7.8

1. Jul 20, 2013
    My girlfriend loves horror movies and has dragged me to a lot of stinkers, but this movie was not one of them. Possibly the best horror movie I have seen to date! Here are the top reasons why I enjoyed this movie so much

1. crapped my pants 2. surprised my girlfriend didn't leave hand prints because she was gripping my arm so tightly 3. the "brave" guys beside me made lame jokes to

1. crapped my pants
    3. the "brave" guys beside me made lame jokes to lighten the mood (I assume they didn't like being so scared)
    4. the plot was very good for a horror movie and did I mention I crapped my pants?

if you like horror go see this movie! wear a diaper...
  2. Jul 20, 2013
    Why is this movie getting awesome scores? What happened in this movie that hasn't happened in every other horror movie? Random substories that popped up are never resolved, and the main plot never really goes anywhere outside the obvious foreshadowing it sets up. Most scenes involve a lot of characters staring at something that barely moved, followed by a jump scare that quickly cuts to aWhy is this movie getting awesome scores? What happened in this movie that hasn't happened in every other horror movie? Random substories that popped up are never resolved, and the main plot never really goes anywhere outside the obvious foreshadowing it sets up. Most scenes involve a lot of characters staring at something that barely moved, followed by a jump scare that quickly cuts to a "safe" scene. Boring horror movie that'll eventually play every weekend on tv. Expand
  3. Jul 19, 2013
    "The Conjuring" is an enjoyable, spine-chilling paranormal saga directed by James Wan ("Saw", "Insidious"), and it has already been given the green light by New Line Cinema for a sequel before the first installment has even hit theaters on July 19. A welcome throwback to classic 1970s chillers, with spectacular production design work, a well-constructed script, impressive atmospheric set"The Conjuring" is an enjoyable, spine-chilling paranormal saga directed by James Wan ("Saw", "Insidious"), and it has already been given the green light by New Line Cinema for a sequel before the first installment has even hit theaters on July 19. A welcome throwback to classic 1970s chillers, with spectacular production design work, a well-constructed script, impressive atmospheric set pieces, and rounded out with terrific performances from Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga. The film primarily utilizes the old bag of tricks for scares very effectively, creating a terrifying atmosphere of bloodless scaremongering.

Set in the 1970s, "The Conjuring" tells the story of husband-and-wife demonologists Ed Warren (Patrick Wilson), and Lorraine Warren (Vera Farmiga), who are best known for their case involving the Amityville Horror, and are now investigating the secluded Harrisville, Rhode Island home of Carolyn and Roger Perron (Lili Taylor and Ron Livingston.) The family has recently moved into the house with their five daughters (Shanley Caswell, Hayley McFarland, Joey King, Mackenzie Foy and Kyla Deaver), and have begun experiencing a series of unexplained occurrences. Lorraine immediately detects that something isn't right in the house, and the pair conclude that the Perron's home is possessed by multiple demons, with their initial investigation revealing that the trouble may have begun as far back as the Salem Witch trials. Meanwhile, the Warren's presence enrages whatever is within the house, and the supernatural activity escalates to terrifying levels.

James Wan and his group of frequent collaborators are clearly well in sync for "The Conjuring." The film nods its head to everything from "The Exorcist" (1973) to "The Amityville Horror" (1979), while developing an atmosphere of trepidation, with well-timed scares that will keep viewers on the edge. All the ingredients of a standard paranormal story are present: a haunted and secluded house, a peaceful family being terrorized, strange noises in the night and its all-familiar territory. However, the film is so finely tuned, it comes across as a respectable homage to the genre. It's reassuring to see a genre film that contains a compelling story and has interesting characters, rather than serving up a number of teenagers ready to be tortured.

"The Conjuring" is primarily intended as a haunted-house attraction, a ride through a hall of nerve-racking horrors. Wan's direction is perfectly paced, pulling off some properly scary set pieces (a game of 'hide and clap'; some business involving a mirror and a music box), and slowly ratcheting up the tension. The frightening escalation of events gives a permanent tension in a feature film that is certainly predictable, but smoothly conducted to satisfaction.
  4. Jul 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm feeling as though I'm in a rather small majority on this one. The Conjuring was the horror film equivalent to Prometheus: concerning all of its high expectations. To put it simply, horror films are all about the set up and the release (or the "pay-off"), and I felt neither. In my opinion, having felt the lack of the release was due in part to the weak or unclear set up. I don't consider myself a writer, although I believe I could be capable of writing a screenplay that could get away with murder.
    Speaking of murder, how many deaths occurred in the span of this film? Well, there are certainly various instances of implied murders, but other than that we only see the family’s dog and a scene that contains flocks upon flocks of birds that fall (or fly rather) to their death. All of the slayings surrounding any humans had taken occurrence in the past in regard to the history leading up to the family’s arrival. Whether a story is illustrated through a movie, a play, or a book (or any other medium), death is to be used as a plot device: a means to give a strong punctuation to the overall storyline. So what is death? Death is the looming threat that will eventually get the better of us, if we’re ready for it or if we’re not. The element of death can be represented symbolically as a warning, as significance, or the consequence of there being one.
    If there isn’t a single main character that doesn’t die in a HORROR film amid the first and second act (even up to the third act), then the film instinctively looses its power, and one’s attentiveness along with it. At the conclusion of the film, one might ask, “So, what did we gain from this?” Well, we relearned that at the end of any successful exorcism, the film would automatically instill a peaceful and a settling mood to the environment. That type of mood is over portrayed in the conclusion, and doesn’t benefit the film at all; it felt forced. We also learned that “jump scares” are still being used as a gimmick these days (yes, there are “jump scares” in this) only to lift audience’s eyelids of slumber. And lastly, if there are occurrences of paranormal activity at any time shown in a horror film, it better had be at night (or in this case, at 3:07 am precisely).
    Which now brings myself to the time to talk about the aspects of the film that I did enjoy, and thought that the film did justice to. The characters in the film are likeable enough to care for (to an extent) the cinematography is some of the best work I’ve seen in most recent years, the first shot and the last shot felt like the two highest points of visual stimulation, the score for the film was nice and booming (although in scene of the exorcism, the film decides to splice it along side with a character searching for someone in another section of the house, which lacks the tension in the score when it shifts back to him). There were a couple of Amityville Horror references that provided some sparks. And the exorcism scene itself was creative and inventive with the environment of which it was set.
    However, the film did not deliver any emotional connection between my associates and I. We found ourselves pointing out (and chuckling about) where the next big scare would be, and we weren’t all that far off for the majority of them. There was only one time that the film caught me off guard. It dealt with the character Lorraine Warren, who was standing outside by the lake (or river) when her husband comes from behind her when, she spots a corpse hanging from the tree behind him, which gave the film some points. The reason the sequence worked as well as it did was due to the time it occurred: MIDDAY. Which is perfect in any horror film to strive for, because it will not be anticipated.
    I went into this film the same way I go into any film these days, which is to go into it without any knowledge of the plot, characters or anything. It is simply the trailers these days that can give away crucial large chucks of the film; thus I avoid them at all costs (though I wouldn’t have felt any more letdown than if I had). A lessor film would have added a cheap jump scare to the ending shot; this one does not, which it earns some more points for that as well.
    Overall, I thought there were various elements of the film that were rather rewarding to its plot. Though the film as a whole, felt somewhat lousy in its execution. Now there are some critics out there that are calling it something like “This generation’s The Exorcist!” It’s a statement that sounds a bit hefty for a film that might not age as well as the classic. In the end, if one were to compare the two, they will find a clear and strong difference between the two films: AUTHENTIC HORROR. Can you guess which one?
  5. Jul 19, 2013
    Like the old-school horror flicks that inspired it, The Conjuring is more of an exercise in palpable tension and mounting dread than outright terror. It is a slow, quiet movie that definitely earns every scare it throws at you. Those suffering heart conditions might want to avoid this one.
  6. Jul 23, 2013
    For a movie with no body count, it was genuinely creepy. Best possession film since the Exorcist. Still deserved its R rating, good pacing and good progression. Only real problem is it felt like a Christian horror movie at times. But not to an extent where it was un watchable.
  7. Aug 15, 2013
    If you're looking for a standard horror flick to watch on a night in then this will do the job well enough but for the most part it's the same cliche horror film that's been done to death a hundred times over. There aren't many original ideas to be found here and most of the 'scary' moments are just jack in the box jumps.
    There are quite a few characters in it (a family of seven, two
    There are quite a few characters in it (a family of seven, two ghostbusters, a police sheriff and some guy with cameras) and none of them have that much depth or personality to the point where most of the cast seem unnecessary. Also some of the acting is pretty bad, particularly the father of the family. When the child actors are upstaging the adults then that's not a good sign.
    One thing that I keep seeing in horror films is pianos! Why does every haunted house have a piano? And why to ghosts always feel the need to play it? I want to see a horror film where they find a dusty old Gibson in the basement and in the middle of the night everyone is woken up by the opening riff to sweet child of mine. It might not be scary at least it would be something that hasn't bee done before unlike pretty much everything in this film.
    Overall this might be a good time sink if you're bored at home but if you're a horror fan then this isn't going to stay with you for long.
  8. Jul 20, 2013
    Why was this movie rated R? There was nothing scary or creepy about this movie and the jump scares were completely ineffective. I'm glad I only paid the matinée price. So disappointing.
  9. Aug 3, 2013
    The fact that this piece of crap, generic, been done before film with glaring mistakes is getting fantastical reviews truly leaves me scared for my fellow human beings on metacritic.
  10. Jul 20, 2013
    "The Conjuring" with its based on a real story premise, attempts to revive the often over-saturated demonic horror genre market and inspire new frights. The film establishes its tale in a very classical horror formula, slow, tantalizing build up with loud (sometimes annoying) string music that teases one's nerves as the audience watch a family being terrorized by demonic presence(s). The"The Conjuring" with its based on a real story premise, attempts to revive the often over-saturated demonic horror genre market and inspire new frights. The film establishes its tale in a very classical horror formula, slow, tantalizing build up with loud (sometimes annoying) string music that teases one's nerves as the audience watch a family being terrorized by demonic presence(s). The story is also decidedly classic and certainly has been done before but rather than wasting time on the 'what' (ie: what is haunting them), the film does a good job where the majority of the story-line is focused on the 'how' (how to solve the problem). It is here where the slow/sluggish build up gives way to a torrent of thrills. Although most of the cinematic shots were impressive and the overall production design and atmosphere does its job splendidly, the film did not generate the frights that I was expecting. Too often, the frights came in the standard horror formula where people are already expecting something to appear. I also watched the film in a full theatre with my fellow cinema-goers ooing and ahhing at every corner which totally dis-immersed my experience and definitely altered my experience for the worse. This is definitely one film where I would advise dodging the crowded opening weekend and instead watching it with a group of friends in a empty theater for a far more immerse experience.

