8.4

1. Apr 14, 2013
    A great movie, the worst of the series, but still fantastic. Operates on a huge scale, great characters all around, but no one as great as Ledger in The Dark Knight(which is basically impossible). Hardy does a great job as Bane, Oldman Bale and Caine are good as usual. Great all around
  2. Apr 12, 2013
    Boy, was I disappointed when I saw this film for the first time. I went with my brothers and girlfriend and there was an overwhelming sense of, nothingness. The opening scene was pretty rad, but after that the film just kind of flops. A ridiculous amount of filler, nonsensical story line twists, awful editing and audio. Even worse was the ending, without any spoilers all I'm saying is... Don't get your hopes up. Probably the worst ending to a film I've seen in a long time. Bane was okay, but there are hundreds of better batman villains. Overall, a pretty awful film. Expand
  3. Apr 7, 2013
    Rarely do I have as many mixed feelings and opinions after having seen The Dark Knight Rises. It felt epic. It was moving. It felt long. It worked well as a book-end to the trilogy. It felt forced. The performances were excellent. Anne Hathaway as Selena the Cat Woman. Joseph Gordon- Levitt as Blake, Michael Caine, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman and so on. The last 30 minutes were just fantastic, worth the previous
    two-plus hour wait. Better than the Batman Begins but fell short of
    Heath Ledger's Dark Knight (could that movie been as good without
    him?).

Overall I think it suffered from being too grandiose by trying to do
    too much. The multiple acts didn't click together as they did in The
    Dark Knight. The suspension of disbelief was less "suspended" than
    utterly confounded how did Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) go from
    emaciated cripple to muscle-bound butt-kicker in one day? And the
    finale, while enjoyable, had so many twists and conveniences it would
    have made my head spin if I wasn't enjoying it so much.

To be fair, I think the best way to judge The Dark Knight Rises is as
    an attempt to close an epic story-line with a focus on continuity
    between the three films, reinforcing Nolan's conflicting "hopeful
    nihilism" philosophy. I look forward to watching all three back-to-back
    to see his vision uninterrupted by tragic events and the passage of
    time.
  4. Apr 7, 2013
    For me this is really an extremely over-hyped movie. and thanks to the hype it led me to be a bit disappointed. For a movie about Batman, Batman isn't really in it that much. Tom Hardy does a great job of portraying Bane & Anna Hathaway is a fantastic Catwoman. But even with top end effects and great acting, it does not save it from some sloppy writing. So much detail went inot almost everything in this movie, yet there are so many plot holes and "convenient" occurrences to give this film the credibility it desperately wants. On top of that, it has soooo much padding that it feels like it goes on forever. This movie could easily have been cut down to a more reasonable running time. Still, I digress. I still think it is a great movie. Not as good as the previous one but better than all the other batman movies (aside from Tim Burton's Batman.)

Overall: Dark Knight Rises perhaps tries to do too much and in that gets a little lost at times. Still, Nolan did succeed to make an epic ending to his saga and I still thoroughly enjoyed the movie.
  5. Mar 24, 2013
    Finally, after four years of waiting, we were able to enjoy the long-awaited end of the masked hero's incredible trilogy of the amazing Mr. Nolan.
    I thought that would outsell its predecessor epic The Dark Knight, but it's obvious the series, it was not, but the movie itself is very good.
    Sadly, the film is very scattered and disjointed, the weakest of the three in the section of the
    script, do not understand what your goal, which meant the goal of Bane is too absurd, too much work for you all to focus on revenge rather limited, meanwhile, the goal of Talia no sense, because it was destroyed to make Batman see his dream and that people show their true colors, but this dream was not destroyed after five months, only is about to destroy the city with the pump and that's it .
    Plot was simple, the former was glorious in that aspect.
    Batman recovered if it was Rocky and suddenly the cops are released from the sewers, join him as having been buried for a day, why not have the effect of staying five months underground without any hygiene without sick and ready for combat?, that there is as swallowing.
    The scene of the well is very good but has a good error,
    seem a paid vacation to a spiritual retreat to recover, then nothing happens, the inmates give advice, not cure, do not mess with him, are limited to support for leaving What the hell is going on in this movie?
    Among many things can be seen in the film, the rating I give them doubtful result, but despite its flaws script, is highly recommended, the performances are very good, the direction of Mr. Nolan is still epic.
    Not as I expected, really, but as you guessed, Mr. Nolan did not disappoint. The Dark Knight Rises shows the greatness of christhoper nolan to direct monumental works of film and proves once again, the true greatness of this character. My Score: 9.5
  6. Mar 24, 2013
    This not only an epic conclusion to Chris Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, it was an epic conclusion to a summer filled with excitment. Not only was the storyline and acting fantastic, two characters really stuck out. Bane and Catwoman. Tom Hardy really brings in the fear of Bane with his incredible acting and dark complection to a wonderful villan. Anne Hathaway showcase's a sexy cat who can kick some serious butt. She truly is one of the greatest actresses of 2012. Surprisingly, i thought it was better than "The Dark Knight", but that's just me. I think the story is more darker and engaging than Dark Knight, but the Joker (Heath Ledger) is still the greatest villan ever. Overall, it's a tremendous movie, GO SEE IT! Expand
  7. Mar 14, 2013
    The final installment in the best superhero movie franchise of all time is equal to its predecessors. The additions of Tom Hardy as Bane and Anne Hathaway as Catwoman are great and Michael Caine continues tobe the standout performance.
  8. Mar 11, 2013
    This movie is amazing, regardless of all the cliches, and retarded moments like how bruce got cable reception from a prison detached from the outside world. This movie still provided the best possible entertainment and an amazing ending that surprised me.
  9. Mar 9, 2013
    Nolan shows his skills again.I can't tell you how awesome this movie was,from beginning to end perfect and don't comparable! The movie tells us a story ,that we all known from the news,about terrorism.And that isn't all ,it's interesting what all you can find in this movie when you pay attention for it. And then the amazing end.TDKR is epic.A spectacle that you must have seen.
  10. Mar 6, 2013
    The Dark Knight Rises is such an amazing movie! The epic finale of the Dark Knight trilogy has finally started out. I love the trilogy. It has a perfect emotion! Batman is my favorite hero
  11. Mar 4, 2013
    The best movie of the summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was action packed, perfectly and carefully directed, and the villain Bane was fantastic. The only flaw was that Anne Hathaway wasn't very good as Catwoman.
  12. Mar 2, 2013
    I never thought that superheroes movies were believable until i saw the batman trilogy Christopher Nolan proves to be one of the greatest directors ever, Anne Hathaway is a beautiful addition and the ending was promising and decent for a trilogy very well done
  13. Feb 28, 2013
    batman is awful b/c he is predictably moral and thus just another boring super doofus of a hero. grow some balls marvel and show something dark and real.
  14. Feb 26, 2013
    The emphasis on visuals takes away from the gritty characterisation and storytelling which made the last film so great. While it is nice to look at, it's not so great to watch. Still, it's Nolan's Batman.
  15. Feb 24, 2013
    I am bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!
  16. Feb 23, 2013
    While probably not quite on a par with The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, bigger and darker than the previous instalments, is certainly worthy of being the closing chapter to Christopher Nolan excellent Dark Knight trilogy.

From the awesome opening plane hijack stunt that introduces Bane, the film is littered with action sequences and really is one huge spectacle. On top of the
    action, the film is balanced by the soul-searching and recovery of Bruce Wayne, not once but twice as well as reasonably well handled themes of social equality.

Tom Hardy brings an intensity to Bane, a different, more physically imposing intensity than Heath Ledger's Joker, and the character is certainly an improvement on the previous portrayal of Bane (Batman Robin!). He is given the best lines of the script to deliver through his menacing mask-affected voice. Anne Hathway plays Selina Kyle (never referred to as Catwoman), and here is where I have an issue with the Nolan brothers. I was intrigued how they would adapt Catwoman into their Dark Knight universe, and for me it was a let down. She is not the true villain of the comics, instead she is pitched as an ambiguous distraction from the battle with Bane, chasing anonymity from her thieving background and willing to side with whoever can grant it to her.

