8.4

1. Aug 29, 2012
    This movie was awesome from the beginning to the end. I never enjoyed in a movie that good since The Dark Knight. The previous movie was way better. But this one was good too, it was exciting all the time. Anne Hathaway really surprised me with such performance. Also the ending was pretty amazing.
    The only thing I didn't liked about the movie was the ending with Blake - this was unnecessary. But anyway, it's a good movie.
  2. Sep 3, 2012
    With Batman Begins, Nolan set the benchmark for the superhero genre by showing us what it
  3. Sep 6, 2012
    Un film lleno de emoción , efectos visuales increíbles, una actuacion muy buena de parte de anne hat thaway.Sin embargo los errores notorios hacen que mi calificacion no sea perfecta. No obstante este film no deja de ser una obra maestra.
  4. Sep 8, 2012
    This was a really good movie. Now before I get ahead of myself I will start by saying that this was definitely not the best of the Nolan batman's but it was a really fun time. Although there were a few flaws near the end of the movie it did not make me look at the film in a different way.
  5. Sep 10, 2012
    At nearly 3 hours, one might be skeptical to find it zooming by. Luckily, it does just that. I don't believe that any part had deserved the right to be cut. It had quite a lot more action than its predecessor, but it was thoroughly enjoyed. I also found myself between the booming speakers, begging me to to stay on the edge of me seat. Tom Hardy had quite the seat to fill after HeathAt nearly 3 hours, one might be skeptical to find it zooming by. Luckily, it does just that. I don't believe that any part had deserved the right to be cut. It had quite a lot more action than its predecessor, but it was thoroughly enjoyed. I also found myself between the booming speakers, begging me to to stay on the edge of me seat. Tom Hardy had quite the seat to fill after Heath Ledger's Joker. Frankly, it wasn't as great, but his perception of Bane was quite good. The last ten minutes resolved the trilogy with great style. It wasn't THAT surprising, but its resolution was better than I could hoped for a trilogy of this caliber. DO NOT hesitate to watch this film! Expand
  6. Sep 14, 2012
    It concludes this trilogy in such a great way that makes the three movies function as one piece of storytelling. Most importantly, it's an amazingly written and acted story that lives up to the hype generated by the previous ones and faithful and honest towards the comics that originally brought The Dark Knight to a legend status.
  7. Dec 7, 2012
    This film has seemed a lot better than the previous film.
  8. Oct 2, 2012
    This film is great, it doesn't quite live up to the incredible lofty heights of The Dark Knight (2008) but it's still a great watch, the set pieces are fantastic, the scale of the film is ginormous, technical codes are brilliant and to top it all off it's a rollercoaster ride from start to finish.
  9. Dec 29, 2012
    "The Dark Knight Rises" presents an incomprehensibly muddled story, a swarm of too many new characters, and a tediously spiritual journey of Batman
  10. Dec 19, 2012
    I have no idea how so many people like this drag of a movie, there will little to none character development , there so much cliche stuff it was sadly predictable, the actions scenes were badly choreographed. there was NO chemistry between the actors. I love Nolan but this was just a waste, full of disjointed plot lines and lack of cohesion.
  11. Jul 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS! I finally saw The Dark Knight Rises last night. Wow, what a disappointment. Chris Nolan needs to come up with a better plot. He used the same one for all three movies. Build up the character, knock him down, build him back up. After this movie, they can never make another Batman without starting all over again. Do you REALLY want to see Batman's origin again? Also, why is it that so many people figured out who Batman was so easily? They could have have had the same movie without that. Also, Bane. First his voice was poorly dubbed. No matter where he was what kind of room he was in his voice sounded the same. It sounded like it was pasted in. Why is it that Bane could break granite with his fists, but not cave in Batman's face? On Batman himself: why is it he could break rock with his FOOT just because he was wearing a automated knee brace? On SPOILER: Robin. I figured out who the young cop was right away. Again, even he figured out who Batman was, who didn't know? Not only was the whole nuclear bomb plot cut and paste, but poor. He takes the bomb over the ocean, and he's a hero? So much for radiation poisoning in the ENTIRE OCEAN! As soon as Alfred told Bruce the story about finding him Italy living his life you KNEW right then how the movie was going to end. When I heard that Anne Hathaway was playing Catwoman, I was like: "she weights 110 lbs and looks like she couldn't hurt a fly." But she pulled it off. She was the best part of the movie. Bruce being crippled was again, giving an early end to the character. He's supposed to be better than a normal person. Also, him "breaking" his back and FIXING it in prison was the laziest/crappiest part of the whole movie. Batman has an incredible line of characters (heroes, villains, and regular people in all of comicdom not sure why that just had to pin the entire series on Ra's Al Ghul.''

This movie felt unnecessarily big, over produced and rushed. It felt like an afterthought and a contract obligation by Nolan. I wanted to love this movie, but I can just says it's okay. I mean stop pandering to the lowest common denominator and write a smart movie. 2 out of 5 stars.
  12. Jul 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was not a good Batman movie, especially trying to stand next to Begins or Dark Knight. There's a lot for me to dislike, but I'll try to hit the key points only. The pacing is rotten; actors speak without pausing between lines like they're reading from a script as quickly as possible, and plot points whiz by faster than you can appreciate most of the time as more and more is crammed into the already beefy two and a half hours. If things are slowed down to the point of understanding, you realize that the plot makes no sense. Bane (though not really Bane as it turns out) wants to blow up the city because...well, you find out eventually its because Ra's Al Ghul wanted to, but Bane himself (or his benefactor) really has no motivation aside from being a bad guy. Worse still, Bane and company seem to be suicide agents for some reason, planning on going up in smoke along with the rest of the city when the bomb goes off. The entire plot seems to be dedicated to showing Bane rip the city apart and having character shout Occupy Wall Street lines, all the while showing us how bad Socialism actually is. "Now its everyone's house!" Anyway, I think most of the problems stem from those key points: bad pacing, bad plot, confused social message. The actors are great (if rushed), and the segments with Anne Hathaway felt like an entirely different (better) movie. She plays a great Catwoman, and I wish I could have seen her doing so in a better Batman movie. The Batman vs Bane sewer fight is also excellent, and could be transplanted entirely to a better movie as well (the epilogue isn't too bad either, so you can leave on a comparatively high note). Everything else though, from silly plane kidnapping intro to nuclear race against time climax, is rushed and gaudy. One last funny thing I noticed: The Joker is never mentioned, even in passing or in regards to Dent. Dent is talked about; Scarecrow is cameoed; Ra's Al Ghul and the League of Shadows come up; never the Joker though, and he's technically alive in the Nolan-verse. Why? Personally, because I think Nolan and company recognized they weren't living up to the Dark Knight's quality, and they were trying to desperately avoid reminding the audience of that better movie. Don't say his name, and maybe everyone will forget. I'm not really sure, but if it was their way of dodging the challenge of living up to that movie, they failed miserably. Expand
  13. Jul 20, 2012
    THE DARK KNIGHT RISES. HANDS DOWN. THE BEST MOVIE EVER! Incredibly brilliant end to the batman series. Stunning on Epic Proportions. That's Batman for you! Mind-blowing. Thank you Christopher Nolan and Batman. Truly Inspiring.
  14. Jul 23, 2012
    I went and watched this yesterday and while not a bad movie, I found it to be extremely predictable (I saw the "plot-twists" coming from a mile away) and even somewhat boring. IMHO, Bane was also a very boring villain and I feel he could have been portrayed so much better. The only part of the movie I found interesting was Anne Hathaway in the catsuit. Maybe if this movie weren't soI went and watched this yesterday and while not a bad movie, I found it to be extremely predictable (I saw the "plot-twists" coming from a mile away) and even somewhat boring. IMHO, Bane was also a very boring villain and I feel he could have been portrayed so much better. The only part of the movie I found interesting was Anne Hathaway in the catsuit. Maybe if this movie weren't so dumbed-down, I would have found it more enjoyable. Expand
  15. Jul 24, 2012
    I had a much longer review, but metacritic wouldn't let me post it so I'll sum it up.

It has its moments, and the first half is better than the second half, but it is a mess and may very well be the weakest of the Trilogy.
  16. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Dark Knight Rises feels like a six year old retold what they remembered of Batman Begins with nothing of The Dark Knight aside from Harvey Dent to a screen writer, who then wrote a sequel. It feels like Inception without the concept of dreams. It flirts with greatness but never reaches it. It's not The Dark Knight. It's closer to X3 in the way that it marginalizes characters and fails to deliver the promise of the series as a whole. Viewed not as a sequel to one of the few (if not the only) comic book films to ever win an oscar? It still isn't very good. There are moments of brilliance, and moments of frustration. There are many plot threads that go nowhere. The scene in the prison between Ra's and Bruce is one of the most amazing scenes I've seen in a film in years. Yet other scenes that should have been just as amazing, such as Alfred and Bruce's goodbye ring hollow; as if the writers stopped caring about the characters, or never understood them in the first place. Within five minutes of one love interest being removed a second one crops up, ensuring the ending is a heart string tugging mess.

But rather than delve into all of that, let's just examine one of the final scenes: Batman in The Bat chasing down the truck. Talia and an unnamed man are in the cabin of the truck. Batman, after evading missiles, flies directly in front of said truck and opens fire. Right at the cabin. With two large guns. And the driver dies. Talia takes over, as if nothing has changed. But this, this massive flaw in internal logic, this glaring hole in the conceptualization of the film and it's protagonist exemplifies everything that is wrong with The Dark Knight Rises. Right at the end of the movie Batman breaks his "one rule" without a second's hesitation, and worse, without any moral debate about doing so. A flashback to the interrogation in The Dark Knight with the Joker stating that people drop their moral code at the first sign of trouble could have made this scene into something of undeniable power. But instead, nothing. He clearly was not willing to cross this line when he flew into the final battle between the police and the citizens, or in his final battle with Bane. It could easily be said that Batman has accidentally killed many people. The League of Shadows fire comes to mind, as does the crashing of the train, or the chase scene in Begins that Alfred hand waves away by saying "it's a miracle that no one was hurt.". These are leaps of faith or suspensions of disbelief: Batman is trying to do the right thing, and this sometimes has unforeseen consequences. But flying directly in front of a vehicle and opening fire on it's cabin, killing a man? This is not accidental. Even if the entire city was at risk, this does not justify ignoring Batman's moral compass by murdering a man without pause. Talia's death came from wounds suffered when the truck fell off of the road; a mirror of her father's death. It can be viewed as accidental. But the driver's cannot. In The Avengers Thor hits Captain America's shield with his hammer without any understanding of what the shield is made out of, and it's arguable that he tried to kill him with that attack. But that movie isn't built around heroes who never kill, it's built around fun. It's impossible to believe that Batman didn't know what could happen when he opened fire. A good comic book movie obscures these facts. X2 for example starts to falter when you realize how many people died when Xavier momentarily cripples every human on the planet. But it was not his intention. And therein lies the problem.

