7.2

1. Aug 27, 2014
    In ways, Benjamin Button is a new age Forrest Gump. At the same time, they are nothing alike. What they do share is an unique adventure through their troublesome yet exciting lives. Brad Pitt gives a first-rate performance along with Cate Blanchett and Taraji P. Henson.
  2. Oct 25, 2013
    Benjamin Button told an unbelievable story with acting that was superb but what was lacking was something to be felt after its over two and half hour length. The movie passed all measures with story, acting, score and scenery but never pushed the limits to make it excellent.
  3. Aug 31, 2014
    Probably one of the more unique films I have ever seen, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a moving film about life and truly wraps you up into its world and never lets you go, ultimately leaving you deeply affected and moved by the film. The direction by David Fincher is fantastic as usual. The cinematography is also gorgeous and perfect for a film of this type. The costume andProbably one of the more unique films I have ever seen, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a moving film about life and truly wraps you up into its world and never lets you go, ultimately leaving you deeply affected and moved by the film. The direction by David Fincher is fantastic as usual. The cinematography is also gorgeous and perfect for a film of this type. The costume and production design are also pitch perfect, as is the stunning makeup. The makeup is some of the best I have ever seen in a film, honestly. The acting from Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, and Taraji P. Henson, is also very powerful and very good. The unique story of a man born old and who gets younger as time goes on, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a touching, brilliantly made film that is a tad long, but never feels as long as it is, especially since you wish there was more to see once the credits start rolling. While the romance elements have been done before, the unique twist thrown in here adds a certain freshness to it that elevates it above your usual romantic film. This is a film you need to see. Expand
  4. Jun 11, 2013
    Spectacular story about the journey of a life. To see this movie go though all the different decades was incredible. An emotional movie that has something valuable to share. Just splendid. Also, wonderful directing and art direction.
  5. Jan 23, 2013
    Very good movie. Cry, your heart will suffer, but not leave wing time to enjoy.
  6. Apr 24, 2015
    The premise underlying The Curious Case of Benjamin Button might sound more appropriate for a science fiction tale than a meditative drama. Indeed, the concept of a man aging backward has formed the basis for more than one sci-fi tinged story - from novels to an animated Star Trek episode - but the source material for this film is a 1922 short written by acclaimed novelist F. ScottThe premise underlying The Curious Case of Benjamin Button might sound more appropriate for a science fiction tale than a meditative drama. Indeed, the concept of a man aging backward has formed the basis for more than one sci-fi tinged story - from novels to an animated Star Trek episode - but the source material for this film is a 1922 short written by acclaimed novelist F. Scott Fitzgerald. The original "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" functions as little more than an inspiration for this movie, which takes the idea and the name and follows a divergent path from the one mapped out by Fitzgerald. David Fincher's film is its own entity and, despite some minor flaws, it is undeniably engrossing and one of the more intriguing and emotionally resonant features of the 2008 holiday season.

Chaos theory - the idea that small perturbations in the natural order in one place can cause ripple effects to be felt far and wide - lies at the heart and soul of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. The only constant in life is change and it happens whether driven by fate (or kismet) or chance. One delicious vignette provides an explicit example as a car accident results from a series of small, seemingly unrelated interim incidents. Remove any one and that accident would not have happened. And, take away the accident and the rest of the movie would have moved on a different path toward a alternate ending. Life is like that. We never know whether any given action will vanish like a stone tossed into a pond or whether the ripples of that toss will build into a tsunami.

If there's a Forrest Gump quality to the movie, that's unsurprising, considering that the screenwriter, Eric Roth, was responsible for both scripts. Like Forrest, Benjamin is an outcast of society, and history marches by him in a series of vignettes. But director David Fincher's darker side is in evidence. Benjamin does not share Forrest's charmed existence. For him, life is not a box of chocolates, and Jenny does not lie at the end of the rainbow. The ending of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button may feel a little rushed, but it is also elegiac. Many may see this as a more grown-up version of Forrest Gump, but it feels to me like something from the pen of Charlie Kaufman, who enjoys playing with time and conventions in much the way Fincher and Roth do here.

The film is structured to comprise three major segments. The first represents Benjamin's childhood, when his seemingly failing physical appearance is belied by his increasing mental agility. For someone with his disability, he is surprisingly well adjusted, but some of that comes from having a loving mother. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button's second act occurs just before, during, and after World War II. That's when the main character enters into an affair with a middle-aged British woman (Tilda Swinton) in Russia, serves aboard a tugboat during the conflict, and returns home looking more hale and healthy than when he left. Finally, the third piece of the puzzle follows Benjamin from middle age into his golden years, when he learns a few things about sacrifice and redefining life and happiness.

For the most part, the acting is of the highest quality, with supporting performers like Tilda Swinton, Jared Harris (as the captain of the tugboat aboard which Benjamin finds service), and Julia Ormond making the most of limited screen time. Cate Blanchett brings vibrancy and spirit to Daisy. Brad Pitt, however, is marginally less successful. His portrayal is solid but lacks the extra element necessary to catapult it into greatness. When Benjamin looks old, Pitt plays him as old, not as a young man trapped in a much older body. And when Benjamin looks young, Pitt plays him with the verve of a young man, not as an "old soul." The subtleties are missing and this may be the single element that could make it difficult for some to accept the premise.

Although the movie is presented as a series of vignettes, its full impact is not felt until the whole is absorbed. Even the 2005 scenes with Caroline by her mother's bedside feed into what Fincher and Roth are saying about chaos theory, fate, and the sometimes unforgiving jolts imparted by change. In the end, Benjamin's reverse-aging is just a filter that allows us to gain a slightly skewed perception about the process of living and, perhaps by looking through that glass darkly, a better understanding of human nature. Is that too much for a mainstream movie to achieve? Perhaps, and I'm not sure The Curious Case of Benjamin Button takes us as far down that path as it might hope to. But there's no denying the film's power of compulsion and the sense that, when it's all over, it means something. Most viewers will be entertained and moved, and some will find their intellect aroused. The source material may be F. Scott Fitzgerald, but The Curious Case of Benjamin Button has come a long way from where it started 86 years ago.
  7. Aug 27, 2010
    The movie has its little pleasures (such as the man getting struck by lightning and the tugboat captain), but it feels like the "aging-backwards" basis is no more than a playful trick to tell an otherwise normal and uninteresting (and loooonng) story.
  8. Sep 19, 2010
    Before I launch into the many negative things I have to write about this movie, I'm going to start with the positive elements of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

First, it was cinematically stunning. Visually, it was breathtaking. The money spent on this movie was worth it...to the eyes. Second...well, there isn't a second positive thing I can point out. That's right. I am so

Second...well, there isn't a second positive thing I can point out.

