7.4

1. Apr 23, 2012
    This movie was the definition of mind-blowing. It was absolutely fantastic. It's impossible to describe the film without giving anything away, thats why the synopsis is so short. I work at a movie theater and just the other day, a group of three guys went to go see this movie and left 10 minutes into it and said it was the dumbest movie ever made and it was a waste of money and time. ImThis movie was the definition of mind-blowing. It was absolutely fantastic. It's impossible to describe the film without giving anything away, thats why the synopsis is so short. I work at a movie theater and just the other day, a group of three guys went to go see this movie and left 10 minutes into it and said it was the dumbest movie ever made and it was a waste of money and time. Im sorry but if you are like these 3 men then you are a hypocrite and you are just plain stupid. Everybody and i mean everybody complains or at least acknowledges the fact that all horror movies are made the same nowadays. The Cabin in the Woods has listened to everybody and has turned the tides. This film is pure genius. It changes it up and shows you behind the scenes of every cheesy cliche horror film ever made, and it does it very well. It explains everything we've ever seen in a horror film, including the fact as to why you always have the athlete, the whore, the scholar, the fool, and the "virgin" as they say, but otherwise known as the good girl. It will have you on the edge of your seat, it will make you laugh your head off, and most of all, it will make your jaw drop. I loved this film and i believe everybody else will and has too, unless you are a hypocrite like those 3 guys. 10/10...perfection Expand
  2. Apr 15, 2012
    This movie is a love letter to horror movie fans as well as being one of the darkest comedies I have ever seen. The title of this movie makes it sound like the most generic horror movie, but I can guarantee this movie goes places you never thought a horror movie could go. If you like horror movies and can stomach the gore, this movie is a must. Don't watch the trailers, don't read aboutThis movie is a love letter to horror movie fans as well as being one of the darkest comedies I have ever seen. The title of this movie makes it sound like the most generic horror movie, but I can guarantee this movie goes places you never thought a horror movie could go. If you like horror movies and can stomach the gore, this movie is a must. Don't watch the trailers, don't read about that plot, just go see this movie. Expand
  3. Apr 13, 2012
    Well, not much can be said about this film without actually giving the goodies away, so it is best to keep it minimalistic. This film is awesome. It is insane. It plays on cliché and it plays on it well. There is plenty of blood and gore to go along with all the conversational interludes. There are also some unexpected laughs. This movie flows in a direction that I did notWell, not much can be said about this film without actually giving the goodies away, so it is best to keep it minimalistic. This film is awesome. It is insane. It plays on cliché and it plays on it well. There is plenty of blood and gore to go along with all the conversational interludes. There are also some unexpected laughs. This movie flows in a direction that I did not expect at all. Plainly, the previews really only do scratch the surface of whatâ Expand
  4. Apr 19, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant movie. I think some people are going in expecting a slasher movie. Don't do that. It's more a black comedy wrapped around a great central concept. Whedon's humor is all over this flick, and he's never been funnier. Everybody praised Scream for the way it disassembled the horror genre, but Cabin does it SO much better.
  5. Apr 20, 2012
    The hype for this film does not match the execution. It was all over the place and should not be called a horror movie. It did provide a couple of jumps but more than anything it made me want to leap for the exit. I did go in with high expectations due to the reviews - I'm sure this did not help my reaction. The actors for the most part did a good job with what they were tasked. IThe hype for this film does not match the execution. It was all over the place and should not be called a horror movie. It did provide a couple of jumps but more than anything it made me want to leap for the exit. I did go in with high expectations due to the reviews - I'm sure this did not help my reaction. The actors for the most part did a good job with what they were tasked. I don't even think I would recommend this for video. Expand
  6. Apr 13, 2012
    Absolutely LOVED this movie. Do not read reviews, avoid spoilers at all costs and just go see it. If you like horrors movies at all you'll probably love this movie. Had some great scares, awesome CG, the story unfolded brilliantly and evolved perfectly in my mind. The first act is good, second act gets even better and the third act is just absolutely mind-bogglingly insane.

Go see it.
  7. Apr 22, 2012
    I can't go into specifics as this movie is pretty much a plot twist, but in essence this is two different stories. An intentionally standard slasher flick with the very expected archetypes, and a sub-story about making a movie for a very discerning audience... *cough* the discerning audience being the 11 negative reviews who are going "BWAAAAAAAAAAAAA the slasher flick is totally average!"I can't go into specifics as this movie is pretty much a plot twist, but in essence this is two different stories. An intentionally standard slasher flick with the very expected archetypes, and a sub-story about making a movie for a very discerning audience... *cough* the discerning audience being the 11 negative reviews who are going "BWAAAAAAAAAAAAA the slasher flick is totally average!" as I type this.

Basically, if you watch horror movies and wonder why people constantly make such stupid decisions and always fit their standard arhetypes, you'll find this movie hilarious and it'll actually tell you why people make the decisions they do in such movies if you bother to pay attention.

If you want an actual slasher flick where you can just shut off your brain and watch blood spill for a few hours, this may be a bit high brow and meta for your liking.
  8. Apr 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Maybe it's because I went in with high expectations. But I was let down big time. I love Joss. And I went in after reading a lot of positive hype on the net. And a couple of critics that I usually agree with that loved it also. And the only way to describe my feeling was let down.

I laughed quite a few times. I never did jump or even get remotely scared. I'm even having a hard time calling it a horror movie at all since it's really not. It almost borders on sci-fi but not really that either. I loved the stoner character. Though he was like a more intelligent shaggy. And I liked the control room guys and their fun on the job attitude.

As for the story, I thought the story was a really good idea. But poorly executed. I think the idea of all horror cliches being explained by this movie to be excellent. And maybe this is where the hype killed the payoff for me. I just wasn't all that wowed by the reveal.

That being said, those 5 minutes with the elevators were excellent. A little fast so you couldn't take it all in, but still, pretty darn cool.