At 165 minutes, TDKR is stretching the limits of an action film run time but managed to keep my attention. Some of the film's plot holes have earned some attention from critics, the only one I had a problem with was how Wayne got back to Gotham with no money, connections and with the city under lock-down. I imagine Christopher Nolan must have spent many night wondering how to conclude his trilogy. Leave it open ended? Retire Batman? Kill Batman? Anyway, his decision worked for me (despite the ending having remarkable parallels to 2011's Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows).
  17. Feb 22, 2013
    Most of the regular readers of this blog will know that I loath superheros, except for Batman. I've always felt there was so much more then meets the eye when it came to that character, but even I didn't see Batman's full potential until Christopher Nolan took the reigns. In all 3 of his Batman films, Nolan made the Dark Knight as realistic as possible, with characters we can relate to, real situations, and real dialogue, that's free of all the ridiculous puns it's predecessors loved so much. The third installment takes places eight years after the events of the Dark Knight, when Gotham has been safe, and the Batman wasn't needed. That is until the powerful Bane shows up. Unlike the first two, this script does not follow the original comic story and skews off in several different ways. Unless you're a longtime fan of the series, you won't realize it, but for us fans, there are some very unexpected developments, which I assume were thrown in to throw off even the most die-hard fans. As for the film, it was amazing in every way possible and was everything I expect from Christopher Nolan, but still, it lacked something and that something was an extraordinary villain. We were all spoiled in The Dark Knight with one of the best performances of all time, and while this film is remarkable, it's lacking a stand out performance from one of it's stars. I can find very little fault with this film other than the fact that no one character really stood out and made themselves as memorable as Heath Ledger did in the Dark Knight. Expand
  18. Feb 20, 2013
    Get cheap 60% off Kingdoms of Camelot gems from clashofclansgem.com Clashofclansgem.com Ensure you insert your CoC Game Center Account and password in the box of Special Instructions or Order Comments for quick delivery to you! You can also contact our 24/7 online customer service,tell us your Game Center Account and password to confirm your order for delivery! Delivery time is usually within 24 hours!!

Kingdoms of Camelot 1600 Gems
    Kingdoms of Camelot 3200 Gems
    Kingdoms of Camelot 9600 Gems
    Kingdoms of Camelot 6400 Gems
  19. Feb 17, 2013
    The dark knight rises had high expectations due to the Success of the first two films(batman begins..8/10 and batman the dark knight 9/10) so i had an open mind when watching batman TDR because EVERYONE knows that the third movie in any series faces an uphill battle when put against the first two movies!! That being said...lets see how TDR faired! The good: the opening scene is incredible by showing how smart determined bane is. Afterward's the movies focuses on bruce wayne...commissioner gordon...selina kile alfred. People mentioned there's no character development but i disagree as bruce/batman both evolve throughout the movie each having their own agenda..bruce basiclly a hermitt trying to cope with the loss of rachel ends up losing everything he owns alfred desperately trying to stop bruce from becoming batman for fear of him WANTING to die! This wedge between them essentially destroys their friendship resulting in alfred's surprising departure. Catwoman was a great addition but i wished they did a little more with her story wise but her fight scenes motivations were great! Bane was a great villain for batman their first fight scene was awesome also the decision to not have music in the first fight between them made it more dramatic for me. The overall idea for gotham that bane had was good but this is where the flaws become apparent. The bad: although i do understand why bane's men were ready to die at his command(they were loyal to the league of shadows)i would never stay on an crashing plane because someone told me to nor would i follow someone's order when they said they would kill me RIGHT AFTER IM DONE doing what they asked! Seeing how smart bane was it seems clear that he was committing suicide in the end because he had no escape plan(i dont see bane as suicidal)to escape the nuclear blast! Guys with guns still cant aim sadly run towards batman catwoman with their guns the final fight between bane batman should have been much more dramatic as it ends rather quickly only to have catwman kill bane...which was anti-climactic for me...& how the hell did batman survive an atomic blast with a six mile radius? Josh gordon levett was great as robin(detective) All in all this movie was good but has flaws but its hard to follow heath ledger as the joker(not comparing..just saying)For its efforts I give it an 8/10 Expand
  20. Feb 12, 2013
    I liked the previous two movies from the series, but this one did not live up to my expectations. Way too long, predictable and many times illogical (mostly the motivation behind certain characters). Also I think it was less mature than the previous movie, somehow I feel it was lacking the serious dramatic approach. The whole movie felt like Mr. Nolan had to make a movie, but he was lacking the great idea he had previously when making the first two movies.... Expand
  21. Feb 8, 2013
    Found this movie totally satisfying on every level. The acting, directing and score are all top notch here. I had thought going into this movie that there was no way it could reach the levels of The Dark Knight, but in my humble opinion it did. The Dark Knight Rises is the perfect send off to the best comic book series of all time and I really enjoyed how everything came full circle by the time it had ended. My favorite film of 2012. Expand
  22. Feb 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Dark Knight rises is the third installment of the hugely popular reboot of the batman franchise. Christopher Nolan continues to entertain the mind, heart and eyes with beautifully, yet dark scenery shot in various locations and studios in the USA and the UK. Nolan, known for his non-linear method of storytelling in movies such as Memento (2000) and Inception (2012), makes a departure from that style in order to appeal to a crowd more interested in comic book action films. This is not a criticism, but is instead appreciated in order to stay true to the genre. This film is a breath of fresh air within the crowded comic book genre. Facing stiff competition from the whole Avengers group as well as Spiderman and Superman, this movie holds its own. The story spans across three equally excellent movies whose plots are deeply intertwined. Michael Caine continues his role of Alfred the butler and is just as believable and lovable as in the other films. Morgan Freeman is also back, reprising his role as Lucius Fox, the man behind the R&D division and CEO of Wayne Enterprises. Two new notable characters; Cat woman, played by Anne Hathaway and John Blake, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, round out the talent in the film.
    The Dark Knight Rises begins 8 years after the Dark Knight, on the anniversary of Harvey Dent’s death, the world has changed. Crime is at an all-time low, thanks to “The Dent Act” which limits the rights of convicted felons, in the way the patriot act does to people suspected of terrorism does in the US. However, this “peace” is disrupted when Bane, an ex-communicated member of the League of shadows, led by Ra’s al Ghul (Batman Begins), has come back to finish Ra’s mission of cleansing Gotham.
    My only gripe with this movie, as with the other two movies in the series, is Bale’s batman. More specifically, the voice he gives batman. The best I can describe it is an angry mono-tone whisper, no matter his audience the voice remains the same; no feeling, no imagination and no real reason why, as it’s not explained in the movie. It is so distracting that is often the one trait that is able to pull me out of a world where a crime fighting billionaire dressed as a bat exists.
  23. Feb 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. BEST BATMAN FILM EVER!!!! Not Christopher Nolan's best, that title belongs to Inception, but definitely Batman's best! It was the perfect end to Christopher Nolan's perfect trilogy. The most awesome thing in the world would be if they did another one with Joseph Gordon-Levitt continuing the legacy as Batman, as it was hinted at the end of the film. Expand
  24. Feb 4, 2013
    Bane was a much more effective villain for Batman than the Joker. He was calculating and had much bigger designs, and was too smart for Batman (but then again so was Joker), not to mention his superiority in physical strength and fighting skill. I enjoyed his every scene. The best thing about Rises was that the character of Batman was actually developed compared to what pathetic little time he was allowed in the previous movie to get a chance to appear as a human. The plot was relentless and kept me on the edge. Some convenient plot jumps appeared on second viewing, such as Batman's return from the prison to an occupied Gotham. Expand
  25. Feb 4, 2013
    The expectations were overwhelmingly high by any standard and the expectations seemed very unrealistic and unfair. At least that's what I thought weeks before I saw it early in August. Back then, i actually felt sorry for Nolan and the huge amount of responsibility he has imposed on him self by making The Dark Knight. But saying that TDKR simply does not deliver is a lie and i've never been so disappointed in my life. What this film delivers is almost 3 hours long tedious and messy melodrama, full of standard cliches, traditional sentiment and clumsy characters. Expand
  26. Jan 29, 2013
    The Dark Knight Rises is the epic 3 hour movie concluding the Dark Knight trilogy as the direct sequel to The Dark Knight. Plot: 8 years after the events of The Dark Knight, Gotham's streets are clean due to the Harvey Dent act. Harvey Dent who became the villianious two-face went against everything he originally stood for and was murdered by Commisioner Gordon (Gary Oldman) but blamed on the Batman instead. Presently, Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) is in a depression as the Batman is no longer needed and has not made a public appearance since that night as well as his alter ego. However, evil is rising as Bane (Tom Hardy) an ex member of the League of Shadows is creating an underground army to raid Gotham. With tensions rising Batman will come into conflict with Catwoman (Anne Hathaway), and will have to rely on new allies such as Blake (Joseph Gordon Levitt). My opinion: This movie was an epic finale with such well placed story. The story of a man depressed after his duty has been done and cannot move on. Director Chris Nolan has such art of movie making as his story twists and has much relevance to the rest of his briliiant work Expand
  27. Jan 26, 2013
    Maybe i am kind of exasgered, but this is my favorite movie. It has an super emotional story, impresive cast, great effects and so many themes and epic music. Christopher Nolan, epic film
  28. Jan 25, 2013
    Not even the plotholes could stop this movie from being so great. Yep, I said it. The plotholes actually add a sense of mystery to the film, and not only that , it is the most thoughtful, sad, and intense film in the series. I am just angry as to how underrated this film is.
  29. Jan 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Dark Knight Rises fails to deliver in every respect of the trilogy. My only praise goes towards the action sequences and the ending of the film. Otherwise, this is a pointless film with several large plot holes. As the last film of a trilogy, the role of this film is to wrap up the entire trilogy. The entire second film could have been taken out and the third film would not have been changed. Harvey Dent and Rachel's deaths, which should have been felt throughout the film, hardly contributed to the plot, even after Bane reveals Dent's true actions. Expand
  30. Jan 23, 2013
    Not as good as the Dark Knight, this epic by Nolan is still a masterpiece. Everything is glorious - the filming, the action, the acting, but this time plotholes are present, and if you think about them, they're somewhat big. But those don't spoil the impression of the movie, especially if it's viewed in IMAX. Besides, most of the plotholes can be answered by simple "Because he's Batman!". One of the strongest parts of the Batman stories is the villains. And Tom Hardy doesn't disappoint, his performance as Bane is amazing, considering he can't use his facial expressions due to the mask. I'm quite a fan of Nolan and his Dark Knight trilogy, so I might be exaggerating, but even though TDKR is worse than its predecessor, it is the best movie of summer 2012 and one of the best movies ever. Expand
  31. Jan 21, 2013
    I've seen every movie in this trilogy, The dark knight is best movie. This is an very good superhero movie, very good directed by Christopher Nolan. I like everything in this movie, the cast, the story,....
    This is the best movie of 2012.
  32. Jan 20, 2013
    What a great movie. I loved it so much. Brilliant performances from every member of the cast and a fantastic storyline. It always helps a movie when the bad guy is good and Tom Hardy's Dane was fantastic. Anne Hathaway, Gary Oldman and Joseph Gordon-Levitt were all excellent in th film. One of my favourite films of all time.
  33. Jan 19, 2013
    The best movie of the year in my opinion. It really raps a bow around the Nolan batman trilogy. Sure there are some plot holes, but i think this movie has been negatively received by some people because of the Colorado shooting.
  34. Jan 16, 2013
    Was it writing on the wall? Was it karma being a **** I mean i suppose we were never going to have two epic superhero films (the other being The Avengers) in the same year...but damn I wanted this movie to succeed in every way, shape and form that would throw at us...but it just didn't.
    Trust me, this movie is fantastic, but its not a masterpiece, by no means flawless and certainly not
    the best entry into the series.
    Set 8 years after the events of the Joker and Harvey Dent fiasco, we see Bruce Wayne/Batman (Christian Bale) is a social recluse, shutting himself out to the rest of the world, until of course duty calls to get him back into the swing of the things.
    We then see the appearance of Selina Kyle, dressed in a leather suit (lets not say Catwoman) who is arguably one of the standout performances of the film, Anne Hathaway's performance needs to be lauded for her dangerously enjoyable take on the cat burglar, sharp dialogue and not a dull moment with this one.
    Tom hardy, as usual, throws himself into the character of Bane, a terrorist here to right the wrongs which he sees have taken over Gotham City, his voice behind the mask is quite chilling to listen to, and his sheer strength which Hardy built up is magnificent.
    And yet... all this still couldn't satisfy my appetite for my ideal conclusive film.
    Was it the plot holes that bothered me? No, they were the least of my nigglings with this film, i just hold the notion that it was too typical, let me explain.

