8.4

1. Jul 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most who rated this mixed have nailed it: it's a good movie in general but it is the worst movie of the Dark Knight trilogy.

The movie is very uneven. The first half was pretty intriguing with the introduction of the characters and the plot unfolding whereas the second half seemed rushed and rather unimaginative (oh! a nuclear bomb!), filled with plot holes and unecessary and uninteresting scenes. The movie is nearly 3 hours long but I didn't feel like there were much going on (not like in the case of The Dark Knight, for example). This is because of the lack of memorable moments in this movie -- there are lots of different stuff going on but nothing really important or intriguing. There is too superfluous characters: Robin shouldn't be in the movie; nor this lady who turned out to be the evil mastermind (I didn't even care enough to remember her name). The movie should have focused more on Bane, Catwomen and Batman. Robin took way too much screen time but didn't actually add true value to the story. (What's funny was that I was actually surprised that he was really Robin since I said to myself it can't be that obvious.) They put Robin in there obviously because they plan to make more Batman movies. I guess The Dark Knight Rises is victim of greed. Anothing thing superflous, boring and rather stupid: the entire time Bruce Wayne spent in that hole/prison. They should have completely eliminated that part of the story. That is precious screen time where we don't see Batman. Bruce fixing his broken back in prison was totally ridiculous. It is frustrating so little we are seeing of the Bat in this movie. Furthermore, aside from the first fight with Bane, the few other Batman presences were underwhelming, especially his final appearance. Most of the time, he's sitting in his flying machine or on his bike. Bane: another big disappointment. The voice was terrible. I thought it was just me but judging from the comments, I wasn't alone having difficulty understanding what Bane was saying. The development of the Bane character was a major element in the uneveness of this movie. Up until the first fight with Batman, I had this marvel towards the character. After that fight, it seems the development of the character just abruptly stopped. It's as if once he broke Batman, there's nothing left to be said about Bane. Bane was frustratingly under-developed and under-utilized. Also, the fact that that woman was actually the mastermind behind the evil plot and how Bane was dealt with contributed in significantly diminishing the super-villain's "character value".

Finally, a better ending would have Batman really sacrificing himself to save Gotham and have the young detective (Robin) become the new Batman. That would have given the movie a much needed and appropriate dark tint. But as usual with Hollywood, it prefers the perfect all is good and well ending.

All in all, Rises is a mediocre movie by Nolan's standard. He should have waited for a more polished script before working on this one but I can imagine he may be subject to pressure from the business people.
  2. Jul 28, 2012
    Absolute Perfection! After waiting almost a year since first Trailer, I couldn't be more satisfied as I am. It was a really good and entertain movie.
  3. Jul 29, 2012
    Magistral , monumental, épico, sin duda la mejor película de superhéroes jamás creada. Perderse ésta película sería un crimen y es más después de verla le van a dar ganas de repetir.
  4. Jul 29, 2012
    I adored Batman Begins and thought Nolan couldn't top it, and thought he pushed superhero movies to the limit with TDK. Nolan has done it again with TDKR. The movie strives, not for being the 3rd and final installment in the series, but for being different. TDKR isn't just another Batman movie and doesn't try to ride on the success of TDK, it changes the tone almost completely. That is why I enjoyed the movie, because it felt fresh. Your introduced to many new characters like Blake and Catwoman, both Gordan and Hathaway played their roles fantastic. Bale is the best Batman I have ever seen and his acting skills shined in TDKR. I do believe Bane came close to the Joker in the TDK. Because he gave off a feeling of true evil as Tom Hardy played a engrossingly disturbing character. I have heard complaints of plot holes and can tell you there aren't any. Go see this movie. Expand
  5. Jul 29, 2012
    One word: boring. From the numerous plot holes and head-scratchers to Catwoman's tedious and bland acting to the predictable and samey dialog; This is a pathetic ending to the Batman trilogy. I did walk out on this movie, about 3/4's of the way through. Was falling asleep in my seat. My largest gripe is the bad writing. Things happen by accident. One of the characters HAPPENS to stumble on the operations of the biggest bad in Gotham being kept secret for months / years. The Big Bad HAPPENS to know where the treasure vault is, when ostensibly no one know where it is, etc, etc. Relying on coincidence, always the hallmark of bad writing.

Secondly the plot and motivations for things done in the movie are largely incoherent. Why does Batman (of the movie), care one whit for this two dimensional cut out of Catwoman and go out of his way to save her? Why is it understood that she is any use when it comes to finding the Big Bad at all, when she appears to be a low level pawn? Why is that stupid stunt done with the airplane (see your trailer) when it's not even clear the "snatch and grab" that takes place is even needed? All in all, the movie play's more like a bad video game tie in than anything: All the set pieces (i.e. fight scenes or big stupid explosions) are planned out in advance and the plot is stitched together to "make it work".

There were some pretty clumsy and stupid jabs at "the rich" in the movie, which was just distracting and tedious. Yes guys, we get it: it's popular to bag on the rich. But if you're going to do it, at least do it competently. Batman, and to a lesser extent the city of Gotham itself, has been about this very subject. So I'm not sure why the "writer's" of this "fine film" would go out of their way to clumsily add non-canon whining and bad dialog, when you already have canon content that does the job quite well.

Weirdly I liked the side-characters more than what the writer's had the main character's doing all movie. The one cop who's in the batman fan club from word "Go" (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) that they spend an inordinate amount of time characterizing does a VERY good job and is more likeable than Bale as Batman. I *assume* they kill him off at some point to get a stupid tug at the heart strings. But I was expecting him to be the new Robin there for a bit.

There was good acting to be sure, just not Cat Woman. There is TONS of source material for each of the characters in the Batman universe, including Cat Woman. Cat Woman is normally portrayed (in the comics), as a more complex character than that "thing" that we had the misfortune of seeing Ms. Hathaway clumsily paw her way through.

I did like the music, if overdone at times ("Yes, we get it guys, beating drums make things more exciting").

One thing I thought was ironic as a good many of the character's in the film do or say things that indicate their strong belief that the concept of Batman itself is tired, outdated and unnecessary. A weird message for the movie ABOUT the Batman to have. And they actually bring up some cogent points! Unfortunately the bad writing they give Bale gives no indication of maturation, a good reason for him being the Batman or even an indication that he's thrill seeking or attempting to recapture lost glories. Which they out and out accuse him of at multiple points within the movie itself!

If you're going to beat the audience over the head with a "motivation" of the main character, at least have the main character himself attempt to express that motivation!
  6. Jul 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After seeing this movie the first time, it was almost surreal. I had been waiting so long for it and when it was finally over it was almost sad knowing that Nolan's really done making his interpretation of Batman. That being said, I will not be one of those people that compare it to The Dark Knight. This was a whole different movie in itself, as The Dark Knight was a completely different movie than Batman Begins. My only gripe after watching this movie was that the almost 3 hour runtime almost didn't seem like enough. There was a LOT of story told in a very brisk pace. This movie certainly warrants two views. After watching it the second time, I was really able to sit back and take in the plot points forming around all the characters. I found this movie emotionally gripping to a large degree. The first fight between Bane and Batman was so intense yet satisfying being that the first comic series I ever read was the Knightfall saga. My favorite scenes had to be Bruce escaping the well finally as well as well as the ending which was infinitely satisfying. The flashback to Gordon putting the coat around a young Bruce Wayne in the film's end was stirring to me. This movie was not Oscar worthy, but it is by far the best movie I have seen this year. Being that Batman has always been my favorite superhero, it is saddening to me that this trilogy is finally over due to the fact that I don't believe any director will ever explore the Bruce/Batman and is surrounding world so vividly and deep. Christopher Nolan has done such a great job emotionally investing the audience with these characters. I heard sniffles all around when Alfred was crying at Bruce Wayne's tombstone. All in all, this was just a fantastic movie. Expand
  7. Jul 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The one thing I will admit is that the film isn't as good as the dark knight, but other than that I really enjoyed it, the twists in the film were really entertaining and kept me wondering what the next step for the plot was, not one point in the film was I off the edge of my seat.
    Also I thought every actor gave a performance to be proud of with perfect timing and emotion.
    Nolan should be proud of this masterpiece, best film of 2012 so far.
  8. Jul 29, 2012
    As someone who adores Batman Begins and The Dark Knight I had high hopes for The Dark Knight Rises. Unfortunately, I found it very disappointing for several reasons. For one, Tom Hardy's Bane is largely inaudible throughout. Also, if I'm being honest, I think his voice sounds a bit camp at times too. He's a great actor and capable of playing brooding, menacing characters well (see Bronson if you don't believe me!), which makes his performance in TDKR all the more disappointing and frustrating in equal measure.
    Secondly, this film is loaded with plot holes. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight have a fair few, but nowhere near as many as this one does. Furthermore, Hans Zimmer's score is incredibly irritating - it seems to be playing in the background of almost every scene and is increasingly distracting. Bane and Batman's one-on-one fights look, and feel, as if they have been choreographed by wrestlers from WWE. They lack any intensity or suspense. TDKR moves at such an unforgiving pace that it's hard to absorb everything that happens. Ultimately, as a result of this, the film lacks any emotional depth. We don't feel for Bruce Wayne here in the same way we do for him in BB or TDK.
    Fortunately though, it isn't all bad. Anne Hathaway plays the role of Selina Kyle well enough, conveying a sense of playful mischief, and Michael Caine is excellent as Alfred.
    But, I had been waiting years for this film and had been expecting an entertaining and enthralling conclusion to Chris Nolan's Batman trilogy, but left the movie theatre feeling exhausted and dejected by its failings.
  9. Jul 29, 2012
    A brilliant film overall, although quite slow in the beginning and was a little hard to hear Bane's voice throughout the film (this may be because i sat quite close to the screen in the cinema). A must watch for fans of Nolan's films and of Batman in general
  10. Jul 30, 2012
    This movie was absolutely great. It made me feel all good inside. OMG it was so good!!! Many parts were great in the movie giving an epic feel to the overall movie including the moment batman comes out once more and the final fight scene with bane and all the police. I also enjoyed the fact that in the end you are given a little awesome boost with robin!!!
  11. Jul 30, 2012
    Simply the best...better than all the rest!!! this movie right here had me on the edge of my seat the whole entire film..I was literally amazed at hw excellent The Dark Knight Rises is such an involving story of seeing our favorite hero rise..go see this as many times as u deem necessary lets all make this the biggest movie of all time!! i have already seen it twice and the 2nd time really let me know..this is the best movie of any kind i have ever seen and nw iam ready for my third viewing in the IMAX .Christopher Nolan u are a genius Expand
  12. Jul 31, 2012
    A good ending for an excellent trilogy. But bear in mind, that you must of watch 1 and 2 to really enjoy this story and look at it from a real world perspective.
  13. Jul 31, 2012
    Outstanding movie! I was not expecting much, with the Joker gone, but it totally defeated my expectations. The villain was interesting, the back story was fascinating, and had some great new characters. The ending of this movie was AMAZING. I alternately cried, laughed and gaped in awe at the ending of this movie. The only downside (if it can be considered that), is how long the movie is, but it's worth it for the content. Don't get up partway through for the bathroom, you don't want to miss a thing. Expand
  14. Aug 1, 2012
    I liked the first one, loved the second one, and was bored through this third installment in a what is now, in my opinion, mediocre trilogy.

