The Dark Knight Rises

8.2

1. Mar 25, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'The Dark Knight Rises' is unfortunately the weakest movie in the Christopher Nolan 'Batman' trilogy. I say 'unfortunately' as I was expecting so much more, but as I soon discovered, the final film in the trilogy has very little Batman, too much of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and is way too long.

Bane is unrealistic as a villain, and Bruce Wayne spends most of his time in a dungeon with a broken back, while Joseph Gordon-Levitt patrols the streets of Gotham as detective Robin John Blake, who never actually becomes Robin. And it all builds up to a clever but unnecessary plot twist at the very end.

On the plus side, though, Anne Hathaway did a great job as Catwoman, and Michael Caine is brilliant as Alfred, no matter how little screen-time he gets.

Although it has its moments, in the end, 'The Dark Knight Rises' is just another over-the-top action movie, which is not the slightest bit as good as 'The Dark Knight'.
  2. Mar 19, 2016
    The Dark Knight Rises is a massive letdown if you loved The Dark Knight, because Rises has none of the clever and exciting elements that made Dark Knight so entertaining. Firstly, Bane is a very disappointing villain, who dies very abruptly. Secondly, the story is not very well paced or acted. Thirdly, there are HEAPS of plot twists you could see from a mile away. Overall, Rises is aThe Dark Knight Rises is a massive letdown if you loved The Dark Knight, because Rises has none of the clever and exciting elements that made Dark Knight so entertaining. Firstly, Bane is a very disappointing villain, who dies very abruptly. Secondly, the story is not very well paced or acted. Thirdly, there are HEAPS of plot twists you could see from a mile away. Overall, Rises is a letdown and a dissapointing way to end the Dark Knight Trilogy. Expand
  3. Feb 21, 2016
    A piss poor end to a great Batman series of movies,the plot holes are huge and just ruins this movie and completely ruins Batman as all he does is moan and cry and acts like a complete moron through out the movie. Bane compared to the Joker,scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul is very bland hes a generic thug that beats up batman in a heavily choreographed fight, all you have to do is look up theA piss poor end to a great Batman series of movies,the plot holes are huge and just ruins this movie and completely ruins Batman as all he does is moan and cry and acts like a complete moron through out the movie. Bane compared to the Joker,scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul is very bland hes a generic thug that beats up batman in a heavily choreographed fight, all you have to do is look up the honest trailer of this film and you could call that my full review. Watch if you want but you might be horribly disappointed. Expand
  4. Dec 26, 2015
    I found this movie to be fairly disappointing with sub-par writing. There are numerous glaring plots holes in this movie that just make no sense when closely analyzed.
  5. Nov 28, 2015
    First off, The original Dark Knight is one of my most favorite movies of all time of any genre. DC movies are lauded for being more "realistic" than other super hero movies but this movie left me shaking my head in too many ways. A group of terrorist thugs could really hold an entire city while the world's best trained military does nothing? An entire police force can get "trapped" inFirst off, The original Dark Knight is one of my most favorite movies of all time of any genre. DC movies are lauded for being more "realistic" than other super hero movies but this movie left me shaking my head in too many ways. A group of terrorist thugs could really hold an entire city while the world's best trained military does nothing? An entire police force can get "trapped" in the sewers? So I can fixed by slipped discs in my back by punching them back into place and climbing several stories weeks (months?) later? You can detonate a nuclear bomb a mile off shore without any negative affects and the pilot can easily survive? Other superhero movies don't claim to be realistic and The Dark Knight Rises shouldn't either. Overall an average movie, but what's with Bane's old-timey gold prospector voice? Expand
  6. Yen
    Aug 2, 2015
    Ultimately, a let down. Bane was a great villain but the writing was weak and the pacing was off. Even for a super hero movie, I found it hard to suspend my disbelief. A disappointing end to what could have been a fantastic trilogy from my favorite director.
