5.9

1. kitty
    Jul 6, 2008
    I absolutely loved this movie! I was completely entertained, and I have never read the book so I had no idea how it was going to end, which was a nice change since I normally have movies all figured out by the halfway point.
  2. Aug 1, 2011
    easily one of the best films i have ever seen i think that it really finds a way to connect with the audience and makes you think about things in a different perspective
  3. Nov 23, 2011
    Fantastic Movie full of suspense. Of course the story is setup, of course Hollywood is greeting us. But if you want a great entertainment after work see that movie. I very much enjoyed doing so. Same as Part 2 the "Illuminati"
  4. Aug 30, 2013
    Excellent and epic!!! I really enjoyed that picture!! The music from Hans Zimmer was perfect and I want to watch it again!!! A surprisingly excellent crime thriller!!!
  5. StanR.
    May 20, 2006
    We saw it last night with a group of 6. We all really liked the movie and cannot believe we saw the same movie that the critics have slammed. The audience clapped at the end and generally seemed to like the movie. It held our interest and told the story without skipping any important points. It is a thinking person's movie- maybe the reviewers didn't want to think. Sure, it We saw it last night with a group of 6. We all really liked the movie and cannot believe we saw the same movie that the critics have slammed. The audience clapped at the end and generally seemed to like the movie. It held our interest and told the story without skipping any important points. It is a thinking person's movie- maybe the reviewers didn't want to think. Sure, it isn't the book, but that's a different medium. Expand
  6. JaredD.
    May 19, 2006
    Best movie of the year. The critics were wrong. If there was never a book before this movie, people would be applauding the film. This beats out anything put out by the film industry lately. Very entertaining. Everyone at the premiere I went to loved it.
  7. GodComplex
    May 20, 2006
    This movie is smart, like the book. A lot of idiots are going to see this and not get it.. They haven't read the book, and they don't know much about history, which menas they are lost after the first five minutes. ::shruggs:: I'd ignore idiots/critics alike. God see it if you know your history, read the book, or are just a bright cookie!
  8. JoshuaM.
    May 21, 2006
    I'm suprised at the harsh reviews the movie is getting from a substansial amount of critics, I wonder if they were caught up in the negative publicity the release of it into theaters is causing. I read the book and it was a fantastic piece of literature fiction or not. The Vatican should actually be thanking author Dan Brown to begin with for renewing interest in the church. When I I'm suprised at the harsh reviews the movie is getting from a substansial amount of critics, I wonder if they were caught up in the negative publicity the release of it into theaters is causing. I read the book and it was a fantastic piece of literature fiction or not. The Vatican should actually be thanking author Dan Brown to begin with for renewing interest in the church. When I looked at the first reviews that it got from the Cannes film festival I was pretty shocked and as I saw more and more negative reviews pour in from all over I knew something was wrong. Critics cannot always be trusted becuase sometimes they buy into the negative contoversy surrounding something and basically go with the flow. I thought the film was a fantastic adaptation and a very solid thriller even if you didnt read the book. Ron Howard did an excellent job in adapting the material into a visually arresting film that a larger audience can enjoy. My advice go see the film dont always believe what the critics have to say if you read the book you'll definatly enjoy the film and if you didnt you still will because it has a great cast and a great story that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end. Expand
  9. HelenB.
    May 20, 2006
    Fantastic movie, very true to the book. But this movie is sure to get mixed reviews, it depends on your beliefs, that's why there is so much contrast in the reviews we are getting by the critics. Plus critics make mistakes sometimes. they're only human. The movies is great, loved it. Casting was well done and the settings were amazing. The acting is pretty good, not as bad as Fantastic movie, very true to the book. But this movie is sure to get mixed reviews, it depends on your beliefs, that's why there is so much contrast in the reviews we are getting by the critics. Plus critics make mistakes sometimes. they're only human. The movies is great, loved it. Casting was well done and the settings were amazing. The acting is pretty good, not as bad as the critics said it was. Expand
  10. SuzanneR.
    Jul 26, 2006
    Excellent movie. It is well worth your money to see this film. Usually after reading a book, the movie is such a let down, but not this time. Again, this is a great movie.