Too often is a bomb or some sort of 'destroy the whole city' type device is used to gain brownie points, i was so disappointed to see this used in TDKR, from a plot so simplistic yet brilliant in The Dark Knight, TDKR attempts to almost wipe any trace of the Joker ever existing, and replaced it with a corporate sequel, bad guys who are after Wayne Enterprises, Bruce Wayne building something which in turn can be used as a nuclear bomb, these common devices to try and create a conclusive story just didn't suit the mood that Chris Nolan was trying to create.
    The large fire-bat signal on the bridge was of particular annoyance to me, i felt it was too old school, it was a step back, it was unrealistic and rather cheesy. Too much time was wasted in the prison, (anyone could have guessed that he shouldn't have used the rope in the first place) and Bane was surprisingly under used in large portions of this film, he was the physical match to Batman and yet he seemed to be standing around for most of the film.
    For these, this film doesnt get a 10, it was excellent, it had thrills, it had heart and it had thought, but not logical thought, falling into traps which big dumb blocker busters tend to do, but I didn't expect this normally straightforward thinking film to follow the same path.
    Worthwhile performances of Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Gary Oldman, make this film hard to diss in terms of acting.
    The set pieces are magnificent, but again, not as thought provoking and mental as TDK.
    Very enjoyable, pulsating action and stellar performances, but The Dark Knight Rises just wasn't satisfying enough and made too many mistakes to have me straight thinking throughout its run.
  35. Jan 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My god this movie was the worst i have seen in years,the first part was genius...but this,Bain...that voice really!!!! sooo annoying after 40 min i shut it off.....d^_^b it's the best you can do.... trust me and this movie was even movie of the year above Django HAHAHAHAHA not a good move Metacritic!!! Expand
  36. Jan 14, 2013
    This is a very strange movie to review for me. When I watched the movie was engaging and I loved it. It drew me in, entertained me, and I almost teared up at the end. However 5 minutes after watching the flood of plot holes filled my head making it one of the worst written movies I have ever seen. I will not watch it again but watching it for the first time I loved it, so how to review it? I chose to review it on how I enjoyed the first time due to its engaging and drawing me in much like Inception. I may hate it later but for those 2 hours it entertained me greatly. Expand
  37. Jan 11, 2013
    The dark night rises is the worst movie it is so random that lady is bad and bane talks funny avengers is way better and the this Batman was a mistake shame Christopher Nolan.
  38. Jan 11, 2013
    How can I describe this movie batman the dark knight rises well with one simple word EPIC everything about the movie is great. I love the cast and how. it didn't change from the other batman movies I also like the new cast members such as cat women ( Anne Hathaway ) defiantly a great way to end the batman trilogy great work Nolan
  39. Jan 11, 2013
    I'm a huge Batman fan, I've watched every movie so far and I have to admit this is not only one of the best Batman movies (I say one of the best because Batman Forever is my favorite, agree or disagree I don't care it's my favorite) but it's also one of the best superhero movies of all time. It's action packed, has a great story, outstanding acting, and some awesome comic tie-ins. An outstanding movie that I highly recommend watching. Expand
  40. Jan 11, 2013
    The acting was fine, if not subpar at some times. The special effects were fine. The general premise of the movie was fine. However, upon watching this movie, I was waiting for the climax to happen for 3 hours, but then I realized it had already sort of happened. The whole cops-vs-robbers storyline went to an excess, and the fight scenes were poorly filmed. It was a disappointing conclusion to the trilogy. Expand
  41. Jan 10, 2013
    A brilliant end to one of the best trilogies ever made. Nolan took Gotham to places were no one was expecting. Chris Nolan proved once again what he is capable of with this great film.
  42. Lyn
    Jan 6, 2013
    Joseph Gordon-Leavitt really "rises" here : You wonder what the heck HE is doing in a Batman movie, but he wins you over. Overall, a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy, with lots of dark-and-doomy action, though they could have cut 30 mins. from the rather blah backstories. Also would have liked more of the always solid Christian Bale, but Anne Hathaway lit up every scene she was in. Must say "Bane" was a dull villain ... but having raised two sons, I'm sure he and his weird mask will make for a swell 8" action figure. Expand
  43. Jan 6, 2013
    I wasn't impressed. The cinematography has always been fantastic and it was yet again but the rest wasn't that good. The second one is one of my favorite movies ever and the first one was really good but this... it was a good concept executed poorly. Anne Hathaway sucked and the rest were alright. Bane just sounded like a german prostitute and the cop war was almost cool until batman can just walk through it and fight bane with no one else intervening. It was cool and well done with effects and stuff but eh, not impressed Expand
  44. Jan 5, 2013
    A bloated, contrived and self-indulgent barrage of flat dialogue, juvenile characterisation and cliché action sequences. Nolan's post-modernist take on Batman is little more than a static metaphor that takes itself far too seriously and is totally devoid of levity and brevity.
  45. Jan 4, 2013
    Finally got round to watching this. I originally decided against watching it in respect to those folks who tragically passed away in Colorado. Upon viewing it finally out of sheer curiosity it confirmed my fears that its just another over the top mindless violent picture with stale acting and outrageous cuts and shots that it was difficult to keep track of what was going on. I can't stand this high speed quick cuts style. The only part of the film worthy was Tom Hardy. I've liked the guy since Star Trek Nemesis and the great Bronson so Tom as Bane was perfect. The voice could have been done much better and more natural but otherwise that gripe its worth a one time viewing just for Hardy. Other then that nod the rest of the film is a complete waste of time. Even Anne Hathaway fails to give us a new Cat Woman. Nothing tops MIchelle Pfeiffer. Heck Liam Neesom (he gets a nod) even makes an appearance, finally putting me on the edge of my seat and as that scene ends he just vanishes? Terrible screenplay. Never did think too highly of the first but the second was good. Worth a one time rental if your that curious or want to catch Hardy, Neeson, and some of Bale. Nolan in my opinion hasn't made a good film since Insomnia. Expand
  46. Jan 3, 2013
    I really enjoyed this movie; it's one of the best in the Batman franchise. The movie is long, but you won't notice the time passing. Anne Hathaway was excellent as Catwoman and Joseph Gordon-Levitt was a great addition to the plot. Sometimes the dialogue was a bit cheesy, and although I really liked Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne, I found his Batman voice very distracting. Nevertheless, the movie is definitely a "must see" and I'm looking forward to another sequel. Expand
  47. Dec 31, 2012
    I thought this movie ticked all the boxes and was the perfect end to Christopher Nolans batman trilogy. The movie was action packed and had everyone on the edge of their seats at the end. The movie contained a great cast with Christian bale, Michael Caine, Morgan freeman, Anne Hathaway and Tom hardy. The only thing that I didn't understand was the ending and batman surviving the nuclear bomb. Some guy I thought. Maybe even robin( Blake) could have been introduced earlier. But to me this movie and the rest of the trilogy are and will be some of the greatest movies ever created. Expand
  48. Dec 31, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is the best film of 2012, and is one of the best movies of all time. I respect the people that hate on this movie, but i do believe that they are wrong. The entire cast from Bale to Hardy to Freeman to Cain all deserve Oscar consideration. Nolan should be nominated for best director if not win. Han Zimmer's score is one of the best of the past 20 years but he has out done himself with the theme for Bane, i will say no more on this wonderful piece of music but please go check it out. The Dark Knight Rises is a masterful, wonderful, glorious piece of film-making.A+ Expand
  49. Dec 30, 2012
    Epic conclusion indeed. Nolan had a great start to the trilogy and now he has a great end to the trilogy. It was however a little bit less exciting than I thought but who gives it was still awesome. Tom Hardy gives the performance of his not so great career and Anne Hathway is by far the best Catwoman I've ever seen. Bane was probably one of the most interesting villians ever. Instead of the all-time insane Joker who kills to but fear in people's hearts, Bane humilates everyone in Gotham including Batman. John Blake in the very end is a brief hero but finds his true fate outside of the police force. Now that the trilogy is over though, I have to wonder what Nolan will do now? Expand
  50. Dec 29, 2012
    Shockingly inept storytelling, especially given how solid the first two Nolan Batman films were. The cinematography and direction are as gorgeous as they were in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but the story is a complete wreck. A bit of creative license is needed for even the grittiest superhero film, but TDKR treats viewers like their IQs top out at 68. Nothing makes a whit of sense, the pacing is terrible, and the movie wastes Tom Hardy behind and mask and a ridiculous voice. A few energetic action sequences and Anne Hathaway's fun performance (and amazing figure in that suit) keep it from being a complete failure, but it's terribly close. Even Alfred's speeches are tiresome in this one. I just watched it for a second time, and it somehow makes even less sense than the first time around. Nolan tried to dress up an incredibly weak screenplay with lots of bells and whistles, but it's all empty noise. Expand
  51. Dec 29, 2012
    "The Dark Knight Rises" presents an incomprehensibly muddled story, a swarm of too many new characters, and a tediously spiritual journey of Batman
  52. Dec 28, 2012
    Somewhat disappointed. I am in the minority I think, in that I rate Batman Begins as the best Superhero movie ever, it actually was a very good movie with a superhero. The Dark Knight Rises could have maybe surpassed it had it been one movie (beginning and ending with the joker) rather than meandering further along with the much less interesting "two face" story. But getting to The Dark Knight Rises, villain, OK, not great, catwomen, great, Michael Cain and Morgan Freeman, their usual able and likable selves, but nothing new added.

