7.7

1. Jul 20, 2013
    My girlfriend loves horror movies and has dragged me to a lot of stinkers, but this movie was not one of them. Possibly the best horror movie I have seen to date! Here are the top reasons why I enjoyed this movie so much

1. crapped my pants
    2. surprised my girlfriend didn't leave hand prints because she was gripping my arm so tightly
    3. the "brave" guys beside me made lame jokes to
    lighten the mood (I assume they didn't like being so scared)
    4. the plot was very good for a horror movie and did I mention I crapped my pants?

if you like horror go see this movie! wear a diaper...
  2. Jul 19, 2013
    Like the old-school horror flicks that inspired it, The Conjuring is more of an exercise in palpable tension and mounting dread than outright terror. It is a slow, quiet movie that definitely earns every scare it throws at you. Those suffering heart conditions might want to avoid this one.
  3. Jul 19, 2013
    Despite having a fairly standard haunted house horror plot, James Wan has created a fun, scary and beautiful looking movie. In The Conjuring, Wan uses skills learnt directing his previous films and old school 70’s horror tricks to amp up the tension and ensure a sleepless night.
  4. Jul 21, 2013
    What a great film. I'm giving it a 10 because of what it accomplishes. It is a straight-up old school haunted house flick, pulling no new tricks. And the plot is a very simple uphill ramp of gradually building suspense until all heck breaks loose. Yet it does everything well and somehow pulls it off, and manages to feel fresh and compelling. What a surprise!

It's simply an honest
    attempt at telling a scary story within conventional and very familiar bounds. It does so wonderfully, beautifully, and quite artfully. What's not to like? The acting is superb, and each scene is thoughtfully prepared and executed expertly. Good acting, good directing, good scripting, good cinematography, good score.

Horror movies rarely get better than this.
  5. Jul 27, 2013
    It's a classic. From start to finish, this was true beautiful filmmaking. Two months ago I saw a tv spot of this and I thought this could be really good. I was beyond right. This movie is the Inception of horror movies. It was wonderfully put together and everything seemed to just simply work. You're right in there. Many a movies just present a visual that's symbolic through the writing, directing and acting for it's lack of care or passion or vision and just presenting an obviously gimmick picture that's only trying to make cash to give the producers a bigger ego. Now the rare films that actually have passion, care and a vision aren't entirely made to sell tickets. More of, to entertain and satisfy audiences to make the producers feel good to give them a raw feeling, other than the fake feeling of ego boosts, which is utter joy for their inspiring love for film. That's what The Conjuring is all about. It has all the passion, all the care, and all the vision to truly become a great piece of work. It draws you in, and presents a very classic and truly inspiring horror vision that easily got me going with the main titles, which is a small thing but in film the small things are the most important things and become big things in delivering a full, complete impact of a visual. From there on forward, we get phenomenal writing and acting and directing that I would say should be Oscar-worthy. Characters that are relatable and likeable and face empathetic conflicts. It draws you in and makes you believe wants happening on the screen is legit actually happening in front of you. I felt it was real.

The directing of this film was passionate, the writing was unnerving, and the acting was high-caliber and every element aspect of filmmaking fed off each other to make an enthralling harmony of film magic. I wish every film had this. I mean I want to give this a 10/10, I'm not overly-critical, but giving this a 10 would mean comparing it to Citizen Kane or The Godfather. However this is so damn good, I'm giving it a deserving 9/10. In dire specifics, it'd be a 9.2 which is real high. But this is a horror masterpiece.

It ends brilliantly. People misinterpret and misunderstand the fact that horror movies don't necessarily have to contain depressing themes. Isn't that kinda what film-noir is? But this stinger believes in delivering a movie, with a horror genre, with an original theme. I mean there's emotion in this. There's a flashback sequence towards the climax that brings a forgotten light in the visual that sustained darkness for the primary portion of the final act that gave me hope, care, and true feeling for these characters, and ultimately belief and inspiration for horror movies and in movies once again. I love it when movies have that and do that, and whenever they do, I'm inspired and obsessed. In this case, possessed.

The movie felt so genuine, so real, and so authentic that (since it's based on a true story) when they showed the actual people who experienced this, I was truly haunted than I already was. They had to put the stinger in there to make it even more real than it was. Oh, man I couldn't sleep.