  11. MikeJ.
    May 19, 2006
    Much better than the book! But that's not saying much. I rate it high because I think it is a very tough book to make into a good movie, especially a big summer movie, and I think they pulled it off. Entertaining and interesting.
  12. LouisB.
    May 19, 2006
    The critics were wrong.The movie was entertaining and fast paced.The actors were good and were faithful to the book.
  13. Doc
    May 21, 2006
    Never read the book, but I've read the critics reviews and was expecting to be disappointed...seriously, if you want to see this film, go see it, because it is a classic in the making. What's up with the acting? Tom Hanks? he's just his usual self again in this film, on form. I think the response from the media is bizarre to say the least, maybe other powers are at work Never read the book, but I've read the critics reviews and was expecting to be disappointed...seriously, if you want to see this film, go see it, because it is a classic in the making. What's up with the acting? Tom Hanks? he's just his usual self again in this film, on form. I think the response from the media is bizarre to say the least, maybe other powers are at work here... heh. I dont think the critics are really helping by giving away key parts of the film in their reviews, I knew the big bombshell before even seeing it, just because of the spoilers their giving away. Basically I think this film has been hyped so much that it was on the cards that it would get slated... Just too many people have read this book, its not a fantasy film were adaptation can be based around alot of creative elements which most people can not envisage, but a story which every individual has their own perception of what it should be.. and looks like the critics had a collective image of what this should have been, what that is I dont know.... Collapse
  14. LiamHuang
    A pleasant surprise!
  15. KelliD.
    May 22, 2006
    Like others have said before, the rating reflects more on personal views than the review of a great movie. The movie is very true to the book and the actors to their characters. If you enjoyed the book, you will enjoy the movie. It is just as fast paced as the book and the two and a half hours will be gone before you know it. Don't let your personal convictions stop you from truely Like others have said before, the rating reflects more on personal views than the review of a great movie. The movie is very true to the book and the actors to their characters. If you enjoyed the book, you will enjoy the movie. It is just as fast paced as the book and the two and a half hours will be gone before you know it. Don't let your personal convictions stop you from truely enjoying a great story. Expand
  16. VIllyD.
    May 23, 2006
    Don't read the critics. It's just a very very good movie. True to the book and with a great cast. It's a must see!
  17. DarrenS.
    May 26, 2006
    Absolutely superb, a real compliment to the book. Hanks really won me over as Robert Langdon, and Ian McEllan is a show stealer. One of the best movies i have seen in years, Dan Brown should be happy.
    May 20, 2006
    I did not read the book. I thought it was a very well done screenplay. The plot was interesting and had a good amount of twists. It's based on enough fact to make it believable fiction. It is fiction nonetheless.
  19. B.Brand
    May 30, 2006
    A little more academic information than in your usual film -- sort of like a Nat'l Geographic or Discovery Channel-type film -- but that's entertaining to me. Even knowing the story, I was never bored. Good direction. Ian McKellen is fantastic. Paul Bettany, Jean Reno show great talent. Hanks plays a button-downed cynic prof. Tatou is engaging to watch.
  20. R.Lopez
    Jun 6, 2009
    When the book was released in 2003 following the huge success of Dan Brown's other novel Angels & Demons. No one not even Dan Brown himself could have Imagined what a huge global phenomenon The DaVinci Code would be, the book has been translated into almost every language it's old out millions of copies all over the world, and I happen to have a copy at that. SO when I heard When the book was released in 2003 following the huge success of Dan Brown's other novel Angels & Demons. No one not even Dan Brown himself could have Imagined what a huge global phenomenon The DaVinci Code would be, the book has been translated into almost every language it's old out millions of copies all over the world, and I happen to have a copy at that. SO when I heard they were making one of the greatest books in modern history into a film to tell you the truth I wasn't real all that optimistic, so when I went to go see the DaVinci Code in theaters during it's opening weekend I was floored and utterly stunned by how amazing and accurate this film was to the book, albeit they changed some things but that's the film industry for you. Now seeing it again after four years and it's still amazing. Tom Hanks turns in an amazing performance as Robert Langdon who will soon be considered one of the greatest literature characters of all time, Langdon is soemthing of an enigma, he follows no code or by no means any standards and he always puts everything of himself to save lives at no cost to his own. Tom Hanks brings to life a character that people have come to love and admire. And he's done it with his own style and grace, Langdon isn't just some character on a page anymore no he;s been brought to life in an exceptional way the only the likes of Ron Howard and Hanks could. The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown was a global literary phenomenon but now it's also a global film phenomenon as well. I know allot of of fans put down this movie due to some minor changes that were made but if you look past that this movie will not disappoint. Unlike most books brought to the silver screen, this one is faithful and very thought out. It's not some half baked movie like Kiss the girls or it's sequel.No the DaVinci Code was made to be exactly like the book as much as possible and they did very well in my opinion, this movie is not prefect and it doesn't pretend to be, this movie is well thought out and made but at some parts it falls a little short of overwhelming. But if you see the bright side to this film and if you look at it for the great movie that it is, you definitely won't be disappointed. All in all The DaVinci Code delivers great any day entertainment. Expand
