The Cat in the Hat

2.9

1. TomM.
    Dec 16, 2003
    The popcorn i ate during this movie tasted like dirt, last time i checked popcorn was supposed to taste good. After the movie i went to the concession stand and beat the crap out of the helpless teenager who was running the cash register.
  2. Bent.
    Nov 26, 2003
    Aw, come on, see the enjoyment of fun for once in your lives! I went to see this movie, and I thought it was hilarious. Think of it! A fire extinguisher and hot dog weenys to make cupcakes! Ha ha ha!!! Oh, that was a laugh riot! And Thing 2 also prefers "Thing A", "Thing King", "Chocolate Thun-da", or just "Ben". That was hilarious! I don't see why I gave this movie a 10, I Aw, come on, see the enjoyment of fun for once in your lives! I went to see this movie, and I thought it was hilarious. Think of it! A fire extinguisher and hot dog weenys to make cupcakes! Ha ha ha!!! Oh, that was a laugh riot! And Thing 2 also prefers "Thing A", "Thing King", "Chocolate Thun-da", or just "Ben". That was hilarious! I don't see why I gave this movie a 10, I should've given it 999,999,999!!!!! Expand
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    Absolutely excellent myself and my daughter loved it. I really can't understand why people think it is 'too mature' it's actually extremely tame most pop songs and videos have far worse in them!
  4. Jan 17, 2015
    Most underrated movie of all time. I don't get why all the critics hated this. I thought this movie was awesome. Mike Myers did a great job playing the cat! The whole movie was "enormously funny" like it said on the DVD case. It has great storyline, cast, characters, and jokes. This movie is fun for the whole family, and I recommend you ignore the critics and watch it.
  5. Mr.wiggles
    Jan 4, 2004
    I think the movie was good and any one who says different is probaly someone that did not see the movie.
  6. KathleenF.
    Apr 14, 2004
    This film is adorable! I seems funny to me that every time the critics hate a film, it happens to be a film I really like.
  7. MicahI.
    Nov 22, 2003
    This movie had some very crude but funny jokes. Parents probably the Grinch is better cause it is more suitible for children. I promise you kids maybe even teens will like the Cat in the Hat more than Grinch.
  8. Rizzo
    Sep 29, 2004
    I ADORED THIS MOVIE! Myers was at his absolute best and his creation of the cat was adorable! The cute, i think it was a liverpool accent, melted my heart and i was in stitches the whole time! Definatly one i'm going to buy on DVD.10 out of 10!!
  9. BunifaL.
    Nov 21, 2003
    Instant classic!
  10. JoeB.
    Nov 22, 2003
    This movie isn't as bad as the critics make it seem. They don't know what they're talking about and don't enjoy movies for fun. The Cat in the Hat is pure fun. It reminded me of childhood fairytales and Mike Myers was a laugh riot. Some of the audience even laughed out loud on parts of it. You better believe I'll catch this one again; maybe next time with my kids. This movie isn't as bad as the critics make it seem. They don't know what they're talking about and don't enjoy movies for fun. The Cat in the Hat is pure fun. It reminded me of childhood fairytales and Mike Myers was a laugh riot. Some of the audience even laughed out loud on parts of it. You better believe I'll catch this one again; maybe next time with my kids. I just hope they keep quiet so I can hear all the talking and noises on the screen. Expand
  11. FrankK.
    Nov 22, 2003
    Don't listen to the critics. This is the best movie ever!!
  12. Feb 26, 2012
    I'm probably going to be cursed for giving this movie a good review, but honestly, I don't care. It's my opinion. My childhood was never full of Dr. Suess-related stuff. Sure I have fond memories of reading "Green Eggs and Ham" and "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish," but I didn't feel like my childhood was getting stabbed in the movie. Sure, some of the material in the movie shouldn'tI'm probably going to be cursed for giving this movie a good review, but honestly, I don't care. It's my opinion. My childhood was never full of Dr. Suess-related stuff. Sure I have fond memories of reading "Green Eggs and Ham" and "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish," but I didn't feel like my childhood was getting stabbed in the movie. Sure, some of the material in the movie shouldn't be shown to kids, but I'm an adult, so I'm fine. And honestly, in 2003, I was more offended by Ang Lee's Hulk movie then this. Expand
  13. Feb 20, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was SO HILARIOUS and if you're one of those psys, think again!
    Best Scene: Tail Cut "Son of a bi***!" I laughed so hard. I was like wtf did I just hear? That was the funniest thing ever put into a kid's movie!
  14. Jan 2, 2012
    This adaptation of the Cat in the Hat isn't very appealing, but its as comical as the book and Mike Myers' sense of humor as a cat is admirable. You would even have to admire the movie's imagination of its comical material. Sure, the adult content wasn't for children under age 8, but at least its on the range of the average rated PG-movie with language and it's not on a PG-13 level.