Overall, I thought for a comedy/horror film this was middle of the road. I'd prefer more Tucker and Dale or Sean of the Dead.
  9. Apr 20, 2012
    One of the most original horror movies that I have seen in a VERY LONG time!! Such a fun time. Had some good scare moments but overall this movie never took itself too seriously. This should definitely should be experienced in a movie theater.
  10. Apr 22, 2012
    Know nothing about this film when you go to see it. Hollywood today with there plethora of remakes and book to big screen adaptations, lacks creativity. This movie is just that, boatloads of creativity. Legitimately the most fun I have had watching a movie in a long time. The girl that I took to see it had her head covered by her coat for half of the movie, I was laughing, jumping, and forKnow nothing about this film when you go to see it. Hollywood today with there plethora of remakes and book to big screen adaptations, lacks creativity. This movie is just that, boatloads of creativity. Legitimately the most fun I have had watching a movie in a long time. The girl that I took to see it had her head covered by her coat for half of the movie, I was laughing, jumping, and for the last thirty minutes of the movie just in absolute awe about how awesome what I was watching was. Def a must see. Expand
  11. Apr 21, 2012
    Man this year has been full of great stuff. This is well worth seeing. I give it a 10 just because its actually creative for a change and such a fun movie.! Highly recommend this seeing this.
  12. Apr 16, 2012
    While a huge fan of the writing style of Joss Whedon, I've always felt his attempts at horror were a little lacking. His previous horror based shows, "Buffy" and "Angel" were cult favorites because of the action and comedy elements. Where "Cabin" truly suffers is the Whedon-esque comedy implented to deflate any tension in the scenes that would traditionally belong to the horror genre. InWhile a huge fan of the writing style of Joss Whedon, I've always felt his attempts at horror were a little lacking. His previous horror based shows, "Buffy" and "Angel" were cult favorites because of the action and comedy elements. Where "Cabin" truly suffers is the Whedon-esque comedy implented to deflate any tension in the scenes that would traditionally belong to the horror genre. In addition, elements of the movie prevent the audience from developing any attachments to the characters and therefore are unable to feel strongly about their survival or possible deaths. Finally, the pacing of the movie suffers greatly which reduces the enjoyable scenes down to a broken "genre-bending" film the likes of which have not been seen since the film "Banraku". Expand
  13. Apr 21, 2012
    Without a doubt one of the best horror movies ive seen, great actors, smart plot, good funny moments. All around amazing movie. I reccomend this movie to anyone.
  14. Apr 16, 2012
    This movie had alot going for it, great commercials, and positive reviews, hemsworth. The movie turned about to be a huge disappointment. You can figure out in the first five minutes whats actually going on. It also reminded me alot of Thirteen Ghosts (meets Cube meets Evil Dead). There were some funny parts, mostly stoner humour, but still made me chuckle. But the rest of the movie,This movie had alot going for it, great commercials, and positive reviews, hemsworth. The movie turned about to be a huge disappointment. You can figure out in the first five minutes whats actually going on. It also reminded me alot of Thirteen Ghosts (meets Cube meets Evil Dead). There were some funny parts, mostly stoner humour, but still made me chuckle. But the rest of the movie, the parts that were supposed to be "serious" were cheesy at best. Even the supposed big reveal at the end was really a no brainer. A few jump out of your seat moments, but mostly due to loud music blasting through the speakers. This movie would have been straight to DVD if chris hemsworth wasnt in it. And thats how it should be treated. Expand
  15. Apr 14, 2012
    I do not understand how this movie has that rating that it does. I thought this was the worst movie I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot of movies. I am 50 years old, so I've seen my share of bad and good flicks. Do not waste your time or money on this one. I can rate this movie in three words "piece of crap". I asked for my money back! Enough said.
  16. Apr 14, 2012
    This is the most fun I've had at the movies in a long time. It pokes fun at itself and horror movies that proceeded it in an original and entertaining way. Twists and turns keep you guessing about what will happen at the end until you finally see for yourself. I wasn't expecting humor in it, but the humor is what made it what it is. Genius.
  17. Apr 14, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods is at once a well-executed love letter to horror films and a complaint about the current status of horror. The horror genre in general seems to currently be at a creative pit-stop. Too many horror films today re-use ideas from other movies. The Cabin in the Woods recognizes this idea and plays with it as it goes along. I haven't been this entertained or had thisThe Cabin in the Woods is at once a well-executed love letter to horror films and a complaint about the current status of horror. The horror genre in general seems to currently be at a creative pit-stop. Too many horror films today re-use ideas from other movies. The Cabin in the Woods recognizes this idea and plays with it as it goes along. I haven't been this entertained or had this much fun at a horror movie in a long time. Much of the fun of this movie comes the twists and turns that are dished out as it unfolds, so DO NOT read any plot summaries that may seem detailed. Go see this one in theatres. Expand
  18. Apr 26, 2012
    How do you create a movie that is a very good comedy, and a pretty creepy horror? I honestly can't do it, but the people who made this are great at it. Similar to Inception and Pulp Fiction (okay, maybe not so much the latter), this movie is horribly misunderstood by the common person, but to anyone who has a sense of meta-humour, good cinematography, writing, and great plot line thisHow do you create a movie that is a very good comedy, and a pretty creepy horror? I honestly can't do it, but the people who made this are great at it. Similar to Inception and Pulp Fiction (okay, maybe not so much the latter), this movie is horribly misunderstood by the common person, but to anyone who has a sense of meta-humour, good cinematography, writing, and great plot line this movie shines like lamp in a dark basement (See what I did there, I was implying that horror movies in general aren't that great... I was also referencing the movie). I did think that the end could have been "better" only because I didn't want it to end that way. Anyway, I'm just going to conclude with "That was awesome." Expand
  19. Sep 24, 2012
    This movie, was terrible!! I only rented it, becasue it recieved such good reviews from the critics. The movie is not smart and not fun! Avoid at all costs!
  20. Apr 15, 2012
    This movie is the cherry on the top of cake of this genre. I loved it! I laughed, I jumped a few times and at the end, I was just entertained to the max! What a hoot.
  21. Apr 16, 2012
    This movie is seriously awesome. I've seen a lot of horror movies in the last 10 years, and this one by far takes the cake. It's original, different, funny, entertaining, and purely delightful. If you haven't seen this yet, do so! Also try your absolute best not to hear any spoilers, it's best to see it without knowing anything about the plot. PAY THE $12 and SEE THIS NOW!
  22. Aug 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A combination of the truman show and a horror/fantasy movie with unconvincing acting and somewhat lame plot (the cliche breaking was unfitting, just confusing).
    And if a movie should catch my attention please don't start it off as any other horror film ever made, it ruins the impression, even though it's a parody. How would I know this was not just a standard horror movie?
    With bad acting and a uninteresting plot, not even scary, the only thing that i like about this movie is that its so predictable its funny.
  23. Apr 24, 2012
    WHAT?!? This movie is an utter disaster and left me vowing to never see another Hollywood movie. I don't even know how to begin to explain why it is so bad. Stuck it out to the end just to say I did. Honestly felt this movie had NO redeeming qualities. Felt sad for Sigourney Weaver sucking into such a pile of ****. I am honestly stunned and speechless at the positive reviews. I amWHAT?!? This movie is an utter disaster and left me vowing to never see another Hollywood movie. I don't even know how to begin to explain why it is so bad. Stuck it out to the end just to say I did. Honestly felt this movie had NO redeeming qualities. Felt sad for Sigourney Weaver sucking into such a pile of ****. I am honestly stunned and speechless at the positive reviews. I am open minded and understand irony and cliche, but this thing was unbelievably bad and actually left me depressed at the thought of this movie qualifying as legitimate entertainment. OMG we're screwed as a society. Just an orgy of images, half-baked thoughts and attempts at clever bathed in cute monsters and blood. I give up. Expand
  24. Apr 14, 2012
    The first 20minutes of this movie made me think.... How stupid are the people that reviewed this well? After that I saw the pure genius behind the cabin. Going back to the ancient times of human sacrifices this makes me go back to when movies were witty and original and this takes that for the gold.
  25. Apr 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The score goes just for the laughs. Horror genre? U kiddin me? The worst movie I have ever seen. Maybe the ratings are just for the special effects that are in this piece of junk! However, those aren't something you haven't seen before!!! Wasted my money and time! Expand
  26. Apr 16, 2012
    The best film since Apocalypto! Masterpiece of 2012. Shocking+Innovative+Scary+Funny. I don't want to add anything else.
    Don't let other to spoil it for you.
  27. Apr 17, 2012
    This film is refreshingly original. A brilliant hybrid of both horror and comedy; 'The Cabin In The Woods' is simply good fun. Without spoiling anything it'll be like nothing you've ever seen before.
  28. ETV
    Apr 21, 2012
    I was waiting for this film for over a year. And I was not let down. I enjoyed every part of it. A big fan of Joss and Drew I knew I wouldn't be bored. Those who say they didn't like it, took it too seriously and obviously don't understand the film!! So if you are actually smart you'll enjoy it
  29. Apr 23, 2012
    I thought this movie was horrible. If it was meant to be funny, it wasn't. The humor was juvenile and stupid. If it was meant to be scary, it wasn't. I found myself napping halfway through. And don't think it's because I don't appreciate this "sub-genre" or don't "get it.". I thought Zombieland was great.

