The Conjuring

8.0

1. Oct 5, 2013
    I don't watch horror movies too often, though the few I've seen have been either fairly good or absolutely garbage. This is neither and rises to the top of my list as one of the best horror movies I've watched. Excellent acting and the characters are well done, and I actually liked the plot of this one, particularly because it was paced very well. Plenty enough scares for the horror filmI don't watch horror movies too often, though the few I've seen have been either fairly good or absolutely garbage. This is neither and rises to the top of my list as one of the best horror movies I've watched. Excellent acting and the characters are well done, and I actually liked the plot of this one, particularly because it was paced very well. Plenty enough scares for the horror film lover, much of which is achieved by slow moments of rising tension, tense anticipation and plain creepy moments. Recommended. Expand
  2. Aug 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Conjuring promises more than it ultimately delivers, although an effective sense of trepidation is felt throughout. The film is actually at its best in the first hour before all the camera equipment is moved into the house to photograph unfolding events. Maximum tension is eked out of scene after scene and although these occasionally result in some chilling payoffs they are never to jumpy effect. Great camera movements, considered direction and the main house setting create the right atmosphere and all add to the film's success. Likewise, the music and sound effectively jangle the nerves. It is therefore a shame that towards the end things start to get a tad silly. Unintentional laughs are conjured up when Lili Taylor goes in to full possession and we find ourselves in territory derivative from other movies. This, unfortunately, has the effect of undermining some of the good work achieved during the film's careful build up. Expand
  3. Feb 14, 2014
    To be honest, this has to be one of the better horrors I have seen in a while. Granted allot in this movie has been done before and the premise is nothing original, the movie as a whole feels fresh and genuinely scary at points. Rich atmosphere and all round decent acting give this movie the creepy vibe that many other horrors are lacking.

While they could have been a bit more daring

While they could have been a bit more daring and gone deeper with the narrative, I really have no gripes with this movie.

Overall:
    An enjoyable, creepy and highly atmospheric movie and probably the best horror movie of 2013. I loved it.
  4. Aug 4, 2013
    Wow! One of the best Horror films I've seen, let alone this year. From start to finish it draws you in and you are hooked! Such a creative idea and I've never seen this type of Horror film done this well before, because many have attempted and failed. It's creepy atmosphere is done well because it builds from being pretty calm to extremely creepy towards the end. There are jumps galore andWow! One of the best Horror films I've seen, let alone this year. From start to finish it draws you in and you are hooked! Such a creative idea and I've never seen this type of Horror film done this well before, because many have attempted and failed. It's creepy atmosphere is done well because it builds from being pretty calm to extremely creepy towards the end. There are jumps galore and many moments you can't help but look away! Overall a solid Horror film and one of the best I've seen! Expand
  5. pxl
    Aug 27, 2013
    I went out to the cinema for this one and it was well worth the money, the film was great, had the perfect formula for a good horror movie. The problem for me with films like this is that, they struggle to scare me, I really enjoy horror movies but it's rare I am genuinely caught off guard but, this film just had the perfect formula.

1) A creepy music piece (The Jack in the Box) 2) A

1) A creepy music piece (The Jack in the Box)
    2) A creepy item (The doll)
    3) A fear evoking antagonist (You'll see)
  6. Aug 31, 2014
    "When the music stops, you'll see him in the mirror standing behind you." - April

This is why i love horror movies.One of the best horror movies i ever seen.
  7. Jul 26, 2015
    When it's not trying to shove religion down your throat, the conjuring is actually a decent horror movie with a vibe that flicks back and forth between drama and horror, unfortunately, it doesn't always work and the conjuring is slightly messy. A slight overshadow of brilliant horror effects makes this film watch-able and pretty damn enjoyable (watch this film with your friends!)
  8. Jan 25, 2014
    Now this is a real horror movie! So much scary scenes! The story was intresting, kinda boring at moments but still a great movie to watch! I recommend it if you want to watch a scary movie with less disgusting scenes!
  9. Apr 4, 2014
    Many will try and have you believe that the atomosphere around the movie was terrifying, but I will tell you unless this is the first horror movie you've seen, nothing will scare you or creep you out.

The movie is so unoriginal. There is nothing creative, nor original, and especially not clever in this film. Not the first evil doll, paranormal activity, haunted house, nothing in this movie is good nor interesting. I literally fell asleep, right after my girlfriend. It took me about 5 times to watch the movie entirely. That's 1 more then Avatar.

