8.4

1. Jul 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. "The Dark Knight Rises" was an enjoyable film, which is enough for me to at least give it a yellow rating. What pushed it to the green was the excellent use of music, specific camera angles, and the source material. I will break down each.
    Music can make or break a movie for me. If the music is good, I am happy. Hans Zimmer has always done a great job of bringing movies to life with his scores, and this is no exception. For those who have not seen this film, I am about to give a spoiler here.

The theme music of this film reflects the title "Rises" and has you very excited and makes you feel the beat of the revolution that Bane and his army are creating. In the first half of the film this theme music excites but also frightens you. It makes you cringe in your seat and hold your breath, because you know that this awesome, ruthless, overwhelming, seemingly unbeatable force is coming. The music pounds and ripples along with Bane has he tears his way through Gotham and eventually beats Batman to a pulp and breaks the Bat's back.
    But then something very interesting happens with this music in the second half, or perhaps I should say the third act. That beating, pounding, powerful music suddenly switches and becomes not Bane's theme, but Batman's. As Batman repairs his broken body and finds the strength within himself to do what only one other has done, rising from the 'Pit", the theme music lifts you up and you realize that Bane and his bad guys are in so much trouble and they don't even know it.
    I won't say much about camera angles because I am not a film studies expert or anything. But I can say I enjoyed the way this film pulls you into big and small events, whether it is a grand view of Gotham city that makes you feel like you have been swept up in Bane's revolution or are flying through its skies along with Batman, or gives you the anxiety of Batman as he is trapped in a fight in the sewer with the hulking Bane.
    Lastly, I want to talk about the connection to the comic books. This is where I am sure some ultra-fans might be upset because, "Hey, they changed this and that," and, "That wasn't in the comics." To those fans I would ask what examples they have of any comic book, book, play, video game, cartoon series or action figure franchise that was ever made into a film that followed the original source material exactly. Here is another moment where if you have not seen the film I will be spoiling some surprises.

It is made clear in the credits that this film was based on the characters of the DC Universe. It is not a perfect detail by detail recreation of the comics, but a film based on the characters. I think that it was an absolutely wonderful interpretation. Nolan did a great job of taking the characters, relationships and stories and making his own decisions about what to use and where to make his own connections. And he did tend to connect characters who as far as I know had no connection in the comic books, and combine stories and change characters as he saw fit. And it was amazing and new and fresh and even though we have seen seven Batman films before this one it was somehow still very engaging and did something none of the others did, it gave Batman a happy ending.
    Oh sure, Batman always wins. Batman beats the bad guy. The bad guy ends up dead or in jail or in the mental asylum. And Batman dusts himself off and runs off into the night to continue fighting bad guys. He wins, but it isn't necessarily a happy ending in the traditional sense. He has no satisfaction, no family, no love, no relaxing. It's just onward to the next grueling battle with the underworld.
    But "The Dark Knight Rises" finally did something the other movies could not do. It let Batman retire happily, not old and broken and scarred but young and able to still have a normal life. Not only that, he gets to go off to France with Catwoman and, I like to imagine, open up a pastry shop.
    To conclude, this was an incredibly fun movie to experience and I recommend seeing it. I will say that I saw it on a regular theater screen and I encourage folks to save the money because it was fantastic and did not need the 3D or the IMAX to make it good.
  2. Jul 21, 2012
    Excellent film . Superb acting specially by Hathaway and mind blowing music by Hans. there are many twists to keep you engrossed in the movie. though it is quite a bit long you will enjoy every bit of it
  3. Jul 21, 2012
    This movie is perfect to say the least. The scale of this film trumps the Dark Knight, but does that mean its good? YES!!! The Joker is by far one of my favourite movie villains but Bane makes me rethink that. This movie has a really nice plot, great acting, and nice camera work. I really recommend seeing this film in IMAX as that is the definitive experience for those who wan to see this masterpiece. Expand
  4. Jul 21, 2012
    This film is amazing. i had goosebumps throughout it was great. Everyone should see this film it has my love of action and romance all roped around a core of batman. loved every second of it and il be rushing out to buy the DVD when it is released. I might even see it again.
  5. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is one of "THE BEST MOVIE'" I have seen in a very long time..I mean the movie has to be seen to be believed...It's a pure masterpiece in terms of story-telling,action and the depth with which each character is developed....This movie has set a benchmark for future batman and superhero movies to look upto...One of the best conclusions to one of the most critically acclaimed and successful trilogy of all times....See you at the Oscars!!!! Expand
  6. Jul 21, 2012
    another master piece from the mind of nolan 2h 44 minutes of genius excitement at every corner but it has things that the dark doesn't have twists that's the reason why I gave it a grat score not as good on a cinematic level as dark knight but the shocks you get from the film are amazing best film of the year top avengers and prometheus
  7. Jul 21, 2012
    i havent given review to any movie but this is an excellent movie Spectacular end to a trilogy.Chris Nolan proved that he is one of the top direct'r.....
  8. Jul 21, 2012
    Nolan has crafted a spectacular finale to one of the best trilogies ever. Sure it doesn
  9. Jul 21, 2012
    A truly grand movie. Packed with explosion and thrill. Gripping till the very end, especially the last one hour. Also quite a thriller with twists and turns till the very end.
  10. Jul 21, 2012
    Enorme película!! Sin duda es un gran cierre a la mejor trilogía jamás echa sobre superhéroes. Personalmente me pareció mejor "the dark knight" por eso mi nota real seria de 9 mejor dicho de 9'5...pero viendo las criticas injustificadas le daré un 10.
  11. Jul 21, 2012
    most awesome movie ever........................................................................10/10.
    please do watch it.........................................
  12. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises was an EPIC and i say EPIC once more!! In my opinion what the critics say "EPIC LETDOWN" is utter crap! It was just perfect and much better than i expected! Action sequences were wicked! It wasn't boring for me or my friends who watched. Filled with suspense and a really amazing climax, i would say, there can't be a better finale to the trilogy. Worth every penny! MUST WATCH!
  13. Jul 21, 2012
    awesome film..a lil boring at the start...but picks up pace...and by the end its a classic...the awesome end..the lil twist with who was behind the master plan....christopher nolan i am a huge fan...take a bow sir...yet another classic from u...u have to be the best director/writer around as far as action/mystery genre goes...awesome stuff...if avengers was the best movie this year for you...u have to see this one to make up your mind...awesome stuff!! loved it... Expand
  14. Jul 21, 2012
    I think, in my opinion it was the best movie I've ever seen. Incredible finish to an incredible trilogy, it added a layer of sophistication to comic book movies that has never been done before and will hopefully lead to a new generation of comic book movies. Congratulations Christopher & Co. Looking forward to seeing where Syncopy goes from here.
  15. Jul 21, 2012
    Not only was it even better than The Dark Knight, it was probably the best movie I have seen in my entire life. The story was gripping and tense, the characters were incredibly well acted (even the much doubted Anne Hathaway did an exceptional depiction of Selina Kyle) and the ending was just the most satisfying feeling after the movie had you on the edge of your seat throughout. The movie was 160 minutes, yet felt like it flew past with incredible speed.

I'm even going to go as far as to say Bane was an even better villain than Heath Ledger's Joker. He wasn't as well acted, but as a match up to Batman, he provided more of a challenge.

I've read a lot of reviews, and any of the negative ones are rubbish. Clearly done by people who have never paid attention to anything Batman related, apart from the movies and complained about the amount of new characters being introduced. Anyone who actually read Batman comics, watched animated movies and TV series or played the Arkham Asylum/City games will have known the new characters introduced, and the impact meant more to them within the story.
  16. Jul 21, 2012
    This is how you end a trilogy. Nolan, executes with almost sheer perfection. Are there areas where I felt it could have been done better? Yes. Can I still look past those and enjoy the epic saga as a whole? Definitely. This is not a typical superhero movie, while most people may find the storyline little hard to follow and convoluted, but those who know, loved the comics and their characters, can relate where Nolan tried to take this. It is a beautiful movie, and you feel attached to most of the characters and their personalities. Unlike in other superhero movies where everyone tries to be funny with stereotypical one-liners, all gung-ho and win it all at the end of the day, Dark Knight Rises and it predecessors were unique in the sense that it's not only about triumph over evil. It's more than that. It's more about loss, sacrifices, perseverance, consequences and failures that is associated with it.