Otherwise, expect a formula-driven fright film enveloped in classic horror sequence of the past.
  11. Jul 19, 2013
    Despite having a fairly standard haunted house horror plot, James Wan has created a fun, scary and beautiful looking movie. In The Conjuring, Wan uses skills learnt directing his previous films and old school 70’s horror tricks to amp up the tension and ensure a sleepless night.
  12. Jul 21, 2013
    What a great film. I'm giving it a 10 because of what it accomplishes. It is a straight-up old school haunted house flick, pulling no new tricks. And the plot is a very simple uphill ramp of gradually building suspense until all heck breaks loose. Yet it does everything well and somehow pulls it off, and manages to feel fresh and compelling. What a surprise!

It's simply an honest

It's simply an honest attempt at telling a scary story within conventional and very familiar bounds. It does so wonderfully, beautifully, and quite artfully. What's not to like? The acting is superb, and each scene is thoughtfully prepared and executed expertly. Good acting, good directing, good scripting, good cinematography, good score.

Horror movies rarely get better than this.
  13. Jul 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So after hearing the reviews and what others had said after they had seen the movie, I was very excited; but after the credits rolled, I was appalled. This movie is a comedy. Why does Hollywood have to take 'based on actual events' and hear poetic license, gimmicks and over glamorize to sell tickets? Was the horrific ordeal the Perron family went through not enough that we had to throw in possession,demonology,paranormal investigations, exorcism AND The Salem Witch Trials? I am a descendent of someone that was killed in the trials and they Do Not need to be glamorized! The only good part of this movie is the portrayal of Ed and Lorraine Warren by Vera Framiga and Patrick Wilson-they showed beautifully the undying love and partnership the two had. That where Lorraine went Ed went. So I ask, why can't Hollywood show a good story anymore with out over CGI'd and gimmicks? Expand
  14. Aug 23, 2013
    I don't understand why people liked this movie. It did not have a single scary moment. The acting was bland and generic, to say the least. The Conjuring is an example of the horror genre is on 21st century life support. What a waste of money!
  15. Jul 27, 2013
    It's a classic. From start to finish, this was true beautiful filmmaking. Two months ago I saw a tv spot of this and I thought this could be really good. I was beyond right. This movie is the Inception of horror movies. It was wonderfully put together and everything seemed to just simply work. You're right in there. Many a movies just present a visual that's symbolic through the writing,It's a classic. From start to finish, this was true beautiful filmmaking. Two months ago I saw a tv spot of this and I thought this could be really good. I was beyond right. This movie is the Inception of horror movies. It was wonderfully put together and everything seemed to just simply work. You're right in there. Many a movies just present a visual that's symbolic through the writing, directing and acting for it's lack of care or passion or vision and just presenting an obviously gimmick picture that's only trying to make cash to give the producers a bigger ego. Now the rare films that actually have passion, care and a vision aren't entirely made to sell tickets. More of, to entertain and satisfy audiences to make the producers feel good to give them a raw feeling, other than the fake feeling of ego boosts, which is utter joy for their inspiring love for film. That's what The Conjuring is all about. It has all the passion, all the care, and all the vision to truly become a great piece of work. It draws you in, and presents a very classic and truly inspiring horror vision that easily got me going with the main titles, which is a small thing but in film the small things are the most important things and become big things in delivering a full, complete impact of a visual. From there on forward, we get phenomenal writing and acting and directing that I would say should be Oscar-worthy. Characters that are relatable and likeable and face empathetic conflicts. It draws you in and makes you believe wants happening on the screen is legit actually happening in front of you. I felt it was real.

The directing of this film was passionate, the writing was unnerving, and the acting was high-caliber and every element aspect of filmmaking fed off each other to make an enthralling harmony of film magic. I wish every film had this. I mean I want to give this a 10/10, I'm not overly-critical, but giving this a 10 would mean comparing it to Citizen Kane or The Godfather. However this is so damn good, I'm giving it a deserving 9/10. In dire specifics, it'd be a 9.2 which is real high. But this is a horror masterpiece.

It ends brilliantly. People misinterpret and misunderstand the fact that horror movies don't necessarily have to contain depressing themes. Isn't that kinda what film-noir is? But this stinger believes in delivering a movie, with a horror genre, with an original theme. I mean there's emotion in this. There's a flashback sequence towards the climax that brings a forgotten light in the visual that sustained darkness for the primary portion of the final act that gave me hope, care, and true feeling for these characters, and ultimately belief and inspiration for horror movies and in movies once again. I love it when movies have that and do that, and whenever they do, I'm inspired and obsessed. In this case, possessed.

The movie felt so genuine, so real, and so authentic that (since it's based on a true story) when they showed the actual people who experienced this, I was truly haunted than I already was. They had to put the stinger in there to make it even more real than it was. Oh, man I couldn't sleep.

This is a true horror movie and as a summer movie, it's the most inspiring and well put together since Inception. I mean it. The ending was a signature of pure artistry. Like Inception. I don't care if you hate horror movies and/or the stereotype has brainwashed your opinion, GO SEE THIS NOW!!!!!
  16. Sep 19, 2013
    Honestly do not see how it's so critically acclaimed nor why users seem to like it so much. It was a very generic paranormal film that was not scary at all. Sort of disappointing considering it's directed by James Wan and starring Patrick Wilson, who were great together in Insidious.
  17. Jul 21, 2013
    Going into this movie I was expecting something that would have me on the edge of my seat, but to be honest this movie was nothing more than any other "horror film" nothing but a few jump scares. It wasn't terrible, just way to predictable.
  18. Nov 2, 2013
    For the first time in a long time The Conjuring gives horror movies a chance to be good again. Everything from the score, to the cinematography, to a well though out story came together brilliantly to provide for a truly horrifying film.
  19. Aug 4, 2013
    The Conjuring has genuinely terrifying set piece moments, is decently shot and can by no means be described as a bad film. However, it falls into the trap that oh so many horrors before it has done by relying on excessive loud noise and hackneyed clichés to maintain attention throughout.

