4.2

1. Mar 7, 2012
    The label of "science fiction" doesn't mean you get to do whatever you want and expect audiences to believe it.
  2. Dec 22, 2012
    The story is highly improbable, not credible (pigeons tearing bullet holes through plate glass windows[!?!], hysterical, ill-trained "terranauts", a terraship infinitely more complicated than the "Manhattan Project" built in 90 days, static electrical storms that feature lightning strikes that blow up things instead of going to ground) BUT the story was FUN! It was a hell of a ride if we can turn off our skeptical minds for a couple of hours. The production values were excellent. The principle actors and their director did really well with a comic-book script. Swank, Eckart, Tucci were great and their interplay with the others in the crews of the ship and "Houston-on-Surface" were the credible features of the film.
    Think about it this way: had you gone with your kids, they would have loved it! The "zero" reviewers need to lighten up. My 8 year old gave it a "ten" and her pleasure was good enough for me. I give it a borderline pass and a score of 65.
  3. Apr 6, 2014
    The characters are a bit arrogant and the USA is "of course" the only country, who can save the world. This movie could be more interesting or have a better atmosphere, which I think is quite important for a space movie. The science isn't so important for me since it's still a science-FICTION-movie. But I unfortunately miss a (deep) meaning to this movie.

I don't know why people think
    "Armageddon" would be better. Has it more "cool" scenes? Because unlike it, "The Core" has more serious characters, some mysterious scenes and even a more interesting travel. Why should "Armageddon" deserve some Oscar-nominations and "The Core" not even a simple nomination? Expand

So howlingly awful that it has unwittingly found a place in that elite group of films that can claim to be "so bad they're good."
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    More palatable than most pictures of its ilk due to its keen awareness of its own preposterousness, a self-knowledge exuberantly expressed by a mostly live-wire cast.
  3. Elaborate misfire, which misuses an unusually good cast.