8.4

1. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises was gloriously the best moment of my life in a movie theatre. It stands alone, peerless in the pantheon of superhero movies. There will be no spoilers here and if the impulse to spoil yourself before watching the film is too excruciating to bear, remember this, it'll be the equivalent of Selina Kyle robbing you blind. When Batman Begins came out, I was very scepticalThe Dark Knight Rises was gloriously the best moment of my life in a movie theatre. It stands alone, peerless in the pantheon of superhero movies. There will be no spoilers here and if the impulse to spoil yourself before watching the film is too excruciating to bear, remember this, it'll be the equivalent of Selina Kyle robbing you blind. When Batman Begins came out, I was very sceptical about watching another one of those Batman flicks, such is the enduring traumatic impression Joel Schumacher's films left me. Thank goodness I did and from that point on there's no turning back. Christopher Nolan's finale made all the recently released superhero movies look like child's play to be honest, it is the appetizer to the main course that is the final chapter of The Dark Knight trilogy. The typical critique of Chris Nolan's movies is that it might be too cerebral for the casual moviegoer, no it's not. His films are universal, it's so well-layered, directed towards everyone. If you're more of the "intellectual genre" you'll notice the political undertones and social commentaries and what have you, but even if it goes over your head, it doesn't detract your experience from the film. Fanatic fans of the Batman comics will love all the little nods and references, even the major ones from the comic books thoughtfully implemented throughout the film.
    Christian Bale is just magnificent, as he puts it he plays three characters, the billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne, the true persona of Bruce Wayne still grieving the lost of his parents and the Batman. He's the defining actor of The Dark Knight, his portrayal of all these characters are just perfect and even though he's a man dressing up at night as a bat beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands, we empathise with him. Returning inhabitants of Gotham and Bruce's fundamental foundation of his lifestyle is Gary Oldman's aged and weary morally-strayed Commissioner Jim Gordon, the Q to Batman's James Bond, Lucius Fox and possibly a Best Supporting Actor nominee perhaps, the closest thing to a father figure Bruce can get, his moral compass, oozing with words of wisdom, Michael Caine's Alfred Pennyworth. Scenes between the trio are so poignant, beautifully crafted and presented, it's so hard to watch without getting a lump in your throat, to describe it as tear-jerking ia an understatement. One of the newcomers is Joseph Gordon-Levitt's solid portrayal of beat cop John Blake and Marion Cotillard's enviromentalist Miranda Tate. The chief antagonist is Tom Hardy's full time terrorist Bane, He's frightening to watch, Tom embodies and embraces the sheer brutality and monstrosity of "the mercenary" flawlessly with half his face covered up, the way he conveys his emotions with only his eyes is amazing. Anne Hathaway's morally ambiguous Selina Kyle is a wild card, it's really fun to watch the development and chemistry between Bruce/Selina and Batman/the cat burglar. The 2 hours and 44 minutes running time didn't feel long at all, the story flows seamlessly as it comes full circle with flashbacks from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, it's all beautifully balanced between the intimate moments of character development that's unusual in a summer blockbuster film and the really elaborate and simply put awesome all-out war action sequences and the choreography of the brawls between Batman and Bane is much improved than the previous films. The most important element of The Dark Knight Rises however and what makes it a gem is that it manages to amp up the suspense and anxiety to incredible heights knowing that every single character is dispensable including the Batman. When was the last time you watched a superhero film and feel a genuine concern that our hero is not going to come out alive? Exactly.
    Thank you Christopher Nolan for not giving in to the public and I'm assuming studio demands to continue this magnificent 7-year journey we have all been through together, to truly end this great vision of the legend with integrity, to give this great story a great and true conclusion to let the Batman ride off into the sunset if you will. It was the ending this iconic character deserved. And to anyone who thinks the Rises in The Dark Knight Rises is just a convenient way to name the film, it makes complete sense, it
  2. Jul 20, 2012
    It is an amazing film.Although Tom Hardy as Bale isn't able to match the performance of Heath Ledger as the Joker, but he gives a very solid performance.The acting of Bale too is great along with a brilliant plot.I think it really is the epic conclusion to the Batman Trilogy.Thanks Nolan for this film:)
  3. Jul 20, 2012
    This movie was an absolute perfect conclusion to the batman trilogy. It had action emotions effects and an incredible story. The acting and directing were captivating and harmonious and The fight scenes were thrilling. I could not have asked for a better conclusion.
  4. Jul 20, 2012
    The movie content is fantastic. Must see,btw. It's one of a kind. Christian Bale did it again , hope it tops the charts yet again .Guys please try and give it a 10/10 rating , I just want this movie to break all records and set its position on cloud nine.
  5. Jul 20, 2012
    awsome movie. i was shocked at bane character ! nice plot. critical thinking. i love bruce wayne spirit. i can feel the pain.uhhh....anyway..4 years i wait for this sequel.....wow....i was so happy last nite..most of the audience clap hands at the end...thank you NOLAN..
  6. Jul 20, 2012
    Okay, Marvel fanboy here, and I'm saying that the Avengers was just surpassed here. Let's be real, The Avengers was a cheesy explosion of special effects. A very good one, but it doesn't match the gripping emotions, the stellar acting, and grand directing of this film. The Avengers is great pop culture entertainment, Rises is simply great CINEMA.
  7. Jul 21, 2012
    I don't usually review films but felt compelled to with this. I won't say much as it's all pretty much been said but it was the perfect to ending to a perfect trilogy & for me has sealed Nolan's place as one of Hollywood's greats.
  8. Jul 20, 2012
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is the best Batman movie ever. The action, scale, and emotion involved is breathtaking. Bane rivals the Joker as one of the best villains I have ever seen. This movie will have you on the edge of your seat and keep you holding your breath the entire time.
  9. Jul 20, 2012
    Now I see it, it sounds like batman's struggle against the Avengers. but there is no point of comparison, because batman does not compare to the movie of the advengers child.
  10. Jul 20, 2012
    Incredible and satisfying end to the Dark Knight trilogy. This is as good or better than the previous movie, and it is probably the best way they could have ended the series. The acting is great, the action scenes are amazing, the music is epic, and the story is very well executed. Highly recommended. The best superhero movie since the Dark Knight, and perhaps the best of all time.
  11. Jul 20, 2012
    The movie is about equal to the dark knight, which is a superb thing. the start is kind of slow and there are a few minor unexplained things, but just an overall brilliant film. the ending is the best i have ever seen in a film!
  12. Jul 20, 2012
    The production values are brilliant. Camera, costumes, sets, production design and the rest are superior and, with the roller coaster ride Nolan gives us, make the 164-minute film fly by. My Favorite batman Flim yes Better than TDK :)
  13. Jul 20, 2012
    Just when i didn't think it was possible, i was proven wrong. "The Dark Knight Rises" tops "The Dark Knight". Wow, talk about an amazing film. Amazing performances all around. Definitely the best goes to Tom Hardy and his exceptional work as Bane, while being excellent, he still wasn't as good as Heath Ledgers job as "The Joker" though, but Bane was still bada$$. Christopher Nolan is aJust when i didn't think it was possible, i was proven wrong. "The Dark Knight Rises" tops "The Dark Knight". Wow, talk about an amazing film. Amazing performances all around. Definitely the best goes to Tom Hardy and his exceptional work as Bane, while being excellent, he still wasn't as good as Heath Ledgers job as "The Joker" though, but Bane was still bada$$. Christopher Nolan is a genius and a mastermind. He has just created the best trilogy ever! I'm sad to see it end but at the same time i have to give a hand for Mr. Nolan and the amazing work he has done and its a good thing he doesn't overdo it and he knows that, one of the reasons why he "ends" it with "The Dark Knight Rises". Whether you're a Batman fan or not, you simply must enjoy this film because it is a pure stroke of genius. Everybody needs to witness this awesome, pulse-pounding, heartracing, and exciting film. Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon Levitt (who was amazing especially) Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, and Michael Caine all had outstanding performances in this movie. This movie in every sense of a way deserves a 10/10. The Dark Knight Rises will leave you with your mind completely blown, and the people who have already seen it know exactly why i say this. Now stop reading this review and go witness Christopher Nolans latest and last Masterpiece of our favorite vigilante "The Batman". Expand
  14. Jul 20, 2012
    Chris Nolan did it again. The dark knight rises topped the the dark knight. Rises had the best cast and best plot making for a entertaining edge of your seat summer block busting box office hit. I would recommend seeing it and i will see it again.
  15. May 12, 2013
    Its between The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. Better than Batman Begins but worse than the Dark Knight. I really liked the ending though.
  16. Dec 17, 2013
    The Dark Knight Rises is an immensely satisfying conclusion to The Dark Knight trilogy although it doesn't really match up to the heights of its predecessor.
  17. May 4, 2013
    Although The Dark Knight Rises can't top The Dark Knight, it was a great movie that knew what it was; a worthy closing chapter to a trilogy. TDKR sets the trilogy as the best comic-book trilogy of all time for being just an epic conclusion and a great movie. Although I wasn't happy with some of the plot points, they worked for the movie and can be forgiven dune to the epic action sequences.
  18. May 21, 2013
    Great film, second best of the trilogy after The Dark Knight. Really, it's different to the other films in the trilogy but has some interesting themes.
  19. Sep 9, 2012
    All the suspense and action we have come to expect from Nolan, a great film and certainly a worthy ending to such a successful franchise.
  20. Aug 2, 2012
    London IMAX viewing. Awesome soundtrack, solidly watchable new characters/baddies, plot inconsistencies barely noticeable, top-notch action elements and overall epic conclusion. Not disappointed one bit. And I thought Avengers Assemble was going to be the best flick this year .. hats off Mr Nolan and co.
  21. Aug 9, 2012
    Many thought this movie was hard to follow, and introduced too many new characters, I disagree completely. this movie was action-packed, and beautifully done. Nolan created a mater piece of effects, acting and suspense. The second movie with joker was terrifying, emotional and amazing, but it nothing compared to this one. This one is so much more, action, emotion, terror, and a touch ofMany thought this movie was hard to follow, and introduced too many new characters, I disagree completely. this movie was action-packed, and beautifully done. Nolan created a mater piece of effects, acting and suspense. The second movie with joker was terrifying, emotional and amazing, but it nothing compared to this one. This one is so much more, action, emotion, terror, and a touch of humor. This movie is one for the ages and will last forever. Expand
  22. Aug 22, 2012