  7. Jan 4, 2015
    This film is awesome, but it's previous film still beats it. It tries to be more epic (and is more epic) but comes with some gaping plot holes. Still a highly enjoyable movie nevertheless, but the 2nd film in the trilogy is the must see one. However, one reason to see this is to watch Tom Hardy's excellent performance of the muscle house that is Bane. He's big, he's intimidating, and heThis film is awesome, but it's previous film still beats it. It tries to be more epic (and is more epic) but comes with some gaping plot holes. Still a highly enjoyable movie nevertheless, but the 2nd film in the trilogy is the must see one. However, one reason to see this is to watch Tom Hardy's excellent performance of the muscle house that is Bane. He's big, he's intimidating, and he CAN break the bat. He doesn't beat Ledgers Joker but still puts on an excellent performance. This film is filled with the same great visual and practical effects as the previous and comes with what you expect from a Nolan film. Good film. Expand
  8. Aug 31, 2014
    Following the triumph of The Dark Knight, it takes a lot more than this to surpass it. Yes, Anne Hathaway is a brilliant addition--but not nearly enough to make this a quality film.
  9. Jun 11, 2014
    *sigh* disappointing movie. Here's My four main Gripes with this movie: Questionable moments, Poorly past, rushed ending, and Bane and cat woman are both uninteresting. It's like they took the realism and kicked it to the curb because there are so many moments that just don't fit at all . Ya sure the movie will bring you entertainment, but when you really think about it. It will*sigh* disappointing movie. Here's My four main Gripes with this movie: Questionable moments, Poorly past, rushed ending, and Bane and cat woman are both uninteresting. It's like they took the realism and kicked it to the curb because there are so many moments that just don't fit at all . Ya sure the movie will bring you entertainment, but when you really think about it. It will disappoint you and make you mad. Expand
  10. May 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Things wrong with TDKR:
    *Way too many characters
    *Plot built on ludicrous underground tunnel network
    *Referring back to the League of Shadows and the first movie. TDK didn't. Batman begins was a good movie, but it's time to move on.
    *Ludicrous dystopian society emerges in Gotham within weeks
    *Bane getting killed in the background of a shot.
    *Pretty much everything Bane said and did before getting killed.
    *The cops are apparently now saints (a bizarre 360 from the first two films)
    *Ludicrous Asian hole-prison with an easy escape that everyone ignores
    *Rope-based chiropractic
    *Impossible escape from an exploding nuke whose fallout should irradiate the entire area.
    *Ludicrous finance market machinations. Apparently, breaking into a stock exchange doesn't give us the ability to reverse any transactions conducted during that time.
    *James Newton Howard is missing. The Hans Zimmer stuff is as pulse-pounding as always, but the class and the intimacy conveyed by the Howard sections of the scores of earlier films is sorely missed.
    *Ludicrous CGI flying bat-vehicle.
    *Bruce Wayne is apparently a horrible judge of character, and gets betrayed by everyone he knows at some point
    *Ludicrous conflict between Bruce and Alfred completely contradicts characterizations from earlier films
    *No mention of the Joker.

Things right with TDKR:
    *Catwoman (played with just the right degree of subtlety)
    *Eh, not a whole lot else.
  11. May 6, 2014
    Y'know that joke that became popular on the internet that involved Batman performing the impossible or doing something nonsensical and explaining it with "'Cause I'm Batman!"? I think Chris Nolan was actually taking that really seriously. This film is entertaining the first time you watch it but the more time passes and the more you think about it the more it will get under your skin withY'know that joke that became popular on the internet that involved Batman performing the impossible or doing something nonsensical and explaining it with "'Cause I'm Batman!"? I think Chris Nolan was actually taking that really seriously. This film is entertaining the first time you watch it but the more time passes and the more you think about it the more it will get under your skin with a senseless plot riddled with holes. Getting the good out of the way early: the acting is brilliant. There isn't a bad performance in this film. Now that we're done with the good let's get onto all the unanswered questions in The Dark Knight Rises.
    How does Batman abseil down the side of a building after being told he has no cartilage in his knee?
    How did it take him 8 years to find out about this lack of cartilage?
    How come it hinders his ability to walk but abseiling is fine?
    What the hell is the magic robo knee brace?
    If it allows him to kick through solid brick then why does he never kick Bane when he's fighting him and break his freaking ribs?
    When Bane takes away his Batsuit then why doesn't he take the magic robo knee brace too when he throws him into the big hole prison?
    Where the hell is the big hole prison supposed to be?
    Why was Bane in there?
    Why was he so protective of Talia?
    Why did everyone else attack him?
    What happened to his face?
    Why does he need the mask?
    Where did he get it?
    Why does it hurt when it's broken?
    How does being punched in the spine completely heal a broken back in less than 3 months?