For these reasons, it cannot be placed in the upper echelons of horror movie classics, but it does deserve a solid place in the second tier.
  20. Jul 21, 2013
    Not sure how this got an R rating...there was no bad language...no one ever really feels like something terrible is going to happen to them, there are few good creepy scenes and a couple of good jump scares using scary faces, the atmosphere is good but I was waiting for this film to really kick in.
  21. Aug 10, 2013
    Now this is a scary movie. It may not be an original movie, but it succeeds at scary the living crap out of people! Overall, The horror genre is back! Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  22. Sep 28, 2013
    James Wan is a master. I haven't watched many films that he has made but the conjuring is just epic. The first hour it just builds the whole thing and in the second hour true horror comes in the screen. From the first scene, I knew that this movie is going to make me bricks. And of course I was correct. Something really impressive was the actors and the cinematography of the film. LiliJames Wan is a master. I haven't watched many films that he has made but the conjuring is just epic. The first hour it just builds the whole thing and in the second hour true horror comes in the screen. From the first scene, I knew that this movie is going to make me bricks. And of course I was correct. Something really impressive was the actors and the cinematography of the film. Lili Taylor and Vera Farmiga were stunning. As for the cinematography I doubt that there is going to be a better film with that cinematography. Though it has no originality it gives to a horror fan what really wanted for many years. I don't think that there is going to be such a good horror movie in years. Thumbs up! 9,5/10 Expand
  23. Aug 3, 2013
    Before saying that The Conjuring is terrifying as hell, it is extremely disturbing and manipulative. With its own twist and story it delivers a thrilling ride through hell, this is one of the best movies of 2013, more off, it is scariest than The Evil Dead remake. On the other hand, I felt like there is no haunted house horror movie those days, that can work without the usual, predictableBefore saying that The Conjuring is terrifying as hell, it is extremely disturbing and manipulative. With its own twist and story it delivers a thrilling ride through hell, this is one of the best movies of 2013, more off, it is scariest than The Evil Dead remake. On the other hand, I felt like there is no haunted house horror movie those days, that can work without the usual, predictable and kind of annoying cliches! For Example: birds are breaking their nicks by hitting the house! Didn't we see it in The Last Exorcism Part II and before it Dark Skies? Doors slamming, like always, and thanks for the franchise that is known for doors slamming, and it worked and terrified us every time "Paranormal Activity" Can't James wan makes the door break after slamming, or just doesn't slam the door at all? I think he can do just way to more better, I actually blame him much because it was based on true story but not EVENTS, even though it isn't right if you have the accurate events. It is sometimes predictable and references much past horror movies ex: Poltergeist, Insidious, Paranormal Activity, Sinister, Drag me to hell and much more. But does make The Conjuring even close of being bad? Absolutely not! The cast is terrific, Vera Farmiga is hot and the plot is a through back to the '70s, it is not a bad movie, but not great one either but awfully close of being my favourite movie of 2013, if it wasn't for the cliches, it would have gotten a ten, but unfortunately, those cliches exist and I hate them, although some of them work, but not all of them. The Conjuring is the best horror movie 2013 and one of my favorite horror movies. I would highly recommend seeing it in theaters, IF YOU DARE! Expand
  24. Jul 20, 2013
    With minimal CGI, minimal jump scares, and awesome acting, James Wan's "The Conjuring" stands out as an awesome, original film. It's the kind of scary that gets under your skin and makes you feel very uncomfortable. Such a fun time in the movie theatre! Go watch this movie and have as much fun as I did!
  25. Jul 27, 2013
    I watched The Conjuring Movie and saw that it was based on a true story that happened in Harrisville Rhode Island, so I decided to go check out the old farm house. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okCr61sYpsI
  26. Jul 31, 2013
    It's been a damn long time since I was creeped out at home after a movie, so I am very happy to say that after going to see The Conjuring I was jumping at shadows and looking over my shoulder for 3 or 4 days! Weird things would happen, like a fan that kept falling off the windowsill or my wife waking up in the middle of the night talking about "that terrible noise" when I had been layingIt's been a damn long time since I was creeped out at home after a movie, so I am very happy to say that after going to see The Conjuring I was jumping at shadows and looking over my shoulder for 3 or 4 days! Weird things would happen, like a fan that kept falling off the windowsill or my wife waking up in the middle of the night talking about "that terrible noise" when I had been laying there reading and it was quiet. I just about lost it when my wife and kid left to go to the store, and the fire alarms in the house started going off randomly in short bursts. I noticed that the alarms were always 3 beeps... like the knocks in the movie! It was probably just some sort of low battery warning. But I really wanted to not be in the house! I've calmed down since seeing the movie and everything seems rational again, but it really was an effective movie at raising one's paranoia and making you think "Yeah, I know that stuff never happens... but what if it did?".

Great pacing, good jump scares, good slow build scares. The only complaint might be that there seemed to be two different stories told the investigator couple, and the haunted family. Or from the perspective of evil entities, Annabelle the haunted doll and the nasty old lady who haunted the house. The movie tried to reconcile all of these things but it never felt like they tied together 100%.