I enjoyed much of The Dark Knight Rises, but can't say it's a good film by any means. If it was made in a different country I would have felt like I simply didn't understand their culture and blown it off. And I am the kind of person who loves comic book movies, both realistic and campy. Despite this, I'm sure that most of my words will be ignored, and I'll be labeled a "hater" for not blindly loving the film.

I tried writing a full review of the film, in all of it's wonder and drudgery, but couldn't get it below 5000 characters. So I leave it with this one concept and it's obvious and massive flaw: Batman murders a man and the film doesn't blink an eye over it.
  17. Jul 23, 2012
    Unlike The avengers, Batman uses real stunts and real emotion rather than digital effects and flashy lights and green screens. The behind the scenes footage of the movie is mind-blowing, you can really tell they put a lot of hard work into this movie. It also helps that they wait 3-4 years between each movie to make sure they have a good story line.
  18. Jul 26, 2012
    I have seen this film twice now in the cinema. I was never a batman fan until i seen the Dark Knight. After that i got Batman Begins and took them both for what they were. Two amazing films. however, The Dark Knight Rises was just empty. I had no expectations going into the film. I was taking it for what it was. I did not go in comparing it to the previous two films. There were too manyI have seen this film twice now in the cinema. I was never a batman fan until i seen the Dark Knight. After that i got Batman Begins and took them both for what they were. Two amazing films. however, The Dark Knight Rises was just empty. I had no expectations going into the film. I was taking it for what it was. I did not go in comparing it to the previous two films. There were too many plot holes and things going on at the same time. As much as i liked Tom Hardy's adaption of Bane, there really wasnt enough of him in it. It feels like they knew how to start at and how to end it, they just needed to fill it in the middle. The last 20 mins were the best in the film. But walking out the cinema i had nothing really to say or go "remember the bit where?..." I seen it a second time hoping to like it, i hated it the second time. I just found it boring, i found myself constantly checking my phone and being distracted. this is only my opinion, but its an opinion from someone who isn't a fan boy or anything like that. Go watch it, but stick to the first two films because they possess more passion. Expand
  19. Jul 30, 2012
    The film was an absolute disappointment for me. The action was taking place in a very narrow space. The editing was really awful. There were countless meaningless happenings. Like taking blood from the man in the plane. Then the blood wasn't even used. Casting was not good. The city fight scene was meaningless. Why didn't they use the guns but tried to ram instead?
    No adrenalin. Not
    No adrenalin. Not enough action. Lots of unanaswered questions. Why was the truck in the move? No logical answer. Lots of questions like this one.
    Generally talking the worst of the trilogy.
  20. Jul 23, 2012
    I don't know what is wrong with Christopher Nolan, he makes these great movies with awesome special effects, beautiful cinematography, and poignant dramatic moments and **** them up with convoluted plot twists, multiple story lines, and retiredly complicated scenarios. This movie could have been great, but it ended up being just ok. It was too long and too many things going on reminded meI don't know what is wrong with Christopher Nolan, he makes these great movies with awesome special effects, beautiful cinematography, and poignant dramatic moments and **** them up with convoluted plot twists, multiple story lines, and retiredly complicated scenarios. This movie could have been great, but it ended up being just ok. It was too long and too many things going on reminded me too much of inception. The ending was money, but it didn't make up for the rest of the movie being too long and boring, next time don't try to make 6 movies into one and it will be good. Expand
  21. Jul 25, 2012
    The Dark knight Rises is too long for no reason (almost 3 hours long) There are some scenes where you feel the movie dragging on. It looks like the entire Gotham City was shot in the same 2 blocks of New York City... if it was shot in NYC at all. Plus Batman has become too soft. Wait for the DVD version... you won't be missing anything.
  22. Aug 3, 2012
    I felt compelled to write this review because of the overall positive score this piece of cr.. received. I had some issues with the two previous Batman movies, like the absence of the gothic ambiance - you can pound us endlessly with the claim that the scene is Gotham, but I can still tell it is New York, or poor action scene and the fact that in combat Batman looks like an ordinary barI felt compelled to write this review because of the overall positive score this piece of cr.. received. I had some issues with the two previous Batman movies, like the absence of the gothic ambiance - you can pound us endlessly with the claim that the scene is Gotham, but I can still tell it is New York, or poor action scene and the fact that in combat Batman looks like an ordinary bar fighter - hey this is a marshal arts master pushing the human limits of speed, quickness, strength, and agility, and in these movies he looks kind of slow. In this latest movie, for moments I though I was watching Rocky 6 or something. They were exchanging concrete shattering blows endlessly. is that supposed to be an action scene in a modern time action movie. But those are just lighthearted objections. Here comes the heavy stuff. This movies is soooo stupid, it may well have the dumbest and most inconsistent plot I have ever seen. From the little details to the overall plot line it reeks mind boggling thickness. And.... and it is 164 minutes long. Those were the most painful 164 minutes of my movie watching life. I see some people here are careful not to give out any spoilers. Here's a spoiler for you, give this movie the widest possible berth you can imagine, and spread the word before it's too late, and too many people are violated by this weapon of mass brain cell destruction. Expand
  23. Aug 1, 2012
    Unaccomplished, badly fragmented, often ridiculous, blatantly fascist. At least, Bane is cool. For the rest, Nolan shows himself, in my humble opinion, as one of the most overrated director-writers of these times. The overall story, if managed better - both in terms of screenplay and direction - had the basis to deliver a powerful movie. But Nolan fails on almost every aspect. He clearlyUnaccomplished, badly fragmented, often ridiculous, blatantly fascist. At least, Bane is cool. For the rest, Nolan shows himself, in my humble opinion, as one of the most overrated director-writers of these times. The overall story, if managed better - both in terms of screenplay and direction - had the basis to deliver a powerful movie. But Nolan fails on almost every aspect. He clearly knows the importance of drama, but lacks the ability to convey it, and every dramatic scene turns out to be either ridiculous or bland, a thing which gives the final blow to a lazy plot with more holes and failed pretentiousness than a badly designed mini-golf course. Batman himself, especially in the fighting scenes, is a clown that moves with the speed of a snail, and talks with a totally laughable old-style horror-tunnel voice.
    At least, as I mentioned, Tom Hardy is a very expressive and impressive Bane, while Gary Oldman, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Anne Hathaway deliver a good performance. The rest, acting included, is pure boredom.
  24. Jul 25, 2012
    The Dark Knight, in my own opinion, is the best movie ever made. Needless to say, Rises had a seemingly insurmountable legacy to live up to. I never expected Rises to top The Dark Knight, which is good, because it doesn't. This is a terrific film, but it fails to deliver on the level of either of its predecessors, my main qualms are with the dialogue and the casting of some of the newThe Dark Knight, in my own opinion, is the best movie ever made. Needless to say, Rises had a seemingly insurmountable legacy to live up to. I never expected Rises to top The Dark Knight, which is good, because it doesn't. This is a terrific film, but it fails to deliver on the level of either of its predecessors, my main qualms are with the dialogue and the casting of some of the new characters. Prime example, Matthew Modine as Deputy Commissioner Peter Foley, this guy just...fails, and it's not just him being a **** actor, it's the fact that his character was so pointless, so unnecessary to the story, and above all, a colossal dumbass (calling off the chase of Bane and co. to chase Batman), one of the many things I loved about Begins and Knight was that none of the cops were stupid to the point where they actually hindered the superhero, something I deplored in the Spiderman films, top that off with just one of Foley's ridiculous lines: "Then he's as dumb as he dresses" and he loses all credibility, to the point where his death brought about nothing but a "Thank God" from me. Moving on from that, the movie is too long, normally that's no issue for me, but this film is (sorry) comparable to the two Transformers sequels in that its length is not justified by its content, there's just so much unnecessary **** that that would've made it about at least a half hour shorter. The Dark Knight was a long movie, but not one second of that movie was wasted, which makes it ok. Bane's voice is too high pitched and seems much less menacing then it was in the first trailer (probably thanks to all the dipsh!ts who complained that they couldn't understand him...um? ARE YOU **** DEAF?) The overall story functions, but failed to draw me in to the extent of Begins or Knight, and...to be honest, Batman is a little silly. He appears twice during the first act of the film, and both times he pulls it off well (the fight between Bane and Batman at this act's pinnacle was rather good). He makes not one appearance in the second act because Bruce Wayne is busy having a psychological experience in a hole somewhere.The finally, on comes the third act, and Batman returns, in bright daylight, and despite the fact that every main character seems to know his identity by now, he still speaks with the HAZAFADABADANEEER voice, then comes the dialogue between Bane and Batman as they begin their rematch: Bane: Ah, I see you've come back to die with your city-Batman: No, I came back to stop you. O_o -_- >:( ARE YOU **** KIDDING ME? *Mock applause" Bravo, Bravo. I know i've spent this entire time mentioning one flaw after another, but that's just because the film is so good that I felt the need to point out what flaws it did have. The conclusion is f*cking fantastic, the returning cast excels in their roles and the majority of the new blood (Tom Hardy, Joseph G-L, Marion Cotillard & Anne Hathaway in particular) bring true life to their characters. Overall, the worst of Nolan's trilogy, but still one of the best films ever made. Expand
  25. Jul 20, 2012
    Excellent well told movie. It raises the bar for comic movies away from bubble gum schtick to taught tense palpable tales. Yes Avengers was more fun, it was part comedy...this is a gripping dark tale of fighting for your beliefs and and what it is to be a hero. It's long at almost three hours though you may hardly notice! It flies by...
  26. Jul 20, 2012
    Poor TDKR. A lot of film nerds website are dissing this film; and also as of the time of writing of this review, the world mourns the death of 12 or so patrons who were killed in a premiere of TDKR in Colorado...TDKR starts up as a film with the most to lose from this incident. But the big question is: can TDKR fulfills the incredible expectations that surrounds it? No. Is is a greatPoor TDKR. A lot of film nerds website are dissing this film; and also as of the time of writing of this review, the world mourns the death of 12 or so patrons who were killed in a premiere of TDKR in Colorado...TDKR starts up as a film with the most to lose from this incident. But the big question is: can TDKR fulfills the incredible expectations that surrounds it? No. Is is a great super hero film? Yes. Not as great as TDK but better than Batman Begins. It is surprisingly the most 'comic book'-ish of the Nolan trilogy, with twists, revelations and storyline in line with its source material. Great cinematography and superb technical detail, great soundtrack (albeit a bit overbearing), and most important of all, some great action sequences. I dunno about you though, I feel that Anne Hathaway's Catwoman is the most accurate portrayal of the character ever filmed. Tom Hardy's Bane is not as interesting as the Joker (thanks to Ledger's supreme performance) but he is still a menacing villain. The biggest weakness: one of the plot point during the climax is a little bit too similar of a recent mega blockbuster of late. Nolan also creates too many characters and plot points: it lacks the efficiency and focus of his previous works such as Inception and yes, TDK itself. Worth seeing, but the TDK is still the best comic book film of all time. Lower your expectations a bit, film nerds!! Expand
  27. Aug 4, 2012
    Absolutely hated it. I know the batfans are going to disagree and click no on my review. But it's my opinion and i didn't like it. Which is weird because i loved the dark knight
  28. Jul 21, 2012
    A great film which was the culmination of a fantastic trilogy. The first half an hour or so was pretty slow but the pace quickened up towards the end.
  29. Jul 21, 2012
    TDKR was far too long. It could have been 30 mins shorter. It should have been. The fight scenes flat out sucked. Too close and not enough sound power. Each fight bore me. Bane's voice sounded like a child playing with a voice altering toy on Halloween. Batman had hardly any screen time. His weapons were weak.

