8.3

1. Oct 1, 2010
    Unravels through excellent sound and picture editing, superb acting from Gene Hackman, and of course Coppola; a true auteur of a director who during the same year also made the unforgettable Godfather II.
  2. Jan 12, 2013
    An intelligent slow paced thriller. A very intriguing story line with very good acting across the board. The story slows almost to a crawl during the middle third and came very close to losing my interest. The twist at the end and the intrigue set up at the beginning however are enough to make this a strong watch.
  3. ECW
    Dec 28, 2014
    Good movie..more than ever
    It's a film that addresses the old issue between what should remain in private matter and what should be made public.
    As such, this work reflects on one of the basic rights of human beings: the Privacy ... not in a simplistic way but applying that right with others as the Freedom and Security. It's a movie that could be of this year (2014) or any coming year
    Good movie..more than ever
    It's a movie that could be of this year (2014) or any coming year ... the wikileaks cases of Julian Assange and Edward Snowden prove the timelessness of this work masterfully directed by Francis Ford Coppola ... without any doubt it's his most kafkian film, immersed in anguish where the citizen becomes a pawn piece on the board controlled by the state.
    The interpretation of Gene Hackman is masterful (his best?).
    The end of the film (no happy end) seems to demonstrate that the more we have computer means to ensure our safety ... more defenseless we become. It's the price to pay for such technological advancement.
    What I like most about the film is the feeling of Solitude that runs throughout the film and its main character ...

A 'bitter' irony: bigger and better means of information and communication ... greater solitude.
  4. Jan 5, 2015
    Studied this in film studies and it is my least favourite film of all time. I despise this slow paced film, so dull. I'd rather spend time with Anton Chigurh.

0/10 - Ben Hazelden

1. Reviewed by: Don Druker
    Gene Hackman excels in Francis Ford Coppola's tasteful, incisive 1974 study of the awakening of conscience in an "electronic surveillance technician."
    As he is played by Gene Hackman in The Conversation, an expert wiretapper named Harry Caul is one of the most affecting and tragic characters in the movies.
  3. Reviewed by: Angie Errigo
    Another great, landmark American film of the '70s.