That's right. I am so disappointed in this film that I am literally typing this minutes after leaving the theater.

Where to begin...

There are numerous small things that bothered me about the movie, but didn't necessarily HURT the film. It was entirely too long. And for the length, there was never enough to make me care about the characters. However, the main small component that bothered me is Brad Pitt's complete inability to act. Not that the script called for him to do much, other than look beautiful when he reached the right age, and he did that wonderfully. However, he had very little script with which recite, so when he did, it was mostly in soft-spoken mumbles. And he pulled it off just fine. However, if he gets nominated for an Oscar, I will officially boycott it. There is NOTHING Brad Pitt did in this movie for which he should be nominated. It's pathetic enough that he got a Golden Globe nomination. He did a fine job, but I can name double-digit numbers of performances that deserve recognition over this one.

Those small things didn't destroy the film for me though.

No, what I absolutely hated about this movie was...the script.

The screenplay, based on a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, which I have not read but I hear is SO different than this movie that it was hard to even compare the two. The screenplay was written by Forrest Gump penner, Eric Roth. And how he got away with submitting this script proves that all Hollywood is interested in doing is rehashing popular movies or concepts from the past. And, like lambs to the slaughter, viewers are being sucked in.

So let's compare the job Eric Roth did in Forrest Gump and the work he did with The Curious Case of Benjamin Button...

Forrest Gump centers around the life story of a very a unique male character, complete with all the lessons learned therein. So does Benjamin Button. In both, that central male character narrates his own story.

Forrest Gump has a very strong motherly character that has a very strong influence on the type of person he becomes. So does Benjamin Button. In fact, they both even have a mother-coined catch phrase repeated throughout the movie. In Forrest, "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get." In Button, momma always said, "You never know what's coming for you."

Forrest Gump had "Lieutenant Dan" on the SS Jenny. Benjamin had "Captain Mike" on the SS Chelsea.

Forrest is in love with Jenny who enters, exits and re-enters his life on a regular basis. Benjamin is in love with Daisy who enters, exits and re-enters his life on a regular basis.

Forrest becomes insecure and scared when he realizes he's about to be a father with Jenny. Benjamin becomes insecue and scared when he realizes he's about to be a father with Daisy.

Forrest interacts with historical figures throughout his story and finds himself in wartime situations. Benjamin finds himself in wartime situations and crossing paths with seemingly historical figures, like the first woman to swim the English Channel and Daisy herself being the first American to be invited to dance with the Bolshoi.

Lieutenant Dan talks about trying out his "sea legs" when Forrest asks him why he's on the boat. When Benjamin wants to join Captain Mike's boating crew, Captain Mike asks him if he has his sea legs.

This one may sound like a stretch, but how often does a script call for a character to announce so blatantly that they need to go pee. Well, Forrest did unexpectedly while in a conversation with John F Kennedy, while Daisy unexpectedly announces to Benjamin in the middle of a conversation that SHE needs to go pee.

A couple of times in Forrest Gump, a floating feather takes center-screen symbolically representing how we float through life and how things happen because they are meant to happen. A couple of times in Benjamin Button, a hummingbird unexpectedly takes center-screen to symbolically represent...well, you get the picture.

I could go on, but I'm too disgusted to.

It's plagiarism...or is it just Mad Libs with all the main subjects and names replaced with new ones?

I'm sorry...a good movie starts with a good script. And if the SAME screenwriter writes essentially the SAME script from a previously popular movie, feeds it to me and thinks I'm simple enough to swallow it, I'm going to notice it. And it will remove any ability for me enjoy the film. No matter how many intentional heart-tugging moments this film tries toshove down our throats, I wasn't able to be affected by any emotion in the movie or connect with any of the characters.
  9. Jan 19, 2012
    Absolutely beautiful! Long but I didn't feel it because I was caught by the story. Scott Fitzgerald was indeed a great author, and I loved the fact that they were able to portray his work in this wonderful movie. Just because a movie is not 'realistic' and is based in fantasy doesn't mean that there are not important issues to be explored. This movie is about inner strength about havingAbsolutely beautiful! Long but I didn't feel it because I was caught by the story. Scott Fitzgerald was indeed a great author, and I loved the fact that they were able to portray his work in this wonderful movie. Just because a movie is not 'realistic' and is based in fantasy doesn't mean that there are not important issues to be explored. This movie is about inner strength about having the ability to get through life with faith, acknowledging one's limitations yet, fighting to acomplish our goals. It is also about loyalty and courage... and about frustration too, because not everything can be changed since there are things that escape to our hands. It may be over emotional and overly 'optimistic', but it does not diminish its value. It is not a drama, it is not a thriller, it is not a comedy.I wouldn't put it in a specific category...this just IS a wonderful story, written by a great novelist...and brought to be enjoyed in a total different way...the big screen! Expand
  10. Aug 28, 2011
    Benjamin Button is a great mixed bag of a film. Despite it's many problems (length, similarity to Forrest Gump), however, aren't its undoing. The undoing comes in the form of a distinct clash of ideas, inappropriately trying to mesh screenwriter Eric Roth's sentimental and wonderful view of the world with director David Fincher's cold nihilism and rewarding distance from connection. It isBenjamin Button is a great mixed bag of a film. Despite it's many problems (length, similarity to Forrest Gump), however, aren't its undoing. The undoing comes in the form of a distinct clash of ideas, inappropriately trying to mesh screenwriter Eric Roth's sentimental and wonderful view of the world with director David Fincher's cold nihilism and rewarding distance from connection. It is these two moods that tear apart Benjamin Button. Expand
  11. Aug 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON didn't take so long to watch, I would give it either a 9 or a 10. That's how good it really is. It asks (and, in a "curious" way, answers) some of life's biggest and most complex questions. This is Brad Pitt at his absolute best, and even though he's given credit for the role of Benjamin Button, he's only one of seven actors, and we see him as the titular character for about twenty minutes. Expand
  12. Oct 16, 2010
    Crafting a story like this is a feat that is rarely seen in cinema. There is a real chemistry between Pitt and Blanchett and this is coupled by a storyline which gripped me as soon as I had seen the trailer. The story never gets old, much the same as its protagonist.
  13. Dec 31, 2011
    First off, It's a wonderful film. But the great films seem to make you think. You could take the film and state that it was rather "hallmark-ish", but you could also look at the brilliance in it. One of the most down to earth films in recent years, Brad Pitt shines along with the film's stunning cinematography. The only thing weak here is Fincher's decision to direct a film that totals toFirst off, It's a wonderful film. But the great films seem to make you think. You could take the film and state that it was rather "hallmark-ish", but you could also look at the brilliance in it. One of the most down to earth films in recent years, Brad Pitt shines along with the film's stunning cinematography. The only thing weak here is Fincher's decision to direct a film that totals to just way too long, and way too sulky. Though performance weight out substance here. Expand
  14. Jan 19, 2015
    Benjamin Button is well directed, well lit and filled with some beautiful imagery. Almost everything else is a problem. There are several dramatic moments in the film, enough to fool an audience into thinking that something profound is happening. But when you start asking the "why's?" the entire premise breaks down and the film has no answers. The events that unfold have no purpose, otherBenjamin Button is well directed, well lit and filled with some beautiful imagery. Almost everything else is a problem. There are several dramatic moments in the film, enough to fool an audience into thinking that something profound is happening. But when you start asking the "why's?" the entire premise breaks down and the film has no answers. The events that unfold have no purpose, other than to create an "earnest" atmosphere. The characters are portrayed in a monotonous and self-obsessed manner and Cate Blanchett, despite here far-fetched talent, turns out to be the most annoying character on screen. The aspect of Button that separates it from most nonsensical melodramas of its sort is that, at its centre it's about a man living life backwards. The most disappointing part of it is that, after watching the movie, I learnt almost nothing about it, certainly not anything I couldn't have predicted myself. Button is no more than a sappy and pretentious remake of Forrest Gump, the only difference is that it has been done backwards this time. Expand
  15. Dec 21, 2012
    This movie is LONGGG. Very long. So it pays to be into a deep psychological mood or even pondering the meaning of life. Brad Pitt stars as Ben Button. This film, while some complain it is too long, too boring,etc., it is very REWARDING in the end. Sure, complain that it doesn't have a story. It is not one of those light-hearted movies, it is not a comedy; but a genius film that depictsThis movie is LONGGG. Very long. So it pays to be into a deep psychological mood or even pondering the meaning of life. Brad Pitt stars as Ben Button. This film, while some complain it is too long, too boring,etc., it is very REWARDING in the end. Sure, complain that it doesn't have a story. It is not one of those light-hearted movies, it is not a comedy; but a genius film that depicts life in a different way. I thought it was a magical movie, and offered the very best. The camera tells the story, and as a result, I did actually cry at the end. Decide for yourself if you really like it, but I know I did. B+ Expand
  16. Mar 12, 2015
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a weird little - it’s a 2 hours and half - film. The subject is intriguing enough to get you to watch it but you stay because it’s simply captivating. I was so invested in the story that I cried several times while watching it. The film is touching and heartwarming, and also subtle. It seamlessly breezes through times and really brings to life whatThe Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a weird little - it’s a 2 hours and half - film. The subject is intriguing enough to get you to watch it but you stay because it’s simply captivating. I was so invested in the story that I cried several times while watching it. The film is touching and heartwarming, and also subtle. It seamlessly breezes through times and really brings to life what the tagline is about “Life isn’t measured in minutes but in moments.”