Catwoman worked and so did The new character played by Joseph Gordan L.

Catwoman worked and so did The new character played by Joseph Gordan L.

the last 15 mins were what the whole movie should have been like.

Oh and what's the point in naming it Gotham when it looks just like NYC?

I should give it a lower score based on poor story alone, but some parts worked well.
  30. Jul 23, 2012
    This film is absolutely fantastic, and a great ending to one of the best trilogies that Hollywood has ever produced. Anne Hathaway gives a stunning performance as Catwoman, and Tom Hardy is truly menacing as the films villain, Bane. As ever, Michael Caine gives another classic performance, perfectly portraying Alfred Pennyworth. The plot is great, with twists and turns, and a veryThis film is absolutely fantastic, and a great ending to one of the best trilogies that Hollywood has ever produced. Anne Hathaway gives a stunning performance as Catwoman, and Tom Hardy is truly menacing as the films villain, Bane. As ever, Michael Caine gives another classic performance, perfectly portraying Alfred Pennyworth. The plot is great, with twists and turns, and a very unexpected ending. The script writing is excellent, and Banes voice belies his true nature. Overall, this easily one of the best films ever made, and I recommend it to everyone and anyone. Expand
  31. Sep 3, 2012
    Nolan's movies show off the unattractive bighead he really is. While busy pretending to be intelligent and dark he forgets to put in realistic, "human" behavior. This results in very sober movies that are not attractive in any way. His movies f.e. are lacking humor of any kind...hardly ever a smile is shown and often the plot is just so artificial it can't seriously be what normalNolan's movies show off the unattractive bighead he really is. While busy pretending to be intelligent and dark he forgets to put in realistic, "human" behavior. This results in very sober movies that are not attractive in any way. His movies f.e. are lacking humor of any kind...hardly ever a smile is shown and often the plot is just so artificial it can't seriously be what normal thinking people like to see. I much more prefer the human kind of behaviour from actors in movies...The dark knight once again fails the "reality"test...which makes it an annoying waste of time. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!! Expand
  32. Jul 24, 2012
    I genuinely don't know where to start in describing how much of a let down this film was for me and my partner.

The film was badly written, poorly delivered, bizarrely directed and disjointedly edited. The whole feel of the film is of a three part-er hacked down into a muddled trailer because of intellectually property issues or breached artiste/acting contracts. The film draws

The film draws upon the phenomenally successful "Knight Fall" comic trilogy but then dumps all of its good points in favor of a PC "let's make sure we've covered all of the minority groups in the casting even if we need to jettison the key points"

Bane sounds like an infant shouting through a kazoo, Hathaway manages to make wearing a cat suit look awkward to the point of puritanical, Gary Oldman looks like he's auditioning to replace David Jason as Frost, and Batman does nothing but whine.

Michael Caine struggles with difficult dialogue but nevertheless has us rummaging through girlfriends handbags for tissues as Batman declines into obscurity and Gordon-Levitt has us screaming at the screen to ditch the whine-y old fart and (as Michael Caine in his Harry Palmer days might have said) "get in the bladdy suit!"

This is a film aching to be remade and remade better, which is a shame because everything was already available to Nolan to get it right the first time.
  33. Jul 20, 2012
    Honestly, I;m soooo disappointed. Such a let down after the awesome first two from director Nolan. The film took far too long to warm up. Much too much story line, too much happening and you are left not really connecting with any of it. If youre looking for a dull, senseless action movie this will be youre cup of tea. If youre expecting a great epic story, great acting and the great NolanHonestly, I;m soooo disappointed. Such a let down after the awesome first two from director Nolan. The film took far too long to warm up. Much too much story line, too much happening and you are left not really connecting with any of it. If youre looking for a dull, senseless action movie this will be youre cup of tea. If youre expecting a great epic story, great acting and the great Nolan touch you'll be, like me bitterly disappointed. Expand
  34. Jul 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Things I didn't like about this movie:
    -------------------------------------------------------

- The plot never seems to get traction. When you expect something smart, figurative, and metaphorical (like
    the brilliant Batman Begins) in the end its just a plain old "there's a bomb!" plot with nameless thugs running
    around.

- Bane's character is not developed at all. Nor does his ramblings have an intellectual basis to make him
    interesting. The dubbed voice over for him was so much louder than the normal track it sounded fake.
    The overacted scottish accent was horrible. This is kind of sad because Batman comics are praised for
    the complex villians. Bane had no personality at all and you had no appreciation for his mission or
    thought process.

- Batman is cool because he has gadgets, does awesome detective work in the batcave, invents things,
    outwits enemies, drives the batmobile, connects the dots where others cannot etc. and wins hand to hand fights. Sadly, none
    of those traits are portrayed in this movie. The seminal point in the movie where batman actually returns
    on the scene is a confusing sequence where it seems that he chases the badguys off and
    they get away. He's then sort of scolded for scaring them off by the police. Huh? Wtf? That's not
    the Batman we want to see....

- Fox's character is largely ignored in this movie. A shame. They could have done something interesting
    with him. - Catwoman had great potential to be interesting but they only scratched the surface with her and she
    had no integral purpose.

- Much of the plot mirrors events in Batman Begins (the best of the 3). Batman is hurt, he is thrown in
    prison. League of Shadows is behind the turmoil and Wayne enterprises has another bad ceo. Batman
    overcomes his imprisonment, trains to magically heal his serious injuries, etc.

- The dialogue between characters is mostly related to "this and that" such as "we have to stop him",
    "I'm on it!" etc. and nothing deep, revealing or interesting to hear. Sounds bad, and sadly it is.

- There is a pointless "police march" that goes no where because the script meanders off elsewhere.

- For some reason, people "just know" Bruce Wayne is Batman. Unfortunately, this revelation is just
    crammed into the script because the script needs it, not because events actually lead to it.

- The "Inception" like ending is good cause for debate but also copied from Inception.

- The fight scenes were a joke. Batman and Bane just whiffing at one another. Batman is a martial
    arts expert who can defeat many enemies at once. He also has cool gadgets to evade and surprise
    bad guys. None of that appears here. Let me be clear. Batman is a SUPERHERO. Not some average
    joe in a unitard.

- Like Prometheus, the music was too loud, everpresent and contextually unrelated.

- It was too long. Mostly for the above reasons.

- Too much everyone else. Not enough BATMAN!! I mean c'mon!!! We hardly got to see batman
    at all....seriously.