Nolan, I would like to thank you for the gift that you have given us Batman fans. The gift that we can savor for many many years to come. I wish you'd continue to make more Bat movie because as of now you left most of us hungry for more.
  17. Jul 21, 2012
    epic. certainly these three batman movies form a whole, this being my favorite, definitely a perfect ending. as said another film critic batman trilogy does this child look around the marvel universe
  18. Jul 21, 2012
    This is truly the best movie of all time. The reason I say this is because it delivers the perfect ending and brilliant storyline to the most anticipated Batman movie of all time, and the most anticipated ending to a trilogy of all time. The opening scene/s are jaw dropping and is/are the perfect way to start the Dark Knight Rises. A top of the line cast, with terrific performances from each and every one of them. Christopher Nolan does a fantastic job of delivering a perfect plot that is deep yet perfectly poised and told. The visual effects as well as the overall climax and sheer power of each scene are second to none. Tom Hardy, Bane really is the ultimate villain, second only to Heath Ledger, The Joker. An incredible experience that keeps all of the true faithful Batman fans beyond happy, along with all other viewers happy and thrilled due to the great acting, plot, and execution. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises truly is an untouchable trilogy that tops the list among all the others. Christian Bale is Batman, and this film is without a doubt a masterpiece beyond the limits of what we all thought was achievable. The Dark Knight Rises is the ultimate experience. Expand
  19. Jul 21, 2012
    Running at about 2 hours and 45 minutes, this movie is an full hands on anxiety attack. Christopher Nolan delivers his capstone to the wonderfully created Batman trilogy with "The Dark Knight Rises", and boy did he deliver. From its riveting action sequences to the carefully plotted out character arcs, "Rises" keeps audiences on the edge of their seats throughout the entire duration of the film.
    The story line is virtually flawless. The phenomenal pairing of Christopher Nolan and his brother Jonathan on the script continues to deliver from film to film, and it sure shows up here. The reason why Nolan's Batman is so impeccable is the fact that everything that happens in the movie could possibly happen in real life. The threats are real, the villains are real, the effects are real, and the emotions are real. "Rises" grips you tighter than any of the other previous Batman's, because Nolan has delivered two previous amazing movies that give you a sense of urgency. You want fulfillment to Bruce Wayne's legacy, and this does just that. As the movie goes on, Nolan keeps dropping weights on the structure of the movie every second he gets. It builds, and builds, and builds, until its absolute and utter breaking point. Some people might argue that the story has too much build, but I completely disagree. This is the perfect amount of suspense, because as the end draws near, the audience is anticipating that tiny leaf that causes the structure to collapse. In the movie, Bane (Tom Hardy) holds Gotham in his bone-crushing hands for five whole months, he even gets the entire nation's attention by holding them at bay from his terror attack. And whilst in the theater, it feels as though you are with these characters for five months (Not because of the run time, but because of the suspense. I know what you were thinking). In the end, Nolan delivers a masterpiece of storyline and scriptwriting. There was not one moment where I felt that the script lacked, or the plot contained holes. However, the "meat and potatoes" of this Film could not exist without the acting.
    Christian Bale once again amazes audiences with his extreme dedication (did you see the amount of weight on his face that oscillated as the movie progressed) and incredible acting. He once again proves how he is the best Batman to date. Morgan Freeman (Lucius Fox) and Michael Caine (Alfred) continue to show how the are two of the worlds most respected actors. Michael Caine brings the entire audience to tears at least twice, if not three times. His acting is just dead on. He captures Alfred so well, that it defeats the performance of the very hard-to-beat, and loveable Michael Gough from the original series. Also returning to the trilogy is the wonderful Gary Oldman (Jim Gordon), who you just can't help but love. Oldman's acting is stunning and he brings something new to Gordon every movie. Now as far as the newcomers to Nolan's Batman, they steal the show. Anne Hathaway (Selina Kyle) knocks it out of the park. Her portrayal of Catwoman is superb, and is by far the best one yet. Her sleek attitude is perfectly executed, as well as her faked emotions and persona when she's "on the job". Hathaway brings the perfect blend of evil, stubbornness, likability, and good to Selina Kyle. Her contrast and change throughout the film is wonderful to watch, and you just can't help but fall in love with her. But to Catwoman's temporary evil is the "necessary evil" of Tom Hardy's Bane. Hardy is the perfect villain. His mask is terrifying, but it covers up most of his face. But that right there is the beauty of Hardy's wonderful performance. The fact that he only has two ways of acting below the face and pulls it off is unbelievable. Tom's vocal performance is stunning. Especially in his and Batman's first fight underground. He grips the audience with sheer fear when he talks. But perhaps the thing that tops off Bane is his eyes. Bane holds the entire emotion of his performance in his eyes. His monologues could just be spoken with them alone. And lastly, Marion Cotillard (Miranda Tate) fulfills the hole that was left to us by Rachel, and she does a fantastic job. And it was so nice to see Cillian Murphy (Jonathan Crane) and Liam Neeson (Ra's Al Ghul) again. Now for the parts I wasn
  20. Jul 22, 2012
    Fantastic ending to Nolan's trilogy. Had to see it a second time to really appreciate the plot, nuances, dialogues and ending. Simply brilliant. Worthy to be seen a few more times in theater until the blu ray comes out!
  21. Jul 22, 2012
    An exceptional end to the Nolan Bat-films. A truly epic film that contains some of the most emotional pieces of the trilogy. The movie contains many plot threads and subtle clues that one can only pick up from multiple viewing. Excellent acting from all cast members, complex and moving plot, tied off with a soaring score by Hans Zimmer that is truly outstanding. This spectacular Batman movie completes one of the great trilogies of all time. Expand
  22. Jul 22, 2012
    Nolan's trilogy is a difficult one in hindsight - the three films are all very different beasts which happen to share the same story arc. The first, a traditional superhero film with incredibly realistic undertones, the second, essentially a thriller - and this installment feels like a disaster film. For me, at least, it was quite jarring - I've seen the first two so many times my initial viewing was almost destroyed by the weight of expectation; the flaws so pronounced simply because I demanded there be none. However, the conclusion was stunning, a perfect end to a nearly perfect trilogy. Bane was genuinely terrifying, Catwoman pitch perfect, and once you can accept the new characters encroaching on this familiar space the film only becomes more sublime and epic. A terrific conclusion that will please fans of the comics, films, games - anyone who shares the love for perhaps the finest superhero will love this film and will leave the theater deeply touched. Nearly universally brilliant performances, including the best screen portrayal of Bruce Wayne yet, sublime villains (although Ledger's Joker is an impossible act to follow) and fantastic one off characters like only Nolan can deliver. A second viewing, where you can take in detail, accept the new characters and appreciate the sheer scope of vision will perhaps leave you as awe struck as you've ever been. Expand
  23. Jul 22, 2012
    An epic ending to a masterclass trilogy. if viewed as individual films ' The Dark Knight ' has a slight edge over ' The Dark Knight Rises ', but as a culmination of a series the movie is the best superhero movie of all time.
  24. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is a fitting end to the dark knight trilogy. It has a brilliantly crafted plot that brings the trilogy full circle, a few minor niggles prevent it from surpassing The Dark Knight but these are forgivable considering this film wasn't what Nolan had originally intended. It is however Bales finest performance as Bruce Wayne most notably in an emotionally charged scene with the equally brilliant Michael Caine, and Tom Hardy's Bane phenomenally scary and portrayed brilliantly (which is an incredible feat considering he had half of his face covered). All in all a great film which focuses mostly on the development of characters than supplying you with gimmicky action set pieces, i guarantee you will enjoy as long as you're not overly sensitive to minor plot holes. Expand
  25. Jul 22, 2012
    I think The Dark Knight Rises is one of those movies that you should watch in your life! It was exactly what I expect. I like catwoman character, Bane was not perfect as joker was, but BANE was good!!! I think costume design was perfect specially Bane
  26. Jul 22, 2012
    Christopher Nolan reinvents Batman in a powerful and much darker way. Batman Begins is a gripping and compelling origin of the hero. The Dark Knight is a lot more serious, realistic, and powerful Batman movie. The Dark Knight Rises is the last of the series. It is ought to be larger and better. It does succeed to be the biggest of the rest of the series. Although, it's not as as superior as The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight Rises is still a fantastic and grand cinematic experience.

