8.8

1. Apr 30, 2015
    Three words: "My favorite movie" and I'm definitely not into those categories of movies. I usually just watch comedy because things like "Revenge", "Betrayal", and "Love" are usually characteristics of a drama and I HATE drama.

This movie is by far the most entertaining movie I've watched and I watch more TV than Al Bundy
  2. Feb 19, 2015
    If you are one of those types that find old english-like movies tenious then prepared to be amazed by how great this movie is! It comes off a little slow at first (appox. 10-15 minutes) but once the plot makes it's twist then suddenly you are going to be rooting for Dantes to seek out revenge! Possibly ladies will be rooting for him harder because of his handsome looks.

In the very end,

In the very end, great lessons will be learned while you are busy having fun watching this movie!
  3. Oct 3, 2014
    The Count of Monte Cristo is a fantastic adaption of a classic slice of adventure literature. The performances are great and the directing is colorful. More importantly, the film has a handful of truly unforgettable scenes, chief among them: Guy Piece looking out over a peaceful horizon, deciding on his future... "You know I could never live in a world where you have everything and I haveThe Count of Monte Cristo is a fantastic adaption of a classic slice of adventure literature. The performances are great and the directing is colorful. More importantly, the film has a handful of truly unforgettable scenes, chief among them: Guy Piece looking out over a peaceful horizon, deciding on his future... "You know I could never live in a world where you have everything and I have nothing." I get chills every time! Expand
  4. Jul 29, 2014
    "The Count of Monte Cristo" is easy to like. An accomplished piece of cinematography, and a strong adaptation of Dumas's novel. Caviezel's portrayal of Dantes is undeniably a decent one. While it may not be the classic someone might expect, it is an enjoyable adventure that keeps its audience thrilled through its unevenly bland ending.
  5. Oct 1, 2011
    Bah, "The Count of Monte Cristo" is a movie that displays a violent tale of revenge into a ridiculously cheesy one. However I'll give credit for the excellent cinematography.
  6. Mar 26, 2011
    An epic tale of adventure, betrayal, love and revenge. There really is something here for everyone. Jim Caviezel, one of the most underrated actors of the past decade, delivered a superb performance in this film. This is my favorite movie of all time, so pardon the perfect score.
  7. Aug 22, 2010
    This movie is so old-school and adventure it actually feels like a real adventure movie unlike some of the knockoffs today. Also, any movie with good sword-fighting in it has to be good.
  8. PatrickI.
    Feb 15, 2009
    The Count of Monte Cristo is an excellent piece of work, even though it doesn't follow the book as does the Gerard Depardieu version. The movie is quite one of the best dramas of the 2000's. Enjoyed very much!
  9. AndiB.
    Feb 26, 2007
    Kept me on the edge of my seat and a dashing performance by Caviezel and Pearce. Want to see more of Caviezel. This is one I will buy for my library.
  10. TarynN
    Oct 25, 2006
    This is my FAVOURITE movie of all time.
  11. Myles#13
    Sep 8, 2006
    Although 'The Count of Monte Cristo' on film is VERY different from the novel, this movie actually maintains the spirit of the book in its adaptation, while coming up with an adventurous ending. Caviezel fits the role perfectly, and Richard Harris (in one of his last appearances) steals the show. Take a look, see for yourself!
  12. PaulS.
    May 21, 2006
    Simply one of the most well-done films of all time. Well-acted, with a great storyline. Very well done.
  13. JonathanB.
    Jan 15, 2006
    How refreshing! A movie that actually feels like a movie ought to and cheats you out of nothing. Great performances - LOVE JB Blanc as the smuggler Luigi - need to see more of him in the movies....everyone was great though and the cinematography just shines. A lot of fun.
  14. CraigA.
    Aug 22, 2005
    Solid stuff. Forget Lucas. This is Revenge at its best.
  15. nunol.
    Jun 24, 2005
    Adorei este filme.
  16. AnnaT.
    Nov 16, 2004
    This movie was very exciting, i've not read the Dumas' book but i think it will surely catch many movie lovers outhere. The movie is full of adventure, sacrifice with revenge......and thats why i started loving this movie. That's all! hope other movie lovers outhere will love it too!
  17. MarkB.
    Oct 21, 2004