- Why is this movie called Dark Knight Rises? Ok, he quit and came back, then quit or died again. The title seems misplaced or redundant to the other movies. "Batman Begins", "Dark Knight Rises", sorta means the same thing with different words. Things I liked about this movie: ------------------------------------------------------ - Bat plane - Catwoman, although they didn't show her true abilities (9 lives, etc.)
  35. Yen
    Jul 20, 2012
    Decent movie. But nothing compared to the Dark Knight and I even liked Batman Begins better. Bane was a great villain but I felt the theme and story were muddled and the pacing was a bit off. I never felt really drawn in.
  36. Jul 23, 2012
    The Dark Knight is Risible.
    Almost every scene was either utter nonsense or so boring that it felt like my entire day was being swallowed up in this mire.
    A massive problem for me is Bane, not just that he's nothing like the comic-book character but his voice is even more comical than Batman's - he sounds exactly like the Narrator from Diablo! Bane's fights with Batman are terrible
    The Dark Knight is Risible.
    Bane's fights with Batman are terrible because Nolan still cannot direct brawling scenes. He barely even tries this time and seems to have gone back to his original tactic of cutting away or just plain hiding the action behind intervening characters.
    I can think of 2-3 decent moments but for the vasty majority of the film I was just hoping it would improve or just end. Nolan was obviously sick-to-death of the characters and seemed to want the audience to go out feeling the same way.
  37. JYT
    Jul 29, 2012
    A really poor scenario and even Michael Caine mess up his character. A least the movie is long so it is better value for money than another movie. If you compare movies where people are locked up and try to escape, Midnight Express would problably score 3 times more than this one. So the score can't be greater than 3.
  38. Jul 21, 2012
    The dark night rises can be summed up in one word. dissapointing. I am a big fan of the series prior to this but the bad combination of shaky characters, a copied plot line, and logic flaws made this movie two and a half hours of dissapointment. the movies new characters have barely any explanation to them at all and the new thing about batman torn about weather he should retire or notThe dark night rises can be summed up in one word. dissapointing. I am a big fan of the series prior to this but the bad combination of shaky characters, a copied plot line, and logic flaws made this movie two and a half hours of dissapointment. the movies new characters have barely any explanation to them at all and the new thing about batman torn about weather he should retire or not goes against the fact that it is a batman movie (not to mention its very poorly scripted). the dark night does redeem itself alittle with anne hathaway playing a sexy well developed catwoman. when the movie first started and the very first action scene was done with i was excited and hopefull about this movie... but eventually it drug out drama with bruce wayne in a very dull segment of the movie and when the plot line actually starts to unfold i figured out that they had simply done the same basic thing in the first movie. the plit twists were not built up well and made the movie even worse... on top of all theses flaws pure logic flaws stop me from being emmersed into the dramatic critical point in the story like hundreds of people running at tanks and machine guns. ten men with assault rifles and cover could hold down the entire group of police officers. not to mention one of them could just toss a grenade at batman or bane and end the whole thing. cat woman seemed to be immune to bullet fire and the auto pilot was a poor excuse for the ending twist. and banes mask was explained horribly and an army of underground contractors with machine guns was never seen by anyone? all in all the movie does look epic and when it actually gets to a fight scene with bane and batman (theres only two and theyre not long) it does look awesome. although i love batman and i try to like this movie it has way to many shortcomings and outright stupidity for me to like it. stay safe and dont go to this movie Expand
  39. Jul 30, 2012
    Absolutely unbelievable as you will not be able to take your eyes off the screen especially whenever Bane appears. He is deliciously evil. This flick has a shot although a comic book action movie to be nominated for BEST PICTURE. Strong supporting cast that work very well together. Go see and enjoy.
  40. Jul 21, 2012
    If you go into this film thinking it will be the greatest film of all time, it will be the greatest film of all time. However if you go into it thinking nothing can beat Dark Knight, then whats the point of watching it? Dark Knight Rises is a Perfect film. Outstanding and immensely gripping, plot turns are mind blowing and acting throughout the trilogy, especially in the last film haveIf you go into this film thinking it will be the greatest film of all time, it will be the greatest film of all time. However if you go into it thinking nothing can beat Dark Knight, then whats the point of watching it? Dark Knight Rises is a Perfect film. Outstanding and immensely gripping, plot turns are mind blowing and acting throughout the trilogy, especially in the last film have been the best in any film made. Thank you Christopher Nolan, you've evoked tears, joy and awe. What a trilogy! Next we wait for Superman Expand
  41. Jul 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Warning, Review May Contain Spoilers

It's tough to follow up with one of the best (or the best) super hero movie of all time, the Dark Knight. I came into this movie with fair expectations about the movie. This film falls just a tad short of being a great flick.

Bane - - His masked face leaves him almost expressionless
    - enhanced voice make him sounds like Barney's evil twin. Can't understand him half of the time
    - His motives to terrorize was unclear, he portrayed to be a pretty good badass, but then he became irrelevant thanks to the 'twist" toward the end of the movie
    - His death was abrupt and cheap. Nobody cared whether he died or lived at this point.

Catwoman:
    - Anne Hathaway did a great job as Catwoman. seductive, deceptive, and sassy. However, the depiction of Catwoman's character left me disappointed. - In the beginning of the film, she was Catwoman. Towards the end, she acted more like Batgirl. The ending, she's just another chick.
    - I preferred the Catwoman in Tim Burton's Batman Returns. Seductive, sexy, deceptive, teaser, and above all, CRAZY. A type that would drive Batman nuts. Batman:
    - This is Christian's Bale best performance in the trilogy. I empathized with his pain, suffering, passion, and sacrifice. You also see a very vulnerable Batman, not as dominating as the previous two film. This Batman fought with heart. Tim Drake, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt - did an exceptional job. He was the most personable and developed character in this film. You can see great potential in him as eventually being Batman's sidekick. As an actor, Joseph got a good future
    Story:
    - Slow at first, but became disorganized and jumpy. It feels like a Batman version of Inception. The psychology and philosophy message of this film is not as stimulating as TDK. There are many unnecessary scenes that doesn't help with story line. The ending was great, it toyed with your emotions from excitement, sadness, to happiness. It tried to be deep, but sometimes crosses the line of being cheesy. I feel there was too much going on and it's difficult to keep track of everything. Overall,
    A solid movie. Worth the time and money to check it out. However, don't come in with high expectations being as great or better than TDK. You will be hugely disappointed. Also, drink some coffee or sodas to keep you alert and awake during the slow parts of the movie.
  42. Jul 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There were several problems with this Batman, that being said, it is hard not to enjoy the eye candy and the epicness that is implied makes the movie very fun. My biggest caveat with the film was that Nolan created the most believable superhero and villains to date yet decides to go over the top in this one. There's a point in the movie where Bane takes a physicist to a 'fusion energy' something-or-other generator that Wayne Enterprises built and forces him to make it into a bomb. This takes the physicist about 15 seconds at which point he turns around a says something to the effect of "It's a 5 megaton nuclear bomb now with a blast radius of six miles" Okay fair enough. Unfortunately, I couldn't turn a blind eye to Bane's next action which lured 99% of the cops in Gotham underground at which point Bane blew up the tunnel entrances so they're trapped under the city. Oh yeah he also blows up all the bridges surrounding the city effectively cutting Gotham off from the rest of the world and holds it hostage with the nuke FOR THREE MONTHS! All the while Batman is in a pit somewhere in the Middle East fixing his broken back and trying to climb out of said pit. I think Nolan did himself a huge disservice with "the worst prison in all the world". Firstly, yes it looks pretty **** but then again, the prison Bale was in at the very beginning of Batman Begins looked worse. But worse than this is the climb out.

So this is pit is terrible because you can attempt to climb out seemingly any time you want and that hope creates more despair. The climb looks difficult and this is cool but where this gets so **** is how the prisoners can climb with a rope. When they fall, which they all do, it looks incredibly painful, but I believe without a doubt this would have been better if each person had to climb without the rope so they only had one chance to climb out. Bale falls twice before he's told to climb without the rope "so he feels fear again" which will help him make a difficult jump where everyone falls. Yeah that makes sense and is pretty cool but much of the 'terror' of this climb was already lost and the climax of THE Rise was simply not as powerful as i was hoping it would be. Oh and after this escape Bruce walks down a hill and then disapparates into Gotham to casually meet Hathaway on a street.

Bane critiques? Yes I will mention it, the voice is unacceptably unintelligible a times. That being said I thought the voice sounded so cool and menacing that I feel I broke even on this facet. And I'll state the obvious, he wasn't as good as the joker, no surprise there. And finally, the length and pacing of the movie just seemed...off. Wish I had taken a film class to better explain this but Nolan long windily tries to present to use social issues such as class warfare and Occupy sentiments along with the acute emotions and issues Bruce's vigilante lifestyle has brought forth. While these problems exist, some of which seriously bothered me after the movie (that I desperately wanted to succeed), I still thoroughly enjoyed it but was disappointed it did not meet the (very) high expectations.
  43. BKM
    Jul 21, 2012
    Christopher Nolan's conclusion to his Dark Knight trilogy miraculously lives up to the hype that began following the phenomenal success of 2008's The Dark Knight. This time Batman squares off against Bane, a beefy tank of a villain intent on bringing Gotham to its knees. There's a lot going on in this movie; a plethora of characters to keep up with, eye popping visual effects, a myriadChristopher Nolan's conclusion to his Dark Knight trilogy miraculously lives up to the hype that began following the phenomenal success of 2008's The Dark Knight. This time Batman squares off against Bane, a beefy tank of a villain intent on bringing Gotham to its knees. There's a lot going on in this movie; a plethora of characters to keep up with, eye popping visual effects, a myriad of themes and emotions. Yet Nolan manages to blend them all together for one heck of a ride. The Dark Knight Rises is a summer blockbuster with brains, heart and ambition. It is also one of the best films of the year. Expand
  44. Dec 9, 2012
    I tried really hard to enjoy this movie but it just made no sense to me. Even though it was almost three hours long, I found that each scene was so gawdy and finely cut together that I could barely follow what was going on. Instead of meaningful dialogue it seemed to be one overconfident cliche after another. I can't really say I'm a huge fan of superhero or comic book stories but I doI tried really hard to enjoy this movie but it just made no sense to me. Even though it was almost three hours long, I found that each scene was so gawdy and finely cut together that I could barely follow what was going on. Instead of meaningful dialogue it seemed to be one overconfident cliche after another. I can't really say I'm a huge fan of superhero or comic book stories but I do enjoy well written science fiction. Sadly, this is not. The writers should have taken a little more time to make sure and not offend intelligent viewers with such ridiculous moments as "oh my vertebrae is sticking out of my back, can you kick it back in for me?" - let's get real. If you want us to have sympathy and genuine concern for the heroes, they have to first be human. Expand
  45. Jul 23, 2012
    the best the best the best movie on 2012 bec Director:
    Christopher Nolan waoo is good Director ! and he is have some good thing ! The best thing that Batman back to the path of the right !
  46. Aug 11, 2012
    Seen it before. The Dark Knight series are by far the best of the genre but are getting tired. The plot felt contrived and even the shocking twists weren't much of a surprise. That said even though no one was surprised by the ending it left me looking forward to the next installment.
    The Occupy Wall Street themes are present but only the political witch hunters will cheer them. It won't change the minds of the disgruntled hippie types.
  47. Aug 21, 2012
    Never wanted to cry more at the end of a movie. Amazing. Words cannot describe this movie. This movie gives reason to believe there is still hope for America.
  48. Aug 22, 2012
    Probably the best Batman ever! I love Batman so that is saying something. Bane is one of the best villains ever too. Seen it three times, getting ready for a fourth. So sick!!!
  49. Nov 17, 2012
    I've spent years waiting for the third film in the Dark Knight trilogy to open, and then spent 2 and a half hours waiting for it to end. Sluggish, laborious and predictable, Nolan's third Batman film is a decent film but an extreme disservice to the stellar franchise he started.
  50. Jul 28, 2012
    Superheroes are usually infallible, except for whatever their one weakness is. What I mean is that after a knock down, drag-out end of the world fight, they are able to get up, wipe the dirt off their shoulder, and walk away without any visible scars. Batman is not superhuman though, he relies on technology and a therapist's dream amount of anger. It has been eight years since theSuperheroes are usually infallible, except for whatever their one weakness is. What I mean is that after a knock down, drag-out end of the world fight, they are able to get up, wipe the dirt off their shoulder, and walk away without any visible scars. Batman is not superhuman though, he relies on technology and a therapist's dream amount of anger. It has been eight years since the events of The Dark Knight and no Gothamite has seen even a glimpse of Batman (Christian Bale). Coincidentally, nobody has seen reclusive billionaire Bruce Wayne either.