Every sequel gets bigger and bigger. The threats are getting worse and worse. The Dark Knight Rises is more than just big stuff. There is always suspense that keeps the movie exciting. The best thing about the action is it's not about being pretentiously cool, but it is made to give you anxiety to the fights of Batman between the enemy. Tom Hardy nailed it as Bane. He brings a lot of fear and menace to it. It's different to The Joker but Bane is an intriguing villain.

Most of the movie is the anarchy in Gotham and Bruce Wayne's suffering. There isn't much action fighting in those scenes. What matters here is how you can feel the danger of the characters. The chaotic turn of Gotham really looks bleak and grim that makes you think everybody is doomed. Compelling and heartbreaking emotions is always there.

Much credit goes to Christopher Nolan. Despite from its almost three hour run time, the film is well fast paced and completely entertaining. His action scenes are totally different to the action scenes of movies these days. He's focused to the thrills than looking cool. Some fistfights can be a little underwhelming, but he's best at the chase scenes. The CGI is obviously good and not excessive.

The Dark Knight Rises is a lot more daring than anyone would expect. It's one of those superhero movies that cares more to heroism than just action. The scale is large and it is so explosive. That is the usual formula of all blockbusters, but here, it uses it in a darker and suspenseful way. The Dark Knight Rises is just beyond your expectations. It's also a fitting end of this amazing trilogy. I still think The Dark Knight is the best of the three. That movie is something you can't compare to any other film. Even this and Batman Begins. But hey, The Dark Knight Rises is such an excellent grand experience.
  27. Jul 22, 2012
    I waited in line for nearly 5 hours to see this film in IMAX on the midnight premiere, and waited another 2 hours sitting in the theatre. And OH MY GOD WAS IT WORTH IT!!!
    The thing that I always loved about Nolan's Batman films was the reality basis that they had, and of course the great performances in them, as well as the writing, directing, cinematography, visuals, EVERYTHING!!
  28. Jul 22, 2012
    the dark knight rises beats the avengers the first half was a bit slow but what can we say about a near hour movie. the climax was so great that it cant be described in words.clearly it knocks out the avengers.felling much relaxed after watching the movie but i wanna see it again
  29. Jul 22, 2012
    Excellent. incredible. The best movie. 1000 times better than avengers. Exciting and a great fight at the end, good dialogues. Wonderful and epic ...
  30. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So, have you seen "The Dark Knight Rises" yet? Well quit what you're doing right now, and go see it--For this is a more than just another Batman movie. The reason "Batman Begins" was so good is because it led up to "The Dark Knight". Well this third installment of the "Dark Knight Trilogy"is exhilarating. Not only does "Rises" live up to the hype, the hype actually made Gotham feel like a real city before the movie was even made. It made it appear as if Gotham was indeed about to be under attack by the monstrous Bane played by Tom Hardy. With that said, the plot is "Inception" like with its subtle intricacies that we simply cannot process in only one sitting. This may have frustrated the critics who believe the plot was too complex. They. Are. Wrong. Tom Hardy's Bane is what Bane deserved to be turned into. Michael Schumacher's Bane tarnished one of Batman's coolest and interesting foes. The "Rises" Bane is exactly what we wanted to see. Sure, Joker and Scarecrow did cool tricks to mess with our dark hero; but Bane serves up a can of popcorn-worthy-kickass so big that my jaw literally dropped. This is what you've been waiting for--a villain for Batman that punches through bricks and collapses men's throats in one second. The fighting is accompanied by some very interesting dialect as well. Hardy's voice is so entrancing that we have no choice but to gulp when he and batman come face to face. He sounds like a gentleman, but hits like a bruiser. Nolan delivers a villain that scares us--not because of the way he looks--but because he does what the Joker could not: He beats the living hell out of Batman. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's John Blake's story encapsulates what we want in a young newbie to the franchise: someone with the moral compass of the movie. Someone who guides us in our interpretation of the storyline. Michael Caine is back with some spunk, and we see much more of Morgan Freeman than ever (which is pretty awesome, too). Oh, and, uhh, Catwoman? Hathaway does something spectacular. She transforms one of Batman's most celebrated villains? allies? or both? into a believable creation of a "Cat" identity. She doesn't attract cats, and she doesn't have a tail (Thank god). But she is both sexually enticing as well as violently cruel. She brings what few actresses could to the table. We are very aware of the consequences of her actions in the film, and it made me happy to see her role as something far more expansive than I could have imagined. If you go and see this movie, do not expect the psychological thrill that The Joker gave us. It can't be redone, and it will probably never be redone. What you will see is something far more emotional than The Dark Knight. What we have here is the rebirth after the perpetual life and death of Batman in "Begins" and "Dark Knight". Nolan never stops hammering away at plot movements, and puts forth some very complicated yet very important ideas here. 9/10 here folks. I don't give it a 10/10 because that is what "The Dark Knight" deserves. Batman is the hero Gotham deserves, as well as the one it needs in this final installment of the "Dark Knight Trology, and I can't wait to see it again! Expand
  31. Jul 22, 2012
    It's the best movie I've seen. Magnificent performances, nolan IMAX uses very well. Spectacular. Bale, Anne and Hardy are great. No one should miss. 10/10
  32. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Saw The Dark Knight Rises last night. Such a great movie. I'm gonna mini-review it with no spoilers. Better than Batman Begins and The Dark Knight? It's so hard to say. Each movie seems so different and I love each one. The whole 3rd act of this movie is just insane. The returning cast was amazing as usual. Anne Hathaway was so good as Selina Kyle and I absolutely loved Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Tom Hardy was great as Bane in every way except for his voice. It just did not work for me. It wasn't totally distracting, it just sounded almost cartoon-ish. Bane and Batman's fight scenes where brutal as hell. I just wish Batman would have used his gadgets a bit more. That's how Batman beats all these foes that physically out match him. The IMAX looked absolutely gorgeous and I totally recommend seeing it in IMAX. I just don't think it was used better than Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. The IMAX in MI4 was used so perfectly because it totally sucked you in and completely enhanced the scenes. During the whole Dubai sequence, you actually felt like you where up there with Ethan Hunt. TDKR just used the IMAX to make everything look absolutely stunning.

ALRIGHT NOW I'M GOING INTO FULL SPOILER MODE. I'M GONNA TALK ABOUT THE MIND BLOWING ENDING IN FULL DETAIL! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!!!

I LOVED the ending. Mouth hanging open the whole time. From the moment Miranda Tate revelaed herself to be Talia al Ghul all the way up to the very ende with Alfred spotting Selina and Bruce. I loved every second of it.

Lets start with MIranda Tate. I had heard the rumors about her being Talia and I totally felt that she would end up being her. So the whole time I was watching her like a hawk trying to spot anything that would give her away. So during the siege of Gotham I'm thinking "Damn, maybe she won't be Talia because you figure she would have revealed herself by now." And then right before she revealed herself she had on this outfit that seemed very Talia like and I'm like "Oh **** here it comes, and then BAM! The big reveal! Even knowing she was going to become Talia I still loved it. I can't wait to here what people who had no idea thought about it. And btw, Marion Cotillard was so good as Talia al Ghul.

Then there is the ending where Batman flies the nuke out to sea and sacrifices himself to save the city. I didn't catch on to the whole Auto-pilot thing so I thought Bruce Wayne really died. I went in to the movie thinking Nolan would kill him off. So before we all found out Bruce Wayne was still alive I'm thinking to myself "Holy **** DC has done it. They have just created the perfect way to kick-off there DC Movie-verse and lead into the Avengers!"