The film does go through Benjamin Button’s life and really shows every step, moments, that defined who he is. The movie is very much grounded in reality which makes the fantasy elements of the story real. You quickly believe that a boy born old but with the mind of baby is possible. So the magic is there, grounded in the reality of Benjamin’s life. I don’t know who to accredit this to but it’s very clear, palpable, that when Benjamin is growing up, looking like a man in his nineties his youthful energy shines through.

Brad Pitt, being the title character is just stunning in this film. He helps make the weird aspects of the film OK. The same goes for Taraji P. Henson, she makes the old wrinkled baby the most normal thing, she brought the dramatic gut wrenching emotions of a mother’s love in all her scenes. They all have their moments Julia Ormond, Tilda Swinton and Cate Blanchett all bring another layer, another moment in Benjamin’s life. Blanchett evokes the undeniable question of love, and a lasting one as that. Benjamin’s condition raises a valid question about age and love, which is interestingly dealt with in the film.

More than a riveting story with great acting, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a technical prowess. The make up, the cinematography, and the special effects are mind-blowing Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett look older and then younger and it’s done beautifully. The darkness and lighting in David Fincher’s style of film making really compliments the story but more so the technicality of the film. He was the perfect director for and did an amazing job throughout.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a wonderful film about time, life, and love. It’s another David Fincher masterpiece that is timeless.

@wornoutspines
  17. Feb 11, 2014
    As an elderly woman lies on her deathbed she recounts the peculiar story of Benjamin Button, a man whose life is inexplicably tied to a mysterious backwards-running clock. After Benjamin’s mother dies in childbirth, the father abandons baby Benjamin because of his stark physical defects. Luckily Queenie, a black woman who manages a senior’s care home, finds newborn Benjamin and raises himAs an elderly woman lies on her deathbed she recounts the peculiar story of Benjamin Button, a man whose life is inexplicably tied to a mysterious backwards-running clock. After Benjamin’s mother dies in childbirth, the father abandons baby Benjamin because of his stark physical defects. Luckily Queenie, a black woman who manages a senior’s care home, finds newborn Benjamin and raises him herself. For the rest of his life Benjamin calls Queenie mother.

When Benjamin is born, he emerges prematurely aged. Medical tests show that he has the physical characteristics of a person in his eighties. Originally penned by F. Scott Fitzgerald, makes Benjamin Button tells a peculiar life story that forays in the world of the fantastic: the crux of the story is that, just as the clock ticks backwards, Benjamin too ages in reverse. He gets younger and younger over time.

The task of dealing with this massive disconnect between his physically aged exterior, and his inner infantile self, forces Benjamin to attempt to act like an adult (to match his aged exterior), but no matter how hard he tries his true inner child shines through, especially whenever it comes to booze and women, areas where he has zero experience. Benjamin wins the adoration of most every character he meets, and along the way he breaks through the prejudicial barriers that age and race typically erect.

This film is a diversion for Fincher. Many of the defining qualities of David Fincher’s films are not so very present in Benjamin Button. This charmed, almost magical tale shares none of the characteristic of other Fincher scripts. It is not filtered through the darkened lens of hyper awareness; there is none of the desolation and bleak deconstruction of modern culture that fills Zodiac, the most recently released Fincher film before this one.

Benjamin Button seems to be the only film in Fincher's body of work that is not a dark, psychological thriller. Here, Fincher proves that he can work in drama just as well as he can work in action and suspense, however he does have expert help.

The director of photography Claudio Miranda, who had worked on a number of Fincher’s earlier pictures, sets the tones and temperature of the images so they project like a thriller, dark with shadows, slight, almost sepia toned. A highly refined picture quality.