  21. EricaJ.
    Nov 17, 2006
    Very Good, Even though I am ignorant to religion It described background info enough that I undertstood what was going on. I was kept interested and excited about what would happen next.
  22. EzequielB.
    May 18, 2006
    Great movie like a religious X-Files, full of conspirations and secrets to solve. Best actor: Sir Ian Mackelen.
  23. NatS.
    May 19, 2006
    I can't believe this is getting such bad/poor reviews. The only people who would not like this movie are either devout Christians who are offended (not saying they shouldn't be), or people who read the book and were disappointed. I went in expecting to be disappointed but I was completely wrong. I read the book, too, and there was nothing even wrong or left out. Part of me is I can't believe this is getting such bad/poor reviews. The only people who would not like this movie are either devout Christians who are offended (not saying they shouldn't be), or people who read the book and were disappointed. I went in expecting to be disappointed but I was completely wrong. I read the book, too, and there was nothing even wrong or left out. Part of me is thinking that these bad user reviews are Christians who just hate the book, and who haven't even read it, and are just trying to discourage people from seeing a great movie. Otherwise, there is no reason to give it a 0 or a 1. That is how I know, a movie with Tom Hanks and directed by Ron Howard can't be a 0 or 1, even if it is below average. Trust me, see this movie, don't let reviews prevent you from seeing it. If you're interested in seeing it, then see it, and then you can hate it later. But in my opinion seeing the most controversial movie for the next ten years is worth 10 bucks in itself, even if you don't like it. Expand
  24. Joh
    May 19, 2006
    Great movie, very close to the book, misses some details but this is to be expected in the film version. It's the novel come to life on the screen.
  25. AshleyH.
    May 21, 2006
    I thought the movie was fantastic! I enjoyed it visually as wel as the acting, I don't understand why people are giving it bad reviews?
  26. ChrisF.
    May 21, 2006
    One of the most mind-expanding experiences I've ever had. I have begun to question the very foundations of my beliefs and it is all thanks to that movie. I loved the chemistry between the two leads, and Ian M did a GREAT job. 10/10 Awesome.
  27. LaresaV.
    May 21, 2006
    Having not read the book, I didn't really know what exactly I was looking for plotwise. I found the movie to be highly entertaining and enjoyable. The plot was interesting without being terribly confusing, the acting was (for the most part) fabulous, and it was overall a visual beauty.
  28. PeterP.
    May 21, 2006
    Great movie based on a great story based on a fiction. Don't forget it !!!
  29. Raptorman
    May 21, 2006
    Surprise, surprise, surprise! 50 percent of the people loved it. 50 % hated it... and about 50% of the populous consider themselves devout Christians. Hmmm. could this explain the middle of the road critical score(48). Of the 50% who didn't like it, my guess is that most of them had opposing religious beliefs. The fact of the matter is... the Da Vinci Code, whether you agree with the Surprise, surprise, surprise! 50 percent of the people loved it. 50 % hated it... and about 50% of the populous consider themselves devout Christians. Hmmm. could this explain the middle of the road critical score(48). Of the 50% who didn't like it, my guess is that most of them had opposing religious beliefs. The fact of the matter is... the Da Vinci Code, whether you agree with the research behind it or not is a wonderful onscreen adaptation of a wonderful book. Do not trust the bad reviews! Howard gives a thoughful, intelligent, and "true to the book" directing job. The acting is good for the most part with some truly amazing performances. The character who plays Silas was downright spooky, Teabing was awesome! Hanks who played Langdon started off a bit wooden, but that was the character and he had to play him that way. Many scenes were deeply disturbing, but well done. If a 2.5 hour movie is not your cup of tea, if you are catholic, or if you like straight action or romance films you will probably dislike the film. If you have an open mind, like a little intellectual exploration and you are not a slave to the powers that be, definately see this film. You will not be disappointed. Expand