My main problem with the movie was this, I can buy into superheroes and supevillians in movies, but the world they function in still has to have a certain believability in terms of rules and logic. So a guy takes a whole city hostage, and the world just kind of steps back and watches because of the threat of blowing everybody up or whatever? Wouldn't there be some special ops or at least intelligence operations being undertaken by the US Govt? I know its a movie, but that part just seemed too goofy to get beyond to me, the whole city takeover and helpless for 60 days or whatever. The good, the beginning, most any scene with Anne Hathaway, the very end tied it all up pretty well and was pretty cool. The mediocre, pretty much the rest of the movie.
  53. Dec 26, 2012
    How could people compare this to the Avengers? The Avengers was a kids movie with horribly bad writing, uninspired acting, and extremely convoluted action scenes. The Dark Knight Rises on the other hand did have inspired acting, a script that was above average for any action film, and was built around action that made sense, and was creative. The Dark Knight Rises was a perfect 10 out of 10 when compared to other films in the big, epic, action adventure genre. Add to this a story that ended the series perfectly, and I have to say that I was 100% satisfied by this film. The only reason that I am giving it a 9 instead of a 10 is because the script, as in all epic, action, adventure films, could have been better. Expand
  54. Dec 25, 2012
    An awesome finale to the series. Not as good as "The Avengers" or "The Amazing Spider-man", but still a very good superhero movie. The best plot and action in the whole series, and the most twists and turns which will glue your eyes to the TV screen. Without a doubt among the best movies in all of 2012.
  55. Dec 24, 2012
    After Nolan's impressive new debut of the caped crusader, and his show-stopping powerhouse sequel, the expectations for the conclusion to his Batman trilogy were admittedly really high - even though we already knew no villain could hope to top the Joker. Yet, somewhat disappointingly, "The Dark Knight Rises" is the weakest of the three films. Even though it finally balances the villain character with Bruce Wayne's character, even though it took everything to new heights of drama and action, even though it retained the modern look of "Knight" while reviving some of "Begins"'s atmosphere . . . . . it honestly all felt like a little too epic for Batman. Do we really need Gotham plunged into 6 months of anarchy under threat of a decomposing nuclear core? Do we really need Bruce Wayne trapped in an underground prison for the whole second act? Yeah, the plot this time is a little jumbled and has a few holes, and the action scenes are generally not as impressive. Bane as a villain is pretty good, even though he's also the weakest antagonist of the trilogy and is killed off way too abruptly, and overall the film just isn't as gripping or entertaining as the others, despite its highly-promising opening and a great fight scene at the start of the second act. Nonetheless, it's certainly still a pretty strong movie. Expand
  56. Dec 22, 2012
    The comic-book nature of this film is inevitable, and there is an instinct not to take it too seriously as a grown-up movie. If it weren't for the constant flow of violence (bystanders get shot like cardboard ducks at a booth where you win stuffed animals), this film is perfect for ages 13-17. After 17, most high-schoolers will be too mature. Christian Bale is a serious Batman and a seriously handsome one, but his character is superficial. He's committed to justice, he's awfully rich, and he avoids romantic entanglements. He prizes the paternal loyalty of his butler, Alfred, played by Michael Caine. Caine reprises his role for the first act of the film, gets written out of the script for reasons that are too mundane to remember, and shows up at the very end to reassure viewers that he is still looking after his boy. Batman's nemesis is Catwoman, a thief played by Anne Hathaway, a sort of female Robin Hood, who steals from the rich to give to the only poor person she cares about, which is herself. Not quite as altruistic as one would hope for, but Hathaway does give Catwoman a new dimension heretofore unseen in comic books and previous feline versions of the character. She's a professional thief, desperate to support herself with her thieving skills, but also desperate to find a new identity so that she can start over without a criminal record and have a normal life. It's her fatal flaw; she'll agree to almost anything if someone can promise her a clean slate. Hathaway apparently did martial arts, yoga, and a lot of dieting and working out to prepare for this role and it shows--she's in good enough shape to be a kickboxing champion. She starts out as a bad guy, or girl, but mellows later in the film, mostly because she falls in love with Bruce Wayne. (Batman is a bit more vulnerable in this version because of his love for Catwoman, which is a softening touch in a film that badly needs one.) Batman has an unofficial partner, a rookie cop named John Blake played aptly by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who is clever and inventive and often saves the day. In the end, we find out Blake doesn't like to use his real name, which is "Robin." (This is not a spoiler.) The real bad guy is a Darth Vader type named Bane. He is deadly, criminally insane, and beyond hope, but he does have a weak spot that shows he has a heart. The spot is so weak that it's not very believable, and his version of heart is a case of too little, too late. Bane is too evil and too predictable; his violent behavior is pure insanity, and he's in danger of being monotonous. Marion Cotillard as Miranda, who knows Wayne through high society and high funding circles, has to make an about-face at one point that, again, comes late in the film and without warning so that it looks like a plot twist written in at the last minute. The prison of the film is a Dantean hell with hope for redemption being only a hole in the ceiling that gives the prisoners a circular view of heaven--a visual symbolism that is almost brilliant but does not quite redeem the rest of the film. A surrealistic sham courtroom where everyone is sentenced to death or exile is right out of Kafka's The Trial. Despite these literary touches, the movie is too grim, violent and predictable, although Batman fans seem to love it anyway. Too many people seem to know that Wayne is Batman in this sequel, and you would think that it would be all over the Internet. The film is still visually entertaining with excellent actors and manages to hold your interest, although admittedly the next morning you won't remember what happened or why. Expand
  57. Dec 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is very hard not to like this film in some small way from one of the greatest cast of actors on display. However this film was no Batman at all, the comic 's have been re-written into yet another terrorism movie. This is not Batman or Gotham. The film dragged on and on, giving much more time to dialogue which can be appreciated from the greatness of its actors. Though as previous this wasn't entirely Batman. Bane was missing the most important part of his character the venom, Batman defeats him in also every exchange from that weakness within the comic 's. The film had you believe Bane was in the league of shadows for its most part. While in truth he is a henchman for hire, but this films interpretation was altogether very wrong and misleadingly misguided. Catwoman dating Batman was so absurd it makes me angry. What little appeal she had is soon forgotten while her character is missing it's kink her whip, her sexiness is altogether lost when she then sells out to Batman. Bruce Wayne almost going broke and losing billions when he is a trillionare. Leaving some inheritance to Alfred and donating his heritage Wayne manor to orphans. This has left one of the worst tastes in my mouth out of any film of this calibre. The film was utterly disappointing a ploy to engage that fear of terrorism in the world today. While rewriting most of the comic book Batman and Gotham. I cannot imagine anyone sitting in the cinema for this film..... Expand