Bruce limps now; he shuffles around with a cane, stoops his shoulders, and has no cartilage in his knees. During a fundraiser, he is actually at a disadvantage and lets a cat burglar, Selina Kyle (Anne Hathaway), sneak into his rooms and steal his dead mother's pearls right in front of him. Yep, Bruce Wayne is depressed. Business isn't doing too well either. Along with Lucious Fox (Morgan Freeman) who runs the day-to-day of Wayne Enterprises, Bruce sunk half his money into nuclear fusion research trying to develop clean energy for Gotham City. That avenue does not appear to be taking off any time soon. Alas, if it was just his money, Bruce probably would not be so down in the dumps, but he also took the money of philanthropist and do-gooder Miranda Tate (Marion Cotillard). Bruce really does not like to lose a good looking lady's money. The Dark Knight Rises would be an altogether odd Batman film if the main villains were depression and the recession. No worries, the bad guy this time literally emerges from a dark hole in the ground, wears a grotesque mask on his head, and sounds like a hard to understand Darth Vader. Bane (Tom Hardy) is a big guy. One could say he grew up in a rough neighborhood and has been socialized to become the world's, and naturally Gotham's, leading terrorist. He nonchalantly takes over and disintegrates a CIA aircraft, takes the entire New York Stock Exchange hostage, and oh yeah, gets his hand on a neutron bomb which he hangs over the heads of the woefully unlucky Gotham citizens. Please Batman, come back to us; but there is no Batman to be found. Gotham City blames the Batman for Harvey Dent's death and despite the best efforts of Commissioner Gordon (Gary Oldman) to temper their anger, nobody likes Batman too much.

That is just fine with Alfred (Michael Caine). He is more than happy to see Batman hang up his repelling hooks and leather body suit. Besides, he thinks Bruce Wayne can do the world more good than Batman can; especially an older and weathered Batman. But if it wasn't for those gosh darn meddling kids, Batman probably would have stayed out of this whole mess. Rookie police officer John Blake (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) knows the truth about Bruce Wayne. How? Well, you will have to watch the film for that; needless to say, I thought it was quite the stretch how he figures it out. Blake works for this film's resident jackass, Foley (Matthew Modine), who is angling to take over for an even more weathered Commissioner Gordon.

The Dark Knight Rises is a big film. I do not necessarily mean that in terms of its budget, its expected box office take, or the IMAX screen I saw it on. Just like The Dark Knight, its underlying philosophy is big. The script dives deeper than the ordinary first layer of is he a superhero or a vigilante? Perhaps Alfred is on to something that what the world needs is another philanthropic billionaire and not a guy hopping around town on his latest crazy gadget. The gadget this time is a kind of batwing, but is just odd looking and clunky. Bane also has his own philosophy, but it is more "We are the 99%" taken to the nth degree combined with a dash of mayhem and some spicy nuclear armageddon. I only understood about 80% of Bane's dialogue. There are times when he is truly hard to understand. He voice is amplified by a microphone and I think there is an Irish accent in there. This film is a fine capstone to Director Christopher Nolan's trilogy. It stays away from the campy, make fun of itself side ala Batman Forever and continues the effective choice from the previous film of an incredibly formidable enemy. Just like Heath Ledger's version of the Joker, Bane is not someone you take lightly. Batman can mess around with the Riddler and Mr. Freeze, but Bane would eat those two for breakfast.
  51. Jul 23, 2012
    Nolan ends his Batman trilogy in spectacular. TDKR is on a much grander scale than before with much higher stakes. So it makes sense that this is the most action-heavy of the three. Above all else the movie is a definite crowd pleaser. It succeeds at being a blockbuster with a relentless pace and fantastic set pieces while also giving us characters with real depth and an engaging story.Nolan ends his Batman trilogy in spectacular. TDKR is on a much grander scale than before with much higher stakes. So it makes sense that this is the most action-heavy of the three. Above all else the movie is a definite crowd pleaser. It succeeds at being a blockbuster with a relentless pace and fantastic set pieces while also giving us characters with real depth and an engaging story. It may not match the bar set by The Dark Knight but it remains a more than fitting conclusion to the saga. Expand
  52. Jul 29, 2012
    Overall it was a good film, however I feel the main flaw was the focus on New York city with a Terrorist plot, rather than a Gotham City with a Villain Plot much like the last 2 films.
  53. Jul 24, 2012
    A masterful conclusion to an amazing saga. By far it solidifies itself and the trilogy as one of the greatest Batman narratives. It's poignant, suspenseful, and scary. Bane is an amazing villain and Catwoman a compelling fem fatal. I could have used more Batman gadgetry and action, but the story is so thematically coherent and rich, that it was merely a realization at the end that I wantedA masterful conclusion to an amazing saga. By far it solidifies itself and the trilogy as one of the greatest Batman narratives. It's poignant, suspenseful, and scary. Bane is an amazing villain and Catwoman a compelling fem fatal. I could have used more Batman gadgetry and action, but the story is so thematically coherent and rich, that it was merely a realization at the end that I wanted not just more action, but more Batman. The acting is superb. Soundtrack perfect in the moment. And the conclusion... everything a Batman fan could want. Expand
  54. Jul 22, 2012
    7/10 It's still good but very lazy by Nolan's standards. It has a lot of nit picky bits for nitpickers to rip apart. Won't say what, because you will notice for yourself. The flow of the movie isn't the at the same caliber of the first two. Boobs Hathaway does a great Selina Kyle slash Catwoman. Doesn't ape Newmar or Pheiffer.
    JGL is actually the main star as you come to realise
    JGL is actually the main star as you come to realise because of the surprisingly short Bale screen time. He does a good job. Batman IMO is hardly in it at all!
    Bane is ok. Even though I gave this 7 and not 9 or 10. Don't let that put you off. It's still good. There are a few very big pay offs but its marred by irregular pacing and lazy execution. Its just so hard to top the first 2 though which if you are wondering... I rate both the previous films a 9 and a 10.
  55. Jul 21, 2012
    TDKR is not only one of the best films of the year, but of the decade, and all time! Each of Nolan's Batman films has brought something new. This one brings pain, it shows the struggles that Bruce Wayne must overcome is he is to rise and become the dark knight once more. The movie doesn't just wow us with amazing stunts (which it will) but it also asks important questions of the audience.TDKR is not only one of the best films of the year, but of the decade, and all time! Each of Nolan's Batman films has brought something new. This one brings pain, it shows the struggles that Bruce Wayne must overcome is he is to rise and become the dark knight once more. The movie doesn't just wow us with amazing stunts (which it will) but it also asks important questions of the audience. It is a slick human drama with amazing action centered around that. It is a little more far fetched than the previous installments but is still firmly planted in the world we live in. With out question this is the most exciting movie of the summer, not one frame of film feels forced or out of place. It is superhero nirvana, and film perfection. Thanks to amazing performances from Bale who is haunting as Wayne, and Joseph Gordon Levitt who steals many of the scenes he's in. You'll not find a better movie in a long while...At least not until Nolan's NEXT film! :-) Expand
  56. Aug 10, 2012
    ths one of the wonderfull movies in this year and the actors are very good, in fact Anne Hathaway impressed me because she is very good in this movie i love her caracter and the end is fantastic
  57. Aug 27, 2012
    THE DARK KNIGHT RISES is an exciting, well-made, well-performed and well directed finale that Batman and Nolan fans will surely love this near flawless and worthy conclusion to the well loved franchise.
  58. Nov 19, 2012
    This movie was a pretty big disappointment, especially for those hoping that a sequel to The Dark Knight would be just as good as that movie was. Most of the acting & story was extremely predictable & unexciting, most of the movie was just extremely bland which caused me to walk out about two and a half hours in to the movie the first time & the second time when I sat through the wholeThis movie was a pretty big disappointment, especially for those hoping that a sequel to The Dark Knight would be just as good as that movie was. Most of the acting & story was extremely predictable & unexciting, most of the movie was just extremely bland which caused me to walk out about two and a half hours in to the movie the first time & the second time when I sat through the whole thing it wasn't any better, not even the ending. Honestly, the Mtn Dew flavor for this movie was 50 times better than the movie itself. Expand
  59. Aug 14, 2012
    Nolan has made an absolute masterpiece on an epic scale. It may not be as good as the Dark Knight and doesn't have a performance like Ledgers, but it is far superior to every other movie out there.
  60. Jul 30, 2012
    The wait is over; Christopher Nolan brings his Batman trilogy to a thunderous close in The Dark Knight Rises. It
  61. Aug 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is about 50 minutes too long. My mind drifted during the long, cliche exposition. But the real fatal flaw is that Nolan takes all the magic out of Batman. Gone is the atmospheric Gotham, replaced by a shiny, normal, everyday modern city. Did you like the Bane story from the comics? It doesn't exist. Bane is a average terrorist. Gone is the Venom (NO VENOM?!?). The break out of all of Batman's former nemesis from Arkham Asylum doesn't happen. He just releases some regular prison inmates. The Bane story is one of my favorite stories in the Batman universe. I was totally disappointed with this film after imagining how cool it would be when Arkham fell and Bane pumped up with venom. Nolan shouldn't use the Batman name if he is going to ignore what Batman is all about.
    If you compare this film to the Avengers, a great superhero movie from this summer, that stayed true to the comics and had great dialog and special effects, you can imagine how cool Batman could have been, and just how far Nolan took Batman down.
    I just pray he doesn't destroy all the fun and "hero" aspect of Superman, but I am very worried.
  62. Jul 27, 2012
    Desde el inicio uno se queda maravillado por el personaje Bane, y creo que Nolan no pudo elegir mejor enemigo para cerrar la saga de la mejor manera. Una obra maravillosa de comienzo a fin que no tiene un segundo de desperdicio. Todos los actores cumplen con creces su rol y mas! Se transformara en un clásico del cine que nadie puede dejar de ver seas fan o no.
  63. Jul 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS :This movie is great I really enjoyed this movie you don't need joker you have bane tom hardy did an amazing job yeah I was really pissed you can barely understand bane but he was the prefect villain to test batman's strength ,agility and heart I was shocked that Miranda was actually Ra's al Ghu daughter but I was really confused when batman was supposedly dead and he was in the cafe with catwomen but I when I saw it again and noticed he got of the bat before it exploded with the bomb that bane was thinking of using to destroy Gotham I think their is going to be a robin movie because it finished with John Blake finding the bat cave so I don't know we will see Expand
  64. Aug 10, 2012
    Wannabe, wanna be, therefore it is. Let's face it: Dark Knight was good, a very good film, but frankly it was almost exclusively that good, because it was a sort of adaptation of Alan Moore's "Killing Joke" and because, despite the hysteria of Heath Ledger's dramatic and unfortunate death, The Joker was a great one, a master villain. I will not compare it with Jack Nicholson's because thatWannabe, wanna be, therefore it is. Let's face it: Dark Knight was good, a very good film, but frankly it was almost exclusively that good, because it was a sort of adaptation of Alan Moore's "Killing Joke" and because, despite the hysteria of Heath Ledger's dramatic and unfortunate death, The Joker was a great one, a master villain. I will not compare it with Jack Nicholson's because that one was exceptional. Ledger's was very good, almost excellent. The residual memory emerges from this point; people want "The Dark Knight Rises" to be a sequel of that excellency, as I did, as Nolan forced us to believe so... as some kind of religious belief keeping us blindly seeing the way it was supposed to be, but it wasn't. It wasn't indeed, as the first of Nolan's trilogy it was a disbelief and a mime of the second. Without a matured anti-hero, this Batman collapses.