The films only good aspects are the acting and maybe the directing.
  10. Oct 30, 2013
    I normally don't enjoy horror movies but The Conjuring was fantastic for what it was. This movie really scared me, I watched half of it through my fingers. What makes it even more scary it was based on a real demonologists, they even talked at my local university at the height of their careers. The performances were good for most of the actors and it had a good build up to build suspenseI normally don't enjoy horror movies but The Conjuring was fantastic for what it was. This movie really scared me, I watched half of it through my fingers. What makes it even more scary it was based on a real demonologists, they even talked at my local university at the height of their careers. The performances were good for most of the actors and it had a good build up to build suspense and fear. It's been a few days since I've seen it and I still makes me nervous when I trun off the light. Worth watching if you want a good scare! Expand
  11. Mar 23, 2014
    One of the best horror movies of all time!
    Positives:
    - Excellent Actors
    - Excellent Story
    - Great Atmosphere
    Negatives:
    - Abrupt Ending
    - Based on a true story, even though the story was amazing I'd rather not hear it being based on actual events.
  12. Oct 11, 2014
    Stupid ass movie title! NOTHING is CONJURED in this movie!! Stupid writers and the director should go read a dictionary before slapping the title onto this movie! They also recycle the frickin UV-light **** again.
  13. Aug 12, 2013
    There are some scary moments, but they're mostly jump scares that don't have a lasting affect. The horror fell short for me, but good acting, particularly Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson, prevented it from being a bad movie. Not terrible, but not particularly great. I've seen a lot of better horror movies, but I've seen a lot that are worse. It was par for the course. Watchable, butThere are some scary moments, but they're mostly jump scares that don't have a lasting affect. The horror fell short for me, but good acting, particularly Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson, prevented it from being a bad movie. Not terrible, but not particularly great. I've seen a lot of better horror movies, but I've seen a lot that are worse. It was par for the course. Watchable, but nothing that hasn't been seen before. Expand
  14. Dec 24, 2013
    The Conjuring is easily the most scariest movie to date. Take what you think is scary and times it by 10, and your left with The Conjuring. This movie is a MUST for all horror fans. To the acting, dialogue and creepy sound effect this movie will leave you exhausted by the end wishing you never watched because I can tell you now you won't be getting a goods night sleep.
  15. Aug 4, 2013
    No great shakes....a big disappointment as far as I am concerned. Nothing that we haven't already seen in films like Paranormal Activity and Exorcist. Infact those films were more chilling and impactful compared to this which felt like 'recycled stuff'. The screenplay is a major culprit because its so damn predictable...you know how it begins and how it will end...
  16. Aug 11, 2013
    Trust me you've seen it before booming sound effects, loud screams and cheap attempted jump scares does not cut it. It's using a supposed true story and attempting a cheap cash grab for those expecting to walk out pleased.
  17. Oct 10, 2013
    The movie becomes gradually less scary after the two 'ghost hunters' arrive at the haunted house, the mystery should be harder to solve and the ending is too 'noisy'. Still, the first act is excellent, there are several frightening scenes, the direction makes the atmosphere darker and Vera Farmiga is great. Patrick Wilson is good too.
    argonautis.eu
  18. Aug 4, 2013
    Based on a true story "The Conjuring" provides consistent scares throughout the entire film with interesting fleshed out characters and scenes superbly directed by James Wan. If you are a fan of any of James Wan's former work or of scary movies in general I would HIGHLY recommend this movie.
  19. Aug 4, 2013
    I have not ever that I recall screamed in theater... until I watched the Conjuring. For three nights, I felt anxious to turn out my light before getting into bed. The last time I felt like that was The Exorcism of Emily Rose. The Exorcist gets attention for being novel, but seriously, I watched that when I was 4 (but not deeply set into religion). The effect did not last passed theI have not ever that I recall screamed in theater... until I watched the Conjuring. For three nights, I felt anxious to turn out my light before getting into bed. The last time I felt like that was The Exorcism of Emily Rose. The Exorcist gets attention for being novel, but seriously, I watched that when I was 4 (but not deeply set into religion). The effect did not last passed the credit roll. The Conjuring used (mostly) simpler tactics than pea soup and cross-raping of a child's vulva to pull fear and disgust from my usually strong psyche. Expand
  20. Aug 5, 2013
    So far this movie is the best horror movie I ever watched! It prevented me from sitting nicely in every scary scene...I cant even differentiate between the screams audiences and real movie scream effects! Best horror movie indeed. Clap Clap!
  21. Aug 5, 2013
    Most horror flicks these days aren't scary at all. I can't say that at all about The Conjuring. Old school scares and great acting and story combine to make this one of the most terrifying horror movies I've seen. The soundtrack was extremely well done as well. At times the level of suspense was almost unbearable. And all throughout the director never lost focus. This movie ranks right upMost horror flicks these days aren't scary at all. I can't say that at all about The Conjuring. Old school scares and great acting and story combine to make this one of the most terrifying horror movies I've seen. The soundtrack was extremely well done as well. At times the level of suspense was almost unbearable. And all throughout the director never lost focus. This movie ranks right up there with the classics. If you love a good scare DON'T miss The Conjuring. Expand
  22. Aug 26, 2013
    "The Conjuring" is the scariest movie you will ever see. Everyone in the theater screamed at least three times. This is a true scary horror movie. And it's based on a true story...
  23. Aug 7, 2013
    My GF loves scary movies i use too as a child but i find none of them scary anymore, i thought i grew out of it as a man...until i watched the conjuring it was actually scary first movie i' can say actually had scary moments in a long time worth a 9 rating just for that fact i would of gave it a 10 but the story was not very original but at least the scares were
  24. Aug 9, 2013
    i love horror movies, this film make me scary but i love it, vote 10 Score for this film everyone.
    Saw and Insidious is also fantastic too, I really love Insidious and i can't wait until this film show.
    but why Patrick Wilson really interested in acting horror movies. i knew Leigh Whannell in saw, and now he come back with Insidious. cause i live in vietnam so my english because I
    but why Patrick Wilson really interested in acting horror movies.
    i knew Leigh Whannell in saw, and now he come back with Insidious.
    cause i live in vietnam so my english
    because I live in Vietnam so my english vocabulary is not so good if you do not know what I said, then I'm sorry
  25. May 25, 2014
    Based on a true stroy The Conjuring is a movie that follows a family in the early 70's that was being tormented by a demonic demon so they soon seek out the help of paranormal investigators to get rid of the demon haunting them. The story itself is nothing new and the events surrounding the story isn't anything new but James Wan delivers on the suspense of the telling of a old story. ThereBased on a true stroy The Conjuring is a movie that follows a family in the early 70's that was being tormented by a demonic demon so they soon seek out the help of paranormal investigators to get rid of the demon haunting them. The story itself is nothing new and the events surrounding the story isn't anything new but James Wan delivers on the suspense of the telling of a old story. There wasn't any jump scare moments well at least none that got me. Also only being made on a 20 million budget was great none of it looked bad and for making over 300 million worldwide that is something.

