6.5

1. Sep 1, 2014
    This is not a perfect film--but what it does perfectly is keep you on the edge of your seat with an intense story and gripping suspense. Halle Berry will leave you craving for more.
  2. Jun 25, 2013
    While the cast is pretty solid, Berry is a rather disappointing lead and Eklund, who plays the film's villain, failed to be a satisfying performance as well. The plot was also incredibly predictable at times as well, I often called what would happen next several minutes before it happened. The ending was also rather disappointing and made little sense. That being said, I still enjoyed TheWhile the cast is pretty solid, Berry is a rather disappointing lead and Eklund, who plays the film's villain, failed to be a satisfying performance as well. The plot was also incredibly predictable at times as well, I often called what would happen next several minutes before it happened. The ending was also rather disappointing and made little sense. That being said, I still enjoyed The Call quite a bit. It was interesting and entertaining, I gotta give it that. It's worth giving a shot. Expand
  3. Jun 7, 2013
    The first two thirds of this film is a strong 7, but the final third brings this film down to a 6. Still I would recommend watching the film for strong performances.
  4. Mar 17, 2013
    Remember movies like "House at the End of the Street" or "Gone", which lacked in character development, acting, and believable tone? Remember their misguided and incoherent endings that lacked any wit? Well, i'd say that "The Call" has much more wit and believability. It suffers from a lot of important plot elements that could have been added and maybe the supporting characters could haveRemember movies like "House at the End of the Street" or "Gone", which lacked in character development, acting, and believable tone? Remember their misguided and incoherent endings that lacked any wit? Well, i'd say that "The Call" has much more wit and believability. It suffers from a lot of important plot elements that could have been added and maybe the supporting characters could have been put to better use, but this film is a treat in a genre that has recently had a lot of repetitive and lazy flicks. Expand
  5. Sep 2, 2013
    Despite a haircut that makes it look like some kind of small animal died on her head, Halle Berry is excellent in The Call, a tense thriller that was a genuine surprise, a smartly written and performed film. When Jordan (Berry) is responsible for the death of a young girl, she quits work as an emergency call operator but when another girl, Casey (Abigail Breslin) is taken she finds herselfDespite a haircut that makes it look like some kind of small animal died on her head, Halle Berry is excellent in The Call, a tense thriller that was a genuine surprise, a smartly written and performed film. When Jordan (Berry) is responsible for the death of a young girl, she quits work as an emergency call operator but when another girl, Casey (Abigail Breslin) is taken she finds herself back in the chair trying to save her from her captor. The Call is a pulse pounding film as it playfully subverts horror conventions to create a thriller so tense that you may well feel your heart beating in your chest. Grounded by an excellent performance by Berry as the good natured but self conscious Jordan, everything in the film feels real adding a new level to the action as Breslin's Casey gets closer to her destination and her expected demise. The usual diversions are to be expected and an odd and slightly pointless cameo by Michael Imperioli slows the film down but all in all its a film with an interesting premise, two great central performances and an ability to play with the viewers head. The only real downside is the film's villain, he lacks the charisma of other horror villains and while the tension and terror is real, the ending is written on the walls from the beginning and it takes the adventure out of an otherwise great film. It's not a bad film, it's fun, clever and creepy but it doesn't really push boundaries in its conclusion so much as nudge them, hoping they will fall over on their own. Expand
  6. Nov 13, 2014
    "The Call" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

The Good: I typically loathe Halle Berry as an actress, but she was solid here. A gimmicky high-concept film, but for three quarters of the film it is very well done and keeps your interest. Despite the simplistic nature of the premise and plot, it is initially a fairly gripping tale. The Bad: ... then it degenerates into something else
    "The Call" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

The Bad: ... then it degenerates into something else entirely. Once Berry leaves the call center, the film takes a nose dive. After coasting along for an hour, the last thirty minutes are pretty standard fare ... and not overly good standard fare at that. The movie's villain, once fully revealed and explained, wasn't all that interesting.
  7. Mar 15, 2013
    Once you get past the unattractive Harpo Marx hairdo sported by Halle Berry in “The Call” the first 80 minutes of this 98 film presents an interesting thriller before it becomes a cliche of previous thrillers. At that point it falls apart leaving more questions than answers but you really don’t want to waste time trying to figure out what just happened.

The screenplay by Richard

The screenplay by Richard D’Ovidio sets up the story of 911 star operator Jordan (Halle Berry) who makes a mistake and feels she is responsible for the death of a young kidnapped victim. Instead of continuing as an operator she now trains newcomers to the 911 center, known as ‘The Hive’ due to all the buzzing continuously going on of dispatchers answering phones with “911, what is your emergency?” and then following through to help solve them all from attempted suicides to a bat flying around in someone’s house. Jordan has a handsome police officer boyfriend, Paul Phillips, (Morris Chestnut) and with the help of some pills seems to have recovered from her previous experience only to once again be put in the same position. One of things she keeps telling the trainees is to never make promises to people on the other end of the line.

Casey Wilson (Abigail Breslin) has been kidnapped in a mall garage by Michael Foster (Michael Eklund) who carries on in the Norman Bates, Hannibal Lecter and/or “Buffalo Bill” disturbed mode of killer. He puts her in the trunk of his car and using a cell phone, (What did thrillers use before cell phones?), she calls 911 and when the operator seems to be fumbling Jordan takes over. In most thrillers logic has to be parked at the door before the movie starts and this is no different but the various ways in which Jordan advises Casey and the sadistic actions of Michael as he travels Los Angeles highways and byways makes for gripping times in the film before it takes a wrong turn and makes the women action heroines.

