5.2

1. Oct 19, 2013
    It sounded good from the description but then when I watched it turned out bad. Story was promising but they didn't do much with it. I thought it was going to be this paranormal kind of thing but nope just plain old humans all the way, booooooring.
  2. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Actually, the harsh critics are exactly right on this one. It's unoriginal, contrived, and worst of all, it makes no sense. On the positive side, it's good looking the cinematography and and special effects are well down. It has a better acting cast than it deserves. The problem is that it has holes in the plot you could drive a truck through and it develops a bunch of subplots that ultimately go nowhere and just detract from the story. (SPOILER ALERT) Some examples: 1) The explanation for how "feral people" doesn't stand up to logic: The world has a long history of starving people and they've never turned into what these people turn into. 2) Why are common sicknesses all of a sudden so deadly? I know they're in a closed environment, but people live on ships and in the arctic today and common illnesses aren't nearly the grave danger they make them out to be in this movie. 3) The whole power struggle between Mason and the rest of the crew gets a bunch of screen time but ultimately fizzles out, failing to advance the story, set up a key plot element, or add drama. 4) The feral people follow our hero back to his colony by following his footprints in constant wind and snow which would obliterate those footprint in a matter of hours. 5) When the hero grabs seeds to take to the thaw-out zone to re-seed the earth, he grabs a couple jars! There are many, many others. Frankly, it feels like this film started out with a significantly different story and it got a half-baked rewrite in the middle. Perhaps it was originally a zombie movie then a lot of what is in the film makes more sense. But as it stands, it's just a pretty mess. Expand
  3. Oct 3, 2014
    Let me start by saying the movie is a complete waste of time, you’ve seen this before. Forget about the Weather towers and the barren Earth, this is like The Hills Have Eyes but in a dystopian future. The characters are one dimensional, and the whole past of a particular character (narrated on a moment obviously done to try and get us to know better the characters) was a complete waste ofLet me start by saying the movie is a complete waste of time, you’ve seen this before. Forget about the Weather towers and the barren Earth, this is like The Hills Have Eyes but in a dystopian future. The characters are one dimensional, and the whole past of a particular character (narrated on a moment obviously done to try and get us to know better the characters) was a complete waste of time and without relevance to the plot. The pace at the beginning was slow, one Colony went to find out what happened to another until they find a shocking reality: “cannibals”. That’s it, you have seen that in other movies. It isn’t original and the whole plot with the Earth and the Antennas was forgotten entirely for chases and fights. I only gave it something because the scenery was good, particularly those antennas (or whatever they were), and because I liked the idea that they completely ignored. Pass this one out, please! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Sep 30, 2013
    Can’t somebody come up with a monster that does something more interesting than run at you screaming, “Yeeaaaarrrrgh”?
  2. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Sep 22, 2013
    Utterly routine futuristic horror-thriller The Colony substitutes the term “ferals” for plain old zombies (the modern, fast-moving kind), and that’s about it for originality.
  3. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    Sep 20, 2013
    With a frost-bitten script whose skeletal plot cuts and pastes bits from innumerable other survival yarns, the biggest surprise the film offers is that four people were required to write it.