  30. ChrisG.
    May 21, 2006
    I didn't read the book, so expectations were non-existent. It is a slow, talky, film - but entertaining and suspenseful. An excellent movie I highly recommend for those who like think.
  31. StanE.
    May 22, 2006
    I wondered if I was watching the same movie so universally slammed! My wife and I enjoyed it, the people we went with enjoyed it (we had all read the book) and the sold-out theatre applauded at the end. It presented a good mystery, making you think a little. The way they highlighted the important parts of each picture was very helpful and the ghostly images of the crusades was done well. I wondered if I was watching the same movie so universally slammed! My wife and I enjoyed it, the people we went with enjoyed it (we had all read the book) and the sold-out theatre applauded at the end. It presented a good mystery, making you think a little. The way they highlighted the important parts of each picture was very helpful and the ghostly images of the crusades was done well. I thought Hanks and Tautou played well against each other (she was nothing like Amelie). I don Expand
  32. JuliusC.
    May 22, 2006
    The film was pretty damn good, a great adaptation of the novel. I don't understand the critics. I heard they were afraid of the reaction of the religious right. They missed big time.
  33. Totto
    May 22, 2006
    Dont be afraid friends!, its only a movie, good actings, and script, I still believe in God, this doesnt change anything.
  34. Corey
    May 22, 2006
    I thought Ron Howard's version of The Da Vinci Code was absolutley breathe taking. With a story like that, an actor like Tom Hanks and free publicity from the catholic church, we couldn't ask for more. For the record however half of the critics bad mouthing this movie and/or book probably don't have the attention span or the brain capacity to truely appreciate such a fine I thought Ron Howard's version of The Da Vinci Code was absolutley breathe taking. With a story like that, an actor like Tom Hanks and free publicity from the catholic church, we couldn't ask for more. For the record however half of the critics bad mouthing this movie and/or book probably don't have the attention span or the brain capacity to truely appreciate such a fine work of art. Overall I give tha movie a 9.7. Expand
  35. ThomasMayer
    May 22, 2006
    Sorry.. but this was a sorely under-rated film by the critics. A great little murder mystery and some interesting talking points for future religious discussions.
  36. JoeM.
    May 22, 2006
    I almost missed going to see this movies because of the poor reviews, I'm glad I didn't. I went to see it with my wife and kids and we all enjoyed it. I never found it boring, it held my interest thoughout and even my son said it did not feel like a 2 1/2 hour movie. My wife read the book, I have not and we both thought this was a great movie.
  37. Rachel
    May 23, 2006
    The DaVinci Code really held my attention and played to it's strenghths. I thought the film was outstanding!
  38. GeorgeB.
    May 23, 2006
    For the life of me I can't figure out why the critical response to the film was so negative. I don't buy into conspiracy theories about religion nor do I think that the studio paid off the NY Post. My best guess is that critics were mad that they were not allowed to pre-screen the film and when they saw it, they were agast that it was not a typical summer blockbuster. Kudos to For the life of me I can't figure out why the critical response to the film was so negative. I don't buy into conspiracy theories about religion nor do I think that the studio paid off the NY Post. My best guess is that critics were mad that they were not allowed to pre-screen the film and when they saw it, they were agast that it was not a typical summer blockbuster. Kudos to Howard and Goldsman for crafting a subtle Htichcockesque thriller willing to rely on people talking rather than people running and driving through a series of rapid edits and loud explosions. Perhaps if the film had been released in the fall or early winter the reviews would have been kinder. After all, we have been conditioned to believe that movies releaswed between May and September must be more MTV and less thought provoking. Expand
  39. BryceG.
    May 24, 2006
    This movie is amazing. If you enjoy movies like National Treasure where all the clues fall together you will enjoy this movie which takes you on an adventure back in time in search of the holy grail. This movie is intense, slow at some parts, fast-moving in others with twists and puzzles all about.
