The Dark Knight Rises

8.2

1. Jul 29, 2016
    There are some films that just are not worthy of discussion. I'm sad to say this is one. As much effort as was taken to try and legitimize Batman as a cinema icon on par with James bond, The Dark Knight Rises sets the franchise back significantly. The script for this film is a train wreck of epic proportions, from major gaps in continuity to grand mal exposition. One scene epitomizes theThere are some films that just are not worthy of discussion. I'm sad to say this is one. As much effort as was taken to try and legitimize Batman as a cinema icon on par with James bond, The Dark Knight Rises sets the franchise back significantly. The script for this film is a train wreck of epic proportions, from major gaps in continuity to grand mal exposition. One scene epitomizes the insipidity of this film, the scene in which Bruce Wayne unveils his fusion reactor. He explains that he didn't want to give this boon to mankind because it could be turned into a weapon.

Wow.

Any high school history or science student could tell you that the hydrogen bomb of the mid 20th century was weaponized nuclear fusion.

Wow.

Like I said, some films are just not worthy of discussion. Skip this one, the actors look bored, the direction is flabby, the dialogue is overwrought and it's a waste of words and a waste of your money and a colossal waste of time.

2. Jul 26, 2016
    I'm not sure about this portrayal of bane, although well acted, he falls a little short of mark for me. (Although he is still leagues ahead of other on screen banes so far) The film was a bit slow, but over all I think we can forgive it for not reaching the same heights as the Dark Knight.
  3. Jul 22, 2016
    The Dark Knight Rises is the best conclusion to any superhero series out there. Its also just a really damn good movie. I still like The Dark Knight slightly more, but damn is it ever close. What I love most about The Dark Knight Rises is how ambitious it is; with its over the top action set pieces - but the great thing is Nolan pulls them all off perfectly. Thanks to the use of practicalThe Dark Knight Rises is the best conclusion to any superhero series out there. Its also just a really damn good movie. I still like The Dark Knight slightly more, but damn is it ever close. What I love most about The Dark Knight Rises is how ambitious it is; with its over the top action set pieces - but the great thing is Nolan pulls them all off perfectly. Thanks to the use of practical effects, the crashing plane for example is astounding to watch on screen. But its also the writing, the casting, the performances, and the music that sets the bar so high. The Dark Knight Rises does the first two films justice thus creating the best superhero trilogy of all time. Expand
  4. Jul 22, 2016
    The Dark Knight Rises is a great way to end the franchise on a high note! Christopher Nolan has done an incredible job bringing the characters to life and truly keeping my eyes on the screen. The movie is one to be watched over and over again, whether it was Christian Bale's performance that brought Batman to life or the practical effects and multiple locations and a wide range of sets theThe Dark Knight Rises is a great way to end the franchise on a high note! Christopher Nolan has done an incredible job bringing the characters to life and truly keeping my eyes on the screen. The movie is one to be watched over and over again, whether it was Christian Bale's performance that brought Batman to life or the practical effects and multiple locations and a wide range of sets the crew defiantly met my expectations. Tom Hardy's performance was truly frightening and made the character feel real. The movie is beautiful and the story is gripping alongside an incredible cast makes this movie one of my favorite movies of all time, and it is sad that I wont see anymore Batman films from Christopher Nolan because this was amazing! I highly recommend that you watch it as soon as possible! Expand
  5. Jul 2, 2016
    The Dark Knight Rises isn't as good as the Dark Knight, but it is still a great comic book movie nonetheless. Nolan once again delivers us with a spectacular plot and breathtaking fight scenes. The characters were amazing as well, from Batman and Catwoman to Gordon and Blake. This movie is a satisfying ending to one of the greatest movie trilogies ever.
  6. Jun 23, 2016
    I still haven't seen The Dark Knight, which is considered to be one of the best superhero films of all time, but as far as things go, this film is easily one of the best I've seen.

Christopher Nolan has a knack for directing these sequences, the award-winning Hans Zimmer's amazing compositions really allowed me to immerse myself within this amazing film. Constant yet controlled periods of high adrenaline tension within the music combined with the cinematography kept me at the edge of my seat.

Okay, so some choreography was off but despite this I enjoyed watching every minute of this film and you don't need to read the comics to get a decent understanding of this film. That's an incredibly difficult task for directors, as they need please people who don't know the story that well as please the dedicated fans that know everything about the background of the characters. A balance to please both sets of fans to the best of his ability. For me, the cast was perfect and this film is pretty much nearly perfect. Might as well give it 10 out of 10 for the benefit of doubt!
  7. Jun 7, 2016
    The Dark Knight Rise is a brilliant peace of film, its not just a superhero film but a dark and meaningful movie. With Tom Hardy ,Bale, and Christopher Nolan at he helm this is a perfect ending for The Dark Knight Trilogy!
  8. Jun 1, 2016
    The Dark Knight series has elevated the comic book genre. Best set of comic book movies. The Dark Knight Rises is thrilling, emotional, suspenseful, dramatic and is so fantastic. Chris Nolan and Christian Bale have definitely left their mark on the Batman franchise.
  9. May 25, 2016
    While it's clearly not as superlative as its famous predecessor, it's simply because of both Heath Ledger's outstanding and Oscar-winning performance, and the character of the Joker's etching in our collective unconscious as the greatest comic-book villain ever created (with Lex Luthor a very distant second place). This is still a masterwork, and is an excellent coda to the finest filmicWhile it's clearly not as superlative as its famous predecessor, it's simply because of both Heath Ledger's outstanding and Oscar-winning performance, and the character of the Joker's etching in our collective unconscious as the greatest comic-book villain ever created (with Lex Luthor a very distant second place). This is still a masterwork, and is an excellent coda to the finest filmic trilogy ever made. As great as Christopher Nolan is as a director, and as fine a film as 'Interstellar' is, I really don't know if he'll ever be able to top his work here, on these three films. But I, for one, am certainly looking forward to finding out... Expand
  10. May 24, 2016
    Who: Christian Bale, God, Tom Hansen, Princess Diaries, and Mad Max as "I was booooorn in the dark"
    What: The epic conclusion to what is and what always will be DC's greatest trilogy
    Where: Gotham City, then the bottom of a hole, then Gotham City again When (Can I watch again): When you want to watch a sequel that isn't as good as it's predecessor Why: Though this is a must watch, it
    Where: Gotham City, then the bottom of a hole, then Gotham City again
    Why: Though this is a must watch, it seems to fall a tad short of the perfect conclusion that could have been
  11. May 18, 2016
    The Dark Knight Rises is the sequel to the 2008 film, The Dark Knight, and is the third and final installment in the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy.

Christian Bale is back as Batman, and he is still as good playing the character as he ever was before. His performance still feels as if Bruce Wayne/Batman is a real person. Main villain Bane, played by Tom Hardy is also fantastic in

Main villain Bane, played by Tom Hardy is also fantastic in the movie. It's a very unique addition to the trilogy because this is the first time you can tell that Batman is questioning whether or not he will win the fight against him, because he's such a powerful figure. The opening sequence alone featuring Bane is fantastic complete with visually miraculous visual effects.

That's another thing this movie does, have awesome special effects/visual effects that are stunning to stare at. The Dark Knight Rises' effects work is truly some of the best visual effects work in a Batman movie to date.

The character introduction to Joseph Gordon Levitt's character did feel forced to me, and I didn't think it worked out as much.

The Dark Knight Rises isn't as good as The Dark Knight, but it truly is a fantastic Batman movie.
  12. May 7, 2016
    The Dark Knight Rises does what has to be done for the conclusion of a trilogy. It raises the stakes and gives our titular hero his biggest and most dangerous foe yet. And the result is a suitably grim yet epic finale filled with exciting, heart pounding action and incredible cinematic moments. It's a really great comic book movie.
  13. May 4, 2016
    Christopher Nolan has done it again with his Dark Knight trilogy! The Dark Knight Rises is a great sequel to an outstanding franchise -- maybe one of the best out there. The menacing portrayal of Bane was a key factor to making this film such a success. Tom Hardy, a great actor in general, really provided his character with a lot of intimidation which payed in the end as I was intimidatedChristopher Nolan has done it again with his Dark Knight trilogy! The Dark Knight Rises is a great sequel to an outstanding franchise -- maybe one of the best out there. The menacing portrayal of Bane was a key factor to making this film such a success. Tom Hardy, a great actor in general, really provided his character with a lot of intimidation which payed in the end as I was intimidated myself. Hans Zimmer score was phenominal -- as usual. The writing was great as the storyline eliminates the fact that this is a Batman movie and creates a more compelling and realistic masterpiece.

This was great ending to an outstanding franchise and should be considered as one of the best!