This is a true horror movie and as a summer movie, it's the most inspiring and well put together since Inception. I mean it. The ending was a signature of pure artistry. Like Inception. I don't care if you hate horror movies and/or the stereotype has brainwashed your opinion, GO SEE THIS NOW!!!!!
  6. Aug 3, 2013
    Before saying that The Conjuring is terrifying as hell, it is extremely disturbing and manipulative. With its own twist and story it delivers a thrilling ride through hell, this is one of the best movies of 2013, more off, it is scariest than The Evil Dead remake. On the other hand, I felt like there is no haunted house horror movie those days, that can work without the usual, predictable and kind of annoying cliches! For Example: birds are breaking their nicks by hitting the house! Didn't we see it in The Last Exorcism Part II and before it Dark Skies? Doors slamming, like always, and thanks for the franchise that is known for doors slamming, and it worked and terrified us every time "Paranormal Activity" Can't James wan makes the door break after slamming, or just doesn't slam the door at all? I think he can do just way to more better, I actually blame him much because it was based on true story but not EVENTS, even though it isn't right if you have the accurate events. It is sometimes predictable and references much past horror movies ex: Poltergeist, Insidious, Paranormal Activity, Sinister, Drag me to hell and much more. But does make The Conjuring even close of being bad? Absolutely not! The cast is terrific, Vera Farmiga is hot and the plot is a through back to the '70s, it is not a bad movie, but not great one either but awfully close of being my favourite movie of 2013, if it wasn't for the cliches, it would have gotten a ten, but unfortunately, those cliches exist and I hate them, although some of them work, but not all of them. The Conjuring is the best horror movie 2013 and one of my favorite horror movies. I would highly recommend seeing it in theaters, IF YOU DARE! Expand
  7. Jul 20, 2013
    With minimal CGI, minimal jump scares, and awesome acting, James Wan's "The Conjuring" stands out as an awesome, original film. It's the kind of scary that gets under your skin and makes you feel very uncomfortable. Such a fun time in the movie theatre! Go watch this movie and have as much fun as I did!
  8. Jul 27, 2013
    I watched The Conjuring Movie and saw that it was based on a true story that happened in Harrisville Rhode Island, so I decided to go check out the old farm house. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okCr61sYpsI
  9. Jul 31, 2013
    It's been a damn long time since I was creeped out at home after a movie, so I am very happy to say that after going to see The Conjuring I was jumping at shadows and looking over my shoulder for 3 or 4 days! Weird things would happen, like a fan that kept falling off the windowsill or my wife waking up in the middle of the night talking about "that terrible noise" when I had been laying there reading and it was quiet. I just about lost it when my wife and kid left to go to the store, and the fire alarms in the house started going off randomly in short bursts. I noticed that the alarms were always 3 beeps... like the knocks in the movie! It was probably just some sort of low battery warning. But I really wanted to not be in the house! I've calmed down since seeing the movie and everything seems rational again, but it really was an effective movie at raising one's paranoia and making you think "Yeah, I know that stuff never happens... but what if it did?".

Great pacing, good jump scares, good slow build scares. The only complaint might be that there seemed to be two different stories told the investigator couple, and the haunted family. Or from the perspective of evil entities, Annabelle the haunted doll and the nasty old lady who haunted the house. The movie tried to reconcile all of these things but it never felt like they tied together 100%.