  40. WarrenI.
    May 26, 2006
    Great fun. Critics are afraid to rate it properly because of topic.
  41. SarahF.
    May 27, 2006
    The catholic relegion and Crhistianity are base on lies, crimes, power, money and politics. I hope people can see the thruth. Thank you for this movie.
  42. TiarS.
    May 28, 2006
    As i personaly had not read the da vinci code prior to seeing the film i found the motion picture superb in direction,acting,music nd persona. people are only criticising it for being what it is, no matter how good it actualy is. it is not particularly difficult to follow, you simply have to pay attention. there are many superb twists and the film exposes the fact that the vatican keepsAs i personaly had not read the da vinci code prior to seeing the film i found the motion picture superb in direction,acting,music nd persona. people are only criticising it for being what it is, no matter how good it actualy is. it is not particularly difficult to follow, you simply have to pay attention. there are many superb twists and the film exposes the fact that the vatican keeps many secrets hidden form the world. they deny that mary magdelane wrote a gospel when i find it very hard to believe that someone so close to christ, and who was perfectly literate(she writes letters in the gospels) did not record anything about the life of jesus and his works. and what of the gospel of st. thomas, as shown in the film stigmata? the vatican is filled with dark secrets, and they will be exposed as time moves onward. Expand
  43. LaryC.
    May 28, 2006
    I don't know what the early critics were talking about. After discovering my old buddy Roger Ebert liked it, my wife and I decided to give it a chance and we LOVED it.
  44. JeremyO.
    May 30, 2006
    This was a terrific movie, absorbing, interesting, insightful. Much of the criticism of the movie stems from the fact that it was a subtle and inteligent mystery, not the emotional burlesque that many Americans except from films.
  45. BruceB.
    Jun 28, 2006
    I found this film to be entertaining, entrigueing, engaging, and even insightful... The fact the film is a "faithful" adaptation of a VERY successful novel, is, i am sure, not a problem for the millions of fans of the book! I do think that it does take some original looks at the story, and manages, at times to add to the background of this now epic material! Despite the fact that all the I found this film to be entertaining, entrigueing, engaging, and even insightful... The fact the film is a "faithful" adaptation of a VERY successful novel, is, i am sure, not a problem for the millions of fans of the book! I do think that it does take some original looks at the story, and manages, at times to add to the background of this now epic material! Despite the fact that all the expected critics panned this film, as well as a large number of less well known critiques, the truth is that they ALL miss the point made perfectly clear by Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct: That if you have a critical mass of "Suspension of Disbelief," you can lead the audience pretty much anywhere, and they WILL follow! Interestingly, I didn't read the novel, but that didn't seem to help or hurt my suspension of disbelief level... Ron Howard had me right from the start! Despite all deconstructive- cat out of the bag critiques of much of Dan Brown's material, the CENTRAL concept: That Jesus was married, had a child, and that her bloodline continues on through history... seems least burdened by all the complaints! It is covered material... as found in The Gospel of Thomas, and The Gospel of Mary. So, all that said... I like the film, I rate it as 10, and I think that it is quite possible it will win several Oscars! Expand