So this is why I think DC has just created the perfect begging to there DC Movie-verse. Think about it. The hero of a city just sacrificed himself in the most selfless way. The city hated Batman for YEARS and then all of sudden he dies for them. How inspiring is that? So inspiring that Clark Kent hears of this selfless act that he become a hero! And then Diana of Themiscyra! And The Flash! And all the other DC Heroes! Then they come together and become THE FRIGGIN JUSTICE LEAGUE!

It's perfect to because Bruce Wayne is still alive! He can come back and pick up the mantle again! John Blake aka ROBIN (That reveal totally blew me away) can be the Batman or even Nightwing for awhile and then Bruce can come back whenever. And here's the thing, it doesn't have to be Christian Bale. This is where studios need to learn that we don't need reboots. They need to start looking at Superhero movies the same way they look at the Bond movies. Keep the characters story going but just swap out actors. Just because Christian Bale and Christopher Nolan have told the story they wanted to tell, that doesn't mean we need a reboot explaining Batman's origin again. The only movie I would see DC rebooting is Green Lantern. The tone of that movie doesn't gel with the tone that Nolan's Trilogy and The Man of Steel has established.

Let's just hope DC takes advantage of this amazing set-up and doesn't reboot Batman.
  33. Jul 24, 2012
    Easily a film that lived up to the hype. Well acted and written, I was completely caught up in the world that was created. Except for a couple of flaws, it was a near perfect moviegoing experience. Loved the new Catwoman. Really enjoyed all the different interactions between the characters. The finale was very appropriate. Overall, the film really felt epic. Wish there were more films like this. Expand
  34. Jul 23, 2012
    Being a fan of the batman trilogy I was kind of skeptical when I saw the trailers. A man in a gas mask? Doesn't seem too scary. But after watching this I was blown away. Blown away by the actors and actresses performances, the stunts, and the awesome explosions. Anne Hathaway surprisingly pulled off catwomen really well which at first i didn't think she could do I loved everything about this movie, well maybe not everything...I didn't absolutely love the ending but it was pretty good. Now all I want is Christian Bale kicking more butt on the big screen!
    I hope that there will be another Batman movie in the future!
  35. Jul 23, 2012
    The wait was fruitful as I saw the movie on the very first of its release. The movie will add laurels to the career of Nolan and I want to thank him for presenting my best comic hero so well on screen. TDKR is a well thought end to the series and the way Nolan has innovated the background of the characters, be it Cat woman or be it Robin,is commendable.Now on not only I am a big fan of Batman but also of Nolan, the year brain behind this awesome series which will always be remembered by movie and batman lovers.One more important thing was the way in which the three parts were connected with each other. Every character has its importance and series couldn't be thought of as a success if any one the characters is removed. Such was the level of brainstorming involved in the project. Hats off to the maker and the actors Expand
  36. Sep 1, 2012
    This movie is awesome.Better than The Avengers and The Hunger Games.Too much action.It's incredible the action.I thought that there isn't a hope.But it has a hope.
  37. Jul 23, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is the best movie ever, their is always thing you shall thing twice about and under the whole movie i was entertained, the movie had so many plot twist that ist keep the movie injoignable the whole time, watch the movie if you... oh what is it im saying just watch it because it is a amazing film and you will not regret it :D
  38. Jul 23, 2012
    Astounding! A movie that will have you experience every emotion that you can imagine, from fear to hate to sadness. A fitting end to the greatest trilogy ever made.
  39. Jul 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best of this year so far, breathtaking great script,acting and story is better then in dark knight in my opinion. The ending just awesome,this is the last film of trilogy,so your imagination will complete the story after ending. That would be great if Nolan filmed spinoff for how Blake become Nightwing or spinoff with catwoman. Expand
  40. Jul 25, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises has everything. The dark, serious tone used throughout the trilogy, amazing acting performances, a great plot that supports its nearly 3 hour run-time, and enough explosions and awesome fight scenes to satisfy action junkies. It ends Christopher Nolan's perfect superhero trilogy, in a perfect and memorable way.
  41. Jul 25, 2012
    Simply stunning- Filled with everything from fast pace car chases to hand-to hand combat to mind blowing evil, the twist will make you totally rethink the movie. This is a must see (Several times) and I will b the first in line to buy it when it comes out on DVD 10/10 all the way
  42. Jul 26, 2012
    at the oscar screening someone told that no one was exited ,but i would like to say that if no one was exited than why they went for the movie no one is capable of capturing sir nolan's visionary story telling by combinig the technicality with the human emotion so intimate. it's truly another masterpiece from the greatest director of all time and looking forward to see all his movies. and i would condemn the colorado shooting. Expand
  43. Jul 27, 2012
    A sequel to "The Dark Knight" is a challenge by definition, since it's extremely difficult to surpass the film's incredible plot and majestic performances (especially Heath Ledger's). "The Dark Knight Rises" surprisingly manages to live up to its formidable predecessor with excellent visual and sound effects and new characters with a storyline that will leave the audience completely thrilled and entertained. Expand
  44. Jul 27, 2012
    One word to describe this movie is EPIC. It completes The Dark Knight Trilogy perfectly, even though Bane is not as great as a character as the Joker, the character was still amazing. Highly recommended.
  45. Jul 27, 2012
    GO SEE THIS MOVIE! It had so much expectation to live up to with the first two installments of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy but oh it delivers!