  58. Dec 21, 2012
    Nolan has, once again, managed to create that thing that made Batman Begins and The Dark Knight so special. I for instance can't name what that is, but I can say this, the movie feels as if every move of action was thought of, every part of speech read through at least a hundred times. The Dark Knight Rises is just one of those movies that leaves you thinking "Wow, I can't even... Wow!". I was speechless when the movie ended. The plot twisted and turned all the time, you could never expect anything or if you would, I bet the plot would turn the other way. Bane as the villain is just what a villain is supposed to be. The movie is extremely dark, and it lets you know that in a lot of its parts. I as a fan of The Dark Knight trilogy can say that this is my favorite movie in the saga, and it ends just as epic as it should. Epic end to an epic trilogy. I would also like to touch on the violence in this movie. It is in my opinion the most violent installment in this trilogy, there is a lot of crime shown and a lot of brutal fighting, but I think any kid 12 years and over should be fine with it. (Batman Begins: Introduction The Dark Knight: Most dramatic, most depressing, The Dark Knight Rises: Most brutal). Throughout the movie you can feel how this is the ending, it all ends here. Expand
  59. Dec 19, 2012
    I have no idea how so many people like this drag of a movie, there will little to none character development , there so much cliche stuff it was sadly predictable, the actions scenes were badly choreographed. there was NO chemistry between the actors. I love Nolan but this was just a waste, full of disjointed plot lines and lack of cohesion.
  60. Dec 19, 2012
    The movie is good. It's not a classic, but it's a well rounded film. The Dark Knight, was unbelievably great. A classic, in fact, in my book. The problem, is it starts off slow, and the ending is by the far the best way to end a trilogy. Acting is great, but Heath Ledger will always be compared to Tom Hardy. Simply, Ledger was the b etter villian. A great movie. Sometimes, I was little bored, but only for a few minutes. Expand
  61. Dec 18, 2012
    The third film in the new trilogy of modern Batman loses mainly in verisimilitude in scenes that take clear sense of lack of creativity. Factor last quoted it is clear that the new design of Catwoman, as well as meeting all the villains alive the previous two chapters. Despite being cited as the last film of the hero, it is certain that closed the meeting Bale / Nolan, but opens the door for new directors and writers to create new angles of this fabulous saga. Expand
  62. Dec 17, 2012
    Even though I am not a huge Batman fan by any means, I could tell this was a disappointing end. It strayed too far away from its hugely bigger and better, The Dark Knight. As a movie by itself, It is good...but it didn't capture the unique quality that made its predecessor far superior. It had an unnecessary complicated plot and felt rushed. This movie is not the height of the series, but it still well made(for the most part anyway). Expand
  63. Dec 17, 2012
    Not so impressive like its predecessor, but this one is worth to buy: Every stage of the film is good, a good, tragic ending for batman and the rise of the Robin, and the hero is not only batman, but the hero will rise when it comes to its age. That's what the dark knight wants, what our hero will continue ...
  64. Dec 17, 2012
    A quality ending to a truly superb trilogy! Chris Nolan has yet again amazed audiences with a cavalcade of stunning visuals combined with the action packed, suspense filled final installment that was to be expected. The heights of The Dark Knight were difficult to reach and yet this story creates a more complete and fulfilling film as all characters are thoroughly involved within the main plot whilst simultaneously battling their own demons and developing as the 165 minutes come to a satisfying close. Credit must surely go to Tom Hardy for a chilling performance (much from the unique voice) and unfortunately an undeserved, quick demise. It was bound to be a difficult job to take over as villain after Heath Ledger and yet it works on an entirely different level. The Joker was feared due to his disturbed individuality and chaos induced life but Bane is feared for his organization and overwhelming force using all the utilities at hand. Overall nothing particularly let the film down and it easily is the best film of the year in my opinion. It's only stigma was following the critically acclaimed TDK and with the occasional cliche it unfortunately lacked the punch that Nolan had achieved in his previous stand alone masterpiece. It tied beautifully with Begins and has now taken over as my favourite trilogy of all time. Thank you Chris Nolan. Expand
  65. Dec 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. O melhor filme de 2012 até agora,o Nolan não teve medo de seguir em frente mesmo com o desafio de fazer um filme sem o coriga,o Bane caiu muito bem como novo vilão e a idéia de destruição de Gotham foi ótima agora o ponto forte do filme foi sim a ressurreição do Batman. Expand
  66. Dec 10, 2012
    "The Dark Knight Rises" ends the trilogy with a bang, though it might not live up to the greatness of the "Dark Knight". A complex, captivating, and thrilling experience.
  67. Dec 9, 2012
    I tried really hard to enjoy this movie but it just made no sense to me. Even though it was almost three hours long, I found that each scene was so gawdy and finely cut together that I could barely follow what was going on. Instead of meaningful dialogue it seemed to be one overconfident cliche after another. I can't really say I'm a huge fan of superhero or comic book stories but I do enjoy well written science fiction. Sadly, this is not. The writers should have taken a little more time to make sure and not offend intelligent viewers with such ridiculous moments as "oh my vertebrae is sticking out of my back, can you kick it back in for me?" - let's get real. If you want us to have sympathy and genuine concern for the heroes, they have to first be human. Collapse
  68. Dec 9, 2012
    Very dark as always, with a foreboding, apocalyptic feel about it. These Nolan films are intense. Good amounts of character development as always but at the expense of more action. For me Batman Begins was the only Nolan film that struck the right balance, especially with that truly epic ending on the train. This film just didn't climax for me. And Bale's Batman voice still bothers me. Give me Batman Returns any day. There I said it. Expand
  69. Dec 8, 2012
    Not the best Nolan Batman film, due to a short-winded, scatter-brained feel with some of the movie. But an emotional ride putting the want to live into Batman again.
  70. Dec 8, 2012
    I finally saw The Dark Knight Rises on my laptop, and the only regret I have is that I didn't get to see it in a cinema! It is so epic and intense, especially the scenes with Bane... This villain has such magnetism, Tom Hardy has done a very, very good job portraying this new villain.
    However, I can't put 10/10 because of Marion Cotillard. Even though I'm French, I find her so annoying,
    she doesn't put enough soul in such an important character! Casting any other good-looking actress would have been a better option... Expand
  71. Dec 7, 2012
    I was rather surprised to see a Christopher Nolan Film full of plot holes, a horrible and uninspired story, ridiculous one liners that make you facepalm, uninteresting and bland characters, bad action scenes, some pretty bad camera work and most importantly, really really bad directing work. It seems like this film was whipped up as quickly and cheaply as possible, just to squeeze some more cash out of the batman franchise. I was completely surprised to see how bad this film was, seeing that the first 2 films were excellent. Expand
  72. Dec 7, 2012
    This film has seemed a lot better than the previous film.
  73. Dec 6, 2012
    There is nothing wrong with liking or loving a movie. And this does not change if that movie is critically amazing or horrible.