    Well, I promised on this very site that if anyone wanted to counter Michael moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 by getting a liberal-bashing, anti-Kerry film into theaters, I'd more than happily pony up my $6.50 and check it out. Being a man of my word (or at least trying to be most of the time), here goes! Kevin Knoblock's documentary, cowritten by Lionel Chetwynd (whose excellent, Well, I promised on this very site that if anyone wanted to counter Michael moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 by getting a liberal-bashing, anti-Kerry film into theaters, I'd more than happily pony up my $6.50 and check it out. Being a man of my word (or at least trying to be most of the time), here goes! Kevin Knoblock's documentary, cowritten by Lionel Chetwynd (whose excellent, gripping 1987 Vietnam P.O.W. drama The Hanoi Hilton was, I still think, unjustly savaged by critics because of its unflattering depiction of Jane Fonda's antiwar activities) is not so much a direct response to Moore's film as an attempt to counter five common "Anybody But (George W.) Bush" arguments ranging from "He stole the 2000 election!" to "He's making everything even more dangerous by angering the Muslim community!" On a pure filmmaking level, it's about on the same plane as moveon.org's series of agitprop documentaries made by Robert Greenwald such as Outfoxed and Uncovered; technically a little rougher, maybe, but that's to be expected, given that it includes very recent footage from John Kerry's campaign and the Democratic convention and obviously was made quickly in order to be rushed into theaters before Election Day. Much of it inevitably does indeed preach to the choir, which I'm not a member of, and given that I comprised exactly 20% of the audience at my showing, I doubt that it'll make a whole lot of converts, but several of its arguments, especially dealing with France's objections to unseating Saddam possibly arising partially from a cozy business relationship with him and with the Clinton administration supposedly giving carte blanche to PLO demigod Yassir Arafat, are intriguing and provocative and deserve further study. The filmmakers' best move was to eschew the use of incendiary rightwingers such as Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter as talking heads; opting instead for quieter figures in the conservative community such as Fred Barnes, Charles Krauthammer and Michael Medved implies that they're going for reasoning over rhetoric. (And I loved character actor-turned-politico Fred Dalton Thompson, who comes across with great decency, folksiness and likability; he's like your favorite uncle whom you may disagree with on some of these matters, but that doesn't change the fact that he's still your favorite uncle.) For a good long while, Celsius 41.11 was home free; I really thought it was going to stick to argiung its own points, stay away from the mud and go for the high road in the same way that George Butler's classy Going Upriver: The long War of John Kerry did, despite its occasional (perhaps inevitable) use of footage of Al Gore, Bill Clinton or Kerry looking like they either just sneezed, yawned or burped or were about to, or depicting the worst and most extreme examples of the antiwar or anti-Bush movement to characterize everyone in it. But then, like a twelve-stepper suddenly and feverishly rushing back into the bar, Knoblock, Chetwynd and cowriter Ted Steinberg can't hold back any longer, and we get 20 minutes or so of the usual Kerry character assassination, punctuated by Medved's whiny, gratuitous and bizarre "I-knew-Kerry-way-back-when-and-what-a-jerk-he-was" monologue and set to the tune of a bilious Larry Gatlin song that wouldn't be too far out of place on the Bob Roberts soundtrack. (My favorite argument here, which was also used against Al Gore, was that Kerry has always wanted to be president. So what? Does that mean that everyone who wanted to be a fireman since he was 3 years old should be barred from becoming one because he always wanted to be?) Obviously, the filmmakers aren't secure enough about George W. Bush or his platform to let them speak for themselves--and certainly the logical response to my reaction would be, "Well, what about Michael Moore? He made an ENTIRE MOVIE (two, to be honest) that did nothing but attack the Bush administration!" True, but then Moore's approach isn't really any different from what the neoconservative movement has been doing for decades, ranging from crucifying Michael Dukakis with those racist, fearmongering Willie Horton ads to its wholesale persecution of Clinton and near-successful attempt to subvert the will of the majority by driving him from office, to its redefinition of the perfectly honorable word 'liberal" into a near-obscenity that even liberals scurry to avoid being tagged as. I believe that a major reason that Moore is so fervently loved by a substantial portion of America (even if, like me, some don't completerly buy into all his arguments or techniques) is that he more than anyone else has proven that the Democratic Party doesn't have to lay down and die while the Republicans do whatever they want, and that America is still a two-party system. That seems to threaten those in power and many of their supporters...and that fear, regrettably informing the last reel of Celsius 41.11, turns an otherwise interesting film that broadminded viewers on both sides should see, to just another shrill negative campaign ad that I can't wait to scrape off my shoe on November 3! Expand
    Sep 8, 2004
    This is the Best, first in its class, enjoyed every intense minute. Could not leave my seat. Dumas would be proud!
  19. SikitaB.
    May 30, 2004
    It's fast-paced story is quite moving and made the movie more interesting and intense especially with the superb acting of the cast.