The performances were well played. The cinematic grandeur was there. The pomp and style was pompy, and stylized. The plot, however, was a mix of rehashed sentiment from the first movie, and what I can only describe as random stuff. I wanted to like
    this film, but I didn't -get it-. I didn't know what the motivation was. Why so many characters knew so much about things they shouldn't have known about. Why there was so much drive, motivation, from certain characters. I saw the performance play out, I understood what had just happened, but I still never knew the why?

So much emotion wrapped unnecessarily in inexplicable actions. If I had missed this movie, I wouldn't have noticed.
  15. Jul 31, 2012
    This movie stands out as a great film, even with some plot holes and the bad guys in the film did have an absurd evil plan, but it does meshes well with the other two former movies to create a perfect trilogy.
  16. Aug 2, 2012
    Although it was a great movie, it could never live up to it's expectations. Very much on par with the second film though. Great completion to an awesome trilogy.
  17. Aug 2, 2012
    TDKR is an amazing movie even when compared with the first two. Although it lacks the depth that is expected from a Nolan film it ends the trilogy perfectly and ties up all three movies. TDKR gets even better the more that you watch it and you feel that you get more out of it when you do. By far the best movie I have seen since Dark Knight.
  18. Aug 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nolan opens a door on a new vision to realize in the cinema the Super-hero. A disturbing Trilogy, TDKR is already, according to me, the Cult movie. The most disturbing of the Trilogy, TDKR goes up in crescendo in one unprecedented finale in this genre. Expand
  19. Aug 5, 2012
    To put it shortly; it's good, but not as good as people make it out to be. The plot is great, the score is superb, the action sequences are mostly top notch, and the actors deliver solid performances. Unfortunately, the movie also contains obvious flaws. It's got a fair few cliches, Bane is not that great of a villain, and the ending doesn't leave enough to the imagination.
  20. Aug 6, 2012
    The dark Night rises was not worth the watch the lighting of my wallet was considerably noticeable after this film. Bruce Wayne does not lose cartilage, he doesn't allow a maid to rob him blind unnoticed and he certainly doesn't get thrown in a hole. Poor movie expected more the fact that there was only one point in the movie that actually caught me off guard means the dark night rises should have stayed in bed. Expected more. Expand
  21. Aug 8, 2012
    It was a pretty damn good movie, it had a very strong plot and story, the acting was very good, although I can imagine the actor who played Bane was having fun walking around not saying anything. I can't help but say though, that 'The Dark Knight' was much better than the 3rd installment, without the Joker, no Batman film will ever be the same.
  22. Aug 7, 2012
    Being a big fan of Christopher Nolan's work and loving the other two Batman films, I was well and truly excited to see this one. Maybe a little too excited as I left the cinema knowing I had just witnessed an amazing film, but had mixed feelings about it probably because I was expecting too much after The Dark Knight. At the same time I felt gutted that this would be it as Nolan wouldn't be making any more.
    After reading numerous reviews on here and in other places, I felt compelled to see it again.
    So, last night I did. So glad I did. Even though I knew how the film ended it was still an exciting experience. My cinema ticket (which was in my hand), had been ripped to pieces towards the climax.
    On second viewing you get a chance to take much more in.
    The acting was superb across the board with Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle the best of the lot.
    I never doubted for a minute she would be a great choice and she didn't let me down.
    Can't wait for the DVD release which will hopefully have extended scenes. When that comes out I will watch the whole trilogy in it's entirety.
    Brilliant ending to a brilliant Batman series beautifully directed by the master of modern film making.
    Classic.
  23. Aug 7, 2012
    This movie is EPIC! Very ambitious for just one movie, but it was a hell of a movie. Intense action, drama, and suspense that puts you at the edge of your seat. Tom Hardy was amazing and frightening. Bale has given his BEST performance by far as Batman, very powerful. Hathaway!..... I really didn't saw this one coming!! She truly nailed it as catwoman!! The cast, the plot, the fxs, music, it was all amazing!! All of this batman films stand alone and they altogether establish one of the best trilogies of all time... and the fact that it deals with a superhero is impressive! Overall the movie is a glorious achievement for Nolan and the icing on the cake for this near perfect trilogy!! I recommend to see twice!! Expand
  24. Aug 8, 2012
    Christopher Nolan's Batman triology is what spawned my love for Batman. From Batman Begins ive been always waiting for the next one and I'm pretty upset that the series is ending here because I believe that Christopher Nolan could have done so much more with characters such as the RIddler and the Penguin. But at the end of the movie I found my self content with the ending. I think the movie as a whole was great as the rest of the series and it ended things where you can wonder what happened after and where if thats it then you can be satisfied knowing things ended well. Expand
  25. Aug 9, 2012
    A good film but not up to the prequels! Catwoman is poorly characterized, Batman seems kept in the background leaving space to Bane mostly and this film looks a TV detective series more than a movie inspired by Batman! Beyond this the movie has written good and it's enought enjoyable. Sufficiency is deserved.
  26. Aug 10, 2012
    Very well done conclusion to the trilogy with enough plot to have easily made up two movies and taken up over four hours. As it stands, the plot was squeezed and rushed through an already long time frame, but the movie comes out aces due to great performances from Caine, Bale, and Hathaway.
  27. Aug 10, 2012
    Its a really good movie and just what I expect from Christopher Nolan.its just like any other movies that Christopher Nolan makes it has a great plot and a good ending, but officer Blake should've been the kid that Bruce Wayne/batman gave one of his 'gadgets' to from batman:begins. Bruce Wayne has hidden his identity from the whole citizens of Gotham and for a mere kid to know he's batman is just impossible. Expand
  28. Aug 14, 2012
    Muy buena película y muy buena trilogía. sinceramente no creo que alguien pueda hacer una mejor película con un mejor final sobre Batman. el villano Bane tal vez no sea mejor que el Joker de The Dark knight pero en términos generales la película cumple con lo esperado. muy buenas actuaciones e historia , totalmente recomendada.
  29. Aug 16, 2012
    Christopher Nolan returns to surprise us with their talent in this latest installment of the trilogy. The Dark Knight Rises. With a good cast, with a dash well structured, with shocking music, with a plot in constant suspense, with a good close, Nolan takes Batman another level. Darker, dramatic and shattering than any other film of a comic book superhero. Hopefully this great director back soon with another of his great movies. Expand
  30. Aug 18, 2012
    A 2 hour and 45 minute movie that will span greatness to the world. The Dark Knight Rises is not only one of the BEST films I have ever seen, it is the BEST superhero film ever made. I have never shivered because of a villain in any movie. Bane made me shiver. Tom Hardy did an excellent job playing such an evil part. The twists were just as great. By far though, the star of the movie was Anne Hathaway for her stunning performance as Selina Kyle/Catwoman. She played the role like she has been that person her whole life. Absolutely stunning. My only complaint was that they didn't include Bane's backstory, but other than that, this film was a site to behold. Christian Bale did his finest work as the playboy billionaire turned hero Bruce Wayne/Batman. David S. Goyer wrote a fantastic story as well. The end of the movie was a total cliffhanger also. Everybody in the theater thought this may actually be the end, but turns out, it may not be the end. Here comes sequels... Christopher Nolan, you have done it again. Expand
  31. Aug 29, 2012
    This movie was awesome from the beginning to the end. I never enjoyed in a movie that good since The Dark Knight. The previous movie was way better. But this one was good too, it was exciting all the time. Anne Hathaway really surprised me with such performance. Also the ending was pretty amazing.
    The only thing I didn't liked about the movie was the ending with Blake - this was
    unnecessary. But anyway, it's a good movie. Expand
  32. Aug 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Too long, too boring, too stupid, too predictable. When you watch first scene in airplane you think nice directing and action but the story behind it and Bane's plan was so stupid that it was too funny to watch. A plot where some body builder with mask lock all of city policeman's (smart guys!) in a subway under city and than announce it on some football game followed with unnecessary violence (trough all the scenes with Bane) to make some stupid point is rubbish. Complete and utter rubbish. Bane breaks Batman's back and he get miraculously cured hanging from a rope in a cave! He liberates all policemen ant they attack Bane's people in that legendary scene where 10 000 people is shooting on each other in 20m distance and 2 guys die! Than they drop their weapons and start to hit each other. If this were a comedy it would be much better. Who wrote that plot. Can they put at least some suspension or unpredictability in movie? I mean who didn't know Robin will be that policeman? I don't know what is worse in this move. Acting, dialog's or story.
    Other reviewers say it's deep movie? On what drug are they on? They show cat women's character as good like this: She is walking down the street. Some guys are molesting a kid without any reason. She helps the kid, beating the guys. Omg how anyone come to idea to put that scene in move. And scenes like that just pops out everywhere. Batman is fighting on one part of town and in next scene he comes and helps cat women. I thought who cut the part between? What about that scene on wall street? Where those guys who act like janitors hide their motorcycles? Why did police made ramps for them to jump over the blockade? Why did they even attack wall street on that stupid way? It was so funny to see something that unrealistic and stupid in a movie. It's deep politically and social? Yes, if you are retard. It,s so superficial that you have to laugh. Avoid if you don't won to throw 3 hours of your life.
    Only way to enjoy in this movie is to accept it's very expansively produced, good directed brainless action which will unintentionally make you laugh so many times...
  33. Sep 3, 2012
    With Batman Begins, Nolan set the benchmark for the superhero genre by showing us what it
  34. Sep 6, 2012
    Un film lleno de emoción , efectos visuales increíbles, una actuacion muy buena de parte de anne hat thaway.Sin embargo los errores notorios hacen que mi calificacion no sea perfecta. No obstante este film no deja de ser una obra maestra.
  35. Sep 8, 2012
    This was a really good movie. Now before I get ahead of myself I will start by saying that this was definitely not the best of the Nolan batman's but it was a really fun time. Although there were a few flaws near the end of the movie it did not make me look at the film in a different way.
  36. Sep 10, 2012
    At nearly 3 hours, one might be skeptical to find it zooming by. Luckily, it does just that. I don't believe that any part had deserved the right to be cut. It had quite a lot more action than its predecessor, but it was thoroughly enjoyed. I also found myself between the booming speakers, begging me to to stay on the edge of me seat. Tom Hardy had quite the seat to fill after Heath Ledger's Joker. Frankly, it wasn't as great, but his perception of Bane was quite good. The last ten minutes resolved the trilogy with great style. It wasn't THAT surprising, but its resolution was better than I could hoped for a trilogy of this caliber. DO NOT hesitate to watch this film! Expand
  37. Sep 14, 2012
    It concludes this trilogy in such a great way that makes the three movies function as one piece of storytelling. Most importantly, it's an amazingly written and acted story that lives up to the hype generated by the previous ones and faithful and honest towards the comics that originally brought The Dark Knight to a legend status.
  38. Dec 7, 2012
    This film has seemed a lot better than the previous film.
  39. Oct 2, 2012
    This film is great, it doesn't quite live up to the incredible lofty heights of The Dark Knight (2008) but it's still a great watch, the set pieces are fantastic, the scale of the film is ginormous, technical codes are brilliant and to top it all off it's a rollercoaster ride from start to finish.
  40. Jul 11, 2014
    Surprisingly poor follow up to arguably the best comic book movie ever made. Everyone had high expectations on this one. I ve seen twice, once in theatre, once at home. I still have the same feelings about it. It is a pretentious drag and probably Nolan's worst film. Characters bounce in and out it as the plot tries to be complex but its really quiet simple. What surprised me the most I think was how uninspired many of the action sequences. They are just not that good. The movie also relays on cliche plot devices, like a bomb that takes about a day an half to go off?? Then you have Bane who tries to come off as a eloquent bad a, but he just sounds silly most of the time. He has no poison addiction either which was featured in the comics. He is mostly just a psychotic brute in the comics anyway. They also make up an origin story that I believe was not featured in the comics. As you can tell I couldn't stand this movie, That is enough. Expand
  41. Apr 7, 2013
    For me this is really an extremely over-hyped movie. and thanks to the hype it led me to be a bit disappointed. For a movie about Batman, Batman isn't really in it that much. Tom Hardy does a great job of portraying Bane & Anna Hathaway is a fantastic Catwoman. But even with top end effects and great acting, it does not save it from some sloppy writing. So much detail went inot almost everything in this movie, yet there are so many plot holes and "convenient" occurrences to give this film the credibility it desperately wants. On top of that, it has soooo much padding that it feels like it goes on forever. This movie could easily have been cut down to a more reasonable running time. Still, I digress. I still think it is a great movie. Not as good as the previous one but better than all the other batman movies (aside from Tim Burton's Batman.)

