty unconventional and it's original, but I couldn't help but feel it was a bit too ridiculous, obviously I won't spoil anything but it's nothing what I expected it to be. This isn't to say it's a bad movie, it's certainly decent by horror standards, but the plot just irritated me. Has a few jumpy moments too, but don't go in expecting a non-stop horror barrage like I did! Expand
  37. May 3, 2012
    Such a horrible mish-mash styles that just drags on and on. None of the elements ever come together. There are bits of so many different movies tossed into the blender that you end of with a pile of goop at the end. The movie starts out promising. The banter is hip and paced quickly to move the story. The characters range from flat to likable. But then the weirdness starts. Once in the woods, the story takes a dive. Actually, it suffers a psychotic break. The smart talk ends and plot self-destruction begins. Expand
  38. Apr 30, 2012
    This could be described as a funny horror movie, but I'm going with a very dark comedy. But it works well either way. Funny, scary, fast and above all - smart! The unexpected turns, sparkling dialog and note-perfect acting make this a joy all the way through. I haven't had this much out-and-out fun at a movie in years. Very highly recommended, and worth seeing on the big screen before DVD, too, just to get all the details. Expand
  39. Apr 29, 2012
    The only recognition this movie will make is the top"worst movies of all time"
    Lions gate should have left it in "liimbo"
    Horror not so much..funny maybe..
    Overall give this one -1 star..
  40. Apr 28, 2012
    A great horror movie, has a few laughs interjected but make no mistake, this is not a parody, it IS a graphic horror movie that has real scares. Very original and beware of spoilers, because the suspense would be ruined, most original horror movie I've seen in years, well acted too.
  41. Apr 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. probably the one of the most boring movies i have seen at the cinema apart from paul blart mall cop. i could not wait for it to be over, i gain more enjoyment from watching the trailers of other movies before the showing of this film. Expand
  42. Apr 28, 2012
    I don't understand how this movie received so many good reviews on the internet,coz it's an absolute crap.Whoever was writing the scenario for that film must have been on acid or something.haven't seen such a stupid film for a long time.total waste of money.you can't call it's a horror film coz it's not scary at all.all i could think about while watching this film was 'what a f...is that crap".seriously i feel sorry for all you people who gave this film good reviews.Unless you where on acid as well. Expand
  43. Apr 28, 2012
    I'm not one to bother leaving a review but after watching this film due to the good opinions I felt compelled to leave my review. Firstly this is essentially the Truman show except without a joker and in the woods. The characters irritated me, they were all predictably college. None of them could act either which is a shame. Though it's no surprise with the writers of this film. The story is just ridiculous, not clever at all. Also to the people that claim this isn't funny, I agree. I can't remember laughing once.

Critics must have got a nice payment for some of these reviews. I imagine this film will surface at around 6 once people calm down about the hype. Save your time.
  44. Apr 28, 2012
    I really enjoyed this movie. I'm a big fan of horror movies but i went into this movie not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised by the extent to which they had thought outside the box.
  45. Apr 28, 2012
    Cabin in the Woods is an enjoyable film for horror aficionados and horror virgins alike. Although it fails to be particularly scary it is a great romp through the horror genre. Some aspects of it are lacking. Whilst the stereotyping of the characters is necessary, the dialogue often fails to hit home. What could be laugh out loud quips only raise at most a chuckle and often the dialogue feels like a rush job, tacked onto the end of what is an accomplished story arc. In addition (and I hate to bring up realism in what is so clearly a fictional film) the main characters appear to be superhuman. Everyone knows that some leeway can be given in horror films on this point, but characters appear to receive near mortal wounds and yet three scenes later are completely restored to full health. Perhaps I'm nit picking but it bothered me more than once. I would have given this a higher score but the two points above detracted enough to stop Cabin in the Woods being a tour de force, instead leaving it more a tour de genre. Expand
  46. Apr 28, 2012
    Never has a recent horror film been so purely exhilarating, funny and ultimately entertaining as this. Clever, twisty, and brilliant right from the start to the end. Possibly the best film of 2012 so far, and that's saying something.
