8.4

1. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises was gloriously the best moment of my life in a movie theatre. It stands alone, peerless in the pantheon of superhero movies. There will be no spoilers here and if the impulse to spoil yourself before watching the film is too excruciating to bear, remember this, it'll be the equivalent of Selina Kyle robbing you blind. When Batman Begins came out, I was very sceptical about watching another one of those Batman flicks, such is the enduring traumatic impression Joel Schumacher's films left me. Thank goodness I did and from that point on there's no turning back. Christopher Nolan's finale made all the recently released superhero movies look like child's play to be honest, it is the appetizer to the main course that is the final chapter of The Dark Knight trilogy. The typical critique of Chris Nolan's movies is that it might be too cerebral for the casual moviegoer, no it's not. His films are universal, it's so well-layered, directed towards everyone. If you're more of the "intellectual genre" you'll notice the political undertones and social commentaries and what have you, but even if it goes over your head, it doesn't detract your experience from the film. Fanatic fans of the Batman comics will love all the little nods and references, even the major ones from the comic books thoughtfully implemented throughout the film.
    Christian Bale is just magnificent, as he puts it he plays three characters, the billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne, the true persona of Bruce Wayne still grieving the lost of his parents and the Batman. He's the defining actor of The Dark Knight, his portrayal of all these characters are just perfect and even though he's a man dressing up at night as a bat beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands, we empathise with him. Returning inhabitants of Gotham and Bruce's fundamental foundation of his lifestyle is Gary Oldman's aged and weary morally-strayed Commissioner Jim Gordon, the Q to Batman's James Bond, Lucius Fox and possibly a Best Supporting Actor nominee perhaps, the closest thing to a father figure Bruce can get, his moral compass, oozing with words of wisdom, Michael Caine's Alfred Pennyworth. Scenes between the trio are so poignant, beautifully crafted and presented, it's so hard to watch without getting a lump in your throat, to describe it as tear-jerking ia an understatement. One of the newcomers is Joseph Gordon-Levitt's solid portrayal of beat cop John Blake and Marion Cotillard's enviromentalist Miranda Tate. The chief antagonist is Tom Hardy's full time terrorist Bane, He's frightening to watch, Tom embodies and embraces the sheer brutality and monstrosity of "the mercenary" flawlessly with half his face covered up, the way he conveys his emotions with only his eyes is amazing. Anne Hathaway's morally ambiguous Selina Kyle is a wild card, it's really fun to watch the development and chemistry between Bruce/Selina and Batman/the cat burglar. The 2 hours and 44 minutes running time didn't feel long at all, the story flows seamlessly as it comes full circle with flashbacks from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, it's all beautifully balanced between the intimate moments of character development that's unusual in a summer blockbuster film and the really elaborate and simply put awesome all-out war action sequences and the choreography of the brawls between Batman and Bane is much improved than the previous films. The most important element of The Dark Knight Rises however and what makes it a gem is that it manages to amp up the suspense and anxiety to incredible heights knowing that every single character is dispensable including the Batman. When was the last time you watched a superhero film and feel a genuine concern that our hero is not going to come out alive? Exactly.
    Thank you Christopher Nolan for not giving in to the public and I'm assuming studio demands to continue this magnificent 7-year journey we have all been through together, to truly end this great vision of the legend with integrity, to give this great story a great and true conclusion to let the Batman ride off into the sunset if you will. It was the ending this iconic character deserved. And to anyone who thinks the Rises in The Dark Knight Rises is just a convenient way to name the film, it makes complete sense, it
  2. Jul 20, 2012
    It is an amazing film.Although Tom Hardy as Bale isn't able to match the performance of Heath Ledger as the Joker, but he gives a very solid performance.The acting of Bale too is great along with a brilliant plot.I think it really is the epic conclusion to the Batman Trilogy.Thanks Nolan for this film:)
  3. Jul 20, 2012
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is the best Batman movie ever. The action, scale, and emotion involved is breathtaking. Bane rivals the Joker as one of the best villains I have ever seen. This movie will have you on the edge of your seat and keep you holding your breath the entire time.
  4. Jul 20, 2012
    The movie is about equal to the dark knight, which is a superb thing. the start is kind of slow and there are a few minor unexplained things, but just an overall brilliant film. the ending is the best i have ever seen in a film!
  5. Jul 20, 2012
    The production values are brilliant. Camera, costumes, sets, production design and the rest are superior and, with the roller coaster ride Nolan gives us, make the 164-minute film fly by. My Favorite batman Flim yes Better than TDK :)
  6. Jul 20, 2012
    The movie content is fantastic. Must see,btw. It's one of a kind. Christian Bale did it again , hope it tops the charts yet again .Guys please try and give it a 10/10 rating , I just want this movie to break all records and set its position on cloud nine.
  7. Jul 20, 2012
    awsome movie. i was shocked at bane character ! nice plot. critical thinking. i love bruce wayne spirit. i can feel the pain.uhhh....anyway..4 years i wait for this sequel.....wow....i was so happy last nite..most of the audience clap hands at the end...thank you NOLAN..
  8. Jul 20, 2012
    Chris Nolan did it again. The dark knight rises topped the the dark knight. Rises had the best cast and best plot making for a entertaining edge of your seat summer block busting box office hit. I would recommend seeing it and i will see it again.
  9. Jul 20, 2012
    Now I see it, it sounds like batman's struggle against the Avengers. but there is no point of comparison, because batman does not compare to the movie of the advengers child.
  10. Jul 20, 2012
    Incredible and satisfying end to the Dark Knight trilogy. This is as good or better than the previous movie, and it is probably the best way they could have ended the series. The acting is great, the action scenes are amazing, the music is epic, and the story is very well executed. Highly recommended. The best superhero movie since the Dark Knight, and perhaps the best of all time.
  11. Jul 20, 2012
    Just when i didn't think it was possible, i was proven wrong. "The Dark Knight Rises" tops "The Dark Knight". Wow, talk about an amazing film. Amazing performances all around. Definitely the best goes to Tom Hardy and his exceptional work as Bane, while being excellent, he still wasn't as good as Heath Ledgers job as "The Joker" though, but Bane was still bada$$. Christopher Nolan is a genius and a mastermind. He has just created the best trilogy ever! I'm sad to see it end but at the same time i have to give a hand for Mr. Nolan and the amazing work he has done and its a good thing he doesn't overdo it and he knows that, one of the reasons why he "ends" it with "The Dark Knight Rises". Whether you're a Batman fan or not, you simply must enjoy this film because it is a pure stroke of genius. Everybody needs to witness this awesome, pulse-pounding, heartracing, and exciting film. Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon Levitt (who was amazing especially) Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, and Michael Caine all had outstanding performances in this movie. This movie in every sense of a way deserves a 10/10. The Dark Knight Rises will leave you with your mind completely blown, and the people who have already seen it know exactly why i say this. Now stop reading this review and go witness Christopher Nolans latest and last Masterpiece of our favorite vigilante "The Batman". Expand
  12. Jul 20, 2012
    This movie was an absolute perfect conclusion to the batman trilogy. It had action emotions effects and an incredible story. The acting and directing were captivating and harmonious and The fight scenes were thrilling. I could not have asked for a better conclusion.
  13. Jul 20, 2012
    Okay, Marvel fanboy here, and I'm saying that the Avengers was just surpassed here. Let's be real, The Avengers was a cheesy explosion of special effects. A very good one, but it doesn't match the gripping emotions, the stellar acting, and grand directing of this film. The Avengers is great pop culture entertainment, Rises is simply great CINEMA.
  14. Jul 21, 2012
    I don't usually review films but felt compelled to with this. I won't say much as it's all pretty much been said but it was the perfect to ending to a perfect trilogy & for me has sealed Nolan's place as one of Hollywood's greats.
  15. Jul 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nolan was able to bring his Dark knight trilogy full circle with the dark night raises. You can not compare it to either of the other two films. Unlike the Joker from the dark knight.. Who was more crazy and just rolled with the punches. Bane is pure evil wanting to destroy everything or everyone in his path and he has a plan! Tom Hardy does a great job playing the villain with just his eyes and body language over all! Bale filled out the role of batman perfectly again. The effects were the best out of the 3 films. Just when you think, How can Nolan make this bigger or better. He does, dont doubt the man he is a genius at movie magic . He stays with his own story, yet still sticks well to batman lore. With sprinklings of a little modern day troubles within our own world. The one that was the best and only thing I will give you from the movie is Bane and his men Go into the Gotham stock exchange. One guy says "what do you think your going to steal this is the stock echange there is no Money here?!" Bane replies "If there is no money here then what are you doing here!" With Nolans Batman Trilogy to a satisfying close. The next person that tries to revive the batman series. I wish them the best of luck they will need it. Nolan has placed a big foot print in that department that I dont believe anyone can fill! Expand
  16. Jul 20, 2012
    An epic, visceral, emotional ride. A truly grand feat of filmmaking. Is it better than The Dark Knight? No. But then again, under the circumstances, there was no way it ever could be. What it IS however, is a fitting conclusion to Nolan's Batman saga, the best film he could have possibly made without Heath Ledger. Nolan has beaten the "superhero threequel curse" and delivered the second best Batman film ever made, and arguably, the second best comic-book movie too. A must see (but come on, you were going to see it anyway). Expand
  17. Jul 20, 2012
    SPOILER FREE REVIEW: There is no word grand enough to describe the closing film in the Dark Knight saga. Epic doesn't even come close. It is an experience that is truly transcendent for any big summer blockbuster, let alone a comic book adaptation. The movie is set 8 years after the previous film and in the new Gotham crime seems to no longer be the problem, however a new one has begun to grow from the depths of Gotham's sewers, as an increasingly corrupt and greedy 1% take and take and leave nothing for the rest. It is set in a world that so closely resembles our own world in so many ways and Nolan touches on this subject in a way that no other big time director would dare to fathom, nor accomplish with such precision. Some will say that this film is a scathing rejection of socialism, when in fact it shows us the danger of ignoring social and economic injustice, which is at it's extreme a Russian style revolution. But politics and economics aside, the film is still wholly carried by it's intensity and its action, and the action is simply breathtaking. Nolan seems to be the only big budget director left who uses CGI only when absolutely necessary and the effect is very real and impressive, especially during the jaw dropping last 45 minutes of the film. The cast of The Dark Knight Rises is, I think, the best ever assembled for a Batman movie and the surprise best performance comes from Anne Hathaway who is fierce as Catwoman, but also surprisingly human and genuine. She embodies the message of the movie, showing us that all people can change and everyone should have a second chance. Tom Hardy's Bane is perhaps the most fearsome villain I've ever seen on the screen, even if he lacks the electricity that made Heath Ledger's performance in the Dark Knight so monumental. And then there is Marion Cotillard who, even though she wasn't given enough screen time, still managed to steal many of the scenes she was in. Joseph Gordon-Levitt gave a good performance as well, though I don't think he was given enough of a chance to show off his skills. The returning cast was all great as well, particularly Michael Cain. It is inevitable that this film will be compared in every way to it's towering predecessor, and in many ways The Dark Knight Rises is better. For example, the Screenplay seemed much tighter for this film and was almost 100% devoid of cliches that somewhat dogged the first one, and the amazing score by Hans Zimmer seemed to be more thrilling in this film. However, as a whole I think audiences will respond less to this one because of it's much more pensive nature. It doesn't all fly at you with lightning speed like The Dark Knight does. To fully appreciate this movie you have to be fully engaged and you have to come at it with an open mind and a willingness to want more than just a lot of action and violence. My only big complaint about this movie is that even though it was 2 hrs and 45 min long, it still felt to short. Expand
  18. Jul 20, 2012
    Definitely, this movie has a 9.6, Nolan did what no one else was able to did before, to make the perfect trilogy, everyone has failed with the third movie, even Francis Ford Coppola failed with The Godfather III, but Nolan gave us a surprise,The Dark Knight Rises was the epic final, for the epic trilogy, as I said before, he did what no one else was able to do before, make the third movie better than the second, Batman Begins was really good, Batman The Dark Knight was better, but The Dark Knight Rises is even better, in so many ways, it is impossible to dislike this movie, if someone says that he or she doesn't like this movie, is lying, and is a hater, because it is impossible, this movie is epic, the end was just amazing, I almost had a heart attack, this final movie had everything, it touched my emotions to the very end, I just have to say that Nolan did an amazing work, and sorry to say this Francis Ford Coppola, but my new favorite trilogy is now directed by Nolan. Expand
  19. Jul 20, 2012
    Honestly, I can say this movie kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time which is surprising considering I nearly fell asleep at the last movie I saw which was this length, which was the most recent remake of king kong...
  20. Jul 20, 2012
    The critics picked this film apart, but it was a thoroughly satisfying end to the best trilogy of the past decade. 2.5 hours well spent by me thanks to 4 years well spent by Christopher Nolan and company.
  21. Jul 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Dark Knight Rises concludes Christopher Nolan's dark and triumphant Batman trilogy. For seven years, Nolan's reboot has reached acclaim and this final Batman flick has easily been one of the most anticipated movies of all time.