Overall i give it a 7.5 The movie freaked my mom out she siad she wanted to watch a scary movie then after she siad she never want's to see this movie ever again i laughed =D the movie isn't scary at all
  26. Aug 15, 2013
    I went to see the movie with my girlfriend and boy did I wish my mommy was with me too. I cant explain to you how creepy the movie was. I was surprised that my arm didn't go numb from my girlfriend squeezing it like a teddy bear. 75% of the movie we spent huddling up and gasping for air If you want to see it I advise you to bring a diaper with you. And dont act big thinking it is just aI went to see the movie with my girlfriend and boy did I wish my mommy was with me too. I cant explain to you how creepy the movie was. I was surprised that my arm didn't go numb from my girlfriend squeezing it like a teddy bear. 75% of the movie we spent huddling up and gasping for air If you want to see it I advise you to bring a diaper with you. And dont act big thinking it is just a movie because this movie makes Saw and all other horror movies look like childs play. Expand
  27. Aug 28, 2013
    Definitely one of the best horror movies ever made, mainly because of it's story: this movie was made to tell a story, not to just freak out people. The acting is top notch, and Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga give a wonderful portrayal of the two demonologists. The visual are very effective, with some pretty eerie stuff, and the music blends in perfectly.
    I recommend this to horror movie
    I recommend this to horror movie fans, but also who (like me) had lost hope for a good horror movie
  28. Aug 26, 2013
    I seen this movie at 3:15 pm when i left left i could not shake this off 4 the whole day, this was the best, most scary, great actors, great story and backstory at some parts and i highly recommend this movie to any horror fan. these are only some of this movies strong points cause it would take to long to write them all. 11 out of 10
  29. Aug 30, 2013
    Combining every memorable element of Horror from a previous film before it, The Conjuring masters at scaring by not allowing you to realize you've been conned into 100 minutes of cheap tricks and bumps in the night. Forcing the religious angle for relative ease in accepting that possession exists, and then use the "Salem witch" as a scapegoat of Baphomet to ride through the black holeCombining every memorable element of Horror from a previous film before it, The Conjuring masters at scaring by not allowing you to realize you've been conned into 100 minutes of cheap tricks and bumps in the night. Forcing the religious angle for relative ease in accepting that possession exists, and then use the "Salem witch" as a scapegoat of Baphomet to ride through the black hole plot. Perhaps they should sacrifice this witch to let the film end? Of course, after thuds, shadows, and CGI low budget snores that don't do as much as even muster a chuckle out you for their pathetic sideshow buffoonery. Expand
  30. Sep 12, 2013
    same warmed warmed and warmed and re warmed soup made in hollywood. absolutely boring and predictable. I appreciated wilson's performance but nothing else. entire movie is a shameless cliche, redundant till the bother. without any trace of soul. yes, definitely I can say its a ghosts movie. where the ghost is the movie.
  31. Sep 13, 2013
    Great expectations for the title of the film, horror at its highest expression, the situation more chilling is that it is not murder but of spirits. I was scared but with Insidius.
  32. Oct 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well-crafted movie with several scary scenes, however it revolves so much around horror clichés: remote haunted big house in the forest, a seemingly happy family, a poltergeist that plagues the occupants, dark spooky cellar, kids (females again as usual) that can see and hear things that adults can’t do so, animals “mysteriously” killed, cursed toys/items, happy ending (sorry for the spoiler!) achieved by uttering the right sentimental “password” to the spirit etc.

