8.4

1. Dec 26, 2012
    How could people compare this to the Avengers? The Avengers was a kids movie with horribly bad writing, uninspired acting, and extremely convoluted action scenes. The Dark Knight Rises on the other hand did have inspired acting, a script that was above average for any action film, and was built around action that made sense, and was creative. The Dark Knight Rises was a perfect 10 out ofHow could people compare this to the Avengers? The Avengers was a kids movie with horribly bad writing, uninspired acting, and extremely convoluted action scenes. The Dark Knight Rises on the other hand did have inspired acting, a script that was above average for any action film, and was built around action that made sense, and was creative. The Dark Knight Rises was a perfect 10 out of 10 when compared to other films in the big, epic, action adventure genre. Add to this a story that ended the series perfectly, and I have to say that I was 100% satisfied by this film. The only reason that I am giving it a 9 instead of a 10 is because the script, as in all epic, action, adventure films, could have been better. Expand
  2. Jul 27, 2012
    This movie was a huge let down and I am not sure why most critics are letting this movie slide and giving it epic status. There are some major problems. That's not to say this is a bad movie but it's not what we have come to expect from a film maker who prides himself on story and detail. I didn't need this to be Dark Knight and I don't need Heath Ledger for this movie to be excellent.This movie was a huge let down and I am not sure why most critics are letting this movie slide and giving it epic status. There are some major problems. That's not to say this is a bad movie but it's not what we have come to expect from a film maker who prides himself on story and detail. I didn't need this to be Dark Knight and I don't need Heath Ledger for this movie to be excellent. What we got was subpar and frankly I can't believe more people aren't pissed. Besides the movie being all over the place here is a list of grievances:

1.In this universe Batman has only been Batman for 2-3 years max. Thus he is not Batman through his mid 30
  3. Jul 20, 2012
    Forget my last review...I gave the movie a 9...and it truly is a piece of art only Nolan can craft...and yhea, WAY better then Marvel's The Avengers!
  4. Jul 22, 2012
    It isn't very often that a film takes to the time to develop characters, their motivation, and the setting for the viewer to understand the who, what, and why. When a film does this, it needs to be complimented and acknowledged for doing so. This is one of those films. I felt personally connected to all of the characters, did not see the ending coming, and was fully engrossed throughoutIt isn't very often that a film takes to the time to develop characters, their motivation, and the setting for the viewer to understand the who, what, and why. When a film does this, it needs to be complimented and acknowledged for doing so. This is one of those films. I felt personally connected to all of the characters, did not see the ending coming, and was fully engrossed throughout the 2-1/2 hours. Awesome conclusion to an unforgettable story. Expand
  5. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises and there's a whole lot of talkin' goin' on. Admittedly, nothing could live up to the hype this things gotten so I tried - I really tried - to put all that aside. But the sad fact is this thing is a snooze.
    There is back story after back story in this movie as you learn and re-learn the histories of each character. And, while I promise you no spoilers, what really gets me is , if any of the so-called twists in the plot come as a surprise to you this must be the first movie you've ever seen. I'm not a fan boy and I don't demand fealty to the Holy Writ of the comic book origins, so I'll say making Bane wear that stupid mask was, well, stupid. This is a movie, he's an actor, you need to see his face!
    Anne Hathaway and Marion Cotilard are classic beauties and just watching them on screen is a pleasure just not worth all this hyperbole. The rest of the cast are very talented actors as well.
    So why a low rating? Well, I can't really tell you without giving spoilers and I promise not to do that. So let me just say if you must see this movie, wait a week or two for the lines to die down and go in promising yourself you ask no logical questions at all. None. Zip. Zilch.
    Just sit, eat your popcorn, slurp your cola and let the illogical, predictable plot flow over you.
  6. Jul 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Now that I've seen The Dark Knight Rises.... where do I begin. In no way/shape/form is this a knock at Batman. Im sure theres great and good material and media for Batman over the years. I'm not a batman fan of any sort, but I thought the 2008 Dark knight was OK, as well as some of the other Batman material. If I were a fan, I would be insulted and furious of the movie I just watched. It was nearly complete garbage. It's obvious that Christopher Nolan doesn't want to do them anymore... it felt more like a obligation to Warner Bros. than any real interest. If he wants to do a Inception sequel... thats fine. Do an Inception sequel... but dont do a half ass batman movie just because your studio and production companies want to profit from the name. And, there was a huge Inception-like feel to this Batman. Actors, music, atmosphere, etc. So it's apparent he cant get Inception off his mind long enough to worry about making anything but. The entire movie was a cluster **** Disorganized, hard to follow, a plot that had holes as big as atomic explosions, downright laughable acting and character voices. Trying to be intimidated by Banes voice was like try to be scared of Barney the dinosaur. Batman still sounded like he sucked a big ole BBC the night before or had throat cancer. Even the combat and fight scenes felt cheaply done and over-the-top. The movie felt like it was done on a low budget... the sequences slapped together, in no real fashionable order, and the story made you scratch your head (Batman is in New York in the middle of a brawl in one scene, and then wakes up in a prison in the middle east... are you kidding me?). The entire threat felt unrealistic and batman was a sissy. The only real reason to watch this, ironcally, was for Cat woman. She was the real anti-Hero of the show, and a suprsingly great performance by Anne Hathway (and a down right sexy one too). But you could even sense her frustation on screen having to act along side such goofy characters. I'll have to admit, the last 30 minutes were the best. Sadly, myself and 2 friends nearly walked out before that.. and it wouldn't have been a great lost of any movie memories even if we had. We decided to stay more for the humor of such a poorly done film. Sadly, it appears the popularity of this movie has become the pinnacle of American filmography.... I was sickened to see the level of popularity such a crap movie has gained. I really have no faith in society if this is what they deem a 'great american classic". I'll give it 5/10 stars simply because the ending was mediocre and Hathways stealthy performance. Expand
  7. Jul 29, 2012
    Most film trilogies have the same problem: the last film puts too much focus on concluding the series, and as a result, they are often inferrior to their predecessors. The Dark Knight Rises has absolutely none of the elements that make Batman films so much fun to watch. There are not enough action scenes to keep you interested, and the characters have some of the most awkward voices ever.Most film trilogies have the same problem: the last film puts too much focus on concluding the series, and as a result, they are often inferrior to their predecessors. The Dark Knight Rises has absolutely none of the elements that make Batman films so much fun to watch. There are not enough action scenes to keep you interested, and the characters have some of the most awkward voices ever. Batman sounds like he has throat cancer, Bane sounds like an old man and Bruce Wayne sounds like a redneck. Catwoman is the only character I enjoyed watching.

