5.2

1. Oct 25, 2013
    Holy this was just god awful, dialogue is not human, women are treated as nothing but sex objects, minorities are all portrayed as bad, there's no discernible characters development, it's just awful save your money
  2. Oct 25, 2013
    In my ever-humble opinion, this is a saddening example of metacritic's inevitable deception. Many will see the generally unfavorable reception towards this film and write it off without the blink of an eye.

Now I am in no way saying that my opinion is absolute (it so clearly is not), and I would also like to point out that I do not throw around 10-ratings lightly. This film is, without

This film is, without a doubt, one of the most brilliant films I have seen in years.
    Ridley Scott is an artist with a 'true vision', and I will not argue that it requires one to be on a certain wavelength in order to perceive this vision (I do not mean to sound pretentious).
    Every inch of Cormac McCarthy's dialogue is profoundly thought-provoking and unknowingly exposing,
    and the performances are brilliant to the point of the cast's A-list status coming off as a mere coincidental detail. Fassbender, Pitt, Diaz, Bardem, and Cruz all exhibit the same fearless resolve as Scott on the other side of the lense.
    Despite common criticism of the film's 'lack of cohesion' or 'identity confusion', I assert that this film's self-identity is actually stronger than most. Those who cannot recognize this cannot see the forest for the trees. Those who are not familiar with a more 'Art-house' approach to film-making/story-telling will most likely end up alienated. This movie makes no attempt to ease viewers into its twisted and bizarrely real world, and that is ENTIRELY intentional.