  20. WandaH.
    Apr 6, 2004
    This was the first movie that I really like James Caviezel in, and I think he is one of the best looking and best performing actors in America...but his best movie is The Passion of the Christ.
  21. PatC.
    Jan 13, 2004
    Faithful retelling of the classic. Could have been more imaginative.
  22. JoanP.
    Dec 6, 2003
    This was a pretty good modification for the movies, but I did not appreciate all the interesting side stories from the book getting taken out! If you liked the movie, I don't think you will like the book.
  23. YoonC.
    Sep 15, 2003
    Superior and athletic adaptation of a romance-adventure classic, sturdily constructed, even magnificent at times, with good performances. Surprisingly restrained and smart for a Hollywood production.
  24. FeliciaN.
    Mar 23, 2003
    Out of all the Guy Pearce movies I've seen,I'd say this one was a really great role for him and was different.This is also one of James Caviezel's good roles as well.A good movie.
  25. RedF.
    Nov 29, 2002
    This movie is the best movie i have ever seen. it had so much action land i could stay sitting and not loose intrest and walk away i have seen it so many times it was an awseome movie and the best person is Jacapo because he was so funny at the beginning. my next fav was dontez because he never gave in and always had a plan.
  26. GingerE.
    Nov 1, 2002
    This movie had some of the best acting. Both expression and physical acting. It had a great deal of good twists and turns. I have recomended this movie to a large number of people. Great movei
  27. Richard
    Oct 25, 2002
    Suffers from an overabundance of Clint Eastwood-y "make my day" punchline variations and begins to drag just a little in the last 20 minutes. But the performances have a kick and it's always good to see Michael Wincott.
  28. JackS.
    Oct 5, 2002
    Kinda slow and limp, but watchable.
  29. BrianH.
    Sep 23, 2002
    The movie was very good and I will suggest to all my friends and relatives to see it.
  30. Lorna
    Jul 12, 2002
    What a beautifully filmed and acted movie! Well worth seeing!
  31. Kathryn
    Jun 18, 2002
    I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it had all the stuff you go to a movie for...for intense the action, passion, and revenge. And this was nothing like Zorro...plus.. this was a book written far before Zorro.
  32. GauriS.
    Jun 17, 2002
    Not really anything special... bad acting.
  33. SandraM.
    May 20, 2002
    Wow, it was an awesome movie! James cavielzel played the count excellent. James has talent. The setting, scenery, footage and other things from the movie made it great. I wouldnt mind watching it again.
  34. JustinM.
    May 3, 2002
    Stays true to the work of Dumas, with all the intriguing backstory and backbiting.
  35. PayC.
    Apr 30, 2002
    Half of it was a copy of Zorro, very average.
  36. HeathB.
    Apr 4, 2002
    The best movie I've seen since "Jurassic Park 1." Truly amazing. It didn't have the computerized special effects that most movies have, and that in itself makes this movie superior. The acting was wonderful. Plus the girl of the movie was a babe ;)
  37. AnnaK.
    Mar 29, 2002
    Exciting and thrilling, one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.
  38. RobM.
    Feb 19, 2002
    The best movie that I have seen in TWO years. Outstanding effort by EVERYONE involved! Makes LOTR look foolish.
  39. DianaC.
    Feb 8, 2002
    This movie was a good family movie. My whole family enjoyed going to see and I hope it gets best picture and I hope James Caviezel gets best actor. I think he deserves it. In Kansas we just had a terrible ice storm it was a wonderful escape from our troubles.
  40. ChadS.
    Feb 5, 2002
    The Count of Monte Cristo proves that everybody deserves a second chance. The man responsible for "Waterworld" has made a very entertaining movie. I knew this film was working for me when a reconciliatory kiss between the two lovers didn't make me gag. On the debit side, Luis Guzman's character reminded me of Eddie Murphy's dragon in "Mulan". So I pose this question. IfThe Count of Monte Cristo proves that everybody deserves a second chance. The man responsible for "Waterworld" has made a very entertaining movie. I knew this film was working for me when a reconciliatory kiss between the two lovers didn't make me gag. On the debit side, Luis Guzman's character reminded me of Eddie Murphy's dragon in "Mulan". So I pose this question. If Kevin Reynolds gets to work again, why not Michael Cimino? Expand
  41. LarryC.
    Jan 30, 2002
    Old-fashioned swashbuckler flick, done in rousing style. It's a terrific story and made very entertaining.

1. With more buckling than swash, The Count of Monte Cristo is a good-looking, poorly acted washout.
    Performances by Jim Caviezel and Richard Harris make this a great adventure.
  3. James Caviezel makes us care more about that innocent romantic, Edmond Dantes, than we may care to care about the rest of the picture, which entertains in fits and starts, with startling ruptures in tone.