Once again, this film features Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter, the brilliant editing team that would go on to win multiple Oscars for best editing in The Social Network and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. They brilliantly let visuals alone tell as much of the story as possible. As with Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Benjamin Button has tons of shots and locations. The exact opposite of Panic Room.

Eric Roth & David Fincher

The technique of recounting the story through recollection as a series of flashbacks, as well as Benjamin’s unexpected success despite his handicap, make Benjamin Button bear an off-putting resemblance to the structure of Forest Gump (1994). This is no coincidence.

The same writer who won an Oscar for his Forest Gump screenplay, Eric Roth, is also the writer of Benjamin Button.

As characters both Forest and Benjamin worked on boats, both took part in World Wars, and both perpetually pursue women from their childhood. What is great thought is that Fincher is able to divert this potential redundancy. While Forest bumbles along, simply falling into phenomenal situations, Benjamin paves his own way. It’s existential drive versus dumb luck.
  18. Oct 5, 2010
    David Fincher has transformed a strange plotline of a man who ages backwards into an epic love story, and it is the most touching and beautiful film I've ever seen. You forget the fictional storyline because the direction and storytelling is so flawless. It is a very different look on life, as they say in the film, "Sometimes to understand life you have to look at it backwards". The actingDavid Fincher has transformed a strange plotline of a man who ages backwards into an epic love story, and it is the most touching and beautiful film I've ever seen. You forget the fictional storyline because the direction and storytelling is so flawless. It is a very different look on life, as they say in the film, "Sometimes to understand life you have to look at it backwards". The acting is superb, the make-up and effects flawless and the length of the film goes unnoticed until you look at your watch when the film is over. An absolute masterpiece, and the best film of 2008. Expand
  19. May 11, 2011
    Dissappointing. This is one of those movies that pretends to be deep but just isnt. The whole plot just seems to be constructed for Brad Pitt to get younger and better looking as the movie progresses. However there is no reason for this other than to increase box office sales. Forest Gump did not need an unoffcial follow up.
  20. Sep 28, 2011
    First of all, they actually make Cate Blanchett look kinda hot in this movie with the heavy use of CGI, and I do not find Cate Blanchett hot. That is impressive.

Ok, this is basically Forrest Gump but gloomier, less colorful, and more boring. The main character here is not retarded, but merely aging backwards. Instead of a bird's feather, there's a hummingbird. Instead of a girl named Jenny, it's a girl named Daisy. Instead of a son played by Haley Joel Osmont, it's a daughter played by Julia Ormond. And instead of Vietnam, it's World War II. I repeat, this is a more boring Forrest Gump.

Now with that said, I still recommend this, because Forrest Gump was a hell of a picture. That movie made me cry quite a bit, this movie merely made my eyes tear up. It's incredibly shot, and of course the special effects are amazing. Brad Pitt looks like a freak for the first half, and Cate Blanchett gets turned into an 20 year old. It's long at 2 hours and 47 minutes, so be prepared for that.

Oh yea... while it was enjoyable, this movie does not deserve to be nominated for Best Picture. It's completely crafted to be Oscar bait, but is nowhere near as good as something like The Dark Knight.
  21. Jun 16, 2015
    One of David Fincher's best masterpieces. Though the movie maybe pretty long and some what boring, it still had some action and comedy, interesting characters, an interesting story and concept, and heart wrenching moments that will make you cry, truly they will. The acting is fantastic. This is truly a masterpiece of the 2000s.
  22. Oct 17, 2013
    what a magical pile of before even watching this movie I correctly guessed that Blanchett and Pitt would meet halfway through his "lifecycle". This is not a movie for me I guess. This is for suckers who are into feel good movies like Forrest Gump.
  23. Apr 26, 2012
    This is one of the greatest movies in existence. It's two hours and forty-six minutes of an eerily creative movie that makes you view life differently after it's finished. You won't feel the same after the screen goes black. A pure masterpiece.
  24. Apr 25, 2011
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is perfect in all ways. Never has a film made me so emotionally attached to the characters. This film is very much deserving of every little award it receives, and also the ones it didn't. The simplicity of a love stoy told in such perfection is outstanding. The directing, cinematography, acting, and every part else should have been nominated for anThe Curious Case of Benjamin Button is perfect in all ways. Never has a film made me so emotionally attached to the characters. This film is very much deserving of every little award it receives, and also the ones it didn't. The simplicity of a love stoy told in such perfection is outstanding. The directing, cinematography, acting, and every part else should have been nominated for an acedmy award. The story follows a person who was abandoned by his family, left to be cared by a nursing home. He was born, and he started to age- but backwards. A women named Queenie (Taraji P. Henson) takes him up and names him Benjamin. Once a little older, he meets a young girl named Daisy (Cate Blanchett). He falls in in love with her at first sight. Ands the life of Benjamin Button begins. The avast ray of characters through out the whole film impresses me a lot. I enjoyed meeting the new characters and how they affected Benjamin's life. They always brought warmth and happiness to the audience, telling them that someone is always there for you. The film begins and ends fantastically. It's like no other story ever told. Next, I move on to the acting. This is Brad Pitts best acting ever. Never has he known the character so well and portrayed him with so much emotion. He knows what he's doing as an actor now, and if he keeps this up, he's going to start rolling the Oscar gold in pretty soon. Cate Blanchett was well acted, although we didn't get as much screen time of herself than I would've liked. But that's because the story revolved around Benjamin, not Daisy. So I'm glad we did bet more Pitt than Blanchett. Next, I move on to the visual effects and make up. Basically I'm mentioning them because they played such a big role in this film. The makeup used to make Brad Pitt look older were spectacular. Especially when they used a smaller actor for the body and stuck Brad Pitt's head on top. Amazing. David Fincher's job as a director was spectacular, as well. Every scene he made, he took and changed it into a masterpiece. Never have I seen a movie this well directed. In the end, the message sent in the film, as it is quoted from the film, "We are meant to lose the people we love. How else would we know how important they are?"
  25. Oct 1, 2010
    Despite the fact that this movie was trumpeted upon it's release (two years already?) it's hard to ignore that Button hasn't got much to it. It was quite the opposite to what I thought it would be and it was a very slow and far too long for it's own good. More than anything else though, the movie did nothing but bore once you got past the basic premise, which is admittedly interesting.
  26. Dec 25, 2010
    The movie's long but they got numerous good scenes that they offer. The story of Benjamin Button getting younger in age is still like ageing to other people. I don't know if that's the point of the story though. I do know Benjamin getting younger adds conflict to the romance between him and his lover but that's about it. I'm still loving the love story of the main characters, although veryThe movie's long but they got numerous good scenes that they offer. The story of Benjamin Button getting younger in age is still like ageing to other people. I don't know if that's the point of the story though. I do know Benjamin getting younger adds conflict to the romance between him and his lover but that's about it. I'm still loving the love story of the main characters, although very depressing. Expand
  27. Nov 8, 2012
    The Curious case of Benjamine button is verryyyyyyy longgggggg. Brad Pitt does a great job and i like the narration. It was suprisingly sadder then i expected, but still felt longer then it should.
  28. Nov 3, 2010
    Despite the fact that Brade Pit can't act, once more he gives a feeble attempt at an accent that is terrible. BUT, they keep him quiet most of the time and the movie works well. I loved this flick, really good in spite of Brad's inability to act. Kate is awesome as always and delivers a wonderful performance.. Well worth seeing.
  29. May 16, 2011
    the best film of 2008 hands down. brilliantly directed by david fincher, flawlessly acted especially by its lead actors - brad and cate, from its musical score to cinematography, production design, make up, and its incredibly outstanding visual effects what more could anyone ask for but to witness and enjoy this masterful film.
  30. May 21, 2011
    This movie. I don't know where to begin. Its not just Forrest Gump without the personality. It may be impersonal but thats in part because of the extreme technical quality. I hated this movie the first time I saw it because I missed something and only saw how long it was and how it dragged in many places. Upon second look, I fell in love with it. It has so much charm and magic. Pitt actedThis movie. I don't know where to begin. Its not just Forrest Gump without the personality. It may be impersonal but thats in part because of the extreme technical quality. I hated this movie the first time I saw it because I missed something and only saw how long it was and how it dragged in many places. Upon second look, I fell in love with it. It has so much charm and magic. Pitt acted his role with the perfect amount of humility to make him the character he needed to be. I suggest anybody who hated it the first time take a second look. Expand
  31. Jan 31, 2012
    Beautiful movie, you kinda tear up at the end inside. It makes you soft. Very soft. Watch this with your family or gf, but not your bros. Unless you want to feel a homo moment with your bros.
  32. May 27, 2013
    Probably Mick LaSalle, from San Francisco Chronicle, wouldn't recognize drama even if it danced in front of him without pants. This is the most dramatic and touching movie ever, full of surprises of a whole life story, with all the emotional events that could and couldn't happen.
  33. Jul 12, 2013
    First of all, I don't think the realist elements have done good to this movie. I mean, if the protagonist is meant to be fantastic why is it necessary for us to know when he was born, where is he going, what (real) wars he fought? Superman is like this movie's protagonist, he defies natural laws, like gravity for example. Benjamin Button is doing the same thing with biological laws when heFirst of all, I don't think the realist elements have done good to this movie. I mean, if the protagonist is meant to be fantastic why is it necessary for us to know when he was born, where is he going, what (real) wars he fought? Superman is like this movie's protagonist, he defies natural laws, like gravity for example. Benjamin Button is doing the same thing with biological laws when he rejuvenates, but despite the realistic context where he is placed, no-one seems to be so affected by his unusual nature (and that makes realistic characters behave artificially). Just pay some attention to the title: The curious case..., why case? "Cases" exist only in reality. If the movie would have dwelled in the fantastic, fictional, or whatever you call it domain of the narrative it certainly had been better.

