7.2

1. AlanD.
    Jan 29, 2009
    Everybody keeps talking about how this ripped off Forest Gump, which is true, but nobody talks about how it also stole a lot from the notebook (which i didn't really like in the first place) It had good special effects but like an hour of the movie wasn't needed it was way too melodramatic and it was too unoriginal. so many better movies from last year. It will probably win best Everybody keeps talking about how this ripped off Forest Gump, which is true, but nobody talks about how it also stole a lot from the notebook (which i didn't really like in the first place) It had good special effects but like an hour of the movie wasn't needed it was way too melodramatic and it was too unoriginal. so many better movies from last year. It will probably win best picture though the academy is due to make a bad pick they've been on a good streak. Expand
  2. aideenM
    Feb 10, 2009
    Boring, trite--with absolutely no character development or insight. Nearly 3 hours of tedium with excellent special effects. But who goes to the movies for merely special effects?
  3. JamesH.
    Feb 6, 2009
    The film seemed to have no point other than to show authentic costumes and sets from its various time periods. I felt no connection to the characters during the almost 3 hour running time. Did the story have a point?
  4. RonL.
    Jan 15, 2009
    It never ended. It was a rehash of Gump. It was flat out boring. IIf you do want to see it wait for it on Netflix. Not worth the ordeal.
  5. JohnHartman
    Jan 16, 2009
    This entire movie is like the ending of "The return of the King", multiplied by 1000.
  6. HelenaO.
    Jan 24, 2009
    This was the worst movie I have seen in my life. I am so mad that its getting all the Oscar nominations, because Brad Pitt can't act, and the actor couldn't string together a good story to save his life. What was with the guy getting struck by lighting? Did that have a point? And please do NOT compare it to Forrest Gump, because that was a masterpiece, and Button was garbage.
  7. QBeing
    Jan 5, 2009
    I agree with Mike la Salle. Long tedious, and without anything memorable. I saw three films the Day I saw button. And I had to be reminded I saw it. Nothing about it was stand out. The title describes it best. Curious. But that's it. otherwise dull, and flaccid. Was happy when it ended.
  8. TM
    Jan 5, 2009
    Very long and uninteresting. While we observe the character throughout his life, there is exactly one line about how it is for him to live this backward life. Except for a few scenes in this three hour movie, there is little to differentiate this from any other movie about the life of a mostly uninteresting person. Button's character may be uninteresting, but the female lead is just Very long and uninteresting. While we observe the character throughout his life, there is exactly one line about how it is for him to live this backward life. Except for a few scenes in this three hour movie, there is little to differentiate this from any other movie about the life of a mostly uninteresting person. Button's character may be uninteresting, but the female lead is just unlikable so the romance narative becomes unbelievable and unable to hold the movie together. Expand
  9. LynneK.
    Feb 24, 2009
    i give this movie a 3 on 10, and its only because of the great make-up they made on pitt's face. i thought brad pitt's acting was horrible, as it always is, and the story wasnt intriguing at all. i wasnt captured by the story, because it was like a series of events happening in benjamin's life and him getting younger and younger, nothing more. The movie is only made to make i give this movie a 3 on 10, and its only because of the great make-up they made on pitt's face. i thought brad pitt's acting was horrible, as it always is, and the story wasnt intriguing at all. i wasnt captured by the story, because it was like a series of events happening in benjamin's life and him getting younger and younger, nothing more. The movie is only made to make viewers imagine how life would be if the clock was turning the other way, but theres no story behind the idea. Kate blanchett is a great actress, but i didnt think she had much to do with what they gave her. Expand
  10. BettyL
    Feb 3, 2009
    If you want to know what it would be like if a man was born old and then grew younger, watch this. However it is a long tedious movie experience with little redeeming qualities, great visually, but the plot lacks certain elements for a good story, such as, characters that make you feel for them.
  11. KatieS
    Feb 7, 2009
