Paramount Pictures | Release Date: March 28, 2003
4.5
Mixed or average reviews based on 94 Ratings
WATCH NOW
prashJan 19, 2008
The movie is science fiction proving scientific theories wrong still the movie is brought as a good job.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
AngelaC.Aug 30, 2007
This movie is quite interesting.. But then it's really impossible for them to go onto the core!! their ship must have melt even if they're still on the mantle!! haha... but it really made me laugh!
0 of 1 users found this helpful
TYQBBMay 10, 2006
Not a bad film, but the story is simply too stupid. Going to the core of the earth? That is total rubbish. However, at least there is some excitment.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
TravisD.Jul 15, 2006
I somewhat enjoyed this movie. I'm not very picky when it comes to sci-fi movies, but I think this couldv'e done a lot better, and I've lost a lot of respect for these great actors after being in a mediocre movie such as this. I somewhat enjoyed this movie. I'm not very picky when it comes to sci-fi movies, but I think this couldv'e done a lot better, and I've lost a lot of respect for these great actors after being in a mediocre movie such as this. I think this a so and so movie that was okay, but couldv'e been much better. Expand
0 of 0 users found this helpful
MichMartApr 6, 2014
The characters are a bit arrogant and the USA is "of course" the only country, who can save the world. This movie could be more interesting or have a better atmosphere, which I think is quite important for a space movie. The science isn't soThe characters are a bit arrogant and the USA is "of course" the only country, who can save the world. This movie could be more interesting or have a better atmosphere, which I think is quite important for a space movie. The science isn't so important for me since it's still a science-FICTION-movie. But I unfortunately miss a (deep) meaning to this movie.

I don't know why people think "Armageddon" would be better. Has it more "cool" scenes? Because unlike it, "The Core" has more serious characters, some mysterious scenes and even a more interesting travel. Why should "Armageddon" deserve some Oscar-nominations and "The Core" not even a simple nomination?
juliankennedy23Nov 4, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Core: 5/10: Disaster movies always seem to do better when the disaster is local in scope. A city threatened by avalanche, a tower threatened by an inferno, a Poseidon threatened by an adventure, that kind of thing. Earth killer movies are always a harder road.

You have your 4 standard horseman of the earth disaster; nuclear war, space invaders, plagues (esp. those that create zombies), and meteors. Lately earth killing movies have gotten creative and lets face it stupid, global warming (The Day after Tomorrow), President George W Bush (Fahrenheit 911) and now The Core with it's well… I'm still not sure what broke.

The core of the earth stopped spinning (not the earth itself mind you) which is causing the electromagnetic field to dissipate. Okay, that sounds serious. So that would cause what exactly? Apparently the movie wasn't all that sure so we get scenes of some the lamest and implausible disasters ever. Lets put two under the scientific microphone shall we.

One involves birds going all Hitchcock in London due to their inability to navigate using the magnetic field. Okay that may effect the birds ability to fly south (Oh my god the pigeons they're going east!), but even the Mr. Magoo of the avian world wouldn't start flying into statues and buses.

In another all too short montage a lightning storm destroys the Roman Coliseum. I'm not sure what is more unlikely, lighting striking relatively short rock structures, or the granite exploding when it does. Lightning, last time I checked, was attracted to metal.

But what would you expect from a movie that puts a giant windshield in a rock-drilling machine (Made with that magic metal Unobtainium). Keep in mind I've only scratched the surface of the silliness.

Acting wise Stanley Tucci is a joy, Hillary Swank still kind of looks like a guy, and everyone else is forgettable. The Core is enjoyable in that bad 50's sci-fi kind of way. But they needed more (and more plausible) disasters, and much less well everything else.
EpicLadySpongeMay 4, 2016
It's like that 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea novel, but instead of sea, you get core and instead of leagues, you get degrees. The core is actually 10,832 °F, but what's with the extra 9,168 °F? Try to figure that question out to yourself.