  47. Apr 27, 2012
    Although I don't believe we wasted our money or time, or that the movie was a total "piece of crap", I'd suggest as others have that you save your money. The movie had a respectable amount of laughs, originality, worthy acting, and likeable characters, but it just wasn't enough. Maybe it was the sorely missing really scary moments. Anyway, when the film was over my wife asked me if I'd recommend this movie to anyone. Despite the rave reviews this film has garnered, and despite the good points I've pointed out, I did not hesitate to answer, "No". Expand
  48. Apr 26, 2012
    How do you create a movie that is a very good comedy, and a pretty creepy horror? I honestly can't do it, but the people who made this are great at it. Similar to Inception and Pulp Fiction (okay, maybe not so much the latter), this movie is horribly misunderstood by the common person, but to anyone who has a sense of meta-humour, good cinematography, writing, and great plot line this movie shines like lamp in a dark basement (See what I did there, I was implying that horror movies in general aren't that great... I was also referencing the movie). I did think that the end could have been "better" only because I didn't want it to end that way. Anyway, I'm just going to conclude with "That was awesome." Expand
  49. Apr 26, 2012
    Horror and humour can go well together, because they share an essential element: surprise--which is what this film is somewhat lacking in. It's a potentially good film, but ultimately ends up being not sexy, funny, or scary enough. If the point of this film was to make a statement, it's not one that ends with an exclamation mark. Also, to those for whom this matters: plot holes abound.
  50. Apr 25, 2012
    Absolutely loved this movie! I went for Joss Whedon and I was not disappointed. The story was great and kept me guessing, even though I had read some reviews. Acting was good, especially Fran Kranz. It was funny, but this did not cheapen the thrills. I was still jumping occasionally. Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford had great chemistry and helped to bring the balance between comedy and serious undertones that Joss is known for. I was also impressed by the supporting cast members. All in all, a must see for anyone, even those that hate horror. Expand
  51. Apr 24, 2012
    Theres only one word to describe this movie: badass. Its definitely on my top ten list for best movies i've seen, and i'd recommend it to anybody looking for a great movie to see in theaters. I wouldn't call it a horror flick though. It really belongs in the suspense genre.
  52. Apr 24, 2012
    WHAT?!? This movie is an utter disaster and left me vowing to never see another Hollywood movie. I don't even know how to begin to explain why it is so bad. Stuck it out to the end just to say I did. Honestly felt this movie had NO redeeming qualities. Felt sad for Sigourney Weaver sucking into such a pile of ****. I am honestly stunned and speechless at the positive reviews. I am open minded and understand irony and cliche, but this thing was unbelievably bad and actually left me depressed at the thought of this movie qualifying as legitimate entertainment. OMG we're screwed as a society. Just an orgy of images, half-baked thoughts and attempts at clever bathed in cute monsters and blood. I give up. Expand
  53. Apr 23, 2012
    This movie was the definition of mind-blowing. It was absolutely fantastic. It's impossible to describe the film without giving anything away, thats why the synopsis is so short. I work at a movie theater and just the other day, a group of three guys went to go see this movie and left 10 minutes into it and said it was the dumbest movie ever made and it was a waste of money and time. Im sorry but if you are like these 3 men then you are a hypocrite and you are just plain stupid. Everybody and i mean everybody complains or at least acknowledges the fact that all horror movies are made the same nowadays. The Cabin in the Woods has listened to everybody and has turned the tides. This film is pure genius. It changes it up and shows you behind the scenes of every cheesy cliche horror film ever made, and it does it very well. It explains everything we've ever seen in a horror film, including the fact as to why you always have the athlete, the whore, the scholar, the fool, and the "virgin" as they say, but otherwise known as the good girl. It will have you on the edge of your seat, it will make you laugh your head off, and most of all, it will make your jaw drop. I loved this film and i believe everybody else will and has too, unless you are a hypocrite like those 3 guys. 10/10...perfection Expand
  54. Apr 23, 2012
    I thought this movie was horrible. If it was meant to be funny, it wasn't. The humor was juvenile and stupid. If it was meant to be scary, it wasn't. I found myself napping halfway through. And don't think it's because I don't appreciate this "sub-genre" or don't "get it.". I thought Zombieland was great.