Don't believe the hype, this movie stinks. For the life of me I don't understand all of the good reviews.
  30. Apr 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. probably the one of the most boring movies i have seen at the cinema apart from paul blart mall cop. i could not wait for it to be over, i gain more enjoyment from watching the trailers of other movies before the showing of this film. Expand
  31. Jul 22, 2012
    I have to give the movie credit for having some unexpected twist but overall it is probably one of the most ridiculous movies I have ever seen. Starts off interesting, then gets ridiculous, and continues to get more ridiculous as the film continues. Luckily I saw it at the $1.99 theater and still paid about $1.95 too much!!
  32. Oct 26, 2012
    I really wanted to like this movie, but from the jump, it was just awful. The entire movie does not any sense. The should of written a traditional slasher in the woods movie. Would of been a better movie.
  33. Apr 22, 2012
    What is marketed as a horror film turns out to be more like a B-movie rip off of the Truman Show. Avoid it at all costs, unless you get a kick out of films with horribly jumpy storylines and poor acting.
  34. May 3, 2012
    I heard so much buzz about this movie and was utterly disappointed. Yes, the plot was original but so convoluted. I cannot believe this film scored a 72!! If you haven't seen the British comedy/horror film "Severance", watch it instead. Not as original but certainly a much better film.
  35. Apr 28, 2012
    Cabin in the Woods is an enjoyable film for horror aficionados and horror virgins alike. Although it fails to be particularly scary it is a great romp through the horror genre. Some aspects of it are lacking. Whilst the stereotyping of the characters is necessary, the dialogue often fails to hit home. What could be laugh out loud quips only raise at most a chuckle and often theCabin in the Woods is an enjoyable film for horror aficionados and horror virgins alike. Although it fails to be particularly scary it is a great romp through the horror genre. Some aspects of it are lacking. Whilst the stereotyping of the characters is necessary, the dialogue often fails to hit home. What could be laugh out loud quips only raise at most a chuckle and often the dialogue feels like a rush job, tacked onto the end of what is an accomplished story arc. In addition (and I hate to bring up realism in what is so clearly a fictional film) the main characters appear to be superhuman. Everyone knows that some leeway can be given in horror films on this point, but characters appear to receive near mortal wounds and yet three scenes later are completely restored to full health. Perhaps I'm nit picking but it bothered me more than once. I would have given this a higher score but the two points above detracted enough to stop Cabin in the Woods being a tour de force, instead leaving it more a tour de genre. Expand
  36. Sep 22, 2012
    Lets see what redeeming factors we can pull from this movie. Is it funny? No. I may have gotten a laugh or two in the whole thing. Scary? Not even close. Suspenseful? If you actually care about the characters, maybe. I watched this with my mom and at the end we both just looked at each other and couldn't believe how bad this movie was. I only watch movies that have favorableLets see what redeeming factors we can pull from this movie. Is it funny? No. I may have gotten a laugh or two in the whole thing. Scary? Not even close. Suspenseful? If you actually care about the characters, maybe. I watched this with my mom and at the end we both just looked at each other and couldn't believe how bad this movie was. I only watch movies that have favorable reviews and usually they are right. Someone compared this to Evil Dead in another review I read. Yea right. That movie was actually funny. Expand
  37. Sep 19, 2012
    This movie is a breath of fresh air for the horror genre. And holy **** I want that transformable coffee mug / bong that the stoner character used... too bad that prototype cost $5000 to make 0_o
  38. Aug 28, 2012
    Ridiculous film with nonsense plot lines and silly, cheesy script. Stereotypical Yank rubbish! They never learn. To be fair I did laugh quite a few times at the stupidness I was watching.
  39. Apr 22, 2012
    I watched this movie yesterday and I want to say that this movie is really cool. This movie is really unpredictable and insane. And the jokes, they are awesome.
  40. Apr 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. By far one of the films that i am thankful for going to on a whim. The Cabin in the Woods was a dominant force to what a solid film can contain. This movie was filled with it all humor, thrill, scare, action, romance, and even gore. The way to movie flowed and and grabbed viewers attention was phenomenal, ill think twice before walking into the next cabin i enter in the woods who knows what could be in the cellar waiting for me. Expand
  41. Apr 28, 2012
    Never has a recent horror film been so purely exhilarating, funny and ultimately entertaining as this. Clever, twisty, and brilliant right from the start to the end. Possibly the best film of 2012 so far, and that's saying something.
  42. Apr 28, 2012
    I really enjoyed this movie. I'm a big fan of horror movies but i went into this movie not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised by the extent to which they had thought outside the box.
  43. Apr 28, 2012
    I don't understand how this movie received so many good reviews on the internet,coz it's an absolute crap.Whoever was writing the scenario for that film must have been on acid or something.haven't seen such a stupid film for a long time.total waste of money.you can't call it's a horror film coz it's not scary at all.all i could think about while watching this film was 'what a f...is thatI don't understand how this movie received so many good reviews on the internet,coz it's an absolute crap.Whoever was writing the scenario for that film must have been on acid or something.haven't seen such a stupid film for a long time.total waste of money.you can't call it's a horror film coz it's not scary at all.all i could think about while watching this film was 'what a f...is that crap".seriously i feel sorry for all you people who gave this film good reviews.Unless you where on acid as well. Expand
  44. Apr 29, 2012
    The only recognition this movie will make is the top"worst movies of all time"
    Lions gate should have left it in "liimbo"
    Horror not so much..funny maybe..
    Overall give this one -1 star..
  45. May 6, 2012
    The movie starts out great. Fun elements of hidden story unfold slowly. Gets a little crazy half way through and ends in a blanket of cat ladies full crazy. Watch the first half, then skip to 5 minutes to ending. You don't see this ending too often.
  46. May 22, 2012
    Cabin in the woods was the best movie ever made. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. I guess the very very very end coulda been better but End of story. End of story. End ofCabin in the woods was the best movie ever made. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. I guess the very very very end coulda been better but End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. Expand
  47. Sep 9, 2012
    Seriously critics? THIS movie is intelligent, brilliant and shocking? Absolutely no! This is just crap. It mixes every stupid idea other horror film makers had in the past years into one. Horrible actors, horrible dialogues and a plot which is extremely unrealistic. They begin with the usual bad horror movie and end up in an unfamiliar scenario which makes you laugh your ass off becauseSeriously critics? THIS movie is intelligent, brilliant and shocking? Absolutely no! This is just crap. It mixes every stupid idea other horror film makers had in the past years into one. Horrible actors, horrible dialogues and a plot which is extremely unrealistic. They begin with the usual bad horror movie and end up in an unfamiliar scenario which makes you laugh your ass off because it's just too silly. One of the worst movies I've seen by far - I can't believe my eyes when I'm reading the critics... Expand
  48. Nov 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was not funny enough to be a comedy... and was not scary enough to be a horror movie!
    The movie is an average mixture of those to genres. The characters are all clichés /I know they are supposed to be to some extent), and there is no character development at all. The horror/chase scenes could use some more suspense (They focused on the gore unfortunately). The ending of the movie is not that "shocking" as some critics say.... Nothing we haven't seen before in other horror movie...
  49. Sep 23, 2012
    The cabin in the woods, a horror classic. This movie is good, entertaining, and a story that leaves you with your mouth open. It is a film in which you take confidence with the characters and enjoy seeing it a lot. It will happen very fast.
  50. Sep 27, 2012
    I truly wanted to like this film. I really did. I got a drink and a blanket ready and everything, but it really was such a disappointment.

'Cabin in the Woods', Hooray, another slasher movie! Sarcasm aside, I was interested to watch this film when I heard that it wasn't what it seemed. I was told that the twist was phenomenal the execution of the film was brilliant. I clearly need to stop relying on my friends and their judgement...