    Ponderous, boring. BB's reverse aging actually contributes little to the plot, since he has the mind of a young person in the beginning, and of an old person at the end, so what you're left with is just a conventional life story that has no real individuating elements, just a bunch of nearly randomly assembled elements pulled out of the grabbag of movie cliches: overwrought Ponderous, boring. BB's reverse aging actually contributes little to the plot, since he has the mind of a young person in the beginning, and of an old person at the end, so what you're left with is just a conventional life story that has no real individuating elements, just a bunch of nearly randomly assembled elements pulled out of the grabbag of movie cliches: overwrought military death scenes already a subject for parody in Tropic Thunder. The everything could have been different montage before the tragic accident. Etc. The only real unique interest in the reverse physical aging plot could have come in the last 20 years of Button's life, and there was a potentially good short movie inside this unfortunately long one. It would have involved B having a continuous relationship with his family. An interesting and courageous movie could have shown him as an experienced man in a child's body, treated like a child in society, eventually not allowed to make his own decisions, interacting with his child in the body of a child, having sex with his aging wife as a teenager until they have to stop--the conflict between desire, repulsion, and social restraint there *could* have been an amazing story. But it wasn't to be. And further it was poorly cast; Pitt and Blanchett have no chemistry and aren't plausible as a couple, and Pitt seems a little too dumb in his affect to play "simple" without becoming totally insipid and boring. I didn't like much Forrest Gump much, and in fact thought it's entire value system (Forest's disengagement is purity/Jenny's engagement is corruption) was messed up, but at least in its messed up value system it was an interesting social text. This was just maudlin kitsch. Expand
  12. PauloA.
    Apr 3, 2009
    I was first afraid to watch this (child) but i turned from afraid to ashamed.i mean its like watching a cocoon turn into a butterfly. the promotion of it is getting younger with age, but i just DO NOT FEEL THAT.(SPOILERS) I MEAN SAILING?(SPOILERS END), come on man,everyone of my family members who went with me agreed that it was too long.my dad even said you could use a DVD of it as a I was first afraid to watch this (child) but i turned from afraid to ashamed.i mean its like watching a cocoon turn into a butterfly. the promotion of it is getting younger with age, but i just DO NOT FEEL THAT.(SPOILERS) I MEAN SAILING?(SPOILERS END), come on man,everyone of my family members who went with me agreed that it was too long.my dad even said you could use a DVD of it as a torturing device.if you ask me,i think the director foucused more on the sexual scenes than anything else. i mean come on.but then again,its all me, im sorry if i said somethings that you liked about the movie(not sarcasam).but really, its just too long and meaningless for its own good. Expand
  13. JeffF
    Jun 1, 2009
    Excruciating. Long. Like Forrest Gump without the humor or wit.
  14. JasonR
    Jun 20, 2009
    I really didn't like it, reminded me alot of the notebook (which I hated) and a wannabe Forest Gump. Personally I think the movie had some weak morals, not to get all preachy. I couldn't wait for it to end, because of my girlfriend. It's only enduring quality was wondering what would happen to Mr. Button, although I really didn't care. Pure Cheese.
  15. RyanK
    Jun 5, 2009
    I was no longer curious after this movie wasted 2 hours of my life. One of the worst movies I have ever seen.
  16. SebastianS
    Aug 24, 2009
    Just boring. Exactly like forrest gump, except his travels weren't interesting.
  17. KevanM.
    Dec 25, 2008
    Everything was exquisite except for the story. Very boring!!
  18. ED
    Jan 10, 2009
    Way too long and uninteresting. We get no insight from the title character and do not care about either of the leads. We could not wait for this to be over.
  19. SteveA.
    Jan 15, 2009
    This gets a 1 for Special Effects, a 0 for script, direction and audience-numbing duration. My nephew left after 50 minutes. I envied him for the next long, long 2 hours. Unmitigated codswallop.
  20. Fionaman
    Jan 15, 2009
    Overlong, self indulgent, cliche ridden dreck. It gets a 2 because the cinematography was good. The acting was soulless, the score generic and overwrought. Everything about this film failed. Absolutely hated it.
  21. JenniferM.
    Jan 2, 2009
    This is worst movie I have ever seen. Painfully boring and slow moving. Where the only interesting characters developed during the tugboat scenes and the war they were too soon gone and all we were left with was Cate Blanchett as Katherine Hepburn playing Daisy and Brad Pitt as Forrest Gump playing Benjamin Buttons. Horrible!!
  22. DWilly
    Jan 2, 2009