Don't believe the hype, this movie stinks. For the life of me I don't understand all
    of the good reviews. Expand
  55. Apr 22, 2012
    Know nothing about this film when you go to see it. Hollywood today with there plethora of remakes and book to big screen adaptations, lacks creativity. This movie is just that, boatloads of creativity. Legitimately the most fun I have had watching a movie in a long time. The girl that I took to see it had her head covered by her coat for half of the movie, I was laughing, jumping, and for the last thirty minutes of the movie just in absolute awe about how awesome what I was watching was. Def a must see. Expand
  56. Apr 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. By far one of the films that i am thankful for going to on a whim. The Cabin in the Woods was a dominant force to what a solid film can contain. This movie was filled with it all humor, thrill, scare, action, romance, and even gore. The way to movie flowed and and grabbed viewers attention was phenomenal, ill think twice before walking into the next cabin i enter in the woods who knows what could be in the cellar waiting for me. Expand
  57. Apr 22, 2012
    What is marketed as a horror film turns out to be more like a B-movie rip off of the Truman Show. Avoid it at all costs, unless you get a kick out of films with horribly jumpy storylines and poor acting.
  58. Apr 22, 2012
    I watched this movie yesterday and I want to say that this movie is really cool. This movie is really unpredictable and insane. And the jokes, they are awesome.
  59. Apr 22, 2012
    This movie is not in the same realm of movies as Scream, Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, or Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. Those three movies pull off their horror/comedy near perfectly, The Cabin in the Woods, on the other hand, seemed a little too corny when they were fishing for laughs. There were definitely some funny parts do not get me wrong but it was just a very peculiar way of stabbing at the horror genre. During these corny parts there is also a sense of arrogance pouring out as if the makers thought that this was the most clever thing ever to be put on film, sorry, but it is not. The story definitely goes places I never thought it would but at that point the movie shifts to complete gore/cgi/sci-fi mode, which was certainly entertaining but what the f*ck happened to the horror? The horror elements of the movie are actually pretty great but it's literally less than 1/3 of the movie which disappointed me. This will never go down as a great horror movie, mainly because it's not a horror movie. I think the hype it generated beforehand ruined it a little for me because it was being compared to Scream and was getting all this praise. But seriously Scream is one million times better than The Cabin in the Woods. Overall I enjoyed watching it but it came off as an arrogant comedy/sci-fi flick masquerading as a horror movie. I say if you want a relatively recent example of a good horror comedy thennn Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil > The Cabin in the Woods. Yep, that's right, I said it, whatcha ganna do about it Expand
  60. Apr 22, 2012
    I can't go into specifics as this movie is pretty much a plot twist, but in essence this is two different stories. An intentionally standard slasher flick with the very expected archetypes, and a sub-story about making a movie for a very discerning audience... *cough* the discerning audience being the 11 negative reviews who are going "BWAAAAAAAAAAAAA the slasher flick is totally average!" as I type this.

Basically, if you watch horror movies and wonder why people constantly make such stupid decisions and always fit their standard arhetypes, you'll find this movie hilarious and it'll actually tell you why people make the decisions they do in such movies if you bother to pay attention.

If you want an actual slasher flick where you can just shut off your brain and watch blood spill for a few hours, this may be a bit high brow and meta for your liking.
  61. Apr 21, 2012
    Without a doubt one of the best horror movies ive seen, great actors, smart plot, good funny moments. All around amazing movie. I reccomend this movie to anyone.
  62. Apr 21, 2012
    Man this year has been full of great stuff. This is well worth seeing. I give it a 10 just because its actually creative for a change and such a fun movie.! Highly recommend this seeing this.
