7.4

1. Jan 14, 2011
    Just seen Riddick on DVD. This is an ambitious attempt to create a coherent universe within a 2 hour action film. The criticisms are Riddickulous. It's escapism folks, it's an action film. All those desperately intelligent critiques claiming the plot is difficult to follow, are you joking? Criticisms to be dismissed: that an action film is full or, duh, action; and is light on, duh,Just seen Riddick on DVD. This is an ambitious attempt to create a coherent universe within a 2 hour action film. The criticisms are Riddickulous. It's escapism folks, it's an action film. All those desperately intelligent critiques claiming the plot is difficult to follow, are you joking? Criticisms to be dismissed: that an action film is full or, duh, action; and is light on, duh, character development; and that a modern sci-fi/fantasy story has, duh, taken liberties with scientific principles (in the context of an alternate universe); and lastly that, duh, action film roles are overacted in a hollywood blockbuster. Get over yourselves. It's a highly entertaining action film and it works very well. Expand
  2. Jul 22, 2013
    I love this second movie a master piece in many ways, and cannot understand why it did not have the success it clearly deserves. I see many more Positives then Mixed and Negative ones, but the box office shows clear numbers, so when it was released, people did not like it much it seemed. It is clear this movie had a lot of work put into it, in every little detail if you look closer. TheI love this second movie a master piece in many ways, and cannot understand why it did not have the success it clearly deserves. I see many more Positives then Mixed and Negative ones, but the box office shows clear numbers, so when it was released, people did not like it much it seemed. It is clear this movie had a lot of work put into it, in every little detail if you look closer. The secondary actors is perhaps where people did not appreciate, and perhaps they could have been better chosen, but I love them all the same, especially "Jack" as she makes a very beautiful "ex-merc" and would love to meet her in real life. Do not miss Pitch Black if you are into this type of movie, and also Dark Fury, as well as the upcoming third movie, which took a very long time to be created! Expand
  3. Sep 6, 2013
    Screw critics, this movie is awesome in terms of sci-fi action. Global planet actions,colossal structures, explosions and fights. Though plot is lacking this movie is just a feast to your eyes. Vin Diesel rox!
  4. Apr 15, 2014
    There are many types of SCI fi film, not everyone should be layered like blade runner, I personally loved this film, visually amazing, so many visual references from history. The flow of the movie is well paced and the story draws you in. I honestly could watch it anytime. It really is a movie to put on when you want to chill and forget the real world.
  5. Sep 11, 2011
    Though the Riddick films are so under appreciated (it's a crime) I speak for real si-fi fans when I say that the Riddick series (video games included) is one of the greatest series of its genre.
  6. Oct 9, 2014
    Cheesy sci-fi fun. This sequel definitely takes pride in it's special effects and visual style. It's a good looking film (for the time) that has a lot of unique imagery. You can tell that a lot of time was taken in order to really make this feel like a sci-fi world. Unfortunately that time seems to have taken away from should have been better writing and casting.

The film's plot is

The film's plot is simple, but easy to follow. The only complaint I have is the familiar/predictable elements and the fact that quite a bit of it hangs on the fact that the first movie is required watching. The acting, outside of Diesel and Dench, isn't quite up to snuff either. The female cast in particular is noticeably bad, and seem to have been selected based on looks alone. Some of the dialog can be poor as well.