The cast as always is fantastic and they deliver some great performances here. The ambition of the story is epic and covers so many bases. I am just so impressed with what Nolan has been able to achieve i think this will go down as one of
    the great trilogies. Expand
  46. Jul 27, 2012
    To be 100% honest, this is probably the best Superhero movie (and trilogy) i have ever seen in my entire live. It's full of emotion, darkness and pain, and it makes us think. It's not only entertainment, but the perfect combination of Pop Culture and Humanity. It's a job that deserves applause of every person who claims to be an HQ fan. Thakns Nolan, Bale, Cane, Freeman, Ledger, Hardy, Lewitt, Hathaway, Eckhart, Neeson, Gyllenhaal, Holmes, Murphy, Oldman, and everybody who was involved in the trilogy!!! Expand
  47. Jul 28, 2012
    Absolute Perfection! After waiting almost a year since first Trailer, I couldn't be more satisfied as I am. It was a really good and entertain movie.
  48. Jul 29, 2012
    Magistral , monumental, épico, sin duda la mejor película de superhéroes jamás creada. Perderse ésta película sería un crimen y es más después de verla le van a dar ganas de repetir.
  49. Jul 29, 2012
    I adored Batman Begins and thought Nolan couldn't top it, and thought he pushed superhero movies to the limit with TDK. Nolan has done it again with TDKR. The movie strives, not for being the 3rd and final installment in the series, but for being different. TDKR isn't just another Batman movie and doesn't try to ride on the success of TDK, it changes the tone almost completely. That is why I enjoyed the movie, because it felt fresh. Your introduced to many new characters like Blake and Catwoman, both Gordan and Hathaway played their roles fantastic. Bale is the best Batman I have ever seen and his acting skills shined in TDKR. I do believe Bane came close to the Joker in the TDK. Because he gave off a feeling of true evil as Tom Hardy played a engrossingly disturbing character. I have heard complaints of plot holes and can tell you there aren't any. Go see this movie. Expand
  50. Jul 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After seeing this movie the first time, it was almost surreal. I had been waiting so long for it and when it was finally over it was almost sad knowing that Nolan's really done making his interpretation of Batman. That being said, I will not be one of those people that compare it to The Dark Knight. This was a whole different movie in itself, as The Dark Knight was a completely different movie than Batman Begins. My only gripe after watching this movie was that the almost 3 hour runtime almost didn't seem like enough. There was a LOT of story told in a very brisk pace. This movie certainly warrants two views. After watching it the second time, I was really able to sit back and take in the plot points forming around all the characters. I found this movie emotionally gripping to a large degree. The first fight between Bane and Batman was so intense yet satisfying being that the first comic series I ever read was the Knightfall saga. My favorite scenes had to be Bruce escaping the well finally as well as well as the ending which was infinitely satisfying. The flashback to Gordon putting the coat around a young Bruce Wayne in the film's end was stirring to me. This movie was not Oscar worthy, but it is by far the best movie I have seen this year. Being that Batman has always been my favorite superhero, it is saddening to me that this trilogy is finally over due to the fact that I don't believe any director will ever explore the Bruce/Batman and is surrounding world so vividly and deep. Christopher Nolan has done such a great job emotionally investing the audience with these characters. I heard sniffles all around when Alfred was crying at Bruce Wayne's tombstone. All in all, this was just a fantastic movie. Expand
  51. Jul 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The one thing I will admit is that the film isn't as good as the dark knight, but other than that I really enjoyed it, the twists in the film were really entertaining and kept me wondering what the next step for the plot was, not one point in the film was I off the edge of my seat.
    Also I thought every actor gave a performance to be proud of with perfect timing and emotion.
    Nolan should be proud of this masterpiece, best film of 2012 so far.
  52. Jul 29, 2012
    A brilliant film overall, although quite slow in the beginning and was a little hard to hear Bane's voice throughout the film (this may be because i sat quite close to the screen in the cinema). A must watch for fans of Nolan's films and of Batman in general
  53. Jul 30, 2012
    This movie was absolutely great. It made me feel all good inside. OMG it was so good!!! Many parts were great in the movie giving an epic feel to the overall movie including the moment batman comes out once more and the final fight scene with bane and all the police. I also enjoyed the fact that in the end you are given a little awesome boost with robin!!!
  54. Jul 30, 2012
    Simply the best...better than all the rest!!! this movie right here had me on the edge of my seat the whole entire film..I was literally amazed at hw excellent The Dark Knight Rises is such an involving story of seeing our favorite hero rise..go see this as many times as u deem necessary lets all make this the biggest movie of all time!! i have already seen it twice and the 2nd time really let me know..this is the best movie of any kind i have ever seen and nw iam ready for my third viewing in the IMAX .Christopher Nolan u are a genius Expand
  55. Jul 31, 2012
    A good ending for an excellent trilogy. But bear in mind, that you must of watch 1 and 2 to really enjoy this story and look at it from a real world perspective.
  56. Jul 31, 2012
    Outstanding movie! I was not expecting much, with the Joker gone, but it totally defeated my expectations. The villain was interesting, the back story was fascinating, and had some great new characters. The ending of this movie was AMAZING. I alternately cried, laughed and gaped in awe at the ending of this movie. The only downside (if it can be considered that), is how long the movie is, but it's worth it for the content. Don't get up partway through for the bathroom, you don't want to miss a thing. Expand
  57. Jul 31, 2012
    This movie stands out as a great film, even with some plot holes and the bad guys in the film did have an absurd evil plan, but it does meshes well with the other two former movies to create a perfect trilogy.
  58. Aug 2, 2012
    TDKR is an amazing movie even when compared with the first two. Although it lacks the depth that is expected from a Nolan film it ends the trilogy perfectly and ties up all three movies. TDKR gets even better the more that you watch it and you feel that you get more out of it when you do. By far the best movie I have seen since Dark Knight.
  59. Aug 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nolan opens a door on a new vision to realize in the cinema the Super-hero. A disturbing Trilogy, TDKR is already, according to me, the Cult movie. The most disturbing of the Trilogy, TDKR goes up in crescendo in one unprecedented finale in this genre. Expand
  60. Aug 8, 2012
    It was a pretty damn good movie, it had a very strong plot and story, the acting was very good, although I can imagine the actor who played Bane was having fun walking around not saying anything. I can't help but say though, that 'The Dark Knight' was much better than the 3rd installment, without the Joker, no Batman film will ever be the same.
  61. Aug 7, 2012
    Being a big fan of Christopher Nolan's work and loving the other two Batman films, I was well and truly excited to see this one. Maybe a little too excited as I left the cinema knowing I had just witnessed an amazing film, but had mixed feelings about it probably because I was expecting too much after The Dark Knight. At the same time I felt gutted that this would be it as Nolan wouldn't be making any more.
    After reading numerous reviews on here and in other places, I felt compelled to see it again.
    So, last night I did. So glad I did. Even though I knew how the film ended it was still an exciting experience. My cinema ticket (which was in my hand), had been ripped to pieces towards the climax.
    On second viewing you get a chance to take much more in.
    The acting was superb across the board with Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle the best of the lot.
    I never doubted for a minute she would be a great choice and she didn't let me down.
    Can't wait for the DVD release which will hopefully have extended scenes. When that comes out I will watch the whole trilogy in it's entirety.
    Brilliant ending to a brilliant Batman series beautifully directed by the master of modern film making.
    Classic.
  62. Aug 7, 2012
    This movie is EPIC! Very ambitious for just one movie, but it was a hell of a movie. Intense action, drama, and suspense that puts you at the edge of your seat. Tom Hardy was amazing and frightening. Bale has given his BEST performance by far as Batman, very powerful. Hathaway!..... I really didn't saw this one coming!! She truly nailed it as catwoman!! The cast, the plot, the fxs, music, it was all amazing!! All of this batman films stand alone and they altogether establish one of the best trilogies of all time... and the fact that it deals with a superhero is impressive! Overall the movie is a glorious achievement for Nolan and the icing on the cake for this near perfect trilogy!! I recommend to see twice!! Expand
  63. Aug 8, 2012
    Christopher Nolan's Batman triology is what spawned my love for Batman. From Batman Begins ive been always waiting for the next one and I'm pretty upset that the series is ending here because I believe that Christopher Nolan could have done so much more with characters such as the RIddler and the Penguin. But at the end of the movie I found my self content with the ending. I think the movie as a whole was great as the rest of the series and it ended things where you can wonder what happened after and where if thats it then you can be satisfied knowing things ended well. Expand
  64. Aug 10, 2012
    Its a really good movie and just what I expect from Christopher Nolan.its just like any other movies that Christopher Nolan makes it has a great plot and a good ending, but officer Blake should've been the kid that Bruce Wayne/batman gave one of his 'gadgets' to from batman:begins. Bruce Wayne has hidden his identity from the whole citizens of Gotham and for a mere kid to know he's batman is just impossible. Expand
  65. Aug 14, 2012
    Muy buena película y muy buena trilogía. sinceramente no creo que alguien pueda hacer una mejor película con un mejor final sobre Batman. el villano Bane tal vez no sea mejor que el Joker de The Dark knight pero en términos generales la película cumple con lo esperado. muy buenas actuaciones e historia , totalmente recomendada.
  66. Aug 18, 2012
    A 2 hour and 45 minute movie that will span greatness to the world. The Dark Knight Rises is not only one of the BEST films I have ever seen, it is the BEST superhero film ever made. I have never shivered because of a villain in any movie. Bane made me shiver. Tom Hardy did an excellent job playing such an evil part. The twists were just as great. By far though, the star of the movie was Anne Hathaway for her stunning performance as Selina Kyle/Catwoman. She played the role like she has been that person her whole life. Absolutely stunning. My only complaint was that they didn't include Bane's backstory, but other than that, this film was a site to behold. Christian Bale did his finest work as the playboy billionaire turned hero Bruce Wayne/Batman. David S. Goyer wrote a fantastic story as well. The end of the movie was a total cliffhanger also. Everybody in the theater thought this may actually be the end, but turns out, it may not be the end. Here comes sequels... Christopher Nolan, you have done it again. Expand
  67. Aug 29, 2012
    This movie was awesome from the beginning to the end. I never enjoyed in a movie that good since The Dark Knight. The previous movie was way better. But this one was good too, it was exciting all the time. Anne Hathaway really surprised me with such performance. Also the ending was pretty amazing.
    The only thing I didn't liked about the movie was the ending with Blake - this was
    unnecessary. But anyway, it's a good movie. Expand
  68. Sep 3, 2012
    With Batman Begins, Nolan set the benchmark for the superhero genre by showing us what it
  69. Sep 6, 2012
    Un film lleno de emoción , efectos visuales increíbles, una actuacion muy buena de parte de anne hat thaway.Sin embargo los errores notorios hacen que mi calificacion no sea perfecta. No obstante este film no deja de ser una obra maestra.
  70. Sep 14, 2012
    It concludes this trilogy in such a great way that makes the three movies function as one piece of storytelling. Most importantly, it's an amazingly written and acted story that lives up to the hype generated by the previous ones and faithful and honest towards the comics that originally brought The Dark Knight to a legend status.
  71. Dec 7, 2012
    This film has seemed a lot better than the previous film.
  72. Oct 2, 2012
    This film is great, it doesn't quite live up to the incredible lofty heights of The Dark Knight (2008) but it's still a great watch, the set pieces are fantastic, the scale of the film is ginormous, technical codes are brilliant and to top it all off it's a rollercoaster ride from start to finish.
  73. Oct 13, 2012
    I know all \'Superhero\' movies are far-fetched, but come on, how could anyone believe the escaped convict from The Shawshank Redemption could become a high profile tech-wizard within just a few years.
    He couldn\'t even fix that little wooden boat in Mexico, what? Now he\'s building Bat Mobiles?
  74. Nov 11, 2012
    I found this a very enjoyable movie and fitting ending to the trilogy. Despite the slow start it soon starts picking up pace and keeps your attention til the very end.
  75. Oct 17, 2012
    Sorry Avengers. But you just didn't have 70 minutes of IMAX-filmed fight scenes or set pieces, or an extremely intense script and epic story that made The Dark Knight Rises the equal best movie of 2012 so far, as well as Looper.

