Miramax Films | Release Date: November 25, 1992
7.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 51 Ratings
Watch Now
EpicLadySpongeMar 21, 2016
Guys, I dare you to do something. Don't cry during the Crying Game. Let's bring in the entire audience and watch this one on our dares and try to survive the entire movie without crying.
SpangleFeb 19, 2016
The Crying Game is a very well made film from Neil Jordan and though it is quite slow at times, the film's thought provoking offers on race, gender, nationality, and sexuality, are too good to pass up. Even if you do not like where the filmThe Crying Game is a very well made film from Neil Jordan and though it is quite slow at times, the film's thought provoking offers on race, gender, nationality, and sexuality, are too good to pass up. Even if you do not like where the film goes, it is hard to admit it does not get those gears in your head to spin a bit. Stephen Rea, Forest Whitaker, and Jaye Davidson, are all phenomenal in a film that covers its topics with great sensitivity and respect throughout. Some call this a psychological thriller or a mystery film. If we are being honest, I have no idea how this is possible. It is not really mysterious nor is it a thriller. To me, it was more of a romance film set during the troubles, which adds a flair of war and some intrigue, sure, but no mystery. Maybe they mean mysterious romance? I do not know, but regardless, The Crying Game is a very well made film with serious heart and passion that makes you think about the issues it raises. Expand
emeraldcitySep 5, 2014
There are not many films out there that have transgender people within their framework.There have been a few more in recent years but to be honest, to me they look about as unappealing as movies can get. Jaye Davidson is intriguing in TCG onThere are not many films out there that have transgender people within their framework.There have been a few more in recent years but to be honest, to me they look about as unappealing as movies can get. Jaye Davidson is intriguing in TCG on a number of levels-his character poses the question probably quite unintentionally-is transgender all about sexual arrogance or is it about something else. We are not sure how to interpret Jaye's character or how to interpret Jaye for that matter either. That type of thing is a common effect pertaining to the subject of transgender in cinema in general-another transgender person-Caroline Cossey wrote a autobiography book called My Story where she alternately describes getting a sex change to consummate a monogamous relationship and then goes on to say that after the operation she went to Italy to 'have some fun' implying fun and games with multiple partners & that there was nobody special in her life at the time of her operation. To me, that is sexually ambiguous. Might sound like I'm making a mountain out of a molehill but there is nothing I hate more than not being able to pin down where someone is coming from. This movie is regarded as masterpiece of modern cinema noir but to me It kind of just exists, like a potato salad. Expand
Compi24Aug 29, 2014
Whether one slices it as an intense thriller, a tragic war film, or even a heartfelt human drama, "The Crying Game" is still a fantastic piece of emotional storytelling.
enerofJan 23, 2007
Probably because the performance of Jaye Davidson which gives kick on the head and gaps!!! Without him, it will run flatly and forgettable. Salute for Stephen Rea, Jaye and Nell. You're awesome!
0 of 0 users found this helpful