    This is one hell of a conclusion to the best superhero franchise of all time. The bar is set so high that its going to take a lot to top it. This franchise managed to pit all this in reality and that is what makes it so chilling. When it comes to Bane he is as great as the Joker with an added bonus that you really feel scared that the bat may not make it out of this one. Hardy is great butThis is one hell of a conclusion to the best superhero franchise of all time. The bar is set so high that its going to take a lot to top it. This franchise managed to pit all this in reality and that is what makes it so chilling. When it comes to Bane he is as great as the Joker with an added bonus that you really feel scared that the bat may not make it out of this one. Hardy is great but I personally think that nobody topples Caine as Alfred. All his scenes are memorable to say the least. Bale is just as great, playing Batman as a kick ass with the right amount of frailty add that realistic touch. Gordon-Levitt also adds that dashing look even tough his role is hardly glamorous. If you really want to nit pick you can say that some scenes are a bit over the top, but that is just that nit picking at what's one of the greatest movies of the year. Anne is also superb as Catwoman adding spice to an already delicious recipe. There are surprising twists and those that are not, but all of them are executed with grace and excellent in their own regard. As a whole this is a fitting conclusion to the Bat. Expand
  23. Jul 23, 2012
    I have seen two great super hero movies this year; this and Chronicle. Before I saw this movie I was figuring Chronicle was going to be the best of the year. This movie blew that out of the water. It did this basically with pure scale. I have not seen any other super hero that can match this one. This film basically gets everything right. Unlike a recent super hero film The Avengers, TDKRI have seen two great super hero movies this year; this and Chronicle. Before I saw this movie I was figuring Chronicle was going to be the best of the year. This movie blew that out of the water. It did this basically with pure scale. I have not seen any other super hero that can match this one. This film basically gets everything right. Unlike a recent super hero film The Avengers, TDKR is dark. I know that not every one likes a dark film, but I'm not writing this as them. I really did feel tense in this movie. The final sequences are basically on the epic scale of Lord of the Rings. I hope that Super Man is this good. I did see the trailer for that and well it looks like a good film. Expand
  24. Jul 31, 2012
    A powerfull film. Una pelicula poderosa, con la capacidad de hipnotizar a quien no busca tecnica pura o guiones perfectos. Simplemente es una pelicula para disfrutar sin juzgar y dejarse llevar a una historia epica que sin dejar de ser fantasia bien podria suceder en el mundo real.
  25. Dec 17, 2012
    A quality ending to a truly superb trilogy! Chris Nolan has yet again amazed audiences with a cavalcade of stunning visuals combined with the action packed, suspense filled final installment that was to be expected. The heights of The Dark Knight were difficult to reach and yet this story creates a more complete and fulfilling film as all characters are thoroughly involved within the mainA quality ending to a truly superb trilogy! Chris Nolan has yet again amazed audiences with a cavalcade of stunning visuals combined with the action packed, suspense filled final installment that was to be expected. The heights of The Dark Knight were difficult to reach and yet this story creates a more complete and fulfilling film as all characters are thoroughly involved within the main plot whilst simultaneously battling their own demons and developing as the 165 minutes come to a satisfying close. Credit must surely go to Tom Hardy for a chilling performance (much from the unique voice) and unfortunately an undeserved, quick demise. It was bound to be a difficult job to take over as villain after Heath Ledger and yet it works on an entirely different level. The Joker was feared due to his disturbed individuality and chaos induced life but Bane is feared for his organization and overwhelming force using all the utilities at hand. Overall nothing particularly let the film down and it easily is the best film of the year in my opinion. It's only stigma was following the critically acclaimed TDK and with the occasional cliche it unfortunately lacked the punch that Nolan had achieved in his previous stand alone masterpiece. It tied beautifully with Begins and has now taken over as my favourite trilogy of all time. Thank you Chris Nolan. Expand
  26. Jul 23, 2012
    An absolutely breathtaking end to an amazing trilogy. Without spoiling anything, I was left with a tear in my eye, lump in my throat and goose bumps all over towards the final scenes in this movie. Ignore the negative reviews, there are faults with everything if you look for them hard enough. Go and see this movie and make up your own conclusion, you owe it to yourself.
  27. Jul 31, 2012
    Totally enjoyable. I think people went to the cinema with way too many expectations and forgot to watch the movie for what it was worth. On it's own, people would have generally loved the film a lot more. I think one set went expecting The Dark Knight part 2 and the other went with crates of comics expecting something else. It was a brilliant movie with a worthy villain and I have nothingTotally enjoyable. I think people went to the cinema with way too many expectations and forgot to watch the movie for what it was worth. On it's own, people would have generally loved the film a lot more. I think one set went expecting The Dark Knight part 2 and the other went with crates of comics expecting something else. It was a brilliant movie with a worthy villain and I have nothing but praise for it Expand
  28. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is without a doubt one of the most interesting movies I've ever seen. It was nothing like I expected and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I love how Nolan's Batman movies have evolved and feel so different than the ones before it because you do not get tired of them. The movie is different from The Dark Knight and Batman Begins because it is moreThe Dark Knight Rises is without a doubt one of the most interesting movies I've ever seen. It was nothing like I expected and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I love how Nolan's Batman movies have evolved and feel so different than the ones before it because you do not get tired of them. The movie is different from The Dark Knight and Batman Begins because it is more grandoise and complex. There are several twists in The Dark Knight Rises that add a level of complexity that the previous two films did not have. That being said, The Dark Knight Rises is not better than The Dark Knight because of its muddled plot and rushed ending sequences.
    The muddled plot comes from the fact that Nolan relies to heavily on the ending sequences to explain earlier events. For some that is good enough, but I expect more from Nolan. Also certain events in the film seem over the top and in some cases there is no explanation for how they came to be. Especially, the French Revolution like court scenes. There are many other examples, but I do not want to spoil the movie. Despite these flaws, The Dark Knight Rises manages to keep you engaged because of the wonderful characters and the outstanding perfomances from the actors. The newcomers, Tom Hardy as Bane, Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle, Joseph Gordon Levit as John Blake, and Marion Cotillard as Miranda Tate are all wonderful additions that add compexity to the film and some wicked twists at the end. So overall I think the film is good and worth seeing, but not a masterpiece like The Dark Knight was.
  29. Aug 4, 2012
    Great movie, one that if you feel mixed about it you should definitely watch it again, completely different from The Dark Knight (which I've seen so many times), it's really a great way to end the trilogy and together this really does make a great trilogy, can't wait to watch all of the movies together in one sitting
  30. Aug 5, 2012
    Fantastic Movie, The Dark Knight Rises ends the saga on a high note. The action was over the top and Bane was more fearless and intimidating then the joker, It was nice to see that the hero wasn't invincible for once. Bane literally made Batman beg for his life, yes they could of killed him. but what fun would that be , it was nice to see a realistic movie and a superhero cliche film
  31. Sep 22, 2012
    Thanks to powerful performances, exciting action, and a thrilling script with one of the best endings every in a movie series, The Dark Knight Rises effectively and epically ends Christopher Nolan's masterful Dark Knight trilogy.
  32. Aug 1, 2012
    It's simple - "The Dark Knight Rises" is the best movie of the year. It beats "The Avengers" in every single aspect.---------------------------------
  33. Aug 8, 2012
    An absolutely brilliant film, a fantastic conclusion to a phenomenal revival of a franchise. The overall feel to the film was amazing, along with the score (thank you Hans Zimmer) the film had a mixed vibe of Begins and The Dark Knight which was a great thing. To those who are a Batman/ comic fanatic, this does it justice. Although there are minor plot holes in the film- the "major plotAn absolutely brilliant film, a fantastic conclusion to a phenomenal revival of a franchise. The overall feel to the film was amazing, along with the score (thank you Hans Zimmer) the film had a mixed vibe of Begins and The Dark Knight which was a great thing. To those who are a Batman/ comic fanatic, this does it justice. Although there are minor plot holes in the film- the "major plot holes" that many speak of are actually misconceptions as there were explanations regarding these plot holes but not in an obvious form because they needn't be- Plus He's the GOD DAMN BATMAN!!!! Expand
  34. Jul 21, 2012
    Another Nolan masterpiece. I love the Batman films and thankfully the last one didn't disappoint. 10/10. Bale comes back to reprise his role as Batman and as always does a fantastic job. Michael Caine is as brilliant as ever as is Gary Oldman, Ann Hathaway, Tom Hardy who did an awesome job as Bane and the entire cast. The start was a little slow but overall the film was fantastic and aAnother Nolan masterpiece. I love the Batman films and thankfully the last one didn't disappoint. 10/10. Bale comes back to reprise his role as Batman and as always does a fantastic job. Michael Caine is as brilliant as ever as is Gary Oldman, Ann Hathaway, Tom Hardy who did an awesome job as Bane and the entire cast. The start was a little slow but overall the film was fantastic and a great way to wrap it up, the ending was brilliant. I had always wanted to see an all out war in Gotham were the stakes seemed incredible high, thankfully this film delivered that with some great twists along the way. A strong plot, awesome cast and overall I was extremely impressed. Shame to see it end but least it has gone out on such a high. :) Expand
  35. Aug 4, 2012
    3 words. What a film. This is one of the best films i've ever seen and i'm serious. The suspense in the film was incredible and had loads of crime fighting action. Bane had to be my favourite character, he just had that grizzly tone in his voice that made you think that he sounds cheery and nice, but is so very evil. Overall, a great film and a must see.
  36. Nov 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Dark Knight Rises is absolutely amazing and, in my opinion, the movie of the year. Yes, that means I thought it was even better than The Avengers which, in and of itself was also incredible. Batman Begins is still my favorite superhero movie of all-time but this film matchs The Dark Knight if not surpassing it by a hair. I'm big on plot and character development so that's the only potential negative I can give the first Dark Knight. It felt more like an action based movie and got away a bit from the development of the Bruce Wayne character. Well, this movie returns to furthering the development of the protagonist to a very in-depth level. Of course it also had the amazing plot development, action sequences, and dark realism of the first two that made this trilogy as a whole the best set of films in superhero history.