After eight years of no Batman, a terrorizing masked pro-wrestler has come to burn Gotham to ashes with a master plan to overthrow the higher classes. After his stock market stunt he leaves Wayne Enterprises wiped out financially. Bruce Wayne reaches out to Miranda Tate (Marion Cotillard), a millionaire who can help Wayne. Selina Kyle (Anne Hathaway), a cat burglar also known as Catwoman, comes across Wayne after steeling his mother's pearls but is also after a "clean slate", that Wayne can give her. John Blake (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is a young cop who is nothing short of heroic. Nolan provides us with many new characters and manages to present them as fresh instead of overwhelming.

The Dark Knight set the bar very high for this movie and with the absence of the Joker, who Heath Ledger made one of his most memorable performances of, finding another villain who could top that brilliance was seen as almost impossible. Bane (Tom Hardy), a B-list villain was something of a genius idea. A villain who is as powerful as Batman and makes Batman's job nearly impossible. Although we didn't get the humor that we were left with by the Joker and still, Bane doesn't quite live up to the Joker's glory, Hardy did leave us with a great villain and Nolan succeeds at making this B-lister feel like an A-list villain. The mask does take away a bit of personality but Hardy does give an impressive performance only using his expressions with his eyes and body language. you will leave the theater withe the epic and evil voice that Bane provides us with, done so well, stuck in your head. The presence of the other new characters like Catwoman and Miranda Tate also help make up for the missing Joker.

Nolan's final Batman film doesn't fall short of it's predecessors. The legend ends with one of the greatest superhero movies of all time. We are left with a truly triumphant finale.
  22. Jul 20, 2012
    Surpasses the Dark Knight, a movie that stood solely on the shoulders of Ledger and was great despite it. The few who do complain I will tell you are too thick to appreciate the intricate beauty of the plot and scope of the movie (or perhaps a bit too slow to fully comprehend it) or wanted another batman that was great simply because of a great villain. Bane was not as much the focus of this one as the joker was in the Dark Knight, and the movie is better for it. Bale, Hatheway and Levitt turn in great performances and Bane is a great foil that doesn't completely steal the show. Those familiar with Bane's origins will be pleased this is a great interpretation of the character that.... let's just say doesn't miss any notes :). There is one weird twist that I cannot discuss for the purposes of spoilers that felt rather unnecessary, but it was a real treat for viewers who tire of movies that treat them like idiots Expand
  23. Jul 20, 2012
    Modern day Citizen Kane. This is a fascistic look at revolt in a city of desperation. Nolan delivers with a grand slam. Epic conclusion to the most epic trilogy of all time.
  24. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is without a doubt one of the most interesting movies I've ever seen. It was nothing like I expected and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I love how Nolan's Batman movies have evolved and feel so different than the ones before it because you do not get tired of them. The movie is different from The Dark Knight and Batman Begins because it is more grandoise and complex. There are several twists in The Dark Knight Rises that add a level of complexity that the previous two films did not have. That being said, The Dark Knight Rises is not better than The Dark Knight because of its muddled plot and rushed ending sequences.
    The muddled plot comes from the fact that Nolan relies to heavily on the ending sequences to explain earlier events. For some that is good enough, but I expect more from Nolan. Also certain events in the film seem over the top and in some cases there is no explanation for how they came to be. Especially, the French Revolution like court scenes. There are many other examples, but I do not want to spoil the movie. Despite these flaws, The Dark Knight Rises manages to keep you engaged because of the wonderful characters and the outstanding perfomances from the actors. The newcomers, Tom Hardy as Bane, Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle, Joseph Gordon Levit as John Blake, and Marion Cotillard as Miranda Tate are all wonderful additions that add compexity to the film and some wicked twists at the end. So overall I think the film is good and worth seeing, but not a masterpiece like The Dark Knight was.
  25. Jul 23, 2012
    An absolutely breathtaking end to an amazing trilogy. Without spoiling anything, I was left with a tear in my eye, lump in my throat and goose bumps all over towards the final scenes in this movie. Ignore the negative reviews, there are faults with everything if you look for them hard enough. Go and see this movie and make up your own conclusion, you owe it to yourself.
  26. Jul 20, 2012
    why SO SERIOUS ........................................ stupid marvel dumb asses giveing bad review

way better that DISNEY'S avanger ****
  27. Sep 9, 2012
    All the suspense and action we have come to expect from Nolan, a great film and certainly a worthy ending to such a successful franchise.
  28. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight was my favourite film, and it was because of this I feared that The Dark Knight Rises would be a disappointment. At no point during the entirety of the film did I feel in any way disappointed by the film. TDKR ends the trilogy in truly style, capturing a scale never managed by Batman Begins or The Dark Knight. A must see film.
  29. Jul 20, 2012
    I do NOT like the 100% or out of ten scores... but I need to anyways. I give this a 9 because it was a terrific film just like the prev two but with some flaws. It was rushed in the first hour, probs cus the original cut is too long for a theatrical release. I'm now excited to get the blu ray version...