The cats are running back and forth upstairs and writing about this movie is not helping me think about it in a rational manner. I'm logging off and going to bed, with the lights on!
  10. Aug 9, 2013
    This is the first movie to make me shout at the theaters.The story is great at the same time creepy.Not many horror movies I watch is that scary.I proclaim this movie as the scariest movie I've ever watched.
  11. Sep 3, 2013
    I'm not a huge fan of horror, but I did enjoy James Wan's last movie (Insidious) enough to bring me back for this one. I'm glad I did, because The Conjuring is by far the best movie I've seen this year. It does a great job at maintaining tension throughout almost the entire movie. There are plenty of scares, and none of them feel cheesy or forced. I also loved the way this movie looks: the cinematography is great, and they really captured the era (early 70's). Long story short: Go see it. Expand
  12. Jul 20, 2013
    I don't have to write a long review on this. I can sum it up in a few words: the most terrifying film I've ever seen since the Exorcist (1973). I love horror movies, been watching them by myself since I was 4 and I have to say, do not see this alone like I did. The acting is good, the special effects (when necessary) were good, the storyline was fantastic, & the movie came together well.
  13. Jul 19, 2013
    It may unfortunately lack in scares and may have one silly moment, but it is saved by beautiful cinematography, nice sound design, blood-curdling tension, fantastic acting and a nice retro and old fashioned feel. If the film managed to have more scares, James Wan's fantastic The Conjuring would have got a full score.
  14. Jul 25, 2013
    I saw this movie last weekend and, whoa!, scary scary. I know it's based on a true story but Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga are awesome! It takes the movie a little while to really pick up. They lay the ground work for the first hour but what comes later is well worth the wait. Definitely one I'll purchase for my Halloween and late nite collection.
  15. Jul 20, 2013
    With James Wan's signature penchant for tension, a serious devotion to story and character, and an unexpectedly crowd-pleasing ending, "The Conjuring" is a horror movie with absolute class and refinement.
  16. Jul 30, 2013
    I love horror pictures and whenever a new one is release I see it, and The Conjuring is the first one that has scared me s***less since Paranormal Activity.
  17. Jul 31, 2013
    Firstly the fact that this one's a true story leads the viewers to expect a lot from the story line than they usually would from a fiction. Hence the first impression, the opening 30 min. are always important as that is often decides the fate of the movie in such True Story based films. This movie starts off brilliantly. It does not scare you off or try to be cynical. The first 20 min. just gives you the hunch that this movie is going to create an impact and you know it right there that this is not one of those typical overdone horror flicks. The movie then rapidly picks up pace just refusing to stop and give you a break. The ending is well constructed nothing highly dramatic or depressing. Ends where it has to, when it has to. The set,the cast,the makeup is spot on. Though if there's one thing missing it has to the be the lighting which is just not bright enough. But that really doesn't matter cause the plot is just fabulous. This movie truly has what it takes to be one of the best horror movies of all time. Expand
  18. Jul 19, 2013
    This is a superb horror film mainly because of the brilliant directing of James Wan and a great score. Wan is easily one of the best horror directors going today with Saw, Insidious, and now The Conjuring. Also I really thought Versa Farmiga and Lily Taylor gave the standout performances. I don't get shaken easily, but I got to say it got me a few times. A
  19. Jul 21, 2013
    It is definitely the best horror of the decade!!! Full package great acting, super immersive action, interesting plot! The only week point is that the ending happened very rapidly! Great horror movie
  20. Aug 15, 2013
    Now this is a horror movie the best I've seen in 2013 James Wan is a great director He Gives us great gems like Insidious And Saw now this movie has a borrows for some movies but it it worth it in the end the scares come and the come good not quick fire jumps like every 2 seconds I mean you think is coming and some else happens instead. The Cast are great Paddy Wilson was good my advice go see this now you will be forever change Expand
  21. Aug 3, 2013
    Best horror film I have ever seen, kept me on my toes the entire time, filled with amazing scares that had the whole cinema screaming in terror. The plot was great and was developed very well, with great suspense throughout the entire film.
  22. Sep 28, 2013
    James Wan is a master. I haven't watched many films that he has made but the conjuring is just epic. The first hour it just builds the whole thing and in the second hour true horror comes in the screen. From the first scene, I knew that this movie is going to make me bricks. And of course I was correct. Something really impressive was the actors and the cinematography of the film. Lili Taylor and Vera Farmiga were stunning. As for the cinematography I doubt that there is going to be a better film with that cinematography. Though it has no originality it gives to a horror fan what really wanted for many years. I don't think that there is going to be such a good horror movie in years. Thumbs up! 9,5/10 Expand
  23. Nov 2, 2013
    One of the rare films I found truly scary and truly captivating. Well worth the watch for horror lovers. Not sure why reviews have to be fifty characters long...
  24. Jul 19, 2013
    Legitimately the best horror movie in the last 30 years. The Conjuring conjures up the same type of atmosphere as the horror greats in the 70s and early 80s. The scares come continuously, and the story is well written and acted. The characters are relatable and well formed. Very strongly recommend!
  25. Jul 24, 2013
    Probably the thing that i enjoyed the most was leaving the cinema having the feeling that for a change i was not treated as retarded just because i like the horror genre, thanks for a well done movie, good actors and performance.

the story is fairly simple, but is all the rest what makes this a great film. Sequel with the same quality? yes please!