Although predictable, it is worth seeing if you are horror fans.
  33. Oct 3, 2013
    While the movie may have some scary visuals, it relies too much on old and cheap scary tricks that the movie keeps repeating, so by the time you've experienced the first scary scenes you already know what's gonna happen in the scenes that follow.
  34. Oct 9, 2013
    I really enjoyed this movie...if your a fan of horror movies you will love this movie!!!

Overall a great movie and acting...not to mention lovely spooky atmospheres & sounds...
  35. Oct 18, 2013
    Its true that The Conjuring plays on the same tried story of the haunted house, but it, unlike its predecessors plays it right. The films director, Wan, manages to take an overly developed storyline and streamline it into a frightfully believable tale that is shot in a way that removes the predicable scare tactics that plague the horror genre and replace it with well thought schemes andIts true that The Conjuring plays on the same tried story of the haunted house, but it, unlike its predecessors plays it right. The films director, Wan, manages to take an overly developed storyline and streamline it into a frightfully believable tale that is shot in a way that removes the predicable scare tactics that plague the horror genre and replace it with well thought schemes and unpredictably eerie scenarios. A film worth watching, even for those averse to the genre. Expand
  36. Oct 27, 2013
    We actually really enjoyed this movie. It made us a jump a bunch of times and was a great halloween movie. Sure there were some already used plot devices in this horror movie, but overall it was great.
  37. Nov 6, 2013
    A week ago my boyfriend and I watched “The Conjuring” for the first time. Before we watched the movie I expected the movie to be like any other horror flick someone dies, they get haunted, and then they beat the demon. But this movie was better. From the beginning of the movie to the end I was interested the whole time. It was suspenseful, exciting, frightening, and terrifying. I loveA week ago my boyfriend and I watched “The Conjuring” for the first time. Before we watched the movie I expected the movie to be like any other horror flick someone dies, they get haunted, and then they beat the demon. But this movie was better. From the beginning of the movie to the end I was interested the whole time. It was suspenseful, exciting, frightening, and terrifying. I love scary and suspenseful movies, but this movie was better than any movie I have seen in a long time. After I watched the movie I wanted to watch it again. Expand
  38. Nov 24, 2013
    Haunted dolls, levitating, Attack of Blind Pigeons, cheesy "dialogue", slamming doors, crucifixes, basement-as-center of activity...zzzzzz.....But, don't worry, in the end we're all brought back to flowers and unicorns and bubble-teas by a mother's love and god. Awwww.