Secondly, and more important, my opinion is that this movie doesn't eventually say much. During the almost three hours length I questioned myself about Benjamin's nature and what philosophical facts should it reveal. But as I tried and tried to build-up my logic I couldn't reach any destination. In fact, Benjamin looked like a simple, ordinary men that lives his life from start to end. He's different from us only because his appearance evolves from old men to infant child. But he is born a child and mentally he's just like us (as he admits).

All my respect to everyone in the production crew because they made a very well-done job, from special effects to acting performances. The story is the major problem here.
  34. Mar 24, 2015
    فیلم سعی داره که تاثیر زمان رو بر زندگی با معکوس نشون دادنش بهتر نشون بده که با کارگردانی و بازی خوب موفق هم شده. ولی نقطه ضعف فیلم زمان زیاد فیلمه که ممکنه تماشاگر رو خسته کنه.
  35. SamS.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Get ready to cry. This movie deserves more than a 70, proving that the "critics" are not always correct.
  36. SteveB
    Jan 1, 2009
    Don't believe the hype! This is not a very good movie. Similar to Forrest Gump, but less engaging. An epic tale about a boy born old, grows up and gets younger as ages, this theme has actually very little to do with the plot, and is really a skeleton on which to hang a a rather dull, rambling story. Brad and Cate are nice to look at, but it's a snoozer with no real conclusion.
  37. DT
    Jan 3, 2009
    It was the same crap that gets eaten up by award judges every year. Nothing new.
  38. ArjunS.
    Dec 30, 2008
    Director David Fincher, does a great job at making a well crafted story and uses great filming techniques to show it. The problem however, lies in the story rather then the way it was pulled off. The story resembles Forrest Gump incredibly and because of this seemed to lack an original flare. This was counteracted though by a stellar performance from Brad Pitt who played the role of a New Director David Fincher, does a great job at making a well crafted story and uses great filming techniques to show it. The problem however, lies in the story rather then the way it was pulled off. The story resembles Forrest Gump incredibly and because of this seemed to lack an original flare. This was counteracted though by a stellar performance from Brad Pitt who played the role of a New Orleans man, as if he was raised there his whole life. The combination of this and Fincher's direction make the film worth seeing. Expand
  39. AlanD.
    Jan 29, 2009
    Everybody keeps talking about how this ripped off Forest Gump, which is true, but nobody talks about how it also stole a lot from the notebook (which i didn't really like in the first place) It had good special effects but like an hour of the movie wasn't needed it was way too melodramatic and it was too unoriginal. so many better movies from last year. It will probably win best Everybody keeps talking about how this ripped off Forest Gump, which is true, but nobody talks about how it also stole a lot from the notebook (which i didn't really like in the first place) It had good special effects but like an hour of the movie wasn't needed it was way too melodramatic and it was too unoriginal. so many better movies from last year. It will probably win best picture though the academy is due to make a bad pick they've been on a good streak. Expand
  40. GregoryR.
    Jan 3, 2009
    Great movie. Visually stunning, moving, and a great adaptation to a bland short story that works itself into a masterful screenplay. Director, David Fincher, does an excellent job with atmosphere, New Orleans is shown in new light. Great movie, one of the best of 2008.
  41. RobertA.
    Jan 30, 2009
    It was very uplifting and had a moral to the story, which is unusual nowadays.
  42. LawrenceH.
    Jan 5, 2009
    This movie is just too long. I don't have a problem with long movies when there is a justifiable reason for the length...
  43. RonD.
    Visually breathtaking.
  44. JoetheCritic
    Jan 7, 2009
    Absurdly long, I was glad it was over. The movie was nothing more of a love story, and had nothing to do with the actual reason to why he was born an old man. Don't waste your time. Too much hype for such a dull movie.
  45. TimM
    Jan 7, 2009
    A mesmerising and heartwarming film from start to finish. There is no big message perhaps apart from enjoying every moment of life while you can and appreciating it in all it's richness. Go see.
  46. aideenM
    Feb 10, 2009
    Boring, trite--with absolutely no character development or insight. Nearly 3 hours of tedium with excellent special effects. But who goes to the movies for merely special effects?
  47. JamesH.
    Feb 6, 2009
    The film seemed to have no point other than to show authentic costumes and sets from its various time periods. I felt no connection to the characters during the almost 3 hour running time. Did the story have a point?
  48. elp
    May 31, 2009
    Can't fault the art direction, cinematography, or the acting, but it's three hours of one depressing scenario after another. if there's anything to take away from it it's that everything is pointless and doomed to misery, not exactly a feel-good movie.
  49. Hollyc
    May 30, 2009
    Held my attention the first third, then began to fall into tepid interest. I could tell it wanted me to care about these great moments, but I just didn't. Also came the epiphany of seeing this before, when it was called "Forrest Gump" --- This really affected the rest of the movie for me as I was constantly comparing everything that was happening in Button to Gump (Roth is shameless, Held my attention the first third, then began to fall into tepid interest. I could tell it wanted me to care about these great moments, but I just didn't. Also came the epiphany of seeing this before, when it was called "Forrest Gump" --- This really affected the rest of the movie for me as I was constantly comparing everything that was happening in Button to Gump (Roth is shameless, for sure). However, the direction, cinematography, VFX and Tilda Swinton were all terrific. Expand
  50. BobbyB.
    Jul 26, 2009
