7.4

1. Sep 11, 2011
    Though the Riddick films are so under appreciated (it's a crime) I speak for real si-fi fans when I say that the Riddick series (video games included) is one of the greatest series of its genre.
  2. Jan 14, 2011
    Just seen Riddick on DVD. This is an ambitious attempt to create a coherent universe within a 2 hour action film. The criticisms are Riddickulous. It's escapism folks, it's an action film. All those desperately intelligent critiques claiming the plot is difficult to follow, are you joking? Criticisms to be dismissed: that an action film is full or, duh, action; and is light on, duh, character development; and that a modern sci-fi/fantasy story has, duh, taken liberties with scientific principles (in the context of an alternate universe); and lastly that, duh, action film roles are overacted in a hollywood blockbuster. Get over yourselves. It's a highly entertaining action film and it works very well. Expand
  3. Sep 9, 2012
    The Chronicles of Riddick is a decent sci-fi flick. It has an interesting plot, great effects and superb art design. The major problem with this movie is it's lack of length. The Chronicles of Riddick finishes so suddenly that it feels like the narrative is only halfway done. Where's the second half of the movie? That fault aside, The Chronicles of Riddick is superior sci-fi.
  4. Jun 27, 2011
    I was very surprised by the critic reviews on this one. Among B movies, this is as good as it gets! It's also a solid sci-fi action film, and a worthy sequel to Pitch Black. There are a couple odd things here and there that smell of unecessary studio involvement (the unnecessary intro narration and the renaming of Jack to "Kira"), but there's solid acting, brisk pacing, a nice plot and a terrific ending. What more could you want without remaking Pitch Black? Expand
  5. Oct 23, 2011
    On my top 10 list of movies. Both myself and my wife LOVE it. Neither of us understand why everyone else on the planet hates on it so much. Characters are interesting, the movie sets are gorgeous, the action ranges from good to great.
  6. Feb 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Chronicles of Riddick is a sequel to the 2004 sci-fi film Pitch Black directed by David Twohy with Vin Diesel , Judi Dench and Colm Feore .
    The plot is set five years after the events of the first film . Having escaped mercenaries , Riddick heads on the planet Helion Prime where he finds his old comrade Imam . The latter makes him meet with Aereon race of the Elementals which tells Riddick he is the last of furyani , a race exterminated thirty years ago, and according to a prophecy he would be the only one able to stop evil and save the balance of the universe . It is heading on a fleet of Helion Prime Necromonger , led by Lord Marshal , who submit and convert any planet they encounter , heading for the addition - to , a parallel universe. Riddick 's up to save the day.
    The film stands out a bit ' basic idea was that you had with Pitch Black ; instead groped to survive on a hostile planet teeming with monstrous creatures , Riddick must face a dark menace that threatens to destroy the balance of things, following a line that we can define typical of Star Wars.
    Despite the change , the film is pleasant and manages to entertain the audience with a lot of action scenes and a touch of irony.
    Vin Diesel 's character is the one who steals the show at all from the beginning to the end of the film, although I found other characters if pursued better, could be very interesting .
    The main flaw of this film , however, is that it seeks to explore a vast world (too much for a movie of just 115 minutes) and then certain things are left in half. They tried to do too much but have failed to get the result we were hoping for.
    To conclude I can say that Pitch Black is superior in its simplicity but this sequel The Chronicles of Riddick is not a film to be thrown away , in fact you certainly enjoy .
  7. Sep 6, 2013
    The Chronicles of Riddick fails to deliver on a lot of what made the first one so unique. The sci-fi mixed with horror element from the first one is largely lost as this sequel essentially feels like a darker version of a Star Wars movie and is void of horror vibe. It also seemed like they changed Riddick's character a bit. I'm not knocking the movie for this as it's possible that this was just the evolution of his character after the events of the first film but his moral compass was much more ambiguous in Pitch Black. There were also a few areas, most notably some of the scenes on Crematoria, that were just completely and totally ignoring realism. Granted, this is a fiction film so I have suspended my disbelief quite a bit but even some of those scenes were beyond my suspension. For the things they lost, however, there were some definite positives. The plot was more involved and was very well told. I also liked how they tied in the two films. A 5-year gap is a pretty big one but you feel like you didn't miss a thing and that means good planning and writing. Karl Urban and Thandie Newton play decent roles but Alexa Davalos' performance of Kyra steals the show, outside of Vin Diesel being a B.A. that is. The camera absolutely loves her and how she hasn't had more roles in the past decade is beyond me. Overall, I think this film stands alone well and is a really good sequel but they definitely lost part of the charm of the first one. Expand