  63. ETV
    Apr 21, 2012
    I was waiting for this film for over a year. And I was not let down. I enjoyed every part of it. A big fan of Joss and Drew I knew I wouldn't be bored. Those who say they didn't like it, took it too seriously and obviously don't understand the film!! So if you are actually smart you'll enjoy it
  64. Apr 20, 2012
    One of the most original horror movies that I have seen in a VERY LONG time!! Such a fun time. Had some good scare moments but overall this movie never took itself too seriously. This should definitely should be experienced in a movie theater.
  65. Apr 20, 2012
    The hype for this film does not match the execution. It was all over the place and should not be called a horror movie. It did provide a couple of jumps but more than anything it made me want to leap for the exit. I did go in with high expectations due to the reviews - I'm sure this did not help my reaction. The actors for the most part did a good job with what they were tasked. I don't even think I would recommend this for video. Expand
  66. Apr 19, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant movie. I think some people are going in expecting a slasher movie. Don't do that. It's more a black comedy wrapped around a great central concept. Whedon's humor is all over this flick, and he's never been funnier. Everybody praised Scream for the way it disassembled the horror genre, but Cabin does it SO much better.
  67. Apr 17, 2012
    This film was pure amazement. This movie will be a classic later on because it is probably the best well-put horror film I have ever seen. The cast, the plot, the twists ahead all come into place with "The Cabin in the Woods" and works out perfectly. Go see this film you will not regret it.

"You think you know the story"
  68. Apr 17, 2012
    Not as great as I thought it would be, but still a cool movie. I love the direction it has, with all the cliches and unexpected laughs, but I just feel like they could expanded it a bit more and really dug further into the last 30 minutes.
  69. Apr 17, 2012
    This film is refreshingly original. A brilliant hybrid of both horror and comedy; 'The Cabin In The Woods' is simply good fun. Without spoiling anything it'll be like nothing you've ever seen before.
  70. Apr 17, 2012
    It appears to be a familiar horror trope: a group of college students plans to spend a wild weekend in the titular location. The new angle is there from the beginning. As they're dispatched (without much originality or brutality), the bigger picture emerges. The high concept is cool, but the execution is medium and the payoff is low. It's more of a sci-fi teaser than a suspenseful or shocking film. Overall, the creators are impressed with their own cleverness, but donâ Expand
  71. Apr 16, 2012
    This movie is seriously awesome. I've seen a lot of horror movies in the last 10 years, and this one by far takes the cake. It's original, different, funny, entertaining, and purely delightful. If you haven't seen this yet, do so! Also try your absolute best not to hear any spoilers, it's best to see it without knowing anything about the plot. PAY THE $12 and SEE THIS NOW!
  72. Apr 16, 2012
    If you want to be scared, don't go see this movie. If you want to laugh and you liked something like Zombieland? Go see this. Sure I applaud the writer and director's intellect and use of metaphor, but you don't care about anyone and it's just a bunch of ideas and metaphors thrown into one **** movie. I was sincerely disappointed. I want my money back
  73. Apr 16, 2012
    Good but not great. A lot of kids are highly overrating it. There isn't many surprises, twists, or turns as most other reviews suggest, it's not that terribly smart either. The gore wasn't that good and the special effects were very meh too. Tucker and Dale vs Evil did the dark comedy horror genre better. See this movie but do not expect greatness, I was quite a bit let down...
  74. Apr 16, 2012
    This movie had alot going for it, great commercials, and positive reviews, hemsworth. The movie turned about to be a huge disappointment. You can figure out in the first five minutes whats actually going on. It also reminded me alot of Thirteen Ghosts (meets Cube meets Evil Dead). There were some funny parts, mostly stoner humour, but still made me chuckle. But the rest of the movie, the parts that were supposed to be "serious" were cheesy at best. Even the supposed big reveal at the end was really a no brainer. A few jump out of your seat moments, but mostly due to loud music blasting through the speakers. This movie would have been straight to DVD if chris hemsworth wasnt in it. And thats how it should be treated. Expand
  75. Apr 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Maybe it's because I went in with high expectations. But I was let down big time. I love Joss. And I went in after reading a lot of positive hype on the net. And a couple of critics that I usually agree with that loved it also. And the only way to describe my feeling was let down.