I say check this movie out because it's a great movie on its own. The narrative is
    the best one in the series since BB. All the actors were great in it (especially Hathaway, Bale, and Caine), the filmmaking was fantastic (glorious in IMAX. Cinematography is easily the best in years. Nolan's vision and scope is well put on screen. Very epic) and the script was well written (although it has some plot holes)

I do not understand the 70 ish score from the critics. I love Ebert and I was put down by his score, it did not match with his review at all. What the critics and Nolan haters are doing is nit picking, extreme nit picking at that. Nolan concludes this trilogy in honorable fashion and I loved it. My favorite Batman movie, although TDK is a better film. The trilogy is just an engrossing epic itself... I love how the three films are all completely different in tone and style.

BUT the movie can make the audience feel uncomfortable, it's almost 3 hours long and it's very much like a war drama and epic. I do not think people like disturbing and unfamiliar epics so that's probably a big factor to why so many critics did not like it. Bane is also a different villain, he is the embodiment of terrorism and revolutionaries. He's very menacing with his eyes and body movement but many ppl will probably dislike him because he isn't as memorable as Ledger's and Nolan's Joker.

This movie is VERY unique guys, and I really mean unique. It's not even a popcorn flick anymore, it srsly is a war epic with very unfamiliar and confusing style. I love these kind of films but most people do not. PS there isn't a lot of Batman in this movie, which I think is a positive, then again ppl want more Batman...

So to conclude this messy review (lol) I admire Nolan for really making an unique film and truly making a TRUE TO THE CORE Batman movie. It felt like Returns, Knightfall, and Dark Victory. I truly love Nolan for making it so different and unexpected, that even critics had a hard time watching this! I truly admire Nolan. He is a genius of a kind. He will be remembered for this trilogy and TDK trilogy has the biggest impact on me as trilogies and series go.

So don't go in expecting Avengers. This is a true and real movie, in time people will see this as a classic

PPS (jesus, I need to organise my writing!) Now I can't see Mr Ebert the same way as before... he gave Spidey 3.5/4, Avengers 3/4 and TDKR 3/4.... how is TDKR in the same league as the first two :( I liked them all but c'mmon man... I am a huge fan of Ebert but he just ruined it now. His review... and that score.. They both don't match! Now, as I said I hate the 10/10 or 100% type of scoring so I'll give a more accurate score: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

(btw that's ★★★★1/2 couldn't find any half stars so that's its
  30. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises was by far the best movie of the year. This was an incredible and well deserve ending to the Dark Knight Trilogy. There are so many details that make this movie well written. The production sets are amazing. What i love most is that Nolan use live action instead of CGI. The 164 minute film flew by fast. The action pack was outstanding. Tom Hardy as Bane gave a powerful performance. His expressions were the best. Christian Bale did an amazing job as Bruce/ Batman then before. Anne Hathaway stun with her character and Michael Caine as Alfed touched me. Overall the actors were great. There was so much surprising and shocking scences that kept me on the edge it was an emotional, breath taking film. Nolan has given us the best conclusion for the dark knight trilogy. This movie seriously made me cry. Thank you Nolan you have beaten the threequel curse and have given us the ending we deserve. Expand
  31. Jul 22, 2012
    TDKR was worth the wait and it met my ridiculously high standards. For starters, The Dark Knight is my favorite movie and what I consider to be an instant classic just four years after it's release. Also, Chris Nolan is my favorite director and he never disappoints me. That said, this delivers. The acting, action, cinematography, set designs, costumes, and music are all top notch, and will lead to at least 8 academy nominations come february. There are about 4 or 5 set pieces that are jaw-dropping. Bale and Caine give their best performances of the series and are the heart of the movie. New additions Hardy, Levitt, Hathaway, and Cortillard are all spectacular as you would expect. The main complaint this film has and will continue to receive is that it is "long" and "bloated". However, the long length and large number of characters gives it an epic and book-like feel. The film really takes its time in telling it's story, whereas some long movies start to rush to the end around the 2 hour mark. While there are a lot of things going on, the story is relatively simple and all of the characters have a good story arc that concludes in a great way. Ending a series is so hard because of the expectations fans build up, whether it is film, television, or books. But this film really does have an ending that should satisfy the majority of fans. This successfully earns the title of best trilogy of all time in my opinion with LOTR close behind. It is that good from beginning to end. Most of all, Nolan decided to take chances with this film when he could have played it too safe. Job well done by Nolan and company. Best Picture and Best Director nomination please. Expand
  32. Jul 20, 2012
    THE DARK KNIGHT RISES. HANDS DOWN. THE BEST MOVIE EVER! Incredibly brilliant end to the batman series. Stunning on Epic Proportions. That's Batman for you! Mind-blowing. Thank you Christopher Nolan and Batman. Truly Inspiring.
  33. Jul 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The conclusion to this cultural phenomenon of a series did not leave me disappointed in the slightest. Being a big movie fan, as well as having a pretty thorough knowledge of the history of the comic, I was very pleased with how Christopher Nolan handled the final installment of his trilogy. The story is great, the acting is great from every member of the main ensemble (Bale, Hardy, Hatheway, Caine, Oldman, Cotillard, Gordon-Levitt and Freeman all do excellent jobs) and the presentation is stunning as well. To ask this film to live up to the magnitude of it's predecessor is incredibly unfair and while it isn't a greater showing than thee last one it's still a high quality blockbuster, and very fitting conclusion to the series. Bane is, in my opinion, about the perfect villian to follow up The Joker and while I was skeptical initially, the inclusion of Selina Kyle definitely adds to the film. Again, I think the film was excellent. The characters, plot, visuals, and score were all fantastic and the film did I good job tying the evolution of Bruce Wayne throughout the films together. I do not want to (and won't) give much away but the only qualms I had with this movie were that, first,as others have said, the storytelling was a little messy until about half way through ( i might even say rushed even though half way is about 80 minutes in). Secondly, the relationship between Bruce Wayne and Miranda Tate develops suddenly without much foundation. Lastly and least importantly, I had trouble understanding Bane a couple times but this is really rather minimal as it only happened with two or three lines and I was still able to make out what he said. All in all I really enjoyed this movie and highly recommend it to anyone who likes movies or is even a lukewarm fan of the series. Expand
  34. Jul 20, 2012
    Dark Knight Rises was EPIC ! this is how you wrap up a trilogy. The film was intense and kept you invested all the way through.the character were well developed, believable and very well acted. The visual effects were stunning and complimented well by Zimmers rousing score. An almost 3 hour movie has never gone by so quickly for me and if there is a longer directors cut im buying it day one. The Superman teaser looked cool too. I guess Nolan is just gonna revamp the entire DC universe which would be amazing. Expand
  35. Jul 21, 2012
    A masterpiece of a film and hugely enjoyable. It's a fitting end to what is arguably one of the best superhero series. Nolan has consistently delivered dark, thrilling films, with the villains menacing. I personally preferred this over The Dark Knight simply because I felt Heath Ledger as the Joker was overpowering. His performance was amazing no doubt, but it just seemed to overshadow all of the other performances. In here, the film's roles were split almost evenly between Batman and Bane and there was surprising twists - usually such things are predictable but I didn't see them coming. Bane's great too, although I couldn't take him seriously with the way he spoke. It was apparent he wasn't one to mess with when you saw his superhuman strength. An amazing film, well worth a watch. Expand
  36. dst
    Jul 20, 2012
    Sensationally concludes one of the greatest trilogies of modern cinema, and gives Bruce Wayne/Batman a satisfactory ending. Despite seeming muddled, flawed and overly complex at the beginning of the film the final act brings it's entirety together spectacularly and resolves questions that were asked even in the two prior films, bring the trilogy in a fulfilling circle.
  37. Jul 20, 2012
    absolutely amazing ok the best villain of the trilogy was heath ledger but tom hardy was amazing in his own right christian bale embodies batman and bruce wayne, christopher nolan deserves an oscar for this movie its that good just brilliant. beautifully shoot in imax great story and ann hathaway was unbelievable great she totally deserves her own catwoman movie can not recommend this seminal movie any higher GO AND SEE IT NOW Expand
  38. Jul 20, 2012
    Terrific piece of film making that stands out well beyond the whole "superhero" thing. The action is great and Nolan really brings the characters to life again. Hardy's Bane plays an extremely close second to Ledger's Joker. The real accomplishment here is the humanization of its characters. We see everyone at their most vulnerable, and that is what is so utterly chilling. Being a Bat-nut I saw the twists coming from a mile away, but those not well versed in the universe should be in for a pleasant surprise. Hardcore fans might gawk at the liberties Nolan takes with the mythos, but Nolan provides a new spin on a classic chapter that only he could pull off without me screaming "blasphemy." It really is a fitting end to an excellent trilogy. Expand
  39. Jul 20, 2012
    The first thing that comes to mind when you leave the theater after watching the visually spellbinding,emotionally satisfying & the majestic storytelling spectacle named "The Dark Knight Rises",is that Christopher Nolan has cemented his place in the history of cinema for turning a cult comic book franchise into the most enthralling silver screen experience anyone can ever hope for.The dialogues are sure to resonate for ages;the performances,especially from Christian Bale & Tom Hardy,deserve every possible accolade & each scene simply exudes sheer brilliance.The literal & metaphorical rise of the Dark Knight is displayed with the utmost aplomb & the climax is,in my humble opinion,the greatest conclusion to a masterpiece ever witnessed on the silver screen.Watch the film not only for its magnitude,but for an unbelievably enriching cinematic experience & to be a part of Nolan,the magician's once in a lifetime extravaganza. Expand
  40. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is a near-perfect masterpiece, my favorite film of the year so far, one of the best superhero films ever made, and one of the most fitting conclusions to a film series ever. The cast is at its best here and the story will keep you on the edge of your seat when the amazing action scenes take place. The climax is one of the most breathtaking I've ever seen and the conclusion make the last couple of minutes of the film so satisfying and wrap the trilogy up nicely. Definitely go see it and keep the victims o the horrific Colorado shooting in hearts as well. Expand
  41. Jul 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have no doubt that The Dark Knight rises was the most exhilarating cinematic experience of my life. The suspense was so effectively crafted that after selected scenes, I was shaking. The acting across the board was excellent, particularly Bale, Gordon-Levitt and Hathaway (in my opinion, her sexy, sassy performance was the stand-out). The supporting cast was wonderful as usual, with Caine harnessing some very powerful emotion. Hardy as Bane was very menacing and inspired, but perhaps not quite on par with Ledger's Joker. Also, Bane's voice wasn't perfect and the result of the effect was that it sounded like it was coming from... everywhere, and not his mouth. I thought Cotillard was a tad bland but her role was definitely interesting. The only other criticism I have is that it started a bit slow, and the plot in the beginning was a bit murky but once it took off, it skyrocketed - Bane and Batman's first encounter was electrifying and one of the scenes that left me shaking. Of the script, the dialogue was very good, and Bane's origins were a high point for me. I can't quite decide if it's better than The Dark Knight. I'm tempted to say not (nothing will top The Joker) but as an instalment of the series, it was immensely satisfying and the most enjoyable. I was incredibly pleased with the ending, as I think many fans will be. It ends with the faintest chance of a spin-off, but as it wouldn't be directed by Nolan, I don't think I want to see it happen. In conclusion, it lived up to the hype and even if it does fall slightly short of The Dark Knight, I don't think anyone minds and it was definitely a wonderful film and an excellent conclusion. Expand
  42. Jul 20, 2012
    Incredible film. Best movie of all-time. Action, dialogue, drama, emotion, hopelessness, resiliency, this movie had at all. Bale, Caine, Freeman, Hathaway, Oldman, Leavitt, Cotilliard, and Hardy all NAILED their parts. Fantastic ending that wrapped up the trilogy perfectly.
  43. Jul 20, 2012
    Saw it last night. In a Marathon of the other two. One of the best movies that I have seen in a very, very long time. The words Masterpiece could pretty easily be used. I saw the entire trilogy back to back. As a whole, Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy is greater then the sum of its parts. It is the engrossing tragedy of Bruce Wayne. The last hour or so is just completely non-stop. Gut wrenching and emotional. I wont tell you what happens at the end, but I was damn near tears.