    How does falling from a great height and being caught by a rope tightly wrapped around his waist not break Batmans back all over again? Or just kill him?
    How did Bane and his goons sneak motorcycles into the stock exchange?
    How does nobody find the flying batmobile when it's left unattended in Gotham for months?
    Why does Gordon send every cop in the city underground at the same time?
    Why does Bane keep those cops alive instead of just killing them? He's literally sending them care packages, why does he need them alive?
    How does Batman get from the big hole prison into the heavily guarded Gotham city with no idea where he is, no money, no transport, no method of contact to anybody and nobody knowing where he is?
    Where and when did he get that clean slate thing for Catwoman?
    When the unarmed cops charge the heavily armed army of Bane goons how do they not all get massacred by the guns and freaking tanks firing at them?
    If Talia was really the bad guy then why did she help the good guys several times before the big reveal?
    For that matter why didn't she just kill Batman when she was in his house and had the element of surprise? Or just kill when she stabbed him? If her plan was to blow up Gotham either way then why did she drag it out for 3 months?
    How does Batman get from the flying Batmobile to some other unspecified location in less than 3 seconds before the nuke explodes?
    Even in the highly unlikely scenario that he flew the nuke far enough away to have Gotham out of the blast radius wouldn't the radiation still kill everyone?
    How does nobody notice the incredibly famous recently dead guy sitting out in the open in a cafe in Florence?
    How did none of these questions occur to Chris Nolan before this film was finished production?
  12. May 1, 2014
    Like another review said, this movie is not terrible by any means, but it's not good either. It's rather bland and mediocre. I can't think of a single scene that stands out for me, versus the many great scenes from Dark Knight.

The action is meh as well, nothing really great. The plot is very convoluted (too many things happening, a lot of plot holes, jumps in time, poor writing, etc) and there are too many characters, most of which we don't really end up caring about. Robin seems like an almost useless character, and Catwoman never rises above being a sexy stereotypical woman in a bodytight suit. Meanwhile I feel like we don't even see enough Batman. The whole sequence at the prison is also really boring and silly, and the ending of the film is very weak.
  13. Apr 27, 2014
    This movie was such as disappointment to me. I liked it, but I wanted to love it like I loved the original Dark Knight. Like I loved Batman Begins. But this film had so many issues. There were so many plot holes, Batman just wasn't there, Bane never shut up and I saw the twist coming from a mile away. Also the ending as a slap in the face. But it wasn't all bad. The idea behind the storyThis movie was such as disappointment to me. I liked it, but I wanted to love it like I loved the original Dark Knight. Like I loved Batman Begins. But this film had so many issues. There were so many plot holes, Batman just wasn't there, Bane never shut up and I saw the twist coming from a mile away. Also the ending as a slap in the face. But it wasn't all bad. The idea behind the story is great, the acting is awesome (even Tom Hardy did great as Bane, even though he monologued WAY too much), the fight scenes are pretty good and the music was amazing. But overall, I've never been this disappointed in a movie. Expand
  14. Dec 29, 2013
    Wasted a good opportunity to make an original movie ending an epic serie. However they tried too hard to copy the style and feeling of the second movie with touches of the first (the scenes away from the civilization). This ended up becoming too long' convoluted and without feeling.

The real problem however, is that most stuff isn't logic or believable, contrary to the precedent movie which had a pretty darn good suspension of disbelief ...