And for people wandering if it worth
    the chance watching it, be sure that any movie (that is not part of a cult start trek/star wars, etc) that has better reviews from the users than the critic it worth the time watching. Expand
  26. Sep 15, 2013
    The Conjuring is quite possibly the best horror movie of the past 5 or so years. I've been watching horror movies for 15+ years now, and nothing scared me quite as bad as this one. Too scary to move to the edge of your seat, but too intense to sit back. The only other option was to curl up in my seat while being bombarded with a fantastic story and scare tactics beyond the average possession tale. It's too unique of a horror movie to miss. Expand
  27. Nov 5, 2013
    I'm an avid horror fan. Lately I've been thinking there isn't much that can scare me (though Sinister got under my skin). I appreciate James Wan's films, I love the first Saw, Insidious was a damn good modern ghost story, but like all reviews have stated for it, the movie kinda loses it's momentum in the final act.

The Conjuring is better, scarier, and more tense than Insidious. I'm
    gonna go out on a limb and say it's one of the best horror movies of the last 5 or 10 years. It goes back to the classic rule of horror film making, never show the bad guy fully to your audience. Plus this movie knows suspense, I tell you, I almost threw a water bottle at the screen from sheer terror once the scare finally happened. There are no fake jump scares, the movie earned an R rating without any blood, sex, or profanity, it's all from the terror that this movie builds upon.

Not only is the movie scary, but as a film itself, it's almost a masterpiece. The script, acting, direction, style, tone, etc were all simply top notch. Wan's camera-work here is by far his best out of any of his movies. The choice to set the movie in the 70s was a stroke of genius as it feels so authentic and all the more real. If this story were set in the present, it simply wouldn't be as a effective or scary. The 70s style film making, costuming, and hair styling are a great throwback to likes of The Exorcist & The Amityville Horror.

Though there are a few (extremely minor) flaws, such are length, repetitiveness, and a resolution that happens way too fast. I don't care, every horror movie (or movie in general) has it's flaws. There will never be a perfect horror movie, if there is one, I haven't seen it yet. But all I know is James Wan's The Conjuring is one of the best horror movies I've seen in a long time, and it's been a really long time that a movie has scared me this badly.

10/10 Don't miss this one, it's an amazing theater viewing experience.
  28. Dec 13, 2013
    The Conjuring thrills with its countless scares and tense atmosphere. Solid acting and great cinematography only excels this as a thoroughly enjoyable (and old-school) horror flick.
  29. Aug 3, 2013
    Being a huge fan of Jame Wan's I was looking forward to this film and it didn't disappoint at all. Unlike Insidious it has a very authentic, old school horror feel about it. There's a nice, gradual build up to things going wrong, with some good character development and scene setting going on. Then, when it starts kicking off, as you'd expect from Wan it soon gets to a point where your nerves are being bludgeoned with horrific imagery and concepts. I'm so glad this Director exits because we rarely get a horror masterpiece like this on the shelves. A perfect film in every way and boy am I looking forward to Insidious 2. Expand
  30. Aug 29, 2013
    A solid horror movie.
    The conjuring is an old school horror movie where the emphasis is not on blood and gore but on psychological tension. It's one of the best film of 2013 so far.
  31. Aug 30, 2013
    The Conjuring is a horror film of 2013 directed by James Wan, based on the true events in 1971, with Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson and Lili Taylor.
    The film is about one of the most disturbing cases happened to Mr and Mrs Warren, who are called by the Perron family, terrified because for quite some time in their new home is going something really horrible doors that open themselves from
    the sun, the mysterious death their dog and presences that do not leave the family in peace. It's up to Ed Warren and Loranne discover and deal with this threat that will prove to be very powerful and ruthless.
    In addition to surprise the huge success it is having in the world in terms of receipts, The Conjuring surprisingly also for the way in which it was made.
    James Wan has improved a lot with the master socket, and if with Insidious had done a great job with this film is even better. Shots really well made and disturbing chills, atmosphere typical of the '80s movie realized with skill that can give a sense of oppression, sound effects typical of the old horror that can make you stop the heart and actors who play really well .
    From the plot, the film seems to be the typical ghost story but it is not. In fact, the film is also the theme of exorcism (it was the time of The Exorcism of Emily Rose, who was not treated so well the genre) and the family that is not trivialized as happens in other movies.
    In the film, there are also tributes to old horror such as The Exorcist but also films like Prince of Darkness and many others.
    A film that uses the tricks of the old school horror in an original way.
  32. Dec 9, 2013
    For a genre that almost always gets it wrong, The Conjuring finally gets it right. Not only is it actually scary, but the film also manages to tie in good acting, score, production, and a perfect pace. Something that cannot be said of any other horror movie that comes to mind.
  33. Aug 25, 2013
    It's your standard fare "family moves into a house, it's haunted" horror film and that's alright for two reasons 1.) It's done incredibly well and 2.) Number 1 doesn't happen very often.