Again, I do not mean to sound aggressive towards those many who dislike this film.
    I simply wanted to present my personal appreciation for this film which I consider monumental, and for those intrigued but disenchanted by the negative reception to persevere until they can form their own opinion.
  3. Nov 4, 2013
    This film is why the term "hot mess" was coined. Its writer is more interested in his familiar theory that we are all becoming dehumanized and that the world is coming to an end. Perhaps, but could we spend our last days watching films with coherent plots, believable characters. It is risible to hear drug cartel figures spout about inevitability.
  4. Nov 4, 2013
    What a disappointment with this cast. Clumsy plot and bad sequencing. Do not waste your time or money on this one. Getting mugged is a better investment than seeing this film.
  5. Jan 11, 2014
    There was nothing for me to like about this movie. The story evolves around a Counsellor and the people surrounding him. For reasons unbeknown to us he decides to go into the drug business, and pseudo-intellectual existential dialogues between the protagonists ensue, with the main focus being on greed and how sexual everything appears to them. Cheetahs chasing jackrabbits is sexual, aThere was nothing for me to like about this movie. The story evolves around a Counsellor and the people surrounding him. For reasons unbeknown to us he decides to go into the drug business, and pseudo-intellectual existential dialogues between the protagonists ensue, with the main focus being on greed and how sexual everything appears to them. Cheetahs chasing jackrabbits is sexual, a yellow Ferrari is so sexual that Diaz' character decides to make-out with it (yes, you read that correctly). The Counsellor is constantly being counselled on life and it's meaning by philosophical drug-dealers and cartel members. The tediousness of these overdrawn, often repetitive and rather self-indulged exchanges make the film feel so ill paced. The chemistry between the two main couples (Fassbender-Cruz, Bardem-Diaz) was non-existent. The characters are hardly developed. Were we suppose to empathise with the Counsellor? The acting was NOT good. The ultimate attraction to this film, for me, was the cast who in it's majority has seldom - if ever - let me down. And yet, here, even they were, to put it mildly, not on top form. The emphasis had been given on the aforementioned dialogue, something that was more obvious when the main plot of the film became increasingly convoluted and thus hard to follow. At the end all I felt was content that it was over. This is, unfortunately, the worst film I've seen this year. Expand
  6. Jan 31, 2014
    Whenever I watch such "movies" I feel ashamed for their "creators". I myself don't even feel insulted by the garbage they threw at me from the screen disdain for moviegoers has become common place nowadays. R.Scott was lucky to make couple of good movies, since then all he cares about is money. What was he expecting the spectators to say after having watched the film? Amazing interiors",Whenever I watch such "movies" I feel ashamed for their "creators". I myself don't even feel insulted by the garbage they threw at me from the screen disdain for moviegoers has become common place nowadays. R.Scott was lucky to make couple of good movies, since then all he cares about is money. What was he expecting the spectators to say after having watched the film? Amazing interiors", :"fast cheetahs", "Fassbinder licking muffin of Penelope Cruz who complains that it's dirty", "Queer Bardem", Diaz screwing the Ferrari" "Pitt loses his head due to idiotic device"... What a sham! But the worst part is dialogues. A good movie talking should do three things: move forward the plot, explore the characters, elicit some emotions. Here you have long imbecile speeches which try to pretend sexy, philosophic or smart. EVERY single person speaks as if they majored at ancient Greek literature. My god, what happened to good screenwriters? Studios should give the process back to independent producers, otherwise, in 5 years, people will go the cinemas just to eat some popcorn and play bowing Expand
  7. Feb 8, 2014
    This is one of the saddest excuse for a movie I have seen in a long time :( Two hours of my life that I will never get back. What a travesty. Sometimes ingredients just don't mix. I tried orange juice and cola once. Never again. Mr. Scott tried mixing philosophy, a megalomanic script and his own pretentious ego. This movie tries to convey some sort of sensuality about violence or what? OfThis is one of the saddest excuse for a movie I have seen in a long time :( Two hours of my life that I will never get back. What a travesty. Sometimes ingredients just don't mix. I tried orange juice and cola once. Never again. Mr. Scott tried mixing philosophy, a megalomanic script and his own pretentious ego. This movie tries to convey some sort of sensuality about violence or what? Of course, I didn't 'get' the movie. But I'm glad I didn't. Oh, and don't be fooled by miss Diaz trying to pretend she can act. She can't. :( Expand
  8. Dec 20, 2013
    I recently viewed "12 Years a Slave" and as I was watching the brutality of this film I was constantly reminded of "The Counselor". These movies have absolutely nothing in common other than the simple fact that man just cannot help its hatred for its fellow man. This movie is the modern version of just that time when people were property and were totally expendable with no remorse orI recently viewed "12 Years a Slave" and as I was watching the brutality of this film I was constantly reminded of "The Counselor". These movies have absolutely nothing in common other than the simple fact that man just cannot help its hatred for its fellow man. This movie is the modern version of just that time when people were property and were totally expendable with no remorse or thought of them as humans. This a mess of a movie and I would beg you not to see it...the graphic and brutal violence in the film has not left my mind since the viewing and reminds me how far we have not come since the 1800s. Expand
  9. Feb 1, 2014
    This is a dishonest film. It is not what it says on the tin. From the trailer, cast, director, synopsis etc you are probably expecting a high octane, on the edge of your seat thriller, with a strong plot line and characters you can love or hate. Sorry but it does not give that at all. This simply is a self-indulgent film (self-indulgent by the writer), with actors badly deliveringThis is a dishonest film. It is not what it says on the tin. From the trailer, cast, director, synopsis etc you are probably expecting a high octane, on the edge of your seat thriller, with a strong plot line and characters you can love or hate. Sorry but it does not give that at all. This simply is a self-indulgent film (self-indulgent by the writer), with actors badly delivering unintelligible lines of philosophic dialogue with neither rhyme nor reason as to how they got there and what their motives are. This is the sort of thing you would expect to have to sit through, not too willingly, when you have a very good friend who is taking screenplay classes and has to do an obscure showcase. Most students, if not all, refrain from applying a Hollywood budget, getting Ridley Scott to direct and having Brad Pitt et al in these showcases though and maybe McCarthy should have thought twice about having his screenplay debut in such a fashion and kept to the more traditional avenue of a few friends in a small theatre. I am sure his friends would have said nice things about it but I can't think of one. Expand
  10. Apr 6, 2014
    One of the most depressing movies ever made. And surely one of the worst. I would rank it 2nd worst ever after Tree of Life which is simply untoppable. Non exisiting story, endless pointless scenes and pseudo-philosophical, yawn inducing dialogue rivalling even Matrix III.

I find it hard to fathom that this trainwreck was directed by the same man who brought us Blade Runner, Alien, Gladiator and Thelma & Louise. Ridley, you should be ashamed of yourself.