It's still an enjoyable movie though. Particularly for those who are fans of the Riddick character. It's a very different film the the first movie (Pitch Black), but packs enough exciting action and flawed fun to be worth a look. It might not be one of the smartest or deepest sci-fi movie out there, no matter how hard it tries to be, but it's still a fun movie. One that succeeds thanks to it's strong visuals, it's likable lead in Diesel, and with it's fun action. Plot and acting might not be entirely up to snuff, but it's still worth a watch. Just expect some cheesiness.
  7. Mar 7, 2012
    David Twohy took his solid Pitch Black film and spun it off into... complete and utter crap. With horrendous dialogue and tiny sets that look like they were built by elementary school kids for a school play, you're inclined to think that this is supposed to be a comedic parody of the first film. But no... the film presents the material with the same seriousness as a production of HamletDavid Twohy took his solid Pitch Black film and spun it off into... complete and utter crap. With horrendous dialogue and tiny sets that look like they were built by elementary school kids for a school play, you're inclined to think that this is supposed to be a comedic parody of the first film. But no... the film presents the material with the same seriousness as a production of Hamlet or GlenGarry Glen Ross. Whatever. After slogging your way through one awful "action" set piece after another, the final battle turns out to be a joke where the universe-conquering, death-defying bad guy turns out to be a pathetic wet noodle who crumbles under Riddick's unstoppable awesomeness. Yawn. Expand
  8. Sep 9, 2012
    The Chronicles of Riddick is a decent sci-fi flick. It has an interesting plot, great effects and superb art design. The major problem with this movie is it's lack of length. The Chronicles of Riddick finishes so suddenly that it feels like the narrative is only halfway done. Where's the second half of the movie? That fault aside, The Chronicles of Riddick is superior sci-fi.
  9. Jun 27, 2011
    I was very surprised by the critic reviews on this one. Among B movies, this is as good as it gets! It's also a solid sci-fi action film, and a worthy sequel to Pitch Black. There are a couple odd things here and there that smell of unecessary studio involvement (the unnecessary intro narration and the renaming of Jack to "Kira"), but there's solid acting, brisk pacing, a nice plot andI was very surprised by the critic reviews on this one. Among B movies, this is as good as it gets! It's also a solid sci-fi action film, and a worthy sequel to Pitch Black. There are a couple odd things here and there that smell of unecessary studio involvement (the unnecessary intro narration and the renaming of Jack to "Kira"), but there's solid acting, brisk pacing, a nice plot and a terrific ending. What more could you want without remaking Pitch Black? Expand
  10. Oct 23, 2011
    On my top 10 list of movies. Both myself and my wife LOVE it. Neither of us understand why everyone else on the planet hates on it so much. Characters are interesting, the movie sets are gorgeous, the action ranges from good to great.
  11. Dec 3, 2014
    Just reviewed "Riddick" so thought I would come back and review this. This film is an underrated gem in my opinion. A deep and intelligent story, memorable characters and races, fantastic set design and visuals, lots of exciting set pieces. An interesting universe to hang it all from. Such a shame they went back to making "pitch black" for the third film and threw away all the great workJust reviewed "Riddick" so thought I would come back and review this. This film is an underrated gem in my opinion. A deep and intelligent story, memorable characters and races, fantastic set design and visuals, lots of exciting set pieces. An interesting universe to hang it all from. Such a shame they went back to making "pitch black" for the third film and threw away all the great work they did here. Expand
  12. Feb 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Chronicles of Riddick is a sequel to the 2004 sci-fi film Pitch Black directed by David Twohy with Vin Diesel , Judi Dench and Colm Feore .
    The plot is set five years after the events of the first film . Having escaped mercenaries , Riddick heads on the planet Helion Prime where he finds his old comrade Imam . The latter makes him meet with Aereon race of the Elementals which tells Riddick he is the last of furyani , a race exterminated thirty years ago, and according to a prophecy he would be the only one able to stop evil and save the balance of the universe . It is heading on a fleet of Helion Prime Necromonger , led by Lord Marshal , who submit and convert any planet they encounter , heading for the addition - to , a parallel universe. Riddick 's up to save the day.
    The film stands out a bit ' basic idea was that you had with Pitch Black ; instead groped to survive on a hostile planet teeming with monstrous creatures , Riddick must face a dark menace that threatens to destroy the balance of things, following a line that we can define typical of Star Wars.
    Despite the change , the film is pleasant and manages to entertain the audience with a lot of action scenes and a touch of irony.
    Vin Diesel 's character is the one who steals the show at all from the beginning to the end of the film, although I found other characters if pursued better, could be very interesting .
