7.4

1. Nov 16, 2012
    Oh how advertising can absolutely ruin your excitement to see a film. Being marketed as a generic, run-of-the-mill horror film is the worst thing that can happen to you from a critical standpoint, but from a commercial point of view, there
  2. Nov 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was not funny enough to be a comedy... and was not scary enough to be a horror movie!
    The movie is an average mixture of those to genres. The characters are all clichés /I know they are supposed to be to some extent), and there is no character development at all. The horror/chase scenes could use some more suspense (They focused on the gore unfortunately). The ending of the movie is not that "shocking" as some critics say.... Nothing we haven't seen before in other horror movie...
  3. Nov 12, 2012
    Had benefit of watching this without any knowledge of what it actually was. Brilliant take on the genre with quite a few laugh out loud moments. Well worth the time and money.
  4. Nov 11, 2012
    Cabin in the woods is a gory horror flick. The special effects are fantastic. More importantly Cabin in the woods is one of the most unique and interesting horror movie concepts I've seen in the last five years. Don't pass this movie up!
  5. Nov 5, 2012
    Whedon and Goddard switch it up three or four times before the shocking climax but never lose their exhilarating pace. It's funny, sexy, and scary as hell. It's also one of the best horror films of the past twenty years.
  6. Oct 31, 2012
    Great movie
    Wether or not its great horro movie will differ according to personal taste.
    I loved it.
    Dramaturgical it is brilliant.
    You can watch it as a horror if you are prepared to be more entertained then scared
  7. Oct 30, 2012
    I didnt watch the whole film. Put it this way, it was that bad, i turned it off a half an hour into it. I do not understand the good ratings for this film. Oh my god is it so annoying. Such bad acting, cheesy kills. stay away from this film
  8. Oct 26, 2012
    I really wanted to like this movie, but from the jump, it was just awful. The entire movie does not any sense. The should of written a traditional slasher in the woods movie. Would of been a better movie.
  9. Oct 26, 2012
    I know its trying to be a metaphor for modern horror films. I know its also a black humour horror with a brilliant twist. Yes, there is a twist and no its impact isn't exactly profound as they tell us that IN THE TRAILER ALREADY. When you watch a horror film, you come for the scares and the thrills. Cabin in the Woods gives you none of the former and dishes out the latter in a ridiculous, dark-humourly manner. Its not a bad thing but its call a horror movie, not a black humour monster fantasy slasher. The final half an hour is plain ridiculous and feels more like a Resident Evil movie who's overdosed on heroin and overused gory props in distasteful scenes. Indeed, its paying homage to horror films and esp the ambience created by H.P Lovecraft but seriously, for most viewers (i.e. 80% of us who dont usually indulge in hardcore horror flicks). its just...weird. If you're a true horror fan, you may love this movie. For me, however, someone who just wants to thrilled and be enthralled in a scare-fest, this became a bore of a film which would've been a lot more interesting had more of the movie made any sense. Add in the Lovecraft factor that you may love or hate, and you have what feels like a B-grade gore flick that caters only for the true horror fans and leaves the rest of us in the cold. Decide for yourself whether you enjoy the taste of this flick but I am sitting on the fence for this one, my stomach impaled by a unicorn. Expand
  10. Oct 23, 2012
    A well made slasher & Splatter movie, which pays homage to the horror genre with some nice twists and turns. The Cabin in the Woods retains the same high quality expected of a Joss Whedon production.
  11. Oct 21, 2012
    This is far from the cliche horror movie. There is actually a sense of brilliance in this film. With a typical horror film start, the original finds its way to the top as it is filled with surprises and plot twists. I'd recommend it for it's cleverness and production.
  12. Oct 15, 2012
    This movie was awful. I'm a teenaged girl and I watched this movie while home alone, all the lights turned off, at two in the morning- and it didn't scare me for a second. The idea was stupid, the monsters and villains were right out of a parody, and the writing was closer to comedy than horror- or thriller- hell or Drama. The acting was good ( especially given what they had to work with), and Hemsworth & Williams were sexy as ever but the movie was boring and not even worth the dollar I paid for redbox. Also "the whore" and " the virgin" are the only female roles they can come up with? Unsurprising but disgusting nonetheless. Expand
  13. Oct 13, 2012
    The correct attitude to enter this movie with is the idea that it is a horror movie.

The correct knowledge to EXIT this movie with is the knowledge that it is NOT a horror movie, but rather a deconstruction of the genre.