    Benjamin Button went from being elderly to middle-aged in just four years, in this film's hurry to give us a handsome, salable Brad Pitt. That's not the only thing that bothered me about "The Curious Case...". Elderly whites did not shake hands with blacks in the 1920s South. Men did not wear shoulder-length hair in the 1930s. Unless he was very psychic, Benjamin could not have Benjamin Button went from being elderly to middle-aged in just four years, in this film's hurry to give us a handsome, salable Brad Pitt. That's not the only thing that bothered me about "The Curious Case...". Elderly whites did not shake hands with blacks in the 1920s South. Men did not wear shoulder-length hair in the 1930s. Unless he was very psychic, Benjamin could not have known the long list of factors that led up to the Cate Blanchet character being hit by a cab. If the premise is Benjamin aging in reverse and growing mentally sharper each year, why does the film depart from that theme and have Benjamin getting Alzheimer's as a child? When an entire movie is built around a gimmick, I think the gimmick should be given more care than this one was. Some good performances and excellent technology, but unfortunately the movie doesn't live up to the interesting concept. Expand
  51. JimL.
    Jan 1, 2009
    Engaging, moving. Terrific soundtrack.
  52. RonL.
    Jan 15, 2009
    It never ended. It was a rehash of Gump. It was flat out boring. IIf you do want to see it wait for it on Netflix. Not worth the ordeal.
  53. JohnHartman
    Jan 16, 2009
    This entire movie is like the ending of "The return of the King", multiplied by 1000.
  54. HelenaO.
    Jan 24, 2009
    This was the worst movie I have seen in my life. I am so mad that its getting all the Oscar nominations, because Brad Pitt can't act, and the actor couldn't string together a good story to save his life. What was with the guy getting struck by lighting? Did that have a point? And please do NOT compare it to Forrest Gump, because that was a masterpiece, and Button was garbage.
  55. CarlyU.
    Jan 3, 2009
    My best film for 2008. david fincher is genius. cate is wondergul actress.
  56. VerminD.
    Jan 4, 2009
    Way too long, and wreaking of Forest Gump. Also, Brad seems to have been taking acting lessons from Keanu, because his expression hardly changed throughout the whole film. I say expression, when for the most part he was expressionless, his mug showing nothing more than a slightly confused twinge. Tilda Swinton, as normal, saved the day and acted everyone else off the screen, even though Way too long, and wreaking of Forest Gump. Also, Brad seems to have been taking acting lessons from Keanu, because his expression hardly changed throughout the whole film. I say expression, when for the most part he was expressionless, his mug showing nothing more than a slightly confused twinge. Tilda Swinton, as normal, saved the day and acted everyone else off the screen, even though her subplot was of no consequence. A lot has been said about the CGI used during the movie. I didn Expand
  57. DannyW.
    Jan 4, 2009
    WOW! This was a great movie! I saw it with PGA and loved it! The end was so sad and you can tell what will happen to him so when it all comes together at the end it is so sad. But it is left with a giant ? so thats why I gave it a 9. I highly recommend it!
  58. AnnW.
    Jan 4, 2009
    Found this film to be extremely touching and very creative. Brad Pitt is superb.
  59. AlwinD.
    Jan 4, 2009
    Magical! best of 2008 hands down.
  60. QBeing
    Jan 5, 2009
    I agree with Mike la Salle. Long tedious, and without anything memorable. I saw three films the Day I saw button. And I had to be reminded I saw it. Nothing about it was stand out. The title describes it best. Curious. But that's it. otherwise dull, and flaccid. Was happy when it ended.
  61. EmmaN
    Jan 5, 2009
    See this movie. Kate Blanchett and Brad Pitt's performances are amazing. I was thoroughly entertained from start to finish.
  62. TM
    Jan 5, 2009
    Very long and uninteresting. While we observe the character throughout his life, there is exactly one line about how it is for him to live this backward life. Except for a few scenes in this three hour movie, there is little to differentiate this from any other movie about the life of a mostly uninteresting person. Button's character may be uninteresting, but the female lead is just Very long and uninteresting. While we observe the character throughout his life, there is exactly one line about how it is for him to live this backward life. Except for a few scenes in this three hour movie, there is little to differentiate this from any other movie about the life of a mostly uninteresting person. Button's character may be uninteresting, but the female lead is just unlikable so the romance narative becomes unbelievable and unable to hold the movie together. Expand
  63. TonyB.
    Jan 6, 2009
    Extremely well-acted, meticulously designed, beautifully photographed, meaningful and quite moving, a mature film for mature adults...who could ask for anything more?
  64. AdrianV
    Feb 17, 2009
    Thank god, great story, nicely told ,and great acting ...as close as u can get to perfection. I am sick of that overwhelming action just for the sake of it, they did great to keep their feet on the ground as they did.
  65. GailW.
    Feb 21, 2009
    This move was poorly edited, too long, and boring. There was no chemistry between Bard Pitt and Cate Blanchette. A real disappointment - typical Hollywood schlock.
  66. LynneK.
    Feb 24, 2009
    i give this movie a 3 on 10, and its only because of the great make-up they made on pitt's face. i thought brad pitt's acting was horrible, as it always is, and the story wasnt intriguing at all. i wasnt captured by the story, because it was like a series of events happening in benjamin's life and him getting younger and younger, nothing more. The movie is only made to make i give this movie a 3 on 10, and its only because of the great make-up they made on pitt's face. i thought brad pitt's acting was horrible, as it always is, and the story wasnt intriguing at all. i wasnt captured by the story, because it was like a series of events happening in benjamin's life and him getting younger and younger, nothing more. The movie is only made to make viewers imagine how life would be if the clock was turning the other way, but theres no story behind the idea. Kate blanchett is a great actress, but i didnt think she had much to do with what they gave her. Expand
  67. BettyL
    Feb 3, 2009
    If you want to know what it would be like if a man was born old and then grew younger, watch this. However it is a long tedious movie experience with little redeeming qualities, great visually, but the plot lacks certain elements for a good story, such as, characters that make you feel for them.
  68. KatieS
    Feb 7, 2009