I'm not going to lie, I had some concerns about this movie going in. The first concern was the selection of Tom Hardy and Anne Hathaway as Bane and Selena Kyle/Catwoman, respectively. Well, just like Heath Ledger, these surprising selections turned out to be perfect for how the characters were portrayed. As villains go, Heath Ledger's Joker is still the best villain in cinema history as far as I'm concerned but Tom Hardy's Bane comes incredibly close. The only negative I would say here is that there were a few scattered moments where his dialogue was fairly difficult to understand. I think they could've cleaned that up a bit more. Now Catwoman, WOW! I thought Anne Hathaway did an absolutely amazing job here. I honestly think she was by far the best catwoman yet and I don't think she could've done a better job. Kudos to Christopher Nolan once more for seeing what so many other people couldn't.

As I said before, the action sequences were stunning as usual. There's nothing new there. One thing I will say that I loved, as with the first two, is how realistic they manage to keep a lot of the fighting and action scenes. Along with the overall darker tone, the realism has really made this series more enjoyable than ever. The ultimate judge for this movie, though, is how well the plot unravels before your eyes. The first two movies each had pretty intriguing twists and turns that were somewhat unexpected but they don't touch this one in that regard. The discoveries of the Talia al Ghul and Robin characters, Bane's origin and purpose, Catwoman's development (in addition to Batman's as mentioned prior), and all of the tie-ins that round out the trilogy were incredible. Plus, the way the ending unfolds in truly remarkable and writing it here just wouldn't do it justice. I will say this though; I can't wait for the next one, if and when they make it :)
  37. Jul 31, 2012
    HEY EVERYBODY!. No spoilers. Yes, the story has many flaws, Yes, the character development could be better. Maybe, Nolan rushed the film a little bit. But hey, The Dark Knight Rises is still the epic conclusion. Enjoy every second of it.
  38. Aug 15, 2012
    'Rises' doesn't quite live up to the legacy of the film by which all superhero films are compared to (TDK) but delivers enough spectacle, emotional depth, epic scope to Nolan's Universe and brooding tone to define itself proudly as the operatic final chapter to a trilogy which masterfully leaped beyond the apparent boudaries of a comic-book film. Nolan's changed things - forever.
  39. Jul 26, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is probably the best movie I have ever seen. I felt like everything was done right to end this Batman trilogy. It was the most epic, and the most emotional Batman to date, and I couldn't have been happier with the acting, the characters, the music, special effects, and the action in this film. Bruce was more heroic in here than in any Batman film, and we see how humanThe Dark Knight Rises is probably the best movie I have ever seen. I felt like everything was done right to end this Batman trilogy. It was the most epic, and the most emotional Batman to date, and I couldn't have been happier with the acting, the characters, the music, special effects, and the action in this film. Bruce was more heroic in here than in any Batman film, and we see how human he really is so we connect to him more. Bane was an amazing villain, and actually really creepy. Hardy did a great job with using just his eyes, tone of voice, and body language. It's difficult to get the emotions and the point across with a mask on. He did perfectly. Anne as Selina Kyle was also a great addition to the movie, and she performed brilliantly. All the actors did well in this film, and the movie had a satisfying ending to Nolan's Batman trilogy. It is by far the best comic book movie ever created, and might be the best film ever created. With a smart, brilliant, emotional, heroic film like this, everyone should go to the theater to see it at least once. Maybe even twice. Watching this film opening night was the most fun I have had at the theaters. This is definitely a must see. Expand
  40. Aug 8, 2012
    It's very hard to find a flaw in this masterpiece. This final to The Dark Knight Trilogy feels much different than the other two. Even grimmer than it's predecessors at moments. The Dark Knight Rises has a stellar cast, every main role gets their fair share of screen time and every moment feels real. The action is top notch and what you'd expect from Nolan, and you won't see too many otherIt's very hard to find a flaw in this masterpiece. This final to The Dark Knight Trilogy feels much different than the other two. Even grimmer than it's predecessors at moments. The Dark Knight Rises has a stellar cast, every main role gets their fair share of screen time and every moment feels real. The action is top notch and what you'd expect from Nolan, and you won't see too many other films this year that have such a rich, deep, and fantastic story as TDKR. The master shots are beautiful, the characters are distinct and intriguing, the progression is swift and goes well, even if it's a little on the longer side. Still it's 2 hours and 45 minutes of the best story hollywood has to offer. It deserves an Oscar nomination I'd say, and easily reigns as the best film of the year, along with topping off the best film trilogy of all time. Expand
  41. Jul 20, 2012
    Dark Knight Rises was EPIC ! this is how you wrap up a trilogy. The film was intense and kept you invested all the way through.the character were well developed, believable and very well acted. The visual effects were stunning and complimented well by Zimmers rousing score. An almost 3 hour movie has never gone by so quickly for me and if there is a longer directors cut im buyingDark Knight Rises was EPIC ! this is how you wrap up a trilogy. The film was intense and kept you invested all the way through.the character were well developed, believable and very well acted. The visual effects were stunning and complimented well by Zimmers rousing score. An almost 3 hour movie has never gone by so quickly for me and if there is a longer directors cut im buying it day one. The Superman teaser looked cool too. I guess Nolan is just gonna revamp the entire DC universe which would be amazing. Expand
  42. Aug 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. F you all wannabe haters. Seriously , i've seen people giving low rates because they COULDN'T **** UNDERSTAND THE DAMN movie, seriously, if you're that dumb, go back to your The Iron Lady crappy sleepy overrated movie.
    That last movie was the conclusion i was hoping for, the music, the acting was perfect, the dialogues, they connected lots of points from the previous movies. **** when alfred told he had to quit, i almost cryied (friends nearby, couldn't) , right when you're starting to get a lil' bit bored, it goes and BAM! another **** amazing thing happens, not explosions and that, it's things that blow your mind, like when that freaking catwoman locked him against Bane.
    Now talking about Bane, his voice was pretty darn good, **** you wannabe haters saying that it looks like Darth Vader's, it was good.
    Seriously, it makes me mad people giving low grades, saying **** like "Oh, i couldn't understand it and i'm sure half of the people that watched also can't" or "It's only explosions and especial effects".
    To those retards i only say that: GO BACK TO YOUR STUPID BORING DOCUMMENTARY MOVIES, or back to that surprisingly bad, boring and annoying movie called The Iron Lady, or the King's Speech.
  43. Jul 25, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises has flaws, and it doesn't live up to the excitement of its predecessor. Yet, it has breathtaking action, dazzling visual effects, and is as emotionally powerful as the finale of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. It features incredible performances from Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotilliard, Michael Kane, and Tom Hardy who makes for a terrifying villain.The Dark Knight Rises has flaws, and it doesn't live up to the excitement of its predecessor. Yet, it has breathtaking action, dazzling visual effects, and is as emotionally powerful as the finale of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. It features incredible performances from Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotilliard, Michael Kane, and Tom Hardy who makes for a terrifying villain. With an amazing original score from Hans Zimmer and breathtaking,thrilling action; this makes for a satisfying and beautiful conclusion to one of the greatest trilogies ever put to film. I give this movie 98%. Expand
  44. Jul 24, 2012
    Christopher Nolan directs the third of his Batman Trilogy reuniting the series regulars and introducing others that worked with him on Inception. Nolan
  45. Jul 22, 2012
    TDKR was worth the wait and it met my ridiculously high standards. For starters, The Dark Knight is my favorite movie and what I consider to be an instant classic just four years after it's release. Also, Chris Nolan is my favorite director and he never disappoints me. That said, this delivers. The acting, action, cinematography, set designs, costumes, and music are all top notch, andTDKR was worth the wait and it met my ridiculously high standards. For starters, The Dark Knight is my favorite movie and what I consider to be an instant classic just four years after it's release. Also, Chris Nolan is my favorite director and he never disappoints me. That said, this delivers. The acting, action, cinematography, set designs, costumes, and music are all top notch, and will lead to at least 8 academy nominations come february. There are about 4 or 5 set pieces that are jaw-dropping. Bale and Caine give their best performances of the series and are the heart of the movie. New additions Hardy, Levitt, Hathaway, and Cortillard are all spectacular as you would expect. The main complaint this film has and will continue to receive is that it is "long" and "bloated". However, the long length and large number of characters gives it an epic and book-like feel. The film really takes its time in telling it's story, whereas some long movies start to rush to the end around the 2 hour mark. While there are a lot of things going on, the story is relatively simple and all of the characters have a good story arc that concludes in a great way. Ending a series is so hard because of the expectations fans build up, whether it is film, television, or books. But this film really does have an ending that should satisfy the majority of fans. This successfully earns the title of best trilogy of all time in my opinion with LOTR close behind. It is that good from beginning to end. Most of all, Nolan decided to take chances with this film when he could have played it too safe. Job well done by Nolan and company. Best Picture and Best Director nomination please. Expand
  46. Jul 23, 2012
    the more i think about this movie, the more i like it. seeing it once is just an introduction to the story and the characters. the journey REALLY starts on viewing number 2, where you can piece together everything that this movie is doing. All of the shades of grey it tries to paint.
  47. Jul 23, 2012
    After seeing the other brilliant films that Christopher Nolan has made, I knew that The Dark Knight Rises would be amazing. I knew it would be brilliant from the moment I found out that it was being made. But I never, ever anticipated the quality of this film.

I won't go into too much detail, but everything is perfect: the story, the effects, the acting...everything has been carefully considered and used to masterful effect.

The story is excellent, and culminates in one of the best, if not the best, film endings I've ever seen. Anne Hathaway is the perfect actress to portray Catwoman, and while Tom Hardy's performance doesn't match Heath Ledger's, it is nonetheless brilliant and his Bane is a very different villain from those previously seen in Batman films. It goes without saying that this intelligent, sinister Bane is hundreds of miles ahead of the stupid, emotionally soulless character featured in Joel Schumacher's....'Batman' film.