Forget the stream of garbage that has been hitting the industry lately, The Conjuring is an amazing tale of a family moving into a farm house, only to discover something is lurking in the shadows. A
    film based off a "true story" from two of America's top most paranormal investigators, Ed and Lorraine Warren.

Everything about this movie is great, the pacing, the atmosphere, the level of anticipation, it's all perfecr and blends well with the amazing story that is being told.

It doesn't matter if what the Warrens said was true or not, it doesn't matter if it's a true story or not, because this is an amazing, rare, masterpiece of a horror film.
  34. Aug 6, 2013
    the plot is something we all seen before but unlike many other movies with a similar plot to this, this movie does everything right and hits every scary note
  35. Jan 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of those horror movies where everyday stuff turn into nightmares. If you have ever lived in an old house you have experienced strange sounds that can't be explained by normal occurrences. In my opinion this fact is what makes this movie so scary and spooky. Expand
  36. Oct 5, 2013
    I don't watch horror movies too often, though the few I've seen have been either fairly good or absolutely garbage. This is neither and rises to the top of my list as one of the best horror movies I've watched. Excellent acting and the characters are well done, and I actually liked the plot of this one, particularly because it was paced very well. Plenty enough scares for the horror film lover, much of which is achieved by slow moments of rising tension, tense anticipation and plain creepy moments. Recommended. Expand
  37. Feb 14, 2014
    To be honest, this has to be one of the better horrors I have seen in a while. Granted allot in this movie has been done before and the premise is nothing original, the movie as a whole feels fresh and genuinely scary at points. Rich atmosphere and all round decent acting give this movie the creepy vibe that many other horrors are lacking.

While they could have been a bit more daring
    and gone deeper with the narrative, I really have no gripes with this movie.

Overall:
    An enjoyable, creepy and highly atmospheric movie and probably the best horror movie of 2013. I loved it.
  38. Aug 4, 2013
    Wow! One of the best Horror films I've seen, let alone this year. From start to finish it draws you in and you are hooked! Such a creative idea and I've never seen this type of Horror film done this well before, because many have attempted and failed. It's creepy atmosphere is done well because it builds from being pretty calm to extremely creepy towards the end. There are jumps galore and many moments you can't help but look away! Overall a solid Horror film and one of the best I've seen! Expand
  39. pxl
    Aug 27, 2013
    I went out to the cinema for this one and it was well worth the money, the film was great, had the perfect formula for a good horror movie. The problem for me with films like this is that, they struggle to scare me, I really enjoy horror movies but it's rare I am genuinely caught off guard but, this film just had the perfect formula.

1) A creepy music piece (The Jack in the Box)
    2) A
    creepy item (The doll)
    3) A fear evoking antagonist (You'll see)
  40. Dec 10, 2013
    Consensus: Well crafted, frightening, suspenseful, full of effective scares, excellent performances and with a terrifying picture. "THE CONJURING" by James Wan is definitely one of the best horror films in recent memory. Worldwide Box Office: $316,700,141. MY RATING: 89/100 (A-)