The story is very bland, even by Batman standards. It's your typical "villian puts town in danger and the hero must stop him" story, but with a rather odd twist that just drags things on even more. The rarity of action scenes, "dramatic" moments that lack any real drama, and painfully slow pacing make this the worst Batman film since Batman & Robin.
  8. Dec 6, 2012
    Every scene in this movie looks and feels awkward.The characters are lifeless, bloodless - and what exactly is the plot ? There is not an ounce of humor in the entire movie. The villain and his ridiculous mask, Christian Bale again as a complete miscast, Anne Hathaway's awful acting, Michael Caine's annoying accent, all that makes for an experience you want to forget about.
  9. Jul 29, 2012
    Self-indulgent. Don't get me wrong, there was many solid ideas and well filmed sequences just about as badly executed as a student film with a giant budget. The middle 90 minutes is basicly... the bad guy is bad, he is really bad, he is really, really bad... and so it goes for 90 minutes. I saw people sleeping in the theater. Rent it, see the first 30 minutes and the last 2 minutes.Self-indulgent. Don't get me wrong, there was many solid ideas and well filmed sequences just about as badly executed as a student film with a giant budget. The middle 90 minutes is basicly... the bad guy is bad, he is really bad, he is really, really bad... and so it goes for 90 minutes. I saw people sleeping in the theater. Rent it, see the first 30 minutes and the last 2 minutes. Everything else is the director's ego on the screen and his inability to edit. Can you say Matrix 3? Expand
  10. Aug 4, 2012
    Completely empty and meaningless. If you are a sheep, go to this movie. Otherwise, almost any movie in any theatre will be better than this one. Awful.
  11. Jul 23, 2012
    This was the least enjoyable of the trilogy. It all starts with Baine. He is a villian that need to be in a slasher film not a comic book film. He is too grim with no personality that you desire to have much film time. The Joker was a villian where you desired a lot of film time. One of my criticisms of the last film was that the lack of one on one time with Batman and the Joker. Too muchThis was the least enjoyable of the trilogy. It all starts with Baine. He is a villian that need to be in a slasher film not a comic book film. He is too grim with no personality that you desire to have much film time. The Joker was a villian where you desired a lot of film time. One of my criticisms of the last film was that the lack of one on one time with Batman and the Joker. Too much of the action takes place in daylight or in grim settings. What happened to the extravagence of the world of Bruce Wayne? That is replaced by the sewer? One was always looking forward to the next scene in the other two movies but not here. One was also disappointed by the lack of freshness. The batmobile and the batcopter seemed worn out. The series seemed worn out. Nolan gets great credit for the trilogy but he runs out of gas here. This was a blue collar Batman. Expand
  12. Jul 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. TDKR is even more of a bloated, over-confident and self-important piece than TDK. While BB introduced us to a darker, more grounded version of the comic character, the sequels more and more drifted towards a tone of drama and over-complicated storytelling that adds weblike structures without really needing them.
    TDKR has a very simple story that is made up to look complex by shttering the movie into myriads of scenes, characters and events that all could be shown in a more simple and coherent fashion. Its Nolan's style You could say, and I would say "Right, but I am tired of it".
    This Batman series said what it had to say with part one, the rest is just repetitive and less surprising, and, to my dismay, starts to show plotholes and irritating events to add fillers.
    Batman himself was never stronger than in TDK, lets not forget that he is a detective, not a soldier or someone on a vendetta, his powers are the mind, the observation, the darkness. In this movie, he is just a bitter, lonely, old guy. He is lacking charisma and the detective part is very cut down. In itself, TDKR could have been an excellent one shot experience, hadnt it been part THREE of a series.
    Storywise, its ok, but nothing special, the villain gets as villainous as we have seen them in Die Hard, nothing more.
    The characters are generally the same and fulfill their function, with a brilliant Michael Caine as Alfred and a wisecracking artistic Hathaway as "Catwoman" (a name thats never really mentioned in the movie).
    Conclusion: TDKR finally ends a trilogy of which I personally dont wanna see another part, as all the grandeur and coming of age was shown in part one, where it all should have remained.
  13. Aug 13, 2012
    If I was to call The Dark Knight (2008) a cinematic masterpiece then what would The Dark Knight Rises be? I call it the best superhero film ever made and a more than fitting end to the TDK trilogy that Christopher Nolan has formed. After the death of Rachel in TDK Bruce has hung up his cape and hides away in his manor. With Dent dead criminals are now locked up quicker than ever thanks toIf I was to call The Dark Knight (2008) a cinematic masterpiece then what would The Dark Knight Rises be? I call it the best superhero film ever made and a more than fitting end to the TDK trilogy that Christopher Nolan has formed. After the death of Rachel in TDK Bruce has hung up his cape and hides away in his manor. With Dent dead criminals are now locked up quicker than ever thanks to the Harvey Dent protocol established by Jim Gordon. However one man knows the secret about Dent, a terrorist by the name of Bane. Bane reveals the truth about Dent thereby setting free all of Gotham's prisoners. Batman must once again rise to the challenge and stop this madman calling for allies of the likes of Catwoman, Robin and his massive armoury that he has amassed over the year for a fight that will bring both you and Gotham City to its knees. Expand
  14. Jul 24, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is definetly a fun movie to watch especially if you're into superheros for like The Dark Knight, it brings a different sense of what being a superhero really is to the table. Yes it is a good movie with some interesting fight scenes and chase scenes as well as many new twists and tales however I dont think that Nolan did as well as this movie as he did with The DarkThe Dark Knight Rises is definetly a fun movie to watch especially if you're into superheros for like The Dark Knight, it brings a different sense of what being a superhero really is to the table. Yes it is a good movie with some interesting fight scenes and chase scenes as well as many new twists and tales however I dont think that Nolan did as well as this movie as he did with The Dark Knight. For one thin there were a bit too many characters as well as too many parts of the story that were either not needed or were not understood. I do like however how Nolan tried to add more Bruce Wayne to the movie rather then Batman, and even though many did not like this, it made me really appreciate Batman himself when he was on screen rather then liking the villains more (which I did in The Dark Knight). Admittedly Bane is a badass and Catwomen kept all the mens attention to the screen (especially when she did them fancy tricks with her tight suit). I also like how Nolan introduced Robin to the movie, as well as add his little twist regarding Talia at the end. Overall this is definetly a fun movie however, dont get your hopes too high for it is sadly not as good as The Dark Knight. Expand
  15. Aug 1, 2012
    This movie falls flat when it comes to the philosophical and psychological elements which made the first two movies so interesting. With that said, its plot and characters are reasonably good--taken on their own--and provide an interesting ride. The problem is that the movie's plot-holes, inconsistencies, and missed opportunities, and other flaws pile up throughout it's lengthy runtimeThis movie falls flat when it comes to the philosophical and psychological elements which made the first two movies so interesting. With that said, its plot and characters are reasonably good--taken on their own--and provide an interesting ride. The problem is that the movie's plot-holes, inconsistencies, and missed opportunities, and other flaws pile up throughout it's lengthy runtime such that they distract from what the movie does right. Ultimately its well worth seeing for the sheer spectacle of it all, but don't go into it expecting a film to top all others. Expand
  16. Aug 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Too long, too boring, too stupid, too predictable. When you watch first scene in airplane you think nice directing and action but the story behind it and Bane's plan was so stupid that it was too funny to watch. A plot where some body builder with mask lock all of city policeman's (smart guys!) in a subway under city and than announce it on some football game followed with unnecessary violence (trough all the scenes with Bane) to make some stupid point is rubbish. Complete and utter rubbish. Bane breaks Batman's back and he get miraculously cured hanging from a rope in a cave! He liberates all policemen ant they attack Bane's people in that legendary scene where 10 000 people is shooting on each other in 20m distance and 2 guys die! Than they drop their weapons and start to hit each other. If this were a comedy it would be much better. Who wrote that plot. Can they put at least some suspension or unpredictability in movie? I mean who didn't know Robin will be that policeman? I don't know what is worse in this move. Acting, dialog's or story.
    Other reviewers say it's deep movie? On what drug are they on? They show cat women's character as good like this: She is walking down the street. Some guys are molesting a kid without any reason. She helps the kid, beating the guys. Omg how anyone come to idea to put that scene in move. And scenes like that just pops out everywhere. Batman is fighting on one part of town and in next scene he comes and helps cat women. I thought who cut the part between? What about that scene on wall street? Where those guys who act like janitors hide their motorcycles? Why did police made ramps for them to jump over the blockade? Why did they even attack wall street on that stupid way? It was so funny to see something that unrealistic and stupid in a movie. It's deep politically and social? Yes, if you are retard. It,s so superficial that you have to laugh. Avoid if you don't won to throw 3 hours of your life.
    Only way to enjoy in this movie is to accept it's very expansively produced, good directed brainless action which will unintentionally make you laugh so many times...
  17. Jul 23, 2012
    Batman: The Dark Knight Rises is a movie that will blow you away> This is a satisfying end to arguable the best superhero movie franchise in history. This movie is grander in scope than the last two, has a sense of what it is, and has superb acting. Tom Hardy as Bane is no Joker, but is a talented actor that is a good choice for Bane. Anne Hathaway surprised me with her great acting asBatman: The Dark Knight Rises is a movie that will blow you away> This is a satisfying end to arguable the best superhero movie franchise in history. This movie is grander in scope than the last two, has a sense of what it is, and has superb acting. Tom Hardy as Bane is no Joker, but is a talented actor that is a good choice for Bane. Anne Hathaway surprised me with her great acting as Catwoman, Marion Cotillard was the memorable Miranda Tate, and Michael Caine and definitely Christian Bale have never been better in the franchise. The best new character for me was Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Blake, who gave a great performance. The story excelled at showing that Batman is human like us, not some Superman or Green Lantern, but a guy just like us, even if he has a bit more money. This is a great end to a great trilogy, and I think it outdoes Spider-Man and the Avengers for best superhero movie of the year. Expand
  18. Jul 24, 2012
    This movie is very average. The plot doesn't make logical sense, the movie lacks appearances from its star cast, and fight scenes are nothing more than 2 brutes swinging as hard as they can. The movie is rather a test to see how much fans love Christopher Nolan. It seems in their eyes he can do no wrong. He is the real world white knight and we will adore and overrate this film justThis movie is very average. The plot doesn't make logical sense, the movie lacks appearances from its star cast, and fight scenes are nothing more than 2 brutes swinging as hard as they can. The movie is rather a test to see how much fans love Christopher Nolan. It seems in their eyes he can do no wrong. He is the real world white knight and we will adore and overrate this film just because he made it no matter how many plot holes and liberties he took with this film. Expand
  19. Jul 20, 2012
    I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed with such an anticipated film. As a fan of the "comic book" genre and believing that the first two films in this series were nothing short of perfection, this movie fell way short on nearly every level. The dull, lifeless performances were equally matched by an unimaginative and lengthy script. This movie could have easily beenI can't remember the last time I was this disappointed with such an anticipated film. As a fan of the "comic book" genre and believing that the first two films in this series were nothing short of perfection, this movie fell way short on nearly every level. The dull, lifeless performances were equally matched by an unimaginative and lengthy script. This movie could have easily been scripted to have a fourth, or even fifth, instalment. At least then we could have been saved the horrible editing and cinematography that forced it into a single film, thus making it feel like nothing more than a two and a half hour trailer (the background music also NEVER stopped). And once again we see a great comic book villain who's story and purpose isn't truly told on the big screen, and Bane's is deep, he almost deserves his own movie. So much like Spider-Man 3, they tried to do too much with too little and it really shows. With the exception of it's actors, this final chapter appears to share absolutely none of what made the other two great. Expand
  20. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises had a lot of hype and high expectations to live up to after coming off of its acclaimed predecessor--The Dark Knight. Thus, inevitably, when going in to see the TDKR, TDK will be on the back of many peoples
  21. Jul 22, 2012
    I am probably one of the biggest Batman fans there is and going in I knew this was going to be garbage. For anyone who knows the Batman stories or reads the comics this movie will be like a slap in the face. People will like this movie because they feel they should but it falls flat in so many ways. It will do well but in my opinion the DC cartoons will always be better than the films andI am probably one of the biggest Batman fans there is and going in I knew this was going to be garbage. For anyone who knows the Batman stories or reads the comics this movie will be like a slap in the face. People will like this movie because they feel they should but it falls flat in so many ways. It will do well but in my opinion the DC cartoons will always be better than the films and the Marvel films will keep trumping the crap DC keeps doing live action Expand
  22. Feb 28, 2013
    batman is awful b/c he is predictably moral and thus just another boring super doofus of a hero. grow some balls marvel and show something dark and real.
  23. Jul 24, 2012
    The whole film was a letdown not only as a batman trio. but also as a nolan's film. No hard work was done in every department except the sound. The dialogues were so dumb unlike inception, memento, tdk. Twists in the film were forcefully injected into it & it all felt hopeless. One scene when the bane's past is revealed was a twist & really was the dumbest twist of all times. It was a mainThe whole film was a letdown not only as a batman trio. but also as a nolan's film. No hard work was done in every department except the sound. The dialogues were so dumb unlike inception, memento, tdk. Twists in the film were forcefully injected into it & it all felt hopeless. One scene when the bane's past is revealed was a twist & really was the dumbest twist of all times. It was a main but cheap twist & made bane look like a weak character & completely made the movie to downfall. Before this scene the movie was better than tdk, only one scene changed the fate of this movie. The film looked like even, nolan didn't also wanna make it. He should do what he wants & not not the money thirsty producers (WB) Expand
  24. Jul 21, 2012
    "The Dark Knight Rises" is another proff, that Nolan brothers are untalented, like Christian Bale as Batman. Horrible idea making Bane main genius enemy. So boring and so awful action. So stupidly written plot. This thing need to be at the deep of rating, but stupid fans forced this film.
  25. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is unfortunately another not-so-strong end to a great series. It will hang among other threequels such as Back to the Future 3 and Spiderman 3 as disappointing, but not wholly bad. It is a bit unfair to compare to The Dark Knight, which is easily his best film to-date. For positives, the film has great performances from most of its cast like Christian Bale, MichaelThe Dark Knight Rises is unfortunately another not-so-strong end to a great series. It will hang among other threequels such as Back to the Future 3 and Spiderman 3 as disappointing, but not wholly bad. It is a bit unfair to compare to The Dark Knight, which is easily his best film to-date. For positives, the film has great performances from most of its cast like Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, and (for the first act) Anne Hathaway. There are a couple great action set-pieces as well as some well-shot action sequences. However, I'm very disappointed with how the story and writing was handled. It feels like Nolan was rushed to get a script out to Warner Bros. without getting a chance to polish it. The story feels unfinished (or at the very least, muddled) and many of the new characters don't get fleshed out enough to develop a personality. Anne Hathaway really grabbed my attention for the first 40 minutes or so, but after that she just wasn't given anything important to do. I, personally, thought Bane's voice was silly-sounding. I can't help it, it sounds like a drive-thru speaker!

I was really surprised to see that there was so much CG effects in this film. Nolan has been so dedicated to keeping it real, something which I loved in the last two movies, what with the miniatures, and the real explosions, and the flipping a truck and the like. This time around, a gigantic amount of computer effects have found their way onto the screen,which bugged me.

There were several scenes that broke my suspension of disbelief (which would go into spoiler territory) and I felt the music was definitely the weakest in the trilogy.