I laughed quite a few times. I never did jump or even get remotely scared. I'm even having a hard time calling it a horror movie at all since it's really not. It almost borders on sci-fi but not really that either. I loved the stoner character. Though he was like a more intelligent shaggy. And I liked the control room guys and their fun on the job attitude.

As for the story, I thought the story was a really good idea. But poorly executed. I think the idea of all horror cliches being explained by this movie to be excellent. And maybe this is where the hype killed the payoff for me. I just wasn't all that wowed by the reveal.

That being said, those 5 minutes with the elevators were excellent. A little fast so you couldn't take it all in, but still, pretty darn cool.

Overall, I thought for a comedy/horror film this was middle of the road. I'd prefer more Tucker and Dale or Sean of the Dead.
  76. Apr 16, 2012
    The best film since Apocalypto! Masterpiece of 2012. Shocking+Innovative+Scary+Funny. I don't want to add anything else.
    Don't let other to spoil it for you.
  77. Apr 16, 2012
    While a huge fan of the writing style of Joss Whedon, I've always felt his attempts at horror were a little lacking. His previous horror based shows, "Buffy" and "Angel" were cult favorites because of the action and comedy elements. Where "Cabin" truly suffers is the Whedon-esque comedy implented to deflate any tension in the scenes that would traditionally belong to the horror genre. In addition, elements of the movie prevent the audience from developing any attachments to the characters and therefore are unable to feel strongly about their survival or possible deaths. Finally, the pacing of the movie suffers greatly which reduces the enjoyable scenes down to a broken "genre-bending" film the likes of which have not been seen since the film "Banraku". Expand
  78. Apr 15, 2012
    Avoid spoilers and go see it! A movie for horror fans that delivers on EVERY promise it makes. Brilliant. Also, it features the most enjoyable scene I've ever seen!
  79. Apr 15, 2012
    One of the coolest, freshest, best movies I've seen at the theater in a long, long time. You owe it to yourself to see this film. It's just when you think the movie's going to zig...it zags. Keeps you on your toes all the way until the credits roll.
  80. Apr 15, 2012
    This film was awesome! I wasn't completely sure about seeing it at first, but my brother said it would be good and damn was he right!! It was a little confusing at first but everything becomes clear as the film progresses, and there's a few twist and turns that make the story really interesting. I was also in stitches laughing at points, but that may just be my sense of humour. If horror is your thing, make sure you watch this film! Expand
  81. Apr 15, 2012
    I had zero expectations when I walked into this film, I thought, "Generic five friends go out to cabin in in the middle of nowhere, brutally killed by monsters, seen it before." I knew there was some government control going on, but nothing more. The trailer for this movie doesn't capture its true greatness. Joss Wheadon and Drew Goddard did a perfect job of blending humor and horror. The funny parts were absolutely hilarious, and the horror scenes were done brilliantly. I wish there were more movies like this. I will gladly see this again... I want the DVD now. Expand
  82. Apr 15, 2012
    This movie is the cherry on the top of cake of this genre. I loved it! I laughed, I jumped a few times and at the end, I was just entertained to the max! What a hoot.