Rating: 9/10

D = 1.5
    D- = 1
    F = 0
  14. Apr 18, 2016
    Some people massively exaggarate plot holes in films,but this one was a fantastic conclusion to one of the greatest trilogies ever made in my opinion!
  15. Apr 17, 2016
    "The Dark Knight Rises" is a brilliant summer blockbuster that succeeds responding its massive hype by gloriously ending The Dark Knight Trilogy. Despite some stretched-out plot holes and cliches the movie's story-line is tight and packed with visual eye candy, stuff that you gotta watch in IMAX. Most of the actors from "Inception" are brought down into the film and they boast solid"The Dark Knight Rises" is a brilliant summer blockbuster that succeeds responding its massive hype by gloriously ending The Dark Knight Trilogy. Despite some stretched-out plot holes and cliches the movie's story-line is tight and packed with visual eye candy, stuff that you gotta watch in IMAX. Most of the actors from "Inception" are brought down into the film and they boast solid performances. The tone of the movie isn't as dark as "The Dark Knight", but it still is mature and realistic (in a sense...). However what Christopher Nolan hit dead right was, in my opinion. the ending. I won't spoil anything but I can say that the ending is very refreshing and interesting; it's different from the usual linear endings brainless Hollywood blockbuster directors/producers think of. Long story short, WATCH IT. It's not quite the same level as of "The Dark Knight", but it has big scope visual eye-pleasers as well as a somewhat sensational and wise ending; a finishing touch for director Nolan's epic trilogy of the lonesome dark knight. Expand
  16. Mar 30, 2016
    WHAT I LIKED: The Batman story concludes, this time it's even more epic, Nolan engaging us with a higher-stakes story, as well as continuing the deep and themeic beats of it's predecessor. Improved cohesive writing and a more established tone make for a film that fits and flows much better too. What's more, the whole final action sequence will have you gripped on the edge of year seat. AllWHAT I LIKED: The Batman story concludes, this time it's even more epic, Nolan engaging us with a higher-stakes story, as well as continuing the deep and themeic beats of it's predecessor. Improved cohesive writing and a more established tone make for a film that fits and flows much better too. What's more, the whole final action sequence will have you gripped on the edge of year seat. All the great things from this epic franchise amalgamate here, and the coming together had me close to tears. It's the grittiest, most engaging and well-balanced film in the trilogy. This'll make you think, but it also makes you feel something
    WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Does Nolan really have to go quite this far to explore the themes that he wants to? It's sure told better here than in 'The Dark Knight,' but the actual story makes even less sense than before. And whilst I complained before about sloppy storytelling, this actually gets extremely bogged down in the middle of it's expansive run-time.
    VERDICT: Batman goes full circle. 'The Dark Knight Rises' masterfully combines the best of the first's storytelling, and the second film's ideas. The result just could have been a bit more grounded. And shorter.
  17. Mar 26, 2016
  18. Mar 25, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'The Dark Knight Rises' is unfortunately the weakest movie in the Christopher Nolan 'Batman' trilogy. I say 'unfortunately' as I was expecting so much more, but as I soon discovered, the final film in the trilogy has very little Batman, too much of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and is way too long.

Bane is unrealistic as a villain, and Bruce Wayne spends most of his time in a dungeon with a broken back, while Joseph Gordon-Levitt patrols the streets of Gotham as detective Robin John Blake, who never actually becomes Robin. And it all builds up to a clever but unnecessary plot twist at the very end.

On the plus side, though, Anne Hathaway did a great job as Catwoman, and Michael Caine is brilliant as Alfred, no matter how little screen-time he gets.

Although it has its moments, in the end, 'The Dark Knight Rises' is just another over-the-top action movie, which is not the slightest bit as good as 'The Dark Knight'.
  19. Mar 25, 2016
    The Dark Knight Rises is the best movie of Christopher Nolan's trilogy, the best DC movie one of my favourite movies. This is one of the best series ever.
  20. Mar 23, 2016
    For most superhero franchises, the third movie is a trap. It's there that the Tim Burton/Joel Schumacher iteration of Batman started its rapid descent. It's there that the Christopher Reeve Superman saga had the wheels come off. It's there that Sam Raimi lost his way with Spider-Man. The list goes on. Movie #3, at least when it comes to a comic-book inspired series, is often one too many,For most superhero franchises, the third movie is a trap. It's there that the Tim Burton/Joel Schumacher iteration of Batman started its rapid descent. It's there that the Christopher Reeve Superman saga had the wheels come off. It's there that Sam Raimi lost his way with Spider-Man. The list goes on. Movie #3, at least when it comes to a comic-book inspired series, is often one too many, the result of greed not creative necessity. It's a little different with Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight trilogy, because the second sequel, named The Dark Knight Rises, is also the last chapter. And not having to plan for a fourth installment affords the filmmaker an extraordinary opportunity: the ability to conclude a superhero saga. That's something we really haven't seen before (although it kind-of, sort-of happened with X-Men). In fact, it's so rare that it could be argued that Nolan has ventured into virgin territory.

Nolan's decision to make The Dark Knight trilogy a self-contained series allows us to consider the previously unthinkable going in: Could Batman die? If there's a given in any superhero movie, it's that the title character will be around at the end credits. No spoilers here - I'm not going to reveal the Caped Crusader's fate - but the potential of his demise will be in many viewers' thoughts before they see the movie. And that's the genius of the way Nolan has sold and constructed his films. Never have the stakes been higher in a product of this genre.

There will probably never be a darker superhero series than what we have seen with Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises; these movies have forever altered the way viewers see superhero stories and the way filmmakers approach them. Before Batman Begins, there was a standard template that most superhero movies followed (some more closely than others). Batman Begins cracked the mold and The Dark Knight smashed it. Those weren't lightweight entertainment for popcorn-munching Saturday matinee viewers. They were deep, rich motion pictures - films that could proudly stand alongside any serious Oscar contender released in November or December (although, inexplicably, The Dark Knight was snubbed in the Best Picture category, with The Curious Case of Benjamin Button getting a nod instead). Now, makers of superhero movies are faced with a choice: either go huge like The Avengers or go serious like The Dark Knight. Nolan has helped render the traditional approach obsolete.

The Dark Knight Rises is the longest, darkest, and most ambitious of the three. In the final assessment, it must be acknowledged that Nolan has perhaps overreached in trying to top The Dark Knight, yet this is by no means a failure. The structure is a little unwieldy, there's too much exposition and too little Batman, and one twist is transparent from the early going. The Dark Knight Rises ultimately justifies its length (in fact, a good argument could be made for a longer cut) and the last 45 minutes is nothing short of spectacular. From the point where the narrative takes a leap of faith, it never lets up.

Batman is more heroic, more flawed, and more conflicted than in either of the previous two movies. At times, he makes Hamlet look decisive. In the end, we get the character we yearn for, but a lot has to happen for the movie to get to that point. Jonathan Nolan admits to having been influenced by Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities when writing The Dark Knight Rises, but one line more than any other became the seed that germinated the final story. You don't have to wonder about it; it's referenced explicitly.

Ambiguous endings have become something of a Nolan trademark, and one can interpret The Dark Knight Rises' final few scenes to be more or less optimistic, depending on your personal inclination. This is nowhere near as maddening as the concluding image of Inception, but neither is the resolution as clear-cut as it might initially seem.

Having delivered his full Batman saga, Nolan can move onto other projects content that he told the story he wanted to and did it to the best of his ability. Of the three movies, The Dark Knight stands as the strongest. It is the most edgy and daring of the three. It allows fans to leave the theater satiated and a little dazed, and possibly wanting to see it again to catch everything they missed the first time. Yes, there are flaws, but The Dark Knight Rises gives this Batman trilogy a platform high atop the superhero pyramid from which it may never be dislodged.
  21. Mar 20, 2016

Fans of the Caped Crusader have a long wait before he makes his appearance and, when he finally arrives, he isn't what he used to be. A commentary on mortality, perhaps? It's not the only philosophizing Nolan does. As was true in the previous installments, he shows an obsession with sociology and the essence of human nature. When faced with the grimmest possible outcome, do people turn rabid? Or, as The Joker learned, is there something more enlightened buried deep within mankind? A lot of what happens during the course of The Dark Knight Rises hearkens back to Batman Begins not only in terms of thematic content but in terms of narrative thrust.