    This film went from dull to infuriating to jaw-droppingly laughable. There were many others in the theater with me also guffawing out loud, so I know, regardless of the "Million Dollar Baby" like wildly favorable reviews, not everyone swallows this tripe. Pitt is totally clueless about what to do with his part, but then so apparently was the screenwriter who has his droning narration at This film went from dull to infuriating to jaw-droppingly laughable. There were many others in the theater with me also guffawing out loud, so I know, regardless of the "Million Dollar Baby" like wildly favorable reviews, not everyone swallows this tripe. Pitt is totally clueless about what to do with his part, but then so apparently was the screenwriter who has his droning narration at one point launch into a godlike knowingness of events his character couldn't possibly be aware of. Even the great Kate Blanchette makes a fool of herself. It's sad to think of all the wonderful human stories that could have been told with the money spent on this clockwork mess and what is says about an era that embraces it. Expand
  23. KyleW.
    Jan 23, 2009
    This movie takes an idea that existed in a short story, and went all the most obvious ways with it. there was nothing special about this story. there are other stories that involve a man aging backwards that are done with such emotion that watching this movie was extremely disappointing. also, the characters have no personality or redeeming characteristics.
  24. WilliamT.
    Jan 4, 2009
    It took $10 and nearly 3 hours for Hollywood to tell me to cherish every moment no matter what the circumstances of your life? What bloated fatuousness..."The Curious Case of Dick Button" would have been as uplifting. The 2/10 rating is for the serviceable technical aspects of the film.
  25. IgorA.
    Jan 7, 2009
    Uninteresting and too long for it's own good. The style, acting and special effects are great but nothing really happen in it.
  26. Niv
    Jan 9, 2009
    This film is overhyped. Acting was good but the plot is quite predictable and cliched from the start. The long 3hours runtime didnt help either for it seems the some scenes on the film are just for stalling. No one would even bother watching this film if it weren't for brad pitt and cate blanchett on the starrer.
  27. EmilyK
    Feb 11, 2009
    This movie was unnecessarily long; it was well over 2 hours. This movie is extremely slow. The worst part of the movie was Cate Blanchett's narration as an old woman. Her accent was annoying and her words were barely decipherable. This movie tries to be more meaningful than it actually is.
  28. BecquerM
    Feb 15, 2009
    Only for its visual achievement does it deserve any regard, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" is Oscar-winning-cinema at its most cliche (it could, possibly, rival the likes of Titanic); it is a drawn-out story that reveals little about the human condition, the nature of relationships - and, by extension, love -, or what life would be like aging backwards, thereby crushing F. Scott Only for its visual achievement does it deserve any regard, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" is Oscar-winning-cinema at its most cliche (it could, possibly, rival the likes of Titanic); it is a drawn-out story that reveals little about the human condition, the nature of relationships - and, by extension, love -, or what life would be like aging backwards, thereby crushing F. Scott Fitzgerald's quaint story that is packed with so much meaning. Expand
  29. EugeneS
    Mar 26, 2009
    This movie is appalling, 2 hours and 45 minutes of pure monotony. Nothing particularly riveting happens. The plot rolls on at a snails pace with absolutely pointless asides. It's trying very hard to be a mix between Forest Gump and perhaps Titanic without any of the good things those movies had. Best avoided.
  30. TerribleMovie
    May 31, 2009
    This movie was terrible. We ended up leaving half way through, as one was asleep, and the rest of us where about to as well. This movie had a terrible plot, was really creepy and just not very interesting to watch.
  31. JayJay
    May 4, 2009
    Tries to be interesting, but only succeeds on being slow and boring.
  32. DW
    May 17, 2009
    3 for the tech. The plot, dialog, and acting deserve almost a zero. An interminable length for one Hallmark moment after another, punctuated by annoying voiceover and a pointless wraparound story that dragged hurricane Katrina into it. And just awful attempts at "folksy" southern accents. Ick.
  33. BrunoF.
    Jul 23, 2009
    An interesting concept, but a loooong boring movie.
  34. JulieD.
    Dec 26, 2008
    This movie was so incredible boring. I experienced zero connection with the characters and couldn't care less what happened to them. I just wanted the movie to end.
  35. Sep 19, 2010
    Before I launch into the many negative things I have to write about this movie, I'm going to start with the positive elements of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