Directed By: James Wan

REVIEW: "The Conjuring" directed by James Wan (Insidious, SAW) is one of the most
    anticipated horror films in this year. The film begins very well, with one case of The Warrens "Annabelle" maintaining interest in the audience and then show us the story of this happy family (slowly and suspensefully during the first 20 minutes) who has noticed a couple of paranormal events happening in the house. After the first 30 minutes the worst happens!, suspense, more terror, epic scenes, loud noises, screams all the way down, all this well acted, with an original, awesome and terrifying picture and photography that is unleashed. The plot is extensive and very well explained; Always throughout the film is very well maintained of suspense, and i think that all the suspense made all the scares EFFECTIVE!, although none of the scares of The Conjuring are original but these are very creative and effective, the film reminds me of many others like: The Woman in Black (2012) Paranormal Activity 3 (2011), The Exorcist, etc. Yeah it's true The Conjuring is "more of the same but that doesn't mean that isn't scary or misspelled; Isn't overrated!, The film has that score on Rotten Tomatoes (87%) because he deserves it!. The film has amazing performances, highlight here fits nicely Patrick Wilson as always, Lili Tayor also does excelent it's always scared, tense all the time and one of the best performances of the film was undoubtedly the role that plays this girl Joey King (Christine) her performance was so good and so impressed me so much that I give her 10 OSCAR awards. One of the performances that didn't cause me fear or empathy is Vera Farmiga's performance she is very talented but in some parts (very few) her performance wasn't credible it was more...exaggerated as her character. Something else that I really like it in The Conjuring was ALL the terrifying moments, all the scares very well executed, and the film never became boring neither a minute!, always entertaining with his characters, his script perfectly prepared and with occasional jokes which includes the talented James Wan in the script. The film has nice special effects (as we can see in a video of the behind the scenes, all the work that was employed in this scenes) although many of them clearly are with CGI and it looks a bit crappy; But this movie need to use CGI in 2 or 3 scenes because it's very necessary. The weakest part of the film is the final part (The Exorcism Scene), still maintaining the terror, But in this part the film isn't original, is 0% original and at times this part was more funny than frightening. But still entertaining, the photography is very impressive, everything is in balance with this: the terror, suspense, tension,etc. So the end result is an extremely well crafted film, very well acted, full of effective scares, entertaining, incredibly frightening scares, and certainly I think that The Conjuring is one of the best horror movies of all the time.

NICE: All the scares are effective (Of course, if you haven't seen the trailer yet) PLEASE DON'T SEE THE TRAILER!, because almost of all the scares are ruined. Also has the picture, nice direction, a perfect and careful script, the performances of all the cast, and obviously this film is 100% entertaining.

FAIL: The lack of originality in many of the scares, so don't expect anything new in The Conjuring. The exorcism scene.

WATCH THIS MOVIE IF... Love or is your passion the horror genre without gore, also if you liked other films by James Wan like "Insidious", Watch this If you are very skittish or if you like suspense, also watch this if you have "average expectations"... I mean if you think that the movie isn't the 8th wonder but neither is a complete bull****.

DON'T WATCH THIS MOVIE IF... You have highly extremely expectations because this movie ISN'T PERFECT!, Please don't see it if you like gore, bizarre scenes, etc.. Because the film hasn't much gore or deaths, or profanity, is pure horror and suspense at 100%.