Selina has a nice figure in the usual black dress but not much more and it actually doesn't fit well into the atmosphere if the movie. Makes it look even more like a patchwork of styles and ideas, not well amalgamated
  15. Sep 21, 2013
    Good film, but it didn't wow me like its predecessor. There was really no standout performance when it came to acting either. All the acting was very good, but I didn't see that wow moment. I felt like they could have portrayed Bane better. It just doesn't have the magic that the other two films had. The ending was a bit strange as well. On the plus side, the plot was still solid,Good film, but it didn't wow me like its predecessor. There was really no standout performance when it came to acting either. All the acting was very good, but I didn't see that wow moment. I felt like they could have portrayed Bane better. It just doesn't have the magic that the other two films had. The ending was a bit strange as well. On the plus side, the plot was still solid, and there were no bad performances. Good visual effects and quality action scenes. And I liked the Liam Neeson cameo. Overall, I wasn't entirely impressed, but it kept my attention and it's worth watching. Expand
  16. Aug 18, 2013
    There is exactly one witty line in the entire movie, when a stock trader tells Bane, "This is a stock exchange! There's no money you can steal!" and Bane replies, "Really? Then why are you people here?" Otherwise, this is a dreary, grim, and humorless two-and-a-half-hour slog through cartoonish mayhem and maudlin cliches. With plot holes so big, they literally and ironically can driveThere is exactly one witty line in the entire movie, when a stock trader tells Bane, "This is a stock exchange! There's no money you can steal!" and Bane replies, "Really? Then why are you people here?" Otherwise, this is a dreary, grim, and humorless two-and-a-half-hour slog through cartoonish mayhem and maudlin cliches. With plot holes so big, they literally and ironically can drive tanks through them. After a while, the dumb violence just gets more and more numbing and meaningless, and the film's political themes, if you can call them that, get more and more unfocused. All in all, I think this film detracts from the Batman canon, and I see no reason for Warner Bros. to continue with any of these story lines. Expand
  17. Jul 22, 2013
    Pretty boring...The dark knight rises is the worst batman movie i ever seen..in other words: horrible.....me quede dormido en el cine jajajaja................
  18. Jul 12, 2013
    There is no lack of ambition or big ideas nor can someone blame Nolan for not trying to go a step further. However, the result of this grandiose attempt seems muddled and it falls below the standards of a great storyteller, not just for this trilogy, but for his whole filmography.
  19. Jun 27, 2013
    As far as superhero movies go, the Dark Knight is still one of the better "sequels", and the Dark Knight Rises is such a bad step in the wrong direction. The reasons for my disappointment are in how bland the cast is this time, especially the supporting cast, which the previous 2 movies got right. The plot becomes complicated for no good or interesting reasons, and there is no witty,As far as superhero movies go, the Dark Knight is still one of the better "sequels", and the Dark Knight Rises is such a bad step in the wrong direction. The reasons for my disappointment are in how bland the cast is this time, especially the supporting cast, which the previous 2 movies got right. The plot becomes complicated for no good or interesting reasons, and there is no witty, funny, or memorable lines from any characters this time. Bane has promise, and as the movie continues it's apparent that there is nothing separating him from any other average villain. The movie falls short in a lot of ways, but the main problem of the film is how choppy the pacing can be, and how forced some of the decisions made and emotion can be. Expand
  20. Jun 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i actually felt manipulated after watching this movie because there is so little sense that this movie makes
    and there is so many technical errors that leaves you scratching your head.
    and i know that the music were good and there are some epic scenes like the one with kidnapping the scientist from the plane but these mistakes simply destroyed the movie entirely such as :
    Wayne escape from a hole in Istanbul and next thing you know he show up at Gotham city with no torture remarks on his face or body.
    the guy with the patch on his eye in the hole with Wayne never speaks English until the last scene
    the fact that Wayne shows up at Gotham just when Selina was saving a kid and returning his apple AND WHY DID SHE BITE THAT APPLE BEFORE GIVING IT BACK
    also the fight scene between Batman and Bane when they through all their weapons and start a hand fight REALLY ?
    how come someone can steal a money from the stock exchange using an Ipad with an adapter
    and the last scene when batman escaped from a nuclear holocaust makes the movie so much worse
    also the fact that the bad guy was around you all the time shows a lack of imagination and destroyed the story for good.
    so in the end i think that the only way that you can enjoy this movie is by being a die-hard fan to the series who don't pay attention to details or not trying to seek sense in the story.
  21. May 28, 2013
    The disappointing third installment in the series causes me to wonder if Nolan ever had any love for the source material in the first place. Batman is absent, No-Man's-Land isn't well portrayed, and the movie's desperate attempt to surpass its predecessors results in an awfully silly premise.
  22. May 2, 2013
    overall a bit disappointing and very confused in itself not as good or exciting as the previous movie and takes itself way too seriously.....
    even the action sequences seemed a bit too staged for my liking
  23. Apr 28, 2013
    I seem to have trouble placing this flick into a proper genre. Surely, it can't be called a superhero movie since (costumed) Batman appears for only 20 or so minutes of the total 165 of running time (I'm afraid that more adequate title would be 'Bruce Wayne Rises'). That's just one of the many flaws of this pompous project, but let's start from the beginning...