In conclusion, this is the greatest superhero film, let alone Batman film, ever created, and well up there with the all-time greatest films. This dark, exciting epic makes the recent Marvel films look silly and childish. Everyone should see this film, and will be celebrated by film critics and audiences alike as one of the greatest films ever made for years to come. A masterpiece.
  48. Jul 28, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is a surprisingly break-neck conclusion to Nolan's wistful Bat-trilogy, in that the bravado of the first two acts is largely overshadowed by the legacy that is (clears throat) THE BATMAN in his finest and final hour. While it's perfectly understandable that no one wants to see the Batman flutter into obscurity, least of all me, Christopher Nolan really has some ballsThe Dark Knight Rises is a surprisingly break-neck conclusion to Nolan's wistful Bat-trilogy, in that the bravado of the first two acts is largely overshadowed by the legacy that is (clears throat) THE BATMAN in his finest and final hour. While it's perfectly understandable that no one wants to see the Batman flutter into obscurity, least of all me, Christopher Nolan really has some balls for ending the vespertilian dream as no other would. I had the special joy of watching all three movies back-to-back, and I really think that fans of the series and the Batman universe alike who found this finale less than satisfactory might wish to consider taking a nice long walk in the opposite direction of the theatre instead of getting in line for something that they can't dignifiedly embrace. I look at The Dark Knight Rises, and I don't see the box-office behemoth of the summer or the cinematic main course of the year that ranters and ravers around the world are flocking to. I see the Dark Knight's bright conclusion, and that's really all that moviegoers ought to stomach. Flex your bat wings, moviegoers. Flex your bat wings. Collapse
  49. Jul 20, 2012
    There is no other super hero film quite like it! Not only is it realistic but it becomes something more art. Under analysis this film does extremely well with allusions to the french revolution among other things. Nolan creates a mood of over arching dread and depression in a way I feel like I've never seen before. As pure entertainment it thrills. As a piece of art it engages with it'sThere is no other super hero film quite like it! Not only is it realistic but it becomes something more art. Under analysis this film does extremely well with allusions to the french revolution among other things. Nolan creates a mood of over arching dread and depression in a way I feel like I've never seen before. As pure entertainment it thrills. As a piece of art it engages with it's numerous techniques that create a feeling of dread as well as being much deeper than that. Nolan may have made the best trilogy of all time. Recently I was extremely big on the amazing spider man but this film does everything it did and so much more. You will not see a better film this year! I guarantee it. Expand
  50. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is THE best Batman film I have ever seen, I did see this movie at the premier session after watching both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight and I thoroughly appreciated all the links and ties to both films especially to Batman Begins. This film does everything right a Batman film should, and other superhero films should aspire to be more like this film, with the storyThe Dark Knight Rises is THE best Batman film I have ever seen, I did see this movie at the premier session after watching both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight and I thoroughly appreciated all the links and ties to both films especially to Batman Begins. This film does everything right a Batman film should, and other superhero films should aspire to be more like this film, with the story being influenced by graphic novels The Dark Knight Returns, Knightfall and No Mans Land. Any keen Batman fan will enjoy all the references, cameos and characters in this film and it lived up to all my expectations, this is definitely the best film of the trilogy, any batman film and is one of my favourite films of all time. Expand
  51. Jul 22, 2012
    A powerhouse ending, beautiful story and thematic intensity make the final Dark Knight film a triumph. Nolan end his trilogy in grand fashion, taking heavy risks and succeeds in asking the audience to look at an apocalyptic threat to Gotham City. The film doesn't always have the crispness in dialogue, or tight packaging in the action sequences of its predecessors, but the emotionalA powerhouse ending, beautiful story and thematic intensity make the final Dark Knight film a triumph. Nolan end his trilogy in grand fashion, taking heavy risks and succeeds in asking the audience to look at an apocalyptic threat to Gotham City. The film doesn't always have the crispness in dialogue, or tight packaging in the action sequences of its predecessors, but the emotional investment is far greater with Bruce Wayne's willingness to sacrifice himself to save Gotham, finally paying dividends in unexpected ways. It is awesome in IMAX Expand
  52. Jul 22, 2012
    It's not the masterpiece its predecessor was, but TDKR succeeds in bringing Nolan's Bat trilogy to a satisfying close. When all three films are viewed in their entirety, it's hard to argue with it being one of the best cinematic trilogies in recent history. It's right up there with The Lord of the Rings and Toy Story. Consistently excellent... it's well acted and engaging from start toIt's not the masterpiece its predecessor was, but TDKR succeeds in bringing Nolan's Bat trilogy to a satisfying close. When all three films are viewed in their entirety, it's hard to argue with it being one of the best cinematic trilogies in recent history. It's right up there with The Lord of the Rings and Toy Story. Consistently excellent... it's well acted and engaging from start to finish. Onwards to Man of Steel! Expand
  53. Jul 21, 2012
    Do not let the negative reviews fool you into thinking that this film is a disaster because it isn't! I'm giving this review in an unbiased manner. My highly conservative-fantasy movie-hating dad actually liked it! Trust me that says a lot! My dad hates superhero/sci-fi/fantasy movies. Nolan gives us a bit of everything. He gives us action, drama, romance, and horror. You never know whereDo not let the negative reviews fool you into thinking that this film is a disaster because it isn't! I'm giving this review in an unbiased manner. My highly conservative-fantasy movie-hating dad actually liked it! Trust me that says a lot! My dad hates superhero/sci-fi/fantasy movies. Nolan gives us a bit of everything. He gives us action, drama, romance, and horror. You never know where the movie is going to go next. If you get into it and let yourself be taken over, it will be worth it. Bane and the Joker are 2 different villains. The Joker was more about uncontrolled chaos and anarchy while Bane is more about planned destruction with a purpose. Both villains are great. Batman (Bruce Wayne's) story is exciting. You're going to find yourself actually cheering for him as if you were at a boxing match. Watch me...do yourself this favor, it is all worth it. Expand
  54. Jul 20, 2012
    i would honestly admit this movie isnt entertaining as the dark knight. but it is the perfect ending for the whole trilogy. It basically sums up the whole trilogy. The movie is sheer calibre. As usual the cast were excellent combined with a good storyline. I was a bit disappointed at the fact the character John Blake had so much screen time because this is a movie of batman and brucei would honestly admit this movie isnt entertaining as the dark knight. but it is the perfect ending for the whole trilogy. It basically sums up the whole trilogy. The movie is sheer calibre. As usual the cast were excellent combined with a good storyline. I was a bit disappointed at the fact the character John Blake had so much screen time because this is a movie of batman and bruce wayne. i believe they should showed more of batman n bruce wayne. anne hathaway did an interesting take on catwoman. really good. same as the brute, bane. honestly i think no director could have directed this movie and top this. people will look back n realise this whole trilogy as a benchmark besides the obvious lord of the rings but the thing is lord of the rings is already scripted, all they do is follow the book so its not fair to compare. Anyway,the movie never cease to amaze. i dont like blockbuster movies but this is fantastic. really gutted to see the trilogy of my favourite superhero ends. and for those people comparing this to avengers......c'mon thats child play compared to this. its emotionally engaging, has a human touch and story in it and its filled with action. what else do you need? Expand
  55. Jul 20, 2012
    It's difficult to try and make a follow up to Probably the best batman film of all time due to an insanely good performance by Heath Ledger, but all that's over now and batman has to face what he had feared since The beginning. Anne Hathaway was the biggest surprise. She played an older more mischievous cat woman slash love interest that's what made the old 60s show such a big hit.It's difficult to try and make a follow up to Probably the best batman film of all time due to an insanely good performance by Heath Ledger, but all that's over now and batman has to face what he had feared since The beginning. Anne Hathaway was the biggest surprise. She played an older more mischievous cat woman slash love interest that's what made the old 60s show such a big hit. There's always that rebellious chemistry between batman and her and that rottenly hot cat woman personality was lost for over 40 years. Naysayers will be astonished and fulfilled. Bain on the other hand is quite medium. There's nothing special about him. He's playing the role of a guinea pig. He doesn't fit the Bain I've really ever seen, but that's not a bad thing. He's a good choice for a trilogy closer. If you ask if Tom Hardy did a good job? His voice was dubbed (which wasn't too great) and you never get to see his face. For all you know it could be 3 different people playing the role, which I'm sure there was at least one stunt double who should get as much credit as Tom Hardy and have his name on the poster too. Ultimately the film was a great closer and with the exception of Bain flaws (dialog and unnecessary scenes) is one of the best movies this year. Expand
  56. Jul 21, 2012
    I feel sorry for the unemotional moron's that can't see where this movie is coming from. I sat there in the theater locked to my seat, and when the entire auditorium started getting tears, none of us stopped getting them until the very end. Half of the people I heard coming out of the theater each said they didn't expect this to be an emotional movie, but I don't think anyone questionedI feel sorry for the unemotional moron's that can't see where this movie is coming from. I sat there in the theater locked to my seat, and when the entire auditorium started getting tears, none of us stopped getting them until the very end. Half of the people I heard coming out of the theater each said they didn't expect this to be an emotional movie, but I don't think anyone questioned the power that this third installment had on them. The Dark Knight, no offense to Heath Ledger's memory pales in comparison to this startling epic finale. People with out a heart will complain this movie was too boring, the other half will complain there weren't enough plot points. Those out there with a balance will come away questioning whether or not they'd ever have what it takes to give all of yourself to a cause. The Dark Knight is quite literally a joke in contrast to Rises. While the Joker's "shock scene's" may have gripped your attention for the moment, Rises will keep you questioning yourself for hours after. Special effects are top notch, Bale stops trying too hard, and the supporting cast shows that even a man without a face can be a hero to somebody. We could speculate over which masked character i'm talking about, but i'll leave that for you to decide. Expand
  57. Jul 23, 2012
    One of the best endings to a trilogy in history, the first film was more like a horror, the second; crime, the third; epic. And that's exactly what the film is; epic. The set pieces are phenomenal, all the gadgets and car chases will have you excited and on the edge of your seat, plus the story is pure genius. Unlike the others, this story has a massive scope, and I wont give away what itOne of the best endings to a trilogy in history, the first film was more like a horror, the second; crime, the third; epic. And that's exactly what the film is; epic. The set pieces are phenomenal, all the gadgets and car chases will have you excited and on the edge of your seat, plus the story is pure genius. Unlike the others, this story has a massive scope, and I wont give away what it is, but unlike The Dark Knight, its massive. Bane provides a fitting villain, he's for one pretty scary and two a perfect choice for the film, his brute strength and brilliant mind provides Batman with one of his toughest villains. Tom Hardy is also very good in the role, obviously he cannot beat Heath Ledger as The Joker, but Hardy portrays Bane as sinister and an uncaring almost beast. As mentioned unlike the first two films in Nolans trilogy, this time he creates a film that you will enjoy more and more upon multiple villain, for there are so few slow scenes, the whole films is high tension and fast paced, and the budget must of inflated from the first, for if anyone has seen he trailer think that's it, believe me it not. Anne Hathaway is arguably the best Catwoman yet, she is a real femme fatale and is not the sexy Michelle Pfeiffer, but a Catwoman we really care for and can't wait to see, any of her fight scenes are almost better than Batman himself, but she fits so well in this film. She provides a sort of narrative device for the film, and if not for her other scnes would not occur. Her sub plot also fits very well, and we want to see her achieve it, and I'm so glad they put Hathaway in the final film and no other. There is obvious flaws in the film, especially where some scenes feel as if they are treading the same ground as Batman Begins, but this is only because The Dark Knight was so different to the original, but Dark Knight Rises is very different for as I mentioned this is simply an action-war-epic. And even if the middle is slower compared to the beginning and phenomenal end, the end and beginning make up for it, and the middle is still superb cinema! Something else many argue is the use of too many characters, but they really do fit, and Gordon Levitt works well as Blake, and Cotillard may seem pointless for a majority of the film, but by the end becomes a key character. Yes, there are too many characters for a final film where there should be fewer but they all get a character development. This truly is a perfect finale for one of the best trilogies of all time, and the only reason people are complaining is because the bar was set so high by The Dark Knight, but this truly is a wonderful, magnificent film full of twists and turns and a perfect, fitting ending that you will not forget. Expand
  58. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark night rises is a amazing academy award best picture this saga is the best in the history, bigger a and better , the lords of the rings is a litle saga stupid, not realistic, the dark night rises is a wonderfull movie in the history love film in my life , thanks you cristopher nolan thanks you master
  59. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is the single greatest movie I have ever seen. It is amazingly well written and has many surprising twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat. I haven't walked away from a movie feeling that good since 2005 and Revenge of The Sith. Batman may not be in it as much as I'd like but the superb quality of the movie makes that more than acceptable. A must seeThe Dark Knight Rises is the single greatest movie I have ever seen. It is amazingly well written and has many surprising twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat. I haven't walked away from a movie feeling that good since 2005 and Revenge of The Sith. Batman may not be in it as much as I'd like but the superb quality of the movie makes that more than acceptable. A must see for anyone who likes to be entertained or wants to see an epic movie. Expand
  60. Jul 20, 2012
    This is the best batman movie so far. It was so descriptive with so much details. It is not often that I sit for 3 hrs to watch a movie with so much involvement. The best part of the movie was the rise of crime. I found all my childhood imaginations reading batman comics on a big screen. It is a real great experience to watch Christopher Nolan's movie. My respect for his talent is fosteredThis is the best batman movie so far. It was so descriptive with so much details. It is not often that I sit for 3 hrs to watch a movie with so much involvement. The best part of the movie was the rise of crime. I found all my childhood imaginations reading batman comics on a big screen. It is a real great experience to watch Christopher Nolan's movie. My respect for his talent is fostered by another great work. I highly recommend people to watch this movie. Expand
  61. Jul 20, 2012
    This is the Best Movie Ever Made, Best Trilogy in history. It is Epic, Jaws Dropping, Spectacular, Brilliant Masterpiece from Mr. Christopher Nolan!!! I Want See It Again And Again!
  62. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is an opus of a much different flavor than the previous installments in The Dark Knight Trilogy. Uniting the atmospheric tone of Begins and the noir, crime saga execution of TDK, Rises sets forth to entertain the audience while developing Bruce Wayne's story into an arc of considerable emotional progression, and ultimately delivers one of the best endings to a trilogyThe Dark Knight Rises is an opus of a much different flavor than the previous installments in The Dark Knight Trilogy. Uniting the atmospheric tone of Begins and the noir, crime saga execution of TDK, Rises sets forth to entertain the audience while developing Bruce Wayne's story into an arc of considerable emotional progression, and ultimately delivers one of the best endings to a trilogy in cinema history. The focus in this outing is on Bruce Wayne. The Dark Knight was a Batman movie in every sense, where as The Dark Knight Rises can be accurately described as a Bruce Wayne story. The man behind the mask coming out of retirement to face villains the likes of which he has never experienced. Bruce's personal life and trials as a newly motivated Batman coalesce into obstacles that bring out the most human sides of him. Anger, stubbornness, hope and raw determination seep out of the character, and belie the ambiguity behind the symbol of the Batman. When Bruce is wearing the mask, it feels like Bruce Wayne wearing a mask. Doing a job. A civic duty that serves as the only thing he knows will give him purpose. Batman becomes a human being, and yet the symbol grows stronger because of it. I'll stop here to avoid spoiling anything.