  83. Apr 15, 2012
    This movie is a love letter to horror movie fans as well as being one of the darkest comedies I have ever seen. The title of this movie makes it sound like the most generic horror movie, but I can guarantee this movie goes places you never thought a horror movie could go. If you like horror movies and can stomach the gore, this movie is a must. Don't watch the trailers, don't read about that plot, just go see this movie. Expand
  84. Apr 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw The Cabin in the Woods last night and it was freakin' awesome. I cannot believe Sigourney Weaver was almost at the end of the movie where she was the director behind this fake Survivor-like reality show where they put five friends in a cabin house and all of a sudden, they didn't know that they've been setup by a security camera and everyone is watching for the five who wants to die. Everyone went crazy and I was stunned. I think this is the best horror movie of 2012 this far because it's not a reboot or a remake, but with lots of horrid zombies and gruesome creatures. I think it's paying homage to the Evil Dead and the video game "Resident Evil 2" with the deadly snakes and all the animals that a little lot like zombies. But the movie is awesome, can't wait for "Resident Evil: Retribution" and "Piranha 3DD." Expand
  85. Apr 15, 2012
    this movie was just wow! it was on a whole different level! the story in this movie is something seriously original! imagine "vacancy" meets "saw" its something pretty awesome. the movie was thrilling and scary, yet it pulled of a lot of laughs. fantastic movie!
  86. Apr 14, 2012
    Seeing the 9 out of 10 on this status should be enough to get you in the theater and watch this great film. It's more comedy then horror without making it a comedy. This changes the horror genre for the fourth time. First it was Nosferatu then it was Halloween then Scream. Now we have Cabin in the Woods who's take on horror will be bigger then the film itself. It's not important if the film was the greatest because it does have flaws. What's important is the fact that it defines a new genre, a better and more evolved look at horror! Expand
  87. Apr 14, 2012
    I feel this was a really great film. As many reviewers have stated, go in blind to this one. To any of the reviewers trying to over generalize the idea that this movie rips off others movies I wanna say this. The human race, we're like Taco Bell. No matter how many items you see on that menu, it's still just different combinations of the same ingredients. The saying "there is nothing new under the sun" applies to everything we see. This film dares to shatter cliches, laugh at existing ones, and offers twists and turns that only a real d-bag would spoil for a would-be viewer. Is it the best film of all time? Of course not. But it is one hell of a thrill ride, and that was the point. For this reviewer, I feel they made a resounding attempt to be fresh and original with this Horror/ Dark Comedy / Sci-Fi. If, like me, you feel like that kind of approach should be praised in this land of remakes and sequels, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  88. Apr 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The score goes just for the laughs. Horror genre? U kiddin me? The worst movie I have ever seen. Maybe the ratings are just for the special effects that are in this piece of junk! However, those aren't something you haven't seen before!!! Wasted my money and time! Expand
  89. Apr 14, 2012
    Fantastic. The film delivers exactly as promised: it begins as a traditional slasher film, but eventually becomes a mind-boggling twist of a film. You get hints earlier on than I had expected, but the whole thing doesn't really come together until the end. Joss Whedon's sense of humor is very prevalent, and the counterbalance of Goddard's writing makes it that much better. Perfectly paced and entertaining from start to finish. Expand
  90. Apr 14, 2012
    This is the most fun I've had at the movies in a long time. It pokes fun at itself and horror movies that proceeded it in an original and entertaining way. Twists and turns keep you guessing about what will happen at the end until you finally see for yourself. I wasn't expecting humor in it, but the humor is what made it what it is. Genius.
  91. Apr 14, 2012
    Loved the movie. It was funny, tense, and intriguing at the same time. Probably the best horror movie I've seen since the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
  92. Apr 14, 2012
    I do not understand how this movie has that rating that it does. I thought this was the worst movie I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot of movies. I am 50 years old, so I've seen my share of bad and good flicks. Do not waste your time or money on this one. I can rate this movie in three words "piece of crap". I asked for my money back! Enough said.
  93. Apr 14, 2012
    The first 20minutes of this movie made me think.... How stupid are the people that reviewed this well? After that I saw the pure genius behind the cabin. Going back to the ancient times of human sacrifices this makes me go back to when movies were witty and original and this takes that for the gold.