What everyone is wondering is whether it is better then The Dark Knight. There is no better or worse, it is just different. As a villain, the Joker represented unplanned, unhinged chaos. As he put it, he is a dog just chasing a car, with no thoughts of what will happen when he gets it. Bane represents the same evil, harnessed with a plan. He knows exactly what he is going to do. The best way that I could describe Bane is as a mix between Hannibal Lecter and the Hulk. On the outside, a complete and utter savage brute. But in his mind, he is incredibly crafty, witty, and cordial in an odd way.

My highest recommendations goes out for this film. It was an experience watching it, and it easily is the best film of the year.
  44. Jul 20, 2012
    much better than The Dark Knight. Bane is a much more dangerous villain than Joker. watching batman being broken both in body and spirit by Bane, and then pick himself up again to fight for his beloved gotham is amazing to see. something the joker was unable to do. TDKR has a great storyline and was much more plausible than the dark knight where joker was a one man show with an unlimited amount of explosives he got from god knows where. to somehow plant it without anybody else knowing. and then somehow getting a whole city to play his game exactly the way he wants it. Expand
  45. Jul 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I won't go into superlatives, simply pros and cons.

Pros:
    1) Performances all round are exceptional. Bale dials back the voice and portrays a broken Bruce/Batman very well, Oldman (Commissioner Gordon) and Caine (Alfred the Butler) are as strong and dependable as ever, and there are fantastic performances from newcomers Anne Hathaway (a revelation as Catwoman), Marion Cotillard (Miranda Tate), Tom Hardy (a physical beast as Bane) and Joseph Gordon-Levitt in particular as city-cop John Blake. Well done to those who guessed where he ends up.
    2) Action sequences are thrilling throughout (from opening plane-hijacking to city-wide end chase/brawl via brutal fight between our hero and villain), both in terms of effects, pacing and execution.
    3) For me, the ending(s) were very nice indeed.

Cons:
    1) As has been much publicised by others, I had real trouble hearing some of the dialogue - particularly when Bane was speaking quietly. There was one conversation in the middle of the film where he and Batman were almost murmuring to each other under an ill-advised loud moment in the otherwise excellent score by Hans Zimmer.
    2) Morgan Freeman doesn't get much to do, although adding time for him might have stretched the film a bit too far.
    3) Whilst I don't necessarily agree, I can understand the small complaints that it takes a bit of time to get going.

Conclusion:
    The film would be great as a stand-alone film, but as a trilogy ender it's an absolute belter. There aren't many action trilogies to match it - including the original Star Wars trilogy in my opinion - and we are unlikely to see another superhero story like it for many, many years.
  46. Jul 25, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises has flaws, and it doesn't live up to the excitement of its predecessor. Yet, it has breathtaking action, dazzling visual effects, and is as emotionally powerful as the finale of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. It features incredible performances from Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotilliard, Michael Kane, and Tom Hardy who makes for a terrifying villain. With an amazing original score from Hans Zimmer and breathtaking,thrilling action; this makes for a satisfying and beautiful conclusion to one of the greatest trilogies ever put to film. I give this movie 98%. Collapse
  47. Jul 22, 2012
    First, I must say that this is the best film I have ever seen produced for an IMAX screen. I went in with tentatively high expectations. I truly thought The Dark Knight was an excellent film, not just an excellent Super Hero flick. The Dark Knight Rises was as good if not better. Like most movies in the genre, the hero has to seem down and out only to make a heroic comeback. While you would expect the same here, the journey to a supremely climactic finish is anything but formulaic. This movie made me rethink my feelings about The Avengers (which I gave a 10) in that a super hero film need not be cheesy, childish, or humorous to be great. This truly was a dark night where glimmers of hope seem to evaporate with thunderous booms. Only to leave you applauding with everyone else as the credits roll. Expand
  48. Jul 20, 2012
    A Master Piece . That is how thing will end up if terrorist show up , A Legend will born Consist alot of fighting then Dark Knight And also more then Begin. This is how a movie should be! With a nice soundtrack and a Brilliant special effect. Rise contain about 9 TV SPOT ( Trailer ) but don worry to watch them! They are all in the beginning , like in the early 30 minute. Prepare to be AMAZED !
    After watching it , Avenger kinda look like a teenage movie.
  49. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is centered around pain, and you can definitely feel it in this! Chris Nolan has done his job to perfection for his trilogy! TDKR ties more into Batman Begins than The Dark Knight and gets all the loose ends sewn up. It takes the elements of Begins and the lie in Dark Knight to make one helluva a trilogy finale. As a Batman and Chris Nolan fan, I think TDKR is the best of the three and possibly Nolan's best, but I can understand if anyone chooses any three as the best. This film has the action, destruction to feed those fans while also having the most emotion for a Nolan film. Nolan really does make you get sucked into the characters he has built over 3 movies. Tom Hardy's performance as Bane really does the character justice with eyes of different emotion and the physicality he brings on screen. Anne Hathaway has to be the breakthrough performance as Selina Kyle, because she brings sexiness, strength, and class to her character. Christian Bale becomes Batman for the last time and delivers his best performance as the character in the trilogy. Wally Pfister's cinematography is top notch and Oscar worthy for this movie of such grand scale. Chris Nolan should at least get his nomination for director for the Oscars this year but who knows. I won't give anything away, but the ending was a great way to end Bruce's story. As a trilogy I think it is right up their with some of the best, and it really is one whole story. The trilogy does circle around if Bruce can become the ideal to become the legend that Ra's al Ghul says in the first film. This truly is the greatest superhero/comic book trilogy/film. Expand
  50. Jul 21, 2012
    I'm having trouble thinking of something better to write about this movie than "I love it," but it's getting really hard. It's ingenious, tight, character-driven and raw. The reason I was so antsy to see it was because of Bane: one of my favorite villains played by one of my favorite actors. And he is a really really scary dude. Comparisons to Darth Vader are completely apt. Tom Hardy does so much with voice and body language that the character is endlessly expressive, despite his face being obscured. I love the way he's always resting his fists in his chest. It's also easy to assume that such a big bloke has porridge for brains, so the way he combines that vicious, brutal and graceful physicality with rather genteel hyper-articulation is really jarring. Bane's voice has a playful lilt to it, as though he's adding a little "isn't it obvious?" and "don't you agree?" to everything he says. Expand
  51. Jul 22, 2012
    "The Dark Knight Rises" is a bittersweet viewing experience, an exhilarating dramatic adventure so fully engaging that when it reaches it's powerful and emotional climax, you leave the theater feeling like you are saying goodbye to a dear friend you will never see again that makes this the crown jewel of superhero epics and one of the most satisfying and complete movie trilogies ever made. As much as I want to see another Batman movie, I can't imagine one without Christian Bale under the direction and talents of Christopher Nolan who so fully realized this character and the drama of the relationships and themes that make the Dark Knight legend so resonant and real. Thanks to Chris Nolan and company for presenting Bruce Wayne's journey in a way I don't see anyone ever surpassing. Bravo to series veterans Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, and to new cast members Tom Hardy, Marion Cottilard and especially Anne Hathaway as the definitive Selina Kyle. It's been a hell of a 9 year ride getting here! The best of the trilogy. Expand
  52. Jul 24, 2012
    Christopher Nolan directs the third of his Batman Trilogy reuniting the series regulars and introducing others that worked with him on Inception. Nolan
  53. Jul 31, 2012
    Totally enjoyable. I think people went to the cinema with way too many expectations and forgot to watch the movie for what it was worth. On it's own, people would have generally loved the film a lot more. I think one set went expecting The Dark Knight part 2 and the other went with crates of comics expecting something else. It was a brilliant movie with a worthy villain and I have nothing but praise for it Expand
  54. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is Dark Knight's equal. The production values are every bit as stellar, if not better for our time. The characters are very memorable and exciting. I was skeptical about the inclusion of Bane, but what a great and unique choice he ended up being. The soundtrack is the best in the series and the story might be too. I can't recommend this film enough and if you're remotely into movies you should see it. Expand
  55. Jul 23, 2012
    the more i think about this movie, the more i like it. seeing it once is just an introduction to the story and the characters. the journey REALLY starts on viewing number 2, where you can piece together everything that this movie is doing. All of the shades of grey it tries to paint.
  56. Jul 23, 2012
    After seeing the other brilliant films that Christopher Nolan has made, I knew that The Dark Knight Rises would be amazing. I knew it would be brilliant from the moment I found out that it was being made. But I never, ever anticipated the quality of this film.