Overall: Dark Knight Rises perhaps tries to do too much and in that gets a little lost at times. Still, Nolan did succeed to make an epic ending to his saga and I still thoroughly enjoyed the movie.
  42. Dec 29, 2012
    "The Dark Knight Rises" presents an incomprehensibly muddled story, a swarm of too many new characters, and a tediously spiritual journey of Batman
  43. Dec 29, 2012
    Shockingly inept storytelling, especially given how solid the first two Nolan Batman films were. The cinematography and direction are as gorgeous as they were in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but the story is a complete wreck. A bit of creative license is needed for even the grittiest superhero film, but TDKR treats viewers like their IQs top out at 68. Nothing makes a whit of sense, the pacing is terrible, and the movie wastes Tom Hardy behind and mask and a ridiculous voice. A few energetic action sequences and Anne Hathaway's fun performance (and amazing figure in that suit) keep it from being a complete failure, but it's terribly close. Even Alfred's speeches are tiresome in this one. I just watched it for a second time, and it somehow makes even less sense than the first time around. Nolan tried to dress up an incredibly weak screenplay with lots of bells and whistles, but it's all empty noise. Expand
  44. Jan 11, 2013
    The dark night rises is the worst movie it is so random that lady is bad and bane talks funny avengers is way better and the this Batman was a mistake shame Christopher Nolan.
  45. Jul 5, 2013
    A 2hr 30min movie and one hell of a movie! It's an amazing and epic last in a trilogy. Whilst I don't think it can ever top the The Dark Knight, it offers an epic, darker edge and emotional story. It shows the rise and fall of Bruce Wayne, once has met his match physically. Nolan makes more epic scale action scenes. His characters are useful and aid Gotham in Batman's absence as Bane who has a deadly presence on screen has Gotham rigged with a nuke. The climax isn't exciting though and pretty dull, though the ending is touching and epic. I like how they tried to introduce a Robin character and acknowledged that the batman could be anyone with the right courage. I think for a last in the series, it does what it should do and wrap everything up into a tie, but there still something holding it back from me but I don't know what. Expand
  46. May 4, 2013
    Although The Dark Knight Rises can't top The Dark Knight, it was a great movie that knew what it was; a worthy closing chapter to a trilogy. TDKR sets the trilogy as the best comic-book trilogy of all time for being just an epic conclusion and a great movie. Although I wasn't happy with some of the plot points, they worked for the movie and can be forgiven dune to the epic action sequences.
  47. May 21, 2013
    Great film, second best of the trilogy after The Dark Knight. Really, it's different to the other films in the trilogy but has some interesting themes.
  48. Apr 27, 2014
    This movie was such as disappointment to me. I liked it, but I wanted to love it like I loved the original Dark Knight. Like I loved Batman Begins. But this film had so many issues. There were so many plot holes, Batman just wasn't there, Bane never shut up and I saw the twist coming from a mile away. Also the ending as a slap in the face. But it wasn't all bad. The idea behind the story is great, the acting is awesome (even Tom Hardy did great as Bane, even though he monologued WAY too much), the fight scenes are pretty good and the music was amazing. But overall, I've never been this disappointed in a movie. Expand
  49. Aug 24, 2013
    Really movie. The first movie from Nolan's trilogy was still comparable to brilliant Tim Burton's films. The second one was worse, but it had charismatic Joker in it. The third one has nothing to make it interesting. When i downloaded it, i expected to see a superhero movie, not a boring soap opera about a whiny girl in a cloak. Throughout the whole film Batman sucks. He did nothing useful or superheroic (he even lost the final battle to Bane, lol). Some people say that it's realistic portrait of superhero and it adds drama to a story, BUT WHO THE F*** NEEDS DRAMA IN THE MOVIE ABOUT THE GUY IN A SUIT WITH STICKING BAT EARS WHO IS BEATING A BUNCH OF PSYCHOPATHIC CRIMINALS? Besides, Nolan is bad at making dramatic moments, and they look terrible. Ok, it's fine, you showed me that it's hard to be a superhero and that Bruce is a man too. Can we now proceed to action? No?.. There are only a few fight scenes in the whole movie, and Batman loses most of them? Well, that's just great. Also, I honestly don't understand why someone thought that redesigned Bane would be more interesting than the original one from the comic series. He became just a usual bull with a funny mask. However, he still manages to be smarter than Batman, because in Nolan's interpretation he's just a moron. Like in that scene where he danced with the best pickpocket in Gotham and then was like: "Hey, she stole my Ferrari! Wow, I REALLY DIDN'T EXPECT IT!" (btw, that's why Burton's Batman was awesome: he would just trick Selina). And here comes the plot, which is really strange and stupid. It's not much stranger than the secret order of Shaolin monks from "Batman: Begins", which kinda doesn't suit the pseudo-realistic style of Nolan. However, the order of Shaolin monks was awesome and was way more entertaining and realistic than the underground prison somewhere in Middle East. Also, the plot twist with Wayne's bankruptcy is freaking ridiculous and dumb. A pack of armed criminals attacks bank, hacks it's network and runs away, and the operations made by them can't be denied? Yeah, that's realistic and dramatic. It's also funny how Bruce suddenly looses everything he had, like all of his money were stored in his company and he didn't make any caches. Finally, the film contains strong anti-revolutionary message, which is late for about 30 years, and some weird scenes like "WE FIGHT FOR AMERICA!!!"... Meh, pathetic. Expand
  50. Dec 17, 2013
    The Dark Knight Rises is an immensely satisfying conclusion to The Dark Knight trilogy although it doesn't really match up to the heights of its predecessor.
  51. Mar 26, 2014
    The Dark Knight is one of the best movies I've seen, and I saw 3 TIMES The Dark Knight Rises one the movie theater, but I have to say, now that is on HBO, I can tolarate even 3 minutes watching it, it is the most stupid super hero movie I ever seen... It sucks, but don't get me wrong, I would see it again on the theater even If I don't know why...
  52. May 11, 2014
    The Dark Knight Rises had a lot to live up to considering the success of Batman Begins and particularly The Dark Knight. Sadly it does't quite do so. Nolan's 3rd installment in The Dark Knight Trilogy is very VERY poorly written. There are a lot of unaddressed issues, Plot contrivances and Plot holes. A lot of stuff just doesn't add up and doesn't make much sense. It's not well paced. All 3 acts suffer from severe problems. But there are some positives. The performances were decent and the cinematography was good but overall it doesn't really qualify as a good film. The Dark Knight Rises let down what could've been one of the greatest movie trilogies of all time. Expand
  53. Oct 13, 2012
    I know all \'Superhero\' movies are far-fetched, but come on, how could anyone believe the escaped convict from The Shawshank Redemption could become a high profile tech-wizard within just a few years.
    He couldn\'t even fix that little wooden boat in Mexico, what? Now he\'s building Bat Mobiles?
  54. Nov 11, 2012
    I found this a very enjoyable movie and fitting ending to the trilogy. Despite the slow start it soon starts picking up pace and keeps your attention til the very end.
  55. Lyn
    Jan 6, 2013
    Joseph Gordon-Leavitt really "rises" here : You wonder what the heck HE is doing in a Batman movie, but he wins you over. Overall, a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy, with lots of dark-and-doomy action, though they could have cut 30 mins. from the rather blah backstories. Also would have liked more of the always solid Christian Bale, but Anne Hathaway lit up every scene she was in. Must say "Bane" was a dull villain ... but having raised two sons, I'm sure he and his weird mask will make for a swell 8" action figure. Expand
  56. Oct 17, 2012
    Sorry Avengers. But you just didn't have 70 minutes of IMAX-filmed fight scenes or set pieces, or an extremely intense script and epic story that made The Dark Knight Rises the equal best movie of 2012 so far, as well as Looper.