It's starts off with what seems to be your typical college students 'oh my god I might totally get laid tonight' casting and therefore put me in a fairly bad mood before the first 5 minutes had passed. It then became clear that this was really what the film centred around and yes, there genuinely was a lot more to it than you would expect. One thing you really can't do is say that the film is unimaginative, it definitely isn't lacking in that respect. My main issue with it was that I just found it boring. It was fairly obvious where the twist was going very early on in the film and the main 'dun dun duuuuun' revelation moment at the end was just...well...not good. I'm aware that it doesn't take itself serious as a horror film, it isn't meant to, I just found it all a little too messy and I felt that the plot got out of the hand, a little bit like the director got fed up and allowed a 7 year old boy dictate the rest of the storyline. 'AND THEN THERE WERE MONSTERS AND AND AND...' a little bit like that. There were parts that I found funny and parts that were quite fun to watch, but on the whole, it was a little bit like chewing gum for the eyes. I'm not appalled at myself for spending an hour and a half of my life watching it but I will have forgotten about it tomorrow. I appreciate that other people may have really enjoyed it and found the whole thing really interesting, but it was lost on me unfortunately.

The reason I'm giving this 4 instead of 2 or 3 is simply because of the stoner guy. Because we all need a friend like Marty.
  51. Oct 30, 2012
    I didnt watch the whole film. Put it this way, it was that bad, i turned it off a half an hour into it. I do not understand the good ratings for this film. Oh my god is it so annoying. Such bad acting, cheesy kills. stay away from this film
  52. Nov 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. Considering how groundbreaking this film was reputedly supposed to be, "The Cabin in the Woods" was . . . decent. It had some fun humorous moments, some good characters and the plot twists are admittedly imaginative and somewhat original. However, as a whole, the film's attempt at upending the genre results in a somewhat clumsy presentation. The plot does grow and progress with a fair amount of grace, but when you start off with your typical slasher setup and end with literally armageddon, it's hard for the movie to feel consistent and connected overall. You gradually move through two or perhaps three different types of movies and a multitude of genres. This would work really well, of course, if executed with the right precision, but here it leaves you only partially satisfied. I rented the movie expecting a somewhat clever slasher film - now, I'm expecting the sequel to be the third "Clash of the Titans". If you enjoy original or imaginative stories, you'll probably really get into this one. It just didn't quite do as much for me as I thought it would. Collapse
  53. Feb 17, 2013
    This movie has one of the worst plot lines I've ever seen, it's gimmicky trying to pull in the audience with gruesome deaths that could have been thought up by a 12 year old...OH AND boobs! you like boobs right?,right? well if you want boobs look elsewhere, all the babes in this movie make the walls jealous with their flat chests...Moving on... They break the Immersion that a good horrorThis movie has one of the worst plot lines I've ever seen, it's gimmicky trying to pull in the audience with gruesome deaths that could have been thought up by a 12 year old...OH AND boobs! you like boobs right?,right? well if you want boobs look elsewhere, all the babes in this movie make the walls jealous with their flat chests...Moving on... They break the Immersion that a good horror movie should have too, with mediocre character development, and terribly predictable outcomes when they encounter the hillbilly zombie family...No I you not that is the literal name of the monsters in this film. Now before I get asked, no the acting isn't terrible, but it's not amazing either sometimes even ruining the immersion even further with unbelievably dull reactions and lackluster expression, how am I supposed to be scared or laugh when your characters aren't even petrified. Oh what? you thought that was it?- no. The ending is really unexpected but only because of the stupidity it took the characters to get to such a conclusion. Overall, maybe it might make your girl cuddle up into your wimpy arms once or twice, but other than that, I wouldn't watch this movie if you truly want to have the need to check under your bed and lock your doors before sleeping, like any good horror movie should, It's unbelievable that people are giving it an 8, 9, and EVEN 10 out of 10 for this. I couldn't even tell what genre it was, I thought it was horror; which is why I bought it, but I was never scared. About 20 minutes in I started to think "Oh this must be a comedy!" but I never laughed. Overall a let down, I would severely hesitate and think about it before watching this stain of a movie. Expand
  54. Jun 30, 2013
    It was an original idea! Joss Whedon is one of the best, he always surprises us.
    And have chosen perfect actor for these parts! This movie should be awarded, 8!
  55. Feb 27, 2013
    From the title, description, and most of the footage you've probably seen, The Cabin in the Woods looks like the same awful, recycled horror film you've seen over and over. A bunch of vapid college kids are going to spend a weekend in a cabin, where they'll probably get hacked up... big freaking deal, right? But all of that is a smokescreen, much like the titular cabin itself. InFrom the title, description, and most of the footage you've probably seen, The Cabin in the Woods looks like the same awful, recycled horror film you've seen over and over. A bunch of vapid college kids are going to spend a weekend in a cabin, where they'll probably get hacked up... big freaking deal, right? But all of that is a smokescreen, much like the titular cabin itself. In reality, this movie is meta-horror: it's a horror film about why horror films suck. It's also a fantastic dark comedy. You don't want to miss this film. Expand
  56. BKM
    Dec 19, 2012
    Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard do their best to breathe new life into the horror genre, and The Cabin in the Woods is certainly clever and entertaining. Yet I think that the film will strike more of a chord with the genre's die hard fans and I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed by the ending which turns out to be little more than a giant wink at the tired conventions that haveJoss Whedon and Drew Goddard do their best to breathe new life into the horror genre, and The Cabin in the Woods is certainly clever and entertaining. Yet I think that the film will strike more of a chord with the genre's die hard fans and I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed by the ending which turns out to be little more than a giant wink at the tired conventions that have always defined horror films. Expand
  57. Apr 16, 2012
    If you want to be scared, don't go see this movie. If you want to laugh and you liked something like Zombieland? Go see this. Sure I applaud the writer and director's intellect and use of metaphor, but you don't care about anyone and it's just a bunch of ideas and metaphors thrown into one **** movie. I was sincerely disappointed. I want my money back
  58. Apr 15, 2012
    Avoid spoilers and go see it! A movie for horror fans that delivers on EVERY promise it makes. Brilliant. Also, it features the most enjoyable scene I've ever seen!
  59. Dec 30, 2012
    This is one of the best horror movies I've ever seen. Once I saw it in theaters I knew that I was going to buy it once it came out on blu-ray! The last 30 minutes is literally epic! If you haven't seen it, do yourselves a favor and watch it.
  60. Apr 24, 2012
    Theres only one word to describe this movie: badass. Its definitely on my top ten list for best movies i've seen, and i'd recommend it to anybody looking for a great movie to see in theaters. I wouldn't call it a horror flick though. It really belongs in the suspense genre.
  61. Oct 13, 2012
    The correct attitude to enter this movie with is the idea that it is a horror movie.

The correct knowledge to EXIT this movie with is the knowledge that it is NOT a horror movie, but rather a deconstruction of the genre.