I won't go into too much detail, but everything is perfect: the story, the effects, the acting...everything has been carefully
    considered and used to masterful effect.

The story is excellent, and culminates in one of the best, if not the best, film endings I've ever seen. Anne Hathaway is the perfect actress to portray Catwoman, and while Tom Hardy's performance doesn't match Heath Ledger's, it is nonetheless brilliant and his Bane is a very different villain from those previously seen in Batman films. It goes without saying that this intelligent, sinister Bane is hundreds of miles ahead of the stupid, emotionally soulless character featured in Joel Schumacher's....'Batman' film.

In conclusion, this is the greatest superhero film, let alone Batman film, ever created, and well up there with the all-time greatest films. This dark, exciting epic makes the recent Marvel films look silly and childish. Everyone should see this film, and will be celebrated by film critics and audiences alike as one of the greatest films ever made for years to come. A masterpiece.
  57. Aug 4, 2012
    Great movie, one that if you feel mixed about it you should definitely watch it again, completely different from The Dark Knight (which I've seen so many times), it's really a great way to end the trilogy and together this really does make a great trilogy, can't wait to watch all of the movies together in one sitting
  58. Jul 28, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is a surprisingly break-neck conclusion to Nolan's wistful Bat-trilogy, in that the bravado of the first two acts is largely overshadowed by the legacy that is (clears throat) THE BATMAN in his finest and final hour. While it's perfectly understandable that no one wants to see the Batman flutter into obscurity, least of all me, Christopher Nolan really has some balls for ending the vespertilian dream as no other would. I had the special joy of watching all three movies back-to-back, and I really think that fans of the series and the Batman universe alike who found this finale less than satisfactory might wish to consider taking a nice long walk in the opposite direction of the theatre instead of getting in line for something that they can't dignifiedly embrace. I look at The Dark Knight Rises, and I don't see the box-office behemoth of the summer or the cinematic main course of the year that ranters and ravers around the world are flocking to. I see the Dark Knight's bright conclusion, and that's really all that moviegoers ought to stomach. Flex your bat wings, moviegoers. Flex your bat wings. Expand
  59. Jul 20, 2012
    There is no other super hero film quite like it! Not only is it realistic but it becomes something more art. Under analysis this film does extremely well with allusions to the french revolution among other things. Nolan creates a mood of over arching dread and depression in a way I feel like I've never seen before. As pure entertainment it thrills. As a piece of art it engages with it's numerous techniques that create a feeling of dread as well as being much deeper than that. Nolan may have made the best trilogy of all time. Recently I was extremely big on the amazing spider man but this film does everything it did and so much more. You will not see a better film this year! I guarantee it. Expand
  60. Aug 5, 2012
    Fantastic Movie, The Dark Knight Rises ends the saga on a high note. The action was over the top and Bane was more fearless and intimidating then the joker, It was nice to see that the hero wasn't invincible for once. Bane literally made Batman beg for his life, yes they could of killed him. but what fun would that be , it was nice to see a realistic movie and a superhero cliche film
  61. Jul 20, 2012
    Not all critics hailed it as good as its immediate predecessor, but in all honesty TDKR is as good as The Dark Knight. Yes no one can match a truly magnificent performance by the late H. Ledger which make his last made film truly legendary and makes this last installment of Nolan's Batman really hard to finish and above all else TDK has put this last sequel on pedestal of everyone's eye, expecting higher than the usual but Hardy's performance as Bane make it big for this movie and of course Nolan's grand finale has its ground-breaking spectacular and non-stop nail-biting climax that would put you on the edge of your seat gripping till the last scene.

The script was greatly made by the Nolan brothers. There were a lot of new cast which you would think they're irrelevant but evidently it was a necessity to the climax. The acting was superb especially Hardy, Bale, Gordon-Levitte,and Caine. The plot and story and directing was amazing and real, I don't know how Nolan's brain works but it is amazingly effective.