Having delivered his full Batman saga, Nolan can move onto other projects content that he told the story he wanted to and did it to the best of his ability. Of the three movies, The Dark Knight stands as the strongest. It is the most edgy and daring of the three and, like The Empire Strikes Back, it flies in the face of a common perception that middle chapter of a trilogy is the least rewarding. Looking at the finale, The Dark Knight Rises is no Return of the Jedi. It's a more complete package without an Ewok in sight. It allows fans to leave the theater satiated and a little dazed, and possibly wanting to see it again to catch everything they missed the first time. Yes, there are flaws, but The Dark Knight Rises gives this Batman trilogy a platform high atop the superhero pyramid from which it may never be dislodged.
  22. Mar 19, 2016
    The Dark Knight Rises is a massive letdown if you loved The Dark Knight, because Rises has none of the clever and exciting elements that made Dark Knight so entertaining. Firstly, Bane is a very disappointing villain, who dies very abruptly. Secondly, the story is not very well paced or acted. Thirdly, there are HEAPS of plot twists you could see from a mile away. Overall, Rises is aThe Dark Knight Rises is a massive letdown if you loved The Dark Knight, because Rises has none of the clever and exciting elements that made Dark Knight so entertaining. Firstly, Bane is a very disappointing villain, who dies very abruptly. Secondly, the story is not very well paced or acted. Thirdly, there are HEAPS of plot twists you could see from a mile away. Overall, Rises is a letdown and a dissapointing way to end the Dark Knight Trilogy. Expand
  23. Feb 22, 2016
    The dark knight rises is a stunning conclusion to one of the best movie trilogys of all time. While its not the best in the series, and has some story problems, it still remains a solid movie.
  24. Feb 21, 2016
    A piss poor end to a great Batman series of movies,the plot holes are huge and just ruins this movie and completely ruins Batman as all he does is moan and cry and acts like a complete moron through out the movie. Bane compared to the Joker,scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul is very bland hes a generic thug that beats up batman in a heavily choreographed fight, all you have to do is look up theA piss poor end to a great Batman series of movies,the plot holes are huge and just ruins this movie and completely ruins Batman as all he does is moan and cry and acts like a complete moron through out the movie. Bane compared to the Joker,scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul is very bland hes a generic thug that beats up batman in a heavily choreographed fight, all you have to do is look up the honest trailer of this film and you could call that my full review. Watch if you want but you might be horribly disappointed. Expand
  25. Feb 8, 2016
    "The Dark Knight Rises" was a somewhat flawed masterpiece that succeeded in response to the massive amount of hype it got when it was deemed as the end for the "Nolan-verse." The film does suffer from some stretched-out plot holes and clichés but the movie's story-line is tight and packed with enough action, drama, and emotion to keep you in your seat and glued. The performances were"The Dark Knight Rises" was a somewhat flawed masterpiece that succeeded in response to the massive amount of hype it got when it was deemed as the end for the "Nolan-verse." The film does suffer from some stretched-out plot holes and clichés but the movie's story-line is tight and packed with enough action, drama, and emotion to keep you in your seat and glued. The performances were great, I was thoroughly impressed with just how awesome Bane turned out to be in this movie. I was skeptical at first upon hearing Tom Hardy was going to play him but boy was I wrong, Hardy blew me away with a well acted and utterly terrifying portrayal of Bane as the muscled up criminal master-mind that he wasn't in Batman & Robin. However, I felt Bale's batman, despite his stellar performance, got progressively worse as this series went on. His Batman was awesome in Begins, somewhat average in Dark Knight, and I felt hit rock bottom in Rises. I get Nolan was going for a more realistic take on the Batverse but his Batman was almost nothing like he was in the comics or even in the acclaimed Arkham Games. His voice was awful, He relied too much on military grade technology, lacked the true detective and intelligence that Batman displays in the comics and was just ultimately a disappointing Batman when he was a great one in Begins. I'm digressing somewhat but I just felt he wasn't as good as Michael Keaton was in terms of live action Batman. In terms of the movie, its superb to where its on point with Dark Knight and will keep you on the edge of your seat. Expand
  26. Jan 17, 2016
    The Dark Knight Rises
    points based review:

Story: 8.0 (very good)
    Genre-Rating: 8.1 (very good)
    Effects, camera and performance: 8.7 (very good)
    Cast: 9.1 (awesome)

OVERALL RATING: 8.4 (very good)
  27. Jan 8, 2016
    Yet another visual blockbuster with action sequences that extend on forever. A masterpiece? Not really.

The main problem with this film is that it piles climax on top of climax to such a degree that one fully expects the film must be over at least two or three times before it actually ends--and by the time the final finale finally does arrive it is with a very anticlimactic little bang seen way off on the horizon. And this same pattern is repeated in regard to the film's primary villain. And in a "sub-plot" in which Bruce Wayne loses everything but never seems to be particularly inconvenienced by the fact. And in regard to Catwoman, who betrays Batman how many times? but is never really held accountable for it because what would be the point in that?