The Cabin in the Woods is not a horror movie, but it sets itself up to pretend to be one. Instead, it is a wonderful black comedy that criticizes horror movie tropes.
  62. Apr 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's basically a weed film. The main male protagonist is a weed head, he survives because he's high, and at the survivors smoke weed. Other than that, it wasn't really all that interesting it reminded me a lot of 13 Ghosts. Expand
  63. Apr 13, 2012
    9 or a 10. hmmm. 10

9 or a 10. hmmm. 10

this movie has it all. purely entertaining. works on multiple levels. should be enjoyed by anybody who enjoys horror movies and, most importantly, has seen some horror movies that they thought were crap. Cabin in the Woods will also be of great interest to people who enjoy movies about movies, bad movies and total campfests.. but this film is much more than just an examination of bad movie tropes. there's a lot going on and ultimately a lot to think about. it's a must see.
  64. Apr 15, 2012
    One of the coolest, freshest, best movies I've seen at the theater in a long, long time. You owe it to yourself to see this film. It's just when you think the movie's going to zig...it zags. Keeps you on your toes all the way until the credits roll.
  65. May 3, 2012
    I fail to see why this film is so well received by critics; sure it's plot is pretty unconventional and it's original, but I couldn't help but feel it was a bit too ridiculous, obviously I won't spoil anything but it's nothing what I expected it to be. This isn't to say it's a bad movie, it's certainly decent by horror standards, but the plot just irritated me. Has a few jumpy moments too,I fail to see why this film is so well received by critics; sure it's plot is pretty unconventional and it's original, but I couldn't help but feel it was a bit too ridiculous, obviously I won't spoil anything but it's nothing what I expected it to be. This isn't to say it's a bad movie, it's certainly decent by horror standards, but the plot just irritated me. Has a few jumpy moments too, but don't go in expecting a non-stop horror barrage like I did! Expand
  66. Apr 13, 2012
    The horror genre desperately needed a movie like this. Recent offerings have relied far too heavily on gore, **** and jump scares to get a rise out audiences, and while The Cabin in the Woods has all three of these, they are not a means to an end but merely a meta reference to the problems plaguing the modern "scary" movie. The reason this film works and entertains is that it has actualThe horror genre desperately needed a movie like this. Recent offerings have relied far too heavily on gore, **** and jump scares to get a rise out audiences, and while The Cabin in the Woods has all three of these, they are not a means to an end but merely a meta reference to the problems plaguing the modern "scary" movie. The reason this film works and entertains is that it has actual substance, and without revealing what exactly I mean by that, I will say that it is unlike anything you have ever seen before. Its twists and turns are so outrageous, so ingenious, so hilarious, even, that you will wholly forgive the bland characters and the occasional cringe worthy line of dialogue. TCITW is a breath of fresh air, and absolutely worth the price of admission for anyone willing to submit their minds to a little 90 minute bender. Expand
  67. Apr 25, 2012
    Absolutely loved this movie! I went for Joss Whedon and I was not disappointed. The story was great and kept me guessing, even though I had read some reviews. Acting was good, especially Fran Kranz. It was funny, but this did not cheapen the thrills. I was still jumping occasionally. Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford had great chemistry and helped to bring the balance betweenAbsolutely loved this movie! I went for Joss Whedon and I was not disappointed. The story was great and kept me guessing, even though I had read some reviews. Acting was good, especially Fran Kranz. It was funny, but this did not cheapen the thrills. I was still jumping occasionally. Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford had great chemistry and helped to bring the balance between comedy and serious undertones that Joss is known for. I was also impressed by the supporting cast members. All in all, a must see for anyone, even those that hate horror. Expand
  68. Apr 14, 2012
    Loved the movie. It was funny, tense, and intriguing at the same time. Probably the best horror movie I've seen since the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
  69. Apr 15, 2012
    this movie was just wow! it was on a whole different level! the story in this movie is something seriously original! imagine "vacancy" meets "saw" its something pretty awesome. the movie was thrilling and scary, yet it pulled of a lot of laughs. fantastic movie!
  70. Apr 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw The Cabin in the Woods last night and it was freakin' awesome. I cannot believe Sigourney Weaver was almost at the end of the movie where she was the director behind this fake Survivor-like reality show where they put five friends in a cabin house and all of a sudden, they didn't know that they've been setup by a security camera and everyone is watching for the five who wants to die. Everyone went crazy and I was stunned. I think this is the best horror movie of 2012 this far because it's not a reboot or a remake, but with lots of horrid zombies and gruesome creatures. I think it's paying homage to the Evil Dead and the video game "Resident Evil 2" with the deadly snakes and all the animals that a little lot like zombies. But the movie is awesome, can't wait for "Resident Evil: Retribution" and "Piranha 3DD." Expand
  71. Apr 27, 2012
    Although I don't believe we wasted our money or time, or that the movie was a total "piece of crap", I'd suggest as others have that you save your money. The movie had a respectable amount of laughs, originality, worthy acting, and likeable characters, but it just wasn't enough. Maybe it was the sorely missing really scary moments. Anyway, when the film was over my wife asked me if I'dAlthough I don't believe we wasted our money or time, or that the movie was a total "piece of crap", I'd suggest as others have that you save your money. The movie had a respectable amount of laughs, originality, worthy acting, and likeable characters, but it just wasn't enough. Maybe it was the sorely missing really scary moments. Anyway, when the film was over my wife asked me if I'd recommend this movie to anyone. Despite the rave reviews this film has garnered, and despite the good points I've pointed out, I did not hesitate to answer, "No". Expand
  72. Jun 10, 2012
    Yes the final reveal/twist was cute, is it enough to make a bad movie work? No, you can ask Shyamalan he'd know. This movie spends so much time trying to be "meta" and clever that it completely forgets it's supposed to entertain its audience. There's just nothing going on for the entire first half hour! And then it takes another half hour to really get going, already wasting 1 hour forYes the final reveal/twist was cute, is it enough to make a bad movie work? No, you can ask Shyamalan he'd know. This movie spends so much time trying to be "meta" and clever that it completely forgets it's supposed to entertain its audience. There's just nothing going on for the entire first half hour! And then it takes another half hour to really get going, already wasting 1 hour for nothing. By the time the big reveal happens I didn't care, and why would I as the movie makes no effort at all to make the characters or the story interesting. No work no payoff, sorry. Expand
  73. Apr 13, 2012
    A new horror queen, I love it! The Cabin in the Woods take all the meet cliches, and play with they, the cast OMG great performances, is an amazing movie, with a fantastic cast, the reborn of the horror movies.
  74. Apr 13, 2012
    The Cabin in The Woods is a twisted story, that kind of twists out of control. Sure, I did enjoy my time at the movie theater, but it's as much of a horror film as it is a unsuspecting satire of modern horror. Set in the most cliched setting, five friends find themselves haunted by puppeteers and sets off in motion a surprisingly funny spooky event. But in reality, if I wanted to see aThe Cabin in The Woods is a twisted story, that kind of twists out of control. Sure, I did enjoy my time at the movie theater, but it's as much of a horror film as it is a unsuspecting satire of modern horror. Set in the most cliched setting, five friends find themselves haunted by puppeteers and sets off in motion a surprisingly funny spooky event. But in reality, if I wanted to see a fantasy movie I would like to be told beforehand. The movie twists and turns itself that it spirals itself out of control and also out of sensibility by the end. Watch it at your own peril, but I feel that this movie will either have you loving it, or hating it. It's never been done before, but the horror comedy is still very entertaining when at it's best. Expand
  75. Apr 17, 2012
    This film was pure amazement. This movie will be a classic later on because it is probably the best well-put horror film I have ever seen. The cast, the plot, the twists ahead all come into place with "The Cabin in the Woods" and works out perfectly. Go see this film you will not regret it.