So love TDKR, but any critical and intelligence observation of TDKR will turn up that it fails on almost every level at be coherent, believable, and just all-round good. It has far to many faults for me to even start to outline them here, and others have
    already done this far better that I ever could. So all I will say is that it is an absolutely horrible film that manages to ruin everything that it had going for itself. What makes this so unbelievable and unforgivable is that the previous titles in the series were instant classics, and some of the best films of the last ten years.

Any review of this film over a 50% is undoubtedly either paid for (or other wise biased against the critics judgement) . Or was not actually written by a film critic, but simply a writer (paid or otherwise) to write a review (without any skill at actually critiquing a film).
  74. Dec 6, 2012
    Every scene in this movie looks and feels awkward.The characters are lifeless, bloodless - and what exactly is the plot ? There is not an ounce of humor in the entire movie. The villain and his ridiculous mask, Christian Bale again as a complete miscast, Anne Hathaway's awful acting, Michael Caine's annoying accent, all that makes for an experience you want to forget about.
  75. Dec 5, 2012
    One of the most disappointing films of the year. In my opinion, Rises is the weakest of the Dark Knight Trilogy; it didn't even feel like it belonged in the same trilogy...(Full Review Later)...
  76. Dec 4, 2012
    Tom Hardy was amazing as Bane and I really enjoyed the dynamic that this new villain brought. Unfortunately, that was the only part that wowed me. The plot was ridden with goofs and errors and that's where it lost me a bit. Also, Philadelphia does not work as Gotham the way Chicago did. A for effort Nolan, but C for execution.
  77. Dec 2, 2012
    I loved this film! The gadgets and fights were brilliant. However, I found a few holes in the story line. Not much to worry about since I really loved it and can't wait to watch it again.
  78. Nov 30, 2012
    3 words: Epic! Epic!! Epic!!!

Nolan never disappoints. TDK rises is an example of Nolan's style of direction, story writing, etc. This movie is indeed a epic conclusion to TDK trilogy. The acting was great, and the actors were also great. Flawless action, and suspense. The movie keeps you hanging there for the entire 2h 45min. The first hour was kinda slow. However it was worth it,
    because the new characters, and their plans were introduced in this sequence. The second hour was again slow, and imo this was the weak point of the film. There were a lot of boring scenes, such as Batman's capture. It was kinda boring. HOWEVER you won't believe it. At first glance I thought this was going to be crap due to the slow start, and middle, but I was so wrong. The climax, or the last hour of the film was unbelievable. I was left speechless. There were at least 3-5 plot twists. Some of them were predictable, however I was blown away with the final plot twist. It was totally unpredictable, imo. The climax made up for all the slow parts. I believe the conclusion was satisfying, and filled with a lot of suspense, and plot twists. Overall rating: 9/10

This movie was not as good as TDK (10/10) because TDK literally was perfect, imo. It had no slow parts, and no boring parts. Everything was perfect. On the other hand, TDK rises was a near-perfect movie. If it weren't for the slow parts then this movie would've been 11/10! No joke. Final words: Very pleased, and it exceeded my sky high expectations.
  79. Nov 30, 2012
    Boo Ya what an epic movie and what phenomenal way to end the dark knight trilogy.The story kept me on the edge of my seat for the whole 164 minutes.The action sequences was done perfectly.The story line was epic,the acting for every actor and actresses was done extremely well.Christopher Nolan does a phenomenel job directing this film. Every Batman movie directed was phenomenal and no wonder the films was a worldwide phenomenel.Unlike other films which had trilogy's and failed for example spider man 1,2 and 3 which truly sucked.But the dark knight trilogy's was the best epic and awesome.This time I did not read the other reviews posted by other users.Until I finished watching the film.And I'm glad to say I truly enjoyed this film.The dark knight rises is one of the best films I have ever seen. Expand
  80. Nov 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Dark Knight Rises is absolutely amazing and, in my opinion, the movie of the year. Yes, that means I thought it was even better than The Avengers which, in and of itself was also incredible. Batman Begins is still my favorite superhero movie of all-time but this film matchs The Dark Knight if not surpassing it by a hair. I'm big on plot and character development so that's the only potential negative I can give the first Dark Knight. It felt more like an action based movie and got away a bit from the development of the Bruce Wayne character. Well, this movie returns to furthering the development of the protagonist to a very in-depth level. Of course it also had the amazing plot development, action sequences, and dark realism of the first two that made this trilogy as a whole the best set of films in superhero history.