It's a good movie, if not a bit unmemorable, that I had a lot of problems with.
  26. Jul 30, 2012
    The final film featuring the latest Batman incarnation (Christian Bale) picks up a few years after the second one. Bruce Wayne, who took the blame to protect his beloved Gotham, is living a secluded life. It takes a new villain to stir his Batspiration. Unfortunately, too many divergent plots keep him at bay and he spends too little time in his cape. There's way too much talk, much of itThe final film featuring the latest Batman incarnation (Christian Bale) picks up a few years after the second one. Bruce Wayne, who took the blame to protect his beloved Gotham, is living a secluded life. It takes a new villain to stir his Batspiration. Unfortunately, too many divergent plots keep him at bay and he spends too little time in his cape. There's way too much talk, much of it pretentious and philosophical. Some of the set pieces are big-budget impressive, but much of the action is mundane. Even though he looked ferocious (and over-pumped), Tom Hardy's Bane is hard to understand literally and figuratively. The only performances of any note: Anne Hathaway's sexy Catwoman and Michael Caine's teary emotional appeals. At 2:45, this film is simply too long and too chatty. Expand
  27. Jul 23, 2012
    The expectations for this movie were over the top, so it's pretty amazing that it actually lived up to the hype. I won't go over the top and say this is the greatest movie ever made, or even the best movie in the series. I'm not convinced this movie was better than the 2 that preceded it, but it's definitely on par with them, which is an accomplisment in itself. There's a lot going onThe expectations for this movie were over the top, so it's pretty amazing that it actually lived up to the hype. I won't go over the top and say this is the greatest movie ever made, or even the best movie in the series. I'm not convinced this movie was better than the 2 that preceded it, but it's definitely on par with them, which is an accomplisment in itself. There's a lot going on in the movie's nearly 3 hour running time (almost a little too much going on), but it flies by which goes to show how entertaining the movie is. All the new characters are great. Bane is a terrific villian, and the critics who claim he's just a brute with no emotion are idiots. He may not be as exciting as the Joker was, but who honestly expected Tom Hardy to top what Ledger did as the Joker? Bane is certainly more human than the Joker was, and it makes his character all the more thrilling for it. I was genuinely surprised at how great the Catwoman role was. Anne Hathaway seemed like a good choice for the role, but she did better than I expected. Aside from a few campy lines, she was a great addition to the series. Joseph Gordon Levitt was also great as the good guy cop Blake who works alongside Commisioner Gordon. The movie isn't perfect though. Some things were a little too predictable, so some of the "twists" late in the movie are expected. However, it's still a hell of a ride and it would you'd have to be cynical to not enjoy this movie. If this really is the end of this Batman series (and I doubt it will be), than The Dark Knight Rises is a very fitting conclusion to the best superhero trilogy of all time. Expand
  28. Jul 26, 2012
    I don't understand all the 10s given to this film. Yes, it's awesome to watch in iMAX. Yes, it's Batman. And yes, this is the last of the trilogy. But c'mon, there's just so many bad scenes in this film. And I have to agree with the others that many of the characters in this film is so unnecessary. In the end, the story (7) acting and dialogue (5) killed TDKR for me. I just couldn't giveI don't understand all the 10s given to this film. Yes, it's awesome to watch in iMAX. Yes, it's Batman. And yes, this is the last of the trilogy. But c'mon, there's just so many bad scenes in this film. And I have to agree with the others that many of the characters in this film is so unnecessary. In the end, the story (7) acting and dialogue (5) killed TDKR for me. I just couldn't give it a pass. And in my opinion (and I think everyone else who didn't give this film a 10), TDK is far superior with its better storyline and acting. Expand
  29. Jul 31, 2012
    I miss the old Joel Schumacher films... at least the plot made sense and the villains had any real motivation. The only thing that was half good on this was Anne Hathaway.
  30. Jul 21, 2012
    A truly grand movie. Packed with explosion and thrill. Gripping till the very end, especially the last one hour. Also quite a thriller with twists and turns till the very end.
  31. Jul 20, 2012
    Technically very good, except for some inexplicably clunky storytelling in the first half. But just as soon as the story congeals, Batman and supporting characters are rather jarringly ripped from their context. I wasn't sure that I was watching a Batman movie, until the last fifteen minutes or so, when I became convinced of it. Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns is a more satisfyingTechnically very good, except for some inexplicably clunky storytelling in the first half. But just as soon as the story congeals, Batman and supporting characters are rather jarringly ripped from their context. I wasn't sure that I was watching a Batman movie, until the last fifteen minutes or so, when I became convinced of it. Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns is a more satisfying conclusion to Batman's character arc, because it bends where this movie has chosen to break. Expand
  32. Jul 21, 2012
    Slow to start and muddied with too many mediocre subplots this is the weakest of the trilogy. The last 45 minutes were fun. Bane was dull. I went to see Batman and He didn't show up until the end. Sure there were reasons, but it was just not fun. The comics are good fun, this, meh. It would be fine to see this on video. There were two major, whose stupid idea was that moments. IfSlow to start and muddied with too many mediocre subplots this is the weakest of the trilogy. The last 45 minutes were fun. Bane was dull. I went to see Batman and He didn't show up until the end. Sure there were reasons, but it was just not fun. The comics are good fun, this, meh. It would be fine to see this on video. There were two major, whose stupid idea was that moments. If you are a fan, I suspect they will disappoint you. Expand
  33. Jul 20, 2012
    What "The Dark Knight Rises" is missing is efficiency and clarity. "The Dark Knight" was a nearly perfect film marked by astounding character development and perfect pop utility - not a moment wasted. "The Dark Knight Rises" is a muddled mess, albeit a dazzling one. The visuals are stunning; but all of the rabbits in Nolan's hat cannot obscure the fact that the screenplay is simply notWhat "The Dark Knight Rises" is missing is efficiency and clarity. "The Dark Knight" was a nearly perfect film marked by astounding character development and perfect pop utility - not a moment wasted. "The Dark Knight Rises" is a muddled mess, albeit a dazzling one. The visuals are stunning; but all of the rabbits in Nolan's hat cannot obscure the fact that the screenplay is simply not up to snuff. Expand
  34. Jul 20, 2012
    Awful movie, with a horrible political message. Nolan is shouting "get down the revolutiond and support the actual system". Tom Hardy is genious, and his character is a real hero, but Nolan paints him like a villain.
  35. Jan 4, 2013
    Finally got round to watching this. I originally decided against watching it in respect to those folks who tragically passed away in Colorado. Upon viewing it finally out of sheer curiosity it confirmed my fears that its just another over the top mindless violent picture with stale acting and outrageous cuts and shots that it was difficult to keep track of what was going on. I can't standFinally got round to watching this. I originally decided against watching it in respect to those folks who tragically passed away in Colorado. Upon viewing it finally out of sheer curiosity it confirmed my fears that its just another over the top mindless violent picture with stale acting and outrageous cuts and shots that it was difficult to keep track of what was going on. I can't stand this high speed quick cuts style. The only part of the film worthy was Tom Hardy. I've liked the guy since Star Trek Nemesis and the great Bronson so Tom as Bane was perfect. The voice could have been done much better and more natural but otherwise that gripe its worth a one time viewing just for Hardy. Other then that nod the rest of the film is a complete waste of time. Even Anne Hathaway fails to give us a new Cat Woman. Nothing tops MIchelle Pfeiffer. Heck Liam Neesom (he gets a nod) even makes an appearance, finally putting me on the edge of my seat and as that scene ends he just vanishes? Terrible screenplay. Never did think too highly of the first but the second was good. Worth a one time rental if your that curious or want to catch Hardy, Neeson, and some of Bale. Nolan in my opinion hasn't made a good film since Insomnia. Expand
  36. Aug 20, 2012
    Doesn't come close to the previous Batman. In fact its not a Batman period. They throw in the music of the first batman and some nice directing but that not a movie. If you want to enjoy this 'movie' go buy the soundtrack its about all there is to enjoy in it. The acting is good but because all the characters are recycled and pointless compared to the previous you can't say there is anyDoesn't come close to the previous Batman. In fact its not a Batman period. They throw in the music of the first batman and some nice directing but that not a movie. If you want to enjoy this 'movie' go buy the soundtrack its about all there is to enjoy in it. The acting is good but because all the characters are recycled and pointless compared to the previous you can't say there is any real reason to wasting a persons time nor money on seeing the pile of **** endo! They didn't like my ip address because i gave it a rating of zero. Expand
  37. Jul 29, 2012
    One word: boring.

From the numerous plot holes and head-scratchers to Catwoman's tedious and bland acting to the predictable and samey dialog; This is a pathetic ending to the Batman trilogy. I did walk out on this movie, about 3/4's of the way through. Was falling asleep in my seat. My largest gripe is the bad writing. Things happen by accident. One of the characters HAPPENS to
    One word: boring.

My largest gripe is the bad writing. Things happen by accident. One of the characters HAPPENS to stumble on the operations of the biggest bad in Gotham being kept secret for months / years. The Big Bad HAPPENS to know where the treasure vault is, when ostensibly no one know where it is, etc, etc. Relying on coincidence, always the hallmark of bad writing.

Secondly the plot and motivations for things done in the movie are largely incoherent. Why does Batman (of the movie), care one whit for this two dimensional cut out of Catwoman and go out of his way to save her? Why is it understood that she is any use when it comes to finding the Big Bad at all, when she appears to be a low level pawn? Why is that stupid stunt done with the airplane (see your trailer) when it's not even clear the "snatch and grab" that takes place is even needed? All in all, the movie play's more like a bad video game tie in than anything: All the set pieces (i.e. fight scenes or big stupid explosions) are planned out in advance and the plot is stitched together to "make it work".

There were some pretty clumsy and stupid jabs at "the rich" in the movie, which was just distracting and tedious. Yes guys, we get it: it's popular to bag on the rich. But if you're going to do it, at least do it competently. Batman, and to a lesser extent the city of Gotham itself, has been about this very subject. So I'm not sure why the "writer's" of this "fine film" would go out of their way to clumsily add non-canon whining and bad dialog, when you already have canon content that does the job quite well.

Weirdly I liked the side-characters more than what the writer's had the main character's doing all movie. The one cop who's in the batman fan club from word "Go" (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) that they spend an inordinate amount of time characterizing does a VERY good job and is more likeable than Bale as Batman. I *assume* they kill him off at some point to get a stupid tug at the heart strings. But I was expecting him to be the new Robin there for a bit.

There was good acting to be sure, just not Cat Woman. There is TONS of source material for each of the characters in the Batman universe, including Cat Woman. Cat Woman is normally portrayed (in the comics), as a more complex character than that "thing" that we had the misfortune of seeing Ms. Hathaway clumsily paw her way through.

I did like the music, if overdone at times ("Yes, we get it guys, beating drums make things more exciting").

One thing I thought was ironic as a good many of the character's in the film do or say things that indicate their strong belief that the concept of Batman itself is tired, outdated and unnecessary. A weird message for the movie ABOUT the Batman to have. And they actually bring up some cogent points! Unfortunately the bad writing they give Bale gives no indication of maturation, a good reason for him being the Batman or even an indication that he's thrill seeking or attempting to recapture lost glories. Which they out and out accuse him of at multiple points within the movie itself!

If you're going to beat the audience over the head with a "motivation" of the main character, at least have the main character himself attempt to express that motivation!
  38. Jul 21, 2012
    I read the critique that it was overly bleak, but seemed about the same level of darkness as the 2nd movie. The only difference was this one was at least 45 minutes too long. I thought it was very mediocre, a bit tedious and certainly too long. The hand-to-hand combat was very poor and telegraphed. Not much new to see and a bit boring.
  39. Jul 22, 2012
    I have a ambivalence to the Nolan batman films and that is a story with such rich texture it becomes a shame that they add Deus ex machina "A deus ex machina ( /ˈdeɪ.əs ɛks ˈmɑːkiːnə/ or /ˈdiːəs ɛks ˈmækɨnə/ day-əs eks mah-kee-nə;[1] Latin: "god from the machine"; plural: dei ex machina) is aI have a ambivalence to the Nolan batman films and that is a story with such rich texture it becomes a shame that they add Deus ex machina "A deus ex machina ( /ˈdeɪ.əs ɛks ˈmɑːkiːnə/ or /ˈdiːəs ɛks ˈmækɨnə/ day-əs eks mah-kee-nə;[1] Latin: "god from the machine"; plural: dei ex machina) is a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly solved with the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability, or object." Hollywood moments to solve its problems. Here The dark knight rises does the same. if you've seen the movies chances are you know what im talking about. They all start the same, Dark, and a feeling that what your seeing is if Batman existed in the real world, he fights things with what he has.. Then when the moments are at their toughest for him they just give him the I win button. It happened in Dark knight rises and cheapens a truly great movie. For me I just wish they gave batman more Wits. I wanted him to have a intelectual discussion with the Joker and debate him on chaos not just sit by in awe and listen to the Jokers sermens. And finaly in with the Dark Knight rises the same happends again. I must say though this is Bales/Nolans wisest batman yet, but still doesnt say much about the Bruce Wayne in Nolans universe who still is a baby through out the series who has learned nothing about the philosphys that drive his villians to deveolpe a personal anti thesis that would increase not only his mental prowless but his gab to debate them when they speak of their version of how life ought to be. To that it seems the smartest men in gotham remain Alfred, Lusious fox, and Joker who for whatever reason never shows up in the movie. I understand they love ledger, But Joker loved CHAOS not Nuclear destruction. To me a loving hand from joker to batman would have been a understandable moment even if he is not physicaly there. Yes the joker is loose, Yes he got off the island but not before giving Batman some piece of information that will save the city so once again he might come again and bring it to the world he wants to live in. I long for a day when this kind of batman will rise again, but, a batman written by someone who could have a batman that not only fights a villian with his strength, gadgets, and fear but also with a wit that can counter the thoughts of these criminals and deflate their rhetoric destroying not only their plans but also their beliefs Expand
  40. Jul 22, 2012
    Nolan ties it all together. This movie does not stand alone, it requires the other two. He makes great use of the Batman universe and takes the legend down roads both expected and unexpected. There were moments were I couldn't pick up what Bane or Batman were saying, but these weren't as bad as the critics harped on. Catwoman (never uses that name) was actually essential and not just aNolan ties it all together. This movie does not stand alone, it requires the other two. He makes great use of the Batman universe and takes the legend down roads both expected and unexpected. There were moments were I couldn't pick up what Bane or Batman were saying, but these weren't as bad as the critics harped on. Catwoman (never uses that name) was actually essential and not just a distraction. They obviously tried to tie together all the various incarnations of Selina Kyle and boil it down to one bad mama. Loved the ending. The only thing missing was some sort of dedication to the late, great Heath Ledger. Expand
  41. Aug 8, 2012
    It was a pretty damn good movie, it had a very strong plot and story, the acting was very good, although I can imagine the actor who played Bane was having fun walking around not saying anything. I can't help but say though, that 'The Dark Knight' was much better than the 3rd installment, without the Joker, no Batman film will ever be the same.
  42. Jul 21, 2012
    This was an excellent and fitting conclusion to the Batman Trilogy. First off, the acting/cast was brilliant; who could expect less with so many big-name actors/actresses, and with Alfred as the emotional anchor of the movie. The development of Bane as a villain was perfection from beginning to end - his depth rivals that of the Joker from The Dark Knight. The negative reviews mostlyThis was an excellent and fitting conclusion to the Batman Trilogy. First off, the acting/cast was brilliant; who could expect less with so many big-name actors/actresses, and with Alfred as the emotional anchor of the movie. The development of Bane as a villain was perfection from beginning to end - his depth rivals that of the Joker from The Dark Knight. The negative reviews mostly lament over the drawn-out length of the movie, but I thought the pacing was great and there was always something to capture your attention, with the ending being the best of all . This is a superhero definitely worthy of a Best Picture Nomination (The Dark Knight was as well, but was snubbed). Expand
  43. Jul 21, 2012
    Great movie it is a long movie but it's because they wanted to build the story up the right way and with about 20min left I felt as if I was batman. Go see it. Totally worth the $7
  44. Jul 21, 2012
    It's not only the sequel we need, it's the sequel we deserve!