The cats are running back and forth upstairs and writing about this movie is not helping me think about it in a rational manner. I'm logging off and going to bed, with the lights on!
  27. Aug 9, 2013
    This is the first movie to make me shout at the theaters.The story is great at the same time creepy.Not many horror movies I watch is that scary.I proclaim this movie as the scariest movie I've ever watched.
  28. Aug 14, 2013
    Being a horror film fanatic, The Conjuring was a must see from the coming attractions, it had a vintage, nostalgic feel of such classic horror pictures including Poltergeist and The Exorcism, with some great people involved, both in front of and behind the camera. The film delivered in all the aspects it was set to deliver and then some. The Conjuring never really TERRIFIED me, as most ofBeing a horror film fanatic, The Conjuring was a must see from the coming attractions, it had a vintage, nostalgic feel of such classic horror pictures including Poltergeist and The Exorcism, with some great people involved, both in front of and behind the camera. The film delivered in all the aspects it was set to deliver and then some. The Conjuring never really TERRIFIED me, as most of the really good scares were shown in the trailer, but it was effective. The Conjuring was a thrill ride from the opening scene in which we get a little backstory with the story of a haunted doll, to the very end, where, well, that's for you to find out. The lead actors, a couple played by Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga, both played their roles very well, and director James Wan, previously known for his involvement in Insidious and the Saw franchise, lead the actors to be successful. The script was something I had a bit of a problem with yes, there were some very effective scares and in a horror movie, that's the primary target. Yet, this film is pretty much your typical cookie-cutter haunted house story, with some good acting and decent thrills. All in all, The Conjuring is a fresh addition to the very stale horror genre. Expand
  29. Jan 5, 2014
    Estamos ante, lo que parece, la mejor película de terror del año. En verdad, en mucho tiempo yo no veía una película de terror de esta magnitud, sustos bien logrados por todas partes, escenas perturbadoras, un verdadero argumento basado en hechos reales, y lo más importante, sin caer en lo absurdo. La verdad esta y otras películas como la saga de "Saw", "Insidious", la película "DeadEstamos ante, lo que parece, la mejor película de terror del año. En verdad, en mucho tiempo yo no veía una película de terror de esta magnitud, sustos bien logrados por todas partes, escenas perturbadoras, un verdadero argumento basado en hechos reales, y lo más importante, sin caer en lo absurdo. La verdad esta y otras películas como la saga de "Saw", "Insidious", la película "Dead Silence" y muchas más por venir, convierten a James Wan en uno de los pioneros del horror moderno entre Rob Zombie y Sam Raimi. Lástima que se este interesando en otro tipo de películas (Fast & Furious 7), pero ya esperaremos a otra más de sus brillantes películas de terror. Me inclino hacia este proyecto; un sólido 8. Expand
  30. Sep 3, 2013
    I'm not a huge fan of horror, but I did enjoy James Wan's last movie (Insidious) enough to bring me back for this one. I'm glad I did, because The Conjuring is by far the best movie I've seen this year. It does a great job at maintaining tension throughout almost the entire movie. There are plenty of scares, and none of them feel cheesy or forced. I also loved the way this movie looks:I'm not a huge fan of horror, but I did enjoy James Wan's last movie (Insidious) enough to bring me back for this one. I'm glad I did, because The Conjuring is by far the best movie I've seen this year. It does a great job at maintaining tension throughout almost the entire movie. There are plenty of scares, and none of them feel cheesy or forced. I also loved the way this movie looks: the cinematography is great, and they really captured the era (early 70's). Long story short: Go see it. Expand
  31. Jul 23, 2013
    A family (Lili Taylor, Ron Livingston 5 daughters) moves into a new home and almost immediately becomes terrorized by a demonic presence. Who u gonna call? An expert couple (Vera Farmiga & Patrick Wilson) arrives to exorcise the property. Even though there are some twists on the usual scares, this is pretty much a by-the-numbers haunting with a sadly trite finish. A cast of good actorsA family (Lili Taylor, Ron Livingston 5 daughters) moves into a new home and almost immediately becomes terrorized by a demonic presence. Who u gonna call? An expert couple (Vera Farmiga & Patrick Wilson) arrives to exorcise the property. Even though there are some twists on the usual scares, this is pretty much a by-the-numbers haunting with a sadly trite finish. A cast of good actors adds to the tension, but it's just a lot of bumps in the nite. Maybe I'm jaded or too experienced with the genre, but I was never scared or surprised. Expand
  32. Jul 31, 2013
    Amityville meets the Exorcist. Although this movie is being hyped as one of the scariest ever, it wasn't that scary for me. I hate gory films, and thankfully this film is not in that category. You might scream from the suspense, but not from cheap gore. The acting and writing is good across the board, and in general people don't do stupid things like walk into dark rooms withoutAmityville meets the Exorcist. Although this movie is being hyped as one of the scariest ever, it wasn't that scary for me. I hate gory films, and thankfully this film is not in that category. You might scream from the suspense, but not from cheap gore. The acting and writing is good across the board, and in general people don't do stupid things like walk into dark rooms without turning on lights, or back up to a window. They pretty much behave normally with only one exception that I won't give away (it has to do with the mother and the cellar). I had goosebumps throughout the movie and thought it had just enough of a scare factor to make it fun. A nice creepy time at the movies. Expand
  33. Nov 19, 2013
    Without a doubt the scariest horror movie I have ever seen. After Insidious I was sure that James Wan could pull of a great horror movie, and I was right. Once again pairing with Patrick Wilson, James Wan creates a down-right terrifying possession flick that will give you chills, put you one the edge of your seat, and leave you gasping for air. I'm not typically scared during horror moviesWithout a doubt the scariest horror movie I have ever seen. After Insidious I was sure that James Wan could pull of a great horror movie, and I was right. Once again pairing with Patrick Wilson, James Wan creates a down-right terrifying possession flick that will give you chills, put you one the edge of your seat, and leave you gasping for air. I'm not typically scared during horror movies and I was terrified. Once the film gets going it does not stop, providing scare after scare after scare.

The problem with it is that it does take a little bit to get going. Not as long as other horror movies take, but it does take some time. Another issue are the unintentionally funny moments that plagued Wan's previous work "Insidious" are here as well. There is also the occasional lull between scares that just left me bored. These lulls aren't frequent or long, but they do get in the way. Overall though this a genuinely good horror movie that does something most other so called horror movies fail to do; provide genuine terror.

In my opinion James Wan might just be the best horror movie director out there. With this and Insidious he has proven to me that he knows how to create good horror movies and I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with next. If you're looking for a genuinely scary horror movie then this is a great choice. It has got some issues but that doesn't change the fact that this movie is not just scary, but also terrifying.
  34. Sep 2, 2013
    People in my cinema were laughing just to feel comfortable, this movie will scare you for good, probably one of the best horror movies in the last decade, a must watch for every horror fan out there.
  35. Jul 20, 2013
    I don't have to write a long review on this. I can sum it up in a few words: the most terrifying film I've ever seen since the Exorcist (1973). I love horror movies, been watching them by myself since I was 4 and I have to say, do not see this alone like I did. The acting is good, the special effects (when necessary) were good, the storyline was fantastic, & the movie came together well.
  36. Jul 19, 2013
    It may unfortunately lack in scares and may have one silly moment, but it is saved by beautiful cinematography, nice sound design, blood-curdling tension, fantastic acting and a nice retro and old fashioned feel. If the film managed to have more scares, James Wan's fantastic The Conjuring would have got a full score.
  37. Jul 25, 2013
    I saw this movie last weekend and, whoa!, scary scary. I know it's based on a true story but Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga are awesome! It takes the movie a little while to really pick up. They lay the ground work for the first hour but what comes later is well worth the wait. Definitely one I'll purchase for my Halloween and late nite collection.
  38. Jul 21, 2013
    The Conjuring can easily be described as the best horror movie of the year, thus far. That would be an accurate description. The influence of old-school horror movies of the past was present in this movie. Unlike most horror movies today, the scares here are earned and aren't forced. They're well placed, and at times, random. While it wasn't the best of horror films, this one easily takesThe Conjuring can easily be described as the best horror movie of the year, thus far. That would be an accurate description. The influence of old-school horror movies of the past was present in this movie. Unlike most horror movies today, the scares here are earned and aren't forced. They're well placed, and at times, random. While it wasn't the best of horror films, this one easily takes the cake as the best one this year, hell, its even arguably the best one of this year, and last year. No blood & gore like director James Wan is known for with the massively popular Saw movie. Despite its flaws, the good outweighs the bad, and is definitely the next movie you should go see. Expand
  39. Jul 20, 2013
    With James Wan's signature penchant for tension, a serious devotion to story and character, and an unexpectedly crowd-pleasing ending, "The Conjuring" is a horror movie with absolute class and refinement.
  40. Sep 10, 2013
    I haven't liked a horror movie in a long time and I'm pleased to say that that period is over. The scares were calculated and chilling. The mood was consistent and did not let up. The acting was OK. It felt like I was watching a historical movie. It was cleverly shot. But I have a problem with the ending. It could have been more pessimistic. But given that the director wanted to makeI haven't liked a horror movie in a long time and I'm pleased to say that that period is over. The scares were calculated and chilling. The mood was consistent and did not let up. The acting was OK. It felt like I was watching a historical movie. It was cleverly shot. But I have a problem with the ending. It could have been more pessimistic. But given that the director wanted to make something more than just a horror flick, that is understandable. Do not miss this. Collapse
  41. Dec 26, 2013
    Finally a horror movie that's actually decent! No, it's not anywhere near perfect. There are still some lines and scenes that are laughable at best. But there are some other ones that actually manage to creep you out. I wouldn't call the movie terrifying, but a couple of the characters actually have some personality and depth to them, and the direction is also pretty competent most ofFinally a horror movie that's actually decent! No, it's not anywhere near perfect. There are still some lines and scenes that are laughable at best. But there are some other ones that actually manage to creep you out. I wouldn't call the movie terrifying, but a couple of the characters actually have some personality and depth to them, and the direction is also pretty competent most of the time. This helped me to become mildly, but not drastically, engaged with the story. It really isn't original at all, but you can tell that some thought went into its creation, and that gives it a noticeable advantage on its genre peers. I still wouldn't expect anything come Oscar season though. It's efficiently entertaining, but it's nothing masterful. Expand
  42. Jul 30, 2013
    I love horror pictures and whenever a new one is release I see it, and The Conjuring is the first one that has scared me s***less since Paranormal Activity.
  43. Jul 31, 2013
    Firstly the fact that this one's a true story leads the viewers to expect a lot from the story line than they usually would from a fiction. Hence the first impression, the opening 30 min. are always important as that is often decides the fate of the movie in such True Story based films. This movie starts off brilliantly. It does not scare you off or try to be cynical. The first 20 min.Firstly the fact that this one's a true story leads the viewers to expect a lot from the story line than they usually would from a fiction. Hence the first impression, the opening 30 min. are always important as that is often decides the fate of the movie in such True Story based films. This movie starts off brilliantly. It does not scare you off or try to be cynical. The first 20 min. just gives you the hunch that this movie is going to create an impact and you know it right there that this is not one of those typical overdone horror flicks. The movie then rapidly picks up pace just refusing to stop and give you a break. The ending is well constructed nothing highly dramatic or depressing. Ends where it has to, when it has to. The set,the cast,the makeup is spot on. Though if there's one thing missing it has to the be the lighting which is just not bright enough. But that really doesn't matter cause the plot is just fabulous. This movie truly has what it takes to be one of the best horror movies of all time. Expand
  44. Jul 24, 2013
    The Conjuring was filmed very well. James Wan has created a very realistic vision of a possession type of film. Incredible casting. Definetely will recommend this movie to others.
  45. Jul 19, 2013
    This is a superb horror film mainly because of the brilliant directing of James Wan and a great score. Wan is easily one of the best horror directors going today with Saw, Insidious, and now The Conjuring. Also I really thought Versa Farmiga and Lily Taylor gave the standout performances. I don't get shaken easily, but I got to say it got me a few times. A
  46. Jul 21, 2013
    It is definitely the best horror of the decade!!! Full package great acting, super immersive action, interesting plot! The only week point is that the ending happened very rapidly! Great horror movie
  47. Oct 14, 2013
    el conjuro, Expediente Warren y entre otros nombres es lo que revoluciona el terror hacia algo mejor, esta pelicula esta bien realizada con unos 20 millones bien aprovechados y con un toque de tipico y unico terror
  48. Aug 15, 2013
    Now this is a horror movie the best I've seen in 2013 James Wan is a great director He Gives us great gems like Insidious And Saw now this movie has a borrows for some movies but it it worth it in the end the scares come and the come good not quick fire jumps like every 2 seconds I mean you think is coming and some else happens instead. The Cast are great Paddy Wilson was good my advice goNow this is a horror movie the best I've seen in 2013 James Wan is a great director He Gives us great gems like Insidious And Saw now this movie has a borrows for some movies but it it worth it in the end the scares come and the come good not quick fire jumps like every 2 seconds I mean you think is coming and some else happens instead. The Cast are great Paddy Wilson was good my advice go see this now you will be forever change Expand
  49. Aug 3, 2013
    Best horror film I have ever seen, kept me on my toes the entire time, filled with amazing scares that had the whole cinema screaming in terror. The plot was great and was developed very well, with great suspense throughout the entire film.
  50. Oct 2, 2013
    It has its moments,But overall its dull and like they tried to hard to make it scary which ruined it in my opinion,Its more gross and disturbing than thrilling or scary,definitely no hair raising moments for me.The worst Paranormal activity was still better than this movie.
  51. Nov 2, 2013
    One of the rare films I found truly scary and truly captivating. Well worth the watch for horror lovers. Not sure why reviews have to be fifty characters long...
  52. Jul 20, 2013
    THE CONJURING This is not "Saw", "Friday, the 13th" or other slasher fare. Instead, think "Amityville Horror" meets "The Exorcist". Director James Wan takes you to your seat's edge early on and keeps you there in this retro-thriller.