This is galactically lame, desperate, and overdone with cheap jump-thrills. Just another horror movie that reminds us that The Exorcist is the gold standard which has yet to be beat.
  39. Mar 12, 2014
    It is a nice movie with a great theme and background work. It is terrifying in several aspects, including the fact that it is based on a true story, but I believed it would have ended with a more interesting and surprising situation. However, its a nice movie.
  40. Aug 26, 2014
    This movie caused a big buzz so my best friend dragged me to see it. There are few horrors that can scare me but this movie didn't. Anyways, the plot and the casting were good but there was something missing from it that would give it a higher score.
  41. Dec 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Even though it is the same old haunted house story and a predictable happy ending, the Conjuring delivers with the stylistic visuals that make James Wan's films great. Expand
  42. Dec 21, 2013
    James Wan brings us the classic horror film that does scare anyone who is in the room from the first minute (literally), bringing a conbinacion Poltergeist, The Exorcist and The Shining reverse. The 2013 was good horror movies generally had good reviews as Mama and The Cottage of Terror (although in the latter my criticism was not positive). Vera Farmiga splendid as ever. The girls (JoeyJames Wan brings us the classic horror film that does scare anyone who is in the room from the first minute (literally), bringing a conbinacion Poltergeist, The Exorcist and The Shining reverse. The 2013 was good horror movies generally had good reviews as Mama and The Cottage of Terror (although in the latter my criticism was not positive). Vera Farmiga splendid as ever. The girls (Joey King Batman the Dark Knight rises, Mackenzie Foy Breaking Dawn Part 2 and others) keeps his performance very well. The best thing about the movie is the diabolical doll Anabelle since its first appearance in the movie scares, the plot and outcome. The only thing bad about 20 minutes without something interesting happens. Expand
  43. Dec 28, 2013
    This is an effective old school horror flick that favors tension and surprises over gore and killings. The Conjuring represents an improvement over Wan's Insidious, eliminating that film's overly corny elements.
  44. Jan 1, 2014
    It opens up with a creepy sub story, but ultimately possesses the same annoying problems as every other horror movie. Insidious was a more original and less ridiculous films, and the sound was terrifying. The Conjuring lacked on many things.
  45. Feb 26, 2014
    Now I am always willing to give them a chance but I am often pretty unimpressed with haunting movies. I really enjoy horror movies but it seems like we get 10 haunting movies a year and none of them very good. The Conjuring on the other hand I thought was very well done, in particular James Wans directing and the cinematography. The story was your typical haunting story of a family movingNow I am always willing to give them a chance but I am often pretty unimpressed with haunting movies. I really enjoy horror movies but it seems like we get 10 haunting movies a year and none of them very good. The Conjuring on the other hand I thought was very well done, in particular James Wans directing and the cinematography. The story was your typical haunting story of a family moving into a new house and weird stuff happens but is still interesting to watch and scary because it was handled so well. These types of horror movies are not really my bag but this one has definitely impressed me. Expand
  46. Feb 17, 2014
    I've always been a fan of good horror movies. Sadly, nowadays, there is somewhat of a deficit amongst the genre, because, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a generic plot + dark premise + a few jumpscares = a good movie. Luckily, this movie isn't like that.
    I love this movie. And even as I nitpick my way through it, I manage to find just one thing I don't like about it. But let me get there first.
    This movie is really beautifuly shot. The whole direction it is going for has a very retro-horror vibe that I just can't help but enjoy. There are almost no effects, which I think is a huge plus, and those that are included are very effective. This movie doesn't rely simply on jumpscares, but on pure, well-built atmosphere, the overall look and feel of it brings a lot to this.
    It also sounds great, all the sound effects used are creepy, there are almost no random sharp sounds, like the ones used in Insidious (whichi I personally hated about it), there is also almost no awkward silence - it's a perfect mix.
    The acting in the movie is great. The people behind the movie knew exactly what kinds of people they need, so they just got those people, and they are perfect for their roles. Even the little kids are great at acting it out! It's simply a joy to watch all of these people interract with eachother on such a great level, at times it feels like real-life footidge of a family reunion and that's brilliant.
    The overall story is nothing we haven't seen before, but it's very well paced, which is key to a good horror movie. I really love what they did with the pacing here, though I felt the ending was a bit rushed, but I give the movie credit for having scenes that most movies of the genre forget - those that expand on the characters and their bonds. However, here is also the one thing I don't like about this movie, and it's the paranormal apparition - it's not badly done, it's just not my thing and I didn't find it scary or creepy, I was intrigued and when I found out what it was, it all sort of went down hill from there for me, but this is just for me, so instead of my personal rating of a 8/10, I give it a almost perfect 9/10 - I recommend this movie to all horror fans, especially those who are nostalgic for retro horror. This movie is awesome!
  47. Mar 17, 2014
    from the guy who brought you saw and insidious james wan brought us the conjuring which is scary and freaky . i never saw a horror film that was based on a true story . this is sort of like amityville horror but hey it was a good film . i can not wait for the sequel
  48. Mar 16, 2014
    First I heard about it I thought I was going to be really scared about it, but rare times it scared me. But that's not very important, because the movie was not made to be horror. The story was a very good one, which made me think and ask myself why was doing that character a certain weird thing. Even the movie wasn't what I was looking for, I liked it very much because of mistery,First I heard about it I thought I was going to be really scared about it, but rare times it scared me. But that's not very important, because the movie was not made to be horror. The story was a very good one, which made me think and ask myself why was doing that character a certain weird thing. Even the movie wasn't what I was looking for, I liked it very much because of mistery, characters, especially Lorraine, who had a great role in the story; of course everyone had it own role, and the way they have solved the problem. The thing I didn't like so much was that the exorcism was a quick ritual in the film, about several minutes, where I wanted to see something more. Nevertheless, now, after I watched it it's on my favourite list, so I give it a 9, recommending it for the people who wants mistery. Expand
  49. May 2, 2014
    With such a great cast, great direction, many jump scares, turns out to be not as scary as i expected, but it was way more interesting that i hoped. The story will make you keep on watching until you know what will happen at the end, by the hand of a terrifying score by Joseph Bishara.
  50. Nov 23, 2014
    The Conjuring es una película del género terror que logra cumplir con las expectativas del género, sin duda alguna va a ser considerada una de las mejores películas de terror del 2013.
  51. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Conjuring was the best horror movie I've watched! It actually happened and there's a reasonable story behind the true events, as well as the movie!
  52. Ozy
    Feb 4, 2015
    Was scary!!! This scared the living crap out of me. Yet i'm the brat aethiest, go figure! The movie is very subtle - then out of nowhere some scary b,,tch jumps off a big cabinet and then i couldnt sleep that night. Don't watch alone dont be a fool.
  53. Apr 10, 2014
    Critics said that it was one of the scariest horror movie from a long time.I said damn i should watch it and the result is that the cation is all in the end of the movie so before it's just long and long.The only good thing in the beginning is the creepy doll.
  54. Nov 13, 2014
    My first REAL Horror movie I have ever watched .....Final Destination 5, The Purge, The Bay. and the Resident Evil movies are horror movies I have watched but THIS is my first demon-posssession/exorcism type of horror I have ever watched. And guess what? I watched it late at night, on my Ipod Touch with earbuds on pretty loud. And guess what? Its one of my favorites of all time! ReallyMy first REAL Horror movie I have ever watched .....Final Destination 5, The Purge, The Bay. and the Resident Evil movies are horror movies I have watched but THIS is my first demon-posssession/exorcism type of horror I have ever watched. And guess what? I watched it late at night, on my Ipod Touch with earbuds on pretty loud. And guess what? Its one of my favorites of all time! Really really loved it! My favorite horror flick so far....definitely will look more into James Wans movies. Already checked him out on the IMDB!!.