I came out of the cinema having been taken on an emotional rollercoaster. No one can follow that, no reboot can touch Nolans trilogy.

I did not think it possible that I would enjoy a movie more than Avengers this year, I was wrong.
  45. Jul 21, 2012
    Tom hardy isn't Heath Ledger, but he isn't trying to be. Take TDKR for what it his, the final testament and epic conclusion of Bruce Wayne and Batman. Nolan borrows a fistful of techniques he picked up from his own movie, Inception, and gives the third batman a style and feel of it's very own, and with a more than satisfying ending it wraps everything up yet leaves room for pondering andTom hardy isn't Heath Ledger, but he isn't trying to be. Take TDKR for what it his, the final testament and epic conclusion of Bruce Wayne and Batman. Nolan borrows a fistful of techniques he picked up from his own movie, Inception, and gives the third batman a style and feel of it's very own, and with a more than satisfying ending it wraps everything up yet leaves room for pondering and rewatching. Nolan at his finest. Expand
  46. Dec 19, 2014
    The Dark Knight is one of the best movies I've seen, and I saw 3 TIMES The Dark Knight Rises one the movie theater, but I have to say, now that is on HBO, I can't tolarate even 3 minutes watching it, it is the most stupid super hero movie I ever seen... It sucks, but don't get me wrong, I would see it again on the theater even If I don't know why
  47. Aug 24, 2013
    Really movie. The first movie from Nolan's trilogy was still comparable to brilliant Tim Burton's films. The second one was worse, but it had charismatic Joker in it. The third one has nothing to make it interesting. When i downloaded it, i expected to see a superhero movie, not a boring soap opera about a whiny girl in a cloak. Throughout the whole film Batman sucks. He did nothingReally movie. The first movie from Nolan's trilogy was still comparable to brilliant Tim Burton's films. The second one was worse, but it had charismatic Joker in it. The third one has nothing to make it interesting. When i downloaded it, i expected to see a superhero movie, not a boring soap opera about a whiny girl in a cloak. Throughout the whole film Batman sucks. He did nothing useful or superheroic (he even lost the final battle to Bane, lol). Some people say that it's realistic portrait of superhero and it adds drama to a story, BUT WHO THE F*** NEEDS DRAMA IN THE MOVIE ABOUT THE GUY IN A SUIT WITH STICKING BAT EARS WHO IS BEATING A BUNCH OF PSYCHOPATHIC CRIMINALS? Besides, Nolan is bad at making dramatic moments, and they look terrible. Ok, it's fine, you showed me that it's hard to be a superhero and that Bruce is a man too. Can we now proceed to action? No?.. There are only a few fight scenes in the whole movie, and Batman loses most of them? Well, that's just great. Also, I honestly don't understand why someone thought that redesigned Bane would be more interesting than the original one from the comic series. He became just a usual bull with a funny mask. However, he still manages to be smarter than Batman, because in Nolan's interpretation he's just a moron. Like in that scene where he danced with the best pickpocket in Gotham and then was like: "Hey, she stole my Ferrari! Wow, I REALLY DIDN'T EXPECT IT!" (btw, that's why Burton's Batman was awesome: he would just trick Selina). And here comes the plot, which is really strange and stupid. It's not much stranger than the secret order of Shaolin monks from "Batman: Begins", which kinda doesn't suit the pseudo-realistic style of Nolan. However, the order of Shaolin monks was awesome and was way more entertaining and realistic than the underground prison somewhere in Middle East. Also, the plot twist with Wayne's bankruptcy is freaking ridiculous and dumb. A pack of armed criminals attacks bank, hacks it's network and runs away, and the operations made by them can't be denied? Yeah, that's realistic and dramatic. It's also funny how Bruce suddenly looses everything he had, like all of his money were stored in his company and he didn't make any caches. Finally, the film contains strong anti-revolutionary message, which is late for about 30 years, and some weird scenes like "WE FIGHT FOR AMERICA!!!"... Meh, pathetic. Expand
  48. Jul 20, 2012
    Where is Robin when you need him? Or for that matter Spiderman? Wait! Where is Batman?? In this 2 hour and 25 minute movie we see way too much of Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) not to forget Catwoman (Anne Hathaway) and Bane, the villain (Tom Hardy), and a young policeman (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) plus the Commissioner (Gary Oldman), Batman/Bruce Wayne's inventor Lucius (Morgan Freeman), aWhere is Robin when you need him? Or for that matter Spiderman? Wait! Where is Batman?? In this 2 hour and 25 minute movie we see way too much of Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) not to forget Catwoman (Anne Hathaway) and Bane, the villain (Tom Hardy), and a young policeman (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) plus the Commissioner (Gary Oldman), Batman/Bruce Wayne's inventor Lucius (Morgan Freeman), a possible love interest in Miranda Tate (Marion Cotillard) and various other characters but I thought this was suppose to be a film about Batman, isn't it?

"The Dark Knight Rises" is on its way to breaking records (if the shooting today in Colorado doesn't keep people away from movie theatres) but it is not half as interesting as Spiderman was, has a long, confusing plot that goes in all directions and a not very interesting villain. Without giving away any plot points two of them border on the ridiculous.

Michael Caine, playing Wayne's butler/valet, disappears after being prominent at the beginning with his hovering/worrying about Bruce being taken over by Morgan Freeman with the latter not really offering anything different in the part.

The screenplay by Christopher Nolan, who also directed, and Jonathan Nolan, goes into many and confusing directions. It can also bring up other layers if you want to look at it politically with Bane (Bain?), the 1%, the Occupy Wall street group and the destruction of Gotham city, which certainly is New York here, bringing up scenes of 9/11, but don't waste your time on those angles because your mind will be all over the place until Batman, special effects, stopping the world coming to an end comes into play and off we go into comic book hero action.

Having seen "The Amazing Spiderman" last week and "The Dark Knight Rises" today I would recommend the former a lot more than the latter as it has the better story, is shorter and though it also has an uninteresting villain at least you can understand what he is saying.
  49. Jul 20, 2012
    Same old same old. Could have been a 90 minute movie. Wouldn't matter anyway, If you are looking for any surprises, you wont find them here. Big disappointment. Glad this Trilogy is over for good.
  50. Jul 21, 2012
    Loved this movie... If you are a fan of going to the cinema... Then go NOW. This movie encompasses every reason we love movies. The acting was phenomenal and the film had so many original ideas in its story. I'm seeing it again in IMAX tonight an I have a feeling this is one that will get better with multiple viewings.
  51. Lyn
    Jan 6, 2013
    Joseph Gordon-Leavitt really "rises" here : You wonder what the heck HE is doing in a Batman movie, but he wins you over. Overall, a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy, with lots of dark-and-doomy action, though they could have cut 30 mins. from the rather blah backstories. Also would have liked more of the always solid Christian Bale, but Anne Hathaway lit up every scene she was in.Joseph Gordon-Leavitt really "rises" here : You wonder what the heck HE is doing in a Batman movie, but he wins you over. Overall, a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy, with lots of dark-and-doomy action, though they could have cut 30 mins. from the rather blah backstories. Also would have liked more of the always solid Christian Bale, but Anne Hathaway lit up every scene she was in. Must say "Bane" was a dull villain ... but having raised two sons, I'm sure he and his weird mask will make for a swell 8" action figure. Expand
  52. Aug 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Everything felt rushed, miscued & unexplained in the last 90 minutes. The last 30 minutes made generally no sense. After Batman 2 which was brilliant, this movie had me consistently asking why were most of the characters so idiotic in their thinking. A few bad actors in place as well; and the ending? Really? How could Batman survive that? Maybe if his batwing morphed int an amphibious craft. Just a LOT of unexplained holes that had you asking, how'd he get there?, why don't they just...? I really hate it when movie that supposed to be great, leaves you analyzing the direction job. The voice of Bane to me just didn't fit either, it sounded like a 70 year old college professor. Expand
  53. Aug 26, 2012
    First and foremost, the sound quality in this film is one of the worse I have heard for a major motion picture, and I saw it in IMAX which has the best sound available. Overall, I would say I understood about 2/3 of the dialogue, and only about 1/3 of Bane's dialogue. Bane wears a mask and when he speaks, for no apparent reason, there is an amplified distorted voice. On top of that heFirst and foremost, the sound quality in this film is one of the worse I have heard for a major motion picture, and I saw it in IMAX which has the best sound available. Overall, I would say I understood about 2/3 of the dialogue, and only about 1/3 of Bane's dialogue. Bane wears a mask and when he speaks, for no apparent reason, there is an amplified distorted voice. On top of that he has an accent making it even worse. When he spoke into a microphone on the football field you may as well forget trying to understand him. The rest of the movie had a VERY annoying loud cello playing in the background when people were speaking. There were no silent spots that I remember. There was even dialogue being spoken during the action scenes. My friend and I were constantly leaning over and saying "what did he say?". There is also absolutely NO humor in this film whatsoever, and in fact every person on the screen had the same angry, angst, cynical personality. As always, the special effects were superb which I would expect for a budget the size they had. There are numerous plot holes and ludicrous moments throughout. Michael Caine weeps in almost every scene. I'm a big fan of Anne Hathaway but she is a waste here. She is yet another angry kick-ass person on screen, when they could have used her for some MUCH needed humor in the film. Lastly, the movie was WAY too long. I was so relieved when it finally ended after the cacophony of noise I had to endure for 2 hours and 40 minutes. Expand
  54. Dec 9, 2012
    Very dark as always, with a foreboding, apocalyptic feel about it. These Nolan films are intense. Good amounts of character development as always but at the expense of more action. For me Batman Begins was the only Nolan film that struck the right balance, especially with that truly epic ending on the train. This film just didn't climax for me. And Bale's Batman voice still bothers me.Very dark as always, with a foreboding, apocalyptic feel about it. These Nolan films are intense. Good amounts of character development as always but at the expense of more action. For me Batman Begins was the only Nolan film that struck the right balance, especially with that truly epic ending on the train. This film just didn't climax for me. And Bale's Batman voice still bothers me. Give me Batman Returns any day. There I said it. Expand
  55. Jul 20, 2012
    First, for the full review, including *hidden spoilers* go to this website- http://www.ign.com/blogs/bulltoad/?p=1454

THIS REVIEW IS FREE OF SPOILERS, BUT DOES REFERENCE THE LATTER PART OF THE BLOG IN WHICH PLOT IS DISCUSSED.

