2.7

1. Mar 9, 2012
    [Reviewing because of The Lorax] The Cat in the Hat is crap. It ruins every aspect of the beloved book, and is very annoying. The only reason this movie is not a 0 is because of Mike Myers' jokes.
  2. Feb 19, 2011
    This may seem like a kids movie but I was surprised with the amount of mature humor in the movie, and the story is stupid, and the characters are terrible, this is a movie you want to avoid.
  3. Mar 1, 2012
    I've been watching the same "Cat in the Hat" over a million times and I hated the film so much. I don't know how come this is a PG-rated of mature content for fans of Tom and Jerry and Scooby-Doo. But if you ever want to see The Cat in the Hat, I suggest you watch the original TV animated classic or just read to the kids for the classic book that I truly liked. The Grinch was half-good,I've been watching the same "Cat in the Hat" over a million times and I hated the film so much. I don't know how come this is a PG-rated of mature content for fans of Tom and Jerry and Scooby-Doo. But if you ever want to see The Cat in the Hat, I suggest you watch the original TV animated classic or just read to the kids for the classic book that I truly liked. The Grinch was half-good, Horton Hears a Who! was my favorite and hopefully, I wish they could make a movie on Green Eggs and Ham and Hop on Pop! But "The Cat in the Hat" is rated A for awful and D as in died of family entertainment. Expand
  4. Aug 2, 2013
    Bo Welch never directed a film before in his life, and will never direct again because this film killed his directing career before it really started. If you're going to make a Dr. Seuss film, Hollywood, at least make the message clear and the visual style resemble the book. That's the LEAST you can do, AND GET A REAL DIRECTOR, NOT A PRODUCTION DESIGNER!!!!

And second, DON'T EXTEND THE

And second, DON'T EXTEND THE PLOT OF THE MOVIE. STICK TO THE CENTRE OF WHAT MADE THE ORIGINAL CAT IN THE HAT BOOK GREAT: GREAT DRAWINGS, GREAT MESSAGE THAT RULE BREAKING IS OKAY AS LONG AS IT NEVER GOES TOO FAR, MODERATE IT. KEEP THE MESSAGE FOCUSED AND CLEAR IF YOU'RE DEMANDING A LONGER MOVIE. DON'T WRITE PENIS INNUENDO JOKES INTO THE FILM. THAT'S NOT KIDS STUFF.

If you want to see a GOOD Dr. Seuss film, see Horton Hears A Who.
  5. May 30, 2011
    This is one of the worst films I have ever seen. I would go as far as saying that I actually hate it. It is contemptuous of it's audience, inappropriate and crude. Any parent who allows their child to watch this should be locked up.
  6. Aug 9, 2011
    The worst thing Mike Myers has ever done. This **** is **** messed up I want to **** **** up every **** who was involved in this **** What **** **** would destroy such a **** good Seuss tale? What's the next? The ****in **** Lorax?!
  7. Nov 13, 2011
    The set direction in this feature looks lively and pretty accurate to bring the world of Dr.Seuss' The Cat in the Hat come to life, while everything else falls completely flat with excruciating execution and irritating acting. The Cat in the Hat was one of the worst kids films I have even seen with crude humour that only had a couple of joke that were funny, but not in a film based on aThe set direction in this feature looks lively and pretty accurate to bring the world of Dr.Seuss' The Cat in the Hat come to life, while everything else falls completely flat with excruciating execution and irritating acting. The Cat in the Hat was one of the worst kids films I have even seen with crude humour that only had a couple of joke that were funny, but not in a film based on a Dr.Seuss creation. Sometimes I wonder who had chosen Mike Myers to play as the Cat. He didn't portray as Dr.Seuss' iconic character through my eyes and was more like himself in a cat costume. The Cat in the Hat becoming a full feature film totally blows, you might as well read the original book that everyone knows. Expand
  8. Mar 8, 2014
    The film is an utterly dull and disappointing adaptation of the book. The themes are too mature for kids, the dialogue was crap, and it really was an abomination.
  9. Nov 15, 2012
    This next exploitation of Dr. Seuss' work may be even worse than the first- and that's saying something.
  10. Apr 22, 2013
    I can't put it any other way, this movie just plain sucks. I mean who openly advertises during a movie? That's not funny, I mean other people who advertise products in a movie have those ads hidden, like a Coke sign on a grocery shop. And Mike Meyers, really? I expected more from you. Racist, sexist, and cliche jokes throughout a movie does not make this funny, it just makes like FamilyI can't put it any other way, this movie just plain sucks. I mean who openly advertises during a movie? That's not funny, I mean other people who advertise products in a movie have those ads hidden, like a Coke sign on a grocery shop. And Mike Meyers, really? I expected more from you. Racist, sexist, and cliche jokes throughout a movie does not make this funny, it just makes like Family Guy. For a second thought, why was Alec Baldwin the evil guy in this movie? He's usually this warmhearted person who usually helps out the good guy. The only way he ties into this movie as the evil neighbor is the fact that he's in love with the children's mom. The only reason this score isn't a flat out 0 is because there was one funny joke. One! 1/10 Expand
  11. Sep 7, 2014
    I have a guilty pleasure for this movie. Though it's a deplorable film overall and slander to Dr. Seuss' legacy, I can't help but laugh hysterically at the movie's backwardness. It drives me to tears (both in sadness and hilarity) that Universal green-lighted this script! Who in there right mind would include sexual innuendos, references to vulgar language, and flagrant advertising in aI have a guilty pleasure for this movie. Though it's a deplorable film overall and slander to Dr. Seuss' legacy, I can't help but laugh hysterically at the movie's backwardness. It drives me to tears (both in sadness and hilarity) that Universal green-lighted this script! Who in there right mind would include sexual innuendos, references to vulgar language, and flagrant advertising in a Dr. Seuss film? Don't show this film to kids; it's borderline PG-13. However if you can get this dirt cheap (less than $5, but that's still asking a lot), it's good fun to berate this film with friends. Expand
  12. Oct 13, 2013
    huh???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  13. Nov 6, 2013
    This movie made me cry as a kid. This movie really, really sucked. I hope I never see this movie again. What were the producers thinking? Why would Dr. Seuss allow this garbage into the works? WHY???
  14. Dec 29, 2013
    THE worst Dr. Seuss adaption I have ever seen in my life. Thanks Universal for ruining a classic beloved character. The story line was beyond awful and made no sense. Mike Myers was creepy and the kids were just obnoxious. Probably the worst thing I've ever seen and am forever disgraced for doing so.
  15. Sep 14, 2014
    This movie is an abomination, pure and simple. From the dirty references (The scene with the Cat, and the mom's picture anyone?), to the trashing of the original plot, it's obvious this project was doomed from the start.

Overwhelming dislike - based on 37 Critics

1. Comes scarily close to being the most unendurable Hollywood creation of the last dozen years.
  2. Such a remarkable rift between its charming source material and its heinous cinematic realization that the producers may as well have skipped the hassle of securing licensing rights and simply called this mess Mike Myers: A--hole in Fur.
  3. Someone (Myers?) came up with the bright idea of turning the Cat in the Hat into the worst Vegas nightclub spritzer of 1958. He's become a furry version of Rip Taylor: a walking, talking vaudeville idiot box.