Berry does her usual efficient job while Breslin takes a huge step into being ready for adult roles Eklund goes from a serious, sadistic killer to, at times, the script making him an object of ridicule. Michael Imperioli as an innocent victim brings an element of surprise as does Jose Zuniga. The direction by Brad Anderson is more or less pedestrian while the music by John Debney plays with the emotions.

“The Call” is rated R with gratuitous violence, sex and language but being a good thriller the first 80 minutes before going off the tracks and falling into the mundane.
  8. Apr 6, 2014
    Generally a somewhat thriller film "The Call" never dies down on It's plot and acting but It does on the actual story as well as violence. You may fine it as a stripped down version of "Maniac" comparing It's similar content. Nevertheless this film kept me watching, and I'm sure you will too.
  9. Mar 18, 2013
    I feel like I wasted my time watching this movie since it was already unpopular. Halle Berry had a bad performance and scenes just go down in history forgettable. It wasn't total failure but it could have and should have been more than it was.
  10. Mar 15, 2013
    Hallie Berry shows her concerned side in this strange but interesting suspense fest. It sure is great with many clever ideas thrown out as Berry does her job. It just ends in such a weird note that while the credits rolled I decided to bump this rating down a notch. If you missed the last 30 minutes of the movie it gets an 8 otherwise its a 6 if you stayed and watched the whole thing. WhyHallie Berry shows her concerned side in this strange but interesting suspense fest. It sure is great with many clever ideas thrown out as Berry does her job. It just ends in such a weird note that while the credits rolled I decided to bump this rating down a notch. If you missed the last 30 minutes of the movie it gets an 8 otherwise its a 6 if you stayed and watched the whole thing. Why did the director do this I am so mad at him. So good and then, uuugh. Expand
  11. Mar 27, 2015
    6 heading to 5 just because of one thing: the ending. This movie, at least for me, its worth 7 or 8, but the ending, the useless, nonsense ending, almost destroys all the work and, lets call "progress", that was built before it. Why didn't they just finished the traditional way where they escape and call for help? I don't know; but sometimes you just have accept it the way it is: sh*t happens.
  12. May 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This has a good premise on how 911 operators work. The first act sets up nicely, the second act goes smoothly and the final act jumps the shark. Once you know the antagonist's motive it becomes ludicrous that it become an episode of Criminal Minds.

Brad Anderson is a good director, who did The Machinist and Transsiberian which were good thrillers; it's a shame he had to work with a script that doesn't know how to have a proper finale.

Halle Berry doesn't even call the cops and instead goes vigilante on us. Once you think she manages to rescue the girl, the captive sugget to have the guy tied to a chair and lock him inside the hidden cellar. Sudden it has turned into a Hostel wannabe. This final act and ending ruined what could of been a tense thriller instead it becomes a 90-minute disappointed that doesn't give you a feeling of satisfaction.
  13. Sep 26, 2013
    If this was not the end yet, I would say that it stands out from the average, but it's unfortunately only one of many, and did not start badly, but then the ending
  14. Apr 29, 2013
    The first two acts of this film are great. It is intense, suspenseful and emotional. All the performances are good and it is very well paced. The problem comes when the third act starts. It turns from a twisted thriller into a dumb generic "Silence of the Lambs" ripoff. I would recommend watching the movie and walking out an hour in.
  15. Apr 10, 2013
    The Call, a decent movie, nothing to write home to mom about, but enough thrills to keep me interested and engaged. I have to admit after viewing this movie I have many questions. Questions about the sister, the wife, etc. I would tend to think Halle Berry is the only reason this movie attracts viewers. I also can really respect the brief glimpse of the life of a 911 emergencyThe Call, a decent movie, nothing to write home to mom about, but enough thrills to keep me interested and engaged. I have to admit after viewing this movie I have many questions. Questions about the sister, the wife, etc. I would tend to think Halle Berry is the only reason this movie attracts viewers. I also can really respect the brief glimpse of the life of a 911 emergency dispatcher and how critical their jobs are. Expand
  16. Sep 2, 2013
    It was a good and exciting movie up until the last half hour where a 911 operator turns into high class detective discovering the location of the kidnapper. No cell signal where there was one in a previous scene, no cops at the location which they knew and was the only lead they had. They were there, but then left just before ms. 911 shows up and solves everything in 5 minutes flat. Oh andIt was a good and exciting movie up until the last half hour where a 911 operator turns into high class detective discovering the location of the kidnapper. No cell signal where there was one in a previous scene, no cops at the location which they knew and was the only lead they had. They were there, but then left just before ms. 911 shows up and solves everything in 5 minutes flat. Oh and the last scene makes NO sense at all. Hal Berry is great, but the ending leaves you staring at the credits while you shake your head and wonder why the writers decided that was the best way to go out. Still giving it a 5 for everything up until the end. Don't watch this one people, you'll be disappointed... Expand
  17. Jun 29, 2013
    Way to much of using a stupid tricks to given some shock? Not at all but no gut. If the film want to press the audience into corner just like Silence of The Lambs. It's a shame. You have to work harder and more original stuff that make sense please. While watching this film. I have a lot of questions that lead to unreliable plot.

1. Reviewed by: Trevor Johnston
    Sep 18, 2013
    Yet just when the movie has us in its grasp, the script falls to pieces and turns into a crass female-in-peril button-pusher whose shameless psycho-killer clichés insult the intelligence.
  2. Reviewed by: Leah Churner
    Mar 20, 2013
    A pastiche of classic plot devices scrounged from "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three," "The Conversation," "Blue Velvet," and dozens of other movies, the story often feels familiar, but director Anderson (The Machinist) has a such a flair for suspense that even the most jaded viewers will find themselves in a sweat.
  3. Reviewed by: Chris Packham
    Mar 19, 2013
    The middle third of the film comprises the phone call, a tight 40 minutes.