And this is what has got me into horror movies and now I freaking love horror flicks. Hollywood sure is awesome guys, don't you think? Go see the Conjuring! Oh, and Resident evil are zombie movies.
  55. Jun 12, 2014
    Again, I DARE YOU TO WATCH THIS FILM BY YOURSELF IN THE DARK!!! It's so scary, the government are thinking of adding this film as part of training in the military, in helping soldiers face their fears. lol
  56. Oct 16, 2014
    Los sustos que da son bastante eficientes y la película en si se siente superior en todo a la ridícula Insidious.
    Recomendable a quien le guste el terror con aire clásico, pero con temas espirituales.
  57. Nov 9, 2014
    The Conjuring thrills with its countless scares and tense atmosphere. Solid acting and great cinematography only excels this as a thoroughly enjoyable (and old-school) horror flick.
  58. Jul 5, 2015
    It is a horror film and has really strong performances .
  59. Aug 23, 2014
    One of the best horror movies I've ever watched. The story is fantastic [and real], I guess I am more afraid of ghosts than I was before seeing this film, it's very good indeed.
  60. Oct 23, 2014
    Using haunting and disturbing imagery instead of violence and gore made the human life a precious thing in "The Conjuring" and that is why enjoyed it a lot. It's a film that is scary enough for You to turn on all the lights and lock all the doors in your house.
  61. Jul 12, 2015
    Summary: The Conjuring is a memorable, well acted and genuinely frightening horror film. 90/100 [A-]