Twitter: @MemoBosque, Facebook: Guillermo Bosque Mendoza,
    FULL REVIEW at my Blog: www.MemoBosque.Blogpsot.Mx
  41. Mar 23, 2014
    One of the best horror movies of all time!
    Positives:
    - Excellent Actors
    - Excellent Story
    - Great Atmosphere
    Negatives:
    - Abrupt Ending
    - Based on a true story, even though the story was amazing I'd rather not hear it being based on actual events.
  42. Dec 24, 2013
    The Conjuring is easily the most scariest movie to date. Take what you think is scary and times it by 10, and your left with The Conjuring. This movie is a MUST for all horror fans. To the acting, dialogue and creepy sound effect this movie will leave you exhausted by the end wishing you never watched because I can tell you now you won't be getting a goods night sleep.
  43. Aug 4, 2013
    Based on a true story "The Conjuring" provides consistent scares throughout the entire film with interesting fleshed out characters and scenes superbly directed by James Wan. If you are a fan of any of James Wan's former work or of scary movies in general I would HIGHLY recommend this movie.
  44. Aug 5, 2013
    So far this movie is the best horror movie I ever watched! It prevented me from sitting nicely in every scary scene...I cant even differentiate between the screams audiences and real movie scream effects! Best horror movie indeed. Clap Clap!
  45. Aug 5, 2013
    Most horror flicks these days aren't scary at all. I can't say that at all about The Conjuring. Old school scares and great acting and story combine to make this one of the most terrifying horror movies I've seen. The soundtrack was extremely well done as well. At times the level of suspense was almost unbearable. And all throughout the director never lost focus. This movie ranks right up there with the classics. If you love a good scare DON'T miss The Conjuring. Expand
  46. Aug 26, 2013
    "The Conjuring" is the scariest movie you will ever see. Everyone in the theater screamed at least three times. This is a true scary horror movie. And it's based on a true story...
  47. Aug 7, 2013
    My GF loves scary movies i use too as a child but i find none of them scary anymore, i thought i grew out of it as a man...until i watched the conjuring it was actually scary first movie i' can say actually had scary moments in a long time worth a 9 rating just for that fact i would of gave it a 10 but the story was not very original but at least the scares were
  48. Aug 9, 2013
    i love horror movies, this film make me scary but i love it, vote 10 Score for this film everyone. Saw and Insidious is also fantastic too, I really love Insidious and i can't wait until this film show. but why Patrick Wilson really interested in acting horror movies. i knew Leigh Whannell in saw, and now he come back with Insidious. cause i live in vietnam so my english because I live in Vietnam so my english vocabulary is not so good if you do not know what I said, then I'm sorry Expand
  49. Aug 15, 2013
    I went to see the movie with my girlfriend and boy did I wish my mommy was with me too. I cant explain to you how creepy the movie was. I was surprised that my arm didn't go numb from my girlfriend squeezing it like a teddy bear. 75% of the movie we spent huddling up and gasping for air If you want to see it I advise you to bring a diaper with you. And dont act big thinking it is just a movie because this movie makes Saw and all other horror movies look like childs play. Expand
  50. Aug 20, 2013
    An almost flawless, nostalgic James Wan directed horror flick which may occasionally slide into slightly familiar territory. There are phenomenal performances all round especially from Famiga, who's really coming into her own. The movie has some flaws but becomes an instant horror classic and is arguably Wan's best movie.
  51. Aug 28, 2013
    Definitely one of the best horror movies ever made, mainly because of it's story: this movie was made to tell a story, not to just freak out people. The acting is top notch, and Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga give a wonderful portrayal of the two demonologists. The visual are very effective, with some pretty eerie stuff, and the music blends in perfectly.
    I recommend this to horror movie
    fans, but also who (like me) had lost hope for a good horror movie Expand
  52. Aug 26, 2013
    I seen this movie at 3:15 pm when i left left i could not shake this off 4 the whole day, this was the best, most scary, great actors, great story and backstory at some parts and i highly recommend this movie to any horror fan. these are only some of this movies strong points cause it would take to long to write them all. 11 out of 10
  53. Sep 6, 2013
    This movie is really awesome, it is not like the typical kind of exorcism and demons movie, it´s like paranormal activity but with real exorcism and really good actors. If you get to watch it on the cinema remember to scream yourself out!!! go with some girls
  54. Sep 9, 2013
    It's Funny How People Are Saying Negative Things About The Movie... Most Of The Normal People Would Say They Don't Want To Reveal That They Wet Themselves
  55. Oct 9, 2013
    I really enjoyed this movie...if your a fan of horror movies you will love this movie!!!

Overall a great movie and acting...not to mention lovely spooky atmospheres & sounds...
  56. Oct 27, 2013
    We actually really enjoyed this movie. It made us a jump a bunch of times and was a great halloween movie. Sure there were some already used plot devices in this horror movie, but overall it was great.
  57. Nov 7, 2013
    This movie is definitely one of the best horror movies I have seen so far. I was a bit skeptical at first of this movie, but once it started, I could not keep my eyes off the screen. It was definitely a better movie to see than "My Little Pony: Equestria Girls". I can't wait for James Wan's next installment in the Warren paranormal investigators saga.
  58. Dec 21, 2013
    James Wan brings us the classic horror film that does scare anyone who is in the room from the first minute (literally), bringing a conbinacion Poltergeist, The Exorcist and The Shining reverse. The 2013 was good horror movies generally had good reviews as Mama and The Cottage of Terror (although in the latter my criticism was not positive). Vera Farmiga splendid as ever. The girls (Joey King Batman the Dark Knight rises, Mackenzie Foy Breaking Dawn Part 2 and others) keeps his performance very well. The best thing about the movie is the diabolical doll Anabelle since its first appearance in the movie scares, the plot and outcome. The only thing bad about 20 minutes without something interesting happens. Expand
  59. Feb 14, 2014
    This movie is my best horror movie. The story is based on true events wich makes the movie even more scary especially if it's well played. It has a lot of moments where you think there will be jump scare but in the end it's nothing and thats what makes it so scary, there are a few jump scares yes but not always. Just in the right moments.
  60. Feb 17, 2014
    I've always been a fan of good horror movies. Sadly, nowadays, there is somewhat of a deficit amongst the genre, because, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a generic plot + dark premise + a few jumpscares = a good movie. Luckily, this movie isn't like that.
    I love this movie. And even as I nitpick my way through it, I manage to find just one thing I don't like about it. But let
    me get there first.
    This movie is really beautifuly shot. The whole direction it is going for has a very retro-horror vibe that I just can't help but enjoy. There are almost no effects, which I think is a huge plus, and those that are included are very effective. This movie doesn't rely simply on jumpscares, but on pure, well-built atmosphere, the overall look and feel of it brings a lot to this.
    It also sounds great, all the sound effects used are creepy, there are almost no random sharp sounds, like the ones used in Insidious (whichi I personally hated about it), there is also almost no awkward silence - it's a perfect mix.
    The acting in the movie is great. The people behind the movie knew exactly what kinds of people they need, so they just got those people, and they are perfect for their roles. Even the little kids are great at acting it out! It's simply a joy to watch all of these people interract with eachother on such a great level, at times it feels like real-life footidge of a family reunion and that's brilliant.
    The overall story is nothing we haven't seen before, but it's very well paced, which is key to a good horror movie. I really love what they did with the pacing here, though I felt the ending was a bit rushed, but I give the movie credit for having scenes that most movies of the genre forget - those that expand on the characters and their bonds. However, here is also the one thing I don't like about this movie, and it's the paranormal apparition - it's not badly done, it's just not my thing and I didn't find it scary or creepy, I was intrigued and when I found out what it was, it all sort of went down hill from there for me, but this is just for me, so instead of my personal rating of a 8/10, I give it a almost perfect 9/10 - I recommend this movie to all horror fans, especially those who are nostalgic for retro horror. This movie is awesome!
  61. Feb 19, 2014
    "Why is this movie getting awesome scores? What happened in this movie that hasn't happened in every other horror movie?"