P.S. Bane is a badass bad guy.
  57. Apr 28, 2013
    I seem to have trouble placing this flick into a proper genre. Surely, it can't be called a superhero movie since (costumed) Batman appears for only 20 or so minutes of the total 165 of running time (I'm afraid that more adequate title would be 'Bruce Wayne Rises'). That's just one of the many flaws of this pompous project, but let's start from the beginning...
    First and most important:
    the film is BORING! Yes, that's right. It's not about how long it is, but about the dull plot infested with holes and unconvincing performances... which brings us to second...
    The entire cast is ill chosen! Tom Hardy as Bane?! Bane is supposed to be a massive powerhouse, not a bloated dwarf! Although Hardy is a great actor, this role does not suit him. Even with all cinematic tricks used to make him look bigger it's painfully obvious that he's average size at best. Furthermore, in order to make Bane look more intimidating, Bale was forced to lose a significant weight thus making Batman appear as if he would have a hard time taking out a strung-out junkie. In fact, with Gordon insufficiently developed (which was the case in all the previous installments as well) and Alfred reduced to a mere crybaby, most memorable performances are those of Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
    Three: Fights are very, VERY poorly choreographed! Each punch that Batman throws is telegraphed and looks like it's thrown by a person who never hit anything in his life. Bale could have really taken some fighting lessons prior to the filming, because this is so unconvincing that I can't even begin to describe it.
    Four: Plot itself makes little to no sense. Subplots are actually far more intriguing (if anything about this film can be called intriguing, that is). Ending is both disappointing and ridiculous making you wonder why you wasted almost three hours of your life on this apparently rushed out and clunky flick.
    Oh yeah... I still can't get over Batman's idiotic throat talk. The one who came up with that idea should be killed on spot!
  58. Aug 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. Everything felt rushed, miscued & unexplained in the last 90 minutes. The last 30 minutes made generally no sense. After Batman 2 which was brilliant, this movie had me consistently asking why were most of the characters so idiotic in their thinking. A few bad actors in place as well; and the ending? Really? How could Batman survive that? Maybe if his batwing morphed int an amphibious craft. Just a LOT of unexplained holes that had you asking, how'd he get there?, why don't they just...? I really hate it when movie that supposed to be great, leaves you analyzing the direction job. The voice of Bane to me just didn't fit either, it sounded like a 70 year old college professor. Collapse
  59. Jul 12, 2013
    There is no lack of ambition or big ideas nor can someone blame Nolan for not trying to go a step further. However, the result of this grandiose attempt seems muddled and it falls below the standards of a great storyteller, not just for this trilogy, but for his whole filmography.
  60. Aug 26, 2012
    First and foremost, the sound quality in this film is one of the worse I have heard for a major motion picture, and I saw it in IMAX which has the best sound available. Overall, I would say I understood about 2/3 of the dialogue, and only about 1/3 of Bane's dialogue. Bane wears a mask and when he speaks, for no apparent reason, there is an amplified distorted voice. On top of that he has an accent making it even worse. When he spoke into a microphone on the football field you may as well forget trying to understand him. The rest of the movie had a VERY annoying loud cello playing in the background when people were speaking. There were no silent spots that I remember. There was even dialogue being spoken during the action scenes. My friend and I were constantly leaning over and saying "what did he say?". There is also absolutely NO humor in this film whatsoever, and in fact every person on the screen had the same angry, angst, cynical personality. As always, the special effects were superb which I would expect for a budget the size they had. There are numerous plot holes and ludicrous moments throughout. Michael Caine weeps in almost every scene. I'm a big fan of Anne Hathaway but she is a waste here. She is yet another angry kick-ass person on screen, when they could have used her for some MUCH needed humor in the film. Lastly, the movie was WAY too long. I was so relieved when it finally ended after the cacophony of noise I had to endure for 2 hours and 40 minutes. Expand
  61. Dec 9, 2012
    Very dark as always, with a foreboding, apocalyptic feel about it. These Nolan films are intense. Good amounts of character development as always but at the expense of more action. For me Batman Begins was the only Nolan film that struck the right balance, especially with that truly epic ending on the train. This film just didn't climax for me. And Bale's Batman voice still bothers me. Give me Batman Returns any day. There I said it. Expand
  62. Jul 20, 2012
    First, for the full review, including *hidden spoilers* go to this website- http://www.ign.com/blogs/bulltoad/?p=1454

THIS REVIEW IS FREE OF SPOILERS, BUT DOES REFERENCE THE LATTER PART OF THE BLOG IN WHICH PLOT IS DISCUSSED.

Let
  63. Jul 20, 2012
    It's a decent movie, but The Dark Knight surpasses it in every single way. It's arguable that Batman Begins is better also. A good end to the Nolan series, but not it's most glorious moment.
  64. Aug 12, 2013
    Christopher Nolan platformed his Batman story in a realistic universe with Batman Begins, continued it with a masterful hit in The Dark Knight, & couldn’t bare but finish his story with a third movie where he is inspired to raise the bar and the stakes in The Dark Knight Rises. This time, he and his brother construct one nerve shaking visual of raw intensity. Every theme and idea Nolan loves to experiment with, he fuses into this piece. Bale, Caine, Oldman, and Freeman all return for the ride. Including newcomers Gordon-Levitt, Cottilard, and of course Hardy. It’s a phenomenal story and it epitomizes what an ending to a trilogy or movie franchise should be. I’m not going to expose his formula, but it’s undeniably breathtaking and so impacting on every level...

With genuine archetypes, engaging story arks, sensibly distinguished and monumental characters, majestically inspiring elements, richly sobering themes, and heavily powerful climaxes. This has all the ingredients. Including a realistic vision that forces the direction of the story to naturally go in a dark place. Because what happens in movies seem like nothing at all, when in fact it’s quite more horrifying then we believe. And Nolan proves that by fashionably executing classic-inspired filmmaking and ingeniously capturing realistic intensities of situations through organically put-together set pieces, utilized for the screen. Ultimately delivering a true visually real, orgasmic movie with breathtaking moments of cinema that’ll have you shaken by a whirlwind of emotions. Defying the idea that movies are fake and not real. Therefore, making the screen come to life, hitting the audience an extraordinary tone. Making audiences feel the reality of the true conflicts that happen on screen, and the conflicts Nolan materializes for the screen in the story of The Dark Knight Rises is heavily captivating, spectacularly dynamizing, and more ambitious than ever. All of that in IMAX scale is a crazy roller coaster ride. Butterflies galore.

Bane as the villain in this is the ultimate villain. He imposes the most paramount threat. Watching him was spine-tingling and the portrayal was initially terrifying. He's not as memorable as can be, but he's still a badass villain of and for cinema. His dubbing did lose some realness in his character making him appear more video-gameish than a real afflicted & constrained villain. Every appearance, although, has you shaking & gulping with fear and intimidation. However, his fear isn’t nearly as sustaining as the Joker’s was in The Dark Knight.

I know Nolan wants to make the movie to look and feel real. But the movie’s visual is already so heavy, the anxious cropping and trimming of scenes, and the addition of speaker-imploding sounds just adds so much weight to the experience, it’s almost too much to handle. Rises believes it’s achieving wonders and it is, but to some the rhythm and flow may be uneasy. Just because that's way it should be doesn't mean it becomes the masterpiece it intends to be. Also, the movie felt too short and needed an extra 30 or 40 to help the audience a little because a lot happens in the story and for some viewers they may find their emotions left behind, not able to reconnect as they lose themselves from the pace. I did want more from some things, but I think that’s what makes Rises so good. That it allows the audience to enagage their own imaginations into the world as you feel shortchanged by some things not shown. Personally, I love ambition and whenever I see it, myself and my emotions are right their for the ride. In the end, the film took me so far (feeling nearly a 4-5 hour experience) I’ll never forget it. The best theatre movie I’ve ever seen. Half of the movie was filmed in IMAX. I mean it’s made for that big screen. However the heaviness can rumble some out of the experience and may confuse and befuddle some with the manner in which it tells the story.