First, it was cinematically stunning. Visually, it was breathtaking. The money spent on this movie was worth it...to the eyes. Second...well, there isn't a second positive thing I can point out. That's right. I am so

Second...well, there isn't a second positive thing I can point out.

That's right. I am so disappointed in this film that I am literally typing this minutes after leaving the theater.

Where to begin...

There are numerous small things that bothered me about the movie, but didn't necessarily HURT the film. It was entirely too long. And for the length, there was never enough to make me care about the characters. However, the main small component that bothered me is Brad Pitt's complete inability to act. Not that the script called for him to do much, other than look beautiful when he reached the right age, and he did that wonderfully. However, he had very little script with which recite, so when he did, it was mostly in soft-spoken mumbles. And he pulled it off just fine. However, if he gets nominated for an Oscar, I will officially boycott it. There is NOTHING Brad Pitt did in this movie for which he should be nominated. It's pathetic enough that he got a Golden Globe nomination. He did a fine job, but I can name double-digit numbers of performances that deserve recognition over this one.

Those small things didn't destroy the film for me though.

No, what I absolutely hated about this movie was...the script.

The screenplay, based on a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, which I have not read but I hear is SO different than this movie that it was hard to even compare the two. The screenplay was written by Forrest Gump penner, Eric Roth. And how he got away with submitting this script proves that all Hollywood is interested in doing is rehashing popular movies or concepts from the past. And, like lambs to the slaughter, viewers are being sucked in.

So let's compare the job Eric Roth did in Forrest Gump and the work he did with The Curious Case of Benjamin Button...

Forrest Gump centers around the life story of a very a unique male character, complete with all the lessons learned therein. So does Benjamin Button. In both, that central male character narrates his own story.

Forrest Gump has a very strong motherly character that has a very strong influence on the type of person he becomes. So does Benjamin Button. In fact, they both even have a mother-coined catch phrase repeated throughout the movie. In Forrest, "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get." In Button, momma always said, "You never know what's coming for you."

Forrest Gump had "Lieutenant Dan" on the SS Jenny. Benjamin had "Captain Mike" on the SS Chelsea.

Forrest is in love with Jenny who enters, exits and re-enters his life on a regular basis. Benjamin is in love with Daisy who enters, exits and re-enters his life on a regular basis.

Forrest becomes insecure and scared when he realizes he's about to be a father with Jenny. Benjamin becomes insecue and scared when he realizes he's about to be a father with Daisy.

Forrest interacts with historical figures throughout his story and finds himself in wartime situations. Benjamin finds himself in wartime situations and crossing paths with seemingly historical figures, like the first woman to swim the English Channel and Daisy herself being the first American to be invited to dance with the Bolshoi.

Lieutenant Dan talks about trying out his "sea legs" when Forrest asks him why he's on the boat. When Benjamin wants to join Captain Mike's boating crew, Captain Mike asks him if he has his sea legs.

This one may sound like a stretch, but how often does a script call for a character to announce so blatantly that they need to go pee. Well, Forrest did unexpectedly while in a conversation with John F Kennedy, while Daisy unexpectedly announces to Benjamin in the middle of a conversation that SHE needs to go pee.

A couple of times in Forrest Gump, a floating feather takes center-screen symbolically representing how we float through life and how things happen because they are meant to happen. A couple of times in Benjamin Button, a hummingbird unexpectedly takes center-screen to symbolically represent...well, you get the picture.

I could go on, but I'm too disgusted to.

It's plagiarism...or is it just Mad Libs with all the main subjects and names replaced with new ones?

