The Core

4.4

1. DanN.
    Apr 4, 2003
    Any experienced moviegoer will be prepared for a cookie-cutter Hollywood movie with a ludicrous plot and outlandish special effects --and this movie lives up to the expectation. But you will leave the theatre very happy with its stellar cast, non-stop fun factor and surprising likeability. I expected sh.t but saw gold.
  2. Jovi
    Mar 31, 2003
    Although it tries to be like ID4 and Armageddon, this want to be Jules Verne Journey to the Center of the Earth was not bad. It is cheesy and the science of it all is questionable, however, it delivers fun and good special effects. What really helps the film is the cast. Solid acting from most and the dialogue is at times quick and funny. Worth the matinee price, and worth the time.
  3. LeeF.
    Mar 30, 2003
    I happen to feel that I am reasonably intelligent and am a college grad (altho those two don't always go hand in hand) . Therefore, I realize that NONE of this could ever happen or take place. But who cared!!! My friend and I had a great time and it was enjoyable. We were entertained completely and didn't realize 2h 15m went by. Go see it and don't worry about reality. I I happen to feel that I am reasonably intelligent and am a college grad (altho those two don't always go hand in hand) . Therefore, I realize that NONE of this could ever happen or take place. But who cared!!! My friend and I had a great time and it was enjoyable. We were entertained completely and didn't realize 2h 15m went by. Go see it and don't worry about reality. I mean, when you think about it, how real is ANY movie, even the 'serious' ones??? The goal of any movie is to entertain. And we were! Expand
  4. JaredC.
    Dec 12, 2007
    Sometimes these ratings just don't make sense to me. Sure it was an all right science fiction depiction. The beginning kind of took its time and the only problem is that they didn't actually launch the ship until past half way through. And then they sped through a quick adventure through the core. The film was exciting and dull at the same time, its kind of cool how the director Sometimes these ratings just don't make sense to me. Sure it was an all right science fiction depiction. The beginning kind of took its time and the only problem is that they didn't actually launch the ship until past half way through. And then they sped through a quick adventure through the core. The film was exciting and dull at the same time, its kind of cool how the director wishes to kill everyone off, well it still was a good sci-fi film. But I totally disagree with these reviews given here. Just a pretty good movie with a disappointing plot. Expand
  5. Furbydude
    Dec 14, 2007
    rated best for the amazing effects and twists and funny bits, but worst due to nonsensical bits which in fact, the mantle cant stop spinning for no reason at least it was good although somewhat scary. despite the plot holes and badly done bits, it was, in fact, AWESOME!!!!
  6. AlexandraE.
    Nov 4, 2008
    This movie was a fast. Quick, pace thriller. I cannot believe the awful reviews they gave tom this movie. I loved it. I really did. The Core showed me that everything that is impossible can be possible. Don't listen to the critics of those who just like movies with woman. Listen to me... You are going to LOVE it!
  7. MarrachG
    May 17, 2009
    After being initially disgusted by the sheer stupidity of this film, i've gradually come to love it for the same reason. No disaster movie is more memorable than this one; with the eye-poppingly bad science simply adding to the charm.
  8. Justine
    May 12, 2006
    I loved it.
  9. StewartI.
    Sep 11, 2006
    I love this film. I don't care about the plot-holes and implausibility
  10. MollyC.
    Oct 6, 2007
    I really liked this movie. Sure, it wasn't as deep as "Truman Show", but it was gripping and the characters were better than in "Poseidon". And no, if you are a physical scientist, who just stumbled over this movie by chance: do not watch it! It is not the most truthful movie in the world! But then, which movie Hollywood ever produced was?
  11. TheJoyOfCookingGilbertMulroneycakes
    Jul 12, 2003
    The concept's not bad - certainly at least 56% original - the execution, not so much. But as these sorts of things go, worse disaster movies happen at sea - Pearl Harbor, anyone? Perfect rental fodder.
  12. MelissaM.
    Sep 21, 2003
    This movie is no Armageddon, but fun nonetheless. First class B-scifi movie.
  13. BunnC.
    Mar 31, 2003
    Ok, it had a few misses, but this was an ok movie. Somewhat credible science fiction, solid acting and a few fun moments.
  14. Jody
    May 31, 2003
    Fantastic. This is a movie composed entirely of testicular fortitude. No plot, no acting, no intelligible story, just guts: the guts to not only completely ignore the actual laws of science, but even the fake science they made up earlier in the movie. They pursue a series of evens so monumentally preposterous that I can't imagine not having a good time when watching it. Certainly not Fantastic. This is a movie composed entirely of testicular fortitude. No plot, no acting, no intelligible story, just guts: the guts to not only completely ignore the actual laws of science, but even the fake science they made up earlier in the movie. They pursue a series of evens so monumentally preposterous that I can't imagine not having a good time when watching it. Certainly not an effective "disaster epic" if you're going for believable suspense, but a fantastic camp fest of the highest form. Expand
  15. AdrianV.
    Mar 29, 2003
    "The Core" is a hard core good time film to start the blockbuster season on. You never feel that you need a PHD to understand the story or the screenplay to get what they say. The acting could of been better, but its not why we go to this kind of film. Stanley Tucci make you hate him by making the character a ahole. Saan Francisco getting distroyed was the best part of the film.
  16. GregT.
    Sep 15, 2003
    All nonsense, but fun nonetheless.
  17. TomG.
    Oct 9, 2003
    Admittedly, this disaster movie isn't for everyone but, for those who love a good sci-fi disaster movie, this movie is truly a hollywood spectacle. Definitely one to add to your collection.
  18. LindsayM.
    Apr 25, 2004
    I think that Hilary Swank really hit the spot. She is a good actress and she should get a golden globe for this.
  19. Dec 22, 2012
    The story is highly improbable, not credible (pigeons tearing bullet holes through plate glass windows[!?!], hysterical, ill-trained "terranauts", a terraship infinitely more complicated than the "Manhattan Project" built in 90 days, static electrical storms that feature lightning strikes that blow up things instead of going to ground) BUT the story was FUN! It was a hell of a ride if weThe story is highly improbable, not credible (pigeons tearing bullet holes through plate glass windows[!?!], hysterical, ill-trained "terranauts", a terraship infinitely more complicated than the "Manhattan Project" built in 90 days, static electrical storms that feature lightning strikes that blow up things instead of going to ground) BUT the story was FUN! It was a hell of a ride if we can turn off our skeptical minds for a couple of hours. The production values were excellent. The principle actors and their director did really well with a comic-book script. Swank, Eckart, Tucci were great and their interplay with the others in the crews of the ship and "Houston-on-Surface" were the credible features of the film.
    Think about it this way: had you gone with your kids, they would have loved it! The "zero" reviewers need to lighten up. My 8 year old gave it a "ten" and her pleasure was good enough for me. I give it a borderline pass and a score of 65.

So howlingly awful that it has unwittingly found a place in that elite group of films that can claim to be "so bad they're good."
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    More palatable than most pictures of its ilk due to its keen awareness of its own preposterousness, a self-knowledge exuberantly expressed by a mostly live-wire cast.
  3. Elaborate misfire, which misuses an unusually good cast.