TDKR is the very best finale sequel since LOTR: Return of the King. Of course it is way too better than the third sequel of Spider-Man, X-Men, Blade, even the third Star Wars.Overall TDKR is the best film of 2012 I've seen so far. It is definitely greater than to its competition. It has made The Avengers a child's play as said by TIME movie review. And definitely as great as The Dark Knight. Not all viewers will be pleased by this movie especially some critics, but in all honesty this is one of the greatest movie that has ever made (especially in our time).
  62. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is THE best Batman film I have ever seen, I did see this movie at the premier session after watching both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight and I thoroughly appreciated all the links and ties to both films especially to Batman Begins. This film does everything right a Batman film should, and other superhero films should aspire to be more like this film, with the story being influenced by graphic novels The Dark Knight Returns, Knightfall and No Mans Land. Any keen Batman fan will enjoy all the references, cameos and characters in this film and it lived up to all my expectations, this is definitely the best film of the trilogy, any batman film and is one of my favourite films of all time. Expand
  63. Jul 20, 2012
    The shortest 3 hours of my life was taken up by one of the most awesome cinema spectacles of all time. An amalgamation of the themes of Begins and Dark Knight coupled with the theme of pain makes for one of the most intense, emotional, harrowing and most of all - surprising films made, and arguably, the strongest in the franchise. Great performances all round, especially from Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon Levitt and Michael Caine. Expand
  64. Jul 22, 2012
    A powerhouse ending, beautiful story and thematic intensity make the final Dark Knight film a triumph. Nolan end his trilogy in grand fashion, taking heavy risks and succeeds in asking the audience to look at an apocalyptic threat to Gotham City. The film doesn't always have the crispness in dialogue, or tight packaging in the action sequences of its predecessors, but the emotional investment is far greater with Bruce Wayne's willingness to sacrifice himself to save Gotham, finally paying dividends in unexpected ways. It is awesome in IMAX Expand
  65. Aug 2, 2012
    London IMAX viewing. Awesome soundtrack, solidly watchable new characters/baddies, plot inconsistencies barely noticeable, top-notch action elements and overall epic conclusion. Not disappointed one bit. And I thought Avengers Assemble was going to be the best flick this year .. hats off Mr Nolan and co.
  66. Jul 20, 2012
    The weakest of the Batman trilogy. But that doesn't mean the movie is bad. In fact, it is far from it. From Christopher Nolan, i expected much more though. Anne Hathaway was brilliant as Catwoman and Tom Hardy as Bane. The movie is plagued with some plot holes though which I wont spoil but are obvious during the course of the film. This will make other superhero films seem childlike and the twists and turns of this movie are fantastic but overall, funwise, Marvel's The Avengers was the superior film. I had a blast cheering with my fellow midnight movie-goers and even though this film was a blast, it was the weakest entry of the Dark Knight saga. Expand
  67. Aug 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. F you all wannabe haters. Seriously , i've seen people giving low rates because they COULDN'T **** UNDERSTAND THE DAMN movie, seriously, if you're that dumb, go back to your The Iron Lady crappy sleepy overrated movie.
    That last movie was the conclusion i was hoping for, the music, the acting was perfect, the dialogues, they connected lots of points from the previous movies. **** when alfred told he had to quit, i almost cryied (friends nearby, couldn't) , right when you're starting to get a lil' bit bored, it goes and BAM! another **** amazing thing happens, not explosions and that, it's things that blow your mind, like when that freaking catwoman locked him against Bane.
    Now talking about Bane, his voice was pretty darn good, **** you wannabe haters saying that it looks like Darth Vader's, it was good.
    Seriously, it makes me mad people giving low grades, saying **** like "Oh, i couldn't understand it and i'm sure half of the people that watched also can't" or "It's only explosions and especial effects".
    To those retards i only say that: GO BACK TO YOUR STUPID BORING DOCUMMENTARY MOVIES, or back to that surprisingly bad, boring and annoying movie called The Iron Lady, or the King's Speech.
  68. Aug 9, 2012
    Many thought this movie was hard to follow, and introduced too many new characters, I disagree completely. this movie was action-packed, and beautifully done. Nolan created a mater piece of effects, acting and suspense. The second movie with joker was terrifying, emotional and amazing, but it nothing compared to this one. This one is so much more, action, emotion, terror, and a touch of humor. This movie is one for the ages and will last forever. Expand
  69. Jul 22, 2012
    It's not the masterpiece its predecessor was, but TDKR succeeds in bringing Nolan's Bat trilogy to a satisfying close. When all three films are viewed in their entirety, it's hard to argue with it being one of the best cinematic trilogies in recent history. It's right up there with The Lord of the Rings and Toy Story. Consistently excellent... it's well acted and engaging from start to finish. Onwards to Man of Steel! Expand
  70. Jul 21, 2012
    Do not let the negative reviews fool you into thinking that this film is a disaster because it isn't! I'm giving this review in an unbiased manner. My highly conservative-fantasy movie-hating dad actually liked it! Trust me that says a lot! My dad hates superhero/sci-fi/fantasy movies. Nolan gives us a bit of everything. He gives us action, drama, romance, and horror. You never know where the movie is going to go next. If you get into it and let yourself be taken over, it will be worth it. Bane and the Joker are 2 different villains. The Joker was more about uncontrolled chaos and anarchy while Bane is more about planned destruction with a purpose. Both villains are great. Batman (Bruce Wayne's) story is exciting. You're going to find yourself actually cheering for him as if you were at a boxing match. Watch me...do yourself this favor, it is all worth it. Expand
  71. Aug 22, 2012
    This is one hell of a conclusion to the best superhero franchise of all time. The bar is set so high that its going to take a lot to top it. This franchise managed to pit all this in reality and that is what makes it so chilling. When it comes to Bane he is as great as the Joker with an added bonus that you really feel scared that the bat may not make it out of this one. Hardy is great but I personally think that nobody topples Caine as Alfred. All his scenes are memorable to say the least. Bale is just as great, playing Batman as a kick ass with the right amount of frailty add that realistic touch. Gordon-Levitt also adds that dashing look even tough his role is hardly glamorous. If you really want to nit pick you can say that some scenes are a bit over the top, but that is just that nit picking at what's one of the greatest movies of the year. Anne is also superb as Catwoman adding spice to an already delicious recipe. There are surprising twists and those that are not, but all of them are executed with grace and excellent in their own regard. As a whole this is a fitting conclusion to the Bat. Expand
  72. Jul 20, 2012
    i would honestly admit this movie isnt entertaining as the dark knight. but it is the perfect ending for the whole trilogy. It basically sums up the whole trilogy. The movie is sheer calibre. As usual the cast were excellent combined with a good storyline. I was a bit disappointed at the fact the character John Blake had so much screen time because this is a movie of batman and bruce wayne. i believe they should showed more of batman n bruce wayne. anne hathaway did an interesting take on catwoman. really good. same as the brute, bane. honestly i think no director could have directed this movie and top this. people will look back n realise this whole trilogy as a benchmark besides the obvious lord of the rings but the thing is lord of the rings is already scripted, all they do is follow the book so its not fair to compare. Anyway,the movie never cease to amaze. i dont like blockbuster movies but this is fantastic. really gutted to see the trilogy of my favourite superhero ends. and for those people comparing this to avengers......c'mon thats child play compared to this. its emotionally engaging, has a human touch and story in it and its filled with action. what else do you need? Expand
  73. Jul 20, 2012
    Amazing really, Nolan close one of the best superhero sagas of all the time, that have amazing performances, the story and the development is really amazing. The performance of Christian Bale is really awesome, and the two new villians Tom Hardy and Anne Hathaway are really cool, the rest of the cast is very amazing. The movie is awesome, have a great end and yes is one of the best movies of this year. Expand
  74. Jul 20, 2012
    It's difficult to try and make a follow up to Probably the best batman film of all time due to an insanely good performance by Heath Ledger, but all that's over now and batman has to face what he had feared since The beginning. Anne Hathaway was the biggest surprise. She played an older more mischievous cat woman slash love interest that's what made the old 60s show such a big hit. There's always that rebellious chemistry between batman and her and that rottenly hot cat woman personality was lost for over 40 years. Naysayers will be astonished and fulfilled. Bain on the other hand is quite medium. There's nothing special about him. He's playing the role of a guinea pig. He doesn't fit the Bain I've really ever seen, but that's not a bad thing. He's a good choice for a trilogy closer. If you ask if Tom Hardy did a good job? His voice was dubbed (which wasn't too great) and you never get to see his face. For all you know it could be 3 different people playing the role, which I'm sure there was at least one stunt double who should get as much credit as Tom Hardy and have his name on the poster too. Ultimately the film was a great closer and with the exception of Bain flaws (dialog and unnecessary scenes) is one of the best movies this year. Expand
  75. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. if you go in the theaters with a view to watch something better than 'the dark knight' , you would be disappointed . But if you go in to watch a super-hero flick you will be amazed with the sheer magnificent ride and would love the movie overall. Better than 'batman begins' and as close to the 'the dark knight' as any super hero flick can go. definitely a must watch for batman fans and a glorified end to a miracle called 'batman- begins' Expand
  76. Jul 21, 2012
    I feel sorry for the unemotional moron's that can't see where this movie is coming from. I sat there in the theater locked to my seat, and when the entire auditorium started getting tears, none of us stopped getting them until the very end. Half of the people I heard coming out of the theater each said they didn't expect this to be an emotional movie, but I don't think anyone questioned the power that this third installment had on them. The Dark Knight, no offense to Heath Ledger's memory pales in comparison to this startling epic finale. People with out a heart will complain this movie was too boring, the other half will complain there weren't enough plot points. Those out there with a balance will come away questioning whether or not they'd ever have what it takes to give all of yourself to a cause. The Dark Knight is quite literally a joke in contrast to Rises. While the Joker's "shock scene's" may have gripped your attention for the moment, Rises will keep you questioning yourself for hours after. Special effects are top notch, Bale stops trying too hard, and the supporting cast shows that even a man without a face can be a hero to somebody. We could speculate over which masked character i'm talking about, but i'll leave that for you to decide. Expand
  77. Jul 23, 2012
    One of the best endings to a trilogy in history, the first film was more like a horror, the second; crime, the third; epic. And that's exactly what the film is; epic. The set pieces are phenomenal, all the gadgets and car chases will have you excited and on the edge of your seat, plus the story is pure genius. Unlike the others, this story has a massive scope, and I wont give away what it is, but unlike The Dark Knight, its massive. Bane provides a fitting villain, he's for one pretty scary and two a perfect choice for the film, his brute strength and brilliant mind provides Batman with one of his toughest villains. Tom Hardy is also very good in the role, obviously he cannot beat Heath Ledger as The Joker, but Hardy portrays Bane as sinister and an uncaring almost beast. As mentioned unlike the first two films in Nolans trilogy, this time he creates a film that you will enjoy more and more upon multiple villain, for there are so few slow scenes, the whole films is high tension and fast paced, and the budget must of inflated from the first, for if anyone has seen he trailer think that's it, believe me it not. Anne Hathaway is arguably the best Catwoman yet, she is a real femme fatale and is not the sexy Michelle Pfeiffer, but a Catwoman we really care for and can't wait to see, any of her fight scenes are almost better than Batman himself, but she fits so well in this film. She provides a sort of narrative device for the film, and if not for her other scnes would not occur. Her sub plot also fits very well, and we want to see her achieve it, and I'm so glad they put Hathaway in the final film and no other. There is obvious flaws in the film, especially where some scenes feel as if they are treading the same ground as Batman Begins, but this is only because The Dark Knight was so different to the original, but Dark Knight Rises is very different for as I mentioned this is simply an action-war-epic. And even if the middle is slower compared to the beginning and phenomenal end, the end and beginning make up for it, and the middle is still superb cinema! Something else many argue is the use of too many characters, but they really do fit, and Gordon Levitt works well as Blake, and Cotillard may seem pointless for a majority of the film, but by the end becomes a key character. Yes, there are too many characters for a final film where there should be fewer but they all get a character development. This truly is a perfect finale for one of the best trilogies of all time, and the only reason people are complaining is because the bar was set so high by The Dark Knight, but this truly is a wonderful, magnificent film full of twists and turns and a perfect, fitting ending that you will not forget. Expand
  78. Jul 20, 2012
    One word describes this movie EPIC!