    Ponderous, boring. BB's reverse aging actually contributes little to the plot, since he has the mind of a young person in the beginning, and of an old person at the end, so what you're left with is just a conventional life story that has no real individuating elements, just a bunch of nearly randomly assembled elements pulled out of the grabbag of movie cliches: overwrought Ponderous, boring. BB's reverse aging actually contributes little to the plot, since he has the mind of a young person in the beginning, and of an old person at the end, so what you're left with is just a conventional life story that has no real individuating elements, just a bunch of nearly randomly assembled elements pulled out of the grabbag of movie cliches: overwrought military death scenes already a subject for parody in Tropic Thunder. The everything could have been different montage before the tragic accident. Etc. The only real unique interest in the reverse physical aging plot could have come in the last 20 years of Button's life, and there was a potentially good short movie inside this unfortunately long one. It would have involved B having a continuous relationship with his family. An interesting and courageous movie could have shown him as an experienced man in a child's body, treated like a child in society, eventually not allowed to make his own decisions, interacting with his child in the body of a child, having sex with his aging wife as a teenager until they have to stop--the conflict between desire, repulsion, and social restraint there *could* have been an amazing story. But it wasn't to be. And further it was poorly cast; Pitt and Blanchett have no chemistry and aren't plausible as a couple, and Pitt seems a little too dumb in his affect to play "simple" without becoming totally insipid and boring. I didn't like much Forrest Gump much, and in fact thought it's entire value system (Forest's disengagement is purity/Jenny's engagement is corruption) was messed up, but at least in its messed up value system it was an interesting social text. This was just maudlin kitsch. Expand
  69. PauloA.
    Apr 3, 2009
    I was first afraid to watch this (child) but i turned from afraid to ashamed.i mean its like watching a cocoon turn into a butterfly. the promotion of it is getting younger with age, but i just DO NOT FEEL THAT.(SPOILERS) I MEAN SAILING?(SPOILERS END), come on man,everyone of my family members who went with me agreed that it was too long.my dad even said you could use a DVD of it as a I was first afraid to watch this (child) but i turned from afraid to ashamed.i mean its like watching a cocoon turn into a butterfly. the promotion of it is getting younger with age, but i just DO NOT FEEL THAT.(SPOILERS) I MEAN SAILING?(SPOILERS END), come on man,everyone of my family members who went with me agreed that it was too long.my dad even said you could use a DVD of it as a torturing device.if you ask me,i think the director foucused more on the sexual scenes than anything else. i mean come on.but then again,its all me, im sorry if i said somethings that you liked about the movie(not sarcasam).but really, its just too long and meaningless for its own good. Expand
  70. ArielleF.
    May 22, 2009
    "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" started out with a good plot and high expectations for me. But it ended in such a cliche way I almost forgot how good the beginning of the movie was. And am I the only one that felt deja vu? With another movie...let's say...."Forrest Gump" perhaps?
  71. JayH
    May 2, 2009
    Impressive production - the art direction, make-up, and cinematography are magnificent. Brad Pitt is amazing. The story is fascinating. It did seem it's 2 1/2 hour length, a little cutting would have helped, but overall a top notch film that is outstanding.
  72. PeterG
    May 4, 2009
    One of the best movies I've seen in last years. It's worth of success. By me personally it's better than Titanic.
  73. jethroa
    May 7, 2009
    Another hollywood trying to be deep and profound and moving movie that just doesn't cut it. Pretty tepid, but mildly interesting.
  74. EliasC
    Jun 11, 2009
    Despite the seamless CGI work, this film is seriously flawed and bears little resemblance to the F. Scott short story of the same name. Very good acting does not save this overlong film. 'The film version of the 'Time Traveler's Wife', with a similar theme, promises to be better.
  75. JeffF
    Jun 1, 2009
    Excruciating. Long. Like Forrest Gump without the humor or wit.
  76. JasonR
    Jun 20, 2009
    I really didn't like it, reminded me alot of the notebook (which I hated) and a wannabe Forest Gump. Personally I think the movie had some weak morals, not to get all preachy. I couldn't wait for it to end, because of my girlfriend. It's only enduring quality was wondering what would happen to Mr. Button, although I really didn't care. Pure Cheese.
  77. James
    Jun 4, 2009
    Wonderful movie because it is not a ordinary story. Acting was great,movie sets terrific Comparable to Forrest Gump..
  78. RyanK
    Jun 5, 2009
    I was no longer curious after this movie wasted 2 hours of my life. One of the worst movies I have ever seen.
  79. MiKE
    Jun 8, 2009
    The movie had its moments. but overall it felt silly with a serious story. The special effects were excellent! And Brad Pitt is a good actor. He was very enjoyable in this movie.
  80. SebastianS
    Aug 24, 2009
    Just boring. Exactly like forrest gump, except his travels weren't interesting.
  81. KevanM.
    Dec 25, 2008
    Everything was exquisite except for the story. Very boring!!
  82. JohnG.
    Dec 25, 2008
    Soooo slow ... After 2 hours and 40 minutes, I still couldn't tell you what the actual story was about.
  83. GemmaE.
    Dec 26, 2008
    The acting, the themes, the cinematography, the meaning of life and death - this film has it all down pact in the most beautiful and perfect way imaginable.
  84. bobbob
    Dec 26, 2008
    Easy to criticize this movie for length , sentimentality and a likeness to Forrest Gump but truth be told this is a finely crafted work of art with brilliant performances from an all star cast. Movie of the year for me.
  85. KimA
    Dec 27, 2008
    Brad Pitt seemed to have no way into this role. When he wasn't in his beautiful prime, his Benjamin felt like an empty cipher. The make up on the "old looking" Benjamin was distracting; as if a powdery layer was smothering not only the face, but the personality, of Brad Pitt's Benjamin. This was not a movie about a human being, but a movie about an idea. The Ideas were Brad Pitt seemed to have no way into this role. When he wasn't in his beautiful prime, his Benjamin felt like an empty cipher. The make up on the "old looking" Benjamin was distracting; as if a powdery layer was smothering not only the face, but the personality, of Brad Pitt's Benjamin. This was not a movie about a human being, but a movie about an idea. The Ideas were interesting for a time but the lack of truly interesting, felt characters could not keep those ideas alive for two and a half hours. Expand
