7.9

1. Oct 14, 2014
    Central Park Five is documentary based on the true story about a case of rape and assault that occurred in Central Park, New York city. It shows how the police investigation was not completed correctly and how five boys were falsely convicted and sentenced to time in prison. The boys were interviewed and talk about what they went through and how badly they were treated, NYPD was asked to comment and or talk about the case but there was no comment. The fact that the police department had no comment shows that even they knew that the situation was not dealt with in the right way. The documentary does a very good job portraying the time period and what it was like to live in New York during the 1980’s and how racism affected the city. The film is not just an informative movie about the case; it goes into in depth problems that were very prominent during that time and still continue today. It discusses how racism was a contributing factor to the conviction of the boys
    This documentary is very moving and as I learned the stories of the five boys I began to become emotionally attached and feel very empathetic towards them. One aspect of the film that is shown very well is the deception and deceitfulness of the police that are investigating the boys. The interrogators persuade the suspects that they were guilty; they twisted words and coerced the boys into confessing to the crime. The archived police video clips of the boys confessing make it clear that they do not have their stories straight and they have no idea what they are admitting to. Overall I liked the documentary and thought it was very intriguing and it captivated me entirely.
  2. Oct 3, 2013
    "The Central Park Five" serves as a warning about legal incompetence, innocent lives destroyed, and a judicial system vulnerable to manipulation. The documentary details a nightmare scenario for five Harlem teenagers facing hard time, and the condemnation of America for a crime they didn't commit. The production sets the situation immediately, introducing the viewer to NYC in the 1980s, where Wall Street is in the process of rebuilding its reputation, while crack ravages the inner city, creating an explosive racial divide.

The film examines the infamous 1989 Central Park Jogger case, where a young white woman is brutally beaten and raped in New York's Central Park. At the same time, a group of five young black and Latino teenagers were quickly arrested for the crime and imprisoned. Following swift arrests by law enforcement officials, the prosecutors proudly declared the conviction as a step forward in the reclamation of a the city. Despite the lack of concrete evidence, all five are found guilty on multiple charges. Raymond Santana, Yusef Salaam, Antron McCray, Kevin Richardson, and Kharey Wise each spent between six to 13 years in prison, professing their innocence, while maintaining that it was a coerced confession to the crime. However, a chance encounter between the oldest of them and convicted serial rapist Matias Reyes, who years later yields his free admission of sole responsibility for the crime, and the claim is further substantiated with DNA evidence.

The documentary's approach seamlessly blends past and present, re-examines the assault, and walks you through what happened to the teenagers, from their arrest through their exoneration. Burns captures the complexity of history with startling results, yet "The Central Park Five" isn't quite as comprehensive as hoped, and fails to add anything substantively new to the story. Additionally, an element of balance is missing that would have turned a very good documentary into an exceptional one.

"The Central Park Five" presents the facts of the case with clarity, and it is a courageous, revealing look at the often complex and broken legal system in the United States. Unfortunately, there is no avoiding the conclusion presented by historian Craig Steven Wilder: "Rather than tying [the case] up in a bow and thinking that there was something we can take away from it, and that we'll be better people, I think what we really need to realize is that we're not very good people."
  3. Jan 18, 2013
    i am a documental buff. i read a couple reviews of this great investigative piece. it remained so: a sum-up of chronological facts that make up a very powerful story. but the docu lacks broll, images, archive stock... so many images of the iconic 80s are part of the story of these 5 kids and couldve definitely added force and rhythm to this very interesting investigation but... alas, the filmmakers stick to the story as if in a sociology class. great film, anyway. Expand
  4. Dec 9, 2012
    It's an excellent movie in a long line of wrongful-incarceration films. I was pretty floored by the composure of these young guys in the face of the corruption they faced. The prosecutors - who have built careers on these cases - should truly be ashamed of themselves for not pursuing some very obvious exculpatory evidence and for not questioning the "bad facts" that they were confronted with. Hopefully the city and state of NY will be writing some fairly sizable checks to these men in the coming years once the civil case is wrapped up. There has to be a punitive element to such bad behavior. Expand
  5. Dec 2, 2012
    I was fortunate to screen this heartbreaking film with one of the directors and two of the CP 5 - three really excellent people. In lieu of writing a full review, I'd just like to urge everyone who reads this to say only one when when placed into custody - "lawyer." By doing so, it's not like pleading the 5th - no fact-finder or judge is going to presume you're guilty of anything. These kids were absolutely bullied, but we can't assume that our government is run by angels, as Alexis de Tocqueville suggested - we have to protect ourselves. So if you feel you've been wrongly detained - don't say more than that single word - lawyer - until you've had a chance to discuss your situation with your legal representative, whether he or she is someone you or your family finds, or the court appoints to you. This is NOT the same as not cooperating with a police investigation when you're not in custody. But when YOUR freedom is at stake, don't hang yourself with your own words. The admissions by these boys - which were coerced - overwhelmed the jury and directly led to their jail sentences. I'm so sorry it happened that way. Again, when you're Mirandized, listen to the words, close your mouth, and ask for a lawyer. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mick LaSalle
    Dec 13, 2012
    Worth seeing, both for the ways it's timeless and for the ways it encapsulates an era.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Dec 13, 2012
    If there's one thing missing, it's a sense of purposeful, immediate outrage. You can't help but wonder why this film wasn't made 20 years ago, when it could have saved these men some time behind bars.
  3. Reviewed by: Wesley Morris
    Dec 13, 2012
    If the second hour or so isn't as strong as the first, it's because the filmmaking fails to rise to the injustice that's befallen its subjects since their exoneration. It can't, really.