It is an art to make good pictures. It is an art to make feel the viewer emotionally involved. It is an art to place, choose and time sound effects so that they are just "in time". Often in life it is not the story which is told. It is the WAY the story is told!!!!
    The conjuring - for shure - is a composition of already known story fragments, but the way the fragments have been arranged to a dense thrilling story are absolutely f***ng genious. There is barely nothing which I had to criticize respectively that can be criticized. And this is - by all respect to other filmmakers - a seldom situation. double thumps up into my bluray-collection! Expand
  62. Mar 17, 2014
    from the guy who brought you saw and insidious james wan brought us the conjuring which is scary and freaky . i never saw a horror film that was based on a true story . this is sort of like amityville horror but hey it was a good film . i can not wait for the sequel
  63. Mar 16, 2014
    First I heard about it I thought I was going to be really scared about it, but rare times it scared me. But that's not very important, because the movie was not made to be horror. The story was a very good one, which made me think and ask myself why was doing that character a certain weird thing. Even the movie wasn't what I was looking for, I liked it very much because of mistery, characters, especially Lorraine, who had a great role in the story; of course everyone had it own role, and the way they have solved the problem. The thing I didn't like so much was that the exorcism was a quick ritual in the film, about several minutes, where I wanted to see something more. Nevertheless, now, after I watched it it's on my favourite list, so I give it a 9, recommending it for the people who wants mistery. Expand
  64. Jul 25, 2014
    The Conjuring es una película del género terror que logra cumplir con las expectativas del género, sin duda alguna va a ser considerada una de las mejores películas de terror del 2013.
  65. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Conjuring was the best horror movie I've watched! It actually happened and there's a reasonable story behind the true events, as well as the movie!
  66. Jun 12, 2014
    Again, I DARE YOU TO WATCH THIS FILM BY YOURSELF IN THE DARK!!! It's so scary, the government are thinking of adding this film as part of training in the military, in helping soldiers face their fears. lol
  67. Aug 23, 2014
    One of the best horror movies I've ever watched. The story is fantastic [and real], I guess I am more afraid of ghosts than I was before seeing this film, it's very good indeed.

1. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Aug 3, 2013
    Wan’s film is a sturdily built supernatural chiller, with next-to-no digital effects or gore, and it delivers its scares with a breezy lack of urgency.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Hartlaub
    Jul 25, 2013
    I'd be shocked if we see a better horror film in 2013.
  3. Reviewed by: Simon Abrams
    Jul 19, 2013
    The Conjuring is as toothless as it is because it's two different kinds of boring. The film's plot is explained exhaustively whenever loud noises aren't blaring, and random objects aren't teasingly leaping out at you from the corner of your eye.