Let
  56. Jul 20, 2012
    It's a decent movie, but The Dark Knight surpasses it in every single way. It's arguable that Batman Begins is better also. A good end to the Nolan series, but not it's most glorious moment.
  57. Jan 11, 2013
    I'm a huge Batman fan, I've watched every movie so far and I have to admit this is not only one of the best Batman movies (I say one of the best because Batman Forever is my favorite, agree or disagree I don't care it's my favorite) but it's also one of the best superhero movies of all time. It's action packed, has a great story, outstanding acting, and some awesome comic tie-ins. AnI'm a huge Batman fan, I've watched every movie so far and I have to admit this is not only one of the best Batman movies (I say one of the best because Batman Forever is my favorite, agree or disagree I don't care it's my favorite) but it's also one of the best superhero movies of all time. It's action packed, has a great story, outstanding acting, and some awesome comic tie-ins. An outstanding movie that I highly recommend watching. Expand
  58. Jul 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the smartest Directors of our generation is about to conclude his famous saga. Oh yes, you should anticipate what is he going to do next. Christopher Nolan has built a superb franchise through two successful prequels BATMAN BEGINS (2005) and THE DARK KNIGHT (2008). No wonder everyone is hyped about it and the excitement is rising high. The Batman character has changed a lot over the years. The two most important influences are Frank Miller graphic novel BATMAN: YEAR ONE (1987) and Tim Burton movie BATMAN (1989), not just changing the image entirely but also affecting today superhero movies. What I am trying to say is you will soon witness a historic event as well. We are going to see the next phase of Batman transition. In thiz grand finale to an epic trilogy, Christopher Nolan definitely takes Batman to the whole new level. Christian Bale also deserves a credit for making Bruce Wayne character even more dynamic and attractive. Bale is certainly not just an ordinary Actor, he can play any character he wants, not just good, but great. I do not know why Nolan takes so many risks by changing the winning formula. Spoiler Alert! There are more day scenes than night scenes, Bruce Wayne becomes poor, firing Alfred and other radical changes. As a matter of fact, it was not Bat at all! I do not feel like I have been watching Batman movie, it was more like a typical Nolan movie that happens to be Batman in it. There is no doubt that the Joker was potrayed amazingly by the late Heath Ledger in THE DARK KNIGHT (2008). Christopher Nolan himself knows very well that he should find something new, something phenomenal enough to replace it. Well, at least he has done half of his homework. Although the merciless masked villain Bane (Tom Hardy) is very terrifying, especially through his monstrous voice and intimidating appearance, but it is lack of character. Catwoman does not leave any impression. Yes, she is still sexy but only physically. I can hardly remember anything besides Catwoman becomes Anne Hathaway, instead of the other way around. Better performances come from two Cast members of INCEPTION (2010), Marion Cotillard and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It makes five of them, the others are Tom Hardy, Michael Caine and Cillian Murphy. The other regular Cast members are Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon and Morgan Freeman as Lucious Fox. In fact, in the middle of the story, the movie loses its track, too many unnecessary scenes, sometimes too wordy and almost flat out boring. Even worse, it is compounded by one-dimensional fight choreography. Everytime Batman and Bane fight, it looks like B-Class movie. But I still think The Bike Chase Scene is spectacular. In the end, hey it is Christopher Nolan! Of course, he saves something for the ending. Finally, I can say the epic concludes with a very classy way, typical Nolan twists and turns. It is another ambiguous ending from him. Dont you ever discuss it or you will find yourself in the middle of never-ending debate about what really happened at the end of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES. No more spoilers, find your own hints. Have a nice Bat!

Visit My Blog on JONNY
  59. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is a satisfying conclusion in Nolan's trilogy, but individually falls short of meeting the lofty expectations set by 2008's The Dark Knight. The musical score, acting (particularly by Bale, Hathaway, and Caine) and set design are top-notch. Bane is a terrifying villain of physical proportions, which really helps carry the pain theme of this third and final act. ThereThe Dark Knight Rises is a satisfying conclusion in Nolan's trilogy, but individually falls short of meeting the lofty expectations set by 2008's The Dark Knight. The musical score, acting (particularly by Bale, Hathaway, and Caine) and set design are top-notch. Bane is a terrifying villain of physical proportions, which really helps carry the pain theme of this third and final act. There are many individual scenes, particularly the opening airplane heist, that is breathtaking. There are many references to the first film, Batman Begins, that helps give closure to key characters - it is helpful to re-watch this first film prior to watching DKR.

This film, TDKR, is not without flaws. There is an unsatisfying, anti-climactic conclusion to a major character. The second half of this film, particularly the final 45 minutes, that feels rushed from an execution standpoint. There are various side characters and extras where you can't help wonder if the film would have been sharper and not sacrificed on plot development had they just cut out these scenes entirely.