Scary? Absolutely! but the characters are well-developed and the principal actors (Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Ron Livingston, and Lili Taylor) are all terrific. Did I mention it was scary? I think it's time to watch a double-feature of "Hairspray" and "Grease". ***1/2 (out of 4)
  53. Aug 20, 2013
    I never watched the trailers because I knew that were some scary scenes from the movie that was used in the trailers, I wanted to cover my eyes and to experience the scary ride without being spoiled by the trailers. The biggest question that I had when I was about to watch the movie was that would it be scary enough for me to walk away? There were scenes that gave me chills and sometimesI never watched the trailers because I knew that were some scary scenes from the movie that was used in the trailers, I wanted to cover my eyes and to experience the scary ride without being spoiled by the trailers. The biggest question that I had when I was about to watch the movie was that would it be scary enough for me to walk away? There were scenes that gave me chills and sometimes made me back away but it wasn't super scary that I hoped it could have been. The movie has good acting and a decent story to make it a chilling story. The thing that really made my skin crawl was that this was based on a true story and the movie did a good job of making that story, into a movie that will appeal to all horror fans. Of course it still has a lot of characters that had short development and some that didn't really have one. Some scenes that could have been removed and that it just made the movie a bit dragging. The movie was still a decent horror movie and I am going to give The Conjuring a 7/10. Expand
  54. Aug 28, 2013
    The conjuring has a positive opening catching attention of the viewers. The Sound mixing and Sound track is amazing although it is a bit exaggerated. Overall the movie is good and gives viewers a good scare.
  55. Jul 19, 2013
    Legitimately the best horror movie in the last 30 years. The Conjuring conjures up the same type of atmosphere as the horror greats in the 70s and early 80s. The scares come continuously, and the story is well written and acted. The characters are relatable and well formed. Very strongly recommend!
  56. Jul 22, 2013
    Take a bunch of horror cliches, throw in unnecessary side stories, remove what suspense there is by bringing in "ghost hunters," stir and fall asleep.
  57. Jul 24, 2013
    Probably the thing that i enjoyed the most was leaving the cinema having the feeling that for a change i was not treated as retarded just because i like the horror genre, thanks for a well done movie, good actors and performance.

the story is fairly simple, but is all the rest what makes this a great film. Sequel with the same quality? yes please! And for people wandering if it worth

And for people wandering if it worth the chance watching it, be sure that any movie (that is not part of a cult start trek/star wars, etc) that has better reviews from the users than the critic it worth the time watching.
  58. Jul 29, 2013
    Wow! This was scary. I normally don't dig horror films because I'm hard to scare but James Wan (director of "Saw") crafted a horror film about ghosts that felt real and authentic--and this is coming from a guy who doesn't even believe in the supernatural! He perfectly used light, shadow and sound to make chilling sequences and the pace Wan brought to the film made scares that got betterWow! This was scary. I normally don't dig horror films because I'm hard to scare but James Wan (director of "Saw") crafted a horror film about ghosts that felt real and authentic--and this is coming from a guy who doesn't even believe in the supernatural! He perfectly used light, shadow and sound to make chilling sequences and the pace Wan brought to the film made scares that got better and more frightening as the film progressed. Not to mention, terrific performances all around from the entire cast. Expand
  59. Aug 31, 2013
    If you despise dolls but love horror films, watch this one.
    A lot of the time I wasn't on the edge of my seat, but sometimes it just gets you.
    Fairly good in terms of most horrors, falls a bit short on occasion and the constant jump scares is a bit repetitive, but a good watch
    I recommend
  60. Sep 15, 2013
    The Conjuring is quite possibly the best horror movie of the past 5 or so years. I've been watching horror movies for 15+ years now, and nothing scared me quite as bad as this one. Too scary to move to the edge of your seat, but too intense to sit back. The only other option was to curl up in my seat while being bombarded with a fantastic story and scare tactics beyond the averageThe Conjuring is quite possibly the best horror movie of the past 5 or so years. I've been watching horror movies for 15+ years now, and nothing scared me quite as bad as this one. Too scary to move to the edge of your seat, but too intense to sit back. The only other option was to curl up in my seat while being bombarded with a fantastic story and scare tactics beyond the average possession tale. It's too unique of a horror movie to miss. Expand
  61. Nov 5, 2013
    I'm an avid horror fan. Lately I've been thinking there isn't much that can scare me (though Sinister got under my skin). I appreciate James Wan's films, I love the first Saw, Insidious was a damn good modern ghost story, but like all reviews have stated for it, the movie kinda loses it's momentum in the final act.

The Conjuring is better, scarier, and more tense than Insidious. I'm

The Conjuring is better, scarier, and more tense than Insidious. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's one of the best horror movies of the last 5 or 10 years. It goes back to the classic rule of horror film making, never show the bad guy fully to your audience. Plus this movie knows suspense, I tell you, I almost threw a water bottle at the screen from sheer terror once the scare finally happened. There are no fake jump scares, the movie earned an R rating without any blood, sex, or profanity, it's all from the terror that this movie builds upon.