So, basically, it's a roller coaster ride. It goes on for two and a half hours. Don't think about it a lot and you might enjoy the ride. But whether you'll respect yourself in the morning is another question entirely.
  28. Jan 3, 2016
    The last in the trilogy is here and it still managed to show what it got to become the last good out of the three in the Batman trilogy. It's so close from it being a 6 though.
  29. Dec 26, 2015
    I found this movie to be fairly disappointing with sub-par writing. There are numerous glaring plots holes in this movie that just make no sense when closely analyzed.
  30. Nov 28, 2015
    First off, The original Dark Knight is one of my most favorite movies of all time of any genre. DC movies are lauded for being more "realistic" than other super hero movies but this movie left me shaking my head in too many ways. A group of terrorist thugs could really hold an entire city while the world's best trained military does nothing? An entire police force can get "trapped" inFirst off, The original Dark Knight is one of my most favorite movies of all time of any genre. DC movies are lauded for being more "realistic" than other super hero movies but this movie left me shaking my head in too many ways. A group of terrorist thugs could really hold an entire city while the world's best trained military does nothing? An entire police force can get "trapped" in the sewers? So I can fixed by slipped discs in my back by punching them back into place and climbing several stories weeks (months?) later? You can detonate a nuclear bomb a mile off shore without any negative affects and the pilot can easily survive? Other superhero movies don't claim to be realistic and The Dark Knight Rises shouldn't either. Overall an average movie, but what's with Bane's old-timey gold prospector voice? Expand
  31. Nov 22, 2015
    A lot of heavy things happening in an occasionally bloated film. It starts at a 7 for the first hour and drops to a 6 and maybe a 5 by the time the climax rolls around. It has great moments, but far too many. Bane is a cool villain, but wasn't complimentary to anyone else except to Batman. It has life in spurts and is incredible but then sometimes boring. It reaches an 8/10 by the final 15A lot of heavy things happening in an occasionally bloated film. It starts at a 7 for the first hour and drops to a 6 and maybe a 5 by the time the climax rolls around. It has great moments, but far too many. Bane is a cool villain, but wasn't complimentary to anyone else except to Batman. It has life in spurts and is incredible but then sometimes boring. It reaches an 8/10 by the final 15 minutes, where the movie reaches beyond it's blatant flaws, in the end the dark Knight rises. Expand
  32. Nov 2, 2015
    The Dark Knight Rises is a great movie which does a fantastic job in concluding the franchise. The best part about this movie is its characterization, particularly with Bruce Wayne and how he learns to be Batman once again.
  33. Sep 25, 2015
    Aside from some obvious weak points, this film presents a powerful and moving portraiture of Batman as a character. Frightful, dark, powerful, noble, enduring, human. What makes Batman in my opinion one of the most psychologically sincere and "realistic" superheroes.
  34. Sep 17, 2015
    On previous occasions I have judged this film more harshly than it deserves. After revisiting it, I realize that this is as good a conclusion as Christopher Nolan could have crafted for his masterful trilogy and is a worthy follow-up to "The Dark Knight". This film exhibits the same extraordinary craftsmanship that have set Nolan's Batman films apart from every other superhero film goingOn previous occasions I have judged this film more harshly than it deserves. After revisiting it, I realize that this is as good a conclusion as Christopher Nolan could have crafted for his masterful trilogy and is a worthy follow-up to "The Dark Knight". This film exhibits the same extraordinary craftsmanship that have set Nolan's Batman films apart from every other superhero film going and is certainly as ambitious and well-acted as its predecessors, even if its reach exceeds its grasp which is not, in itself, a dishonorable thing. Tom Hardy is the film's greatest asset - his turn as Bane may well prove to be as career-defining and iconic as Ledger's Joker. Gary Oldman is reliably excellent as Commissioner Gordon and Christian Bale is as good as he's ever been in the role of Batman. Perhaps the greatest failing of the trilogy was to introduce so many new characters in the final act, but there are no complaints to be had about the actors themselves. One only wishes we could have seen more of Joseph Gordon-Levitt or Marion Cotillard in the series. Ultimately, this is a solid conclusion and a fitting end to the trilogy and while it will not go down as Nolan's opus, I think it shall and should be regarded as one of the greatest superhero films of all time. Expand
  35. Sep 12, 2015
    I adored this movie and the whole series. It was a great way to go out and for the dark knight. The story was amazing. Every character came to life and the drama was fantastic. And I'll say it, the soundtrack was great.
  36. Sep 1, 2015
    Sorry, Nolan fans, but this one just doesn't hold up. And that surprises me, because The Dark Knight showed, beyond any reasonable doubt, that Chris had a true understanding of the filmmaking craft. By contrast, this feels shockingly amateurish. The characters never seem to have an expression outside "dull and mopey". Seriously, did anyone crack a smile once? Since when was super-seriousSorry, Nolan fans, but this one just doesn't hold up. And that surprises me, because The Dark Knight showed, beyond any reasonable doubt, that Chris had a true understanding of the filmmaking craft. By contrast, this feels shockingly amateurish. The characters never seem to have an expression outside "dull and mopey". Seriously, did anyone crack a smile once? Since when was super-serious the end-all for strong emotion? The dialogue is REALLY hammered, and not one line felt natural coming out of those actor's mouths. Maybe less boring philosophy and more subtlety would've helped. The plot is holier than a chain-link fence, and there are several story elements that just don't make sense. For example: Where the hell did the Batman-Marion Cotillard romance come from? It isn't built up, then all of a sudden they're banging. I get that Nolan wants to be big and important, but here, he was so focused on how important his movie was that he forgot to make it actually good. The one saving grace is Tom Hardy as Bane, who nails his intimidating presence to a T. Any scene he's in becomes tense and meaningful. The rest of the movie was bloated, unfocused, and ungodly boring. A real disappointment. Expand
  37. Aug 18, 2015
    Like Batman :Arkham Knight in the Arkham series, this is a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. CHRISTOPHER NOLAN ends the series on a high-note.BUY IT ON BLU-RAY.
  38. Yen
    Aug 2, 2015
    Ultimately, a let down. Bane was a great villain but the writing was weak and the pacing was off. Even for a super hero movie, I found it hard to suspend my disbelief. A disappointing end to what could have been a fantastic trilogy from my favorite director.
  39. Jul 28, 2015
    The Dark Knight Rises is a very fitting end to a beautiful trilogy. While the Bane portrayed is a rather strange spin-off, and Bale needs some work, the plot is wonderfully cast. The fight scenes, however, left me unimpressed.
  40. Jul 27, 2015
    This movie is just downright amazing and epic, Bane is one of the best villains I'v ever saw ( but isn't as great as Heath Ledger's Joker) . The plot is great, Catwoman is awesome, all the performances were great andThe last fight between Bats and Bane is the most bad-ass thing in the movie.
  41. Jun 26, 2015
    I really really treasure this movie! And I wish I could give it a ten, because it really is spectacular as a film and as a closure to a superb trilogy. This movie is everything I could have wanted. It was nearly a 10 and only one thing prevents it from that.
  42. Jun 26, 2015
    Great special effect ,good story ... classic Michael Bay yes you know what i mean. Good movie it is a lot long too so everything together is a 8/10 8/10 8/10
  43. Jun 25, 2015
    I loved this movie when I saw it in the theater. I liked Tom Hardy's Bane(certainly better than Batman & Robin), Anne Hathaway does a good job and Christian Bale gives a good performance when he's usually not in the Batman suit.
    It's been nearly 3 years and it's not as great as when I saw it in the theater, but it's a good finale to Nolan's trilogy.
  44. Jun 23, 2015
    I can't believe what a perfect sequel this is. This film is the perfect way to continue the events on The Dark Knight, and to present its own unique story without depending so much on the previous one, being again flawless and perfect, and having all the good things that made that one so interesting. The only thing I didn't like about this one so much was the villain. Don't get me wrong,I can't believe what a perfect sequel this is. This film is the perfect way to continue the events on The Dark Knight, and to present its own unique story without depending so much on the previous one, being again flawless and perfect, and having all the good things that made that one so interesting. The only thing I didn't like about this one so much was the villain. Don't get me wrong, Bane is one of the most perfect villains that have ever been on screen. It's just that being better than how the Joker was with Heath Ledger is almost impossible. Anyway, flawless movie. Expand
  45. Jun 21, 2015
    The Dark Knight Rises is a very good movie with a perfect casting, a good screenplay but less successful than The dark knight, which remains for me the best.
  46. Jun 7, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An epic rap up conclusion to The Dark Knight trilogy. Complete with action, plot twists, awesome fight scenes, the new and quotable and awesome Tom Hardy Bane, Catwoman played by Anne Hathaway giving an incredible and bad-ass performance, and the Dark Knight rising up above evil. You get to see not only one, but four Bane Tumblers, and The Bat. And at the end of the movie there will be a cliffhanger Easter egg that makes you forget about Batman, but want there to be a Robin spin-off movie. An absolute must see for all those fan boys who fell in love with the Dark Knight trilogy. Expand
  47. May 20, 2015
    What a steaming POS movie. 3 hrs of drudgery with no payoff. Cliche ridden, boring lifeless characters, Waste of 3 hrs of my life. I'm not the biggest Batman fan, but Batman begins was good, Dark night was so so, and this one was awful. Someone should have just shot Bane in the head. End of story.

Cute that they used Pittsburgh and NY as skylines. So many things wrong with this movie, I don't know where to begin. The other 0 ratings are spot on, so I won't repeat the plot holes and absurdity.
  48. May 17, 2015
    The epic end of The Dark Knight trilogy, despite the film being too long he's cool and engaging to the end, dark and realistic story, great action scenes, and great performance of the actors.
  49. May 6, 2015

50. May 3, 2015
    omg! Nolan! damn! perfect trilogy! absolutely perfect! what a beautiful finale! I love this series so much! so inspiring! it will be so hard for another film series of comic book or any film series to live up to this
  51. Apr 23, 2015

52. Apr 19, 2015
    Eight years after Batman disappeared, blamed for murder, Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) is a wounded recluse, but Gotham is vibrant — until masked maniac Bane (Tom Hardy) decides it’s high time to bring the city down. Facing this new threat and mysterious cat burglar Selina Kyle (Anne Hathaway), Wayne decides the Dark Knight must rise, once again.

As ever, Nolan’s Batman is at its best in

As ever, Nolan’s Batman is at its best in the more intimate moments — whether it’s a man finally realising a hero’s identity, or the scene- (and jewellery-) stealing introduction of a new character. As slinky burglar Selina Kyle, Anne Hathaway is superb: physically dangerous, emotionally intriguing and sexy without milking it. (It’s a very different take from the Catwoman portrayed by Michelle Pfeiffer, but no less enjoyable.) As ambiguous as Kyle is, her journey shares with Wayne’s a sense of struggling for a fresh start, for a clean slate, ultimately for redemption.

With spectacle in abundance and sexiness in (supporting) parts, this is superhero filmmaking on an unprecedented scale. Rises may lack the surprise of Begins or the anarchy of Knight, but it makes up for that in pure emotion. A fitting epitaph for the hero Gotham deserves.
  53. Apr 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As The Dark Knight Rises, so has anticipation. In 2005, when Christopher Nolan rebooted and resuited Batman, the cinematic reputation of the Caped Crusader was at a pitiful low after the gaudy debacle of The Film That Shall Not Be Named. Now, a short seven years later, Nolan could deliver the print of his trilogy topper in a chariot drawn by flame-breathing unicorns with diamond eyes and some people would still shrug and say, “Meh. It’s not as impressive as The Dark Knight.” In this — as within Rises itself — he could be said to be the victim of his own success. He raised the bar so high, no-one could be expected to clear it. Still, whether you believe this betters Begins or eclipses Knight, it is certainly a satisfying conclusion to what is now — we’re calling it — the best superhero series of all time.

As Gotham prospers in the wake of the criminal crackdown brought about by the death of District Attorney Harvey Dent — and his mythologising by Commissioner Gordon (Gary Oldman) — Wayne feels he can stay hidden in his mansion, a truculent Beast resisting being transformed by Marion Cotillard’s Beauty. Where his parents were active, engaged philanthropists, giving life to the city, Wayne nurses only his own grief. He walks with a stick as symbolic of his psychological frailty as his physical degeneration. Here, the film could be said to be going over old ground, but Wayne’s mental fissure has been mined in the comics for 73 years and it’s testament to Christian Bale’s stalwart, admirably unshowy but soulful performance that we once again feel for a man born to privilege but eternally trapped in a personal prison.

This is aided by a valedictory feel to the first act, with everything freighted with the knowledge of its finality and a sense that this will not end well. Caine is all heart in a beautiful recollection about his hopes for his surrogate son, while Joseph Gordon-Levitt — who looks supremely dashing despite a somewhat glamour-free role as a rozzer — also has a sorrow-fuelled speech, but with a more positive sense of belief to counter Bane’s destructive faith.

Then, when Batman finally returns, you relish the gleeful comment of a copper to a younger colleague: “Boy, you are in for a show tonight, son.” That you are, even if the film doesn’t, until the very end, match the emotional tenor of its blistering beginning. That 45 minutes or so can be called the ‘beginning’ gives a clue that Batman not only rises but lengthens. This is a long film that feels weighed down somewhat in its middle section, struggling to carry the weight of exposition. The desire for scale and belief-beggaring action also means that, curiously, what would be other movies’ budget-blitzing conclusions are reduced, in a way, to the level of mild incident. There is more plot here than there is story and as impressive as certain scenes are — the sporting spectacle seen in the trailer, for example — they can feel a little like a very expensive treadmill when you’re waiting for the emotions to really run.