I'm not going to lie, I had some concerns about this movie going in. The first concern was the selection of Tom Hardy and Anne Hathaway as Bane and Selena Kyle/Catwoman, respectively. Well, just like Heath Ledger, these surprising selections turned out to be perfect for how the characters were portrayed. As villains go, Heath Ledger's Joker is still the best villain in cinema history as far as I'm concerned but Tom Hardy's Bane comes incredibly close. The only negative I would say here is that there were a few scattered moments where his dialogue was fairly difficult to understand. I think they could've cleaned that up a bit more. Now Catwoman, WOW! I thought Anne Hathaway did an absolutely amazing job here. I honestly think she was by far the best catwoman yet and I don't think she could've done a better job. Kudos to Christopher Nolan once more for seeing what so many other people couldn't.

As I said before, the action sequences were stunning as usual. There's nothing new there. One thing I will say that I loved, as with the first two, is how realistic they manage to keep a lot of the fighting and action scenes. Along with the overall darker tone, the realism has really made this series more enjoyable than ever. The ultimate judge for this movie, though, is how well the plot unravels before your eyes. The first two movies each had pretty intriguing twists and turns that were somewhat unexpected but they don't touch this one in that regard. The discoveries of the Talia al Ghul and Robin characters, Bane's origin and purpose, Catwoman's development (in addition to Batman's as mentioned prior), and all of the tie-ins that round out the trilogy were incredible. Plus, the way the ending unfolds in truly remarkable and writing it here just wouldn't do it justice. I will say this though; I can't wait for the next one, if and when they make it :)
  81. Nov 28, 2012
    Although it is not as cleanly compressed together as its ancestors, Christopher Nolan's conclusion to his - now pristine - Batman trilogy still remains a sweeping, emotional, and completely endearing master work of modern cinema.
  82. Nov 27, 2012
    Other than being a bit of a downer, I don't have much to complain about with the new batman movie. Christian Bale's voice was messed up as usual, and Bane's voice bothered me slightly at first, but aside from that the movie was quite enjoyable. The Imax scenes were crisp and clear, almost looking 3D with the way it was filmed, even though I watched the 2D version. Acting was superb on all counts, save maybe for that of Matthew Modine, who was horrible as usual. Very satisfying ending. Nolan is a genius. Expand
  83. Nov 22, 2012
    Perhaps the one thing that makes this movie stand out above the previous two Nolan installations is its ability to not only keep the audience on the edge of their seat, but to compel them into investing all of their emotion into the characters. Because the previous movies set up the characters so graciously, it is easier to understand the characters' motivations and become more involved in the situations being introduced. The cast is directed beautifully with particularly strong performances from Michael Caine and Tom Hardy. Admittedly, Bane is slightly less captivating than Ledger's masterful performance as the Joker, although he becomes a menacing enough villain to feel fitting as Batman's final challenge. The script never fails even in its weakest moments and will be sure to make spines shudder and tears shed for the more dedicated fans. The real backbone to the whole project is Christopher Nolan's ability to wrap everything he puts on screen into one of the most powerful action climaxes in history. This reinforces the Nolan Batman Trilogy's reputation as one of the most significant reboots in recent memory as well as a true cinematic triumph. Expand
  84. Nov 19, 2012
    This movie was a pretty big disappointment, especially for those hoping that a sequel to The Dark Knight would be just as good as that movie was. Most of the acting & story was extremely predictable & unexciting, most of the movie was just extremely bland which caused me to walk out about two and a half hours in to the movie the first time & the second time when I sat through the whole thing it wasn't any better, not even the ending. Honestly, the Mtn Dew flavor for this movie was 50 times better than the movie itself. Expand
  85. Nov 19, 2012
    Another story that casts it's main character as an old cripple who overcomes that adversity to save the day....does this sound like the plot to skyfall for anyone??? Both Skyfall and TDKR have gone along this plot line and for me has served up an half assed, poorly exectuted plot and movie as a whole. With that said there were some excellent performaces in this movie with Tom Hardy doing a sterling job with Bane, even if his demise in the movie is sudden and dissapointing. It was almost like the screen writers had had enough of him and couldn't think of how to effetively write him out the movie. Back to performances; Joseph Gordon-Levitt provides a believable and likable performance which has thankfully been well written to enable the audience to understand and warm to his new role.

A poorly written but watchable movie which is made better by the cast performances.
  86. Nov 17, 2012
    Even if there are some elements which make this movie worse than it's predecessor (the near-perfection and a really REALLY complex plot disappeared), the acting and action are spectacular, and we can finally see a development in most of the characters, while in TDK most of the characters have no developments, and the soundtrack is better and more enjoyable than the first two films.
  87. Nov 17, 2012
    I've spent years waiting for the third film in the Dark Knight trilogy to open, and then spent 2 and a half hours waiting for it to end. Sluggish, laborious and predictable, Nolan's third Batman film is a decent film but an extreme disservice to the stellar franchise he started.
  88. Nov 14, 2012
    It's no Dark Knight, but the Dark Knight Rises is definitely a satisfying conclusion to Nolan's trilogy. The characters aren't as memorable, but the cinematography and score are both fantastic and the whole thing holds an epic air about it that really works.
  89. Nov 12, 2012
    Great way to end the trilogy. Amazing first 90 minutes of the movie, with a great villain and great setup. And even though last act is little bit weak (deaths of villains are VERY underwhelming), overall, a great conclusions to the trilogy.
  90. Nov 11, 2012
    I found this a very enjoyable movie and fitting ending to the trilogy. Despite the slow start it soon starts picking up pace and keeps your attention til the very end.
  91. Nov 9, 2012
    They should have shown the experiment and surgery that Bane had in the movie to let the some viewers know who he was. But still, "The Dark Knight Rises" really rose up in the theater, and in the plot, the movie rose perfectly to the climax (where police was lining up to fight against the prisoners and the terrorists). And as usual, Christian Bale was great in the film.
  92. Nov 7, 2012
    There is a way to solve the problem of there currently being no plans for a "The Dark Knight Rises"--Blu-ray + DVD Combo With Limited Edition Bat-Cowl Display Case that would also include "The Dark Knight Reborn". "Reborn" is a documentary on the making of "The Dark Knight Trilogy". It seems that this documentary will only be available with "TDKRises"--Limited Edition Steelbook Best Buy Exclusive.

Obviously, most all of us true fans would much prefer to own the Bat-Cowl plus "Reborn", and not have pay for both the Steelbook and the Bat-Cowl just to have the coolest packaging along with the documentary. Also, I am sure that we all want to know what contents will be included in "The Dark Knight Trilogy"--Ultimate Collector's Edition Set, coming in the fall of 2013, before we decide to buy "TDKR" in December.

Since these products are manufactured by Warner Bros., please go to their website, bottom of page, "Help - Tell Us What You Think", take a survey and send them the following letter in the alloted text boxes. You may also go to the WBShop site, to the bottom of the page, find "Customer Service - Contact Us", and paste the same text into a message and send it to them. Feel free to write your own message, if you can. You may also print the following message and mail it to Warner Home Video, 4000 Warner Blvd., Burbank CA 91522. If enough of us participate, we may get the results that we deserve!

