Paramount Pictures | Release Date: March 28, 2003
5.5
Mixed or average reviews based on 56 Ratings
Watch Now
EpicLadySpongeMay 4, 2016
It's like that 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea novel, but instead of sea, you get core and instead of leagues, you get degrees. The core is actually 10,832 °F, but what's with the extra 9,168 °F? Try to figure that question out to yourself.
juliankennedy23Nov 4, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Core: 5/10: Disaster movies always seem to do better when the disaster is local in scope. A city threatened by avalanche, a tower threatened by an inferno, a Poseidon threatened by an adventure, that kind of thing. Earth killer movies are always a harder road.

You have your 4 standard horseman of the earth disaster; nuclear war, space invaders, plagues (esp. those that create zombies), and meteors. Lately earth killing movies have gotten creative and lets face it stupid, global warming (The Day after Tomorrow), President George W Bush (Fahrenheit 911) and now The Core with it's well… I'm still not sure what broke.

The core of the earth stopped spinning (not the earth itself mind you) which is causing the electromagnetic field to dissipate. Okay, that sounds serious. So that would cause what exactly? Apparently the movie wasn't all that sure so we get scenes of some the lamest and implausible disasters ever. Lets put two under the scientific microphone shall we.

One involves birds going all Hitchcock in London due to their inability to navigate using the magnetic field. Okay that may effect the birds ability to fly south (Oh my god the pigeons they're going east!), but even the Mr. Magoo of the avian world wouldn't start flying into statues and buses.

In another all too short montage a lightning storm destroys the Roman Coliseum. I'm not sure what is more unlikely, lighting striking relatively short rock structures, or the granite exploding when it does. Lightning, last time I checked, was attracted to metal.

But what would you expect from a movie that puts a giant windshield in a rock-drilling machine (Made with that magic metal Unobtainium). Keep in mind I've only scratched the surface of the silliness.

Acting wise Stanley Tucci is a joy, Hillary Swank still kind of looks like a guy, and everyone else is forgettable. The Core is enjoyable in that bad 50's sci-fi kind of way. But they needed more (and more plausible) disasters, and much less well everything else.
CooterPatooterMar 7, 2012
The label of "science fiction" doesn't mean you get to do whatever you want and expect audiences to believe it.
MichMartApr 6, 2014
The characters are a bit arrogant and the USA is "of course" the only country, who can save the world. This movie could be more interesting or have a better atmosphere, which I think is quite important for a space movie. The science isn't soThe characters are a bit arrogant and the USA is "of course" the only country, who can save the world. This movie could be more interesting or have a better atmosphere, which I think is quite important for a space movie. The science isn't so important for me since it's still a science-FICTION-movie. But I unfortunately miss a (deep) meaning to this movie.