54. Mar 30, 2015
    My personal favorite of the trilogy, this is a superhero movie elevated to an art form. The scale of everything has been stepped up and the stakes are higher than ever. Anne Hathaway surprised me with a great performance, and Tom Hardy's Bane has one of the most intimidating onscreen presences I've ever seen. The movie wraps up the trilogy nicely with a fantastic, moving ending.
  55. Mar 26, 2015
    9.5/10................................................................................................................................................
  56. Mar 14, 2015
    Huge in scale and has an admirable social consciousness. Thematically satisfying, beautifully shot as with the other films in the trilogy, and the decision of practical effects over CGI once again works out wonderfully. The ending is beautiful, and there are a few scenes with genuine emotion, but it slightly pales in comparison to its predecessor. It lacks the sheer force "The Dark Knight"Huge in scale and has an admirable social consciousness. Thematically satisfying, beautifully shot as with the other films in the trilogy, and the decision of practical effects over CGI once again works out wonderfully. The ending is beautiful, and there are a few scenes with genuine emotion, but it slightly pales in comparison to its predecessor. It lacks the sheer force "The Dark Knight" had, and the story is shakier. That said, the action scenes -- fighting choreography aside -- are excellent, the characters are compelling, and the film maintains your attention despite its long running time. "The Dark Knight Rises" is not a perfect conclusion to the trilogy, but it's a damn good one. Expand
  57. Mar 13, 2015
    Christopher Nolan's concluding vision of the legendary Caped Crusader may just possibly go down as one of the strongest closing chapter to any franchise in modern cinema. With it's top-notch performances, and action-packed set pieces, The Dark Knight Rises ends the franchise on a satisfying high note, delivering one of the most powerfully engrossing climaxes in recent memory.

The acting

The acting here, like in Nolan's other Batman flicks, is nothing short of phenomenal. Hardy, while not quite as memorable as Heath Ledger's Joker, gives the performance of his career as Bane. His haunting voice and intimidating muscular physique are only matched by his calmness toward the chaos he causes everywhere he strikes.

Although The Dark Knight Rises never truly reaches the same groundbreaking heights as its predecessor, I loved every minute of it. The fantastic storytelling, the gritty visuals, the brilliant character development. There's nothing here that isn't worthy of praise in my book. Nolan truly capped off his one-of-a-kind superhero trilogy in a way that no other director could've accomplished. Sure, the narrative can get a bit messy at times, but when compared to everything else, the film does right, it hardly matters. Honestly, I can't recommend this movie enough. For any fan of dark,gritty, action-packed filmmaking, this is an absolute must-see.
  58. Feb 5, 2015
    The Dark Knight Rises is a great conclusion to a great trilogy. While it never comes close to reaching the heights of its predecessor, it still manages to be a satisfying conclusion. There are a few plot holes here and there, and Tom Hardy's Bane just simply can't compare to Heath Ledger's Joker. Other than that, this is a great film filled with quotable dialog, gritty, no-nonsenseThe Dark Knight Rises is a great conclusion to a great trilogy. While it never comes close to reaching the heights of its predecessor, it still manages to be a satisfying conclusion. There are a few plot holes here and there, and Tom Hardy's Bane just simply can't compare to Heath Ledger's Joker. Other than that, this is a great film filled with quotable dialog, gritty, no-nonsense action, and a fantastic story behind it.

8.2/10
  59. Jan 30, 2015
    I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this 3rd instalment of the amazing Batman trilogy. I would have preferred a little less JGL and more Anne Hathaway, but Tom Hardy was perfect as Bane.
  60. Jan 22, 2015
    The Dark Knight Rises takes a big step back from the previous 2 instalments in terms of quality. I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for saying this but I personally think the Dark Knight Rises was unnecessary. The arc was completed at the end of the Dark Knight. Batman's story in the first 2 movies was a fully formed tragedy, similar to that of Hamlet. The Dark Knight Rises tried to goThe Dark Knight Rises takes a big step back from the previous 2 instalments in terms of quality. I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for saying this but I personally think the Dark Knight Rises was unnecessary. The arc was completed at the end of the Dark Knight. Batman's story in the first 2 movies was a fully formed tragedy, similar to that of Hamlet. The Dark Knight Rises tried to go full circle again to give Batman the sappy hollywood manufactured ending and it failed miserably. It recycled the ideas from Batman Begins and didn't bother with depth of any sort. Not only that but it often contradicts the Dark Knight. The plot is incoherent with a lot that just doesn't add up. The relationships Bruce shares with Cat woman and Talia Al Ghul made no sense. There was no on-screen chemistry. The exposition is unbearable, the dialogue is laughably bad at times and Bane is one of the most poorly written villains in recent memory. His motivations and intentions just don't add up. In fact his goals of freeing Gotham from the corrupt and blowing Gotham to hell, are virtually incompatible. He's not just an abstract villain. He just made no sense. And the entire confrontation between Bane and Batman is purely physical. This time even the obstacles Bruce has to overcome are physical injuries. And a physical threat is never as deadly as a physiological threat (that's what made the joker such a terrifying character). The bomb plot line is when the film really drifts back to conventionality. For the direction where these films were going, I'm immensely disappointed with what the Dark Knight Rises had to offer. It's a weak instalment in an otherwise superior trilogy. Had this been anywhere near as good as its predecessors, I would be heralding the Dark Knight Trilogy as one of the greatest movie trilogies ever made. Sadly it didn't meet the hype. Expand
  61. Jan 17, 2015
    Its a good movie. As always fantastic acting. I didn't like the story in this one that much. I don't know it didn't seem that worked out to me. The previous movie is still the best one in the trilogy.
  62. Jan 11, 2015
    The last movie in the Dark Knight trilogy this met my expectations. The Dark Knight is a tough act to follow but this one held its own and made for a exciting end to the trilogy. The action scenes keep you on the edge of your seat and Tom Hardy did a good job playing Bane. There are some plot holes and at one point in the middle of the movie it slows down and gets a little boring but itThe last movie in the Dark Knight trilogy this met my expectations. The Dark Knight is a tough act to follow but this one held its own and made for a exciting end to the trilogy. The action scenes keep you on the edge of your seat and Tom Hardy did a good job playing Bane. There are some plot holes and at one point in the middle of the movie it slows down and gets a little boring but it picks back up and has a strong ending. I believe many people an critics have underrated this movie. A good way to finish out Christopher Nolan's Batman series. I give it 8 out of 10 Expand
  63. Jan 11, 2015
    Yet another amazing Batman film that drags out of some parts but otherwise delivers amazing action sequences and spectacular special effects along with the new rival Bane. This film contains perhaps the best plot of the trilogy.
  64. Jan 8, 2015
    The Dark Knight Rises is a 2012 superhero film directed by Christopher Nolan, who co-wrote the screenplay with his brother Jonathan Nolan, and the story, with David S. Goyer. Featuring the DC Comics character Batman, the film is the final installment in Nolan's Batman film trilogy, and the sequel to Batman Begins (2005) and The Dark Knight (2008). Christian Bale reprises the lead role ofThe Dark Knight Rises is a 2012 superhero film directed by Christopher Nolan, who co-wrote the screenplay with his brother Jonathan Nolan, and the story, with David S. Goyer. Featuring the DC Comics character Batman, the film is the final installment in Nolan's Batman film trilogy, and the sequel to Batman Begins (2005) and The Dark Knight (2008). Christian Bale reprises the lead role of Bruce Wayne/Batman, with a returning cast of allies: Michael Caine as Alfred Pennyworth, Gary Oldman as James Gordon, and Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox. The film introduces Selina Kyle (Anne Hathaway), a sly, morally ambiguous cat burglar, and Bane (Tom Hardy), a mercenary bent on destroying Gotham City who forces an older Bruce Wayne to come out of retirement and become Batman again. Expand
  65. Jan 4, 2015
    This film is awesome, but it's previous film still beats it. It tries to be more epic (and is more epic) but comes with some gaping plot holes. Still a highly enjoyable movie nevertheless, but the 2nd film in the trilogy is the must see one. However, one reason to see this is to watch Tom Hardy's excellent performance of the muscle house that is Bane. He's big, he's intimidating, and heThis film is awesome, but it's previous film still beats it. It tries to be more epic (and is more epic) but comes with some gaping plot holes. Still a highly enjoyable movie nevertheless, but the 2nd film in the trilogy is the must see one. However, one reason to see this is to watch Tom Hardy's excellent performance of the muscle house that is Bane. He's big, he's intimidating, and he CAN break the bat. He doesn't beat Ledgers Joker but still puts on an excellent performance. This film is filled with the same great visual and practical effects as the previous and comes with what you expect from a Nolan film. Good film. Expand
  66. Dec 29, 2014
    This is the best superhero movie i have seen.This is a good way to end the dark knight trilogy. It builds up slowly from batman's return from The Dark Knight and progresses to a very strong climax and has an unpredictable ending. All the directors and cast should be given full credit to the film.
  67. Dec 26, 2014
    Simply a masterpiece I have never seen such a work of art this film I consider the pinnacle of modern cinema, one all should aspire too. Literally the greatest thing to happen to the motion pictures since silent era. Nolan is such a big guy he's this generations Kubrick and probably a better one at that, 11/10.
  68. Dec 24, 2014
    The Best finale. This is A tale of two cities film. It has inspirations of Batman No man's land, Knight fall, and The Dark knight returns. What's great about Nolan's films is that they makes you think. And this is his strong film.
  69. Dec 19, 2014
    The Dark Knight is one of the best movies I've seen, and I saw 3 TIMES The Dark Knight Rises one the movie theater, but I have to say, now that is on HBO, I can't tolarate even 3 minutes watching it, it is the most stupid super hero movie I ever seen... It sucks, but don't get me wrong, I would see it again on the theater even If I don't know why
  70. Nov 21, 2014
    While certainly not with its flaws, Nolan's conclusion to his superhero trilogy is a satisfying end to what is undoubtedly the best superhero saga to grace cinema screens. With an epic scope and scale, this is a fitting send-off for the silver screen's most endearing vigilante.
  71. Nov 10, 2014
    The Dark Knight Rises is an immensely satisfying conclusion to The Dark Knight trilogy even though it doesn't really match up to the heights of its predecessor.
  72. Oct 28, 2014
    Christopher Nolan’s 2012 action film The Dark Knight Rises, a trilogy from The Dark Knight shows the now notorious criminal known as batman coming out of hiding in the city of Gotham. Nolan has taken a different approach from the original Dc Comic made by Bob Kane and Bill Finger and twisted it to make a different path for the villain/hero “batman”. Christian Bale will give you a burningChristopher Nolan’s 2012 action film The Dark Knight Rises, a trilogy from The Dark Knight shows the now notorious criminal known as batman coming out of hiding in the city of Gotham. Nolan has taken a different approach from the original Dc Comic made by Bob Kane and Bill Finger and twisted it to make a different path for the villain/hero “batman”. Christian Bale will give you a burning sensation of excitement as he plays the role of batman and Bruce Wayne. The Dark Knight Rises begins with an older and crippled Bruce Wayne getting back on his feet to fight crime after being rejected by society by being called a villain. Christian Bale and Tom Hardy, the criminal Bane that makes himself know in Gotham City, have realistic tension on the screen that will have your blood boiling, eyes teary, and palms sweaty.