Needless to say, this stands as a towering powerhouse in the motion picture universe. A picture that offers non-stop waves of sensation leaving you speechless, scene after scene, with so many magnificent moments and adding that with a raw visual for entertainment including overpowering ideas for heart-stopping spectacle Yeah, it’ll leave most with huge smiles. It certainly did me. I won’t give away any of the story, but prepare to go through a whirlwind of emotions as a viewer. The Dark Knight Rises will toss you around, shock you, and leave you with Nolan’s best minutes of delivered moviemaking, with an ultimate enticing signature of satisfaction. It’s visual and story is ever-enduring, and the mark it's made on cinema is obvious and massive. The level of craftmanship is beyond words. Sadly, the Academy is more on the degree than the level. Even if there’s small things that do take away the full thrust of the movie’s visual through emphasis and emotion, Rises truly formulates the most complete conclusion to the most impacting trilogy.
  65. cfh
    Oct 16, 2012
    I think it was a superb movie. I was at the edge of my seat while watching it. So much action. It was a little slow at the beginning but at the end it was excellant. I would deffinately buy this movie.
  66. Jan 11, 2013
    I'm a huge Batman fan, I've watched every movie so far and I have to admit this is not only one of the best Batman movies (I say one of the best because Batman Forever is my favorite, agree or disagree I don't care it's my favorite) but it's also one of the best superhero movies of all time. It's action packed, has a great story, outstanding acting, and some awesome comic tie-ins. An outstanding movie that I highly recommend watching. Expand
  67. Jul 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the smartest Directors of our generation is about to conclude his famous saga. Oh yes, you should anticipate what is he going to do next. Christopher Nolan has built a superb franchise through two successful prequels BATMAN BEGINS (2005) and THE DARK KNIGHT (2008). No wonder everyone is hyped about it and the excitement is rising high. The Batman character has changed a lot over the years. The two most important influences are Frank Miller graphic novel BATMAN: YEAR ONE (1987) and Tim Burton movie BATMAN (1989), not just changing the image entirely but also affecting today superhero movies. What I am trying to say is you will soon witness a historic event as well. We are going to see the next phase of Batman transition. In thiz grand finale to an epic trilogy, Christopher Nolan definitely takes Batman to the whole new level. Christian Bale also deserves a credit for making Bruce Wayne character even more dynamic and attractive. Bale is certainly not just an ordinary Actor, he can play any character he wants, not just good, but great. I do not know why Nolan takes so many risks by changing the winning formula. Spoiler Alert! There are more day scenes than night scenes, Bruce Wayne becomes poor, firing Alfred and other radical changes. As a matter of fact, it was not Bat at all! I do not feel like I have been watching Batman movie, it was more like a typical Nolan movie that happens to be Batman in it. There is no doubt that the Joker was potrayed amazingly by the late Heath Ledger in THE DARK KNIGHT (2008). Christopher Nolan himself knows very well that he should find something new, something phenomenal enough to replace it. Well, at least he has done half of his homework. Although the merciless masked villain Bane (Tom Hardy) is very terrifying, especially through his monstrous voice and intimidating appearance, but it is lack of character. Catwoman does not leave any impression. Yes, she is still sexy but only physically. I can hardly remember anything besides Catwoman becomes Anne Hathaway, instead of the other way around. Better performances come from two Cast members of INCEPTION (2010), Marion Cotillard and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It makes five of them, the others are Tom Hardy, Michael Caine and Cillian Murphy. The other regular Cast members are Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon and Morgan Freeman as Lucious Fox. In fact, in the middle of the story, the movie loses its track, too many unnecessary scenes, sometimes too wordy and almost flat out boring. Even worse, it is compounded by one-dimensional fight choreography. Everytime Batman and Bane fight, it looks like B-Class movie. But I still think The Bike Chase Scene is spectacular. In the end, hey it is Christopher Nolan! Of course, he saves something for the ending. Finally, I can say the epic concludes with a very classy way, typical Nolan twists and turns. It is another ambiguous ending from him. Dont you ever discuss it or you will find yourself in the middle of never-ending debate about what really happened at the end of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES. No more spoilers, find your own hints. Have a nice Bat!

Visit My Blog on JONNY
  68. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is a satisfying conclusion in Nolan's trilogy, but individually falls short of meeting the lofty expectations set by 2008's The Dark Knight. The musical score, acting (particularly by Bale, Hathaway, and Caine) and set design are top-notch. Bane is a terrifying villain of physical proportions, which really helps carry the pain theme of this third and final act. There are many individual scenes, particularly the opening airplane heist, that is breathtaking. There are many references to the first film, Batman Begins, that helps give closure to key characters - it is helpful to re-watch this first film prior to watching DKR.

This film, TDKR, is not without flaws. There is an unsatisfying, anti-climactic conclusion to a major character. The second half of this film, particularly the final 45 minutes, that feels rushed from an execution standpoint. There are various side characters and extras where you can't help wonder if the film would have been sharper and not sacrificed on plot development had they just cut out these scenes entirely.

