8.4

1. Sep 19, 2013
    The best installment of the Batman trilogy, The Dark Knight Rises is involving, gripping, and riveting. The story is on par, as well as a great cast new to the series (Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotillard, etc.). The movie never lags, and Tom Hardy's Bane comes across as a testosterone-fueled hunk of a man who knows true pain and wants to do justice in his own twisted ways.

While

While some may say that the background story of Bane isn't what's in the comics, just stop. Did it fit the movie? Maybe it didn't, because I bet my ass director Christopher Nolan took that into consideration. I bet they did a screen test, and that storyline didn't work. To be honest, it's not that big of a detail and can be easily overlooked, and it didn't do any damage to the story. In fact, it made it *that* much more interesting.
  2. Jan 11, 2013
    I'm a huge Batman fan, I've watched every movie so far and I have to admit this is not only one of the best Batman movies (I say one of the best because Batman Forever is my favorite, agree or disagree I don't care it's my favorite) but it's also one of the best superhero movies of all time. It's action packed, has a great story, outstanding acting, and some awesome comic tie-ins. AnI'm a huge Batman fan, I've watched every movie so far and I have to admit this is not only one of the best Batman movies (I say one of the best because Batman Forever is my favorite, agree or disagree I don't care it's my favorite) but it's also one of the best superhero movies of all time. It's action packed, has a great story, outstanding acting, and some awesome comic tie-ins. An outstanding movie that I highly recommend watching. Expand
  3. Aug 14, 2012
    Nolan has made an absolute masterpiece on an epic scale. It may not be as good as the Dark Knight and doesn't have a performance like Ledgers, but it is far superior to every other movie out there.
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    Although it is not as cleanly compressed together as its ancestors, Christopher Nolan's conclusion to his - now pristine - Batman trilogy still remains a sweeping, emotional, and completely endearing master work of modern cinema.
  5. Mar 14, 2013
    The final installment in the best superhero movie franchise of all time is equal to its predecessors. The additions of Tom Hardy as Bane and Anne Hathaway as Catwoman are great and Michael Caine continues tobe the standout performance.
  6. Aug 9, 2012
    Although it seems tantamount to treason to do so, I'll go out on a limb and say that The Dark Knight Rises is the best bat-flick yet. Begins and Knight were fine movies but both lacked a truly killer action sequence. Rises fixes that problem and has a whole slew of amazing action scenes, both vehicular and hand-to-hand. The story, whilst not as clever as Knight's, still packs the usualAlthough it seems tantamount to treason to do so, I'll go out on a limb and say that The Dark Knight Rises is the best bat-flick yet. Begins and Knight were fine movies but both lacked a truly killer action sequence. Rises fixes that problem and has a whole slew of amazing action scenes, both vehicular and hand-to-hand. The story, whilst not as clever as Knight's, still packs the usual Nolan punch and the emotions run higher than ever as the movie unfolds. Ultimately, The Dark Knight Rises ends Nolan's Batman trilogy on a high note and secures his franchise a spot in the archives of the all time greats. Expand
  7. Jul 27, 2012
    This year has been historic for comic book films. First we had The Avengers, the biggest collaberation of superheroes ever. Then we had The Amazing Spider-Man, the best origin story ever conceived for the character. Now we have The Dark Knight Rises, a film that not only ties loose ends for the Dark Knight era, but also becomes one of the most believably dark comic book films ever. Some ofThis year has been historic for comic book films. First we had The Avengers, the biggest collaberation of superheroes ever. Then we had The Amazing Spider-Man, the best origin story ever conceived for the character. Now we have The Dark Knight Rises, a film that not only ties loose ends for the Dark Knight era, but also becomes one of the most believably dark comic book films ever. Some of the best acting of the year comes from TDKR, and Bane is one of the best villains that has ever been pitted against Batman. Its one of the years best films. Expand
  8. Jul 25, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises has flaws, and it doesn't live up to the excitement of its predecessor. Yet, it has breathtaking action, dazzling visual effects, and is as emotionally powerful as the finale of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. It features incredible performances from Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotilliard, Michael Kane, and Tom Hardy who makes for a terrifying villain.The Dark Knight Rises has flaws, and it doesn't live up to the excitement of its predecessor. Yet, it has breathtaking action, dazzling visual effects, and is as emotionally powerful as the finale of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. It features incredible performances from Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotilliard, Michael Kane, and Tom Hardy who makes for a terrifying villain. With an amazing original score from Hans Zimmer and breathtaking,thrilling action; this makes for a satisfying and beautiful conclusion to one of the greatest trilogies ever put to film. I give this movie 98%. Expand
  9. Nov 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Dark Knight Rises is absolutely amazing and, in my opinion, the movie of the year. Yes, that means I thought it was even better than The Avengers which, in and of itself was also incredible. Batman Begins is still my favorite superhero movie of all-time but this film matchs The Dark Knight if not surpassing it by a hair. I'm big on plot and character development so that's the only potential negative I can give the first Dark Knight. It felt more like an action based movie and got away a bit from the development of the Bruce Wayne character. Well, this movie returns to furthering the development of the protagonist to a very in-depth level. Of course it also had the amazing plot development, action sequences, and dark realism of the first two that made this trilogy as a whole the best set of films in superhero history.