Nolan is a true visionary to depict such a great film. This movie is not your regular and dreary anticipated movie that everyone knows. It’s not that typical super hero story when the hero falls to the feet of the villain then triumphs and defeats the villain. Nolan took a different route and paved the road, he showed a super hero getting back on his feet while enduring the trial and tribulations to stand tall. Christian Bale plays an old charming and handsome Bruce that has shrouded from the limelight. Bruce has been missing for a while and no one had known his whereabouts. Christian Bales is a vital actor to this movie; because he brings the seriousness in Bruce you can see the worry in his eyes and the motivational sparkle. You can real feel a connection with Christian Bale on the screen as the movie progress.

In The Dark Knight Rises you can feel your soul crying out for Bruce as Alfred talks to him about his miserable life experiences. We all know Bruce has lost his parents but losing the one he loved Racheal in The Dark Knight was unbearable. Bruce still is saddened from this terrible event which shows his negative aspirations of caring about things. Batman’s and Bruce’s disappearance has left Gotham better than what it was. Gotham was in shambles, people loitering the streets and jobless. Batman and the “hero” Harvey Dent, played by Arron Eckheart in The Dark Knight cleaned the streets of villains. Gotham still pays respect to their most respected man Harvey Dent while others anticipate the return of batman.

Tom hardy is an absolute superb actor to play the villain Bane. Tom Hardy had me trembling in my chair and sweating through my clothes, he is exhilarating. Tom Hardy the perfect actor to play Bane because he is brawny in size and has that odd spine-chilling voice. Bane has an objective and he will execute anyone that crosses his path. Banes followers are loyal, and are increasing in numbers. Not even Gotham’s toughest cop Commissioner Gordon can stop Bane. He is a menace that cannot be apprehended, everyone he encounters is fearful of him. The character Bane gave me nightmares, he took the air out of my lungs he is ruthless.

But there is hope in Gotham because of a rising cop who is springing into action named Blake played by actor Joseph Gordon- Levitt who is a phenomenal actor. Blake is introduced as a new cop that quickly catches on to the criminal activity in Gotham. He warms your heart with passion because you can tell he is really devoted to what he does for a living. Joseph has a nice pretty boy smile that makes you feel safe, but he also can get pretty aggressive when trying to take down a criminal. Blake is a character that knows what to do when put in harmful situations; he doesn’t go by the cop rule book. Blake is one of the most trustworthy cops in Gotham which is rare.

The Dark Knight Rises has a lot of action scenes which were executed by the special affects department; it makes you feel as though you’re in Gotham and is being terrorized by Bane. The gunshots look realistic; due to the sound department it feels as though bullets zip through the movie theater. The makeup and costume department made the characters come to life which essentially makes Bane look so petrifying. When watching this movie on the big screen it feels as though you’re a civilian on the dirty streets of Gotham watching the action go down before your eyes. The people that took part behind the camera are as astonishing as the actors.

In conclusion this movie was one of the most eccentric films of the decade. Every moment of The Dark Knight Rises will have you in a trance; you will not be able to blink. The movie will not have you on the edge of your seat but standing up to watch the action up close. Make sure you go to the doctor after this movie because this will have your heart pumping so fast your body will be filled with adrenaline. There will not be a single soul that leaves the movie theater without thinking their money was well spent. The entire cast did an exceptional job of doing their part in the movie to make it outstanding. Make sure you pick your jaw off of the ground at the end when… you’re going to have to wait and see!

Author: Raheem Kosoko
  73. Oct 18, 2014
    It has been eight years since Batman vanished into the night, turning, in that instant, from hero to fugitive. Assuming the blame for the death of D.A. Harvey Dent, the Dark Knight sacrificed everything for what he and Commissioner Gordon both hoped was the greater good. For a time the lie worked, as criminal activity in Gotham City was crushed under the weight of the anti-crime Dent Act.It has been eight years since Batman vanished into the night, turning, in that instant, from hero to fugitive. Assuming the blame for the death of D.A. Harvey Dent, the Dark Knight sacrificed everything for what he and Commissioner Gordon both hoped was the greater good. For a time the lie worked, as criminal activity in Gotham City was crushed under the weight of the anti-crime Dent Act. But everything will change with the arrival of a cunning cat burglar with a mysterious agenda. Far more dangerous, however, is the emergence of Bane, a masked terrorist whose ruthless plans for Gotham drive Bruce out of his self-imposed exile. Expand
  74. Oct 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a film that shot on location where peaceful Occupy protesters were savaged by corrupt police officers. Knowing this, Christopher Nolan tells the story of heroic, perfect cops who fight the EVIL TERRORISTS. Think about what that means for all of the people who gave this film such undeserved praise. That is how we view polite dissenters: The Bad Guys.

Christopher Nolan has made the worst Batman movie of all time for this, and one other reason:

Even forgetting the terrible screenplay and the sluggish acting, this director hinged his entire plot on the detonation of a nuclear bomb that, as we see in the end, couldn't even kill one person who was at ground zero of the blast. And then has the audacity to assume it is a serious, dramatic production.

At least Batman & Robin wasn't ashamed of being retarded.
  75. Oct 9, 2014
    It may not live up to the nearly unreachable heights of it's predecessor, but it's still a well made, suspenseful, and emotionally investing film, and a fitting conclusion to the Chris Nolan era of Batman films. I wish the best of luck to Affleck and Snyder.
  76. Sep 27, 2014
    Después de ver la segunda, esta puede parecer bastante inferior. Y lo es. Pero aun así, la disfruté mucho mas en su segundo visionado y creo que es una obra maestra del cine de superhéroes. Bane no es el joker, pero es un villano decente. El reparto, como siempre, sublime. Quizás le sobra duración pero es una gran película. El final me gustó mucho, una trilogía 10.
  77. Aug 31, 2014
    Following the triumph of The Dark Knight, it takes a lot more than this to surpass it. Yes, Anne Hathaway is a brilliant addition--but not nearly enough to make this a quality film.
  78. Aug 24, 2014
    A strong 3 1/2 stars. I'm hard pressed to take it down from 4, but frankly, I don't feel the good kind of impact just yet.