The final chapter of the Dark Knight series goes out with a bang...intense actions sequences, superb acting, great soundtrack, and great story. Watched the midnight IMAX show ....totally worth the price of admission and it was mesmerizing because everything is just flawless! MUST WATCH! best movie of 2012!
  79. Jul 20, 2012
    Really good special effects, lots more CGI than the previous films, the stunt scenes are examples of perfect choreography.

The storyline is incredibly bleak (in a good way) and at the end of the film we have to say goodbye to some major figures that we have all come to love the previous 2 films. In face, given the amount of characters killed off, we can all be assured that there is no
    chance of a sequel, as there are no significant characters left to carry on the franchise.

Expect a "To Live and Die In LA" type of superhero film where heroes unexpectedly die. This isn't the traditional Hollywood blockbuster where the good guy lives and the bad guy dies.
  80. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight truly rises in this final instalment of Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy. I followed quite closely the production of the film and could not contain my excitement that overflowed at the Midnight screening here in Australia. Christopher Nolan surpassed all my expectations and left me with a feeling of deep satisfaction and contentment. The thing that stood out for me was that this film does not try to equal or better 2008's The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight Rises simply compliments the film. It is different in many areas, but these do not in anyway lessen the experience. Christopher Nolan has taken a series that was left in critical and financial darkness and has brought it back from the ashes. Bane is one of the greatest villains to grace our screens and is a perfect match for an instantly recognisable Dark Knight. I have kept in mind that the film is still fresh and audiences around the world are queuing to experience this cinematic masterpiece. I will leave on this not, Do not expect a retelling of the Dark Knight. The Dark Knight Rises is a film all on its own. This film concludes what has become one of the greatest franchises in modern cinema history. Thank you Mr Nolan. The Batman can once again walk with his head held high. Expand
  81. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises was an outstanding triumph. The direction of the film, the characters, and the action will provide an overall experience that is well worth 11$s for a ticket. To those who compare this to the Avengers; The Avengers is a good movie, but it falls short in many areas that Nolan succeeds. Bane is outstanding, and a certain young detective steals the show. This is the best Superhero film of the decade, probably ever. Expand
  82. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark night rises is a amazing academy award best picture this saga is the best in the history, bigger a and better , the lords of the rings is a litle saga stupid, not realistic, the dark night rises is a wonderfull movie in the history love film in my life , thanks you cristopher nolan thanks you master
  83. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is the single greatest movie I have ever seen. It is amazingly well written and has many surprising twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat. I haven't walked away from a movie feeling that good since 2005 and Revenge of The Sith. Batman may not be in it as much as I'd like but the superb quality of the movie makes that more than acceptable. A must see for anyone who likes to be entertained or wants to see an epic movie. Expand
  84. Jul 20, 2012
    Wow...what a movie!!!! I gave The Dark Knight Rises a 9 because it isn't perfect, but it is darn close. If you thought The Dark Knight was "dark", then "Rises" is a black hole where no light can survive. Compared to "Rises", TDK was a Bugs Bunny cartoon. This movie is the EPIC conclusion to Chris Nolan's stellar Batman trilogy. The story is huge, the action is huge and the intensity is monumental. This movie is not suitable for small children. It is rated PG-13 for a very good reason. The regulars in the cast were magnificent, as usual. To my surprise, I thought Ann Hathaway was very good as Catwoman. While Tom Hardy did an admirable job as Bane, I did have trouble understanding what he was saying at times. I read once that Christopher Nolan said he wanted to elevate the comic book superhero genre to the next level with his Batman movies. All I have to say to Mr. Nolan is "Mission Accomplished!!" God Bless the victims and the families affected by the Aurora shooting tragedy. Expand
  85. Jul 20, 2012
    This is the best batman movie so far. It was so descriptive with so much details. It is not often that I sit for 3 hrs to watch a movie with so much involvement. The best part of the movie was the rise of crime. I found all my childhood imaginations reading batman comics on a big screen. It is a real great experience to watch Christopher Nolan's movie. My respect for his talent is fostered by another great work. I highly recommend people to watch this movie. Expand
  86. Jul 20, 2012
    This is the Best Movie Ever Made, Best Trilogy in history. It is Epic, Jaws Dropping, Spectacular, Brilliant Masterpiece from Mr. Christopher Nolan!!! I Want See It Again And Again!
  87. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is an opus of a much different flavor than the previous installments in The Dark Knight Trilogy. Uniting the atmospheric tone of Begins and the noir, crime saga execution of TDK, Rises sets forth to entertain the audience while developing Bruce Wayne's story into an arc of considerable emotional progression, and ultimately delivers one of the best endings to a trilogy in cinema history. The focus in this outing is on Bruce Wayne. The Dark Knight was a Batman movie in every sense, where as The Dark Knight Rises can be accurately described as a Bruce Wayne story. The man behind the mask coming out of retirement to face villains the likes of which he has never experienced. Bruce's personal life and trials as a newly motivated Batman coalesce into obstacles that bring out the most human sides of him. Anger, stubbornness, hope and raw determination seep out of the character, and belie the ambiguity behind the symbol of the Batman. When Bruce is wearing the mask, it feels like Bruce Wayne wearing a mask. Doing a job. A civic duty that serves as the only thing he knows will give him purpose. Batman becomes a human being, and yet the symbol grows stronger because of it. I'll stop here to avoid spoiling anything.

As far as the surrounding cast goes: Bane is the most dangerous villain in the trilogy. He's an absolute menace. He's shameless, efficient, brave and extremely good at wrecking things. His presence is electrifying. Alfred is dishing out his usual wisdom, but we see a side of him we haven't seen yet and it's beautiful. John Blake is too easy to root for. A pure hearted, inspired cop who earns his stripes in more ways than one. Gordon is a relentless warrior who shows a good old fashioned hands dirty approach to everything. A man out of place in this new Gotham, who's old style becomes necessary to bring it back from the brink, and Catwoman is a dazzling, sexy, antihero whose character development is as smooth as Bruce Wayne's. She's an absolute tour de force in this film, and one of the best characters in Nolan's Batman Universe.

This review means only to set up the expectations of tone for The Dark Knight Rises, and to excite viewers who are looking forward to seeing it. It's a masterpiece. Arguably the best Batman film ever made, and a beautiful ending to a trilogy that has set a new standard in cinema.
  88. Jul 20, 2012
    I have Watched this Movie Twice on the day of its Release that too Back to Back Shows...... After Watching this Amazing Film,I can Say Only Five Words...... Fantastic,Marvelous,Great,Epic,Awesome.....
    Christian Bale has given Best Performance As Bruce Wayne/Batman as Usual. Bane was Horrible in the film.Gary Oldman,Morgan Freeman were Nice While Anne Hathaway did a great Job... All The
    Credit goes to the Director Legend Christopher Nolan....Batman Entry was too good.Effects and Music were Great... Not One Everything is Perfect....It has Sensational Climax with an Epic Ending.... I Want to See it again.... Dont Miss This Movie Guys....... The Dark Knight Rises Rocks........ Expand
  89. Jul 21, 2012
    I wanna start by saying even though about 85% of the reviews are more then positive, i can't understand what the other 15% are talking about, from a writing stand point this is the best trilogy... ever, period, bar none, as for this movie, if you like a great story with twists and turns, some you can see coming and others you didn't expect, solid acting and above all else if your a batman fan you can't not love this movie, without giving spoilers away... seeing how batman begins starts and what bruce waynes intention was, the dark knight rises ends in a perfect way, he lives up to his goal and if you ask me thats how to end a trilogy, for those who complain its to slow paced and it feels like a cop movie that might be true if your under the age of 13... for those people... watch the crap burton movies with no plot, no investment in the characters or any kind of structure with none stop action, go watch that crap, for those with taste, class and know a good story it gets no better then this... i give the dark knight rises a 15 out of 10... yea its that good. Expand
  90. Jul 25, 2012
    Anyone who has seen this movie once n felt bored n overstuffed needs to watch it 2nd time. U gonna luv it, i tell u coz the first time it feels like listening to 5 hours long lecture of ur teacher at college covering upto 3 long chapters. As u watch it the 2nd time or the 3rd, u will be very familiar with the small characters n ur mind wont be diverted frm the emotions n action spectacles n most importantly the central story coz u will know how they r gonna wind up dead or disappear frm the movie. yeah too much muchness has cost this movie many negative reviews even frm diehard Nolan fans but i tell u when u watch it 2nd time, everything u dislike about this movie calling it boring will be substantially reduced. IT is the movie whre Nolan isnt only interested in character of Bruce/ Batman but also on other characters of Gotham like kids, prisoners, oppertunists, rich fortuners, dutiful cops, terrrorists, newcomers in Gotham n many many more. All these characters build up Gotham city i.e 12 million other people xcept Bruce Wayne. Nolan's intention of picturizing all the lives of people residing in Gotham City in this huge canvass of epic movie comes with a little bit price like overlong, boring n maybe even bloated coz the uninteresting portions will occupy ur mind n may even sideline the interesting portions like actions or raw emotions coz u know the better parts are there in the movie but you cant remember where. But if u watch it 2nd time u already know there r this unteresting portions or characters n hence u can focus more on the interesting ones. This movie is epic, grandest n most spectacular movie of this summer but it is also something that tests your focus, attention and patience. If u succeed in your test, the outcome is the most rewarding one you have ever received with the grand climax n the perfect ending.