    First and most important:
    First and most important: the film is BORING! Yes, that's right. It's not about how long it is, but about the dull plot infested with holes and unconvincing performances... which brings us to second...
    The entire cast is ill chosen! Tom Hardy as Bane?! Bane is supposed to be a massive powerhouse, not a bloated dwarf! Although Hardy is a great actor, this role does not suit him. Even with all cinematic tricks used to make him look bigger it's painfully obvious that he's average size at best. Furthermore, in order to make Bane look more intimidating, Bale was forced to lose a significant weight thus making Batman appear as if he would have a hard time taking out a strung-out junkie. In fact, with Gordon insufficiently developed (which was the case in all the previous installments as well) and Alfred reduced to a mere crybaby, most memorable performances are those of Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
    Three: Fights are very, VERY poorly choreographed! Each punch that Batman throws is telegraphed and looks like it's thrown by a person who never hit anything in his life. Bale could have really taken some fighting lessons prior to the filming, because this is so unconvincing that I can't even begin to describe it.
    Four: Plot itself makes little to no sense. Subplots are actually far more intriguing (if anything about this film can be called intriguing, that is). Ending is both disappointing and ridiculous making you wonder why you wasted almost three hours of your life on this apparently rushed out and clunky flick.
    Oh yeah... I still can't get over Batman's idiotic throat talk. The one who came up with that idea should be killed on spot!
  24. Feb 12, 2013
    I liked the previous two movies from the series, but this one did not live up to my expectations. Way too long, predictable and many times illogical (mostly the motivation behind certain characters). Also I think it was less mature than the previous movie, somehow I feel it was lacking the serious dramatic approach. The whole movie felt like Mr. Nolan had to make a movie, but he wasI liked the previous two movies from the series, but this one did not live up to my expectations. Way too long, predictable and many times illogical (mostly the motivation behind certain characters). Also I think it was less mature than the previous movie, somehow I feel it was lacking the serious dramatic approach. The whole movie felt like Mr. Nolan had to make a movie, but he was lacking the great idea he had previously when making the first two movies.... Expand
  25. Jan 11, 2013
    The acting was fine, if not subpar at some times. The special effects were fine. The general premise of the movie was fine. However, upon watching this movie, I was waiting for the climax to happen for 3 hours, but then I realized it had already sort of happened. The whole cops-vs-robbers storyline went to an excess, and the fight scenes were poorly filmed. It was a disappointingThe acting was fine, if not subpar at some times. The special effects were fine. The general premise of the movie was fine. However, upon watching this movie, I was waiting for the climax to happen for 3 hours, but then I realized it had already sort of happened. The whole cops-vs-robbers storyline went to an excess, and the fight scenes were poorly filmed. It was a disappointing conclusion to the trilogy. Expand
  26. Jan 6, 2013
    I wasn't impressed. The cinematography has always been fantastic and it was yet again but the rest wasn't that good. The second one is one of my favorite movies ever and the first one was really good but this... it was a good concept executed poorly. Anne Hathaway sucked and the rest were alright. Bane just sounded like a german prostitute and the cop war was almost cool until batman canI wasn't impressed. The cinematography has always been fantastic and it was yet again but the rest wasn't that good. The second one is one of my favorite movies ever and the first one was really good but this... it was a good concept executed poorly. Anne Hathaway sucked and the rest were alright. Bane just sounded like a german prostitute and the cop war was almost cool until batman can just walk through it and fight bane with no one else intervening. It was cool and well done with effects and stuff but eh, not impressed Expand
  27. Jan 5, 2013
    A bloated, contrived and self-indulgent barrage of flat dialogue, juvenile characterisation and cliché action sequences. Nolan's post-modernist take on Batman is little more than a static metaphor that takes itself far too seriously and is totally devoid of levity and brevity.
  28. Dec 29, 2012
    "The Dark Knight Rises" presents an incomprehensibly muddled story, a swarm of too many new characters, and a tediously spiritual journey of Batman
  29. Dec 28, 2012
    Somewhat disappointed. I am in the minority I think, in that I rate Batman Begins as the best Superhero movie ever, it actually was a very good movie with a superhero. The Dark Knight Rises could have maybe surpassed it had it been one movie (beginning and ending with the joker) rather than meandering further along with the much less interesting "two face" story. But getting to The DarkSomewhat disappointed. I am in the minority I think, in that I rate Batman Begins as the best Superhero movie ever, it actually was a very good movie with a superhero. The Dark Knight Rises could have maybe surpassed it had it been one movie (beginning and ending with the joker) rather than meandering further along with the much less interesting "two face" story. But getting to The Dark Knight Rises, villain, OK, not great, catwomen, great, Michael Cain and Morgan Freeman, their usual able and likable selves, but nothing new added.