I'm having a lot of mixed feelings about this movie. Much anticipated on my part, following one of my all-time favorites, "The Dark Knight", perhaps it was a lot of pressure. Post-movie, I found myself wondering: "Where is Batman?" - because in a movie about the

Post-movie, I found myself wondering: "Where is Batman?" - because in a movie about the caped crusader you would imagine getting a lot of screen time from the man dressed as a big bad bat. I found myself realizing that this movie, all in all, didn't focus on Batman - or even Bruce Wayne - nearly as much as I expected. He was there in spirit, but absent in physical presence.

Anna Hathaway as Selina Kyle (Catwoman) wasn't nearly as impressive as you would think. I just felt like she didn't really have a place in the movie.

Tom Hardy's Bane was big and intimidating (although I missed his own voice when Bane's kept pitching up and down).

Miranda Tate (Marion Cotillard, also seen in "Inception" with JGL and Hardy, now that I recall) was a surprise factor, until which point her presence in the movie made me wonder "why?" more than once.

A surprise lies in Joseph Gordon-Lewitt's John Blake (his role just gets better near the end). He got a lot of screen time, and his story seemed more interesting than a lot of the things going on around him. (A special surprise for him near the end!)

Michael Caine as Alfred and Morgan Freeman as Fox reprise their roles, but are very low-key, as well as Gary Oldman's Gordon.

All in all the story, sadly, was jumpy, feeling like it was patched together from pieces too small, the scenes not cohesive at all and almost hurried. Maybe it was jerked in too many viewpoints at once, or they tried for a different style, but it didn't work for me, at least not in the first viewing. There was a little too much "tell" rather than "show", to pick up the slack.

The sounds were another thing; the music was too loud, as was the theatrical, dark rumbling. They together drowned anything and everything in their way.

So... definitely mixed feelings after the first viewing, but the movie had a lot of small gems scattered all around. It didn't get close to any of the characters, especially Wayne/Batman, although he was battling rather personal demons all along, climbing back from the depression of the last movie.

Bat-fans: check it out. Definitely worth the watch, and it can only get better in future viewings, that I guarantee.
  79. Aug 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This finishes the greatest superhero series of all time in style. It's gripping, dark, realistic, violent, and emotional. It's more intense than any of the other movies in this series, and I was on the edge of my seat the whole movie when I watched it in theaters. It does have a few issues with continuity, and the plot holes in it give it a 9 instead of a 10.

I thought Bane was almost as good as the Joker, actually. He had his own touch. That voice from Bane was slightly scary, and it was extremely cool. It was so loud, and it was pure awesome. Every scene that Bane was in was a really good scene. The first scene was an introduction to his character, and it all went uphill from that amazing moment. Bane made this movie in a way that was similar to the Joker's presence.

Batman was exceptionally performed, and he gave the movie emotion. Catwoman gave the movie a female force as well. She kicked butt. I thought that there could have been one more street chase/fight before Batman got his back broke by Bane, but the movie was already 3 hours long, so it's ok. By the way, the 3 hour run time didn't bug me one bit. I'd much rather be overexposed to a movie I love than be wishing for more. Overall this is a 9/10.
  80. Aug 3, 2014
    The Dark Knight Rises has problems but Christopher Nolan still knows how to make a great superhero movie. Bale continues to be the best Batman, Anne Hathaway is great as Catwoman, and Tom Hardy does a great job as the villain, Bane. The story is great and the action is even better than the other films in the trilogy. Dark Knight Rises' main problem is that it has more than a few plot holesThe Dark Knight Rises has problems but Christopher Nolan still knows how to make a great superhero movie. Bale continues to be the best Batman, Anne Hathaway is great as Catwoman, and Tom Hardy does a great job as the villain, Bane. The story is great and the action is even better than the other films in the trilogy. Dark Knight Rises' main problem is that it has more than a few plot holes and this actually affects the film a lot. The story, even great, has a few problems as well. Luckily the characters still have you invested in the film. The ending is also one of the best trilogy endings I have ever seen. Even though it might be the weakest in the trilogy, it does a great job in wrapping up the trilogy. Expand
  81. Jul 26, 2014
    the dark knight rises is the epic conclusion to the dark knight trilogy like all the new batman movies it is very well made not as good as the dark knight but still very good.

my ratting 8.6/10 9.2/10 for action 8/10 for acting 8/10 for character development 8.5 for style and 8.7 for story
  82. Jul 11, 2014
    Surprisingly poor follow up to arguably the best comic book movie ever made. Everyone had high expectations on this one. I ve seen twice, once in theatre, once at home. I still have the same feelings about it. It is a pretentious drag and probably Nolan's worst film. Characters bounce in and out it as the plot tries to be complex but its really quiet simple. What surprised me theSurprisingly poor follow up to arguably the best comic book movie ever made. Everyone had high expectations on this one. I ve seen twice, once in theatre, once at home. I still have the same feelings about it. It is a pretentious drag and probably Nolan's worst film. Characters bounce in and out it as the plot tries to be complex but its really quiet simple. What surprised me the most I think was how uninspired many of the action sequences. They are just not that good. The movie also relays on cliche plot devices, like a bomb that takes about a day an half to go off?? Then you have Bane who tries to come off as a eloquent bad a, but he just sounds silly most of the time. He has no poison addiction either which was featured in the comics. He is mostly just a psychotic brute in the comics anyway. They also make up an origin story that I believe was not featured in the comics. As you can tell I couldn't stand this movie, That is enough. Expand
  83. Jul 8, 2014
    great end for the trilogy movies of all time. I really liked this movie. I have to say that Bane (tom hardy) is the best super Villain I see, the movie gived me everything I ever wanted to see in a batman movie
  84. Jul 8, 2014
    The final film with our beloved Batman is both awesome, stunning and furious.

The final film with our beloved Batman is both awesome, stunning and furious.

Just as The Dark Knight, we have another incredible well made movie from Christopher Nolan and he keeps me heavily entertained. Just as the previous film, it suffers with a slow amount of action and to much conversations, but in the end is The Dark Knight Rises a hell of a movie, and it might have one of the best endings I’ve ever seen.

Not as stunning as The Dark Knight, but it's still a masterpiece.

The Dark Knight Rises gets a 9/10
  85. Jun 29, 2014
    One of the most entertaining movies ever! Bane's voice is terrifying, Catwoman is hot and Batman is spectacular in his return to the cinema. This is a epic movie filled with plot twists, inspiring scenes and an intense soundtrack!
  86. Jun 25, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I have seen the last two films in this trilogy and the Dark Knight was a powerful film.
    Review:
    Pros: A generally great film.
    Cons: Film was let down by an unrealistic medical miracle and a poorly timed nuclear device that explodes in film/TV time.
    4.5/5 - Good enough to watch it in the cinema and perhaps to buy the DVD.
  87. Jun 11, 2014
    *sigh* disappointing movie. Here's My four main Gripes with this movie: Questionable moments, Poorly past, rushed ending, and Bane and cat woman are both uninteresting. It's like they took the realism and kicked it to the curb because there are so many moments that just don't fit at all . Ya sure the movie will bring you entertainment, but when you really think about it. It will*sigh* disappointing movie. Here's My four main Gripes with this movie: Questionable moments, Poorly past, rushed ending, and Bane and cat woman are both uninteresting. It's like they took the realism and kicked it to the curb because there are so many moments that just don't fit at all . Ya sure the movie will bring you entertainment, but when you really think about it. It will disappoint you and make you mad. Expand
  88. May 23, 2014
    This movie is every bit as pretentious, dull and comically serious as The Dark Knight. Only it's a lot dumber and has dialogue so bad, even some 5th graders could write better. It boggles my mind that some people call this movie "cerebral". If you had to actually think to understand something in this movie, your IQ is probably not very high. Try not to overload your brain with this amazingThis movie is every bit as pretentious, dull and comically serious as The Dark Knight. Only it's a lot dumber and has dialogue so bad, even some 5th graders could write better. It boggles my mind that some people call this movie "cerebral". If you had to actually think to understand something in this movie, your IQ is probably not very high. Try not to overload your brain with this amazing masterpiece of complex screenwriting. Expand
  89. May 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Things wrong with TDKR:
    *Way too many characters
    *Plot built on ludicrous underground tunnel network
    *Referring back to the League of Shadows and the first movie. TDK didn't. Batman begins was a good movie, but it's time to move on.
    *Ludicrous dystopian society emerges in Gotham within weeks
    *Bane getting killed in the background of a shot.
    *Pretty much everything Bane said and did before getting killed.
    *The cops are apparently now saints (a bizarre 360 from the first two films)
    *Ludicrous Asian hole-prison with an easy escape that everyone ignores
    *Rope-based chiropractic
    *Impossible escape from an exploding nuke whose fallout should irradiate the entire area.
    *Ludicrous finance market machinations. Apparently, breaking into a stock exchange doesn't give us the ability to reverse any transactions conducted during that time.
    *James Newton Howard is missing. The Hans Zimmer stuff is as pulse-pounding as always, but the class and the intimacy conveyed by the Howard sections of the scores of earlier films is sorely missed.
    *Ludicrous CGI flying bat-vehicle.
    *Bruce Wayne is apparently a horrible judge of character, and gets betrayed by everyone he knows at some point
    *Ludicrous conflict between Bruce and Alfred completely contradicts characterizations from earlier films
    *No mention of the Joker.