As far as the surrounding cast goes: Bane is the most dangerous villain in the trilogy. He's an absolute menace. He's shameless, efficient, brave and extremely good at wrecking things. His presence is electrifying. Alfred is dishing out his usual wisdom, but we see a side of him we haven't seen yet and it's beautiful. John Blake is too easy to root for. A pure hearted, inspired cop who earns his stripes in more ways than one. Gordon is a relentless warrior who shows a good old fashioned hands dirty approach to everything. A man out of place in this new Gotham, who's old style becomes necessary to bring it back from the brink, and Catwoman is a dazzling, sexy, antihero whose character development is as smooth as Bruce Wayne's. She's an absolute tour de force in this film, and one of the best characters in Nolan's Batman Universe.

This review means only to set up the expectations of tone for The Dark Knight Rises, and to excite viewers who are looking forward to seeing it. It's a masterpiece. Arguably the best Batman film ever made, and a beautiful ending to a trilogy that has set a new standard in cinema.
  63. Jul 20, 2012
    I have Watched this Movie Twice on the day of its Release that too Back to Back Shows...... After Watching this Amazing Film,I can Say Only Five Words...... Fantastic,Marvelous,Great,Epic,Awesome.....
    Christian Bale has given Best Performance As Bruce Wayne/Batman as Usual. Bane was Horrible in the film.Gary Oldman,Morgan Freeman were Nice While Anne Hathaway did a great Job... All The Credit goes to the Director Legend Christopher Nolan....Batman Entry was too good.Effects and Music were Great... Not One Everything is Perfect....It has Sensational Climax with an Epic Ending.... I Want to See it again.... Dont Miss This Movie Guys....... The Dark Knight Rises Rocks........
  64. Jul 21, 2012
    I wanna start by saying even though about 85% of the reviews are more then positive, i can't understand what the other 15% are talking about, from a writing stand point this is the best trilogy... ever, period, bar none, as for this movie, if you like a great story with twists and turns, some you can see coming and others you didn't expect, solid acting and above all else if your a batmanI wanna start by saying even though about 85% of the reviews are more then positive, i can't understand what the other 15% are talking about, from a writing stand point this is the best trilogy... ever, period, bar none, as for this movie, if you like a great story with twists and turns, some you can see coming and others you didn't expect, solid acting and above all else if your a batman fan you can't not love this movie, without giving spoilers away... seeing how batman begins starts and what bruce waynes intention was, the dark knight rises ends in a perfect way, he lives up to his goal and if you ask me thats how to end a trilogy, for those who complain its to slow paced and it feels like a cop movie that might be true if your under the age of 13... for those people... watch the crap burton movies with no plot, no investment in the characters or any kind of structure with none stop action, go watch that crap, for those with taste, class and know a good story it gets no better then this... i give the dark knight rises a 15 out of 10... yea its that good. Expand
  65. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw this film midnight on July 19th as part of the Dark Knight marathon, showing all three films in a row. I can honestly say this made the experience even better because it let me in on the fact that the Dark Knight trilogy is the "Star Wars" trilogy of this generation. In my eyes, a trilogy should end with no more questions, everything answered and wrapped up, with only your imagination with "what happened" next when it's all said and done, and this trilogy did just that. I only wish that the Hollywood system would produce more stories like this onto the thousands of screens across the world. Time to break down my favorite aspects of the Dark Knight Rises film. First off, the ending. Batman (Christian Bale) latches onto a nuke and starts up The Bat to take it out of Gotham before it blows, but before he does, he gives a small hint to Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman) that reveals just who Batman is to Jim, who says to himself in a chilling moment "Bruce Wayne?". Then, as Batman has the bomb safely away from the city, it blows up. In such an emotional moment of the film, you can't help by get that feeling in your throat as the Dark Knight sacrifices himself to save the city that was almost doomed. That feeling becomes stronger as Alfred (Michael Caine) stands over the grave of Bruce Wayne, and weaps. Almost in tears with what happens, your heart begins to beat a bit faster when Jim Gorden discovers a new Bat signal, as you get a small bit of confusion, a feeling takes over you...that feeling is Hope. Alfred sits down in a cafe in Italy, the same as the dream he explained earlier in the film, and looks up and smiles, you know exactly what's coming next and you cannot help but smile as it reveals Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle, happy as can be. I had cold chills throughout this ending and I couldn't control the emotion driving through my body. There could not have been a better ending to this film. Film is all about feeling something, and being almost in tears for a sad reason one minute, and then smiling and crying like a small child the next, is an indescribably feeling. It will be a long time until I feel this about a film again. Michael Caine needs to be recognized for this film. Alfred has a larger role in this film that he has in any other of the films, and it's incredible to watch. Alfred has always been the one and only person that can stand up to Bruce/Batman and get away with it. He's the voice of reason throughout the series, and the caring father figure that Bruce needed. In this film, Alfred reaches a new low in his life, having a heavy fear that Bruce will become Batman again, and end up in a grave, leaving Alfred completely alone and taking away the last person he cares about. Caine was the stand out emotional performance in this film, and when Alfred leaves Bruce in the middle of the film, an emptiness is felt until you see the familiar face again. It's been reported that Christian Bale told Christopher Nolan that he would be Batman, as long as Robin wasn't in the films. I agreed with this because it would have taken away from the main story of Bruce Wayne/Batman in the films. Or so I thought. John Blake (Joseph Gorden-Levitt) is a Gotham cop, who knows the identity of Batman and gives Bruce Wayne the push to come back. He also helps in the fight against Bane's army to save Gotham. In short, the John Blake character was a very rewarding character. But the most interesting and awesome information about John Blake is revealed in the last moments of the film, when it's revealed his legal name is Robin John Blake. I didn't think a Robin could be done right in a "real" and "gritty" film series like the Dark Knight trilogy, but I was wrong. Alright, so I'm running out of characters in this review so this is going to be a speed round of what else I liked about the film. Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle was great. Many people thought she was a poor choice for the character, but it's done so well and she brought it to life. Bane is also such a physical force on screen. What Tom Hardy is able to do with limited facial expressions is phenomenal, especially when tears fall from his eyes when it's revealed he was a protector of Talia Al Ghul. The cameo appearance of Cillian Murphy as Scarecrow was subtle but perfect. It was such a nice little touch to a film that wrapped up the full story of Batman Begins. My hat if off to you Mr. Nolan. You were able to bring the art of story telling to a new height in a system that seems to forget about it way too often. I'm excited to see what is next in the Nolan film world. I'll always remember the first time I saw this film, the last film, and the first film. This was and is the perfect trilogy. Thank you to those who told this amazing story Expand
  66. Jul 25, 2012
    Anyone who has seen this movie once n felt bored n overstuffed needs to watch it 2nd time. U gonna luv it, i tell u coz the first time it feels like listening to 5 hours long lecture of ur teacher at college covering upto 3 long chapters. As u watch it the 2nd time or the 3rd, u will be very familiar with the small characters n ur mind wont be diverted frm the emotions n action spectaclesAnyone who has seen this movie once n felt bored n overstuffed needs to watch it 2nd time. U gonna luv it, i tell u coz the first time it feels like listening to 5 hours long lecture of ur teacher at college covering upto 3 long chapters. As u watch it the 2nd time or the 3rd, u will be very familiar with the small characters n ur mind wont be diverted frm the emotions n action spectacles n most importantly the central story coz u will know how they r gonna wind up dead or disappear frm the movie. yeah too much muchness has cost this movie many negative reviews even frm diehard Nolan fans but i tell u when u watch it 2nd time, everything u dislike about this movie calling it boring will be substantially reduced. IT is the movie whre Nolan isnt only interested in character of Bruce/ Batman but also on other characters of Gotham like kids, prisoners, oppertunists, rich fortuners, dutiful cops, terrrorists, newcomers in Gotham n many many more. All these characters build up Gotham city i.e 12 million other people xcept Bruce Wayne. Nolan's intention of picturizing all the lives of people residing in Gotham City in this huge canvass of epic movie comes with a little bit price like overlong, boring n maybe even bloated coz the uninteresting portions will occupy ur mind n may even sideline the interesting portions like actions or raw emotions coz u know the better parts are there in the movie but you cant remember where. But if u watch it 2nd time u already know there r this unteresting portions or characters n hence u can focus more on the interesting ones. This movie is epic, grandest n most spectacular movie of this summer but it is also something that tests your focus, attention and patience. If u succeed in your test, the outcome is the most rewarding one you have ever received with the grand climax n the perfect ending.