The Conjuring is a horror film directed by James Wan and it was my most anticipated horror movie of 2013. Moving on, the opening scene is spooky, since here you can behold the stunning camera work; this little scene is about a possessed doll called Annabelle. This scene keeps the suspense and the scariness. There are two stories in the movie; the first one is about Lorraine and Ed Warren, they are two paranormal investigators, both have a little daughter and they live in a nice house. Then, there's the other story about a likable family who has experienced some paranormal events in their new home. It doesn't matter how cliche it sounds, this is a terrific horror film.

After the first 30 minutes or so, there are the first scares, all of them are very effective, unexpected and well executed. Even though I didn't jump out of my seat (maybe because jump-scares are not effective in me and some of the scares were in the trailer) I have to admit that the film freaked me out so much, it boasts some extremely violent sequences and it was so damn thrilling at several moments. A few scares were pretty familiar and it's true that it doesn't offer something new to the horror genre, but it has enough creativity and originality to succeed. In addition, it is very similar in tone to 'The Woman in Black', both have a well handled suspense and an atmospheric setting.

The performances were great, even the young cast was awesome. The most believable character in the film was Christine (performed by Joey King), this girl was excellent. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga were good as always, Vera's character "Lorraine" was a bit surreal but her stunning performance made me believe in all of what she said. Also, Lili Taylor did an excellent job with her role throughout the film, she was amazing, especially in the chilling final act. Moving on, the special effects were quite realistic and so well done. In spite of being a low budget film, it didn't use too much CGI, maybe just in a couple scenes, but everything looks great anyway.

Its final act has some flaws, the exorcism scene has its ups and downs. However, I still liked it, this whole sequence is truly violent, a bit bloody and creepy. The acting was awesome here, Lili Taylor is such a great actress and she really looked like a possessed woman. I just can't believe that Wan directed this flick, most of his previous movies are quite average; but this one, it's a total blast. The Conjuring is an extremely well done horror film that has an impressive camera work, a great cast and lots of memorable scares. It definitely earns its R rating because it's very gruesome and evil at times. It's my favorite horror film of 2013. Oh, and please don't watch the trailer, it's a huge spoiler. [A-]
  62. Jan 3, 2015
    This movie is considered to be one of the most terrifying, This is true for the most part, and the suspense makes you go crazy. The only problem I experienced was when the ending was so slow and a little boring.
  63. Nov 8, 2014
    Horrorosa, perturbante, suspensiva, e inteligente. The Conjuring tiene el paquete completo que una muy buena pelicula de horror deberia tener. Además de garantizarte unas cuantas noches de pesadillas con todo el asunto.
  64. Nov 13, 2014
    "The Conjuring" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

"The Conjuring" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

The Good: While it was more jumpy than scary (as most horror films are these days), it does have some genuinely creepy moments. Based on actual people who claimed to have been involved in the exorcism of a possessed house, the story is an interesting one. Vera Farmiga is one of my least favorite actresses, but she does a great job here. The cast as a whole was more than adequate. An entertaining and enjoyable horror film.