    The main flaw of this film , however, is that it seeks to explore a vast world (too much for a movie of just 115 minutes) and then certain things are left in half. They tried to do too much but have failed to get the result we were hoping for.
    To conclude I can say that Pitch Black is superior in its simplicity but this sequel The Chronicles of Riddick is not a film to be thrown away , in fact you certainly enjoy .
  13. Sep 6, 2013
    The Chronicles of Riddick fails to deliver on a lot of what made the first one so unique. The sci-fi mixed with horror element from the first one is largely lost as this sequel essentially feels like a darker version of a Star Wars movie and is void of horror vibe. It also seemed like they changed Riddick's character a bit. I'm not knocking the movie for this as it's possible that this wasThe Chronicles of Riddick fails to deliver on a lot of what made the first one so unique. The sci-fi mixed with horror element from the first one is largely lost as this sequel essentially feels like a darker version of a Star Wars movie and is void of horror vibe. It also seemed like they changed Riddick's character a bit. I'm not knocking the movie for this as it's possible that this was just the evolution of his character after the events of the first film but his moral compass was much more ambiguous in Pitch Black. There were also a few areas, most notably some of the scenes on Crematoria, that were just completely and totally ignoring realism. Granted, this is a fiction film so I have suspended my disbelief quite a bit but even some of those scenes were beyond my suspension. For the things they lost, however, there were some definite positives. The plot was more involved and was very well told. I also liked how they tied in the two films. A 5-year gap is a pretty big one but you feel like you didn't miss a thing and that means good planning and writing. Karl Urban and Thandie Newton play decent roles but Alexa Davalos' performance of Kyra steals the show, outside of Vin Diesel being a B.A. that is. The camera absolutely loves her and how she hasn't had more roles in the past decade is beyond me. Overall, I think this film stands alone well and is a really good sequel but they definitely lost part of the charm of the first one. Expand
  14. Jan 3, 2015
    Definitely a good movie! Action, cool characters, smart lines, twists and turns. Visually beautiful, tasteful effects... What else can one hope for? It is good to see "Pitch Black" before this movie, but it isn't terribly necessary. There are little remarks between the movies, which are good for the viewers who enjoy these kind of things (like me). Diesel's act as Riddick is a little moreDefinitely a good movie! Action, cool characters, smart lines, twists and turns. Visually beautiful, tasteful effects... What else can one hope for? It is good to see "Pitch Black" before this movie, but it isn't terribly necessary. There are little remarks between the movies, which are good for the viewers who enjoy these kind of things (like me). Diesel's act as Riddick is a little more macho than in "Pitch Black", but it still doesn't disturb the rest of the movie. He also gets beaten up some, which evens things out. Karl Urban great in his role as Lord Vaako. Expand
  15. Sep 19, 2013
    Watching it for the second time. First one I didn't like it much, the second one either. All of the stuff happening seems pretty stupid to me. The characters seem pretty bland. Necromongers do not look like the race capable of destoying the whole universe, they are just some dudes in helmets, they do not scare, they do not look convincing! There are some good points Riddick himself is aWatching it for the second time. First one I didn't like it much, the second one either. All of the stuff happening seems pretty stupid to me. The characters seem pretty bland. Necromongers do not look like the race capable of destoying the whole universe, they are just some dudes in helmets, they do not scare, they do not look convincing! There are some good points Riddick himself is a pretty cool character, Vin Diesel is cool too, the visual design/computer animation/scenery are very beautiful and the ending is a bit unexpected but logical (though he whole story is weak). For me this is a step back from Pitch Black, which was more like a Sci-Fi horror in vein of Alien and this is some kind of Sci-Fi fantasy or adventure or action (by the way the battle scenes seem pretty lame). Expand
  16. May 20, 2013
    Riddick feels all but the same way every video game adaptation feels, action packed without a point but to copy the video game. To add on to that, it makes the sci-fi thriller Pitch Black look silly.
  17. Dec 27, 2012
    **** the critics. This was a great movie. I've always loved the Riddick movies and I'm playing the games too. Why people downrate this is beyond me. What do they expect? A movie with a warm filter on the lense with a bunch of poor suffering souls, sitting around and talking about the dramas of their lives in some kind of sh*tty inner city apartment, while the rain buckets down outside and**** the critics. This was a great movie. I've always loved the Riddick movies and I'm playing the games too. Why people downrate this is beyond me. What do they expect? A movie with a warm filter on the lense with a bunch of poor suffering souls, sitting around and talking about the dramas of their lives in some kind of sh*tty inner city apartment, while the rain buckets down outside and fills their pots and from the holes in the roof. Perhaps an aweful movie about a Californian wine tour with 2 whiny, middle aged men?