My main problem with the movie was this, I can buy into superheroes and supevillians in movies, but the world they function in still has to have a certain believability in terms of rules and logic. So a guy takes a whole city hostage, and the world just kind of steps back and watches because of the threat of blowing everybody up or whatever? Wouldn't there be some special ops or at least intelligence operations being undertaken by the US Govt? I know its a movie, but that part just seemed too goofy to get beyond to me, the whole city takeover and helpless for 60 days or whatever. The good, the beginning, most any scene with Anne Hathaway, the very end tied it all up pretty well and was pretty cool. The mediocre, pretty much the rest of the movie.
  30. Dec 22, 2012
    The comic-book nature of this film is inevitable, and there is an instinct not to take it too seriously as a grown-up movie. If it weren't for the constant flow of violence (bystanders get shot like cardboard ducks at a booth where you win stuffed animals), this film is perfect for ages 13-17. After 17, most high-schoolers will be too mature. Christian Bale is a serious Batman and aThe comic-book nature of this film is inevitable, and there is an instinct not to take it too seriously as a grown-up movie. If it weren't for the constant flow of violence (bystanders get shot like cardboard ducks at a booth where you win stuffed animals), this film is perfect for ages 13-17. After 17, most high-schoolers will be too mature. Christian Bale is a serious Batman and a seriously handsome one, but his character is superficial. He's committed to justice, he's awfully rich, and he avoids romantic entanglements. He prizes the paternal loyalty of his butler, Alfred, played by Michael Caine. Caine reprises his role for the first act of the film, gets written out of the script for reasons that are too mundane to remember, and shows up at the very end to reassure viewers that he is still looking after his boy. Batman's nemesis is Catwoman, a thief played by Anne Hathaway, a sort of female Robin Hood, who steals from the rich to give to the only poor person she cares about, which is herself. Not quite as altruistic as one would hope for, but Hathaway does give Catwoman a new dimension heretofore unseen in comic books and previous feline versions of the character. She's a professional thief, desperate to support herself with her thieving skills, but also desperate to find a new identity so that she can start over without a criminal record and have a normal life. It's her fatal flaw; she'll agree to almost anything if someone can promise her a clean slate. Hathaway apparently did martial arts, yoga, and a lot of dieting and working out to prepare for this role and it shows--she's in good enough shape to be a kickboxing champion. She starts out as a bad guy, or girl, but mellows later in the film, mostly because she falls in love with Bruce Wayne. (Batman is a bit more vulnerable in this version because of his love for Catwoman, which is a softening touch in a film that badly needs one.) Batman has an unofficial partner, a rookie cop named John Blake played aptly by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who is clever and inventive and often saves the day. In the end, we find out Blake doesn't like to use his real name, which is "Robin." (This is not a spoiler.) The real bad guy is a Darth Vader type named Bane. He is deadly, criminally insane, and beyond hope, but he does have a weak spot that shows he has a heart. The spot is so weak that it's not very believable, and his version of heart is a case of too little, too late. Bane is too evil and too predictable; his violent behavior is pure insanity, and he's in danger of being monotonous. Marion Cotillard as Miranda, who knows Wayne through high society and high funding circles, has to make an about-face at one point that, again, comes late in the film and without warning so that it looks like a plot twist written in at the last minute. The prison of the film is a Dantean hell with hope for redemption being only a hole in the ceiling that gives the prisoners a circular view of heaven--a visual symbolism that is almost brilliant but does not quite redeem the rest of the film. A surrealistic sham courtroom where everyone is sentenced to death or exile is right out of Kafka's The Trial. Despite these literary touches, the movie is too grim, violent and predictable, although Batman fans seem to love it anyway. Too many people seem to know that Wayne is Batman in this sequel, and you would think that it would be all over the Internet. The film is still visually entertaining with excellent actors and manages to hold your interest, although admittedly the next morning you won't remember what happened or why. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.