Independent Feature Project | Release Date: August 12, 2005
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 18 Ratings
WATCH NOW
JoelM.Sep 20, 2006
This doc should be required in American schools. More valuable than most what's taught in Social Studies, The Century Of The Self explains not alone why the country is the way it is, but why you are the way you are.
ArchieB.Aug 14, 2005
An extraordinary film. An instant classic.
EdwardC.Feb 7, 2006
Shamefully unique in it's ability to show how our society became the way it is today. Adam Curtis deserves a tv channel of his own. If this isn't worth watching, then nothing is.
NicholasM.Jan 8, 2007
At about the age of 10 I began wondering why is the world like it is, in particular why are we bombarded with advertising and made to feel incomplete. At 24 I took an MBA, which included modules in marketing and psychology and some of the At about the age of 10 I began wondering why is the world like it is, in particular why are we bombarded with advertising and made to feel incomplete. At 24 I took an MBA, which included modules in marketing and psychology and some of the questions were answered. When Century of the Self aired the whole picture came into view and it has confirmed my opinion that you should lead your life the way you want. Reports that appear on television about High Street sales figures in the lead up to Christmas or the New Year, reports about the Property Market etc all fit into the picture Curtis paints - they are propaganda designed to modify your behaviour. If its Freud's Theories that have been used to drive the society we now have, will they be seen in years to come as theories that played a significant role in causing Global Warming? Expand
DouglasS.Aug 13, 2005
Unbelievably informative and satisfying, all 4 hours of it.
AnthonyC.Aug 14, 2005
To my knowledge the finest documentary yet made on they way in which psychology was use by business and goverments to manipulate people. Absolutely essential viewing.
BrianC.Sep 9, 2005
Living life without knowing the information exposed in this film would be tragic.
ThanasisIJun 25, 2007
The most interesting film i have seen the last years. Independent in opinion, illustrates the things as it is. No more brainwashing, animals wake up.
Danny83Jan 26, 2015
If anything is worth watching, this is it. A blunt look at the selfish consumerism of the masses, and how pathetically and easily fooled humans really are. 10/10 but very depressing.
Eva-UnitOneAug 28, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Unbelievable recount of how psychoanalysis was both the spark of a new era of individualism, and its foreshadowing downfall into consumerism's wet dream of comprehensive market research.

This film is the answer to how the 60's died.