PS.: Brad Pitt seems to become the ultimate seal of approval for crap movies: Benjamin Button, Babel, World War Z, Tree of Life and now this abomination. Next time I see his name on a DVD I'm gonna avoid it like the plague ...
  11. Apr 26, 2014
    The Counselor is beyond terrible. From the moment it started to the very last scene, it irritated me so much because of how incomprehensible it was. From the long meaningless conversations to the poor directing, the counselor could not have been made any worse.
  12. Apr 27, 2014
    One of the worst movies I have seen in about a year. This proves that no matter who is attached to a film it could still be a disaster. Don't ask me what happened, I have no idea. Nor do I care.
  13. Nov 28, 2013
    I have never seen a movie split people in half. You either love it, or you absolutely want to rip your head off. I never thought that a movie made from the legendary Ridley Scott could fall down this path. Long story short, "The Counselor" truly suffers with its script. It doesn't know what it is. It makes the actors say a bunch of mumbo jumbo and makes the grisly violence seem lessI have never seen a movie split people in half. You either love it, or you absolutely want to rip your head off. I never thought that a movie made from the legendary Ridley Scott could fall down this path. Long story short, "The Counselor" truly suffers with its script. It doesn't know what it is. It makes the actors say a bunch of mumbo jumbo and makes the grisly violence seem less appealing to the source material it's given. Now I don't hate the movie, but there's something seriously wrong with this story. Its one thing, then its another. It's like they're trying to pull an Inception on me. And the movie is only about drug trafficking!! I don't know, but what I do know is that, you'll get sucked into a mindless and grisly film or you'll absolutely devour the crap out this confusing and off-setting story. Overall, it has its merits, but suffers in screenplay, which makes everything else suffer. I give it a C. Expand
  14. Feb 8, 2014
    This movie was the most surprisingly, disappointed movie i've ever watch in 2013. With the A list casts and their actings, they can't help how mess this movie's plot. Really disappointed
  15. Dec 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 3 points for Javier Bardem's wardrobe, 0 points for everything else.