Even Bane made me emotional. I dont think he is wasted at all. Before his death, he surely has his moments. Marion Cotillard is even great too. Anne Hathaway is stunning as Selina Kyle. Though a cat burgler she has her emotional side. U can see her sad facial expression and even tears during some moments in her eyes. The best performance goes to Michael Caine. Though his role is short, he gives u the necessary emotion to carryout in the movie. Christian Bale is better than the last, looked to me on par with that of Batman begins as Bruce Wayne. Joseph Gordon Levitt is pretty good. He is the most optimistic character of the movie. Action scenes r stunning especially the football stadium one. The ending is brilliant though i dont think even now Batman really lives. I think Chris hasnt made it clear he lives or not. The ending doesnt give clear answer. Its just the indication that Christopher Nolan n Christian Bale will be no more in Batman franchise.
    If u dont love this movie, then dont go to theatre to see movie again. IT just ask u for ur little patience(maybe more), focus n attention and as i said the reward will be truimph victory for you.
    A piece of advice- i found staying at the front seat as possible than at the back more enjoyable in the theatre as it enriched my viewing experience n i also had more focus/ attention and hence it didnt felt boring at all the 2nd time i watched it like the 1st time. I also have heard from some of my freinds that if u watch it more, the more u will love it. Its like a feast that u cant eat n digest at once. U will need repeated visits to fully absorb and enjoy all the stuffs in the movie when everything makes perfect sense.
  67. Jul 29, 2012
    After four years of waiting, the anticipation for The Dark Knight Rises was massive. It seemed almost an impossibility to be able to equal or greater it's predecessor. Early reviews from critics appeared to confirm my fear that it could not rise to the heights reached by The Dark Knight, but nevertheless I was present on opening day. Over the last nine days I have watched the movie threeAfter four years of waiting, the anticipation for The Dark Knight Rises was massive. It seemed almost an impossibility to be able to equal or greater it's predecessor. Early reviews from critics appeared to confirm my fear that it could not rise to the heights reached by The Dark Knight, but nevertheless I was present on opening day. Over the last nine days I have watched the movie three times and I have no hesitation in saying that it is the best superhero movie I've ever seen and one of the greatest films ever made. While TDKR may lack the presence of a character as engrossing as the Joker, the acting of Tom Hardy as Bane and Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle was excellent. This is also the best performance from Christian Bale as Batman. While TDK may have been all about the Joker, TDKR is all about Batman and the completion of his journey. TDKR definitely has the most semblance of a comic book world compared to the previous films and seeing Batman and Selina flying over Gotham in the Bat on a foggy night really visualizes this feeling. The story, which has a great mythology surrounding Bane's character and Batman's fall and ultimate rise, ties in nicely with the first movie and builds to a sensational climax and brilliant conclusion with a few surprises. The Dark Knight Rises higher than I possibly could have imagined. Go watch it. And then go watch it again. Expand
  68. Jul 31, 2012
    The best superhero trilogy ever!Thank you Christopher Nolan.You know how to make movies and that is seen in the last part of The Dark Knight,The Dark Knight Rises.It brings stuff from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight movies and concludes everything so perfect,even though some of you didn't liked the previous movie,you will surely like this one more,because of it's intense actionThe best superhero trilogy ever!Thank you Christopher Nolan.You know how to make movies and that is seen in the last part of The Dark Knight,The Dark Knight Rises.It brings stuff from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight movies and concludes everything so perfect,even though some of you didn't liked the previous movie,you will surely like this one more,because of it's intense action scenes.For the ones who liked the last movie there is still this great character development and slow paced story.Like the last two movies The Dark Knight Rises feels realistic in almost every aspect even though it's a superhero movie.It began,it went dark and it Rose to end in an EPIC scale! Expand
  69. Jul 22, 2012
    Nolan wraps up his trilogy in a satisfying way, despite some glaring thematic issues. The film's production values were predictably outstanding and especially stunning in (real) IMAX. But I thought most of the anti-government/wall street/1% percent rhetoric fell flat. It just seemed clumsy and not fully realized. That being said, the film is wildly entertaining and a mostly worthyNolan wraps up his trilogy in a satisfying way, despite some glaring thematic issues. The film's production values were predictably outstanding and especially stunning in (real) IMAX. But I thought most of the anti-government/wall street/1% percent rhetoric fell flat. It just seemed clumsy and not fully realized. That being said, the film is wildly entertaining and a mostly worthy conclusion to the trilogy. Expand
  70. Aug 9, 2012
    Although it seems tantamount to treason to do so, I'll go out on a limb and say that The Dark Knight Rises is the best bat-flick yet. Begins and Knight were fine movies but both lacked a truly killer action sequence. Rises fixes that problem and has a whole slew of amazing action scenes, both vehicular and hand-to-hand. The story, whilst not as clever as Knight's, still packs the usualAlthough it seems tantamount to treason to do so, I'll go out on a limb and say that The Dark Knight Rises is the best bat-flick yet. Begins and Knight were fine movies but both lacked a truly killer action sequence. Rises fixes that problem and has a whole slew of amazing action scenes, both vehicular and hand-to-hand. The story, whilst not as clever as Knight's, still packs the usual Nolan punch and the emotions run higher than ever as the movie unfolds. Ultimately, The Dark Knight Rises ends Nolan's Batman trilogy on a high note and secures his franchise a spot in the archives of the all time greats. Expand
  71. Aug 8, 2012
    Not as good as the first batman, much less the second Batman it is a testament to Nolan that this film is so highly criticized but would be still the best Batman film in existence if the other two didn't exist (and yes, I've seen almost every Batman film in existence, including animated ones). A great satisfactory conclusion to the trilogy and a fitting sendoff.
  72. Aug 2, 2012
    The problem with sequels of any sort is that an amazing amount of pressure is put on the crew to produce something better than the previous. No one will be able to display such marvelous madness than Heath Ledger did in the Dark Knight, and so Bane was a good move by Nolan to implement a different kind of villain into the movie, with a brilliant performance from Tom Hardy. Whilst the plotThe problem with sequels of any sort is that an amazing amount of pressure is put on the crew to produce something better than the previous. No one will be able to display such marvelous madness than Heath Ledger did in the Dark Knight, and so Bane was a good move by Nolan to implement a different kind of villain into the movie, with a brilliant performance from Tom Hardy. Whilst the plot wasn't as well written as the Dark Knight, it was on a par with Batman Begins and was clever with interesting, though sadly foreseeable twists. However this movie was still amazing to watch with beautiful visuals and a good amount of action. Expand
  73. Jul 24, 2012
    Great stuff. I certainly couldn't think of a better way to finish a trilogy, which is a very hard thing to do. Epic story, good acting and production. Something as big as this can't help but attract negativity, but please be assured that it is a great effort. And remember, this is modern myth-making! These stories are our morality plays, our tales of gods and monsters. Please don't look atGreat stuff. I certainly couldn't think of a better way to finish a trilogy, which is a very hard thing to do. Epic story, good acting and production. Something as big as this can't help but attract negativity, but please be assured that it is a great effort. And remember, this is modern myth-making! These stories are our morality plays, our tales of gods and monsters. Please don't look at it as just a crime thriller or you will find implausibility! And Anne Hathaway. If I had any, I'd change my religious beliefs Expand
  74. Jul 30, 2012
    I heard from every critic I follow that the movie was good, but not great, and I must say that I disagree with those critics. all the plot inconsistencies they found, I did not. the movie has a kick-ass final act, and although Bane is not the Joker, I think he's still a scary and interesting villain.
  75. Jul 30, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises concludes Christopher Nolan's batman trilogy and is indeed one of the best superhero movies to be made in 2012. Rivaling even the great Avengers movie, TDKR provides closure to a series that is rightfully deserves. Surely you will not be disappointed with the storyline, music, atmosphere and the way some of the characters from the first two were depicted. You will notThe Dark Knight Rises concludes Christopher Nolan's batman trilogy and is indeed one of the best superhero movies to be made in 2012. Rivaling even the great Avengers movie, TDKR provides closure to a series that is rightfully deserves. Surely you will not be disappointed with the storyline, music, atmosphere and the way some of the characters from the first two were depicted. You will not regret the choice of watching this movie as this movie provides a similar storyline progression as Batman begins but provides the action sequences and structure of TDK. Expand
  76. Jul 29, 2012
    Du début à la fin, ce film est tout simplement excellent. Pas un seul temps mort, les acteurs sont brillants, la bande originale est magnifique. Le seul bémol concerne le doublage de Marion Cotillard en français, qu'elle effectue elle-même. Ce n'est pas sa spécialité, ça lui donne une voix nasillarde, il aurait été plusDu début à la fin, ce film est tout simplement excellent. Pas un seul temps mort, les acteurs sont brillants, la bande originale est magnifique. Le seul bémol concerne le doublage de Marion Cotillard en français, qu'elle effectue elle-même. Ce n'est pas sa spécialité, ça lui donne une voix nasillarde, il aurait été plus intelligent de laisser une doubleuse professionnelle le faire. Mais ça n'entache en rien ce film. Un must-have ! Expand
  77. Aug 1, 2012
    To put it simply, Nolan masterfully concluded the story arc he began in Batman Begins. I found the acting to be 100% top notch and the score and camera work are as impeccable as always. The plot has some great twists and I left the theater with a smile on my face. Great movie!
  78. Jul 21, 2012
    Great film from start to finish. Fitting ending to a awesome superhero trilogy. All the actors stepped up and really delivered a great performance. Wish it wasn't the last one, but like all things, it must come to an end.
  79. Sep 2, 2012
    The plot of the film is not very complex but is the way in which it was structured that makes the whole magnificent. I loved how they were treated the characters and each plays a primary role in the film (including Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who I thought he would have a marginal role but ...). They talked about all the characters without skipping one. Fantastic as always Christian Bale,The plot of the film is not very complex but is the way in which it was structured that makes the whole magnificent. I loved how they were treated the characters and each plays a primary role in the film (including Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who I thought he would have a marginal role but ...). They talked about all the characters without skipping one. Fantastic as always Christian Bale, Michael Cayne (including I loved their relation as if they were their own family), Gary Oldam and all the actors of the original cast. Of the new entries I absolutely adored Anne Hathaway in the role of Selina Kyle where it was very good and I have to say maybe even better than Michelle Pfeiffer. Then Tom Hardy who plays Bane was formidable. Him, because of the mask, had to play with eyes and it was fabulous. In his eyes he read the intelligence of Bane (not like Batman and Robin) and looking at him he seemed to be always thinking of a strategy. Wonderful action scenes that, with marvelous special effects, leaves the audience speechless. The other things that surprised me were all the metaphors used in the film that you can not help but see and I liked a lot. I must say that some hole in the script there but nothing that bothers. One thing that some said is that in the film the time passed too quickly, which is not true because if you listen to the movie you can see how time has passed and you realize that there was a time jump to the plot. So for me the film is truly a masterpiece and would recommend to everyone, fan or not, going to see it because it's worth it. Expand
  80. Jul 28, 2012
    I went into the movie well aware of some of the criticisms that people had, and honestly... I just don't agree with them. I loved the movie, and I came out of the theater very satisfied with what Nolan has done with this Batman trilogy. TDKR really takes the Batman story full circle - it's plot really keys off of the events of Batman Begins (and TDK to a minor extent).

I don't really

I don't really understand a lot of the negative reactions. For example, a lot of people seem to dislike Bane in this movie. I thought he was wonderfully memorable - sure, he never quite captured the terrifying presence that Ledger's Joker did, but did anyone really expect him too? Ledger's performance was one of a kind. Considering that Hardy had to try and follow up his brilliance, I commend him for making Bane quite memorable in his own way. (I also had no problems understanding what he was saying).

Hathaway does a great job as Catwoman as well, all those who berated Nolan for casting her should be ashamed that they failed to trust him yet again.