"You think you know the story"
  76. Oct 26, 2012
    I know its trying to be a metaphor for modern horror films. I know its also a black humour horror with a brilliant twist. Yes, there is a twist and no its impact isn't exactly profound as they tell us that IN THE TRAILER ALREADY. When you watch a horror film, you come for the scares and the thrills. Cabin in the Woods gives you none of the former and dishes out the latter in a ridiculous,I know its trying to be a metaphor for modern horror films. I know its also a black humour horror with a brilliant twist. Yes, there is a twist and no its impact isn't exactly profound as they tell us that IN THE TRAILER ALREADY. When you watch a horror film, you come for the scares and the thrills. Cabin in the Woods gives you none of the former and dishes out the latter in a ridiculous, dark-humourly manner. Its not a bad thing but its call a horror movie, not a black humour monster fantasy slasher. The final half an hour is plain ridiculous and feels more like a Resident Evil movie who's overdosed on heroin and overused gory props in distasteful scenes. Indeed, its paying homage to horror films and esp the ambience created by H.P Lovecraft but seriously, for most viewers (i.e. 80% of us who dont usually indulge in hardcore horror flicks). its just...weird. If you're a true horror fan, you may love this movie. For me, however, someone who just wants to thrilled and be enthralled in a scare-fest, this became a bore of a film which would've been a lot more interesting had more of the movie made any sense. Add in the Lovecraft factor that you may love or hate, and you have what feels like a B-grade gore flick that caters only for the true horror fans and leaves the rest of us in the cold. Decide for yourself whether you enjoy the taste of this flick but I am sitting on the fence for this one, my stomach impaled by a unicorn. Expand
  77. Apr 15, 2012
    I had zero expectations when I walked into this film, I thought, "Generic five friends go out to cabin in in the middle of nowhere, brutally killed by monsters, seen it before." I knew there was some government control going on, but nothing more. The trailer for this movie doesn't capture its true greatness. Joss Wheadon and Drew Goddard did a perfect job of blending humor and horror. TheI had zero expectations when I walked into this film, I thought, "Generic five friends go out to cabin in in the middle of nowhere, brutally killed by monsters, seen it before." I knew there was some government control going on, but nothing more. The trailer for this movie doesn't capture its true greatness. Joss Wheadon and Drew Goddard did a perfect job of blending humor and horror. The funny parts were absolutely hilarious, and the horror scenes were done brilliantly. I wish there were more movies like this. I will gladly see this again... I want the DVD now. Expand
  78. Apr 14, 2012
    Fantastic. The film delivers exactly as promised: it begins as a traditional slasher film, but eventually becomes a mind-boggling twist of a film. You get hints earlier on than I had expected, but the whole thing doesn't really come together until the end. Joss Whedon's sense of humor is very prevalent, and the counterbalance of Goddard's writing makes it that much better. Perfectly pacedFantastic. The film delivers exactly as promised: it begins as a traditional slasher film, but eventually becomes a mind-boggling twist of a film. You get hints earlier on than I had expected, but the whole thing doesn't really come together until the end. Joss Whedon's sense of humor is very prevalent, and the counterbalance of Goddard's writing makes it that much better. Perfectly paced and entertaining from start to finish. Expand
  79. Apr 28, 2012
    I'm not one to bother leaving a review but after watching this film due to the good opinions I felt compelled to leave my review. Firstly this is essentially the Truman show except without a joker and in the woods. The characters irritated me, they were all predictably college. None of them could act either which is a shame. Though it's no surprise with the writers of this film. The storyI'm not one to bother leaving a review but after watching this film due to the good opinions I felt compelled to leave my review. Firstly this is essentially the Truman show except without a joker and in the woods. The characters irritated me, they were all predictably college. None of them could act either which is a shame. Though it's no surprise with the writers of this film. The story is just ridiculous, not clever at all. Also to the people that claim this isn't funny, I agree. I can't remember laughing once.