The Bad: A few supporting characters were sort of forced into the film. You're supposed to care about them somewhat as they feign an attempt to give them personality ... but it doesn't work. There is a lull in the middle where they are investigating the home that I could have done without. Lastly, while it has become a modern horror staple, I wish it hadn't relied on so many hollow jumpy moments.
  65. Dec 8, 2014
    It's good to have a good time, but anything else. I think that this film is a decent horror film filled with tension, and some scary moments that works. The atmosphere created by James Wan is very good and it really works, I'm going to see Annabelle and check if it's as good as the conjuring. The film's plot isn´t much, but it isn't really bad. The film hasn´t a wonderful cast, but they doIt's good to have a good time, but anything else. I think that this film is a decent horror film filled with tension, and some scary moments that works. The atmosphere created by James Wan is very good and it really works, I'm going to see Annabelle and check if it's as good as the conjuring. The film's plot isn´t much, but it isn't really bad. The film hasn´t a wonderful cast, but they do it well. The film is good to have a good time (as I said before) with your friends, or alone. I recommend it to horror film lovers and to people who wants to have a scary night. Expand
  66. Dec 21, 2014
    The Conjuring thrills us with a scary atmosphere and Jump scares that actually works.The Conjuring is a good horror film,it maybe predictable at times but its still scary with countless jump scares and loveable characters that we don't want them to die.
  67. Mar 26, 2015
    I love this movie. plot was great and the scary parts were actually scary!!!! It was not predictable and I would watch it again, for sure. I highly recommend this movie if you want a good scare :)
  68. Jun 5, 2015
    Os cenários no interior da casa são ótimos, os personagens realmente sabem reagir de acordo com cada momento, mas o terror se sustentou mais com sustos do que o medo original, o medo que não necessita somente de sangue e sustos, e sim de agonia e expressões.
  69. Apr 22, 2015
    The Conjuring represents a member of an increasingly endangered species: the R-rated horror movie that relies more on suspense and scares than blood and gore. That's not to say there are no instances of horrific, stomach-churning visuals in The Conjuring, but this is predominantly a ghost/haunted house tale and, as such, is largely devoid of the kind of slicing and dicing thatThe Conjuring represents a member of an increasingly endangered species: the R-rated horror movie that relies more on suspense and scares than blood and gore. That's not to say there are no instances of horrific, stomach-churning visuals in The Conjuring, but this is predominantly a ghost/haunted house tale and, as such, is largely devoid of the kind of slicing and dicing that characterizes movies established in the slasher or "torture porn" subgenres. If I was to use a single word to describe The Conjuring, it would be "intense." The pervasive aura of creepiness more than compensates for the low body count and inventive use of sharp instrumentation.

The victims are the members of the Perron family: father Roger (Ron Livingston), mother Carolyn, and daughters Andrea (Shanley Caswell), Nancy (Hayley McFarland), Christine (Joey King), Cindy (Mackenzie Foy), and April (Kyla Deaver). It doesn't take long before strange things begin happening in their new "dream home." Bumps in the night, mysterious skin bruises, hands clapping in empty rooms, and a dead dog are the first symptoms that all isn't right in this rural, colonial house. By the time Carolyn brings in the Warrens to help, the situation has become serious with the inmates running the asylum.

Wan is a master of manipulation and uses every trick available to him to ratchet up the level of tension. At times, he moves the camera in innovative ways (there's a nice little point-of-view shot that occurs when one of the girls looks under her bed), preferring long takes over short cuts. He often plays with the audience, establishing expected angles without the payoff only to have the "money shot" occur shortly thereafter. The camera placement and movement is precise and represents the difference between a pedestrian haunted house tale and a top-notch one. Joseph Bishara's discordant score adds to the effect without becoming intrusive or overwhelming. CGI and practical effects are used but not overused - another indication that Wan knows what he's doing.

The Conjuring offers the right mix of jump-scare "boo!" moments and mounting tension that creates an intense two hours. The ending is a little weak but it's by no means a disappointment and it wraps up the story effectively - something increasingly unfamiliar to horror films (which like to have "hooks" at the end to facilitate a sequel). This is a midsummer gift to those who genuinely appreciate movies that startle and unsettle. For those who like real horror, this is a don't-miss.

One of the best horror films of all time!

1. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Aug 3, 2013
    Wan’s film is a sturdily built supernatural chiller, with next-to-no digital effects or gore, and it delivers its scares with a breezy lack of urgency.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Hartlaub
    Jul 25, 2013
    I'd be shocked if we see a better horror film in 2013.
  3. Reviewed by: Simon Abrams
    Jul 19, 2013
    The Conjuring is as toothless as it is because it's two different kinds of boring. The film's plot is explained exhaustively whenever loud noises aren't blaring, and random objects aren't teasingly leaping out at you from the corner of your eye.