The Cabin in the Woods is not a horror movie, but it sets itself up to pretend to be one. Instead, it is a wonderful black comedy that criticizes horror movie tropes.
  14. Oct 8, 2012
    This is what we call a original and entirely different attempt.Its a great horror movie. Funny and horrifying at same time. I didn't get to watch a decent horror movie through months but then came this strange and innovative scripted slasher film.i really enjoyed it. when the movie started i was like" What the hell is going on ?" but going through movie i got everything. really good concept.Movie goes through different aspects. spectacular work with the cinematography ,music,editing and performances of all the actors and not to forget splendid visuals.
    Especially Fran Kranz and Kristen Connolly acted so well.
    Overall,its a modern type original,clever,creatively made and well crafted gore-fest flick with funny elements with something new to watch.
  15. Oct 5, 2012
    Well, finally a good horror! Good horrors come so infrequently, I always wonder if they're actually good, or they seem disproportionately better because the rest are crap. Well, that is no question with "Cabin" -- simply put, it is a very good horror film. It has a great screenplay and it actually works with tons of horror film stereotypes which make it even better. It is actually quite funny at times and it practically satirises the whole genre somewhat. There are quite a few thrills and scares, but ultimately, I did not get frightened too often. That was my biggest criticism of the film, also. On the other hand, it kept me constantly engaged because of the unexpected twists and turns that it would take. So, by no means as scary as "Drag me to hell" can be, but it for sure is as engaging, interesting and funny. Very good stuff! Expand
  16. Oct 2, 2012
    Although at times it suffers from cheesy dialogue, The Cabin in the Woods is easily on the best horror films of our time, poking fun at the cliches of horror, while being pretty scary ,as at least one of your greatest fears appears, in one of the best films of 2012.
  17. Oct 1, 2012
    The only things I didn't like about this movie were the title and the guy who played the stoner. Other then that, It was a pretty good film that mixed horror and comedy rather well. Definently worth checking out.
  18. Sep 27, 2012
    I truly wanted to like this film. I really did. I got a drink and a blanket ready and everything, but it really was such a disappointment.

'Cabin in the Woods', Hooray, another slasher movie! Sarcasm aside, I was interested to watch this film when I heard that it wasn't what it seemed. I was told that the twist was phenomenal the execution of the film was brilliant. I clearly need to
    stop relying on my friends and their judgement...

It's starts off with what seems to be your typical college students 'oh my god I might totally get laid tonight' casting and therefore put me in a fairly bad mood before the first 5 minutes had passed. It then became clear that this was really what the film centred around and yes, there genuinely was a lot more to it than you would expect. One thing you really can't do is say that the film is unimaginative, it definitely isn't lacking in that respect. My main issue with it was that I just found it boring. It was fairly obvious where the twist was going very early on in the film and the main 'dun dun duuuuun' revelation moment at the end was just...well...not good. I'm aware that it doesn't take itself serious as a horror film, it isn't meant to, I just found it all a little too messy and I felt that the plot got out of the hand, a little bit like the director got fed up and allowed a 7 year old boy dictate the rest of the storyline. 'AND THEN THERE WERE MONSTERS AND AND AND...' a little bit like that. There were parts that I found funny and parts that were quite fun to watch, but on the whole, it was a little bit like chewing gum for the eyes. I'm not appalled at myself for spending an hour and a half of my life watching it but I will have forgotten about it tomorrow. I appreciate that other people may have really enjoyed it and found the whole thing really interesting, but it was lost on me unfortunately.

The reason I'm giving this 4 instead of 2 or 3 is simply because of the stoner guy. Because we all need a friend like Marty.
  19. Sep 25, 2012
    This movie has been the best I have seen in years! You got all emotions in one film! You got fear, thrill, suspense, gory, comedy, romance, sexual, nudity all in one film. And that weird feeling that you get once in a while "what the hell am am I watching" However, what makes the movie really nice that in never thorough out the movie looses its seriousness. It keeps a real theme all the way. Even tho its meant as a comedy. I wont lie, this movie is not for every one. When I first saw it, I wasn't it sure if I was suppose to laugh or get scared. Anyway, defiantly a must watch movie. Best part you got the pot head, the extremely hot Blondie`s with her boobs character, with the monsters, zombies and lost of blood. pop some popcorn and go to red box! And the best part, I mean, you got all these different seance from monstrosity to ghosts, to technology, to special effects, this is not a cheap underground movie, The producers really deserve some credit on the graphics and audio! great movie, cant say any more! Expand
  20. Sep 24, 2012
    This movie, was terrible!! I only rented it, becasue it recieved such good reviews from the critics. The movie is not smart and not fun! Avoid at all costs!
  21. Sep 24, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods is some genre-busting, fan boy-pleasing, energetic stuff, that resonates in the horror fan in all of us to deliver some of the funniest criticisms, and celebrations, of the genre to date. The overall tone of the film is inconsistent, but that's also a compliment - the movie is so ambitious that it spins way out of control, far beyond the limitations of any standard horror movie to become this meta-beast. Any horror movie fan can see that this film has been made with a gleeful love of the genre, flaws and all, and the final half-hour delivers one of the greatest visually spectacular finales I have seen all year (even compared to that of another Joss Whedon project, The Avengers). The movie is so funny, weird, and just plain awesome that I can't really recommend it any higher to the average horror movie fan, but dissenting voices should probably stay away. This whole thing will come off as ridiculous to them. Expand
  22. Sep 23, 2012
    The cabin in the woods, a horror classic. This movie is good, entertaining, and a story that leaves you with your mouth open. It is a film in which you take confidence with the characters and enjoy seeing it a lot. It will happen very fast.
  23. Sep 23, 2012
    If you've seen the trailers, chances are this movie came across as formulaic, cliche, and painfully predictable. After having seen the it, I can only think that they did this intentionally so that you'd be that much more surprised when you actually saw it. If you go to this to see a run of the mill slasher with cut and paste characters, your world is going to be thoroughly rocked. But since you know that a twist is coming (even though I've done my best not to spoil it) maybe you should take your friends to see it and don't give them any heads up. Trust me, they'll thank you afterwards.