Critics must have got a nice payment for some of these reviews. I imagine this film will surface at around 6 once people calm down about the hype. Save your time.
  80. Apr 28, 2012
    A great horror movie, has a few laughs interjected but make no mistake, this is not a parody, it IS a graphic horror movie that has real scares. Very original and beware of spoilers, because the suspense would be ruined, most original horror movie I've seen in years, well acted too.
  81. Aug 27, 2012
    One of the worst horror movies I've ever seen. It's supposed to be all 'cool' because this film is taking the piss out of your standard predictable horror film. The irony is that this is a standard predictable horror film too. 2/10
  82. Aug 19, 2012
    This movie is just f*cking awesome! It plays with the classic horror conventions and does it with and absolute wicked sense of humor. Some scenes in this film that can be considered iconic and this film wil certainly get a deserved high ranking among the cult classics. This is one you HAVE to see!
  83. Jul 18, 2012
    "Cabin in the Woods" is like a Halley's Comet. You're only gonna see it once, and you're never gonna see anything like it again your whole life.
  84. Sep 25, 2012
    This movie has been the best I have seen in years! You got all emotions in one film! You got fear, thrill, suspense, gory, comedy, romance, sexual, nudity all in one film. And that weird feeling that you get once in a while "what the hell am am I watching" However, what makes the movie really nice that in never thorough out the movie looses its seriousness. It keeps a real theme all theThis movie has been the best I have seen in years! You got all emotions in one film! You got fear, thrill, suspense, gory, comedy, romance, sexual, nudity all in one film. And that weird feeling that you get once in a while "what the hell am am I watching" However, what makes the movie really nice that in never thorough out the movie looses its seriousness. It keeps a real theme all the way. Even tho its meant as a comedy. I wont lie, this movie is not for every one. When I first saw it, I wasn't it sure if I was suppose to laugh or get scared. Anyway, defiantly a must watch movie. Best part you got the pot head, the extremely hot Blondie`s with her boobs character, with the monsters, zombies and lost of blood. pop some popcorn and go to red box! And the best part, I mean, you got all these different seance from monstrosity to ghosts, to technology, to special effects, this is not a cheap underground movie, The producers really deserve some credit on the graphics and audio! great movie, cant say any more! Expand
  85. Nov 5, 2012
    Whedon and Goddard switch it up three or four times before the shocking climax but never lose their exhilarating pace. It's funny, sexy, and scary as hell. It's also one of the best horror films of the past twenty years.
  86. Feb 9, 2013
    High ratings? What is everybody smoking while watching this? Can I have some? Pass some of that good stuff people, I`m back here!!!! I had to fast forward through crap. I`m glad I did not pay to watch this trash!! I`m not a horror movie fan, but man I wish it was, then it might have a point. People said unexpected turns but I found it all predictable! It fails at being a horror movie, TheyHigh ratings? What is everybody smoking while watching this? Can I have some? Pass some of that good stuff people, I`m back here!!!! I had to fast forward through crap. I`m glad I did not pay to watch this trash!! I`m not a horror movie fan, but man I wish it was, then it might have a point. People said unexpected turns but I found it all predictable! It fails at being a horror movie, They failed to make me laugh with the lame jokes. It`s not the worst movie, probably cause it was hoping to fail even at being the worst.I think the people who liked this movie, are females into the guy actors, and men into the female actors. The people who liked this movie also liked a particular character that got high, high, high lol Expand
  87. Aug 13, 2013
    this movie was horrible i didn't like it at all and it was the worst thing ive ever seen it was just a complete waste of time the biggest waste of 1 hour and 34 minutes i wish i could have that time back
  88. Nov 21, 2013
    Dumbest movie ever.EPIC FAIL would be just perfect to describe the nature of the movie.Pathetic mixture of horror and sci-fi genre.Location was excellent for a horror movie but all they could do is take out zombies and weird faced aliens and blood.That is not a definition of a horror movie nor is it suitable for a massacre genre movie.It does not fit in the boots of something like IdentityDumbest movie ever.EPIC FAIL would be just perfect to describe the nature of the movie.Pathetic mixture of horror and sci-fi genre.Location was excellent for a horror movie but all they could do is take out zombies and weird faced aliens and blood.That is not a definition of a horror movie nor is it suitable for a massacre genre movie.It does not fit in the boots of something like Identity nor for The Women in Black neither for Saw.It is an unexpected punch in the face for all of those who thought this would be good for spending 2 hours of your life.Well folks,those who did not watch this one,I demand you to stay away from it ,those of you who did,I share you sorrow Expand
  89. Jan 11, 2014
    One of my favorite movies & directors!! I get so frustrated when people say they bailed at the start of the movie then write a review (you have to see the movie to understand it!! Common sense!) If you are not familiar with Joss Whedon or his humor you may be surprised by his ability to be witty, sarcastic & smart all at once. By the way Whedon is the creator of tv's Buffy the VampireOne of my favorite movies & directors!! I get so frustrated when people say they bailed at the start of the movie then write a review (you have to see the movie to understand it!! Common sense!) If you are not familiar with Joss Whedon or his humor you may be surprised by his ability to be witty, sarcastic & smart all at once. By the way Whedon is the creator of tv's Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel & Firefly as well as movies like The Avengers & Thor. He also wrote 24 issues of Astonishing X Men in 2008. When I saw the movie on opening day I had a very vague idea of what the film was about & I'll admit the intro threw me for a serious loop. I was worried at first (I will never question Whedon again) but as always Joss delivered a horror movie full of witty humor, great characters & plot twists that were unique & not at all generic or obvious & an ending that you wont see coming (unless your a Whedon fan....) its a great movie that has earned a spot on my top 10. Its not your typical horror film & not all that scary but its got the makings of a cult classic, assuming people actually give it a chance & watch the whole film! Expand
  90. Feb 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The film starts an d you see all these drawings, some kid's got too creative? I mean what! This old guy compplains that its hard to open his draws. OH MY GOD! He then says you can't trust Swedes. Oi. Then a super sexy scene comes one where you see the main girl in panties. Ooh. Put some clothes on. The swag-mobile then comes. Oh, and he looks like Shaggy from Scooby Doo. I like food.Missy then says that she hopes THE ONLY ROAD is the right road, even though theres no other roads to go down. Old man cliche.. Theres then a long scene about how that old man is on speakerphone. The old men think its the funniest **** Shaggy then thinks a wolf is a moose. He never did learn any skills in Scooby Doo apart from being scared. Theres then another sexy sexy sexy scene, this time with beastiality. Shaggy then thinks puppeteers are pop tarts. *clap clap clap*. More s3xy scenes, this time with a tit cliche *Adjusts knob* **** puppet dance. The girl's head is then thrown into the main girl's hands. And that is why you should always stay clothed. INDIANA JONES MOMENT... and he's dead. A zombie arm then makes Shaggy dance. MASS MASSACRE! Then along comes the... MERMAN! Some woman having a midlife crisis then calls PBG/Shaggy a fool. Giant gods cliche then happens, but is presented very well, and makes you wonder... would you lose your life for the world? Ok. That film was amazing. Anyone might think there are cliches, but it's mainly to be self-aware, and makes fun of itself. The ending is a bit... well, it's ok., but the rest of the fiml is near perfect If you are a horror film fan, buy it. Expand
  91. Sep 16, 2014
    Comienza como la clásica película de horror con unos adolescentes estereotipados que están listos para morir en una cabaña del bosque... Propuesta dinámica e interesante. Buena mezcla final !
  92. Apr 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed the film as a horror/comedy, but I can't give it one of my TOP ratings simply because I was in the mood to get scared tonight - and there's nothing particularly scary about this film. They pull you out of the moment far too often to switch to the control room sequences - which is what makes this film entirely unique and interesting - and funny! But what makes horror movies set in the woods, or the desert, or the south pole, or space so scary is that palpable sense of isolation - nobody is there to hear you scream. But in this case, there's room full of guys waiting to see if the hot girl will take her top off. It's the opposite of isolation - they're all right there with you. Yes, it's gory, and it's fun, and it's smart, but simply not scary. By contrast, the Evil Dead movies had big scares in them, though they were also funny as hell. As far as the cast goes, the Dollhouse grads (Frank Franz and Amy Acker) are my faves - and they should be in MANY more films - not just the Joss Whedon projects. It's awesome that Whitford, Jenkins, and Weaver did this film - all are terrific in it. Again, it's a very good movie, and highly unique and entertaining - it just fell short of what I was expecting. I still recommend it. Expand
  93. May 17, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods simply oozes brilliance. It deconstructs almost every aspect of modern day horror tropes with such energetic wit. Despite being a little less frightening than I was hoping for, Goddard and Whedon have crafted such an outrageously fun film. Try not to smile. I dare you.
  94. Apr 13, 2012
    If you like horror movies, If you like Joss Whedon shows (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, etc) If you like Evil Dead, if you enjoy a bit of humor with your horror, if you just like an original fun story. If you like any or all of these things, then this movie is for you. It IS NOT a regular old fashion slasher film. It is something sooooo much greater but to tell you anything willIf you like horror movies, If you like Joss Whedon shows (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, etc) If you like Evil Dead, if you enjoy a bit of humor with your horror, if you just like an original fun story. If you like any or all of these things, then this movie is for you. It IS NOT a regular old fashion slasher film. It is something sooooo much greater but to tell you anything will spoil the surprises. IT IS AWESOME. This is a must see film that deserves a much wider audience. This will be a cult hit that will live forever Expand
  95. Oct 5, 2012
    Well, finally a good horror! Good horrors come so infrequently, I always wonder if they're actually good, or they seem disproportionately better because the rest are crap. Well, that is no question with "Cabin" -- simply put, it is a very good horror film. It has a great screenplay and it actually works with tons of horror film stereotypes which make it even better. It is actually quiteWell, finally a good horror! Good horrors come so infrequently, I always wonder if they're actually good, or they seem disproportionately better because the rest are crap. Well, that is no question with "Cabin" -- simply put, it is a very good horror film. It has a great screenplay and it actually works with tons of horror film stereotypes which make it even better. It is actually quite funny at times and it practically satirises the whole genre somewhat. There are quite a few thrills and scares, but ultimately, I did not get frightened too often. That was my biggest criticism of the film, also. On the other hand, it kept me constantly engaged because of the unexpected twists and turns that it would take. So, by no means as scary as "Drag me to hell" can be, but it for sure is as engaging, interesting and funny. Very good stuff! Expand
  96. May 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The final girl, archetypally speaking, needs to be a virgin, somebody cut from the same cloth as Laurie Strode, the last babysitter standing in John Carpenter's Halloween. Since the 1979 thriller served as the blueprint for the modern horror film, Laurie is long-held by aficionados to be the gold standard, as final girls go. Not for nothing, in The Cabin in the Woods, is one of the characters named Sitterson, a moviemaking hack who works in a federal studio which mass-produces, in essence, snuff films, disguised as escapist fun for the general public. It's a franchise that, on the surface, resembles The Evil Dead movies. Sam Raimi, however, was a maverick, working with a different paradigm; he didn't codify women into virgins and whores, so in a sense, The Cabin in the Woods, set-ups aside, is not really paying homage to the trilogy, because the blood from the ritual killings wouldn't know where to flow, since the functionality of the machine that supplies the hieroglyphs with its gory outline, is predicated on filmic stereotypes(the jock, the brain, etc...). Raimi's characters would be too nondescript for the beast, who needs satiation from stock teenage plasma, a byproduct of reductionist storytelling. The beast has no use for a final man. Bruce Campbell always survives. In the film production-within-the-film, the recycled story, during most of its running time, goes according to plan: the virgin's friends die, leaving Dana alone to kill the redneck zombies. Similar to Laurie's fate at the hands of Michael Myers, a fate interrupted by some last-second heroics performed by Dr. Loomis, who repeatedly shoots the unofficial zombie(Michael won't die), Dana's survival is also dependent on man's preeminence as the sex best-equipped for a violent confrontation, out on the dock by the lake, when the final girl meets her match. Such a chivalrous act runs contrary to the notion that the final girl is, more or less, a man in drag, or in other words, a woman made masculine by default; her femininity imposed upon by a body count, therefore making Dana, supposedly, an equal match for the homicidal maniac. While the final girl, as it is written in her backstory, never experienced penetration, in a sexual sense, ironically, she has no problem doing the penetrating, with an arsenal of weapons, which is the case with Laurie, who uses a knitting needle, a wire hanger, and finally, a knife against her attacker. Dana, on the verge of being choked to death, is left with nothing but her bare hands to fend off the zombie. It's a fight whose one-sidedness serves as a tell-tale sign about her authenticity as final girl material. Arguably, Dana is a bigger whore than Jules, since prior to the road trip, back at the dormitory, the narrative's exposition clearly states that the designated good girl experienced a number of sexual encounters with her college professor. On the other hand, the relationship between Jules and Curt is never clearly delineated as being a consummated one. In the audio commentary for Halloween, Jamie Lee Curtis, an ex-cheerleader, admits that she was more like Lynda and Annie than the virginal Laurie. Knowingly, in The Cabin in the Woods, The Director says, "You work with what you have," so like Carpenter's leading lady, Dana is forced to play against type, and gets her hymen back, for the time being, while the cameras roll. But when Marty comes to her rescue, the jig is up, as it pertains to Dana's put-upon innocence, because, as aforementioned, the final girl adopts the masculine role, yet here comes "the fool", doing a woman's work. What the film does is reimagine other horror films as meta-narratives, except in those cases, the characters never discover the truth about the artifice of their world, as Marty does, just like another fool, Truman Burbank in Peter Weir's The Truman Show, a horror film in its own right. As for Halloween, Curtis(like the actress playing Dana), it now seems, was mistakenly chosen to play Laurie. The presumed virgin, in a sequence where she and her girlfriends walk home from school, Laurie reveals her true self, in which both the final girl and Lynda transgress, arriving at the front door of their homes by cutting across their lawns, whereas Annie(trying to be a bad girl like Lynda) stays off the grass, and uses the walkway. Whereas Lynda has sex, Annie is seen only talking about it. When she takes off her blouse, it's because the babysitter spilled butter on it. Michael gets the wrong idea about her. Laurie was impure, because Curtis had sex, just like the real Dana. Curtis should have been the whore(Lynda), the dumb blonde. A smart girl wouldn't throw away her knife away, twice. In Rear Window, Lisa says, "...you'd think we could be a little bit happy the poor woman is alive and well." When Dana escapes the diegesis, unlike Raymond Burr in the Hitchc*ck film, she gets her revenge not on the voyeur, but the film itself. Expand
  97. May 26, 2013
    I am not sure it is because I watch films with an analytic eye, but this film felt like a mishmash of films which although not necessarily masterpieces themselves, however made a huge impact back in their day: The Cube, Truman Show, Scream. And if it had not been for the all hell breaks loose scene I would have been really wondering what the big fuss about this film was all about.
  98. Apr 17, 2012
    It appears to be a familiar horror trope: a group of college students plans to spend a wild weekend in the titular location. The new angle is there from the beginning. As they're dispatched (without much originality or brutality), the bigger picture emerges. The high concept is cool, but the execution is medium and the payoff is low. It's more of a sci-fi teaser than a suspenseful orIt appears to be a familiar horror trope: a group of college students plans to spend a wild weekend in the titular location. The new angle is there from the beginning. As they're dispatched (without much originality or brutality), the bigger picture emerges. The high concept is cool, but the execution is medium and the payoff is low. It's more of a sci-fi teaser than a suspenseful or shocking film. Overall, the creators are impressed with their own cleverness, but donâ Expand
  99. Nov 6, 2013
    A horror-comedy that doesn't exactly do horror or comedy all that well. It's definitely a better comedy than it is a horror movie. There are some laugh-out-loud moments here, just not enough of them. It's not quite a spoof, but it definitely pokes fun at the horror movie genre. As far as horror goes this movie isn't scary at all. It's cool to see all of the different monsters and theA horror-comedy that doesn't exactly do horror or comedy all that well. It's definitely a better comedy than it is a horror movie. There are some laugh-out-loud moments here, just not enough of them. It's not quite a spoof, but it definitely pokes fun at the horror movie genre. As far as horror goes this movie isn't scary at all. It's cool to see all of the different monsters and the bloody, gore-filled moments, but there's never a sense of fear. The movie is made decent by a great plot though.