P.S. Bane is a badass bad guy.
  76. Aug 12, 2013
    Christopher Nolan platformed his Batman story in a realistic universe with Batman Begins, continued it with a masterful hit in The Dark Knight, & couldn’t bare but finish his story with a third movie where he is inspired to raise the bar and the stakes in The Dark Knight Rises. This time, he and his brother construct one nerve shaking visual of raw intensity. Every theme and idea Nolan loves to experiment with, he fuses into this piece. Bale, Caine, Oldman, and Freeman all return for the ride. Including newcomers Gordon-Levitt, Cottilard, and of course Hardy. It’s a phenomenal story and it epitomizes what an ending to a trilogy or movie franchise should be. I’m not going to expose his formula, but it’s undeniably breathtaking and so impacting on every level...

With genuine archetypes, engaging story arks, sensibly distinguished and monumental characters, majestically inspiring elements, richly sobering themes, and heavily powerful climaxes. This has all the ingredients. Including a realistic vision that forces the direction of the story to naturally go in a dark place. Because what happens in movies seem like nothing at all, when in fact it’s quite more horrifying then we believe. And Nolan proves that by fashionably executing classic-inspired filmmaking and ingeniously capturing realistic intensities of situations through organically put-together set pieces, utilized for the screen. Ultimately delivering a true visually real, orgasmic movie with breathtaking moments of cinema that’ll have you shaken by a whirlwind of emotions. Defying the idea that movies are fake and not real. Therefore, making the screen come to life, hitting the audience an extraordinary tone. Making audiences feel the reality of the true conflicts that happen on screen, and the conflicts Nolan materializes for the screen in the story of The Dark Knight Rises is heavily captivating, spectacularly dynamizing, and more ambitious than ever. All of that in IMAX scale is a crazy roller coaster ride. Butterflies galore.

Bane as the villain in this is the ultimate villain. He imposes the most paramount threat. Watching him was spine-tingling and the portrayal was initially terrifying. He's not as memorable as can be, but he's still a badass villain of and for cinema. His dubbing did lose some realness in his character making him appear more video-gameish than a real afflicted & constrained villain. Every appearance, although, has you shaking & gulping with fear and intimidation. However, his fear isn’t nearly as sustaining as the Joker’s was in The Dark Knight.

I know Nolan wants to make the movie to look and feel real. But the movie’s visual is already so heavy, the anxious cropping and trimming of scenes, and the addition of speaker-imploding sounds just adds so much weight to the experience, it’s almost too much to handle. Rises believes it’s achieving wonders and it is, but to some the rhythm and flow may be uneasy. Just because that's way it should be doesn't mean it becomes the masterpiece it intends to be. Also, the movie felt too short and needed an extra 30 or 40 to help the audience a little because a lot happens in the story and for some viewers they may find their emotions left behind, not able to reconnect as they lose themselves from the pace. I did want more from some things, but I think that’s what makes Rises so good. That it allows the audience to enagage their own imaginations into the world as you feel shortchanged by some things not shown. Personally, I love ambition and whenever I see it, myself and my emotions are right their for the ride. In the end, the film took me so far (feeling nearly a 4-5 hour experience) I’ll never forget it. The best theatre movie I’ve ever seen. Half of the movie was filmed in IMAX. I mean it’s made for that big screen. However the heaviness can rumble some out of the experience and may confuse and befuddle some with the manner in which it tells the story.