Somewhere somehow if not already at the plane, I started to feel I was being fooled by the Hollywood machine, again and again; my "want it to be as so" was there no more, vanishing, while I gradually started to notice the annoying, repeating and exaggerated soundtrack pushing me for a critical pause. Hans Zimmer made me seriously question about everything in this movie, existentially, if indeed I was facing the terrifying possibility of seeing another 2 hours of hollowed clichés noised by a syrupy music... another disappointment to add. You name it, Star Wars, Prometheus, Conan... I tried, I really did, I even said to myself to take it easy at my criticism and expectation, but there was no emotion to attach with, instead the music was continuously persisting in forcing the spectator to delude himself that indeed there was, like a crazy frantic miraged dance going to nowhere subliming the emptiness.

Simply put, the narrative didn't allow me to empathize with the characters, all of it was forced like an hyperactive quest to push the audience for an illusion of a final master piece, an idea that would be preferable not to be discarded, like a comfortable thought as nice as a wall separating the movie from the spectator. We were comfortably eating popcorns nicely throwing the bags to the floor.

I didn't like Bate's Bat forced voice, I don't like his costume, I haven't felt jubilated when he arose from the ashes, I kept wondering about Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns": what a pale reflex this film was revealing itself, bad omen I was getting bored, I wondered about the time of the intermezzo that would never come. I felt myself observing a hysterical sequence of forced dramatic situations, not realism, not Bat's Gothic existentialism. There was no voyeurism, there was no personal attachment, there was no time to feel emotionally connected... there was right in front of your nose... another banal Hollywood film using a Batman's stamp, a "Bruce Wayne's" costume fairy tail.

You have to be given compassed storyline hidden behind a door's hole, like preparing for the battle tasting a good cup of old wine expecting the confronting dilemma of mirroring yourself, like Alan Moore's and Frank Miller's Batman art of questioning... not this artificial and plastic speaking dolls acting for a spoiled audience, for statistics and budget and major gross openings! Michael Caine, I would punch your nose, how could you let this happen?

Everyone speaks about Bale's voice... heck with it! But of course it's strange, but of course, you just have to wonder you are a human being deprived from your childhood, although a noble guardian of a child's innocence... his own lost one... no? Great potential, great inner thought, great professional and passionate commitment and study, Tom Hardy's personification... but not properly explored by his director. You weren't given time or you weren't properly presented to his drama simply put. It was illustrated as just another sketched brute villain, with an Ah...! here he is, surpassed by the next one, Ah... here he is no more... and after a Oh...! a magical ethereal Batman is again, with his darn forced bad ass voice, right from the canonic pit of the survivors to smack the forces of evil.

I won't spoil the storytelling although I was spoiled by this film's lack of depth rich of busted expectations. Like every popcorn movie, this one innovates itself... it's Gothic an it has wings; obviously satisfies one's expectation behaving as just as commonly as a epidermic chain of pretentious tragic sensations, clichés, totally predicted and totally comfortable. And don't tell me this is just a comic movie, don't be so intellectual you say... Oh yes? Don't throw me that load of crap, because Nolan wanted this trilogy to surpass the previous ones using as trump two of the most darker comic book authors: Alan Moore and Frank Miller. If anything was to be expected, it was fulfilling expectations!
  65. Jul 26, 2012
    did you know why this movie is awesome?? BECAUSE IS BATMAN!!!!
  66. Aug 13, 2012
    The final installment in Christopher Nolan's trilogy of Batman movies has a lot of things going for it. The usage of practical effects, the entertaining performances from Anne Hathaway and Tom Hardy, and the sometimes brilliant action sequences (particularly in the film's opening) can be exhilarating. However, the whole affair feels like a cobbled together mess with a script that neverThe final installment in Christopher Nolan's trilogy of Batman movies has a lot of things going for it. The usage of practical effects, the entertaining performances from Anne Hathaway and Tom Hardy, and the sometimes brilliant action sequences (particularly in the film's opening) can be exhilarating. However, the whole affair feels like a cobbled together mess with a script that never feels like it progressed beyond its first initial rough draft. The sound mixing is extremely wonky, the pacing is all over the place, and the story has way too many plot holes for the supposedly "realistic" world that Nolan is presenting. That's not to say the other films didn't, but the previous installments weren't heavily burdened with the hammy dialogue, inconsistent characters, and the hokey undeserved ending this movie had. Ultimately, this opinion is in the minority and people really seem to like this movie. That's great for them. But it in the opinion of this reviewer that the franchise deserved and needed a far better conclusion than this highly disappointing third act to an otherwise great series of movies. Expand
  67. Jul 21, 2012
    another master piece from the mind of nolan 2h 44 minutes of genius excitement at every corner but it has things that the dark doesn't have twists that's the reason why I gave it a grat score not as good on a cinematic level as dark knight but the shocks you get from the film are amazing best film of the year top avengers and prometheus
  68. Jul 21, 2012
    i havent given review to any movie but this is an excellent movie Spectacular end to a trilogy.Chris Nolan proved that he is one of the top direct'r.....
  69. Jul 21, 2012
    Nolan has crafted a spectacular finale to one of the best trilogies ever. Sure it doesn
  70. Jul 21, 2012
    Enorme película!! Sin duda es un gran cierre a la mejor trilogía jamás echa sobre superhéroes. Personalmente me pareció mejor "the dark knight" por eso mi nota real seria de 9 mejor dicho de 9'5...pero viendo las criticas injustificadas le daré un 10.
  71. Jul 21, 2012
    most awesome movie ever........................................................................10/10.
    please do watch it.........................................
  72. Jul 21, 2012
    I think, in my opinion it was the best movie I've ever seen. Incredible finish to an incredible trilogy, it added a layer of sophistication to comic book movies that has never been done before and will hopefully lead to a new generation of comic book movies. Congratulations Christopher & Co. Looking forward to seeing where Syncopy goes from here.
  73. Jul 21, 2012
    Not only was it even better than The Dark Knight, it was probably the best movie I have seen in my entire life. The story was gripping and tense, the characters were incredibly well acted (even the much doubted Anne Hathaway did an exceptional depiction of Selina Kyle) and the ending was just the most satisfying feeling after the movie had you on the edge of your seat throughout. The movieNot only was it even better than The Dark Knight, it was probably the best movie I have seen in my entire life. The story was gripping and tense, the characters were incredibly well acted (even the much doubted Anne Hathaway did an exceptional depiction of Selina Kyle) and the ending was just the most satisfying feeling after the movie had you on the edge of your seat throughout. The movie was 160 minutes, yet felt like it flew past with incredible speed.

I'm even going to go as far as to say Bane was an even better villain than Heath Ledger's Joker. He wasn't as well acted, but as a match up to Batman, he provided more of a challenge.

I've read a lot of reviews, and any of the negative ones are rubbish. Clearly done by people who have never paid attention to anything Batman related, apart from the movies and complained about the amount of new characters being introduced. Anyone who actually read Batman comics, watched animated movies and TV series or played the Arkham Asylum/City games will have known the new characters introduced, and the impact meant more to them within the story.
  74. Jul 21, 2012
    This is how you end a trilogy. Nolan, executes with almost sheer perfection. Are there areas where I felt it could have been done better? Yes. Can I still look past those and enjoy the epic saga as a whole? Definitely. This is not a typical superhero movie, while most people may find the storyline little hard to follow and convoluted, but those who know, loved the comics and theirThis is how you end a trilogy. Nolan, executes with almost sheer perfection. Are there areas where I felt it could have been done better? Yes. Can I still look past those and enjoy the epic saga as a whole? Definitely. This is not a typical superhero movie, while most people may find the storyline little hard to follow and convoluted, but those who know, loved the comics and their characters, can relate where Nolan tried to take this. It is a beautiful movie, and you feel attached to most of the characters and their personalities. Unlike in other superhero movies where everyone tries to be funny with stereotypical one-liners, all gung-ho and win it all at the end of the day, Dark Knight Rises and it predecessors were unique in the sense that it's not only about triumph over evil. It's more than that. It's more about loss, sacrifices, perseverance, consequences and failures that is associated with it.