This movie is anything but generic, and feels like a giant satire of all horror movies before it, but horror movie fans won't be disappointed for lack of horror if they go see this looking for viscera and terror. The movie contains a healthy amount of both, but with surprising success it also tosses comedy into the mix (although admittedly it is pretty dark comedy). Characters that at first glance appear to be bland stereotypes end up being extremely well developed and likable, and even the painfully generic plot and setting end up taking on an almost unreal depth.

this movie points and ridicules every other horny teenager murderbox movie that exists, while at the same time elevating them far above their previous scope and making them seem more dramatic. Honestly I really can't express exactly why this movie is so amazing without spoiling it for people, so all I can say is have a little faith and give it a shot. It's on redbox now, is a dollar really that much to risk? Trust me, this is a movie you don't want to miss (because if your friends want to talk about it around you, they're going to hate you for not having seen it)
  24. Sep 22, 2012
    Lets see what redeeming factors we can pull from this movie. Is it funny? No. I may have gotten a laugh or two in the whole thing. Scary? Not even close. Suspenseful? If you actually care about the characters, maybe. I watched this with my mom and at the end we both just looked at each other and couldn't believe how bad this movie was. I only watch movies that have favorable reviews and usually they are right. Someone compared this to Evil Dead in another review I read. Yea right. That movie was actually funny. Expand
  25. Sep 19, 2012
    The only reason this movie was unpopular was because they couldn't really give anything away in the trailers. It is such a great, interesting, new twist on horror movies. This is the first of 2 hits written by Joss Whedon, the second being The Avengers, and I'm eager to see what's next. I don't want to give anything away, so I won't say anything. If you see it without knowing much, then you'll have a much better film experience. This movie is just all around fantastic, and you HAVE to see this movie. Even if you don't like horror movies, you'll still find this movie interesting. Expand
  26. Sep 19, 2012
    This movie is a breath of fresh air for the horror genre. And holy **** I want that transformable coffee mug / bong that the stoner character used... too bad that prototype cost $5000 to make 0_o
  27. Sep 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An enjoyable, clever and pretty original movie, with good humour. A little too heavy handed at times.

The film is very clever and satirises, not only horror films, but horror film viewers. Though some of the film's writing isn't as good as it tries to be. Despite the movie parodying cliché, cheesy movies. It is a pity that in order to parody this, it had to become one, at least for the first half. The only thing that kept my interest was the scientist/technician comedic scenes, because once I realised the horror was meant to be cliché I was just waiting for people to die and get it over with, like any other cliché movie.

This film makes out the stoner dude as though it's never happened before. Otherwise the 'gods' would've become angry with the sacrifices before. There's been many 'moronic stoner dudes' in horror films, yet this one is immune because weed immunises against the chemicals they induce?

I'd still recommend the movie, it's probably on par with Scream. It's no Evil Dead though.
  28. Sep 9, 2012
    Seriously critics? THIS movie is intelligent, brilliant and shocking? Absolutely no! This is just crap. It mixes every stupid idea other horror film makers had in the past years into one. Horrible actors, horrible dialogues and a plot which is extremely unrealistic. They begin with the usual bad horror movie and end up in an unfamiliar scenario which makes you laugh your ass off because it's just too silly. One of the worst movies I've seen by far - I can't believe my eyes when I'm reading the critics... Expand
  29. Sep 6, 2012
    The end of this movie makes it all worthwhile. It is smart and the way it plays out actually rewrites every other horror movie you've seen before! Quite fresh!
  30. Sep 3, 2012
    This was a good movie. I think one of the writers was Joss Whedon, of Buffy and Serenity fame, and this film has that same sort of polish and quality as those classics. As so many other commentators have said, you can't really say much without giving away the plot, so I won't. Its a clever, scary, funny movie. Lots of side references to other movies for those who like that sort of thing. What I will say though is don't be surprised if you can make a good guess at the overall plot quite early on into the movie. To me that doesn't matter, its a great movie, and one I'll watch several times. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Apr 16, 2012
    A horror-movie attic sale is, in essence, exactly what Cabin in the Woods is, an attempt to exorcise the genre of its formulaic possession by stuffing the movie full of its most overused and predictable elements - and then dumping them through clever skewering.
  2. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    Apr 14, 2012
    Because the first narrative is so crushingly generic (which turns out to be the point), most of the amusement derives from trying to figure out what the second one is all about. I'm not sure I ever did, but the climactic one-two punch of special-effects chaos and meta-movie chin stroking should have the fanboys trembling with delight.
  3. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Apr 13, 2012
    I've seen a lot of rip-offs of "The Truman Show" and a lot of rip-offs of "Scream." I guess I have to give credit to The Cabin in the Woods for ripping off both at once.