8.4

1. BobE.
    Jan 28, 2005
    My choice for the Foreign Film Oscar--the music is stunning and the "chorus" is irresistable!
  2. LeaT.
    Jan 28, 2005
    I am a grammar school principal, and I got a special thrill out of this most charming film. The kids are marvelous, the movie has strong emotional resonance and the music is glorious.
  3. EstebanF.
    Jun 30, 2006
    The Chorus is an awesome movie with nice acting, a great storyline and an awesome soundtrack. Even if the plot is a bit cliché (a very good man makes the lives of delinquent boys better with art), it is still awesome and beautiful. The movie takes places in the '40s, a hard time for the world, and it's greatly recreated, everything, from the clothes to the buildings. The The Chorus is an awesome movie with nice acting, a great storyline and an awesome soundtrack. Even if the plot is a bit cliché (a very good man makes the lives of delinquent boys better with art), it is still awesome and beautiful. The movie takes places in the '40s, a hard time for the world, and it's greatly recreated, everything, from the clothes to the buildings. The soundtrack is wonderful, and the best part is that you hear the songs all the time because it's an essential part of the plot. I don't understand the low ratings by the critics. I give it a 9/10 and I recommend this movie to everyone that has a heart, even a small one. Expand
  4. PatG.
    Jan 23, 2005
    Yes, this film is often predictable, even cliched. But enough characters are engaging that you care about them and want to see how it all turns out. It was worth the two hours and the price of admission. Gallic charm in spite of the weaknesses.
  5. SamJ.
    Jan 28, 2005
    Some critics like Lisa Schwartzbaum who usually gives A plus reviews to nearly everything uses this absolutely endearing and beguiling French film to dump on so she seems able to give a bad review, as she did with "Spanglish." This foreihn language film nominee for Best Picture was a spectacualr hit in France, and partially because of yet another magnificent score by the great Bruno Some critics like Lisa Schwartzbaum who usually gives A plus reviews to nearly everything uses this absolutely endearing and beguiling French film to dump on so she seems able to give a bad review, as she did with "Spanglish." This foreihn language film nominee for Best Picture was a spectacualr hit in France, and partially because of yet another magnificent score by the great Bruno Coulais, who wrote the music to "Himalaya" and "Winged Migration" this audience-pleaser is a winner! Expand
  6. BarrettP.
    Feb 9, 2005
    This was a stunning and beautiful film, It was real, gritty and yet fragant and powerful. I cried and laughed. The haunting eyes of young Morhange/Jean-Baptiste Maunier and his gorgeous voice...as well as the pure joy of little Pepinot. Oh! I want to buy this on DVD to keep forever.
  7. JulsitosC.
    Apr 18, 2005
    An Amelie-esque treat where you're transported to that stereotype Gallic era where life is in perpetual summer.
  8. KathyC.
    Mar 14, 2006
    Like Coach Carter, but for music. It's much better if you watch it in french with subtitles. AMAZING! I loved the music! :)
  9. JamesM.
    Jan 28, 2005
    This is a very special film that was a suprise choice for an Academy Award, but be rest assured a most deserving one. Sure it tugs on the heartstrings, is rather manaipulative and predictable...but so what.........wasn't the highly-celebrated "Cinema Paradiso," Dead Poets Society" and "Good Willing Hunting" the same in that regard? This little film has its heart in the right place, This is a very special film that was a suprise choice for an Academy Award, but be rest assured a most deserving one. Sure it tugs on the heartstrings, is rather manaipulative and predictable...but so what.........wasn't the highly-celebrated "Cinema Paradiso," Dead Poets Society" and "Good Willing Hunting" the same in that regard? This little film has its heart in the right place, and the music is extraordinary. Expand
  10. AndrewS.
    Jan 28, 2005
    Exceptionally done, the picture is inspiring and wonderful to watch. I guess you can say that all the right buttons are pushed.
  11. KentN.
    Oct 22, 2005
    The bittersweet sensibility of Trauffaut; nuanced, unlike it's American counterparts.
  12. katiem.
    Jun 4, 2005
    Great family fare.
  15. HannahX.
    Feb 25, 2006
    It's a great movie! Recomment everyone see it!
  16. SomeoneHere
    Mar 31, 2005
    Just one word: Pepinot!!!
  17. RachelD.
    Jul 19, 2005
    This is a remarkable movie!
  18. EdwardR.
    Mar 13, 2006
    Excellent movie! Don't listen to the critics - I thoroughly enjoyed this film. As an added bonus: if you're studying French (as I am), this is a fantastic aide. I've never understood this much French in my life. I believe it's due to the school children's age and the era in which the film is set (it's not riddled with current slang or expressions).
  19. Jan 27, 2012
    One of my favorite films! Good actors, beautiful music, moving story with heartful characters in a perfectly-depicted after-war France, all is just perfect in this film! One of the few film where music itself is as much of a protagonist of the story as the characters.
  20. Oct 15, 2013
    Christophe Barratier brings us a great masterpiece from French cinema. When I watched this film I was 14 years old and "Les choristes" was my first independent film. Later, I became a good cinephile. "Les choristes", like "La vita bella", is a kind movie that it give spectator a dose of joy and optimism. The score is a song to sensitive, a great score by Bruno Coulais. I don't understandChristophe Barratier brings us a great masterpiece from French cinema. When I watched this film I was 14 years old and "Les choristes" was my first independent film. Later, I became a good cinephile. "Les choristes", like "La vita bella", is a kind movie that it give spectator a dose of joy and optimism. The score is a song to sensitive, a great score by Bruno Coulais. I don't understand why this film has such a low note by experts. Expand

1. A runaway hit in France last year and the country's official Oscar entry, is a well-nigh irresistible film celebrating the redemptive power of music.
  2. An appealing lead performance from its leading man and a wonderfully sentimental, if overly familiar, story line are the chief virtues of this French drama, a huge success in its native country.
  3. Reviewed by: Lisa Nesselson
    No stereotype is left unheralded and no heartstring left untugged in this freely adapted remake of Jean Dreville's mostly forgotten "La cage aux rossignols"