Needless to say, this stands as a towering powerhouse in the motion picture universe. A picture that offers non-stop waves of sensation leaving you speechless, scene after scene, with so many magnificent moments and adding that with a raw visual for entertainment including overpowering ideas for heart-stopping spectacle Yeah, it’ll leave most with huge smiles. It certainly did me. I won’t give away any of the story, but prepare to go through a whirlwind of emotions as a viewer. The Dark Knight Rises will toss you around, shock you, and leave you with Nolan’s best minutes of delivered moviemaking, with an ultimate enticing signature of satisfaction. It’s visual and story is ever-enduring, and the mark it's made on cinema is obvious and massive. The level of craftmanship is beyond words. Sadly, the Academy is more on the degree than the level. Even if there’s small things that do take away the full thrust of the movie’s visual through emphasis and emotion, Rises truly formulates the most complete conclusion to the most impacting trilogy.
  77. cfh
    Oct 16, 2012
    I think it was a superb movie. I was at the edge of my seat while watching it. So much action. It was a little slow at the beginning but at the end it was excellant. I would deffinately buy this movie.
  78. Jan 11, 2013
    I'm a huge Batman fan, I've watched every movie so far and I have to admit this is not only one of the best Batman movies (I say one of the best because Batman Forever is my favorite, agree or disagree I don't care it's my favorite) but it's also one of the best superhero movies of all time. It's action packed, has a great story, outstanding acting, and some awesome comic tie-ins. An outstanding movie that I highly recommend watching. Expand
  79. Jul 2, 2013
    As one of the most eagerly anticipated movies of recent times The Dark Knight Rises arrived carrying huge expectations following the hugely successful and a genuine modern great, The Dark Knight. So, the big question.. Does it deliver and live up to the hype? Absolutely! The Dark Knight Rises is quite simply sensational. There will be many debating whether it's better than The Dark Knight, personally i'd say it's on par perhaps slightly edging ahead but nonetheless it's no crime as The Dark Knight was a classic. The film itself picks up 8 years on, where Batman has gone into exile and Gotham is prospering under the newly found peace. However, the emergence of a thief, Selina Kyle (Anne Hathaway) catches Bruce Wayne's attention but it's only with the arrival of the terrorist, a mercenary Bane (Tom Hardy) that Bruce's alter ego is forced back into action. The opening sequence to this movie is magnificent!! It introduces the villain, Bane, in fantastic fashion. The scene is superb and immediately establishes the character. Tom Hardy faced an almost impossible taking on the villainous Bane after Heath Ledger's inconic performance as The Joker but he delivers an absolutely amazing performance! He's genuinely outstanding. Bane is big, bold and brutal but clearly a mastermind and given the fact he wears the 'mask' Hardy is truly tremendous. The performance is sold through his eyes, he makes Bane such an intriguing mesmerising antagonist. His voice caused controversy but he makes it such a pivotal part of the character. It's genius in all honesty! I never thought it would be possible to surpass The Joker but Bane is easily my favourite film of the trilogy. Anne Hathaway also excels as Catwoman. She encapsulates the character of Selina Kyle perfectly whether it's the fake fragile and innocent side or the sexy bad ass, Hathaway oozes class. Tops the original Catwoman for me. She is superb! Jospeh Gordon-Levitt also comes on board and rookie cop John Blake but ends up playing a massive part of the film. Marion Cotillard also has a small but vital role is environmentalist Miranda Tate. And last but not least, Christian Bale. The best Batman ever no doubt and cements his legacy as the Caped Crusader with his best outing yet. TDKR is by far the most emotional of all 3 of Nolan's films. In many ways it's inspiring just like Batman intended to be and there's one iconic and legendary scene in the film that all true Batman fans will appreciate. The breaking of the Bat! It actually left the cinema in silence and many mouths a gasp. It was expertly delivered. The action however is where this film is an unbelievable triumph. It's a blockbuster in every sense of the word. The scale and set-pieces are taken to new heights. It's glorious and leads to a stunning and spectacular finish with all out war in Gotham! Nolan has always been a master at storytelling and he truly cements this in the closing chapter, it's full of suspense and anxiety and that's where this movie thrives! He is a genius at work, when was the last time you actually believed a superhero could die? In it's own right it's an absolute colossal movie. Absolutely awesome throughout even with the 2hr 45mins running time, time never stops it's an entrhalling, exhilariting, emotionally driven action blockbuster that's utterly unmissable. EPIC! Serving as a conclusion to Nolan's trilogy this is film making of the highest calibre. He succeeds in every depertment and brings The Dark Knight full circle. It touches on everything that's gone before all the way back to Batman Begins and leaves you in awe of what he has managed to achieve and accomplish with these 3 films. He has turned Batman into a household franchise once again. Christopher Nolan has taken the Dark Knight to exceptional new heights! He has given us the greatest superhero trilogy ever to be assembled. Whoever assumes the reigns will have a monumental task! Expand
  80. Dec 17, 2012
    Not so impressive like its predecessor, but this one is worth to buy: Every stage of the film is good, a good, tragic ending for batman and the rise of the Robin, and the hero is not only batman, but the hero will rise when it comes to its age. That's what the dark knight wants, what our hero will continue ...
  81. Oct 8, 2012
    The acting, writing, drama, and action are of a caliber with Nolan's other great works (The Dark Knight notwithstanding). The only genuine problem with this film is that it had to succeed a true masterpiece in The Dark Knight. Hardy is excellent as a villain (though not quite as chilling and nihilistic as Ledger's Joker) and Hathaway and Gordon-Levitt are both strong additions. Perhaps the weight of expectation led to some shortcomings but the final 30-40 minutes of the film are edge-of-your-seat compelling. The conclusion is so startlingly appropriate (read: vintage Nolan) fans should wonder why they thought the trilogy would end any other way. This film, and indeed the two which preceded it, is an absolute must-see. If not for the sake of great cinema, at least for the benefit of knowing how it all ends. Expand
  82. Nov 30, 2012
    Boo Ya what an epic movie and what phenomenal way to end the dark knight trilogy.The story kept me on the edge of my seat for the whole 164 minutes.The action sequences was done perfectly.The story line was epic,the acting for every actor and actresses was done extremely well.Christopher Nolan does a phenomenel job directing this film. Every Batman movie directed was phenomenal and no wonder the films was a worldwide phenomenel.Unlike other films which had trilogy's and failed for example spider man 1,2 and 3 which truly sucked.But the dark knight trilogy's was the best epic and awesome.This time I did not read the other reviews posted by other users.Until I finished watching the film.And I'm glad to say I truly enjoyed this film.The dark knight rises is one of the best films I have ever seen. Expand
  83. Jan 20, 2013
    What a great movie. I loved it so much. Brilliant performances from every member of the cast and a fantastic storyline. It always helps a movie when the bad guy is good and Tom Hardy's Dane was fantastic. Anne Hathaway, Gary Oldman and Joseph Gordon-Levitt were all excellent in th film. One of my favourite films of all time.
  84. Aug 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie doesn't quite have the vigor of The Dark Night, but the action is unprecedented, as expected from the previous installments. The characters are mostly rounded, with the exception of Bane, who seemed relevant until it was revealed that he was just a lowly prisoner that helped the real escapee out. But man! That movie was so fun to watch! Expand
  85. Oct 24, 2012
    Nolan done it again. TDKR is a triumph, held down by some minor niggles. Surprisingly, despite my initial negative view of Anne Hathaway as catwoman, I felt that Hathaway has done a terrific job being catwoman and really, this is her sexiest role yet. However, her screentime was a tad lacking and to be honest, her contribution to the actual plot is minor if not unecessary if taking a harsh stance. The brilliant plot, great combination of soundtrack and visual enticements as well as brilliant acting retains the excellent Nolan formula that everyone would enjoy. The fight scenes are genuine not cliche' or death-defyingly unrealistic. The twists in the film will get you, no matter how hard you think each time. And throw in a controversial, highly debatable, ambiguous-as-hell ending for good effect (as always). The chemistry just works and really does prove Nolan's prowess as a director and writer. Dont get me wrong, the movie's not perfect. There are so many plot elements there that can be debated for and many characters actually go against the batman canon (watch for the twist near the end. For avid batman fanboys out there and those who's played Batman: Arkham City, you'll be cutting yourself). Is this better than the Dark Knight? No, not really. Is it worse? No, definitely not. Sure Heath Ledger's joker was a sensation, take that away and apart from some thrills, the 2nd movie is definitely sub-par to TDKR by a cat's whisker. Ultimately, it does have some neglible flaws that you probably wont care if you're just watching the movie for fun. If you're a deep thinker and adopted an 'Inception'-esque mindset to the film, you will find many discrepancies in the plot flow. My money for Nolan's best film is still Inception but TDKR is without question THE best action/superhero film of the year. Sorry, Avengers. While I enjoy Avengers (a LOT to be honest), TDKR just tops the comedy-action formula the Avengers had and introduced the standard Nolan-excellence that we have all witnessed before. An intelligent film with class, brilliant execution and acting definitely tops an all-out action film reliant on CG-sequences/witty dialogue/a truckload of top-end, expensive Hollywood stars. Expand
  86. Feb 23, 2013
    While probably not quite on a par with The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, bigger and darker than the previous instalments, is certainly worthy of being the closing chapter to Christopher Nolan excellent Dark Knight trilogy.

From the awesome opening plane hijack stunt that introduces Bane, the film is littered with action sequences and really is one huge spectacle. On top of the
    action, the film is balanced by the soul-searching and recovery of Bruce Wayne, not once but twice as well as reasonably well handled themes of social equality.

Tom Hardy brings an intensity to Bane, a different, more physically imposing intensity than Heath Ledger's Joker, and the character is certainly an improvement on the previous portrayal of Bane (Batman Robin!). He is given the best lines of the script to deliver through his menacing mask-affected voice. Anne Hathway plays Selina Kyle (never referred to as Catwoman), and here is where I have an issue with the Nolan brothers. I was intrigued how they would adapt Catwoman into their Dark Knight universe, and for me it was a let down. She is not the true villain of the comics, instead she is pitched as an ambiguous distraction from the battle with Bane, chasing anonymity from her thieving background and willing to side with whoever can grant it to her.