  94. Apr 14, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods is at once a well-executed love letter to horror films and a complaint about the current status of horror. The horror genre in general seems to currently be at a creative pit-stop. Too many horror films today re-use ideas from other movies. The Cabin in the Woods recognizes this idea and plays with it as it goes along. I haven't been this entertained or had this much fun at a horror movie in a long time. Much of the fun of this movie comes the twists and turns that are dished out as it unfolds, so DO NOT read any plot summaries that may seem detailed. Go see this one in theatres. Expand
  95. Apr 14, 2012
    I did enjoy the film to a point I would hardly call it ground breaking though its two or three other films put together but it is done well.The problem I have with the film is the end story it just seems rushed and not much thought put in to just left me feeling a bit let down.
  96. Apr 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed the film as a horror/comedy, but I can't give it one of my TOP ratings simply because I was in the mood to get scared tonight - and there's nothing particularly scary about this film. They pull you out of the moment far too often to switch to the control room sequences - which is what makes this film entirely unique and interesting - and funny! But what makes horror movies set in the woods, or the desert, or the south pole, or space so scary is that palpable sense of isolation - nobody is there to hear you scream. But in this case, there's room full of guys waiting to see if the hot girl will take her top off. It's the opposite of isolation - they're all right there with you. Yes, it's gory, and it's fun, and it's smart, but simply not scary. By contrast, the Evil Dead movies had big scares in them, though they were also funny as hell. As far as the cast goes, the Dollhouse grads (Frank Franz and Amy Acker) are my faves - and they should be in MANY more films - not just the Joss Whedon projects. It's awesome that Whitford, Jenkins, and Weaver did this film - all are terrific in it. Again, it's a very good movie, and highly unique and entertaining - it just fell short of what I was expecting. I still recommend it. Expand
  97. Apr 13, 2012
    9 or a 10. hmmm. 10

this movie has it all. purely entertaining. works on multiple levels. should be enjoyed by anybody who enjoys horror movies and, most importantly, has seen some horror movies that they thought were crap. Cabin in the Woods will also be of great interest to people who enjoy movies about movies, bad movies and total campfests.. but this film is much more than just
    an examination of bad movie tropes. there's a lot going on and ultimately a lot to think about. it's a must see. Expand
  98. Apr 13, 2012
    The way I see it: You're going to have one of two reactions to "The Cabin in the Woods", either you'll like it (maybe even love it) or you won't (most seem to be loving it.) One thing is for sure though, you're not going to see this one coming a mile away, don't even bother guessing the plot while you're watching it. When the credits roll, don't think and wonder what the point of the movie was or why you sat down for nearly two hours watching what you just watched- Just enjoy and accept it for what it is, which I'll leave to you to find out what that is exactly. . . . have fun. Expand
  99. Apr 13, 2012
    If you like horror movies, If you like Joss Whedon shows (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, etc) If you like Evil Dead, if you enjoy a bit of humor with your horror, if you just like an original fun story. If you like any or all of these things, then this movie is for you. It IS NOT a regular old fashion slasher film. It is something sooooo much greater but to tell you anything will spoil the surprises. IT IS AWESOME. This is a must see film that deserves a much wider audience. This will be a cult hit that will live forever Expand
  100. Apr 13, 2012
    I had been looking forward to this movie for a while and though I could see some of what was coming I definitely didn't foresee the grand scope of things. The only things I can say negative(if they are actually negative) is that I wish we could have seen more of the things used and also I wish we could have a sequel....though i dont think thats possible. I know I am being vague but to ruin it for everyone would be a crime. Go see this immediately, its awesome fun :) Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Apr 16, 2012
    A horror-movie attic sale is, in essence, exactly what Cabin in the Woods is, an attempt to exorcise the genre of its formulaic possession by stuffing the movie full of its most overused and predictable elements - and then dumping them through clever skewering.
  2. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    Apr 14, 2012
    Because the first narrative is so crushingly generic (which turns out to be the point), most of the amusement derives from trying to figure out what the second one is all about. I'm not sure I ever did, but the climactic one-two punch of special-effects chaos and meta-movie chin stroking should have the fanboys trembling with delight.
  3. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Apr 13, 2012
    I've seen a lot of rip-offs of "The Truman Show" and a lot of rip-offs of "Scream." I guess I have to give credit to The Cabin in the Woods for ripping off both at once.