Is this film worth the price of admission? Absolutely. Yet when the credits rolled, I couldn't help but feel that this film didn't give me that overwhelming awe that I felt from its predecessor.
  60. Jul 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Even though I like this movie, I don't think it was as good as the first Batman in this particular trilogy. For one thing he kept getting his ass whooped. I mean for Pete's sake He's a superhero. I kept saying as much as was going on that this is a job for Superman! The music was waaay too loud and sometimes it was hard to hear what they were saying. You could tell that Tom Hardy's was dubbed and was louder than everyone else. I like the Avengers better. Sometimes I think that people just jump on a bandwagon and just go along with the critics. Catwoman is a blonde with green eyes and looks nothing like Anne Hathaway, although she looked really hot and sexy. Talia has sandy blonde hair and in this movie she was a brunette and not as hot as the comic book Talia. What was up with the ending? Is it setting up for a Robin sequel? Expand
  61. Jul 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Admittedly this film had a lot to live up to, given the phenomenon that was The Dark Knight, as well as what Nolan achieved with Inception and what Joss Whedon was able to bring to The Avengers a few months earlier. But what surprised me was that apart from that, The Dark Knight Rises is simply not a very good film. It shocked me, how pedestrian it ends up being. The performances are excellent, Anne Hathaway rivals Michelle Pfieffer's Catwoman; livening things up whenever she's onscreen. And there's it was nice to see the excellent Ben Mendelsohn and Juno Temple pop up in colourful supporting roles, plus reappearances of Nestor Carbonell and Cillian Murphy (whose presence is welcome but never logically explained). Tom Hardy's Bane in the end pales in comparison to Heath Ledger's Joker, not his fault really, Ledger was a hard act to follow. The biggest problem is the script. While there is a nice through-line with elements of the previous films, some story decisions left me scratching my head. A neutron time-bomb? Really Nolan, that's the best you could come up with? Catwoman's storyline initially plays but ends up dissolving into nothing. The sub-plot with Joseph Gordon Levitt and the boy's home, while quite affecting, didn't really fit in comfortably (and the reveal as 'Robin' at the end of the film brought a wave of snickers and groans in the cinema) The 11th hour villain twist feels cheap; I was wondering why Cotillard had been so under-utilised for most of the film, but she deserved more than to become a B-movie-baddie. And given Nolan's opportunity to close out the trilogy, the film wimps out on a truly moving conclusion. However there are some story elements that do work: the plot twists quite effectively in places, the chemistry is there between Bale and Hathaway and Bruce and Alfred share some poignant moments. I desperately wanted to like this film but, in the end, found it very hard to Expand
  62. Oct 8, 2012
    The acting, writing, drama, and action are of a caliber with Nolan's other great works (The Dark Knight notwithstanding). The only genuine problem with this film is that it had to succeed a true masterpiece in The Dark Knight. Hardy is excellent as a villain (though not quite as chilling and nihilistic as Ledger's Joker) and Hathaway and Gordon-Levitt are both strong additions. Perhaps theThe acting, writing, drama, and action are of a caliber with Nolan's other great works (The Dark Knight notwithstanding). The only genuine problem with this film is that it had to succeed a true masterpiece in The Dark Knight. Hardy is excellent as a villain (though not quite as chilling and nihilistic as Ledger's Joker) and Hathaway and Gordon-Levitt are both strong additions. Perhaps the weight of expectation led to some shortcomings but the final 30-40 minutes of the film are edge-of-your-seat compelling. The conclusion is so startlingly appropriate (read: vintage Nolan) fans should wonder why they thought the trilogy would end any other way. This film, and indeed the two which preceded it, is an absolute must-see. If not for the sake of great cinema, at least for the benefit of knowing how it all ends. Expand
  63. Nov 30, 2012
    Boo Ya what an epic movie and what phenomenal way to end the dark knight trilogy.The story kept me on the edge of my seat for the whole 164 minutes.The action sequences was done perfectly.The story line was epic,the acting for every actor and actresses was done extremely well.Christopher Nolan does a phenomenel job directing this film. Every Batman movie directed was phenomenal and noBoo Ya what an epic movie and what phenomenal way to end the dark knight trilogy.The story kept me on the edge of my seat for the whole 164 minutes.The action sequences was done perfectly.The story line was epic,the acting for every actor and actresses was done extremely well.Christopher Nolan does a phenomenel job directing this film. Every Batman movie directed was phenomenal and no wonder the films was a worldwide phenomenel.Unlike other films which had trilogy's and failed for example spider man 1,2 and 3 which truly sucked.But the dark knight trilogy's was the best epic and awesome.This time I did not read the other reviews posted by other users.Until I finished watching the film.And I'm glad to say I truly enjoyed this film.The dark knight rises is one of the best films I have ever seen. Expand
  64. Jul 31, 2012
    How can you top the Dark Knight? You can't. The Nolans' wobbly script - although over-powering and wildly entertaining at times - suffers from plot holes, unnecessary dialogue, too many characters and an over-bearing sense of political morality that is channeled through by a ridiculous and incomprehensible villain. The inconsistencies are only shadowed by the film's action and editing.How can you top the Dark Knight? You can't. The Nolans' wobbly script - although over-powering and wildly entertaining at times - suffers from plot holes, unnecessary dialogue, too many characters and an over-bearing sense of political morality that is channeled through by a ridiculous and incomprehensible villain. The inconsistencies are only shadowed by the film's action and editing. Nolan does a good job at directing but he suffers from a "forest-for-the-trees" mentality as the script doesn't hold up to all that Wayne/Batman has endured in his previous adventures because it throws away a great deal of Wayne's character for mere retribution. The performances are great, particularly Cain in the few key scenes he has. The third act is the most entertaining but the end sequence is unnecessary and patronizing removing all gravitas from the story it preceded. There are several elements that bugged me as a fan of the comics and animated show that make no sense in this incarnation of Batman but I guess that's just a personal bias. All selfish reasoning aside, it's a fun and visually brilliant ride as long as you don't bother trying to unravel the inconsistencies. Expand
  65. Jan 5, 2013
    A bloated, contrived and self-indulgent barrage of flat dialogue, juvenile characterisation and cliché action sequences. Nolan's post-modernist take on Batman is little more than a static metaphor that takes itself far too seriously and is totally devoid of levity and brevity.
  66. Jan 3, 2013
    I really enjoyed this movie; it's one of the best in the Batman franchise. The movie is long, but you won't notice the time passing. Anne Hathaway was excellent as Catwoman and Joseph Gordon-Levitt was a great addition to the plot. Sometimes the dialogue was a bit cheesy, and although I really liked Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne, I found his Batman voice very distracting. Nevertheless, theI really enjoyed this movie; it's one of the best in the Batman franchise. The movie is long, but you won't notice the time passing. Anne Hathaway was excellent as Catwoman and Joseph Gordon-Levitt was a great addition to the plot. Sometimes the dialogue was a bit cheesy, and although I really liked Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne, I found his Batman voice very distracting. Nevertheless, the movie is definitely a "must see" and I'm looking forward to another sequel. Expand
  67. dz9
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan has risen to the challenge to try to top his own success from Dark Knight, he may not get close to tying it but he gets close enough. Let's start with the bad.. In The Dark Knight Rises, Christopher Nolan has seemed so focused on creating such a in-reality gritty film that he forgot that he was making a Batman movie. The gritty real feeling of the movie was great in all,Christopher Nolan has risen to the challenge to try to top his own success from Dark Knight, he may not get close to tying it but he gets close enough. Let's start with the bad.. In The Dark Knight Rises, Christopher Nolan has seemed so focused on creating such a in-reality gritty film that he forgot that he was making a Batman movie. The gritty real feeling of the movie was great in all, but at the end of the day, people want to see Batman's plethora of gadgets and stealth... none of which was fulfilled. This really makes you realize what Heath Ledger's Joker brought to the movie, his fun randomness and comedy left a huge hole in the movie and in it's place was another gritty straight forward villain that doesn't feel anywhere close to being fleshed out as the Joker. In this film, you only see about 30 minutes of Batman and only his first few scenes feel like Batman... the rest felt like a generic hero that dresses like Batman. Another fault of the movie is the fact that it spends way to much time developing its own plot. We're already in the finale of the trilogy, we didn't need 2/3 of the movie used for developing. You'll never truly feel bored watching it, but you'll definitely notice it dragging on and you'll just wish you could see more Batman and less of the drama. The last major fault is the fact that Bruce Wayne's new love interest felt extremely forced, before you even know who she is Bruce Wayne has already fell in love with her beyond a reasonable doubt and your expected to just accept it. Of course they're is some plot holes that will leave you scratching your head but they're never serious enough to break the movie. However, this movie also has a lot going for it. The art direction Nolan takes is breath taking, and the plot twists will make your jaw drop. They're are definitely a few slow parts that will make you check your watch here and there but this movie always keeps you interested in its plot. And although not as on par as the Joker, Tom Hardy's Bane is a great menacing villain who may seem ridiculous at first but will grow on you as the movie goes along. Another strength to the movie is the chemistry between the actors. Despite the movie's plot, the actors' definitely knew this was the finale and they all brought their A game. The interactions between the actors, particularly between Ann Hathaway and Christian Bale, were fantastic. And yes... Nolan does put a magnificent ending to such an overall amazing series. In The End: This is an amazing film, but its just not quite a great Batman adaptation. It worries so much about developing this gritty realistic tone that it forgets that its about a man dressed like a bat wearing a cape. You wish you would've seen more Batman action than this 3 hour long drama fest. 7.7/10 Expand
  68. Dec 22, 2012
    The comic-book nature of this film is inevitable, and there is an instinct not to take it too seriously as a grown-up movie. If it weren't for the constant flow of violence (bystanders get shot like cardboard ducks at a booth where you win stuffed animals), this film is perfect for ages 13-17. After 17, most high-schoolers will be too mature. Christian Bale is a serious Batman and aThe comic-book nature of this film is inevitable, and there is an instinct not to take it too seriously as a grown-up movie. If it weren't for the constant flow of violence (bystanders get shot like cardboard ducks at a booth where you win stuffed animals), this film is perfect for ages 13-17. After 17, most high-schoolers will be too mature. Christian Bale is a serious Batman and a seriously handsome one, but his character is superficial. He's committed to justice, he's awfully rich, and he avoids romantic entanglements. He prizes the paternal loyalty of his butler, Alfred, played by Michael Caine. Caine reprises his role for the first act of the film, gets written out of the script for reasons that are too mundane to remember, and shows up at the very end to reassure viewers that he is still looking after his boy. Batman's nemesis is Catwoman, a thief played by Anne Hathaway, a sort of female Robin Hood, who steals from the rich to give to the only poor person she cares about, which is herself. Not quite as altruistic as one would hope for, but Hathaway does give Catwoman a new dimension heretofore unseen in comic books and previous feline versions of the character. She's a professional thief, desperate to support herself with her thieving skills, but also desperate to find a new identity so that she can start over without a criminal record and have a normal life. It's her fatal flaw; she'll agree to almost anything if someone can promise her a clean slate. Hathaway apparently did martial arts, yoga, and a lot of dieting and working out to prepare for this role and it shows--she's in good enough shape to be a kickboxing champion. She starts out as a bad guy, or girl, but mellows later in the film, mostly because she falls in love with Bruce Wayne. (Batman is a bit more vulnerable in this version because of his love for Catwoman, which is a softening touch in a film that badly needs one.) Batman has an unofficial partner, a rookie cop named John Blake played aptly by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who is clever and inventive and often saves the day. In the end, we find out Blake doesn't like to use his real name, which is "Robin." (This is not a spoiler.) The real bad guy is a Darth Vader type named Bane. He is deadly, criminally insane, and beyond hope, but he does have a weak spot that shows he has a heart. The spot is so weak that it's not very believable, and his version of heart is a case of too little, too late. Bane is too evil and too predictable; his violent behavior is pure insanity, and he's in danger of being monotonous. Marion Cotillard as Miranda, who knows Wayne through high society and high funding circles, has to make an about-face at one point that, again, comes late in the film and without warning so that it looks like a plot twist written in at the last minute. The prison of the film is a Dantean hell with hope for redemption being only a hole in the ceiling that gives the prisoners a circular view of heaven--a visual symbolism that is almost brilliant but does not quite redeem the rest of the film. A surrealistic sham courtroom where everyone is sentenced to death or exile is right out of Kafka's The Trial. Despite these literary touches, the movie is too grim, violent and predictable, although Batman fans seem to love it anyway. Too many people seem to know that Wayne is Batman in this sequel, and you would think that it would be all over the Internet. The film is still visually entertaining with excellent actors and manages to hold your interest, although admittedly the next morning you won't remember what happened or why. Expand
  69. Jul 20, 2012
    This film is extraordinary, if flawed. Much, much, much better than Dark Knight. The casting, story, direction, pacing and effects are the best of the trilogy. As someone who thought Batman Begins was the best superhero film yet made at the time of its release, but found The Dark Knight to be strangely boring and clunky, The Dark Knight Rises really surprised me with its energy and power.This film is extraordinary, if flawed. Much, much, much better than Dark Knight. The casting, story, direction, pacing and effects are the best of the trilogy. As someone who thought Batman Begins was the best superhero film yet made at the time of its release, but found The Dark Knight to be strangely boring and clunky, The Dark Knight Rises really surprised me with its energy and power. Christian Bale's performance in particular was masterful. I love Christopher Nolan's work but he makes frustrating choices, mostly having to do with dialogue being understandable. He blankets his films with wall-to-wall score that is mixed so prominently it often drowns out whole lines of dialogue. He also hires foreign actors with very thick accents, which can also occasionally come across exactly like what it is: an actor reciting words beyond their own English ability. In The Dark Knight Rises we almost escaped this factor because Marion Cotillard has the rare ability to speak with a thick accent and yet sound completely intelligible. But the fact is you simply can't hear or understand at least a third of Bane's lines. And since he's the antagonist, this is a maddening problem. And even when you can hear it, it's still distracting because it sounds overdubbed on top of the movie in post. Kind of like Optimus Prime in Transformers. If they mixed the score lower and found a way to make Bane's lines both intelligible and realistic in an acoustic sense this would be an untouchable masterpiece. Expand
  70. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises was truly an amazing film, the acting was top-notch and the climax was pretty amazing. Christopher Nolan managed to grasp desperation very well and the conclusion to the Dark Knight is just jaw-dropping and a good send-off to Batman. While TDKR is a great movie it is not as good as the predessor, the Dark Knight. TDKR's story is not as much in depth and morallyThe Dark Knight Rises was truly an amazing film, the acting was top-notch and the climax was pretty amazing. Christopher Nolan managed to grasp desperation very well and the conclusion to the Dark Knight is just jaw-dropping and a good send-off to Batman. While TDKR is a great movie it is not as good as the predessor, the Dark Knight. TDKR's story is not as much in depth and morally challenging as TDK and TDKR's Bane, while indeed a good villain, is not as fun or gripping like TDK's Joker and the plot does does seem a little out of focus at times, especially in the beginning. Nonetheless, TDKR is still an Epic Conclusion that is well made and definately worth watching, Christopher Nolan has given Batman a epic sendoff, Batman goes out with a bang. Verdict: 79 out of 100 Expand
  71. Jul 20, 2012
    The film is made on epic scale. No doubt about it but it has been letdown by am amateurish editing and pacing. The plot is conjugated and I guess it was supposed to be a superrhero movie. It is definitely the weakest movie of Nolans career along with Prestige. Having said that, its not a bad movie. Its a good movie but Nolan had set up high level expectations afterr giving us movies likeThe film is made on epic scale. No doubt about it but it has been letdown by am amateurish editing and pacing. The plot is conjugated and I guess it was supposed to be a superrhero movie. It is definitely the weakest movie of Nolans career along with Prestige. Having said that, its not a bad movie. Its a good movie but Nolan had set up high level expectations afterr giving us movies like Insomnia. Memento, Innception and Dark knight. The length was also the culprit and what the hell Bane was trying to say?????? Expand
  72. Jul 21, 2012
    A big and solid thrillride. It is not perfect however and contains less depth and relevance than it claims to. I like Nolans firmly logical approach to film-making and his portrayal of rationality, but he misses some of the beauty of humanity and individuals, he misses grace and love and kindness in his protagonists, and the antagonists don't seem very deeply motivated, though they kind ofA big and solid thrillride. It is not perfect however and contains less depth and relevance than it claims to. I like Nolans firmly logical approach to film-making and his portrayal of rationality, but he misses some of the beauty of humanity and individuals, he misses grace and love and kindness in his protagonists, and the antagonists don't seem very deeply motivated, though they kind of get explained. In other words, Batman as seen by a great orchestrator but a less great psychologist and humanist. More so than in the previous movies of his trilogy. Recommended for the fun ride. Expand
  73. Jul 26, 2012
    This movie is good, not great. It is fairly formulaic and simple minded compared to it's profound predecessor which included (Heath Ledger). I liked the movie, but I think if it stood alone .. It would be even less weighty of a flick, it's too dependent on past events for substance. I think it is weaker because of this.

Still for closure, and predictable end it was worth matinee price.

Still for closure, and predictable end it was worth matinee price. And it had Batman, with a little too subtle cat woman appearance ...
  74. Jul 26, 2012
    It was a great movie, but left a lot to be desired. Even with the unrealistic expectations set by the Dark Knight, this movie is barely a shadow to that. I wanted to enjoy the movie so much more than I did. It just felt very bland in several spots that I knew should be exciting. The first fight between Bane and Batman for example left me just wanting and wishing for something better.It was a great movie, but left a lot to be desired. Even with the unrealistic expectations set by the Dark Knight, this movie is barely a shadow to that. I wanted to enjoy the movie so much more than I did. It just felt very bland in several spots that I knew should be exciting. The first fight between Bane and Batman for example left me just wanting and wishing for something better. It was almost like the movie was just going through the motions at several points. Still, it's a solid conclusion to one of the best trilogies ever made. Expand
  75. Dec 6, 2012
    There is nothing wrong with liking or loving a movie. And this does not change if that movie is critically amazing or horrible.

So love TDKR, but any critical and intelligence observation of TDKR will turn up that it fails on almost every level at be coherent, believable, and just all-round good. It has far to many faults for me to even start to outline them here, and others have already done this far better that I ever could. So all I will say is that it is an absolutely horrible film that manages to ruin everything that it had going for itself. What makes this so unbelievable and unforgivable is that the previous titles in the series were instant classics, and some of the best films of the last ten years.

Any review of this film over a 50% is undoubtedly either paid for (or other wise biased against the critics judgement) . Or was not actually written by a film critic, but simply a writer (paid or otherwise) to write a review (without any skill at actually critiquing a film).
  76. Jul 28, 2012
    "The Dark Knight" is the final story of Nolan's Batman and with the series there is a lot of lose ends to tie up and to my pleasure Nolan succeeds. He really brings the series full circle, reaching as far as the first movie. Even though the film doesn't mention the Joker, you can feel his presence through the earlier parts of the film. It feels complete and doesn't leave any loose ends,"The Dark Knight" is the final story of Nolan's Batman and with the series there is a lot of lose ends to tie up and to my pleasure Nolan succeeds. He really brings the series full circle, reaching as far as the first movie. Even though the film doesn't mention the Joker, you can feel his presence through the earlier parts of the film. It feels complete and doesn't leave any loose ends, well non that I noticed.