Heineken.
    And here's some more characters because I have nothing else to say about this film.
  16. Feb 16, 2014
    While certainly not as gory and sexually exploitive as some, it is meaningless trash, as one other reviewer put it "a waste of talent" of some great stars who put in their usual good work. The plot is stupid. Not one of these characters has ever seen a spy or cartel movie? They don't protect themselves in any way. They go home and sit around? They are not suspicious of beautiful women whoWhile certainly not as gory and sexually exploitive as some, it is meaningless trash, as one other reviewer put it "a waste of talent" of some great stars who put in their usual good work. The plot is stupid. Not one of these characters has ever seen a spy or cartel movie? They don't protect themselves in any way. They go home and sit around? They are not suspicious of beautiful women who just happen to pass by and fall for them? They walk around the streets thinking they are invisible? Expand
  17. May 2, 2014
    I'll start out with the pros. Good production value, acting was slightly north of mediocre. Moods set in the begging of the film are effective and moving. And the Cons. This movie was a disgusting display of a lack of respect for human life. It's attempts to build a solid logical architecture behind the plot, causes it to be have unnecessary heaps endless of pseudo-philosophical monologuesI'll start out with the pros. Good production value, acting was slightly north of mediocre. Moods set in the begging of the film are effective and moving. And the Cons. This movie was a disgusting display of a lack of respect for human life. It's attempts to build a solid logical architecture behind the plot, causes it to be have unnecessary heaps endless of pseudo-philosophical monologues that are boring and ineffective. This is a film for the kind of person who watches an actual cartel beheading and is left asking "That's all?". This movie is incredibly brutal. This is coming from a gamer, in fact I enjoy the violent ones, even the most violent and gory ones. Hell I was in a better mood after watching "A Serbian Film" than when this movie's credit's rolled. The Counselor went way over the edge and into a dark unforgivable side of humanity, and I fear it may have left me with some permanent psychological scars that will probably never leave me. If that's what you're looking for, this is the movie for you. Expand
  18. May 26, 2014
    I can truly see why the overall score ratings are close for both, positive and negative, reviews. It all relies in the story, where must of all characters have a philosophical, similar kind of elevated speech which some cannot digest as being veracious while others claim it was very " artsy" and intellectually attractive.
    I am sorry, but I am in the first group. not even so many great
    I am sorry, but I am in the first group. not even so many great actors can rescue this movie from its awful script.
  19. Jul 14, 2014
    Don't waste your time on this movie. Totally disjointed plot. The term "counselor" was used in every other sentence. Acting was pretty good all around, but even good actors couldn't salvage this trainwreck.
  20. Oct 28, 2013
    What a bunch of cut scenes stapled together so they could call it a movie. I stuck around to the end only to see what the big payoff would of been but like the rest of the movie it just left me completely disappointed. The most upsetting thing about this so called story is that there is a real good movie in there somewhere. It is just the director and screenwriter completely dropped theWhat a bunch of cut scenes stapled together so they could call it a movie. I stuck around to the end only to see what the big payoff would of been but like the rest of the movie it just left me completely disappointed. The most upsetting thing about this so called story is that there is a real good movie in there somewhere. It is just the director and screenwriter completely dropped the ball. Better luck next time Brad Pitt. Expand
  21. Oct 27, 2013
    Absolutely dreadful; a total dogs breakfast of a film. I can't think of a worse example of squandered potential in recent memory. if you are looking for a truer, scarier and altogether more believable portrayal of the drugs business, I suggest looking no further than Breaking Bad.
  22. Oct 27, 2013
    There's so much wrong with it on so many levels. With everyone involved, it quite frankly should have been a masterpiece, and is the absolute inverse of that. A complete trainwreck on every level. The movie is less than 2 hours long, but I was bored before the halfway mark and almost left multiple times. The most disappointing movie of the year.
  23. Nov 17, 2013
    We went to see this film last night and I witnessed something I've never seen before. 50% of the audience got up and left during the film. The poor remaining few who stayed until the end in blind hope that the film can't really be this bad simply vocalised their opinions at the end shouting out "worst film ever", "no wonder people left"!! Anyone who rates this film higher than a 2 must beWe went to see this film last night and I witnessed something I've never seen before. 50% of the audience got up and left during the film. The poor remaining few who stayed until the end in blind hope that the film can't really be this bad simply vocalised their opinions at the end shouting out "worst film ever", "no wonder people left"!! Anyone who rates this film higher than a 2 must be on the pay roll or trying to act like a critic and see something which really isn't there. The film is a confused blend of poor acting, guess work and an incredibly simple, boring plot line made overly complicated with pointless and annoying dialogue. This film could have been over in 15 minutes, that's how simple it it, yet through pointless boring and confused conversations it managed to get up to nearly 2 hours. I don't feel good writing this review as I admire many of the actors involved and the director but this is truly appalling and one of the worst films I've ever seen. If by writing this review I stop just one person going to see this film then I feel like my work is done. Avoid at all costs, poor script, poor acting, and poor direction make this film a total joke. Expand
  24. Nov 11, 2013
    In 2007, Michael Bay created a mega, summer movie blockbuster event that brought some incredible advances in special effects, a slew of unnecessary sequels and most importantly, made famous the incredibly sexy, sweaty grease-monkey character Mikaela Banes, also knows as Megan Fox. If there is anything Michael Bay did right in that film, was give audience members as well as pop-cultureIn 2007, Michael Bay created a mega, summer movie blockbuster event that brought some incredible advances in special effects, a slew of unnecessary sequels and most importantly, made famous the incredibly sexy, sweaty grease-monkey character Mikaela Banes, also knows as Megan Fox. If there is anything Michael Bay did right in that film, was give audience members as well as pop-culture enthusiasts one of the most memorable cinematic stills since Marilyn Monroe in 1954′s The Seven Year Itch. Leaning on the sizzling hood of Sam Witwicky’s 1976 Chevrolet Camaro’s hood, allowing the heat from the engine to soak Mikaela’s body with sweet sweat, Bay created eternal movie magic with that iconic scene. Since then, audiences, as well as critics alike, never thought that the day would come when an overly sexual image involving a car would ever come. Oh, it came!

The only difference between Diaz‘s Malkina’s outrageous car scene and Fox‘s iconic heated scene is that, Diaz and company wish they had as good a movie as Transformers on their hands and a film that people will actually care to watch and recommend, and that’s putting it nicely.

The Counselor seemed to have no advising or counseling on it at all, because director Ridley Scott and company deliver what is surely going to be one of the worst decisions in their careers in a long time. What looked like a thrilling game of cat and mouse, quickly becomes a dry, careless piece of gorgeous snuff.