Not only is the movie scary, but as a film itself, it's almost a masterpiece. The script, acting, direction, style, tone, etc were all simply top notch. Wan's camera-work here is by far his best out of any of his movies. The choice to set the movie in the 70s was a stroke of genius as it feels so authentic and all the more real. If this story were set in the present, it simply wouldn't be as a effective or scary. The 70s style film making, costuming, and hair styling are a great throwback to likes of The Exorcist & The Amityville Horror.

Though there are a few (extremely minor) flaws, such are length, repetitiveness, and a resolution that happens way too fast. I don't care, every horror movie (or movie in general) has it's flaws. There will never be a perfect horror movie, if there is one, I haven't seen it yet. But all I know is James Wan's The Conjuring is one of the best horror movies I've seen in a long time, and it's been a really long time that a movie has scared me this badly.

10/10 Don't miss this one, it's an amazing theater viewing experience.
  62. Nov 7, 2013
    This movie is definitely one of the best horror movies I have seen so far. I was a bit skeptical at first of this movie, but once it started, I could not keep my eyes off the screen. It was definitely a better movie to see than "My Little Pony: Equestria Girls". I can't wait for James Wan's next installment in the Warren paranormal investigators saga.
  63. Dec 13, 2013
    The Conjuring thrills with its countless scares and tense atmosphere. Solid acting and great cinematography only excels this as a thoroughly enjoyable (and old-school) horror flick.
  64. Apr 28, 2014
    The same old generic story of a family moving into a house that is apparently haunted by a demon wasn't anything new. But it was pretty effective in scares. I was surprisingly satisfied with this film. The characters were fairly developed and the acting was great especially the kids. This movie offered scares and unsettling. I definitely recommend this film for those looking for horrifying thrill.
  65. Jul 6, 2014
    When it comes to the horror genre and even the drama genre for that matter, "The Conjuring" gets a lot right. Physically, this film is shot so beautifully with constantly changing angles and dramatic zooms in and out of frame. The set design and costumes were also integral to the look and chilling atmosphere of the film.
    This is probably the most thrilling, beautifully shot, and most
    This is probably the most thrilling, beautifully shot, and most traumatizing horror films in recent memory.
  66. Sep 2, 2014
    "The Conjuring" is one of the better supernatural films to come out in the last few years. It's scary, intriguing, and highly enjoyable. The movie has a very 70's feel to it, especially the cinematography, and the story is pretty simple, yet it flows very well. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga are great together as the Warrens. Really, the entire cast was great. This is a great movie to"The Conjuring" is one of the better supernatural films to come out in the last few years. It's scary, intriguing, and highly enjoyable. The movie has a very 70's feel to it, especially the cinematography, and the story is pretty simple, yet it flows very well. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga are great together as the Warrens. Really, the entire cast was great. This is a great movie to watch and get scared with your friends. I highly recommend it. Expand
  67. Oct 8, 2014
    Pass on Annabelle and watch this movie again. This was the first horror movie I've seen with such amazing production values, but it was kept at an affordable price for a film that had as much talent as this one did; and it made millions because it was actually scary, and actually well written. The Conjuring is full of scary moments that show how scary demon possession is, there is noPass on Annabelle and watch this movie again. This was the first horror movie I've seen with such amazing production values, but it was kept at an affordable price for a film that had as much talent as this one did; and it made millions because it was actually scary, and actually well written. The Conjuring is full of scary moments that show how scary demon possession is, there is no hidden agenda and the demons don't come off as pompous idiots who just mess with you. These demons mentally destroyed these people beyond repair. Expand
  68. Dec 14, 2013
    Scary? For me, not really. If you were scared watching Paranormal Activity, then this film will probably scare you. I did find the film interesting though. Went online afterwords to research the story and authenticity of the film version.
  69. Aug 3, 2013
    Being a huge fan of Jame Wan's I was looking forward to this film and it didn't disappoint at all. Unlike Insidious it has a very authentic, old school horror feel about it. There's a nice, gradual build up to things going wrong, with some good character development and scene setting going on. Then, when it starts kicking off, as you'd expect from Wan it soon gets to a point where yourBeing a huge fan of Jame Wan's I was looking forward to this film and it didn't disappoint at all. Unlike Insidious it has a very authentic, old school horror feel about it. There's a nice, gradual build up to things going wrong, with some good character development and scene setting going on. Then, when it starts kicking off, as you'd expect from Wan it soon gets to a point where your nerves are being bludgeoned with horrific imagery and concepts. I'm so glad this Director exits because we rarely get a horror masterpiece like this on the shelves. A perfect film in every way and boy am I looking forward to Insidious 2. Expand
  70. Aug 2, 2013
    One of the best scary movie I've ever seen! The acting, cinematography and plot are all good! James Wan done some very good job to this movie! I love it!
  71. Aug 15, 2013
    simon abrams and i rarely agree on films, but hes 100 percent correct this time. The movie was long drawn out and boring on two levels. Drugs and or alcohol will not help because through out the movie is a constant irritating noise that will give you a headache. predictable, long, boring, headache...
  72. Aug 29, 2013
    A solid horror movie.
    The conjuring is an old school horror movie where the emphasis is not on blood and gore but on psychological tension. It's one of the best film of 2013 so far.
  73. Aug 5, 2013
    The Conjuring was certainly one of the better releases from the horror genre in the last decade. It was truly terrifying right from the beginning leading to the insane ending. It will make you laugh then 3 seconds later shudder. James Wan really knows how to mess with your emotions. The main reason I liked this film is it is indeed like other demon/possession types of films in certain waysThe Conjuring was certainly one of the better releases from the horror genre in the last decade. It was truly terrifying right from the beginning leading to the insane ending. It will make you laugh then 3 seconds later shudder. James Wan really knows how to mess with your emotions. The main reason I liked this film is it is indeed like other demon/possession types of films in certain ways but with the conjuring you are also being told a great story, unlike other mindless films (The Devil Inside, The Last Exorcism) the conjuring has a great plot. Only bone I had to pick with it was due to the fact I work at a theater I had seen every preview there was for this movie and I saw a lot of the creepier moments coming due to many of them being in the previews but other than that no major issues. It was a great classic horror film, highly recommended in my book. 8/10 Expand
  74. Oct 31, 2013
    Another run of the mill Hollywood cookie cutter ghost story. Branching stories, several of which never get resolved (The first part of the film had absolutely nothing to do with the whole movie!). Some genuine thrilling moments, but overall fall flat jump scares and screamingly generic exorcisms. This film portrays witchcraft, paganism, atheists and non-belivers in a light of evil, andAnother run of the mill Hollywood cookie cutter ghost story. Branching stories, several of which never get resolved (The first part of the film had absolutely nothing to do with the whole movie!). Some genuine thrilling moments, but overall fall flat jump scares and screamingly generic exorcisms. This film portrays witchcraft, paganism, atheists and non-belivers in a light of evil, and Christianity as the faith to save the day and the souls of all infidels. A christian propaganda film as much as a horror film. I would rather watch Paranormal Activity over this. Expand
  75. Sep 10, 2013
    From the mind of the director of Saw, The Conjuring is a film that finds itself in two minds about whether it should be a strict horror film or a family themed one. Eventually the film stops trying to differentiate and just gives up making for an ending so flat its almost as if it doesn't end. The film follows Ed (Patrick Wilson) and Lorraine Warren (Vera Farmiga), a married couple whoFrom the mind of the director of Saw, The Conjuring is a film that finds itself in two minds about whether it should be a strict horror film or a family themed one. Eventually the film stops trying to differentiate and just gives up making for an ending so flat its almost as if it doesn't end. The film follows Ed (Patrick Wilson) and Lorraine Warren (Vera Farmiga), a married couple who work as ghost hunters and are sent to the Perron household where Carolyn (Lili Taylor) and Roger Perron (Ron Livingston) are experiencing odd occurrences that are scaring not only them but their five girls. Filled with some great tension, the opening act of the film is almost like it is from another film as it slowly but surely puts you in a state of unease, one that feels like it isn't going to end leading to a moment so terrifying it will affect some of the most seasoned horror watchers. However after that the scares become more predictable and the timing becomes a lot more conventional as the film transitions into a picture about family where there is no real sense of jeopardy, just two families bonding together which could be interesting if The Conjuring wasn't a horror film. The picture decides to avoid a chilling finale in favour of an action one where everything collectively hits the fan but by doing so have rid the the film of any redemptive features as director James Wan's signature style of raising tension to a boiling point is thrown out of the window in favour of a whole lot of confusion. This balls to the wall conclusion lacks the gravitas of his previous works which is a crying shame indeed. Expand
  76. Jul 25, 2013
    Overall going to have to agree with Ebert on this one, I may be a bit biased in that I don't typically enjoy horror movies to begin with, but our group found this particular outing to be nothing more than a bust. I think our entire audience got more kicks out of my friend trying to wake up our colleague by clapping next to his head than the entirety of what we saw throughout the 2 hourOverall going to have to agree with Ebert on this one, I may be a bit biased in that I don't typically enjoy horror movies to begin with, but our group found this particular outing to be nothing more than a bust. I think our entire audience got more kicks out of my friend trying to wake up our colleague by clapping next to his head than the entirety of what we saw throughout the 2 hour (far too long for so little to be told).