At 165 minutes, TDKR is stretching the limits of an action film run time but managed to keep my attention. Some of the film's plot holes have earned some attention from critics, the only one I had a problem with was how Wayne got back to Gotham with no money, connections and with the city under lock-down. I imagine Christopher Nolan must have spent many night wondering how to conclude his trilogy. Leave it open ended? Retire Batman? Kill Batman? Anyway, his decision worked for me (despite the ending having remarkable parallels to 2011's Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows).
  87. Jul 25, 2012
    The best superhero movie ever. The hands down best movie of the year... 10/10. Bane is an awesome villain, the ending is the best I've ever seen, and this is hands down the best superhero movie ever.
  88. Mar 8, 2014
    Visually impressive, emotionally powerful, and well-plotted. This final installment has a slow start with too many new characters, but once it gets going, it's great. Ultimately, it's not as good as "The Dark Knight", but it's an excellent conclusion to an epic trilogy.
  89. Dec 21, 2012
    Nolan has, once again, managed to create that thing that made Batman Begins and The Dark Knight so special. I for instance can't name what that is, but I can say this, the movie feels as if every move of action was thought of, every part of speech read through at least a hundred times. The Dark Knight Rises is just one of those movies that leaves you thinking "Wow, I can't even... Wow!". I was speechless when the movie ended. The plot twisted and turned all the time, you could never expect anything or if you would, I bet the plot would turn the other way. Bane as the villain is just what a villain is supposed to be. The movie is extremely dark, and it lets you know that in a lot of its parts. I as a fan of The Dark Knight trilogy can say that this is my favorite movie in the saga, and it ends just as epic as it should. Epic end to an epic trilogy. I would also like to touch on the violence in this movie. It is in my opinion the most violent installment in this trilogy, there is a lot of crime shown and a lot of brutal fighting, but I think any kid 12 years and over should be fine with it. (Batman Begins: Introduction The Dark Knight: Most dramatic, most depressing, The Dark Knight Rises: Most brutal). Throughout the movie you can feel how this is the ending, it all ends here. Expand
  90. Aug 6, 2012
    What I Like To Call
    Movie Of The Year
  91. Jan 23, 2013
    Not as good as the Dark Knight, this epic by Nolan is still a masterpiece. Everything is glorious - the filming, the action, the acting, but this time plotholes are present, and if you think about them, they're somewhat big. But those don't spoil the impression of the movie, especially if it's viewed in IMAX. Besides, most of the plotholes can be answered by simple "Because he's Batman!". One of the strongest parts of the Batman stories is the villains. And Tom Hardy doesn't disappoint, his performance as Bane is amazing, considering he can't use his facial expressions due to the mask. I'm quite a fan of Nolan and his Dark Knight trilogy, so I might be exaggerating, but even though TDKR is worse than its predecessor, it is the best movie of summer 2012 and one of the best movies ever. Expand
  92. Jul 20, 2012
    Insane film! But - nowhere near as good as Dark Knight. Sorry, and nostalgia out of the way, it's the truth. Also one thing I found this film was lacking was a sense of Gotham. The scale was so huge it just felt like Batman in New York/USA. And the very scene which was equally one of the best scenes of the whole film was the American Football scene. Why the boy sang the american national anthem in the fictional city is beyond me really. I know Gotham is meant to be an american city and all but it really took me out of the feeling that this is Gotham, the dark and dank, home of Batman. It made me feel - they've just filmed this in american cities posing as Gotham. THIS IS NOT GOTHAM. But apart from that - good film. Expand
  93. Jul 21, 2012
    Best batman movie by far. And for all of the victims I'm so sorry for the families. Ghhhgffffjggggjhfffhhggfgjgggggghhhhghhhhhhhhhhggg gucfzgdrggfddtuhf
  94. Mar 6, 2013
    The Dark Knight Rises is such an amazing movie! The epic finale of the Dark Knight trilogy has finally started out. I love the trilogy. It has a perfect emotion! Batman is my favorite hero
  95. Aug 6, 2012
    Christopher Nolan's Batman series has finally come to an end. After two spectacular depictions of DC Comics' caped crusader, Nolan has returned to complete his Batman trilogy with The Dark Knight Rises. The suspense for this release has been built up ever since the critically acclaimed The Dark Knight hit box offices in 2008 and the final product has lived up to that four year relentless hype. It is very clear how much of an impact these films have had on us over the past half of a decade and I see that impact multiplying as The Dark Knight Rises finally hits the big screen. This movie contains anything anyone could ever want from a piece of the Nolan/Batman saga; heightened emotions, poignant character speeches, and a commendable story line as well as many, many action sequences and explosions.

The film opens much like The Dark Knight, revealing the villain right away from the get-go to foreshadow further chaos. This time around, Bane (Tom Hardy), a menacing mastermind born into a life of captivity, has one plan and one plan only and that is to bring anarchy to Gotham City in honor of the League of Shadows and Ra's al Ghul's death. For those unaware it should be known that this Bane is not your bulky, drug-induced, raging maniac henchman seen in the 1997 film Batman & Robin but instead, we see a far more distinguished, well-informed antagonist that not only has a master plan for his taking over of Gotham but also withholds enough combat training to rival Batman, which is how the comic books intended it to be. Hardy's Bane is portrayed perfectly as Bane soullessly attempts to destroy the status quo of Gotham City in an attempt to give power back to the people. Bane's efforts are very similar to that of Heath Ledger's Joker from the previous film but instead of attacking the minds of Gotham's finest, Bane goes straight for the heart.

Meanwhile Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) is nowhere to be found. Forced into retirement by his unlawful murder conviction of Gotham district attorney Harvey Dent, Wayne is forced to watch from the sidelines as his company diminishes as well as the city he had formerly sworn to protect. That is, of course, until the ruthless and relentlessness Bane strikes Gotham, forcing Wayne and Batman out from hiding to help defeat the city's new attacker. It sounds cliche, but everything in this movie has a purpose.

Intertwining love interests pop up for Wayne in the form of the seductive jewel thief Selina Kyle (AKA Catwoman) played by Anne Hathaway as well as Wayne Enterprise business associate Miranda Tate played by Marion Cotillard. Though the relationship between Wayne and Tate comes off as a little rushed, Wayne's interactions with Kyle are nothing short of magnificent as Hathaway silences the doubters that were oh so prevalent when it was announced that she would be fulfilling this role.

The first half of Rises is mostly set up for later events up until the the pivotal scene in which Batman faces Bane for the first time one-on-one. This scene's importance focuses on fear, helplessness and watching a hero that America has come to love and adore for so many years become as useless and vulnerable as the mindless heaps of thugs the caped crusader has disposed of over his days. Every moment after this scene sees the drama escalating to new levels as we witness the emergence of John Blake (Joseph Gordan-Levitt) from faceless cop to hard-nosed detective as well as Wayne's metaphorical and physical rise to prominence once again.

Of course, with any superhero movie one will always have issues. The dialogue, especially from the Dark Knight himself, sometimes comes off as commonplace for any ego-boosted superhero and some of the political and business aspects of the movie may come off as scattered or a little hard to follow. These small mishaps however are irrelevant if you're willing to pay enough attention to detail and look over those glitches in dialogue. The side plots and monologues (specifically from Michael Caine's excellent adaptation of Alfred as well as Selina Kyle) emerge as brilliant, informative and ultimately quite vital to the film. Everything in this movie is significant toward the final outcome and that's something that we cannot really mention about The Dark Knight.

In the end, this movie is stunning. Everything from the acting to the writing to the special effects is top notch and all mesh together perfectly to bring to you the perfect conclusion to Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. Though the ending may be surprising to some, I feel Nolan set out to do what he had to do and pulled it off marvelously.

96. Mar 2, 2013
    I never thought that superheroes movies were believable until i saw the batman trilogy Christopher Nolan proves to be one of the greatest directors ever, Anne Hathaway is a beautiful addition and the ending was promising and decent for a trilogy very well done
  97. Dec 31, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is the best film of 2012, and is one of the best movies of all time. I respect the people that hate on this movie, but i do believe that they are wrong. The entire cast from Bale to Hardy to Freeman to Cain all deserve Oscar consideration. Nolan should be nominated for best director if not win. Han Zimmer's score is one of the best of the past 20 years but he has out done himself with the theme for Bane, i will say no more on this wonderful piece of music but please go check it out. The Dark Knight Rises is a masterful, wonderful, glorious piece of film-making.A+ Expand
  98. Oct 15, 2012
    Heath Ledger won best supporting actor for his role as The Joker. In my honest opinion, Heath Ledger completely stole the show, he was absolutely magnificent. For sure one of the greatest performances of all time, just such an incredibly talented actor. The Dark Knight Rises is the film event of the summer. A completely satisfying piece of filmmaking that delivers so much more, making for an excellent sign off for one of cinema's finest trilogies. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.