  86. VinnieG.
    Dec 27, 2008
    Great movie. Touching story. Fantastic acting. joy to watch. Must see for movie lovers.
  87. ChadS.
    Dec 28, 2008
    Dislocation is what piques our interest in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons"; dislocation is the tool of all good science fiction. As a youth imprisoned in an old man's body, or a geezer returning to the womb, that's what distinguishes Benjamin(Brad Pitt) from other protagonists in epics that depict the life and times of the titular person. But the film squanders too much Dislocation is what piques our interest in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons"; dislocation is the tool of all good science fiction. As a youth imprisoned in an old man's body, or a geezer returning to the womb, that's what distinguishes Benjamin(Brad Pitt) from other protagonists in epics that depict the life and times of the titular person. But the film squanders too much time on this would-be carnival sideshow act during Benjamin's middle period, when the difference between his chronological age and his perceived age doesn't seem all that disparate. Perhaps it's the fault of the actor for not conveying that gap; he plays Benjamin as being too comfortable in his own skin. In Penny Marshall's "Big", Josh's(Tom Hanks) actions belie his perceived age, most hillariously, when he takes the top bunk at a sleepover with his co-worker. The Elizabeth Perkins character senses something is unusual about this guy. That's why "The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons" drags. He seems too normal. Shouldn't this guy be touched by a little madness? There's nothing particularly maladjusted about Benjamin that the film can exploit for comic or dramatic purposes. Lucky for Pitt, his leading lady(Cate Blanchett) more than picks up the slack. Daisy's capacity to love Benjamin romantically, then maternally, would have been made even more powerful if this staid exercise in science fiction were informed more by maverick instincts, than Oscar instincts. Their relationship should be put through a similar bathtub test as Nicole Kidman and her partner in Jonathan Glazer's "Birth". In other words, what would Mindy(Pam Dawber) do had she and Mork(Robin Williams) made it to their golden years? Expand
  88. anne8
    Dec 29, 2008
    Amazing movie. instant classic.
  89. R.Lopez
    Dec 29, 2008
    Exceptional!!!The curious case of Benjamin Button is a truly amazing dedication to life and how you should live it. David Fincher's amazing drama tells the story of a man named Benjamin Button, Benjamin isn't like other kids his age. In fact he's like nothing the world has ever seen before, He was a man born old, and as time went by Benjamin started to get younger and Exceptional!!!The curious case of Benjamin Button is a truly amazing dedication to life and how you should live it. David Fincher's amazing drama tells the story of a man named Benjamin Button, Benjamin isn't like other kids his age. In fact he's like nothing the world has ever seen before, He was a man born old, and as time went by Benjamin started to get younger and younger while the people around him get older and die. The curious case of Benjamin Button is a celebration about the meaning of living life to it's fullest. It's an inspiration to all people young and old that just because your getting older doesn't mean you can't live life like there's no tomorrow. I very,very highly recommended this truly exceptional film. Expand
  90. JLR.
    Dec 29, 2008
    Great movie... this generation has found its Forrest Gump.
  91. DoctorTerrific
    Dec 30, 2008
    Halfway into this movie I turned to my lover and both agreed that this movie was terrific. Unfortunately this is a tale that, in my opinion, cannot be brought to a satisfying conclusion. Nice try, Fincher, but I left the theater troubled and disappointed.
  92. MargaretM.
    Dec 30, 2008
    I thoroughly enjoyed the movie! I was completely captivated by the story and found the "pearls of wisdom" scattered throughout the narration very thought provoking.
  93. ED
    Jan 10, 2009
    Way too long and uninteresting. We get no insight from the title character and do not care about either of the leads. We could not wait for this to be over.
  94. DianeM
    Jan 1, 2009
    A fantasy film that is a tribute to certain historical events, as well as New Orleans. Good performances, naturally, (especially "Queenie"), but a little long in getting to the point. My husband complained that I didn't tell him it was a 'chick flick'.
  95. PatG.
    Jan 1, 2009
    This movie is intriguing and thought-provoking. And I barely felt the three-hour length. We've all seen dozens of movies about a long life coming to an end. Somehow, seeing one in reverse casts new lights on loss and love and the search for meaning. Very interesting! I do recommend it.
  96. jessD.
    Jan 14, 2009
    I enjoyed the film. Outstanding Performances and the story which is always interesting and while long moves along at a leisurely pace detailing Ben Button life from birth to death in age reversal. Excellent photography, music score and a great job from Director Fincher.
  97. JW
    Jan 15, 2009
    A great movie. Some sections of the movie are a bit slow and the hospital scenes are awkward. Yet the positives far out weigh the negative. This is a very well paced 3 hr moves, about life, death and the love espierienced within.
  98. SteveA.
    Jan 15, 2009
    This gets a 1 for Special Effects, a 0 for script, direction and audience-numbing duration. My nephew left after 50 minutes. I envied him for the next long, long 2 hours. Unmitigated codswallop.
  99. Fionaman
    Jan 15, 2009
    Overlong, self indulgent, cliche ridden dreck. It gets a 2 because the cinematography was good. The acting was soulless, the score generic and overwrought. Everything about this film failed. Absolutely hated it.
  100. blankalibi
    Jan 17, 2009
    Just so good. Great acting and an interesting story.

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Lyrical, original, misshapen and deeply felt, this is one flawed beauty of a movie.
  2. Superbly made and winningly acted by Brad Pitt in his most impressive outing to date.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    This odd, epic tale of a man who ages backwards is presented in an impeccable classical manner, every detail tended to with fastidious devotion.