Ebert's description of them cramming story slowly down your throat during every dull moment (70% of the movie is this) is spot on and it never really amounts to much. There's a few things left in the plot to allow for potential sequels, but I don't see the point in making one unless it is livened up quite a bit.

All that being said, the performances by Patrick Wilson and especially Vera Farmiga were good and Lili Taylor was close behind. Ron Livingston's character felt out of place and relatively useless, he just seemed oblivious most of the movie, but I am not entirely sure that is the fault of the actor vs the script in this case as most horror movies tend to remove the focus from the male characters as soon as possible to increase suspense.

TL;DR Save your money, watch it at home.
  77. Aug 14, 2013
    In the spirit of classic horror flicks, The Conjuring is eerily breathtaking and possibly the scariest movie of the year. It plays with the atmosphere so well with lingering shots, clever lighting manipulation, wicked music and timely scare. Not much CG is involved as it practically uses simple tricks to its amazing potential, it's surprising how effective they can be. Screenplay are doneIn the spirit of classic horror flicks, The Conjuring is eerily breathtaking and possibly the scariest movie of the year. It plays with the atmosphere so well with lingering shots, clever lighting manipulation, wicked music and timely scare. Not much CG is involved as it practically uses simple tricks to its amazing potential, it's surprising how effective they can be. Screenplay are done so well, at many occasions it felt as if the theater is frozen at the sight of stunningly ominous scenes. The director, James Wan from Insidious, crafts the movie brilliantly to the point of making these entities and people who are abused by them seemingly real.

Story follows Warrens couple, acclaimed demonologists who attempt to help Perron family as they battle their demonic invaders. Roger and Carolyn Perron with their five children move into a rural home where they are constantly being abused by ghosts of the past. Warrens eventually volunteer to help the family despite their own plaguing problem. The premise is simple, but it is executed with excellence. Characters are interestingly engaging, especially the younger girls, they convey the terror pretty well and the way camera idles around them makes it even more unsettling.

There is little modern influence on the movie, everything looks very archaic, and it's not just limited in the retro setting, but the overall nuance feels much like traditional western horror. The terror works fantastically with whispering ambiance, the slight display of other rooms around the camera angle and how the shadows enchantingly move about. Cinematography looks intentionally old, although it flutters in such precision you'll be involuntarily captivated into searching that strange dark corner where something might just appear.

Its scare utilizes some jump scare as well, but it is not cheap. The director builds up tension masterfully just by tilting the camera or lingering a few more seconds for specific scene. The result is nothing less than a thrill, I found myself shivering in some instances. Soundtracks adds to the horror even more, its hauntingly and somewhat choir-like mumble or inexplicable screeching is immensely frightening, making crawling noises of something that lurks uninvited. Everything is choreographed meticulously without resorting to blood and gore, albeit there is little seeping here.

It's nice to see the old vibe of horror makes its return, James Wan is a talented director and his antique style is remarkably fresh. The main protagonist, Patrick Wilson, who is also involved in Insidious, is looking very comfortable in this genre. I'm excited to see the sequels in near future, but for now The Conjuring will chill your spine delightfully.
  78. Aug 30, 2013
    The Conjuring is a horror film of 2013 directed by James Wan, based on the true events in 1971, with Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson and Lili Taylor.
    The film is about one of the most disturbing cases happened to Mr and Mrs Warren, who are called by the Perron family, terrified because for quite some time in their new home is going something really horrible doors that open themselves from the sun, the mysterious death their dog and presences that do not leave the family in peace. It's up to Ed Warren and Loranne discover and deal with this threat that will prove to be very powerful and ruthless.
    In addition to surprise the huge success it is having in the world in terms of receipts, The Conjuring surprisingly also for the way in which it was made.
    James Wan has improved a lot with the master socket, and if with Insidious had done a great job with this film is even better. Shots really well made and disturbing chills, atmosphere typical of the '80s movie realized with skill that can give a sense of oppression, sound effects typical of the old horror that can make you stop the heart and actors who play really well .
    From the plot, the film seems to be the typical ghost story but it is not. In fact, the film is also the theme of exorcism (it was the time of The Exorcism of Emily Rose, who was not treated so well the genre) and the family that is not trivialized as happens in other movies.
    In the film, there are also tributes to old horror such as The Exorcist but also films like Prince of Darkness and many others.
    A film that uses the tricks of the old school horror in an original way.
  79. Aug 25, 2013
    What started out as a genuine creepy film slowly devolved into your usual run-of-the-mill exorcism later on. The main antagonist is revealed halfway through, ruining the sense of unknown dread and generally playing out the rest of the movie as a drama.
  80. Sep 2, 2014
    The Conjuring is by and far the scariest film of 2013. A film about paranormal investigators (vividly portrayed by Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga), it's chilling and a flashback to early horror flicks.
  81. Dec 9, 2013
    For a genre that almost always gets it wrong, The Conjuring finally gets it right. Not only is it actually scary, but the film also manages to tie in good acting, score, production, and a perfect pace. Something that cannot be said of any other horror movie that comes to mind.
  82. Aug 26, 2013
    The Conjuring is a par movie. The sets and effects was pretty well done and it does a good job with the casting. However, the movie really seems to lack something that separates it from other Exorcism type movies. The story is a bit of a contradiction, as you will learn as you go through it. This particularly ties into the lead characters played by Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga and theirThe Conjuring is a par movie. The sets and effects was pretty well done and it does a good job with the casting. However, the movie really seems to lack something that separates it from other Exorcism type movies. The story is a bit of a contradiction, as you will learn as you go through it. This particularly ties into the lead characters played by Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga and their past that the movie reveals. The movie's pacing is also pretty tiring, something that we've seen time and time again since The Exorcism. If you haven't watched The Exorcism, just watch that. That's the "good" version of this. Expand
  83. Aug 25, 2013
    It's your standard fare "family moves into a house, it's haunted" horror film and that's alright for two reasons 1.) It's done incredibly well and 2.) Number 1 doesn't happen very often.

Forget the stream of garbage that has been hitting the industry lately, The Conjuring is an amazing tale of a family moving into a farm house, only to discover something is lurking in the shadows. A film based off a "true story" from two of America's top most paranormal investigators, Ed and Lorraine Warren.

Everything about this movie is great, the pacing, the atmosphere, the level of anticipation, it's all perfecr and blends well with the amazing story that is being told.