  46. HannahB.
    Jul 22, 2006
    I actually really liked this movie better than I expected, it's always hard to adapt a book into a movie and I think they did a fine job. Casting was pretty much good and Tom Hanks is fine as Robert Langdon. Given the fact that in the book we don't know much about Langdon's personality anyway so I think Tom Hanks was fine as usual. Audrey Tautou was good especially for an I actually really liked this movie better than I expected, it's always hard to adapt a book into a movie and I think they did a fine job. Casting was pretty much good and Tom Hanks is fine as Robert Langdon. Given the fact that in the book we don't know much about Langdon's personality anyway so I think Tom Hanks was fine as usual. Audrey Tautou was good especially for an English speaking role which is not her native language. Paul Bettany, which I never heard of I actually thought he was French until I looked him up! Ian McKellen is always great, and just how Teabing should be. Jean Reno was fine and convincing. And Alfred Molina was okay for the Bishop although that role could have easily been dropped. The backgrounds and sets are amazing and spot on and the story is just how the book is. What gets me is that some people didn't enjoy the story but that should not be an issue because the movie should follow the story or else it wouldn't be a book adaptation! So people who didn't like the story I think shouldn't be reviewing this movie at all or else it would just be a contradiction! Great movie, Critics too harsh (as usual), not offensive because it's fiction remember. If it's not too late go and see it you shouldn't regret it and if you didn't like it come and complain to me! Expand
  47. NathanG.
    Dec 29, 2006
    One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Anyone who hates this movie is either a religious wackjob or someone with no attention span.
  48. James
    May 18, 2006
    Faithful adaptation of the novel, but simplified some of the more complex elements. Fans of the book should enjoy while those who have not read the book might get lost in the dialogue.
  49. Cori
    The Da Vinci Code
  50. JanY.
    May 19, 2006
    It's a fiction and should be seen as a fiction. Does it compliment Dan Brown's book? Yes, in the visual sense and it does include cleverly concocted clues and riddles to keep me glued to the screen. As a thriller, it succeeds to keep my eyes, ears and brain cells ticking from beginning to end.
  51. AmberH.
    May 19, 2006
    Excellent work. In the light of fiction. Well casted. Tom Hanks was perfect for the role and very believable. A little drawn out in the beginning but overall a very entertaining watch! Must see for all.
  52. TomH.
    May 22, 2006
    One would have to be very smart, or very dull to see the movie for the cult classic it will become.
  53. LawrenceF.
    May 22, 2006
    Many professional critics are wrong! This is a fun, fast pased movie. The cast are terrific and the cinematography stunning. Opus Dei is not bashed - only manipulated by unscrupulus clergy (not a big problem in the contempary church, but there, none the less). Fiction is supposed to be entertaining, and this is.
  54. MargaretF.
    May 23, 2006
    I absolutely loved this movie! Although it left out some parts or rearranged them from the book, the movie challenges the Catholic faith and makes me think more deeply and intuitively about my own faith.
  55. MitchO.
    May 23, 2006
    Don't understand the bad rap this movie is getting. Especially those who say they liked the book but didn't like the movie. Ron Howard seemed particularly faithful to the book. Where he made changes it was definitely for the better. In many ways, the movie makes all of it seem much more plausible than Dan Brown's book did. Really nicely done. Don't believe the hype. Go Don't understand the bad rap this movie is getting. Especially those who say they liked the book but didn't like the movie. Ron Howard seemed particularly faithful to the book. Where he made changes it was definitely for the better. In many ways, the movie makes all of it seem much more plausible than Dan Brown's book did. Really nicely done. Don't believe the hype. Go see it for yourself. Expand
  56. RiccardoT.
    May 25, 2006
    Very good film. The church have been fear, because, now the people can open their eyes, on the fable of the church.
  57. AlanF.
    May 29, 2006
    Terrific entertainment. The historical Chistianity angle makes the movie more than the typical thriller. Hanks is always fun to watch and acts the Langdon part well. I enjoyed seeing places that were referred to in the book.
  58. Feb 6, 2012
    I enjoyed this movie. The story was fascinating if you ask me. The ones who disliked this movie are probably some fanatic christians who are blindly following the Catholic church, or maybe they really didnt like this one. I am a muslim and we believe Jesus too, but not as a god like Church people do, just as a prophet. So this movie was an interesting one.

1. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Director Ron Howard and screenwriter Akiva Goldsman have conspired to drain any sense of fun out of the melodrama, leaving expectant audiences with an oppressively talky film that isn't exactly dull but comes as close to it as one could imagine with such provocative material.
  2. Da Vinci never rises to the level of a guilty pleasure. Too much guilt. Not enough pleasure.
    Ron Howard's splendid The Da Vinci Code is the Holy Grail of summer blockbusters: a crackling, fast-moving thriller that's every bit as brainy and irresistible as Dan Brown's controversial bestseller.