Things right with TDKR:
    *Catwoman (played with just the right degree of subtlety)
    *Eh, not a whole lot else.
  90. May 11, 2014
    You can say what you want about this film, but I found it to be an enjoyable experience and a great way to end this trilogy. Like the predecessors, TDKR is full of a lot of intense action and thrills; I though Bane was a cool and intimidating antagonist, Christian Bale was good as always. One thing I didn't like this film (and this flaw also applied to a certain other superhero movie thatYou can say what you want about this film, but I found it to be an enjoyable experience and a great way to end this trilogy. Like the predecessors, TDKR is full of a lot of intense action and thrills; I though Bane was a cool and intimidating antagonist, Christian Bale was good as always. One thing I didn't like this film (and this flaw also applied to a certain other superhero movie that came out the following year *cough cough*Iron Man 3*cough*) is you will not see a lot of Batman in this film, but a lot more Bruce Wayne which kind of through me off a bit; also the ending is a bit confusing (and maybe a little rushed). Aside those things, Nolan's 3rd Batman flim was pretty enjoyable. Expand
  91. May 6, 2014
    Y'know that joke that became popular on the internet that involved Batman performing the impossible or doing something nonsensical and explaining it with "'Cause I'm Batman!"? I think Chris Nolan was actually taking that really seriously. This film is entertaining the first time you watch it but the more time passes and the more you think about it the more it will get under your skin withY'know that joke that became popular on the internet that involved Batman performing the impossible or doing something nonsensical and explaining it with "'Cause I'm Batman!"? I think Chris Nolan was actually taking that really seriously. This film is entertaining the first time you watch it but the more time passes and the more you think about it the more it will get under your skin with a senseless plot riddled with holes. Getting the good out of the way early: the acting is brilliant. There isn't a bad performance in this film. Now that we're done with the good let's get onto all the unanswered questions in The Dark Knight Rises.
    How does Batman abseil down the side of a building after being told he has no cartilage in his knee?
    How did it take him 8 years to find out about this lack of cartilage?
    How come it hinders his ability to walk but abseiling is fine?
    What the hell is the magic robo knee brace?
    If it allows him to kick through solid brick then why does he never kick Bane when he's fighting him and break his freaking ribs?
    When Bane takes away his Batsuit then why doesn't he take the magic robo knee brace too when he throws him into the big hole prison?
    Where the hell is the big hole prison supposed to be?
    Why was Bane in there?
    Why was he so protective of Talia?
    Why did everyone else attack him?
    What happened to his face?
    Why does he need the mask?
    Where did he get it?
    Why does it hurt when it's broken?
    How does being punched in the spine completely heal a broken back in less than 3 months?
    How does falling from a great height and being caught by a rope tightly wrapped around his waist not break Batmans back all over again? Or just kill him?
    How did Bane and his goons sneak motorcycles into the stock exchange?
    How does nobody find the flying batmobile when it's left unattended in Gotham for months?
    Why does Gordon send every cop in the city underground at the same time?
    Why does Bane keep those cops alive instead of just killing them? He's literally sending them care packages, why does he need them alive?
    How does Batman get from the big hole prison into the heavily guarded Gotham city with no idea where he is, no money, no transport, no method of contact to anybody and nobody knowing where he is?
    Where and when did he get that clean slate thing for Catwoman?
    When the unarmed cops charge the heavily armed army of Bane goons how do they not all get massacred by the guns and freaking tanks firing at them?
    If Talia was really the bad guy then why did she help the good guys several times before the big reveal?
    For that matter why didn't she just kill Batman when she was in his house and had the element of surprise? Or just kill when she stabbed him? If her plan was to blow up Gotham either way then why did she drag it out for 3 months?
    How does Batman get from the flying Batmobile to some other unspecified location in less than 3 seconds before the nuke explodes?
    Even in the highly unlikely scenario that he flew the nuke far enough away to have Gotham out of the blast radius wouldn't the radiation still kill everyone?
    How does nobody notice the incredibly famous recently dead guy sitting out in the open in a cafe in Florence?
    How did none of these questions occur to Chris Nolan before this film was finished production?
  92. May 4, 2014
    The Dark Knight Trilogy makes it to the finish line, bucking the system of many superhero trilogies, along with a couple of high-profiled ones as well.
  93. May 3, 2014
    The Dark Knight Rises was one of the few successfull trilogies to have all three parts being enjoyable. While this sequel doesnt quite match the previous its still a fun ride and a great film. yes it has problems alot. but the overall effect and what the movie does right heavily outweighs the wrong. It is a great conclusion to the trilogy.
  94. May 1, 2014
    Like another review said, this movie is not terrible by any means, but it's not good either. It's rather bland and mediocre. I can't think of a single scene that stands out for me, versus the many great scenes from Dark Knight.

The action is meh as well, nothing really great. The plot is very convoluted (too many things happening, a lot of plot holes, jumps in time, poor writing, etc) and there are too many characters, most of which we don't really end up caring about. Robin seems like an almost useless character, and Catwoman never rises above being a sexy stereotypical woman in a bodytight suit. Meanwhile I feel like we don't even see enough Batman. The whole sequence at the prison is also really boring and silly, and the ending of the film is very weak.
  95. Apr 30, 2014
    This is not as good as The Dark Knight as many movie goers can agree with me. The running time may seem extremely long (2:45) but you wish that it was just a little longer. I own The Dark Knight Trilogy all on blu ray and it annoys me how the IMAX switches on and off during action scenes. That is probably the biggest complaint I have with this movie. This is the largest in scale which is aThis is not as good as The Dark Knight as many movie goers can agree with me. The running time may seem extremely long (2:45) but you wish that it was just a little longer. I own The Dark Knight Trilogy all on blu ray and it annoys me how the IMAX switches on and off during action scenes. That is probably the biggest complaint I have with this movie. This is the largest in scale which is a better setup than the last two movies. This is a great movie for any Batman fan. Expand
  96. Apr 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not going to waist my time and say its not as good as the Dark Knight because I would be missing the point. The fact that Nolan's films transcend their genre and are relatable to anyone and everyone, in my mind at least, serves as no reason to punish them for not always transcending their genre. Ultimately it is what it is and will reward fans of the previous films as well as newcomers. Just don't let misguided critics get in the way of you watching it. Acting wise there was a big void to fill with Ledgers absence but, a double helping of bad guys brilliantly portrayed by, Hardy and Hathaway definitely fill the void. The film thrills as much as the previous films and even more considering the affection the audience now has with the characters. Look people will always flout the ending, but don't let them ruin it for you the ending is perfect if a little to perfect, but it did what it needed to do and rounded up the last 2 films superbly with cheeky references to previous films.
    Ultimately a worthy successor to the Dark Knight and there's no higher praise than that.
  97. Apr 27, 2014
    There was some dumb plot holes but overall the fight scenes between Batman and Bane were awesome. The pacing, acting, and quality of the film was fantastic.
  98. Apr 27, 2014
    This movie was such as disappointment to me. I liked it, but I wanted to love it like I loved the original Dark Knight. Like I loved Batman Begins. But this film had so many issues. There were so many plot holes, Batman just wasn't there, Bane never shut up and I saw the twist coming from a mile away. Also the ending as a slap in the face. But it wasn't all bad. The idea behind the storyThis movie was such as disappointment to me. I liked it, but I wanted to love it like I loved the original Dark Knight. Like I loved Batman Begins. But this film had so many issues. There were so many plot holes, Batman just wasn't there, Bane never shut up and I saw the twist coming from a mile away. Also the ending as a slap in the face. But it wasn't all bad. The idea behind the story is great, the acting is awesome (even Tom Hardy did great as Bane, even though he monologued WAY too much), the fight scenes are pretty good and the music was amazing. But overall, I've never been this disappointed in a movie. Expand
  99. Apr 19, 2014
    A great, great movie. Not as good as the dark knight in my opinion but still one of my all time favourite movies. Awesome fight scenes especially including bane and just the right amount of dialogue in it too. And the ending is absolutely amazing and one of the best endings to a movie I have ever seen. Can't wait for the next Batman movie.
  100. Apr 4, 2014
    the batman series is not so exciting . the movie is fun and a rockstar hit . " christian bale is wonderful playin the one and only batman ..........................
    Grade A

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.