Nolan, I would like to thank you for the gift that you have given us Batman fans. The gift that we can savor for many many years to come. I wish you'd continue to make more Bat movie because as of now you left most of us hungry for more.
  75. Jul 21, 2012
    epic. certainly these three batman movies form a whole, this being my favorite, definitely a perfect ending. as said another film critic batman trilogy does this child look around the marvel universe
  76. Jul 21, 2012
    This is truly the best movie of all time. The reason I say this is because it delivers the perfect ending and brilliant storyline to the most anticipated Batman movie of all time, and the most anticipated ending to a trilogy of all time. The opening scene/s are jaw dropping and is/are the perfect way to start the Dark Knight Rises. A top of the line cast, with terrific performances fromThis is truly the best movie of all time. The reason I say this is because it delivers the perfect ending and brilliant storyline to the most anticipated Batman movie of all time, and the most anticipated ending to a trilogy of all time. The opening scene/s are jaw dropping and is/are the perfect way to start the Dark Knight Rises. A top of the line cast, with terrific performances from each and every one of them. Christopher Nolan does a fantastic job of delivering a perfect plot that is deep yet perfectly poised and told. The visual effects as well as the overall climax and sheer power of each scene are second to none. Tom Hardy, Bane really is the ultimate villain, second only to Heath Ledger, The Joker. An incredible experience that keeps all of the true faithful Batman fans beyond happy, along with all other viewers happy and thrilled due to the great acting, plot, and execution. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises truly is an untouchable trilogy that tops the list among all the others. Christian Bale is Batman, and this film is without a doubt a masterpiece beyond the limits of what we all thought was achievable. The Dark Knight Rises is the ultimate experience. Expand
  77. Jul 22, 2012
    Christopher Nolan reinvents Batman in a powerful and much darker way. Batman Begins is a gripping and compelling origin of the hero. The Dark Knight is a lot more serious, realistic, and powerful Batman movie. The Dark Knight Rises is the last of the series. It is ought to be larger and better. It does succeed to be the biggest of the rest of the series. Although, it's not as as superiorChristopher Nolan reinvents Batman in a powerful and much darker way. Batman Begins is a gripping and compelling origin of the hero. The Dark Knight is a lot more serious, realistic, and powerful Batman movie. The Dark Knight Rises is the last of the series. It is ought to be larger and better. It does succeed to be the biggest of the rest of the series. Although, it's not as as superior as The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight Rises is still a fantastic and grand cinematic experience.

Every sequel gets bigger and bigger. The threats are getting worse and worse. The Dark Knight Rises is more than just big stuff. There is always suspense that keeps the movie exciting. The best thing about the action is it's not about being pretentiously cool, but it is made to give you anxiety to the fights of Batman between the enemy. Tom Hardy nailed it as Bane. He brings a lot of fear and menace to it. It's different to The Joker but Bane is an intriguing villain.

Most of the movie is the anarchy in Gotham and Bruce Wayne's suffering. There isn't much action fighting in those scenes. What matters here is how you can feel the danger of the characters. The chaotic turn of Gotham really looks bleak and grim that makes you think everybody is doomed. Compelling and heartbreaking emotions is always there.

Much credit goes to Christopher Nolan. Despite from its almost three hour run time, the film is well fast paced and completely entertaining. His action scenes are totally different to the action scenes of movies these days. He's focused to the thrills than looking cool. Some fistfights can be a little underwhelming, but he's best at the chase scenes. The CGI is obviously good and not excessive.

The Dark Knight Rises is a lot more daring than anyone would expect. It's one of those superhero movies that cares more to heroism than just action. The scale is large and it is so explosive. That is the usual formula of all blockbusters, but here, it uses it in a darker and suspenseful way. The Dark Knight Rises is just beyond your expectations. It's also a fitting end of this amazing trilogy. I still think The Dark Knight is the best of the three. That movie is something you can't compare to any other film. Even this and Batman Begins. But hey, The Dark Knight Rises is such an excellent grand experience.
  78. Sep 1, 2012
    This movie is awesome.Better than The Avengers and The Hunger Games.Too much action.It's incredible the action.I thought that there isn't a hope.But it has a hope.
  79. Jul 25, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises has everything. The dark, serious tone used throughout the trilogy, amazing acting performances, a great plot that supports its nearly 3 hour run-time, and enough explosions and awesome fight scenes to satisfy action junkies. It ends Christopher Nolan's perfect superhero trilogy, in a perfect and memorable way.
  80. Jul 27, 2012
    A sequel to "The Dark Knight" is a challenge by definition, since it's extremely difficult to surpass the film's incredible plot and majestic performances (especially Heath Ledger's). "The Dark Knight Rises" surprisingly manages to live up to its formidable predecessor with excellent visual and sound effects and new characters with a storyline that will leave the audience completelyA sequel to "The Dark Knight" is a challenge by definition, since it's extremely difficult to surpass the film's incredible plot and majestic performances (especially Heath Ledger's). "The Dark Knight Rises" surprisingly manages to live up to its formidable predecessor with excellent visual and sound effects and new characters with a storyline that will leave the audience completely thrilled and entertained. Expand
  81. Jul 27, 2012
    One word to describe this movie is EPIC. It completes The Dark Knight Trilogy perfectly, even though Bane is not as great as a character as the Joker, the character was still amazing. Highly recommended.
  82. Jul 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most who rated this mixed have nailed it: it's a good movie in general but it is the worst movie of the Dark Knight trilogy.

The movie is very uneven. The first half was pretty intriguing with the introduction of the characters and the plot unfolding whereas the second half seemed rushed and rather unimaginative (oh! a nuclear bomb!), filled with plot holes and unecessary and uninteresting scenes. The movie is nearly 3 hours long but I didn't feel like there were much going on (not like in the case of The Dark Knight, for example). This is because of the lack of memorable moments in this movie -- there are lots of different stuff going on but nothing really important or intriguing. There is too superfluous characters: Robin shouldn't be in the movie; nor this lady who turned out to be the evil mastermind (I didn't even care enough to remember her name). The movie should have focused more on Bane, Catwomen and Batman. Robin took way too much screen time but didn't actually add true value to the story. (What's funny was that I was actually surprised that he was really Robin since I said to myself it can't be that obvious.) They put Robin in there obviously because they plan to make more Batman movies. I guess The Dark Knight Rises is victim of greed. Anothing thing superflous, boring and rather stupid: the entire time Bruce Wayne spent in that hole/prison. They should have completely eliminated that part of the story. That is precious screen time where we don't see Batman. Bruce fixing his broken back in prison was totally ridiculous. It is frustrating so little we are seeing of the Bat in this movie. Furthermore, aside from the first fight with Bane, the few other Batman presences were underwhelming, especially his final appearance. Most of the time, he's sitting in his flying machine or on his bike. Bane: another big disappointment. The voice was terrible. I thought it was just me but judging from the comments, I wasn't alone having difficulty understanding what Bane was saying. The development of the Bane character was a major element in the uneveness of this movie. Up until the first fight with Batman, I had this marvel towards the character. After that fight, it seems the development of the character just abruptly stopped. It's as if once he broke Batman, there's nothing left to be said about Bane. Bane was frustratingly under-developed and under-utilized. Also, the fact that that woman was actually the mastermind behind the evil plot and how Bane was dealt with contributed in significantly diminishing the super-villain's "character value".

Finally, a better ending would have Batman really sacrificing himself to save Gotham and have the young detective (Robin) become the new Batman. That would have given the movie a much needed and appropriate dark tint. But as usual with Hollywood, it prefers the perfect all is good and well ending.

All in all, Rises is a mediocre movie by Nolan's standard. He should have waited for a more polished script before working on this one but I can imagine he may be subject to pressure from the business people.
  83. Jul 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After seeing this movie the first time, it was almost surreal. I had been waiting so long for it and when it was finally over it was almost sad knowing that Nolan's really done making his interpretation of Batman. That being said, I will not be one of those people that compare it to The Dark Knight. This was a whole different movie in itself, as The Dark Knight was a completely different movie than Batman Begins. My only gripe after watching this movie was that the almost 3 hour runtime almost didn't seem like enough. There was a LOT of story told in a very brisk pace. This movie certainly warrants two views. After watching it the second time, I was really able to sit back and take in the plot points forming around all the characters. I found this movie emotionally gripping to a large degree. The first fight between Bane and Batman was so intense yet satisfying being that the first comic series I ever read was the Knightfall saga. My favorite scenes had to be Bruce escaping the well finally as well as well as the ending which was infinitely satisfying. The flashback to Gordon putting the coat around a young Bruce Wayne in the film's end was stirring to me. This movie was not Oscar worthy, but it is by far the best movie I have seen this year. Being that Batman has always been my favorite superhero, it is saddening to me that this trilogy is finally over due to the fact that I don't believe any director will ever explore the Bruce/Batman and is surrounding world so vividly and deep. Christopher Nolan has done such a great job emotionally investing the audience with these characters. I heard sniffles all around when Alfred was crying at Bruce Wayne's tombstone. All in all, this was just a fantastic movie. Expand
  84. Jul 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The one thing I will admit is that the film isn't as good as the dark knight, but other than that I really enjoyed it, the twists in the film were really entertaining and kept me wondering what the next step for the plot was, not one point in the film was I off the edge of my seat.
    Also I thought every actor gave a performance to be proud of with perfect timing and emotion.
    Nolan should be proud of this masterpiece, best film of 2012 so far.
  85. Jul 29, 2012
    As someone who adores Batman Begins and The Dark Knight I had high hopes for The Dark Knight Rises. Unfortunately, I found it very disappointing for several reasons. For one, Tom Hardy's Bane is largely inaudible throughout. Also, if I'm being honest, I think his voice sounds a bit camp at times too. He's a great actor and capable of playing brooding, menacing characters well (seeAs someone who adores Batman Begins and The Dark Knight I had high hopes for The Dark Knight Rises. Unfortunately, I found it very disappointing for several reasons. For one, Tom Hardy's Bane is largely inaudible throughout. Also, if I'm being honest, I think his voice sounds a bit camp at times too. He's a great actor and capable of playing brooding, menacing characters well (see Bronson if you don't believe me!), which makes his performance in TDKR all the more disappointing and frustrating in equal measure.
    Secondly, this film is loaded with plot holes. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight have a fair few, but nowhere near as many as this one does. Furthermore, Hans Zimmer's score is incredibly irritating - it seems to be playing in the background of almost every scene and is increasingly distracting. Bane and Batman's one-on-one fights look, and feel, as if they have been choreographed by wrestlers from WWE. They lack any intensity or suspense. TDKR moves at such an unforgiving pace that it's hard to absorb everything that happens. Ultimately, as a result of this, the film lacks any emotional depth. We don't feel for Bruce Wayne here in the same way we do for him in BB or TDK.
    Fortunately though, it isn't all bad. Anne Hathaway plays the role of Selina Kyle well enough, conveying a sense of playful mischief, and Michael Caine is excellent as Alfred.
    But, I had been waiting years for this film and had been expecting an entertaining and enthralling conclusion to Chris Nolan's Batman trilogy, but left the movie theatre feeling exhausted and dejected by its failings.
  86. Jul 30, 2012
    Simply the best...better than all the rest!!! this movie right here had me on the edge of my seat the whole entire film..I was literally amazed at hw excellent The Dark Knight Rises is such an involving story of seeing our favorite hero rise..go see this as many times as u deem necessary lets all make this the biggest movie of all time!! i have already seen it twice and the 2nd time reallySimply the best...better than all the rest!!! this movie right here had me on the edge of my seat the whole entire film..I was literally amazed at hw excellent The Dark Knight Rises is such an involving story of seeing our favorite hero rise..go see this as many times as u deem necessary lets all make this the biggest movie of all time!! i have already seen it twice and the 2nd time really let me know..this is the best movie of any kind i have ever seen and nw iam ready for my third viewing in the IMAX .Christopher Nolan u are a genius Expand
  87. Jul 31, 2012
    Outstanding movie! I was not expecting much, with the Joker gone, but it totally defeated my expectations. The villain was interesting, the back story was fascinating, and had some great new characters. The ending of this movie was AMAZING. I alternately cried, laughed and gaped in awe at the ending of this movie. The only downside (if it can be considered that), is how long the movie is,Outstanding movie! I was not expecting much, with the Joker gone, but it totally defeated my expectations. The villain was interesting, the back story was fascinating, and had some great new characters. The ending of this movie was AMAZING. I alternately cried, laughed and gaped in awe at the ending of this movie. The only downside (if it can be considered that), is how long the movie is, but it's worth it for the content. Don't get up partway through for the bathroom, you don't want to miss a thing. Expand
  88. Aug 1, 2012
    I liked the first one, loved the second one, and was bored through this third installment in a what is now, in my opinion, mediocre trilogy.