  8. Mar 7, 2012
    David Twohy took his solid Pitch Black film and spun it off into... complete and utter crap. With horrendous dialogue and tiny sets that look like they were built by elementary school kids for a school play, you're inclined to think that this is supposed to be a comedic parody of the first film. But no... the film presents the material with the same seriousness as a production of Hamlet or GlenGarry Glen Ross. Whatever. After slogging your way through one awful "action" set piece after another, the final battle turns out to be a joke where the universe-conquering, death-defying bad guy turns out to be a pathetic wet noodle who crumbles under Riddick's unstoppable awesomeness. Yawn. Expand
  9. Sep 19, 2013
    Watching it for the second time. First one I didn't like it much, the second one either. All of the stuff happening seems pretty stupid to me. The characters seem pretty bland. Necromongers do not look like the race capable of destoying the whole universe, they are just some dudes in helmets, they do not scare, they do not look convincing! There are some good points Riddick himself is a pretty cool character, Vin Diesel is cool too, the visual design/computer animation/scenery are very beautiful and the ending is a bit unexpected but logical (though he whole story is weak). For me this is a step back from Pitch Black, which was more like a Sci-Fi horror in vein of Alien and this is some kind of Sci-Fi fantasy or adventure or action (by the way the battle scenes seem pretty lame). Expand
  10. May 20, 2013
    Riddick feels all but the same way every video game adaptation feels, action packed without a point but to copy the video game. To add on to that, it makes the sci-fi thriller Pitch Black look silly.
  11. Jul 22, 2013
    I love this second movie a master piece in many ways, and cannot understand why it did not have the success it clearly deserves. I see many more Positives then Mixed and Negative ones, but the box office shows clear numbers, so when it was released, people did not like it much it seemed. It is clear this movie had a lot of work put into it, in every little detail if you look closer. The secondary actors is perhaps where people did not appreciate, and perhaps they could have been better chosen, but I love them all the same, especially "Jack" as she makes a very beautiful "ex-merc" and would love to meet her in real life. Do not miss Pitch Black if you are into this type of movie, and also Dark Fury, as well as the upcoming third movie, which took a very long time to be created! Expand
  12. Dec 27, 2012
    **** the critics. This was a great movie. I've always loved the Riddick movies and I'm playing the games too. Why people downrate this is beyond me. What do they expect? A movie with a warm filter on the lense with a bunch of poor suffering souls, sitting around and talking about the dramas of their lives in some kind of sh*tty inner city apartment, while the rain buckets down outside and fills their pots and from the holes in the roof. Perhaps an aweful movie about a Californian wine tour with 2 whiny, middle aged men?

I REALLY wish they'd make the next Riddick movie! The concept is awesome, the story is awesome and the acting is great.
  13. Sep 6, 2013
    Screw critics, this movie is awesome in terms of sci-fi action. Global planet actions,colossal structures, explosions and fights. Though plot is lacking this movie is just a feast to your eyes. Vin Diesel rox!
  14. May 16, 2013
    you dont listen to those critics screw them this is my third favorite movie maybe 4th its amazing i watch and play the riddick games and i cant wait for the third to come out
  15. Oct 9, 2013
  16. Apr 15, 2014
    There are many types of SCI fi film, not everyone should be layered like blade runner, I personally loved this film, visually amazing, so many visual references from history. The flow of the movie is well paced and the story draws you in. I honestly could watch it anytime. It really is a movie to put on when you want to chill and forget the real world.

1. This is a movie so devoted to metal that it couldn't care less about the flesh it destroys.
    There's nothing here you haven't seen before, especially if you own a PlayStation.
  3. An overblown hodgepodge of volcano-baked desertscapes, Egyptoid-gone-baroque architecture, and gladiator-geared storm troopers with goofy headpieces, The Chronicles of Riddick bears no resemblance to the movie that spawned its namesake.