The film is about fear and how we must overcome it. Even if we aren't afraid fear is what keeps us going. We need to not be afraid, but we embrace it to push forward. Another theme of the film is the symbol of heroism. It can come from anywhere, but it takes one icon to carry it forward. The last major theme of the film is Moving on. There is only so much one can do and they have to know when enough is enough. A lot of heavy themes, but handle with great care.

The film is very well written and directed. We get a lot of nice sweep through the city and some really heart pounding moments. The fight scenes are well choreographed and feel as if it too is telling a story. I really like how the movie weave in the cities inner politics with the action. Even the movie is near 3hrs long, it is packed with a lot of meat. There never seems to be a dull moment. It feels like you're getting your 3hr worth of entertainment. From a dialogue point it is great too. However, at time it can feel sort of cheese mainly towards the end when Wayne has to escape from somewhere.

The characters and acting are all great. I feel like Christian Bale has finally refined his role as Batman. I felt his emotions and his body language spoke volumes. The new entries are great from Joseph Gordon-Levitt to Marion Cotillard and the older characters are just as great. My two favorite stand outs are Michael Caine and Anne Hathaway. Caine, as Alfred, really gave a powerful performance, one I think is worthy of an Oscar nomination. One scene in particular is the confrontation between Albert and Wayne, some really powerful stuff. Hathaway, as Selina, is sly, sleek, and sexy. She stole almost every scene she was in. She's a strong character with a lot of depth. She's funny, emotional, and very smart. The only disappointment is Tom Hardy as Bane. Nothing wrong with his acting, he actually gave a great performance. My only problem is that Bane is such a intimidating character with a lot of layers, but his voice ruins his impact. The voice is so over the top and cartoony that it doesn't fit in the very grim and real world Nolan created. Almost every time he spoke I was slightly detracted from the film.

Overall "The Dark Knight" is a really good film with a lot of depth and fully realized characters. However, the final confrontation between Bane and Batman is incredibly lack luster and the plot twist is incredibly stupid and contrived. It not only ruins the credibility of Bane, but also makes certain motivations unclear. Fortunately the very last scenes make up for most of the fall that the plot twist brought. I give is a very very very high 4/5, a satisfying conclusion to one of the biggest trilogies of the past decade.

"Muy Caliente"
  77. Jul 27, 2012
    Christopher Nolan influenced a rare and astonishing phenomenon back in 2008: He united Critics and Fanboys in glorious, peaceful accordance. Few would argue with the notion that "The Dark Knight" is the greatest superhero movie ever made. No other comic book movie even comes close. None. To compare "The Dark Knight" with lesser films like "Thor", or "Captain America", or "The AmazingChristopher Nolan influenced a rare and astonishing phenomenon back in 2008: He united Critics and Fanboys in glorious, peaceful accordance. Few would argue with the notion that "The Dark Knight" is the greatest superhero movie ever made. No other comic book movie even comes close. None. To compare "The Dark Knight" with lesser films like "Thor", or "Captain America", or "The Amazing Spiderman", is like comparing Michael Jordan with Kobe Bryant. Why even bother?
    But it seems that the overwhelming success of "The Dark Knight" has placed Nolan in an interesting position. His masterpiece left a hungry audience with rising expectations, which is reasonable effect. Wouldn't it be weird to walk in a screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" and expect the second greatest superhero movie ever made?
    Whether this closing chapter is better than its predecessors is not a major concern. All three Batman movies are exhilarating and memorable, and it can be said that they belong in a league of their own. As an artist who is constantly propelled to challenge our minds, Christopher Nolan adapts the superhero genre but does not conform to its traditions. He constructs a dark and ominous world that,s very close to our own, a world separated from the detached, happy-go-lucky playground occupied by the heroes of "The Avengers".

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/dark-knight-rises-review/
  78. Sep 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here there be SPOILERS.
    Dark Knight Rises: too vehicletastic. He drives a batcycle, he flies a batcopter -- the real Batman is just a man, a man with hermetic assassin training and a utility belt, but a man. When Batman has to use his batcopter to haul a neutron bomb out "over the bay" away from the city I feel like I'm watching a James Bond movie, not Batman.

Batman is a detective. He uses his wits to catch these guys, not his expensive toys. This Batman farmed all his detecting out to Alfred. This Batman couldn't even figure out that Miranda Tate was not all she seemed! Never trust a French chanteuse. Who haunted the dreams of that boiled owl in Inception.

I'll meet halfway on suspension of disbelief. That's why I'm in the theatre. But the halfway part . . . If you don't show up at the meeting place, and I have to go across town and over to your house, and you don't answer the door, and I let myself in and there's some Hans Zimmer on the stereo and the bathroom window's open and you've written in steam on the mirror SCREW YOU . . . I don't know. Okay, so Bane broke Batman's back and had him shipped out to the Moorish prison hole of his past. But when a helpful fellow prisoner explains "You won't be able to move until I fix your back . . . Your vertebra is sticking out . . ." and punches it back into place . . . leading to a complete recovery . . . again, I don't know.

Nolan seems to have trouble structuring his stories. Toward the end of a long film is not where one wants a protagonist defeat-imprisonment-recovery-escape sequence. If you've gotta have that, it could come at the end of act one. Or, heaven forbid, defeat-imprisonment at the end of the film, and recovery-escape at the top of Dark Knight Rises: The Final Chapter. (Inception, too, seemed to stumble about like a drunk in the video store.)

Don't like Anne Hathaway and don't like Catwoman's mood-killing postmodern quips. Get Eartha Kitt to do it digitally like Brando in Superman Returns. In three of these Nolan Batmans there's never been a decent female character for Batman to play off of. The vanishing Katie Holmes, the game Maggie Gyllenhaal -- he just didn't write anything for em to do.

I must not have been completely under the spell of the film, because when the batcopter, on its way out to the bay, hoists that bomb over a school bus full of orphans (and the bland Joseph Gordon-Levitt) I was thinking "How great would it be if that bomb slammed into that bus like a wrecking ball?" Sadly, it was not to be.

The movie lurched up to the brink of an interesting idea -- what if Batman lost all his money -- and then wobbled away in some other narrative precession. Rather than showing us Batman surviving on his own, defeating Bane without his pricey hardware -- the real Batman -- Nolan hurriedly got him back into the copter. I would have liked to have seen that other movie, with broke street Batman.

I guess since losing his parents Bruce Wayne has used his money to insulate himself, with the suit, the copter -- but that would be a theme for a movie with something on its mind. Dark Knight Rises feints toward political content, but merely uses the motif of class uprising as another exotic/gritty backdrop in a bloated action movie. The film is uninterested in exploring any of the questions it raises. Hell, it's uninterested in raising any questions.

Of course this is the director who made a 148 minute film about dreams without a single memorable image or surreal moment. (It only felt like 192 minutes). In fact in Nolan's career I can remember exactly one image: Carrie Ann Moss' look of absolute evil, sitting in the car toward the end of Memento.
  79. Jul 22, 2012
    This film was a huge let down, it spends so much time developing characters, and a story and for the first 2 hours it builds up the film. But then as the plot twists come, and things are revealed, you realise most of the build up is now actually undone, and contradictory. the only good thing about this film is the acting and once again the realism brought to the world, but this time onlyThis film was a huge let down, it spends so much time developing characters, and a story and for the first 2 hours it builds up the film. But then as the plot twists come, and things are revealed, you realise most of the build up is now actually undone, and contradictory. the only good thing about this film is the acting and once again the realism brought to the world, but this time only to the characters and not to the city or gadgets. the film stands on the shoulders of the performance of tom hardy, micheal cane, anne hathaway, gary oldman and so on, but the terrible story, and the unjustifiable plot twists and continuity errors and even the lack of knowledge on the american governments abilities, make this a fall from grace of its prequels. Expand
  80. Jul 20, 2012
    While not as good as its predecessor, The Dark Knight Rises still shows off the skills of all involved. It doesn't have anything like Heath Ledger's runaway performance as the Joker, but Tom Hardy's turn as Bane was pretty damn good, though his voice sounded slightly Connery-ish at times and could be hard to understand. Bale turned in another wonderful go at being the Bat, and Gary OldmanWhile not as good as its predecessor, The Dark Knight Rises still shows off the skills of all involved. It doesn't have anything like Heath Ledger's runaway performance as the Joker, but Tom Hardy's turn as Bane was pretty damn good, though his voice sounded slightly Connery-ish at times and could be hard to understand. Bale turned in another wonderful go at being the Bat, and Gary Oldman was magnificent as always as Commissioner James Gordon. However, I feel like the writing was a bit weaker this time around, with some out-of-character actions from some characters that spoiled parts, but the resolution and tension of the plot managed to keep me involved. Expand
  81. Jul 20, 2012
    Insane film! But - nowhere near as good as Dark Knight. Sorry, and nostalgia out of the way, it's the truth. Also one thing I found this film was lacking was a sense of Gotham. The scale was so huge it just felt like Batman in New York/USA. And the very scene which was equally one of the best scenes of the whole film was the American Football scene. Why the boy sang the american nationalInsane film! But - nowhere near as good as Dark Knight. Sorry, and nostalgia out of the way, it's the truth. Also one thing I found this film was lacking was a sense of Gotham. The scale was so huge it just felt like Batman in New York/USA. And the very scene which was equally one of the best scenes of the whole film was the American Football scene. Why the boy sang the american national anthem in the fictional city is beyond me really. I know Gotham is meant to be an american city and all but it really took me out of the feeling that this is Gotham, the dark and dank, home of Batman. It made me feel - they've just filmed this in american cities posing as Gotham. THIS IS NOT GOTHAM. But apart from that - good film. Expand
  82. Jul 27, 2012
    After seeing "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight", the expectetions for this film are gigantic. Unfortunately, the film is not as good as the others, mostly because it has too many characters, and some of them aren't really important and don't have any purpose. This is the only problem of the film, everything else is fantastic! The script is greatly written, the new characters (Bane,After seeing "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight", the expectetions for this film are gigantic. Unfortunately, the film is not as good as the others, mostly because it has too many characters, and some of them aren't really important and don't have any purpose. This is the only problem of the film, everything else is fantastic! The script is greatly written, the new characters (Bane, Selina, Blake) are multidimensional, Tom Hardy in the role of Bane is great and the action scenes are memorable. The Dark Knight Rises has a fearless and beautiful ending, perfect to end the beloved Batman trilogy. Expand
  83. Jul 26, 2012
    I saw this movie a couple of days ago, and in my opinion this movie met my expectations. There may have been a few little things that kind of bugged me but it was worth the money all the way.
  84. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is a fitting end to the trilogy. My expectations were pretty high going into the movie, and the movie did a good job of meeting my expectations. Personally, I like the Dark Knight and Batman Begins better than this movie. The DKR is definitely worth seeing, though. I would recommend watching the first two movies again before seeing this one. It will help youThe Dark Knight Rises is a fitting end to the trilogy. My expectations were pretty high going into the movie, and the movie did a good job of meeting my expectations. Personally, I like the Dark Knight and Batman Begins better than this movie. The DKR is definitely worth seeing, though. I would recommend watching the first two movies again before seeing this one. It will help you remember some of the characters and events in the previous movies that are important. Expand
  85. Jul 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the film I have waited for months for and I then even had to wait until orange Wednesday because I Expand
  86. Jul 20, 2012
    Solid, fitting ending to an excellent trilogy. Strong themes ring as true as ever. Great performances all around. Bane can't quite match up to the Joker, but acknowledging that going in, is your best bet to better enjoy the movie. Whereas Joker allowed for great dialogue, Bane at least offers some solid fight sequences.
  87. Jul 21, 2012
    Best batman movie by far. And for all of the victims I'm so sorry for the families. Ghhhgffffjggggjhfffhhggfgjgggggghhhhghhhhhhhhhhggg gucfzgdrggfddtuhf
  88. Jul 21, 2012
    Its worth seeing on the big screen. Christian Bale is without doubt the best Batman and Anne Hathaway plays Cat woman well. The story is good and although it's a long film, you are entertained all the way and there was no "how much longer" butt shuffling. The evil Bain's distorted voice is hard to make out at times but you get the drift. There's a little too much machine gun mowing andIts worth seeing on the big screen. Christian Bale is without doubt the best Batman and Anne Hathaway plays Cat woman well. The story is good and although it's a long film, you are entertained all the way and there was no "how much longer" butt shuffling. The evil Bain's distorted voice is hard to make out at times but you get the drift. There's a little too much machine gun mowing and needless deaths for my liking, but that aside, it's a good film with a well rounded ending. Expand
  89. Jul 26, 2012
    With an epic fight sequence in an aircraft, Christopher Nolan and his team bring us Batman back on the big screen. Main villain Bane shows who's running the show in the first minutes of the epic final, 'The Dark Knight Rises' and after a while we also get to see the title-giving hero of Gotham City, Bruce Wayne aka Batman himself. As it was announced in 'The Dark Knight', he settled downWith an epic fight sequence in an aircraft, Christopher Nolan and his team bring us Batman back on the big screen. Main villain Bane shows who's running the show in the first minutes of the epic final, 'The Dark Knight Rises' and after a while we also get to see the title-giving hero of Gotham City, Bruce Wayne aka Batman himself. As it was announced in 'The Dark Knight', he settled down after losing his longtime love, Rachel, and being accused for killing Gotham's former district attorney, Harvey Dent. But as he gets tricked by cat burglar Selina Kyle (nicely played by Anne Hathaway), better known as Catwoman, he finally comes out of his hibernation, to fight for Gotham one last time. Also new in the cast: Joseph Gordon-Levitt as assiduous police officer and Marion Cotillard as an important member of Wayne Enterprises. Ah yeah, and Tom Hardy plays Bane, but that Expand
  90. Jul 23, 2012
    well the latest batman film from Christopher Nolan is a fantastic experience for batman fans, comic book fans and anyone who into seeing **** explode. the movie has some great moments and great action scenes ( i won't go into detail on these events, due to spoilers) and the ending sure is a reason to see the movie and it wraps up the trilogy perfectly.
  91. Jul 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is an urban legend that with trilogies, the second installment would be better than the third because they have thought of everything out in the second, and the third would be just a rehashing of ideas, if not implemeting less than stellar ones. I thought Christopher Nolan would be the one who would rise above this curse. I thought wrong.