The Counselor follows, well, the counselor (Michael Fassbender) as he navigates the waters of his first ever, illegal and immoral business venture of drug trafficking from Mexico across the United States boarder. That is pretty well everything you need to know and everything that is really told. Just like the lack to give a name to the lead, The Counselor is a cold, informal and perplexing film of too many characters and not enough explanation or purpose.

The Counselor shows the relationship between himself and his gorgeous wife Laura (Penelope Cruz), his relationship with people in the underworld including Westray (Brad Pitt) a middle man between professionals and the cartels, Reiner (Javier Bardem) a man of means, and Malkina (Cameron Diaz) the lavish girlfriend of Reiner. Other than that, things go from bad, to worse, in both the narrative of the film, and the film itself.

Lacking any real storyline or empathetic characters, The Counselor serves as an ill-advised example of the power within Hollywood. Following in the footsteps of other complete disaster ensemble films like this year’s Movie 43 and The Coen Brother’s 2008 tragedy Burn After Reading, the film serves no purpose other than Diaz‘s amazing showcase of acrobatics, sensuality and unexplained perversion.

The film itself is a stylized and beautifully shot piece of work. Sadly, pieces of art share more of an emotional response than this film does. The film is flooding with lost scenes, pathetic foreshadowing and unflinching action/reaction shots.

One of the most noticeable disappointments of The Counselor is its script. Acclaimed author Cormac McCarthy is a recognized and respected writing force. So many of the most striking narrative feature pieces of the last decade, including No Country For Old Men and The Road, have used McCarthy‘s work as source material and enhanced the characters and narrative of McCarthy‘s narrative worlds. In his first venture as feature screenwriter, McCarthy overcompensates with nonsense, directionless and often sleepy dialogue. I’m unsure if McCarthy was pulling inspiration from Shakespeare or Hemingway, but instead of delivering on precise, metaphorically driven, analogical monologues and conversations between characters, McCarthy simply loses his audience and instead allows his talented actors to give long-winded, spoken word lullabies.

Every so often, there comes a movie that really makes me scratch my head and wonder how and why all the talented individuals involved could possibly sign on to a movie like this. The Counselor is well on its way to being one of the worst movies of 2013. Strangled with boredom that even scenes of decapitation couldn’t possibly help make it even a bit interesting, The Counselor is a failed attempt for everyone involved but Diaz. Diaz will surely be remembered for years to come for her scene atop a bright yellow Ferrari, a vacant golf course and a priceless face made by Bardem, who encompasses the feeling of the whole movie, with one facial expression. Disbelief is the best way to describe it, or gynecological, if that even makes sense, because nothing in this film attempts to make sense. This film is in desperate need of some professional help.
  25. Nov 15, 2013
    If you listen carefully you can almost here the snapping and cracking of the backs of a million Carmac McCarthy and Ridley Scott fans who are bending over backwards to try to rationalize and justify the mess that is the Counselor.

I fall into the camp of people that found this to movie to be a monstrosity. The script is indescribably terrible the dialogue is stilted, wordy, pompous, unnatural, shallow, unrealistic and pointless, and it manages to explain too much and explain too little, miraculously, all at the same time. Perhaps with better direction and editing the plot (which is actually fairly simple) would have made a bit more sense but at times you will likely still struggle to follow what's happening because the scenes are put together so poorly and the script introduces new characters at random. This is a movie that gives off the impression, at first glance, of being intelligent. You'll get to hear speeches that draw on the many worlds intepretation of choice and the potential lack thereof, meaningfulness, etc. from unlikely sources. Having majored in philosophy I found them superficial and insulting. If I didn't have a background in philosophy, I would merely have found them preechy and pointless, I'm guessing. The writing was stylistic but yet tried to be conversational and just failed in every way conceivable.