Is this film worth the price of admission? Absolutely. Yet when the credits rolled, I couldn't help but feel that this film didn't give me that overwhelming awe that I felt from its predecessor.
  69. Jul 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Even though I like this movie, I don't think it was as good as the first Batman in this particular trilogy. For one thing he kept getting his ass whooped. I mean for Pete's sake He's a superhero. I kept saying as much as was going on that this is a job for Superman! The music was waaay too loud and sometimes it was hard to hear what they were saying. You could tell that Tom Hardy's was dubbed and was louder than everyone else. I like the Avengers better. Sometimes I think that people just jump on a bandwagon and just go along with the critics. Catwoman is a blonde with green eyes and looks nothing like Anne Hathaway, although she looked really hot and sexy. Talia has sandy blonde hair and in this movie she was a brunette and not as hot as the comic book Talia. What was up with the ending? Is it setting up for a Robin sequel? Expand
  70. Jul 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Admittedly this film had a lot to live up to, given the phenomenon that was The Dark Knight, as well as what Nolan achieved with Inception and what Joss Whedon was able to bring to The Avengers a few months earlier. But what surprised me was that apart from that, The Dark Knight Rises is simply not a very good film. It shocked me, how pedestrian it ends up being. The performances are excellent, Anne Hathaway rivals Michelle Pfieffer's Catwoman; livening things up whenever she's onscreen. And there's it was nice to see the excellent Ben Mendelsohn and Juno Temple pop up in colourful supporting roles, plus reappearances of Nestor Carbonell and Cillian Murphy (whose presence is welcome but never logically explained). Tom Hardy's Bane in the end pales in comparison to Heath Ledger's Joker, not his fault really, Ledger was a hard act to follow. The biggest problem is the script. While there is a nice through-line with elements of the previous films, some story decisions left me scratching my head. A neutron time-bomb? Really Nolan, that's the best you could come up with? Catwoman's storyline initially plays but ends up dissolving into nothing. The sub-plot with Joseph Gordon Levitt and the boy's home, while quite affecting, didn't really fit in comfortably (and the reveal as 'Robin' at the end of the film brought a wave of snickers and groans in the cinema) The 11th hour villain twist feels cheap; I was wondering why Cotillard had been so under-utilised for most of the film, but she deserved more than to become a B-movie-baddie. And given Nolan's opportunity to close out the trilogy, the film wimps out on a truly moving conclusion. However there are some story elements that do work: the plot twists quite effectively in places, the chemistry is there between Bale and Hathaway and Bruce and Alfred share some poignant moments. I desperately wanted to like this film but, in the end, found it very hard to Expand
  71. Jul 2, 2013
    As one of the most eagerly anticipated movies of recent times The Dark Knight Rises arrived carrying huge expectations following the hugely successful and a genuine modern great, The Dark Knight. So, the big question.. Does it deliver and live up to the hype? Absolutely! The Dark Knight Rises is quite simply sensational. There will be many debating whether it's better than The Dark Knight, personally i'd say it's on par perhaps slightly edging ahead but nonetheless it's no crime as The Dark Knight was a classic. The film itself picks up 8 years on, where Batman has gone into exile and Gotham is prospering under the newly found peace. However, the emergence of a thief, Selina Kyle (Anne Hathaway) catches Bruce Wayne's attention but it's only with the arrival of the terrorist, a mercenary Bane (Tom Hardy) that Bruce's alter ego is forced back into action. The opening sequence to this movie is magnificent!! It introduces the villain, Bane, in fantastic fashion. The scene is superb and immediately establishes the character. Tom Hardy faced an almost impossible taking on the villainous Bane after Heath Ledger's inconic performance as The Joker but he delivers an absolutely amazing performance! He's genuinely outstanding. Bane is big, bold and brutal but clearly a mastermind and given the fact he wears the 'mask' Hardy is truly tremendous. The performance is sold through his eyes, he makes Bane such an intriguing mesmerising antagonist. His voice caused controversy but he makes it such a pivotal part of the character. It's genius in all honesty! I never thought it would be possible to surpass The Joker but Bane is easily my favourite film of the trilogy. Anne Hathaway also excels as Catwoman. She encapsulates the character of Selina Kyle perfectly whether it's the fake fragile and innocent side or the sexy bad ass, Hathaway oozes class. Tops the original Catwoman for me. She is superb! Jospeh Gordon-Levitt also comes on board and rookie cop John Blake but ends up playing a massive part of the film. Marion Cotillard also has a small but vital role is environmentalist Miranda Tate. And last but not least, Christian Bale. The best Batman ever no doubt and cements his legacy as the Caped Crusader with his best outing yet. TDKR is by far the most emotional of all 3 of Nolan's films. In many ways it's inspiring just like Batman intended to be and there's one iconic and legendary scene in the film that all true Batman fans will appreciate. The breaking of the Bat! It actually left the cinema in silence and many mouths a gasp. It was expertly delivered. The action however is where this film is an unbelievable triumph. It's a blockbuster in every sense of the word. The scale and set-pieces are taken to new heights. It's glorious and leads to a stunning and spectacular finish with all out war in Gotham! Nolan has always been a master at storytelling and he truly cements this in the closing chapter, it's full of suspense and anxiety and that's where this movie thrives! He is a genius at work, when was the last time you actually believed a superhero could die? In it's own right it's an absolute colossal movie. Absolutely awesome throughout even with the 2hr 45mins running time, time never stops it's an entrhalling, exhilariting, emotionally driven action blockbuster that's utterly unmissable. EPIC! Serving as a conclusion to Nolan's trilogy this is film making of the highest calibre. He succeeds in every depertment and brings The Dark Knight full circle. It touches on everything that's gone before all the way back to Batman Begins and leaves you in awe of what he has managed to achieve and accomplish with these 3 films. He has turned Batman into a household franchise once again. Christopher Nolan has taken the Dark Knight to exceptional new heights! He has given us the greatest superhero trilogy ever to be assembled. Whoever assumes the reigns will have a monumental task! Expand
  72. Dec 17, 2012
    Not so impressive like its predecessor, but this one is worth to buy: Every stage of the film is good, a good, tragic ending for batman and the rise of the Robin, and the hero is not only batman, but the hero will rise when it comes to its age. That's what the dark knight wants, what our hero will continue ...
  73. Oct 20, 2012
    The filmmaking powerhouse that is Christopher Nolan has delivered a pretty satisfying final chapter of his Dark Knight trilogy. The plot of The Dark Knight Rises is a slow-burner, but the stockpiled tension you accumulate over the film well and truly explodes in an epic finale. This Batman series also, gratifyingly, feels like a complete story that brings you full circle rather than a succession of tacked-on sequels thanks to an extraordinary joint writing effort by the Nolan brothers and David S. Goyer. This is one of the most enjoyable of the Caped Crusader's screen outings, being dark, provocative and relevant to the modern world (perhaps slightly heavy-handedly) but also never forgets to be fun, and to be a genuine superhero film. Is Tom Hardy's Bane a more memorable villain than Heath Ledger's Joker? No, but he's an entertaining, distinctive antagonist with a wonderfully odd voice and some of the best eye-acting ever committed to screen from Hardy. Bane's introduction scene is arguably on par with the Joker's from the previous film - both are creative, thrilling heist scenes that are served beautifully by Nolan's love of IMAX. The old faithfuls of the franchise - Michael Caine, Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman are good as ever, and Christian Bale impresses as an older, creakier Batman. Series newcomer Anne Hathaway is mesmerising playing the manipulative and morally ambiguous Selina Kyle AKA Catwoman, who proves herself to be at least as formidable as her pointy-eared associate, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt manages to hold his own in a cast of big-hitters. The main crime The Dark Knight Rises commits is attempting to tackle too much. The plotting is a lot looser this time round, conveniently glossing over such narrative inconveniences as the passage of time and geography, and there are frequent references to things that supposedly happened between the last film and this one, often resulting in an information overload. A lot of narrative fat could have been cut at the beginning of the film, and a tweak in plotting in the first act would have certainly helped with the flow of the story. The Dark Knight Rises is still a hugely entertaining and handsome-looking film, but if the story had been stripped back a little, and been more focussed, then perhaps a more consistently enjoyable final product might have emerged. Expand
  74. Oct 8, 2012
    The acting, writing, drama, and action are of a caliber with Nolan's other great works (The Dark Knight notwithstanding). The only genuine problem with this film is that it had to succeed a true masterpiece in The Dark Knight. Hardy is excellent as a villain (though not quite as chilling and nihilistic as Ledger's Joker) and Hathaway and Gordon-Levitt are both strong additions. Perhaps the weight of expectation led to some shortcomings but the final 30-40 minutes of the film are edge-of-your-seat compelling. The conclusion is so startlingly appropriate (read: vintage Nolan) fans should wonder why they thought the trilogy would end any other way. This film, and indeed the two which preceded it, is an absolute must-see. If not for the sake of great cinema, at least for the benefit of knowing how it all ends. Expand
  75. Nov 30, 2012
    Boo Ya what an epic movie and what phenomenal way to end the dark knight trilogy.The story kept me on the edge of my seat for the whole 164 minutes.The action sequences was done perfectly.The story line was epic,the acting for every actor and actresses was done extremely well.Christopher Nolan does a phenomenel job directing this film. Every Batman movie directed was phenomenal and no wonder the films was a worldwide phenomenel.Unlike other films which had trilogy's and failed for example spider man 1,2 and 3 which truly sucked.But the dark knight trilogy's was the best epic and awesome.This time I did not read the other reviews posted by other users.Until I finished watching the film.And I'm glad to say I truly enjoyed this film.The dark knight rises is one of the best films I have ever seen. Expand
  76. Jul 31, 2012
    How can you top the Dark Knight? You can't. The Nolans' wobbly script - although over-powering and wildly entertaining at times - suffers from plot holes, unnecessary dialogue, too many characters and an over-bearing sense of political morality that is channeled through by a ridiculous and incomprehensible villain. The inconsistencies are only shadowed by the film's action and editing. Nolan does a good job at directing but he suffers from a "forest-for-the-trees" mentality as the script doesn't hold up to all that Wayne/Batman has endured in his previous adventures because it throws away a great deal of Wayne's character for mere retribution. The performances are great, particularly Cain in the few key scenes he has. The third act is the most entertaining but the end sequence is unnecessary and patronizing removing all gravitas from the story it preceded. There are several elements that bugged me as a fan of the comics and animated show that make no sense in this incarnation of Batman but I guess that's just a personal bias. All selfish reasoning aside, it's a fun and visually brilliant ride as long as you don't bother trying to unravel the inconsistencies. Expand
  77. Jan 5, 2013
    A bloated, contrived and self-indulgent barrage of flat dialogue, juvenile characterisation and cliché action sequences. Nolan's post-modernist take on Batman is little more than a static metaphor that takes itself far too seriously and is totally devoid of levity and brevity.
  78. Jan 3, 2013
    I really enjoyed this movie; it's one of the best in the Batman franchise. The movie is long, but you won't notice the time passing. Anne Hathaway was excellent as Catwoman and Joseph Gordon-Levitt was a great addition to the plot. Sometimes the dialogue was a bit cheesy, and although I really liked Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne, I found his Batman voice very distracting. Nevertheless, the movie is definitely a "must see" and I'm looking forward to another sequel. Expand
  79. dz9
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan has risen to the challenge to try to top his own success from Dark Knight, he may not get close to tying it but he gets close enough. Let's start with the bad.. In The Dark Knight Rises, Christopher Nolan has seemed so focused on creating such a in-reality gritty film that he forgot that he was making a Batman movie. The gritty real feeling of the movie was great in all, but at the end of the day, people want to see Batman's plethora of gadgets and stealth... none of which was fulfilled. This really makes you realize what Heath Ledger's Joker brought to the movie, his fun randomness and comedy left a huge hole in the movie and in it's place was another gritty straight forward villain that doesn't feel anywhere close to being fleshed out as the Joker. In this film, you only see about 30 minutes of Batman and only his first few scenes feel like Batman... the rest felt like a generic hero that dresses like Batman. Another fault of the movie is the fact that it spends way to much time developing its own plot. We're already in the finale of the trilogy, we didn't need 2/3 of the movie used for developing. You'll never truly feel bored watching it, but you'll definitely notice it dragging on and you'll just wish you could see more Batman and less of the drama. The last major fault is the fact that Bruce Wayne's new love interest felt extremely forced, before you even know who she is Bruce Wayne has already fell in love with her beyond a reasonable doubt and your expected to just accept it. Of course they're is some plot holes that will leave you scratching your head but they're never serious enough to break the movie. However, this movie also has a lot going for it. The art direction Nolan takes is breath taking, and the plot twists will make your jaw drop. They're are definitely a few slow parts that will make you check your watch here and there but this movie always keeps you interested in its plot. And although not as on par as the Joker, Tom Hardy's Bane is a great menacing villain who may seem ridiculous at first but will grow on you as the movie goes along. Another strength to the movie is the chemistry between the actors. Despite the movie's plot, the actors' definitely knew this was the finale and they all brought their A game. The interactions between the actors, particularly between Ann Hathaway and Christian Bale, were fantastic. And yes... Nolan does put a magnificent ending to such an overall amazing series. In The End: This is an amazing film, but its just not quite a great Batman adaptation. It worries so much about developing this gritty realistic tone that it forgets that its about a man dressed like a bat wearing a cape. You wish you would've seen more Batman action than this 3 hour long drama fest. 7.7/10 Expand
  80. Jan 20, 2013
    What a great movie. I loved it so much. Brilliant performances from every member of the cast and a fantastic storyline. It always helps a movie when the bad guy is good and Tom Hardy's Dane was fantastic. Anne Hathaway, Gary Oldman and Joseph Gordon-Levitt were all excellent in th film. One of my favourite films of all time.
  81. Nov 1, 2013
    There's just something special about the Batman games and films. They just feel epic and triple A... probably because they ARE. As cliché as the plot might be, it's done in such an epic, high quality manner that makes this one of the best films. Perhaps it's a lot less characterful and more predictable than the 2007 film, but everything about it is blockbuster action. OK so the storyline wasn't perfect and there were some gaps but if you try to follow just the main events, it's actually an amazing film even if you know nothing about the batman universe. It manages to be very mainstream without losing its core identity. For hardcore fans of Batman it's probably not the greatest but I'd still say it's worth watching even for its most ardent sceptics. Expand
  82. May 6, 2014
    Y'know that joke that became popular on the internet that involved Batman performing the impossible or doing something nonsensical and explaining it with "'Cause I'm Batman!"? I think Chris Nolan was actually taking that really seriously. This film is entertaining the first time you watch it but the more time passes and the more you think about it the more it will get under your skin with a senseless plot riddled with holes. Getting the good out of the way early: the acting is brilliant. There isn't a bad performance in this film. Now that we're done with the good let's get onto all the unanswered questions in The Dark Knight Rises.
    How does Batman abseil down the side of a building after being told he has no cartilage in his knee?
    How did it take him 8 years to find out about this lack of cartilage?
    How come it hinders his ability to walk but abseiling is fine?
    What the hell is the magic robo knee brace?
    If it allows him to kick through solid brick then why does he never kick Bane when he's fighting him and break his freaking ribs?
    When Bane takes away his Batsuit then why doesn't he take the magic robo knee brace too when he throws him into the big hole prison?
    Where the hell is the big hole prison supposed to be?
    Why was Bane in there?
    Why was he so protective of Talia?
    Why did everyone else attack him?
    What happened to his face?
    Why does he need the mask?
    Where did he get it?
    Why does it hurt when it's broken?
    How does being punched in the spine completely heal a broken back in less than 3 months?
    How does falling from a great height and being caught by a rope tightly wrapped around his waist not break Batmans back all over again? Or just kill him?
    How did Bane and his goons sneak motorcycles into the stock exchange?
    How does nobody find the flying batmobile when it's left unattended in Gotham for months?
    Why does Gordon send every cop in the city underground at the same time?
    Why does Bane keep those cops alive instead of just killing them? He's literally sending them care packages, why does he need them alive?
    How does Batman get from the big hole prison into the heavily guarded Gotham city with no idea where he is, no money, no transport, no method of contact to anybody and nobody knowing where he is?
    Where and when did he get that clean slate thing for Catwoman?
    When the unarmed cops charge the heavily armed army of Bane goons how do they not all get massacred by the guns and freaking tanks firing at them?
    If Talia was really the bad guy then why did she help the good guys several times before the big reveal?
    For that matter why didn't she just kill Batman when she was in his house and had the element of surprise? Or just kill when she stabbed him? If her plan was to blow up Gotham either way then why did she drag it out for 3 months?
    How does Batman get from the flying Batmobile to some other unspecified location in less than 3 seconds before the nuke explodes?
    Even in the highly unlikely scenario that he flew the nuke far enough away to have Gotham out of the blast radius wouldn't the radiation still kill everyone?
    How does nobody notice the incredibly famous recently dead guy sitting out in the open in a cafe in Florence?
    How did none of these questions occur to Chris Nolan before this film was finished production?
  83. Dec 22, 2012
    The comic-book nature of this film is inevitable, and there is an instinct not to take it too seriously as a grown-up movie. If it weren't for the constant flow of violence (bystanders get shot like cardboard ducks at a booth where you win stuffed animals), this film is perfect for ages 13-17. After 17, most high-schoolers will be too mature. Christian Bale is a serious Batman and a seriously handsome one, but his character is superficial. He's committed to justice, he's awfully rich, and he avoids romantic entanglements. He prizes the paternal loyalty of his butler, Alfred, played by Michael Caine. Caine reprises his role for the first act of the film, gets written out of the script for reasons that are too mundane to remember, and shows up at the very end to reassure viewers that he is still looking after his boy. Batman's nemesis is Catwoman, a thief played by Anne Hathaway, a sort of female Robin Hood, who steals from the rich to give to the only poor person she cares about, which is herself. Not quite as altruistic as one would hope for, but Hathaway does give Catwoman a new dimension heretofore unseen in comic books and previous feline versions of the character. She's a professional thief, desperate to support herself with her thieving skills, but also desperate to find a new identity so that she can start over without a criminal record and have a normal life. It's her fatal flaw; she'll agree to almost anything if someone can promise her a clean slate. Hathaway apparently did martial arts, yoga, and a lot of dieting and working out to prepare for this role and it shows--she's in good enough shape to be a kickboxing champion. She starts out as a bad guy, or girl, but mellows later in the film, mostly because she falls in love with Bruce Wayne. (Batman is a bit more vulnerable in this version because of his love for Catwoman, which is a softening touch in a film that badly needs one.) Batman has an unofficial partner, a rookie cop named John Blake played aptly by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who is clever and inventive and often saves the day. In the end, we find out Blake doesn't like to use his real name, which is "Robin." (This is not a spoiler.) The real bad guy is a Darth Vader type named Bane. He is deadly, criminally insane, and beyond hope, but he does have a weak spot that shows he has a heart. The spot is so weak that it's not very believable, and his version of heart is a case of too little, too late. Bane is too evil and too predictable; his violent behavior is pure insanity, and he's in danger of being monotonous. Marion Cotillard as Miranda, who knows Wayne through high society and high funding circles, has to make an about-face at one point that, again, comes late in the film and without warning so that it looks like a plot twist written in at the last minute. The prison of the film is a Dantean hell with hope for redemption being only a hole in the ceiling that gives the prisoners a circular view of heaven--a visual symbolism that is almost brilliant but does not quite redeem the rest of the film. A surrealistic sham courtroom where everyone is sentenced to death or exile is right out of Kafka's The Trial. Despite these literary touches, the movie is too grim, violent and predictable, although Batman fans seem to love it anyway. Too many people seem to know that Wayne is Batman in this sequel, and you would think that it would be all over the Internet. The film is still visually entertaining with excellent actors and manages to hold your interest, although admittedly the next morning you won't remember what happened or why. Expand
  84. Jul 20, 2012
    This film is extraordinary, if flawed. Much, much, much better than Dark Knight. The casting, story, direction, pacing and effects are the best of the trilogy. As someone who thought Batman Begins was the best superhero film yet made at the time of its release, but found The Dark Knight to be strangely boring and clunky, The Dark Knight Rises really surprised me with its energy and power. Christian Bale's performance in particular was masterful. I love Christopher Nolan's work but he makes frustrating choices, mostly having to do with dialogue being understandable. He blankets his films with wall-to-wall score that is mixed so prominently it often drowns out whole lines of dialogue. He also hires foreign actors with very thick accents, which can also occasionally come across exactly like what it is: an actor reciting words beyond their own English ability. In The Dark Knight Rises we almost escaped this factor because Marion Cotillard has the rare ability to speak with a thick accent and yet sound completely intelligible. But the fact is you simply can't hear or understand at least a third of Bane's lines. And since he's the antagonist, this is a maddening problem. And even when you can hear it, it's still distracting because it sounds overdubbed on top of the movie in post. Kind of like Optimus Prime in Transformers. If they mixed the score lower and found a way to make Bane's lines both intelligible and realistic in an acoustic sense this would be an untouchable masterpiece. Expand
  85. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises was truly an amazing film, the acting was top-notch and the climax was pretty amazing. Christopher Nolan managed to grasp desperation very well and the conclusion to the Dark Knight is just jaw-dropping and a good send-off to Batman. While TDKR is a great movie it is not as good as the predessor, the Dark Knight. TDKR's story is not as much in depth and morally challenging as TDK and TDKR's Bane, while indeed a good villain, is not as fun or gripping like TDK's Joker and the plot does does seem a little out of focus at times, especially in the beginning. Nonetheless, TDKR is still an Epic Conclusion that is well made and definately worth watching, Christopher Nolan has given Batman a epic sendoff, Batman goes out with a bang. Verdict: 79 out of 100 Expand
  86. Aug 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie doesn't quite have the vigor of The Dark Night, but the action is unprecedented, as expected from the previous installments. The characters are mostly rounded, with the exception of Bane, who seemed relevant until it was revealed that he was just a lowly prisoner that helped the real escapee out. But man! That movie was so fun to watch! Expand
  87. Jul 20, 2012
    The film is made on epic scale. No doubt about it but it has been letdown by am amateurish editing and pacing. The plot is conjugated and I guess it was supposed to be a superrhero movie. It is definitely the weakest movie of Nolans career along with Prestige. Having said that, its not a bad movie. Its a good movie but Nolan had set up high level expectations afterr giving us movies like Insomnia. Memento, Innception and Dark knight. The length was also the culprit and what the hell Bane was trying to say?????? Expand
  88. Jan 16, 2013
    Was it writing on the wall? Was it karma being a **** I mean i suppose we were never going to have two epic superhero films (the other being The Avengers) in the same year...but damn I wanted this movie to succeed in every way, shape and form that would throw at us...but it just didn't.
    Trust me, this movie is fantastic, but its not a masterpiece, by no means flawless and certainly not
    the best entry into the series.
    Set 8 years after the events of the Joker and Harvey Dent fiasco, we see Bruce Wayne/Batman (Christian Bale) is a social recluse, shutting himself out to the rest of the world, until of course duty calls to get him back into the swing of the things.
    We then see the appearance of Selina Kyle, dressed in a leather suit (lets not say Catwoman) who is arguably one of the standout performances of the film, Anne Hathaway's performance needs to be lauded for her dangerously enjoyable take on the cat burglar, sharp dialogue and not a dull moment with this one.
    Tom hardy, as usual, throws himself into the character of Bane, a terrorist here to right the wrongs which he sees have taken over Gotham City, his voice behind the mask is quite chilling to listen to, and his sheer strength which Hardy built up is magnificent.
    And yet... all this still couldn't satisfy my appetite for my ideal conclusive film.
    Was it the plot holes that bothered me? No, they were the least of my nigglings with this film, i just hold the notion that it was too typical, let me explain.