First up, know that I had not refreshed my memory on the Batman trilogy by rewatching the first two movies beforehand. Second I was seriously not expecting an actor that would achieve the heights of the late Heath Ledger. Bless his soul, anyone who tries to replicate him would fail. Keep these two facts in mind as I review the movie.

For Pros: The movie has achieved its overall objective of completing Bruce Wayne's story arc, whilst intertwining it with the Bane/Talia plot. Whilst the plot is simplistic than TDK, the whole theme of TDKR is physical pain, not intellectual prowess. Tom Hardy portrayed an excellent performance of Bane based on the comics, a brute with the intellect that is simply not befitting the stereotypical mook. His body and eye expressions are amplifying the words he speaks. The use of autotunes on Hardy's voice is initially weird, since you get a voice not too dissimilar to Sean Connery, but is acceptable nonetheless. Too bad he is not the principal villain in this movie, or I would have given him an A. Anne Hathaway portrays Catwoman stunningly. A woman that can easily act and adapt to her situation, she is indeed Batman's match. There is something unique with her portrayal that makes he beautiful on the outside and inside without being as seductive as Michelle Pfeifer did, but still achieving the same result.

Michael Caine, despite his more brief appearances, still manages to portray an Alfred who is also a fatherlike figure of Bruce Wayne. In fact, his penultimate scene with Bruce in the manor (telling the secret of Rachel's letter), was almost tear-jerking. If only the movie had more of the emotional impact that Caine had pulled with his character, it would have bumped the score up.

Bale did try to portray a Bruce Wayne bored of his "normal" life, and a Batman that has been rusty since TDK. While great, there is actually no impact whatsoever from his performance, partially because of how the movie was structured.

TDKR is more action oriented, but not as obnoxiously loud as Avengers and Transformers. While more action does not necessarily make a bad movie, TDKR suffers from unfocused storytelling, coupled with a "take it for granted" attitude of the audience, that they already know about the previous two movies. It will not hold your hand if you feel lost at what is going on, expect to be left high and dry as I was. Sure you get flashbacks that make sense, but the actual emotion and atmosphere must be extrapolated from recent This is where the CONS start; the two parallel plots of Bruce and Bane/Talia felt as if they were at loggerheads, instead of meshing seamlessly. You feel as if the movie has no idea which direction it was going, but it still managed to reach a climax nonetheless. In between you get references to previous movies and how it affects TDKR currently (e.g Dent Act, Dent's alleged matyrdom), but because of the unfocused approach there is no Ahhhhh moment where you feel the true nature of such acts. It is just mentioned, you know about it, moving on..... With so much examples of this storytelling, any emotion or atmosphere created is just ruined.

There is also quite a bit of plot holes and applied phlebotinums (movie magic), such as Bruce's crippled state and his cure, backstory on how Wayne Enterprises fell apart, how the reactor came to be as well as how "Miranda Tate" came into the picture. All of these may seem superfluous, but given the storytelling it only makes you feel as if these elements had more to it. It was as if the 2.5 hour movie was cut from an otherwise perfect 4 hr version.

The ending was the product of this storytelling. Never mind the use of comic book deaths, or how Blake becomes the next Batman simply by reading a note and moving to the Batcave. Its the Selina and Bruce romance. I get the symbolism and what Nolan was trying to do, but the execution is p*** poor. There is no romantic tension between the two, or if there was, it was completely one-sided on Selina's side. I am not expecting sex (that was done with Talia), but from the man who made the Rachel romance great, this is a bad U-turn. A romance that was too sudden.

I want to give this movie a mixed, but it doesnt deserve it. Many fans tell me the movie was akin to Begins. If that's the case it is a bad sign; I had completely forgotten Begins and have no incentive to rewatch it like TDK. And even to die-hard Batman fans, lets face it, it is not as great as TDK even without Heath's magic working on it.
  92. Jul 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a huge fan of the Dark Knight Trilogy. But this film really put everything together properly of a good bad guy. With Bane giving Batman many chances at foiling his plot to destroy Gotham city he really dropped the ball and allowed Batman to Escape Twice & to carry the bomb away from Gotham and to save the city. If Bane was truly a "Villain" he wouldn't have just let the cops of Gotham city just sit in hole and allow them to possibly escape and also foil his scheme...which they did while being added by Batman. I also expected a much better ending to the movie. I wish they could have tried to do better with the writing. Expand
  93. Dec 28, 2012
    Somewhat disappointed. I am in the minority I think, in that I rate Batman Begins as the best Superhero movie ever, it actually was a very good movie with a superhero. The Dark Knight Rises could have maybe surpassed it had it been one movie (beginning and ending with the joker) rather than meandering further along with the much less interesting "two face" story. But getting to The DarkSomewhat disappointed. I am in the minority I think, in that I rate Batman Begins as the best Superhero movie ever, it actually was a very good movie with a superhero. The Dark Knight Rises could have maybe surpassed it had it been one movie (beginning and ending with the joker) rather than meandering further along with the much less interesting "two face" story. But getting to The Dark Knight Rises, villain, OK, not great, catwomen, great, Michael Cain and Morgan Freeman, their usual able and likable selves, but nothing new added.

My main problem with the movie was this, I can buy into superheroes and supevillians in movies, but the world they function in still has to have a certain believability in terms of rules and logic. So a guy takes a whole city hostage, and the world just kind of steps back and watches because of the threat of blowing everybody up or whatever? Wouldn't there be some special ops or at least intelligence operations being undertaken by the US Govt? I know its a movie, but that part just seemed too goofy to get beyond to me, the whole city takeover and helpless for 60 days or whatever. The good, the beginning, most any scene with Anne Hathaway, the very end tied it all up pretty well and was pretty cool. The mediocre, pretty much the rest of the movie.
  94. Aug 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. At first, I thought TDKR was an awesome movie, but I was still affected by the hype. As the excitement went down, I noticed several major flaws that affect the film as a whole. 1. What was the point of the blood transfusion at the beginning? 2. If Bane was so intelligent, why did he put Bruce Wayne right next to the guy that could heal his back? 3. The prison was supposed to be hell on Earth, but it was far from it. The inmates were pretty good fellows that for some reason, decide to cheer and help Bruce Wayne when he needs it. Why do they get so excited when Bruce Wayne escapes? 4. The inmates had the prison exit right in front of their faces and only a kid managed to get out? really? 5. If Batman is so intelligent, why did he end settling down with the woman that kept screwing him the entire movie? 6. Bane had the most lame conclusion the writers could come up with. It was so anticlimactic to see that Selina Kyle could do in one second what Batman couldn't do in the entire film 7. As Batman fans saw coming from a mile away, Miranda Tate was indeed Talia Al Ghul. Too bad she only has like 20 minutes of screen time and that one of the most memorable characters from the comics was reduced to a promiscuous megalomaniac. And just like Bane, she had a very poor conclusion 8. Regarding the ending, I have the impression Christopher Nolan wanted Batman to die but Warner Bros executives wouldn't let him, so he had no other choice but to go with a corny nonsensical conclusion 9. The part where TDKR resembles Batman and Robin is in how Bane is portrayed as the pawn of an evil crazy slut. 10. Why did Bruce Wayne had his leg wounded all that time when he could have easily fixed it in the beginning with that device he uses later? 11. The way John Blake deduces Batman's identity is too random and I never bought it. 12. The first 30 minutes of TKDR are just boring exposition which is quite hard to follow at times. 13. The fact that Joker is never mentioned in the movie. I know they didn't speak of him in respect to Heath Ledger, but at least they could have used an audio track of his laughter just to point out Joker is still hanging around. 14. There's no way in the real world a woman ends in a male prison. 15. The Robin twist at the ending was pointless keeping in mind TDKR is the last Nolan Batman movie so it will most likely go nowhere. It was only there for fanboys to say "wow! he's Robin, let's get excited!" They could have named the character Dick Grayson and it wouldn't have made any difference. Not to mention Joseph Gordon Levitt is too old to be Robin by now. In any case, he could be Nightwing. Expand
  95. Aug 23, 2012
    it looks nice and has some good parts but i spent at least over hour and thirty minutes of this 2 hour 45 minute movie completely bored and it doesn't help that bane sounds like sean connery
  96. Sep 4, 2012
    Firstly, this movie is not as good as the last one. Fair enough. But it is also less inline with the Batman univerce. Bane is nerfed, Talia is weird, catwoman is.. to say the least.. less atractive than she should be. (What happened to flirting on rooftops and such? Now she's just some cat burglerer with lame lines?!) In my oppinion, this movie tried to hard to be a reimagining of 'TheFirstly, this movie is not as good as the last one. Fair enough. But it is also less inline with the Batman univerce. Bane is nerfed, Talia is weird, catwoman is.. to say the least.. less atractive than she should be. (What happened to flirting on rooftops and such? Now she's just some cat burglerer with lame lines?!) In my oppinion, this movie tried to hard to be a reimagining of 'The Dark Knight Returns' (Comic) mashed with the beginings of Batman Beyond, instead of completing Nolans trilogy. As a movie, it was ok, as a Batman movie, it steps too far out of the Batman univerce for me, a bat fan, to enjoy and accept. Like I said, it is a good movie, and has a lot to offer, I am just dissapointed that Nolan deviated so far from Batmans actual time line etc. Also, I felt that bane was a poor choice of villan for Nolan, because he is not meant to be 'realistic'. Nolan likes to pick and choose what can and cant be realistic. Batman can have a hovercraft, but bane cant have Venom?! He should have picked the Riddler, or maybe Mad Hatter or FireFly instead. Watch the movie, if you started liking Batman after Batman Begins, you will probably like it. But if you are an old fan, you might just be let down. Expand
  97. Sep 10, 2012
    I felt both Batman and Bruce Wayne were dumbed-down so the plot could work, which disappointed me so much so the entire movie wasn't enjoyable even when it should have been.

If I were watching Dark Knight Rises as just another action movie, without any prior knowledge of anything-Batman, I'd probably be happier with the movie.
  98. Oct 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Batman: The Dark Night Rises

The most recent and final movie in the Batman trilogy opens with a bang, literally. The final movie uses pretty but pointless CGI and explosions to draw attention from the movie

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.