There are a couple decent action sequences and a cool murder scene at the end but the characters are lifeless or caricatures of interesting characters because the writing is laughably abysmal. This movie is a complete and utter failure, and I have a great attention span, have liked movies with little to no plot and was not expecting a suspense filled thriller. This was just a complete turd. I'm guessing what happened is that no one had the courage to tell McCarthy that his script was terrible or someone thought it was deep (even though it isn't) and greenlighted this movie. What a mistake.
  26. Nov 24, 2013
    The Counselor needs serious counselling itself. It's an absolute mess of a movie, with the plot being aimless and confusing; the characters being so poorly developed that you consider them to be very boring stereotypes, and Ridley Scott's use of gore feeling unnecessary and misplaced. This movie's tagline: 'Sin is a choice,' is actually a reference to the decision to make and release this movie.
  27. Nov 11, 2013
    What a waste of perfectly good actors. It had all the potential of being a great movie but feel extremely short. Very confusing and terrible ending of that's what you call the last part of the movie. Waste of my money and time.
  28. Nov 18, 2013
    Absolutely the worst movie I have seen in a very long time. What a shame. Great writer, great actors, but dreadful movie. The story is disjointed with characters that you simply don't care about and can't get invested in. Horrible editing. I recommend that no-one spends any money or time watching this. I absolutely can't imagine anyone rating this above a "2" maximum, even if youAbsolutely the worst movie I have seen in a very long time. What a shame. Great writer, great actors, but dreadful movie. The story is disjointed with characters that you simply don't care about and can't get invested in. Horrible editing. I recommend that no-one spends any money or time watching this. I absolutely can't imagine anyone rating this above a "2" maximum, even if you are a Brad Pitt, Cameron Diaz, or Penalupe Cruz fan. It crossed my mind several times to walk out on this one but stayed to see if somehow it would come together nicely at the end, and well, it didn't. Expand
  29. Nov 16, 2013
    Whenever I watch such "movies" I feel ashamed for their "creators". I myself don't even feel insulted by the garbage they threw at me from the screen disdain for moviegoers has become common place nowadays. R.Scott was lucky to make couple of good movies, since then all he cares about is money. What was he expecting the spectators to say after having watched the film? Amazing interiors",Whenever I watch such "movies" I feel ashamed for their "creators". I myself don't even feel insulted by the garbage they threw at me from the screen disdain for moviegoers has become common place nowadays. R.Scott was lucky to make couple of good movies, since then all he cares about is money. What was he expecting the spectators to say after having watched the film? Amazing interiors", :"fast cheetahs", "Fassbinder licking muffin of Penelope Cruz who complains that it's dirty", "Queer Bardem", Diaz screwing the Ferrari" "Pitt loses his head due to idiotic device"... What a sham! But the worst part is dialogues. A good movie talking should do three things: move forward the plot, explore the characters, elicit some emotions. Here you have long imbecile speeches which try to pretend sexy, philosophic or smart. EVERY single person speaks as if they majored at ancient Greek literature. My god, what happened to good screenwriters? Studios should give the process back to independent producers, otherwise, in 5 years, people will go the cinemas just to eat some popcorn and play bowing. Expand
  30. Nov 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have no idea what happened here, or really what I watched. I kept waiting for the character interactions to make any sense whatsoever. They never did. The places that hurt the worst were Diaz and Bardem, and for opposite reasons.

Watching Diaz try to deliver that last pseudo monologue in the restaurant was awful. I was on a date and had to work to keep from laughing because I thought it would come across as arrogant. She's just not capable of delivering complex, philosophic dialog in a believable way. Afterward, and I think in the moment too, I kept comparing that scene with the last scene from No Country for Old Men and Tommy Lee Jones' monologue. I think maybe Ridley Scott thought we'd be too busy fixated on a very sexy Diaz to notice the difference in quality.

She played the animal really well. Did we have to have her hump a car though? I mean she lives with leopards and has her own leopard spots. We get it. She's the only thing that can survive in the drug trade--an animal.

But I think what hurt the most was wasting Javier Bardem on an idiot character who 1) consistently and genuinely claims to not know anything of substance while obviously knowing enough to live in the lap of luxury, and 2) spouts McCarthy's (in this film frequently turgid) lines with his trademark talent...which here contrasts so badly with everything else we observe about his character that we reject both the character and the lines as absurd caricatures of McCarthy's writing.

Waste of good film!

1. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Nov 20, 2013
    It feels like a film that is attracted by the shape of love and pain, but is a long way from understanding the content.
  2. Reviewed by: Guy Lodge
    Nov 12, 2013
    At least Cameron Diaz gives it some welly as the gold-toothed femme fatale who may or may not hold all the cards.
  3. Reviewed by: Sam Weisberg
    Oct 29, 2013
    The Counselor is the cumbersome end product of a high-minded writer trying to slum and a slick director aiming for cosmic depth.