Even Bane made me emotional. I dont think he is wasted at all. Before his death, he surely has his moments. Marion Cotillard is even great too. Anne Hathaway is stunning as Selina Kyle. Though a cat burgler she has her emotional side. U can see her sad facial expression and even tears during some moments in her eyes. The best performance goes to Michael Caine. Though his role is short, he gives u the necessary emotion to carryout in the movie. Christian Bale is better than the last, looked to me on par with that of Batman begins as Bruce Wayne. Joseph Gordon Levitt is pretty good. He is the most optimistic character of the movie. Action scenes r stunning especially the football stadium one. The ending is brilliant though i dont think even now Batman really lives. I think Chris hasnt made it clear he lives or not. The ending doesnt give clear answer. Its just the indication that Christopher Nolan n Christian Bale will be no more in Batman franchise.
    If u dont love this movie, then dont go to theatre to see movie again. IT just ask u for ur little patience(maybe more), focus n attention and as i said the reward will be truimph victory for you.
    A piece of advice- i found staying at the front seat as possible than at the back more enjoyable in the theatre as it enriched my viewing experience n i also had more focus/ attention and hence it didnt felt boring at all the 2nd time i watched it like the 1st time. I also have heard from some of my freinds that if u watch it more, the more u will love it. Its like a feast that u cant eat n digest at once. U will need repeated visits to fully absorb and enjoy all the stuffs in the movie when everything makes perfect sense.
  91. Jul 26, 2012
    I waited more than 2 years for this film, and damn, it was worth it! The story is so awesome and well done. It only starts a little bit slowly but it's fine. Bane isn't as good as The Joker in The Dark Knight (that is very difficult though), but Tom Hardy does a very very good job. Anne Hathaway has surprised me, I thought she would be boring and bad, but like Tom Hardy, she acts very well. I don't know why some people hate this movie, but I enjoyed it like heaven!!! Expand
  92. Jul 29, 2012
    After four years of waiting, the anticipation for The Dark Knight Rises was massive. It seemed almost an impossibility to be able to equal or greater it's predecessor. Early reviews from critics appeared to confirm my fear that it could not rise to the heights reached by The Dark Knight, but nevertheless I was present on opening day. Over the last nine days I have watched the movie three times and I have no hesitation in saying that it is the best superhero movie I've ever seen and one of the greatest films ever made. While TDKR may lack the presence of a character as engrossing as the Joker, the acting of Tom Hardy as Bane and Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle was excellent. This is also the best performance from Christian Bale as Batman. While TDK may have been all about the Joker, TDKR is all about Batman and the completion of his journey. TDKR definitely has the most semblance of a comic book world compared to the previous films and seeing Batman and Selina flying over Gotham in the Bat on a foggy night really visualizes this feeling. The story, which has a great mythology surrounding Bane's character and Batman's fall and ultimate rise, ties in nicely with the first movie and builds to a sensational climax and brilliant conclusion with a few surprises. The Dark Knight Rises higher than I possibly could have imagined. Go watch it. And then go watch it again. Expand
  93. Jul 31, 2012
    The best superhero trilogy ever!Thank you Christopher Nolan.You know how to make movies and that is seen in the last part of The Dark Knight,The Dark Knight Rises.It brings stuff from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight movies and concludes everything so perfect,even though some of you didn't liked the previous movie,you will surely like this one more,because of it's intense action scenes.For the ones who liked the last movie there is still this great character development and slow paced story.Like the last two movies The Dark Knight Rises feels realistic in almost every aspect even though it's a superhero movie.It began,it went dark and it Rose to end in an EPIC scale! Expand
  94. Jul 31, 2012
    A powerfull film. Una pelicula poderosa, con la capacidad de hipnotizar a quien no busca tecnica pura o guiones perfectos. Simplemente es una pelicula para disfrutar sin juzgar y dejarse llevar a una historia epica que sin dejar de ser fantasia bien podria suceder en el mundo real.
  95. Dec 17, 2012
    A quality ending to a truly superb trilogy! Chris Nolan has yet again amazed audiences with a cavalcade of stunning visuals combined with the action packed, suspense filled final installment that was to be expected. The heights of The Dark Knight were difficult to reach and yet this story creates a more complete and fulfilling film as all characters are thoroughly involved within the main plot whilst simultaneously battling their own demons and developing as the 165 minutes come to a satisfying close. Credit must surely go to Tom Hardy for a chilling performance (much from the unique voice) and unfortunately an undeserved, quick demise. It was bound to be a difficult job to take over as villain after Heath Ledger and yet it works on an entirely different level. The Joker was feared due to his disturbed individuality and chaos induced life but Bane is feared for his organization and overwhelming force using all the utilities at hand. Overall nothing particularly let the film down and it easily is the best film of the year in my opinion. It's only stigma was following the critically acclaimed TDK and with the occasional cliche it unfortunately lacked the punch that Nolan had achieved in his previous stand alone masterpiece. It tied beautifully with Begins and has now taken over as my favourite trilogy of all time. Thank you Chris Nolan. Expand
  96. Sep 22, 2012
    Thanks to powerful performances, exciting action, and a thrilling script with one of the best endings every in a movie series, The Dark Knight Rises effectively and epically ends Christopher Nolan's masterful Dark Knight trilogy.
  97. May 12, 2013
    Its between The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. Better than Batman Begins but worse than the Dark Knight. I really liked the ending though.
  98. Jul 23, 2012
    Unlike The avengers, Batman uses real stunts and real emotion rather than digital effects and flashy lights and green screens. The behind the scenes footage of the movie is mind-blowing, you can really tell they put a lot of hard work into this movie. It also helps that they wait 3-4 years between each movie to make sure they have a good story line.
  99. Jul 20, 2012
    Wow. Okay, now I was very careful not to get swept up in the hype of this movie, as initially I felt SLIGHTLY disappointed by the last one. I know, I know, the Dark Knight was awesome and Ledgers Joker was legendary, but I guess I just expected too much from it, and it didn't quite feel like "Batman's film" as much as Batman Begins did. So I went into this with excitement, but some trepidation and no overly high expectations. Seriously, I needn't have worried. This is just brilliant, so I'll point out my only gripe with the film before I start lavishing it with praise: I spotted a plot-hole. That's it. It's not even the biggest plot-hole and could probably be explained away in one line of dialogue, perhaps it was explained in the IMAX version if it had extra scenes, but I did find myself asking: "How did he get back there so fast?" at one point in the film. That aside, this is just a beautifully made film. If ever there's a superhero movie that might make you cry, this is it. I got a lump in my throat during some of the scenes between Alfred and Bruce. I never thought Michael Caine quite got enough praise for his role in the previous 2 films, so I'm giving him a special mention here. Casting Michael Caine as Alfred was a stroke of genius, making him Bruce's father-figure as opposed to a just stuffy old butler like in some other batman films and series. I genuinely think he deserves a Best Supporting Actor nomination at this years Oscars, because never before have I had such a strong range of emotions during a comic book movie. I won't spoil anything, but Alfred plays a more important role than ever. Hardy's Bane was just as fascinating to watch as Ledger's Joker. Yes, he's THAT good. And Anne Hathaway, who many considered to be a somewhat controversial choice for Catwoman, absolutely nails it. She's funny, cool and sexy in just the right amounts, while bringing her own fair share of drama to the proceedings. Joseph-Gordon Levitt is the real surprise here, though. Not that anyone ever doubted his acting skills, it's just that as a completely new character, a rookie cop with no real ties to the other main characters, I didn't expect much more than a small supporting role, but as always, JGL shines in a role that was much, much more substantial than I expected. Morgan Freeman slips brilliantly back into the Lucius Fox role of course, and then there's Bale. I love Christian Bale, that's perhaps the main reason why the Dark Knight initially left me a little cold, he didn't get much chance to make an impression with all else that went on in TDK. I think he's great in everything from American Psycho to the Machinist, and when I first heard he was gonna be batman, I was over the moon. He was brilliant in Batman Begins, great in TDK too, but in this he's just phenominal. But all this great acting talent would be wasted of course, if the script and direction wasn't up to scratch. But Christopher Nolans script is tense, dramatic, tragic, action packed, surprising, and incredibly moving. I usually have reservations about giving out 10/10 scores, but this is a no-brainer. This is the film of the year, and far and away the best one of the trilogy. Brilliant. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.