Dear Warner Bros. Home Video,

According to the BestBuy website, "The Dark Knight Rises"--Blu-ray + DVD Combo with Limited Edition Bat-Cowl Display Case will NOT include "The Dark Knight Reborn", which is a documentary on the making of "The Dark Knight Trilogy". So Far, "Reborn" will only be available with "The Dark Knight Rises"--Best Buy Exclusive Limited Edition Steelbook.

We the fans of the Trilogy and the loyal followers of you century's great roster of movies respectfully request that the Bat-Cowl Limited Edition be made to include the coveted "Dark Knight Reborn" Blu-ray Disc. While Steelbook packaging is cool, we many serious collectors will definitely much prefer to have the Bat-Cowl displayed on our shelves. But we do not wish to have to double-dip and buy both the Steelbook and Bat-Cowl, just to have the most prestigious packaging plus the documentary.

If it is too late in the manufacturing process to have the "Reborn" BDs inserted into the Bat-Cowl boxes, then they may attached to outside of the box within a simple cardboard sleeve or else distributed in limited quantities to the first-coming customers. I am confident that Warner Bros. Home Video can find of a way to resolve this problem.

Furthermore, please post the product details and box contents list for "The Dark Knight Trilogy"--Ultimate Collector's Edition Gift Set, which is purported to be released in early 2013, as soon as possible, hopefully before December 4th, which is when "Dark Knight Rises" will be released on Blu-ray and DVD. Doing so will enable us Batfans to decide on whether to acquire "TDKR" in December, or to wait for the Trilogy Ultimate Set.

If there are some other powers that be that we should instead be contacting in regards to these issues, please forward this message to them or else let us know their names, phone numb#rs and/or e-mail addresses.

Thank You So Much for hearing us!
    Sincerely,
    (type your name here)
  93. Nov 5, 2012
    When standing alone, The Dark Knight Rises is a masterpiece in the genre of action cinema. However, when advertised, it is suggested the film is the epic conclusion to the Batman saga, but in the end, the film does not wrap things up, it merely lays the foundation to a new film.
  94. Nov 5, 2012
    One of my favorite movie series of all time comes to a close in The Dark Knight rises. The third and final film in this Christopher Nolan saga does not disappoint, with exciting action sequences, new villains, and one of the most emotionally moving endings to a film I have ever seen. The movie may be a bit long and the story a little bloated. I personally feel that the movie was not as good as The Dark Knight but is still a fitting end to the trilogy. 9/10 Expand
  95. Oct 30, 2012
    Although it certainly does not match its predecessor, The Dark Knight Rises STILL gives a grand way of ending a great trilogy. Long live the Caped Crusader!
  96. Oct 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was awesome. Don't come in this movie expecting a Dark Knight 2 just as there wasn't a Batman Begins 2. These movies in this trilogy have complete different tones and directions. I would say if you enjoyed Batman Begins more than TDK you will most likely prefer this over BB. If you enjoyed the Dark Knight more than BB its a 50% chance you will like TDKR better. Acting: The acting was great and there was no one I didn't like Action: The best edited action sequences this time around

Score: The best score of the three; i like the blending of the old and new sounds. I loved that ghostly sound that you hear after the prologue and in the song 'Necessary Evil'

Story: This one had the best story and tone out of the three in my opinion. The tone of this movie was a mix of TDK and BB and worked well. Think of this movie as a action-thriller disaster movie. TDK was action-crime drama. BB was action-drama.

Don't listen to the people who claim there are abundance of plot holes in this movie

1) How is Batman on the ice?

Response: There is a certain part on the ice where it gets softer. The guards are standing on the ice as well because they aren't walking for enough to get to the soft part. 2) Talia's death was so fake

Response: I agree it was a little too much but she could have passed out after her body went into shock. Our body's do that as a defense mechanism. I think she passed out because you can live from that or you could die from that, so it can go either way. Your interpretation

3) Bane's death was bad

Response: Batman had already won that fight against Bane anyway until Talia stabbed him in the back. Now the only way to stop Bane is to kill him and thats not gonna be Batman thats gonna be Catwoman. Catwoman cannot fight Bane physically because she isn't as skilled as him so the batpod shot makes sense

4) Where was Batman?

Response: This movie was more of Bruce Wayne's story even when it was more focused on Bruce there was enough Batman to suffice and needed. After all they are the same person

5)How did Bruce get in Gotham?

Response: Bruce has been around the world a lot and knows his ways. He knows how to fly so he could have flew a small helicopter and parachuted in Gotham. If this movie explained it step by step this movie is going to run even longer, infer

6) You could have cut Selina's part out of TDKR

Response: No, she kinda brought Bruce back out in the world to remind him there are people out there still to play with. She had very sly humor and wit that eas a nice touch in this movie as a whole. They both found a clean slate. Together. 7) How can Bruce be with Selina after she has done everything to him?

Response: Even when he found out she was stealing his stuff you could tell he still liked her personality; that especially shows at the charity ball scene. Also when he says 'There's more to you than that', he sees more in her. You can tell Selina cared about him when she found out Bane was beating him up and when she said 'Come with me--save yourself...'

8) How is Bruce going to be with Miranda Tate out of the blue?

At the time he was at his most vulnerable. He just went bankrupt, Alfred is gone, and he has no one. So it makes sense.

I've seen this movie 6 times in the theatre and can't wait to see it more once I get my hands on the blu-ray copy.
  97. Oct 29, 2012
    This is by far the best comic book movie ever made. TDKR deserves every award it gets acting was amazing action was amazing the ending to this trilogy probably makes it the best trilogy of all time. The best movie of the year in four words TDKR
  98. Oct 26, 2012
    In some ways, I think TDKR does top its predecessors. Overall, it is a satisfying conclusion, and I really liked it besides some minor things. 1. I didn't like John Blake being Robin...director Christopher Nolan got Bruce Wayne/Batman's origin story so correct in Batman Begins, the fact the "Robin" was just some cop kind of bugs me. This is my main complaint.

2. Bane's voice was OK, but
    there were parts when I couldn't understand what he was saying due to background noise or loud music. 3. Catwoman's outfit....I just wanted to see some claws, a whip, and a cowl! Expand
  99. Oct 24, 2012
    Nolan done it again. TDKR is a triumph, held down by some minor niggles. Surprisingly, despite my initial negative view of Anne Hathaway as catwoman, I felt that Hathaway has done a terrific job being catwoman and really, this is her sexiest role yet. However, her screentime was a tad lacking and to be honest, her contribution to the actual plot is minor if not unecessary if taking a harsh stance. The brilliant plot, great combination of soundtrack and visual enticements as well as brilliant acting retains the excellent Nolan formula that everyone would enjoy. The fight scenes are genuine not cliche' or death-defyingly unrealistic. The twists in the film will get you, no matter how hard you think each time. And throw in a controversial, highly debatable, ambiguous-as-hell ending for good effect (as always). The chemistry just works and really does prove Nolan's prowess as a director and writer. Dont get me wrong, the movie's not perfect. There are so many plot elements there that can be debated for and many characters actually go against the batman canon (watch for the twist near the end. For avid batman fanboys out there and those who's played Batman: Arkham City, you'll be cutting yourself). Is this better than the Dark Knight? No, not really. Is it worse? No, definitely not. Sure Heath Ledger's joker was a sensation, take that away and apart from some thrills, the 2nd movie is definitely sub-par to TDKR by a cat's whisker. Ultimately, it does have some neglible flaws that you probably wont care if you're just watching the movie for fun. If you're a deep thinker and adopted an 'Inception'-esque mindset to the film, you will find many discrepancies in the plot flow. My money for Nolan's best film is still Inception but TDKR is without question THE best action/superhero film of the year. Sorry, Avengers. While I enjoy Avengers (a LOT to be honest), TDKR just tops the comedy-action formula the Avengers had and introduced the standard Nolan-excellence that we have all witnessed before. An intelligent film with class, brilliant execution and acting definitely tops an all-out action film reliant on CG-sequences/witty dialogue/a truckload of top-end, expensive Hollywood stars. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.