The performances were well played. The cinematic grandeur was there. The pomp and style was pompy, and stylized. The plot, however, was a mix of rehashed sentiment from the first movie, and what I can only describe as random stuff. I wanted to like this film, but I didn't -get it-. I didn't know what the motivation was. Why so many characters knew so much about things they shouldn't have known about. Why there was so much drive, motivation, from certain characters. I saw the performance play out, I understood what had just happened, but I still never knew the why?

So much emotion wrapped unnecessarily in inexplicable actions. If I had missed this movie, I wouldn't have noticed.
  89. Jul 31, 2012
    This movie stands out as a great film, even with some plot holes and the bad guys in the film did have an absurd evil plan, but it does meshes well with the other two former movies to create a perfect trilogy.
  90. Aug 6, 2012
    The dark Night rises was not worth the watch the lighting of my wallet was considerably noticeable after this film. Bruce Wayne does not lose cartilage, he doesn't allow a maid to rob him blind unnoticed and he certainly doesn't get thrown in a hole. Poor movie expected more the fact that there was only one point in the movie that actually caught me off guard means the dark night risesThe dark Night rises was not worth the watch the lighting of my wallet was considerably noticeable after this film. Bruce Wayne does not lose cartilage, he doesn't allow a maid to rob him blind unnoticed and he certainly doesn't get thrown in a hole. Poor movie expected more the fact that there was only one point in the movie that actually caught me off guard means the dark night rises should have stayed in bed. Expected more. Expand
  91. Aug 18, 2012
    A 2 hour and 45 minute movie that will span greatness to the world. The Dark Knight Rises is not only one of the BEST films I have ever seen, it is the BEST superhero film ever made. I have never shivered because of a villain in any movie. Bane made me shiver. Tom Hardy did an excellent job playing such an evil part. The twists were just as great. By far though, the star of the movie wasA 2 hour and 45 minute movie that will span greatness to the world. The Dark Knight Rises is not only one of the BEST films I have ever seen, it is the BEST superhero film ever made. I have never shivered because of a villain in any movie. Bane made me shiver. Tom Hardy did an excellent job playing such an evil part. The twists were just as great. By far though, the star of the movie was Anne Hathaway for her stunning performance as Selina Kyle/Catwoman. She played the role like she has been that person her whole life. Absolutely stunning. My only complaint was that they didn't include Bane's backstory, but other than that, this film was a site to behold. Christian Bale did his finest work as the playboy billionaire turned hero Bruce Wayne/Batman. David S. Goyer wrote a fantastic story as well. The end of the movie was a total cliffhanger also. Everybody in the theater thought this may actually be the end, but turns out, it may not be the end. Here comes sequels... Christopher Nolan, you have done it again. Expand
  92. Dec 29, 2012
    Shockingly inept storytelling, especially given how solid the first two Nolan Batman films were. The cinematography and direction are as gorgeous as they were in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but the story is a complete wreck. A bit of creative license is needed for even the grittiest superhero film, but TDKR treats viewers like their IQs top out at 68. Nothing makes a whit of sense,Shockingly inept storytelling, especially given how solid the first two Nolan Batman films were. The cinematography and direction are as gorgeous as they were in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but the story is a complete wreck. A bit of creative license is needed for even the grittiest superhero film, but TDKR treats viewers like their IQs top out at 68. Nothing makes a whit of sense, the pacing is terrible, and the movie wastes Tom Hardy behind and mask and a ridiculous voice. A few energetic action sequences and Anne Hathaway's fun performance (and amazing figure in that suit) keep it from being a complete failure, but it's terribly close. Even Alfred's speeches are tiresome in this one. I just watched it for a second time, and it somehow makes even less sense than the first time around. Nolan tried to dress up an incredibly weak screenplay with lots of bells and whistles, but it's all empty noise. Expand
  93. Jan 11, 2013
    The dark night rises is the worst movie it is so random that lady is bad and bane talks funny avengers is way better and the this Batman was a mistake shame Christopher Nolan.
  94. Jul 21, 2012
    Okay, I get what they were aiming for...they just missed. Rather than tell a Batman story, the producers and writers told an elaborate and convoluted Death Wish story. The plot was overblown where it didn't need to be. Bane is goofy and inconsistent as a villain and there is no idealogical center to this picture. Considering the end of the film some of the histrionics that take placeOkay, I get what they were aiming for...they just missed. Rather than tell a Batman story, the producers and writers told an elaborate and convoluted Death Wish story. The plot was overblown where it didn't need to be. Bane is goofy and inconsistent as a villain and there is no idealogical center to this picture. Considering the end of the film some of the histrionics that take place (Alfred, I'm talking about you) don't really make any sense. I feel like we've run around in endless circles in this movie just to go a very short distance. The movie just doesn't really get it right. It is still entertaining, it just isn't Batman. Even standing alone, not comparing otto Dark Knight is just isn't that good. Sorry. Expand
  95. Jul 23, 2012
    This should be added to the list of over hyped movies that sucked. It was not about batman, the movie was about cat woman and robin and a whole lot of useless characters. What a waste of time. Batman had 2 fist fights in the movie, that's all the action you get. He either runs away scared or gets his ass kicked. Watched batman begins and TDK and was really excited to watch this movie. ButThis should be added to the list of over hyped movies that sucked. It was not about batman, the movie was about cat woman and robin and a whole lot of useless characters. What a waste of time. Batman had 2 fist fights in the movie, that's all the action you get. He either runs away scared or gets his ass kicked. Watched batman begins and TDK and was really excited to watch this movie. But the movie just sucked..on par with Prometheus! I did not pay money to watch a sissy batman movie with no action. Period. Expand
  96. Jul 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Warning contains spoilers! Questionable choices made by the director in this plot the feel of the movie was very much like the others which is good but 'Bane' as the main badie always left a question mark over my head when I saw the trailers when there are much more complex characters in the batman saga. I did enjoy how bane was acted his voice was strange but very much what has been heard of before in cartoons and games. However none of his back story was explained why did he get hooked up to a blood transfusion in the underground base he had why did he have the mask that made him sound so strange? Bane in the comics is supposed to be smart, intelligent and the Venom he uses makes him super strong not enough back story for this prominent leading character. Also where was Batman "the world greatest detective" that we had seen in the previous films, using expensive innovative detective methods was exchanged for big explosions and the bat plane. Ra's al ghul plot of bane completing his work because he his his supposed son only for everyone to find out its actually Talia was predictable to anyone who know the comics, has played any of the games and can spot bad acting!, Right from when she first gets introduced she, its easily to tell shes not who she says she is. This film is entertaining but frustrating if you are a fan Expand
  97. Jul 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A bitter disappointment and awful ending to a brilliant trilogy, the movie was so boring and lengthy that I considered to leave the cinema. The script was predictable at some points and the acting was so poor amongst some of the actors. Anne Hathaway was horrible, she was not convincing at all and her outfit looked like a cheap halloween costume. Bane, the main villain of this movie was killed in a split second and everything was forgotten about him, that's it. It's like the script writers wanted this movie to end quickly as possible at this point of the movie. The actress playing Miranda who appears to be Ra's Al Ghul's daughter Talia should get the award for worst death presentation, it was some of the worst acting I have ever seen, you can tell that she is acting. It's like she is taking a nap for crying out loud. Blake who appears to be Robin gets access to the Batman cave and all the high tech stuff that is in there, but he didn't recieve any training at all so he wouldn't know how to use it. Robin is just an ordinary cop in this movie with no combat skills, yet Bruce Wayne gives away the cave to him and settles down with the supposed Catwoman. Expand
  98. Jul 26, 2012
    Wow, I really wasn't expecting this. After all the hype, after knowing it was going to be the last batman movie made by Nolan, the movie just couldnt deliver, at all. And srsly I wanted to like it, I really tried, but after some horrible scenes and dialogues I couldn't lie to myself anymore.

I can't understand how this movie is getting such high reviews and by so many people... It makes no sense. The movie was a plotless mess with too much wasted budget. They didn't know what to do with so much money and decided to make up a load of random crap to fill in.

From beginning to end, there was nothing to like. The annoying conversations with Alfred, the horrible plot twists, the useless police march at the end (why not just drop a bomb in the middle of it?), the everlasting Morgan Freeman (always the same role and acting), Anne Hathaway (horrible choice for catwoman), the lame speech at the stadium, the over the top loud music, but above everything, the was no plot or story.

It worries me that so many people are loving it. This proves that anyone can produce a successful movie as long as there is huge hype, budget and fanboyism around it. People are going to love it either way.

Im not at all a hater, in fact I loved the second movie and TDKR was not even remotely close to it. I dont want to insult the people who liked this movie, but this was a very dumb movie, with too many plot holes ( e.g. Bruce leg problem magically healed in jail?) to mention all of them.

The good parts? I guess the explosion of the football stadium was cool. I walked out pissed and confused about why so few people disliked it.

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.