I don't know why people think "Armageddon" would be better. Has it more "cool" scenes? Because unlike it, "The Core" has more serious characters, some mysterious scenes and even a more interesting travel. Why should "Armageddon" deserve some Oscar-nominations and "The Core" not even a simple nomination?
kingacres0Dec 22, 2012
The story is highly improbable, not credible (pigeons tearing bullet holes through plate glass windows[!?!], hysterical, ill-trained "terranauts", a terraship infinitely more complicated than the "Manhattan Project" built in 90 days, staticThe story is highly improbable, not credible (pigeons tearing bullet holes through plate glass windows[!?!], hysterical, ill-trained "terranauts", a terraship infinitely more complicated than the "Manhattan Project" built in 90 days, static electrical storms that feature lightning strikes that blow up things instead of going to ground) BUT the story was FUN! It was a hell of a ride if we can turn off our skeptical minds for a couple of hours. The production values were excellent. The principle actors and their director did really well with a comic-book script. Swank, Eckart, Tucci were great and their interplay with the others in the crews of the ship and "Houston-on-Surface" were the credible features of the film.
Think about it this way: had you gone with your kids, they would have loved it! The "zero" reviewers need to lighten up. My 8 year old gave it a "ten" and her pleasure was good enough for me. I give it a borderline pass and a score of 65.
prashJan 19, 2008
The movie is science fiction proving scientific theories wrong still the movie is brought as a good job.
TYQBBMay 10, 2006
Not a bad film, but the story is simply too stupid. Going to the core of the earth? That is total rubbish. However, at least there is some excitment.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
AngelaC.Aug 30, 2007
This movie is quite interesting.. But then it's really impossible for them to go onto the core!! their ship must have melt even if they're still on the mantle!! haha... but it really made me laugh!
MollyC.Oct 6, 2007
I really liked this movie. Sure, it wasn't as deep as "Truman Show", but it was gripping and the characters were better than in "Poseidon". And no, if you are a physical scientist, who just stumbled over this movie by chance: do not I really liked this movie. Sure, it wasn't as deep as "Truman Show", but it was gripping and the characters were better than in "Poseidon". And no, if you are a physical scientist, who just stumbled over this movie by chance: do not watch it! It is not the most truthful movie in the world! But then, which movie Hollywood ever produced was? Expand
JustineMay 12, 2006
I loved it.
FurbydudeDec 14, 2007
rated best for the amazing effects and twists and funny bits, but worst due to nonsensical bits which in fact, the mantle cant stop spinning for no reason at least it was good although somewhat scary. despite the plot holes and badly done rated best for the amazing effects and twists and funny bits, but worst due to nonsensical bits which in fact, the mantle cant stop spinning for no reason at least it was good although somewhat scary. despite the plot holes and badly done bits, it was, in fact, AWESOME!!!! Expand
HamishS.Mar 31, 2007
Wow. I hope no one got paid for writing this. This has got to have one of the worst plots of any film with some of the biggest holes ever (no pun intended).
1 of 1 users found this helpful
AlexandraE.Nov 4, 2008
This movie was a fast. Quick, pace thriller. I cannot believe the awful reviews they gave tom this movie. I loved it. I really did. The Core showed me that everything that is impossible can be possible. Don't listen to the critics of This movie was a fast. Quick, pace thriller. I cannot believe the awful reviews they gave tom this movie. I loved it. I really did. The Core showed me that everything that is impossible can be possible. Don't listen to the critics of those who just like movies with woman. Listen to me... You are going to LOVE it! Expand
0 of 3 users found this helpful
MarrachGMay 17, 2009
After being initially disgusted by the sheer stupidity of this film, i've gradually come to love it for the same reason. No disaster movie is more memorable than this one; with the eye-poppingly bad science simply adding to the charm.
TravisD.Jul 15, 2006
I somewhat enjoyed this movie. I'm not very picky when it comes to sci-fi movies, but I think this couldv'e done a lot better, and I've lost a lot of respect for these great actors after being in a mediocre movie such as this. I somewhat enjoyed this movie. I'm not very picky when it comes to sci-fi movies, but I think this couldv'e done a lot better, and I've lost a lot of respect for these great actors after being in a mediocre movie such as this. I think this a so and so movie that was okay, but couldv'e been much better. Expand
0 of 0 users found this helpful
StewartI.Sep 11, 2006
I love this film. I don't care about the plot-holes and implausibility
JaredC.Dec 12, 2007
Sometimes these ratings just don't make sense to me. Sure it was an all right science fiction depiction. The beginning kind of took its time and the only problem is that they didn't actually launch the ship until past half way Sometimes these ratings just don't make sense to me. Sure it was an all right science fiction depiction. The beginning kind of took its time and the only problem is that they didn't actually launch the ship until past half way through. And then they sped through a quick adventure through the core. The film was exciting and dull at the same time, its kind of cool how the director wishes to kill everyone off, well it still was a good sci-fi film. But I totally disagree with these reviews given here. Just a pretty good movie with a disappointing plot. Expand
JamesApr 28, 2007
This movie is the worst piece of shit I have ever seen in my life! i nearly fell asleep!
1 of 1 users found this helpful
JohnJordanJan 11, 2016
I love this movie! I show it to my high school students every year when we talk about Earth structure and the dynamo in which the rotating liquid outer core generates a magnetic field. The acting is emotional and realistic. I've seen thisI love this movie! I show it to my high school students every year when we talk about Earth structure and the dynamo in which the rotating liquid outer core generates a magnetic field. The acting is emotional and realistic. I've seen this film probably a hundred times and it still gives me goose bumps i.e. "Why didn't you do it!" This film rocks! I think those that are very critical don't understand the science of the film and therefore don't appreciate the subtle ways in which it was expressed. I will take this film with me to the grave lol. Expand