I'm sorry...a good movie starts with a good script. And if the SAME screenwriter writes essentially the SAME script from a previously popular movie, feeds it to me and thinks I'm simple enough to swallow it, I'm going to notice it. And it will remove any ability for me enjoy the film. No matter how many intentional heart-tugging moments this film tries toshove down our throats, I wasn't able to be affected by any emotion in the movie or connect with any of the characters.
  36. May 11, 2011
    Dissappointing. This is one of those movies that pretends to be deep but just isnt. The whole plot just seems to be constructed for Brad Pitt to get younger and better looking as the movie progresses. However there is no reason for this other than to increase box office sales. Forest Gump did not need an unoffcial follow up.
  37. Oct 17, 2013
    what a magical pile of before even watching this movie I correctly guessed that Blanchett and Pitt would meet halfway through his "lifecycle". This is not a movie for me I guess. This is for suckers who are into feel good movies like Forrest Gump.
  38. JimmyS.
    Dec 25, 2008
    The film
  39. CedricC.
    Dec 27, 2008
    I love the soundtrack, and the cinematography/visuals (not involving people) were attractive. I just really disliked the Daisy character (all iterations of) and without that buy-in, the movie is painful (asides from the music and non-peopled visuals). Also, I thought Benjamin Button's depiction was very uneven and that there was no real point to the movie. I was disappointed by the film.
  40. DickS.
    Dec 27, 2008
    If it weren't for the special effects, it would be one star. Self-indulgent, pointless, tedious, disjointed...a horrible film!
  41. scott
    Dec 29, 2008
    Fincher has done to Fitzgerald what Burton did to Irving, why bother calling it an adaptation at all? This flick is dull and Brad Pitt has all the passion of wet cardboard.
  42. DaveM.
    Dec 29, 2008
    Worst movie I have seen all year. Very long, very boring - this is big budget moviemaking at its worst. Trust me, this film is hollow and devoid of merit.
    Dec 30, 2008
    Pitt trying to "act" serious is nothing short of excruciating. Pretentious crap of a movie that demands that you feel privileged to watch it, oh Brad Pitt were not worthy, puhleese.
  44. PatrickK.
    Dec 30, 2008
    For once I agree with the critics...much ado about nothing.
  45. TJ
    Jan 16, 2009
    Boring, Really Boring.
  46. JohnS
    Apr 18, 2009
    As others have said. It deserves at least 2 for the make up and effects. But that is it. What a bore. The guy knows he is going to age in reverse but does nothing with his life. He was a loser. Aside from ading in reverse, he was not the kind of person that you make a movie about. He was dull, got his money from inheritance. Did nothing to improve society. And was not even intriguing in As others have said. It deserves at least 2 for the make up and effects. But that is it. What a bore. The guy knows he is going to age in reverse but does nothing with his life. He was a loser. Aside from ading in reverse, he was not the kind of person that you make a movie about. He was dull, got his money from inheritance. Did nothing to improve society. And was not even intriguing in some quirky way. Go watch Adventureland! Expand
  47. JoelF.
    Dec 26, 2008
    Overrated. The plot was silly and too long, the story with the dying mother and daughter was fairly uninteresting. Acting was bad almost across the board. But the worst part was that the director beat the audience over the head with his 'aging and dying' theme. I realize that this is the core of the movie, but there's a way to embed your theme tastefully, and this fell far short.
  48. BethS.
    Dec 27, 2008
    Tortuously long. I could not care for the characters or this genre of Southern-drawl magical lives tales (ex., Forrest Gump, Big Fish, The Green Mile).
  49. DanB.
    Dec 27, 2008
    Over-long and boring. No real urgency to get your blood up. Very slow and pedantic.
  50. Jan 19, 2015
    Benjamin Button is well directed, well lit and filled with some beautiful imagery. Almost everything else is a problem. There are several dramatic moments in the film, enough to fool an audience into thinking that something profound is happening. But when you start asking the "why's?" the entire premise breaks down and the film has no answers. The events that unfold have no purpose, otherBenjamin Button is well directed, well lit and filled with some beautiful imagery. Almost everything else is a problem. There are several dramatic moments in the film, enough to fool an audience into thinking that something profound is happening. But when you start asking the "why's?" the entire premise breaks down and the film has no answers. The events that unfold have no purpose, other than to create an "earnest" atmosphere. The characters are portrayed in a monotonous and self-obsessed manner and Cate Blanchett, despite here far-fetched talent, turns out to be the most annoying character on screen. The aspect of Button that separates it from most nonsensical melodramas of its sort is that, at its centre it's about a man living life backwards. The most disappointing part of it is that, after watching the movie, I learnt almost nothing about it, certainly not anything I couldn't have predicted myself. Button is no more than a sappy and pretentious remake of Forrest Gump, the only difference is that it has been done backwards this time. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Lyrical, original, misshapen and deeply felt, this is one flawed beauty of a movie.
  2. Superbly made and winningly acted by Brad Pitt in his most impressive outing to date.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    This odd, epic tale of a man who ages backwards is presented in an impeccable classical manner, every detail tended to with fastidious devotion.