Too often is a bomb or some sort of 'destroy the whole city' type device is used to gain brownie points, i was so disappointed to see this used in TDKR, from a plot so simplistic yet brilliant in The Dark Knight, TDKR attempts to almost wipe any trace of the Joker ever existing, and replaced it with a corporate sequel, bad guys who are after Wayne Enterprises, Bruce Wayne building something which in turn can be used as a nuclear bomb, these common devices to try and create a conclusive story just didn't suit the mood that Chris Nolan was trying to create.
    The large fire-bat signal on the bridge was of particular annoyance to me, i felt it was too old school, it was a step back, it was unrealistic and rather cheesy. Too much time was wasted in the prison, (anyone could have guessed that he shouldn't have used the rope in the first place) and Bane was surprisingly under used in large portions of this film, he was the physical match to Batman and yet he seemed to be standing around for most of the film.
    For these, this film doesnt get a 10, it was excellent, it had thrills, it had heart and it had thought, but not logical thought, falling into traps which big dumb blocker busters tend to do, but I didn't expect this normally straightforward thinking film to follow the same path.
    Worthwhile performances of Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Gary Oldman, make this film hard to diss in terms of acting.
    The set pieces are magnificent, but again, not as thought provoking and mental as TDK.
    Very enjoyable, pulsating action and stellar performances, but The Dark Knight Rises just wasn't satisfying enough and made too many mistakes to have me straight thinking throughout its run.
  89. Feb 17, 2013
    The dark knight rises had high expectations due to the Success of the first two films(batman begins..8/10 and batman the dark knight 9/10) so i had an open mind when watching batman TDR because EVERYONE knows that the third movie in any series faces an uphill battle when put against the first two movies!! That being said...lets see how TDR faired! The good: the opening scene is incredible by showing how smart determined bane is. Afterward's the movies focuses on bruce wayne...commissioner gordon...selina kile alfred. People mentioned there's no character development but i disagree as bruce/batman both evolve throughout the movie each having their own agenda..bruce basiclly a hermitt trying to cope with the loss of rachel ends up losing everything he owns alfred desperately trying to stop bruce from becoming batman for fear of him WANTING to die! This wedge between them essentially destroys their friendship resulting in alfred's surprising departure. Catwoman was a great addition but i wished they did a little more with her story wise but her fight scenes motivations were great! Bane was a great villain for batman their first fight scene was awesome also the decision to not have music in the first fight between them made it more dramatic for me. The overall idea for gotham that bane had was good but this is where the flaws become apparent. The bad: although i do understand why bane's men were ready to die at his command(they were loyal to the league of shadows)i would never stay on an crashing plane because someone told me to nor would i follow someone's order when they said they would kill me RIGHT AFTER IM DONE doing what they asked! Seeing how smart bane was it seems clear that he was committing suicide in the end because he had no escape plan(i dont see bane as suicidal)to escape the nuclear blast! Guys with guns still cant aim sadly run towards batman catwoman with their guns the final fight between bane batman should have been much more dramatic as it ends rather quickly only to have catwman kill bane...which was anti-climactic for me...& how the hell did batman survive an atomic blast with a six mile radius? Josh gordon levett was great as robin(detective) All in all this movie was good but has flaws but its hard to follow heath ledger as the joker(not comparing..just saying)For its efforts I give it an 8/10 Expand
  90. Feb 22, 2013
    Most of the regular readers of this blog will know that I loath superheros, except for Batman. I've always felt there was so much more then meets the eye when it came to that character, but even I didn't see Batman's full potential until Christopher Nolan took the reigns. In all 3 of his Batman films, Nolan made the Dark Knight as realistic as possible, with characters we can relate to, real situations, and real dialogue, that's free of all the ridiculous puns it's predecessors loved so much. The third installment takes places eight years after the events of the Dark Knight, when Gotham has been safe, and the Batman wasn't needed. That is until the powerful Bane shows up. Unlike the first two, this script does not follow the original comic story and skews off in several different ways. Unless you're a longtime fan of the series, you won't realize it, but for us fans, there are some very unexpected developments, which I assume were thrown in to throw off even the most die-hard fans. As for the film, it was amazing in every way possible and was everything I expect from Christopher Nolan, but still, it lacked something and that something was an extraordinary villain. We were all spoiled in The Dark Knight with one of the best performances of all time, and while this film is remarkable, it's lacking a stand out performance from one of it's stars. I can find very little fault with this film other than the fact that no one character really stood out and made themselves as memorable as Heath Ledger did in the Dark Knight. Expand
  91. Aug 24, 2014
    A strong 3 1/2 stars. I'm hard pressed to take it down from 4, but frankly, I don't feel the good kind of impact just yet.