  15. Oct 16, 2010
    Ignore the critics. I had a great time watching this hilarious movie. the jokes were funny, and the actors were a lot of fun. you people are just being ignorant.
  16. Dec 18, 2011
    I enjoyed this adaption because it is funny and unpredictable. I like it because it is different in a positive way. The jokes make sense to a certain extent.
  17. KarenS
    May 10, 2006
    This movie was great...You people need to lighten up....my kids 7, 11, 13 all enjoyed it. If your young children even got any of the adult humor....then you had already exposed them prior. This movie was mild compared to what your kids see on the Disney Channel Videos....or hear on the radio. I Welcome a Cat in the Hat 2.
  18. Feb 29, 2012
    I don't understand all the negative reviews. This movie was pretty trippy, in a good way. I would have spent money to see it again. Possibly even twice, nay, three times.
  19. Oct 26, 2011
    People gave this movie 0. You know what I say to that? Get a life you criticizing critic bozos! It was funny for kids and adults and until I read these reviews I thought people had brains. If you can't watch this movie without groaning you are a perfectly normal person with great taste. The cat was realistically made and was funny as well. Made the Grinch look more terrible than it reallyPeople gave this movie 0. You know what I say to that? Get a life you criticizing critic bozos! It was funny for kids and adults and until I read these reviews I thought people had brains. If you can't watch this movie without groaning you are a perfectly normal person with great taste. The cat was realistically made and was funny as well. Made the Grinch look more terrible than it really is. Great movie, and if you don't think so, go soak your head. Expand
  20. Mar 1, 2012
    This movie was **** I usually like films that are lower down on the meta critic, but this, this is something else, none of my kids liked it, none of my friends like it, I bet even the people who made it didn't like it.
  21. Feb 3, 2013
    con bromas sin sentido, una calidad de imagen exquisita y una actuación bizarra e hilarante por parte de mike mayers ,the cat in the hat es una divertida película que lamentablemente solo le llegara a cierto tipo de personas
  22. Mar 1, 2012
    cat that's not your tail what holllly s.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  23. Jul 20, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is extremely underrated and misunderstood, and I am going to explain the truth about it in this review. Though it is quite different to the book which it is based on, it is hard to make a very short book into a long film. Also, it is hard to make a non animated version of a Doctor Seuss film. I think this film has become popular to hate, many people I've seen talking about it haven't even explained why they don't like it, they're probably just following popular culture. Sure Doctor Seuss's wife made it clear after this film was made that she hated it, but she was probably fed up after all the Doctor Seuss film adaptations up to that point, this film was probably just the final straw before she banned live action adaptations of Doctor Seuss's book. The acting in this film is good, so is the set design. The villain in it gets his comeuppance, it is funny when the fish says "Oh my cod''. This film adds in interesting subplots, it isn't too long, it has a good soundtrack and it is fun to watch because of it's craziness. Expand
  24. Oct 7, 2015
    Woah, woah, take it easy people! It wasn't THAT bad! Yes, there are subtle innuendoes. They'll go right over kid's heads! Ok, the one where the Cat mentions his car which has a name that's an acronym for s**t was a step too far but the others? Nothing that will prompt questions from your kids. Mike Myers was actually pretty good as the cat in my opinion. He was the best thing about theWoah, woah, take it easy people! It wasn't THAT bad! Yes, there are subtle innuendoes. They'll go right over kid's heads! Ok, the one where the Cat mentions his car which has a name that's an acronym for s**t was a step too far but the others? Nothing that will prompt questions from your kids. Mike Myers was actually pretty good as the cat in my opinion. He was the best thing about the movie! I had a lot of laughs and my biggest complaints were the fact that there were a few SUPER gross scenes, and I found the mother's boss annoying. It's a decent film, unless you think that putting innuendoes in a Dr. Seuss movie is sacrilegious. It really doesn't deserve its 19 metascore. Expand

Overwhelming dislike - based on 37 Critics

1. Comes scarily close to being the most unendurable Hollywood creation of the last dozen years.
  2. Such a remarkable rift between its charming source material and its heinous cinematic realization that the producers may as well have skipped the hassle of securing licensing rights and simply called this mess Mike Myers: A--hole in Fur.
  3. Someone (Myers?) came up with the bright idea of turning the Cat in the Hat into the worst Vegas nightclub spritzer of 1958. He's become a furry version of Rip Taylor: a walking, talking vaudeville idiot box.