It doesn't matter if what the Warrens said was true or not, it doesn't matter if it's a true story or not, because this is an amazing, rare, masterpiece of a horror film.
  84. Nov 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have to say, I really think the initial teaser trailer was far scarier than the film. The clapping sequence and the doll are both terrifying. However that is where the actuals scares end. Of course there are plenty of jumps throughout, but only the clapping and the doll hold any lasting menace. That is not to say that this isn't an enjoyable film overall, because it is. It's just not quite as scary as it could have been. Expand
  85. Aug 6, 2013
    the plot is something we all seen before but unlike many other movies with a similar plot to this, this movie does everything right and hits every scary note
  86. Dec 31, 2013
    For the record, I am not into horror movies in general. Simply because, they are so overused in the areas of sex, and plenty of to last for the ages. I am not a prude, I enjoy over zealous movies (The Wolf ofWall Street) but I am shocked to say The Conjuring has no profanity, no sex scenes to speak of, and is still rated R. Why? The scares. The lighting. The acting. The direction.For the record, I am not into horror movies in general. Simply because, they are so overused in the areas of sex, and plenty of to last for the ages. I am not a prude, I enjoy over zealous movies (The Wolf ofWall Street) but I am shocked to say The Conjuring has no profanity, no sex scenes to speak of, and is still rated R. Why? The scares. The lighting. The acting. The direction. Absolutely perfect in terms of a watchable horror film. Scary is too much hype. It's frightening in the way that you aren't terrified in the theatre, but at home, Christ...the images of a doll come running back (no, not Chucky) and an esteemed cast that for once, the characters are not unlivable and they're not stupid. It's a bit slow, but rewarding in the end with effects that will shock and a plot that builds over time to a satisfying conclusion.
    You may say that James Wan, the director of Saw, has come to his finest hour with The Conjuring. It's a breezy, effortless film to watch, with popcorn occasionally flying and eyes subsequently being shut. At times, I found myself clinging to the arm of a friend (especially the scene with the old lady and Annabelle, the doll) but it's fun. A real picture that builds up over time, no cheap scares and at last, a movie where you care what happens to the characters. Please see.
  87. Jan 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of those horror movies where everyday stuff turn into nightmares. If you have ever lived in an old house you have experienced strange sounds that can't be explained by normal occurrences. In my opinion this fact is what makes this movie so scary and spooky. Expand
  88. Oct 5, 2013
    I don't watch horror movies too often, though the few I've seen have been either fairly good or absolutely garbage. This is neither and rises to the top of my list as one of the best horror movies I've watched. Excellent acting and the characters are well done, and I actually liked the plot of this one, particularly because it was paced very well. Plenty enough scares for the horror filmI don't watch horror movies too often, though the few I've seen have been either fairly good or absolutely garbage. This is neither and rises to the top of my list as one of the best horror movies I've watched. Excellent acting and the characters are well done, and I actually liked the plot of this one, particularly because it was paced very well. Plenty enough scares for the horror film lover, much of which is achieved by slow moments of rising tension, tense anticipation and plain creepy moments. Recommended. Expand
  89. Aug 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Conjuring promises more than it ultimately delivers, although an effective sense of trepidation is felt throughout. The film is actually at its best in the first hour before all the camera equipment is moved into the house to photograph unfolding events. Maximum tension is eked out of scene after scene and although these occasionally result in some chilling payoffs they are never to jumpy effect. Great camera movements, considered direction and the main house setting create the right atmosphere and all add to the film's success. Likewise, the music and sound effectively jangle the nerves. It is therefore a shame that towards the end things start to get a tad silly. Unintentional laughs are conjured up when Lili Taylor goes in to full possession and we find ourselves in territory derivative from other movies. This, unfortunately, has the effect of undermining some of the good work achieved during the film's careful build up. Expand
  90. Feb 14, 2014
    To be honest, this has to be one of the better horrors I have seen in a while. Granted allot in this movie has been done before and the premise is nothing original, the movie as a whole feels fresh and genuinely scary at points. Rich atmosphere and all round decent acting give this movie the creepy vibe that many other horrors are lacking.

While they could have been a bit more daring

While they could have been a bit more daring and gone deeper with the narrative, I really have no gripes with this movie.

Overall:
    An enjoyable, creepy and highly atmospheric movie and probably the best horror movie of 2013. I loved it.
  91. Aug 4, 2013
    Wow! One of the best Horror films I've seen, let alone this year. From start to finish it draws you in and you are hooked! Such a creative idea and I've never seen this type of Horror film done this well before, because many have attempted and failed. It's creepy atmosphere is done well because it builds from being pretty calm to extremely creepy towards the end. There are jumps galore andWow! One of the best Horror films I've seen, let alone this year. From start to finish it draws you in and you are hooked! Such a creative idea and I've never seen this type of Horror film done this well before, because many have attempted and failed. It's creepy atmosphere is done well because it builds from being pretty calm to extremely creepy towards the end. There are jumps galore and many moments you can't help but look away! Overall a solid Horror film and one of the best I've seen! Expand
  92. pxl
    Aug 27, 2013
    I went out to the cinema for this one and it was well worth the money, the film was great, had the perfect formula for a good horror movie. The problem for me with films like this is that, they struggle to scare me, I really enjoy horror movies but it's rare I am genuinely caught off guard but, this film just had the perfect formula.

1) A creepy music piece (The Jack in the Box) 2) A

1) A creepy music piece (The Jack in the Box)
    2) A creepy item (The doll)
    3) A fear evoking antagonist (You'll see)
  93. Aug 9, 2013
    This movie is awesome. The acting is believable and the scares are done really well. They use alot of jump scares in this movie but they use them in the right way, they build up to what you think is a jump scare but it comes from a different direction and scares the crap out of you. Some may find the ending a bit silly but the whole movie was so entertaining I really didn't care.

If

If your a horror fan or your looking for a movie to make you fill your underwear this movie is for you.
  94. Aug 31, 2014
    "When the music stops, you'll see him in the mirror standing behind you." - April

This is why i love horror movies.One of the best horror movies i ever seen.
  95. Jan 25, 2014
    Now this is a real horror movie! So much scary scenes! The story was intresting, kinda boring at moments but still a great movie to watch! I recommend it if you want to watch a scary movie with less disgusting scenes!
  96. Apr 4, 2014
    Many will try and have you believe that the atomosphere around the movie was terrifying, but I will tell you unless this is the first horror movie you've seen, nothing will scare you or creep you out.

The movie is so unoriginal. There is nothing creative, nor original, and especially not clever in this film. Not the first evil doll, paranormal activity, haunted house, nothing in this movie is good nor interesting. I literally fell asleep, right after my girlfriend. It took me about 5 times to watch the movie entirely. That's 1 more then Avatar.

The films only good aspects are the acting and maybe the directing.
  97. Oct 30, 2013
    I normally don't enjoy horror movies but The Conjuring was fantastic for what it was. This movie really scared me, I watched half of it through my fingers. What makes it even more scary it was based on a real demonologists, they even talked at my local university at the height of their careers. The performances were good for most of the actors and it had a good build up to build suspenseI normally don't enjoy horror movies but The Conjuring was fantastic for what it was. This movie really scared me, I watched half of it through my fingers. What makes it even more scary it was based on a real demonologists, they even talked at my local university at the height of their careers. The performances were good for most of the actors and it had a good build up to build suspense and fear. It's been a few days since I've seen it and I still makes me nervous when I trun off the light. Worth watching if you want a good scare! Expand
  98. Mar 23, 2014
    One of the best horror movies of all time!
    Positives:
    - Excellent Actors
    - Excellent Story
    - Great Atmosphere
    Negatives:
    - Abrupt Ending
    - Based on a true story, even though the story was amazing I'd rather not hear it being based on actual events.
  99. Oct 11, 2014
    Stupid ass movie title! NOTHING is CONJURED in this movie!! Stupid writers and the director should go read a dictionary before slapping the title onto this movie! They also recycle the frickin UV-light **** again.
  100. Aug 12, 2013
    There are some scary moments, but they're mostly jump scares that don't have a lasting affect. The horror fell short for me, but good acting, particularly Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson, prevented it from being a bad movie. Not terrible, but not particularly great. I've seen a lot of better horror movies, but I've seen a lot that are worse. It was par for the course. Watchable, butThere are some scary moments, but they're mostly jump scares that don't have a lasting affect. The horror fell short for me, but good acting, particularly Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson, prevented it from being a bad movie. Not terrible, but not particularly great. I've seen a lot of better horror movies, but I've seen a lot that are worse. It was par for the course. Watchable, but nothing that hasn't been seen before. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Aug 3, 2013
    Wan’s film is a sturdily built supernatural chiller, with next-to-no digital effects or gore, and it delivers its scares with a breezy lack of urgency.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Hartlaub
    Jul 25, 2013
    I'd be shocked if we see a better horror film in 2013.
  3. Reviewed by: Simon Abrams
    Jul 19, 2013
    The Conjuring is as toothless as it is because it's two different kinds of boring. The film's plot is explained exhaustively whenever loud noises aren't blaring, and random objects aren't teasingly leaping out at you from the corner of your eye.