I also don't understand why people complained that the villains had "no motivation". While normally I understand this criticism very well, I don't understand it in context of the movie. I understood what Bane was doing and why, and when the big plot twist (you'll know what I'm talking about if you've seen it) came along, I understood the motivations even better. Suffice it to say, if you understood the motivations of the villains of the first Batman film, then you'll understand those of this film - because they are THE SAME.

At 2 hours and 45 minutes, the move is definitely long - I can understand some of the complaints there. But for my part, I never felt that it collapsed under it's own weight as many said it did. The story is not as singularly focused as TDK's was - there's a lot of different things going on here more than just the Joker. Nolan is trying to resolve not only the issues brought up in this movie, but also trying to bring the entire trilogy to a close. As I said, the movie has a LOT of tiebacks to the first Batman film, and Nolan really brings the entire trilogy full circle. Obviously, he's going to have to take a lot more time to do so. In my opinion, he manages to keep events interesting and the plot moving - there's never a point where you think "ok, let's have something happen." Things are happening the entire movie. Nolan's action scenes, as always, are exciting. He understands that it's important to be able to follow what's happening - no shaky camera crap, and no blurry, lightspeed, can't see what's going on CG.

There was some criticism also about the political undertones of the movie - specifically those that took aim at socialism and the Occupy Wall Street movement. It is there, but it never really overshadows the movie. This movie is most definitely about Batman/Bruce Wayne and his journey. I don't know if people got rankled because they identify with the OWS movement (or with socialism), and didn't appreciate what they thought the movie was trying to say (honestly I'm not sure if the movie really took a stance, because ultimately Bane's goals have nothing to do with an OWS-like movement). I don't know why people would be offended by a movie that shows mobs trashing a city and dispensing it's "justice" upon people simply because they have move than they do, as wrong. Because it is wrong, and if Nolan really was trying to put a little message in there, then I applaud him for criticizing the "99%" mentality, because he shows what that mentality turns into when taken to the extreme. But like I said - the movie really ultimately isn't about that.

I could write a lot more, but I think I covered most of what I felt about the criticism. I see a potential for people to dislike some of the twists and wrinkles of the ending, but, I guess that's just up to personal taste. Personally, I loved the implications of the last 10 minutes of the movie. (hopefully they don't make a sequel and ruin it) Overall, ti was a fantastic and memorable way to end what has been one of the best trilogies I've had the pleasure to see. Certainly will be one of my favorites for a long time.
  81. Jul 28, 2012
    Epic and elegant end of this great saga composed by Christopher Nolan. Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard stand out with their great performances. As for the story I like the concept of "Saving a city not worth saving."
  82. Sep 3, 2012
    This is NOT a cinematographic legend or a myth. All the same, it is a great conclusion of a wonderful trilogy with all the Nolanesque style we're used to (deep characters, good photography, memorable script). I enjoyed it a lot and surely will watch it again. However, I was a bit disappointed by Marion Cotillard's character and her performance, as well as by some minor elements (finalThis is NOT a cinematographic legend or a myth. All the same, it is a great conclusion of a wonderful trilogy with all the Nolanesque style we're used to (deep characters, good photography, memorable script). I enjoyed it a lot and surely will watch it again. However, I was a bit disappointed by Marion Cotillard's character and her performance, as well as by some minor elements (final scenes, a bit of cliches in Zimmer's music that resemble Inception). Michael Caine FTW! Expand
  83. Sep 4, 2012
    What can I say. One of THE best superhero films out there, and most definitely a definitive way to end a brilliant trilogy. Can't recommend it more. Fight sequences were great if unflinching, and the story had many inventive twists to it. The dark Knight Rises ever higher.
  84. Jul 29, 2012
    A-M-A-Z-I-N-G Are the exact words to describe this film, I have reviewed many other films, but this is the first time I have ever given a ten score for a film. I was excited for this film, until I saw that Anne Hathaway was going to play catwoman (who is my favorite super hero/antihero of ll time). Although she one of my favorite actresses , I just didn't think she fit the role, but when IA-M-A-Z-I-N-G Are the exact words to describe this film, I have reviewed many other films, but this is the first time I have ever given a ten score for a film. I was excited for this film, until I saw that Anne Hathaway was going to play catwoman (who is my favorite super hero/antihero of ll time). Although she one of my favorite actresses , I just didn't think she fit the role, but when I saw the film, I give her an A+++. I loved seeing batman struggle, and the reveal of characters and the twist at the end, a definite must see. You wont be disappointed. Expand
  85. Oct 15, 2012
    Definitely the best Hollywood film of summer 2012. The movie is cerebral for those who appreciate depth, but contains enough action and violence to entertain the masses. Superb acting & a solid script, all against the fittingly-dreary landscape of Pittsburgh, make this a masterpiece. All of this from someone who generally dislikes comic book/superhero movies.
  86. Aug 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie, simply put, was pure genius. Noland really pulled it off amazingly. He took the dark grittiness of the comic books and conveyed it like no other director has. I've noticed a lot of reviews such as people being annoyed that there is no way he could have escaped the bomb. I get that this is a large plot hole, for those of you that don't know batman. If you did, you would know that plot holes like this are what make the batman franchise. Batman is entity of mystery and pique human physique, i get that just anyone couldn't have survived it, but Batman is, and forever shall be, a superhero. This means he is able to pull off super human feats. They are not explained because giving away everything would make Batman lose his super quality. Another review i read stated that they didn't like the fact that Robin was basically useless. I think what people fail to realize is that it is essential for Robin to feel useless. This later will fuel his desire to make a difference, to don his balaclava and become more than just a cop, just a man, but more than a man. He will become a symbol, whether as Robin or as Nightwing, it is essential that he must feel powerless in order to feel like he needs to change to make a difference. We must remember that this is a superhero movie, making things like resetting a vertebrae what makes Batman "super". Bane was on par with Joker as a super villain. It represented what was most dangerous about Bane, not his muscles, not his addiction to venom, but his tactical mind. This was dumbed down in previous Batman movies but this does an excellent job portraying it. This movie also included the depth the villains are willing to go to achieve their goals. Raz;s daughter infiltrated Wayne Enterprises in order for her plan to come to fruition. Its dedication like that that is making it worth while to destroy Gotham. Great Movie! Expand
  87. Jul 28, 2012
    Again, like the dark knight, this is a spectacular movie. It's insanely good, It's at least as good as the dark knight, it may even be better, but I'm not sure, the dark knight has the joker, which is not just the best villain, but was portrayed incredibly well by Heath Ledgers, he was a brilliant actor. But there was some great acting in this film, like Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne. TheAgain, like the dark knight, this is a spectacular movie. It's insanely good, It's at least as good as the dark knight, it may even be better, but I'm not sure, the dark knight has the joker, which is not just the best villain, but was portrayed incredibly well by Heath Ledgers, he was a brilliant actor. But there was some great acting in this film, like Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne. The action is immensely tense and exciting to watch, it has a very interesting plot that has a few shocking twists, a good, well-written dialogue, and yes, it has a very satisfying ending. It totally deserves a 10/10! Expand
  88. Aug 15, 2012
    This is the best summer blockbuster film of 2012 and I predicted nothing different. The direction, the story, the writing, and the action kept you wondering what would happen next for the 165 minutes of the film. I have seen both Avatar and The Dark Knight Rises which are both highly acclaimed films that run for 2 hours and 45 minutes and I was bored from Avatar, but the Dark Knight RisesThis is the best summer blockbuster film of 2012 and I predicted nothing different. The direction, the story, the writing, and the action kept you wondering what would happen next for the 165 minutes of the film. I have seen both Avatar and The Dark Knight Rises which are both highly acclaimed films that run for 2 hours and 45 minutes and I was bored from Avatar, but the Dark Knight Rises was awesome and never had any slight boredom while watching this film. Expand
  89. Sep 5, 2012
    TDKR is the final chapter in an epic trilogy that made sure that even superhero movies could be for grown-ups too instead of trashy camp fests. I wonder if these movies would have been as successful if Heath Ledger hadn't died but we'll never know. It's impossible to talk about the movie without spoilers but I'll do my best to avoid them. Bruce Wayne is at his worst in the beginning of theTDKR is the final chapter in an epic trilogy that made sure that even superhero movies could be for grown-ups too instead of trashy camp fests. I wonder if these movies would have been as successful if Heath Ledger hadn't died but we'll never know. It's impossible to talk about the movie without spoilers but I'll do my best to avoid them. Bruce Wayne is at his worst in the beginning of the movie, he's lost the will to fight, live, be a part of the world. He made Batman take the blame for Harvey Dent and this act made sure that the "death of batman" brought the "death of the man". The quest to go back alive and kicking is triggered when a certain cat-burglar tries to steal jewel from the Wayn Mansion. The theft uncovers a bigger scheme where the Wayne Empire is the target. Plot twist after plot twist we meet new characters, each one with their own backstory, from Selina Kyle to agent Blake, to the menacing Bane. While Joker liked to play with minds, Bane's strength is its best asset, every time he appears you're scared of what would he do next. He's a solid character, but I think he's not enough menacing on his own but needs a full army to back him up. Bane and his army gain control of the entire town of gotham and it's up the "good people" to save the day. While in the earlier movie Batman was used as a symbol instead of an actual action hero, here he shines through gadgets and futuristic veihcles. There are a lot of action scenes that escalate in the climax of the movie.
    Overall I suggest to see the movie, it's a fitting end to a surprisingly good trilogy.
  90. Aug 2, 2012
    Easily the best film of the year so far, The Dark Knight Rises manages to reach its insanely high expectations and delivers a brilliant conclusion to the best superhero film trilogy ever made (in my opinion anyway). Despite the plot taking place 8 years after the events of The Dark Knight, there is still a fluid continuity of the first two films here which is great, Christian Bale himselfEasily the best film of the year so far, The Dark Knight Rises manages to reach its insanely high expectations and delivers a brilliant conclusion to the best superhero film trilogy ever made (in my opinion anyway). Despite the plot taking place 8 years after the events of The Dark Knight, there is still a fluid continuity of the first two films here which is great, Christian Bale himself has described TDKR as a blend of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight and he is right. The Performances in this film are brilliant as always. Christian Bale is great as the older crippled Bruce Wayne and is still awesome when he becomes the Batman again. Michael Cain is brilliant as Alfred once again despite having less screen time than he did in the other films which was disappointing but seeing how many things needed to be resolved in this film, it was probably necessary. Morgan Freeman and Gary Oldman also give brilliant performances once again. The new cast members also do a great job, the most notable are definitely Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman and of course Tom Hardy as Bane. The Character of Catwoman is nailed brilliantly and fits in Chris Nolans Batman universe perfectly. Despite all the preparation required to get in the role and having to wear a mask the whole time, Tom Hardy managed to give a fantastic performance as Bane, his brilliant voice and the spectacular expressions he can deliver with just his eyes is just awesome, and while it doesn't match Heath Ledgers performance as The Joker, he is still amazing to watch. The action in this film is the best it has ever been! Chris Nolan has always had a thing for practical effects over special effects and it has paid off, the scope and size of some of the action pieces are outstanding and highlight just how brilliant a film maker Chris Nolan is. Han Zimmer does the soundtrack once again and while I wouldn't say it is his best work, this film still has some awesome music. There are some flaws, some loose ends from The Dark Knight were not even brought up in this film which I found a little annoying but in the context of what does happen, they don't really matter. I was also a tiny bit disappointed with how Banes Character ark was resolved, what happened did work but I felt like it could have been done a bit better. The films few flaws are not reasons to give it anything lower than a 10 though, this is one of those cases where the good is so good it trumps the bad in every way. Amazing acting, brilliant writing, fantastic directing all come together to give The Dark Knight trilogy the ending it deserved, it will stay with you long after you walk out of the cinema and the ending will likely be the subject of many conversations to come. Is it better than The Dark Knight? That's a tough one because I have seen The Dark Knight many more times than I have seen TDKR and they both have different tones and themes so it's really down to a matter of opinion. It's rare the third act of a superhero trilogy gets it right but to say that The Dark Knight Rises "got it right" is a huge understatement. You simply have to see this film, Chris Nolan has done it again. Expand
  91. Aug 12, 2012
    ,,The Dark Knight Rises'' wants to be the epic conclusion for the most highly appreciate trilogy of the last years and almost succeeds to be, but it doesn't beat the high standard set by its predecessor. ,,The Dark Knight Rises'' is ambitious, has an maximum entertaining potential, it's very spectacular and reaches the peak of action in the series, but in this thrill for action, Nolan,,The Dark Knight Rises'' wants to be the epic conclusion for the most highly appreciate trilogy of the last years and almost succeeds to be, but it doesn't beat the high standard set by its predecessor. ,,The Dark Knight Rises'' is ambitious, has an maximum entertaining potential, it's very spectacular and reaches the peak of action in the series, but in this thrill for action, Nolan forgets something, gives a little, the air of commercial, but the same time an excellent air of impressive and big. The atmosphere created for the movie is perfect at all chapters from soundtrack to visuals, from special effects to costumes. The thin snow, the effect of cold and darkness, the fall and rise attitude, the atmosphere supporting music, the looks of city and people are all perfectly mixed at gives an epic air to Gotham, as well as to whole movie. Nolan presents here, not an individual story, ,,Batman can be anyone" but multiple characters in a bigger action and the collective in an epic rise. Batman enters slowly in a small shadow and the felling of collective comes forward to take the justice. A parallel between the villains of this two last movie is needed and in my opinion, in this one Bane is as perfect as Joker, is frightening, strong in both mind and body, fearless, has an interesting vision over the world, is the pure evil incarnated, his replies and dialogues are very good, the voice, the body, the look are all fear inspire and make Bane the perfect villain for this conclusion and for the biggest trial for both Batman and Gotham as well. Nolan sets in the last two movies of the trilogy the villain on a high pedestal, maybe higher than Batman and Bane do its part very, very good in this last contest. If the first movie is Batman's confrontation with himself and his ,,dark side'', the second is the confrontation of Batman and a mad enemy, Joker, the last movie brings the confrontation of collective, Batman rise and seeks justice against a bigger and diverse contest. A movie of redemption, fall and rise, fight for freedom and justice, fight against fear and darkness, ,,The Dark Knight Rises'' takes the peak for the word ,,rise'' in a movie and brings a epic conclusion to Nolan's Batman trilogy as well as making Batman the greatest superhero of all times in my opinion. Expand
  92. Jul 24, 2012
    Everything about this film is spectacular! Christopher Nolan is pure genius when it comes to film making. The casting was brilliant as well. I hope the shooting in Colorado doesn't cause people not to go because of how excellent this movie is.
  93. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Never have I ever been so angry at a metacritic score for a film. No film has ever made a cinema go as deadly quiet in shock at a plot twist like The Dark Knight Rises did. I am so happy with this epic ending to the equally as epic trilogy. The film hasn't been given the credit its truly worthy of and I am furious that this film isn't given the score it deserves. Bane becomes more of a physical threat than joker. His power is so much more huge in scale then any other villain so far seen. Watching bane hold batman over his head before dropping him into his knee, breaking his back in the process made all the cinema go silent with tension. Seeing the whole of gotham fall into one mans master plan was epic. I watched for the characters and their relationships rather than the action despite how amazing it was. The acting is the star of the show and you'll find that all the characters, especially Bane, feel real. I truly recommend you see this film, Please. Film of the year so far full-bloody-stop. Expand
  94. Aug 1, 2012
    Marvel finally gets a great superhero trilogy. The movie may not get the feeling that it's predecessor gave, because it is the final installement of the franchise, and it is the darkest and longest of them all. The acting was great. Christian Bale as usual a great Bruce Wayne/Batman and the new cast also delivers thrills. Tom Hardy is the perfect Bane and had a great storyline and MarionMarvel finally gets a great superhero trilogy. The movie may not get the feeling that it's predecessor gave, because it is the final installement of the franchise, and it is the darkest and longest of them all. The acting was great. Christian Bale as usual a great Bruce Wayne/Batman and the new cast also delivers thrills. Tom Hardy is the perfect Bane and had a great storyline and Marion Cotillard as a sexy yet misterious Miranda Tate. But the biggest surprise was Anne Hathaway, who is the best Catwoman on screen. She is Christopher Nolan's Selena Kyle/Catwoman, which means she will be a faithful version to the comics and although I don't read comic books i think she captures her personality. Her development as a character is also interesting and I would like for her to have a solo movie, directed by Christopher Nolan.
    A satysfying conclusion to a trilogy that has three movies critically acclaimed by die-hard fans and critics, thanks to Christopher Nolan,an excelent director.
  95. Jul 26, 2012
    SUPERB! EPIC!. Joker is still the best villain, and I have a gut feel that Christopher Nolan would have made a Joker sequel if there's someone who could match the performance of Heath Ledger. But then, this movie is EPIC! With its perfect presentation, perfect blend of intense action and well crafted story, I ALMOST FORGOT THE JOKER while watching this movie. I recommend watching BatmanSUPERB! EPIC!. Joker is still the best villain, and I have a gut feel that Christopher Nolan would have made a Joker sequel if there's someone who could match the performance of Heath Ledger. But then, this movie is EPIC! With its perfect presentation, perfect blend of intense action and well crafted story, I ALMOST FORGOT THE JOKER while watching this movie. I recommend watching Batman Begins and The Dark Knight again. Thank you Christopher Nolan for another great movie! THIS IS A CLEAN SLATE! Expand
  96. Aug 3, 2012
    Hoot, Clap, Whistle, Scream .. Do everything possible to cheer The Dark Knight Rises. Another great movie by Nolan. Awesome plot. Incredible cast performed Incredible job; as the great characters.
  97. Jul 20, 2012
    The third film in any trilogy is always very hard to judge - as it has to tie up previous plots and continue the evolution of characters to satisfy an existing audience. In this case, Dark Knight Rises is a great success. Containing plenty of nods back to the previous film, its nice to see how Bruce Waynes character evolves. Anne Hathaway is surprisingly good as Selina Kyle, in a partThe third film in any trilogy is always very hard to judge - as it has to tie up previous plots and continue the evolution of characters to satisfy an existing audience. In this case, Dark Knight Rises is a great success. Containing plenty of nods back to the previous film, its nice to see how Bruce Waynes character evolves. Anne Hathaway is surprisingly good as Selina Kyle, in a part which takes elements from Hush, The Long Halloween and Batman Year One. Tom Hardy's Bane however is quite different to the Bane we got in Knightfall (and, thankfully, Batman & Robin). Hardy is incredibly threatening as a villain, and fantastic at portraying his character through pretty much his eyes alone. It feels unfair to compare him to Ledgers Joker as both perform fantastic in their respective roles. The rest of the cast are equally good. The plot is also compelling, although much like the Dark Knight sometimes Logic is bent or straight out broken to get the film to where it needs to be. Thankfully the film justifies this moments with great set pieces and some compelling moments - Michael Caine getting the best bits to my mind. So as a conclusion to a trilogy this is in no doubt a ten for me. But as a stand alone film there are one or two plot holes and the odd clunky scene that drag it ever so slightly. Given that the first two films are excellent anyway there's no reason not to be clued in on the world that Nolan and co. have built. If you watch just one of Nolans Batman movies, go for The Dark Knight but as part of the trilogy and its conclusion this is as fantastic as the previous 2.