There's a great sense of mystery to the whole thing. While watching this movie I found myself asking who were these people controlling the events? Why were they doing it? Every little reveal is a treat and that's what kept me watching. It actually makes the movie somewhat worth watching for horror buffs. In the end though some funny moments and a great plot can't hold together a horror-comedy that lacks any sort of tension or terror. There are some good things about it, and it may be worth watching as a disposable thrill, but as someone who was hopping to be scared I'm disappointed.
  100. Apr 13, 2012
    While it took a great deal to finally get it on the big screen, "The Cabin in the Woods" is well-worth the enduring wait. Although, it's probably better if I don't say too much; it's deliciously practial joke, with a lasting punch of twist and turns, and a capricious finale that is as shocking as it is unexpected. It's a booby trap that has its claws ready for prey, you make think you mayWhile it took a great deal to finally get it on the big screen, "The Cabin in the Woods" is well-worth the enduring wait. Although, it's probably better if I don't say too much; it's deliciously practial joke, with a lasting punch of twist and turns, and a capricious finale that is as shocking as it is unexpected. It's a booby trap that has its claws ready for prey, you make think you may know where it lies, having made a few passes by its grasps in the tall, unknown grass, but before you know it, you have already been brought to the ground, on your knees without knowing how. It's to-the-brim with horror, not just scary in a conventional sense, but frightening from knowing how little you actually do "know." Director/writers Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon take the self-awareness/inside-joke concept that has been tried--and has failed time and time again--and reinvigorate it into a meta-feat of filmmaking that is ghastly, hilarious, and even mysterious--at moments all-at-once--maintaining a solidly slick script throughout. The film is also host to a question mark that remains indelible on the bearings of the plot until the very end; it's stress-inducing. As for such a "resolution"; let's just say it isn't your typical "The End" finale. And, If you're thinking it's the creative-but-unfulfilling "I gotcha' ending, you're equally wrong. No, the filmmakers do get the last laugh, but in a way that involves a fledgling character and an overarching story-revealing; audiences are, indeed, eventually guided outside the unascertained 'Woods.' Notwithstanding its subtle satirical tone, feeling a little hinge of "Scream," which breifly reverts to genre cliches and one-liners, 'Cabin' is a genre-recalibrator, whose most impressive quality is perhaps, its transmuting of the very expectations audiences are taught to have from...watching fright flicks. The more one watches it marvel onscreen, the more one learns about the filmmakers--Goodard and Whedon--they are more annoyed by horror movies than they love them; for every flesh-flopping sinew and blood-spraying limb, another token is slotted in the laugh meter. The amalgamative dimension between opposing dichotomies makes for fun-frights. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Apr 16, 2012
    A horror-movie attic sale is, in essence, exactly what Cabin in the Woods is, an attempt to exorcise the genre of its formulaic possession by stuffing the movie full of its most overused and predictable elements - and then dumping them through clever skewering.
  2. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    Apr 14, 2012
    Because the first narrative is so crushingly generic (which turns out to be the point), most of the amusement derives from trying to figure out what the second one is all about. I'm not sure I ever did, but the climactic one-two punch of special-effects chaos and meta-movie chin stroking should have the fanboys trembling with delight.
  3. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Apr 13, 2012
    I've seen a lot of rip-offs of "The Truman Show" and a lot of rip-offs of "Scream." I guess I have to give credit to The Cabin in the Woods for ripping off both at once.