I REALLY wish they'd make the next Riddick movie! The concept is awesome, the story is awesome and the acting is great.
  18. Jul 31, 2014
    Couldn't have asked for a more perfect sequel to Pitch Black! It gave me all of the Riddick fight scenes that I was so desperately craving from the first film but also takes time to explore the lore of the world as well!
  19. May 16, 2013
    you dont listen to those critics screw them this is my third favorite movie maybe 4th its amazing i watch and play the riddick games and i cant wait for the third to come out
  20. Oct 9, 2013
  21. Apr 20, 2014
    critics, you suck. Just saying, you know... this is not ok. This movie is completely awesome! Everything in it amazes me! Riddick is so bad ass! And I just... wow. This critics really need to think better.
  22. Nov 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Chronicles of Riddick: 6 out of 10: This movie reminded me very much of Dune. Not because of the opulent sets and costumes but simply because for the first 30 minutes or so I had absolutely no idea what was going on.

Now keep in mind I saw and loved Pitch Black (And if there was any justice in Hollywood Rahda Mitchell would be getting 20 million dollar paychecks and Van Diesel would be doing walk on roles in Colin Farrell vehicles) and I saw that 30-minute anime that was supposed to fill in the plot (needless to say it doesn't).

Dune was criticized for a ponderous 15 minute opening narration and while I wouldn't inflict that on any movie some idea of what is going on was clearly in order. The movie quickly hits a low point with seizure inducing battle flashes and a little girl melting Riddick's heart in a scene right out of the Grinch Stole Christmas. But as soon as I was reaching for the eject button the movie strangely morph's into Alien 3 (or Star Trek VI the Undiscovered Country take your pick.)

See Riddick was going to save Jack the twelve year old girl who pretended to be a boy and now looks and dresses like a supermodel because she is safely located in an otherwise all male prison. Yeah that one kind of lost me too. However the action scenes pick up again and enough back story drifts in so that the biblical/Shakespearian plot comes into focus.

You see Riddick was born on a planet called Kryptonite, and then he was placed in the reeds to escape the pharaoh or was it King Herod…. anyway the guy married to Lady Mac Beth. No! Not the one with the Billy Ray Cyrus mullet. He was Lady Mac Beth's lover Lancelot. See clear as day.

Sure the bad guy wears that mask from Amadeus and his troops look like Gwar started a dance troop. But many of the sets and costumes carry the day. The special effects are very well done (with the possible exception of the CGI Hellhounds) and the music certainly could have been worse.

The basic problem is the three main characters left over from Pitch Black have gotten the warm and fuzzies. I've explained supermodel Jack above and I understand why the Imam character had to be significantly toned down post 9/11 but why change Riddick?

He hugs puppies (okay Hellhounds) and children. All the appeal of the character from the first movie seems to be missing. He still talks the talk but the walk is very different. Looks like someone lost a pair.

1. This is a movie so devoted to metal that it couldn't care less about the flesh it destroys.
    There's nothing here you haven't seen before, especially if you own a PlayStation.
  3. An overblown hodgepodge of volcano-baked desertscapes, Egyptoid-gone-baroque architecture, and gladiator-geared storm troopers with goofy headpieces, The Chronicles of Riddick bears no resemblance to the movie that spawned its namesake.