One thing though: I've noticed that some of the newspaper reviews criticised the politic aspects of the movie - which is bizarre as there really isn't much more than Bane using an Occupy:Gotham belief to mask his real intentions. Sure the odd comment has subtext but it has no real depth beyond the film itself. And Mitt Romney has nothing to worry about. :)
  98. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises was just everything I had anticipated for months, even more. From beginning to finish, it had me on the edge of my seat. My speculations were correct though when the events happened I was still in awe. Yes, call me a fan boy a Nolan Fan boy, but I loved this movie. The score is as always blended great with the action packed scenes. Christian Bale out does himself asThe Dark Knight Rises was just everything I had anticipated for months, even more. From beginning to finish, it had me on the edge of my seat. My speculations were correct though when the events happened I was still in awe. Yes, call me a fan boy a Nolan Fan boy, but I loved this movie. The score is as always blended great with the action packed scenes. Christian Bale out does himself as Batman and even better as Bruce Wayne. Micheal Cain and Morgan Freeman always give us astounding performances. Anne Hathaway is the best Catwoman hands down. She gives a seductive and strong performance. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is one of the best actors and this movie proves it. The same is said of Tom Hardy. Even if his face is covered with the mask and the one scene I didn't understand him, his body language and his eyes are menacing. The story does feel like it's rushing sometimes but still an amazing story plot very intense. Mr. Nolan you did it again nothing but praises. Expand
  99. Jul 26, 2012
    Nolan has talent, I will give him that. Of course I favor cerebral films, and this was one of them though it had a quite-down-to-earth setting. I constantly find myself studying each detail as I am watching, updating and maintaining a mental checklist of nuances just to be sure and understand things. It's somewhat of a workout but I'm still able to enjoy the action regardless. And I mustNolan has talent, I will give him that. Of course I favor cerebral films, and this was one of them though it had a quite-down-to-earth setting. I constantly find myself studying each detail as I am watching, updating and maintaining a mental checklist of nuances just to be sure and understand things. It's somewhat of a workout but I'm still able to enjoy the action regardless. And I must thank him for artistically reminding us that conspiracies and radical philosophies and organizations such as Anarchy and Communism are scion of adulterous minds, personified in Raz Al Gul and his legacy. Very nicely illustrated. I am also glad that though this was the last in his masterful series that he courteously leaves lead-ins for the rest of the story, that the story in almost no sense ends because there were so many ambiguous resolutions in the end. The ending was very well done, as were the numerous skillfully-woven motivational themes and tropes. Any creative work that can postulate radical thesis from a very contemporary scenario as an effectively-alternate present deserves my applause and my appreciation. 'Thanks for the intellectual diversion, Mr. Nolan!' Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.