I'm having a lot of mixed feelings about this movie. Much anticipated on my part, following one of my all-time favorites, "The Dark Knight", perhaps it was a lot of pressure.

Post-movie, I found myself wondering: "Where is Batman?" - because in a movie about the
    caped crusader you would imagine getting a lot of screen time from the man dressed as a big bad bat. I found myself realizing that this movie, all in all, didn't focus on Batman - or even Bruce Wayne - nearly as much as I expected. He was there in spirit, but absent in physical presence.

Anna Hathaway as Selina Kyle (Catwoman) wasn't nearly as impressive as you would think. I just felt like she didn't really have a place in the movie.

Tom Hardy's Bane was big and intimidating (although I missed his own voice when Bane's kept pitching up and down).

Miranda Tate (Marion Cotillard, also seen in "Inception" with JGL and Hardy, now that I recall) was a surprise factor, until which point her presence in the movie made me wonder "why?" more than once.

A surprise lies in Joseph Gordon-Lewitt's John Blake (his role just gets better near the end). He got a lot of screen time, and his story seemed more interesting than a lot of the things going on around him. (A special surprise for him near the end!)

Michael Caine as Alfred and Morgan Freeman as Fox reprise their roles, but are very low-key, as well as Gary Oldman's Gordon.

All in all the story, sadly, was jumpy, feeling like it was patched together from pieces too small, the scenes not cohesive at all and almost hurried. Maybe it was jerked in too many viewpoints at once, or they tried for a different style, but it didn't work for me, at least not in the first viewing. There was a little too much "tell" rather than "show", to pick up the slack.

The sounds were another thing; the music was too loud, as was the theatrical, dark rumbling. They together drowned anything and everything in their way.

So... definitely mixed feelings after the first viewing, but the movie had a lot of small gems scattered all around. It didn't get close to any of the characters, especially Wayne/Batman, although he was battling rather personal demons all along, climbing back from the depression of the last movie.

Bat-fans: check it out. Definitely worth the watch, and it can only get better in future viewings, that I guarantee.
  92. Jul 21, 2012
    A big and solid thrillride. It is not perfect however and contains less depth and relevance than it claims to. I like Nolans firmly logical approach to film-making and his portrayal of rationality, but he misses some of the beauty of humanity and individuals, he misses grace and love and kindness in his protagonists, and the antagonists don't seem very deeply motivated, though they kind of get explained. In other words, Batman as seen by a great orchestrator but a less great psychologist and humanist. More so than in the previous movies of his trilogy. Recommended for the fun ride. Expand
  93. Jul 22, 2013
    Pretty boring...The dark knight rises is the worst batman movie i ever seen..in other words: horrible.....me quede dormido en el cine jajajaja................
  94. Oct 7, 2013
    Nolan's vision is unmistakable, but the ride to that destination is riddled with questionable subplots, underwhelming editing, punch-less action sequences and Bane's 'cleared' voice.
  95. Jul 26, 2012
    This movie is good, not great. It is fairly formulaic and simple minded compared to it's profound predecessor which included (Heath Ledger). I liked the movie, but I think if it stood alone .. It would be even less weighty of a flick, it's too dependent on past events for substance. I think it is weaker because of this.

Still for closure, and predictable end it was worth matinee price.
    And it had Batman, with a little too subtle cat woman appearance ... Expand
  96. Jul 26, 2012
    It was a great movie, but left a lot to be desired. Even with the unrealistic expectations set by the Dark Knight, this movie is barely a shadow to that. I wanted to enjoy the movie so much more than I did. It just felt very bland in several spots that I knew should be exciting. The first fight between Bane and Batman for example left me just wanting and wishing for something better. It was almost like the movie was just going through the motions at several points. Still, it's a solid conclusion to one of the best trilogies ever made. Expand
  97. Dec 6, 2012
    There is nothing wrong with liking or loving a movie. And this does not change if that movie is critically amazing or horrible.

So love TDKR, but any critical and intelligence observation of TDKR will turn up that it fails on almost every level at be coherent, believable, and just all-round good. It has far to many faults for me to even start to outline them here, and others have
    already done this far better that I ever could. So all I will say is that it is an absolutely horrible film that manages to ruin everything that it had going for itself. What makes this so unbelievable and unforgivable is that the previous titles in the series were instant classics, and some of the best films of the last ten years.

Any review of this film over a 50% is undoubtedly either paid for (or other wise biased against the critics judgement) . Or was not actually written by a film critic, but simply a writer (paid or otherwise) to write a review (without any skill at actually critiquing a film).
  98. Nov 12, 2012
    Great way to end the trilogy. Amazing first 90 minutes of the movie, with a great villain and great setup. And even though last act is little bit weak (deaths of villains are VERY underwhelming), overall, a great conclusions to the trilogy.
  99. Aug 31, 2014
    Following the triumph of The Dark Knight, it takes a lot more than this to surpass it. Yes, Anne Hathaway is a brilliant addition--but not nearly enough to make this a quality film.
  100. Oct 24, 2012
    Nolan done it again. TDKR is a triumph, held down by some minor niggles. Surprisingly, despite my initial negative view of Anne Hathaway as catwoman, I felt that Hathaway has done a terrific job being catwoman and really, this is her sexiest role yet. However, her screentime was a tad lacking and to be honest, her contribution to the actual plot is minor if not unecessary if taking a harsh stance. The brilliant plot, great combination of soundtrack and visual enticements as well as brilliant acting retains the excellent Nolan formula that everyone would enjoy. The fight scenes are genuine not cliche' or death-defyingly unrealistic. The twists in the film will get you, no matter how hard you think each time. And throw in a controversial, highly debatable, ambiguous-as-hell ending for good effect (as always). The chemistry just works and really does prove Nolan's prowess as a director and writer. Dont get me wrong, the movie's not perfect. There are so many plot elements there that can be debated for and many characters actually go against the batman canon (watch for the twist near the end. For avid batman fanboys out there and those who's played Batman: Arkham City, you'll be cutting yourself). Is this better than the Dark Knight? No, not really. Is it worse? No, definitely not. Sure Heath Ledger's joker was a sensation, take that away and apart from some thrills, the 2nd movie is definitely sub-par to TDKR by a cat's whisker. Ultimately, it does have some neglible flaws that you probably wont care if you're just watching the movie for fun. If you're a deep thinker and adopted an 'Inception'-esque mindset to the film, you will find many discrepancies in the plot flow. My money for Nolan's best film is still Inception but TDKR is without question THE best action/superhero film of the year. Sorry, Avengers. While I enjoy Avengers (a LOT to be honest), TDKR just tops the comedy-action formula the Avengers had and introduced the standard Nolan-excellence that we have all witnessed before. An intelligent film with class, brilliant execution and acting definitely tops an all-out action film reliant on CG-sequences/witty dialogue/a truckload of top-end, expensive Hollywood stars. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.