I'm not going to lie, I had some concerns about this movie going in. The first concern was the selection of Tom Hardy and Anne Hathaway as Bane and Selena Kyle/Catwoman, respectively. Well, just like Heath Ledger, these surprising selections turned out to be perfect for how the characters were portrayed. As villains go, Heath Ledger's Joker is still the best villain in cinema history as far as I'm concerned but Tom Hardy's Bane comes incredibly close. The only negative I would say here is that there were a few scattered moments where his dialogue was fairly difficult to understand. I think they could've cleaned that up a bit more. Now Catwoman, WOW! I thought Anne Hathaway did an absolutely amazing job here. I honestly think she was by far the best catwoman yet and I don't think she could've done a better job. Kudos to Christopher Nolan once more for seeing what so many other people couldn't.

As I said before, the action sequences were stunning as usual. There's nothing new there. One thing I will say that I loved, as with the first two, is how realistic they manage to keep a lot of the fighting and action scenes. Along with the overall darker tone, the realism has really made this series more enjoyable than ever. The ultimate judge for this movie, though, is how well the plot unravels before your eyes. The first two movies each had pretty intriguing twists and turns that were somewhat unexpected but they don't touch this one in that regard. The discoveries of the Talia al Ghul and Robin characters, Bane's origin and purpose, Catwoman's development (in addition to Batman's as mentioned prior), and all of the tie-ins that round out the trilogy were incredible. Plus, the way the ending unfolds in truly remarkable and writing it here just wouldn't do it justice. I will say this though; I can't wait for the next one, if and when they make it :)
  10. Mar 8, 2014
    Visually impressive, emotionally powerful, and well-plotted. This final installment has a slow start with too many new characters, but once it gets going, it's great. Ultimately, it's not as good as "The Dark Knight", but it's an excellent conclusion to an epic trilogy.
  11. Mar 24, 2013
    This not only an epic conclusion to Chris Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, it was an epic conclusion to a summer filled with excitment. Not only was the storyline and acting fantastic, two characters really stuck out. Bane and Catwoman. Tom Hardy really brings in the fear of Bane with his incredible acting and dark complection to a wonderful villan. Anne Hathaway showcase's a sexy cat who canThis not only an epic conclusion to Chris Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, it was an epic conclusion to a summer filled with excitment. Not only was the storyline and acting fantastic, two characters really stuck out. Bane and Catwoman. Tom Hardy really brings in the fear of Bane with his incredible acting and dark complection to a wonderful villan. Anne Hathaway showcase's a sexy cat who can kick some serious butt. She truly is one of the greatest actresses of 2012. Surprisingly, i thought it was better than "The Dark Knight", but that's just me. I think the story is more darker and engaging than Dark Knight, but the Joker (Heath Ledger) is still the greatest villan ever. Overall, it's a tremendous movie, GO SEE IT! Expand
  12. Mar 13, 2015
    Christopher Nolan's concluding vision of the legendary Caped Crusader may just possibly go down as one of the strongest closing chapter to any franchise in modern cinema. With it's top-notch performances, and action-packed set pieces, The Dark Knight Rises ends the franchise on a satisfying high note, delivering one of the most powerfully engrossing climaxes in recent memory.

The acting

The acting here, like in Nolan's other Batman flicks, is nothing short of phenomenal. Hardy, while not quite as memorable as Heath Ledger's Joker, gives the performance of his career as Bane. His haunting voice and intimidating muscular physique are only matched by his calmness toward the chaos he causes everywhere he strikes.

Although The Dark Knight Rises never truly reaches the same groundbreaking heights as its predecessor, I loved every minute of it. The fantastic storytelling, the gritty visuals, the brilliant character development. There's nothing here that isn't worthy of praise in my book. Nolan truly capped off his one-of-a-kind superhero trilogy in a way that no other director could've accomplished. Sure, the narrative can get a bit messy at times, but when compared to everything else, the film does right, it hardly matters. Honestly, I can't recommend this movie enough. For any fan of dark,gritty, action-packed filmmaking, this is an absolute must-see.
  13. Dec 7, 2012
    This film has seemed a lot better than the previous film.
  14. Jul 20, 2012
    Amazing really, Nolan close one of the best superhero sagas of all the time, that have amazing performances, the story and the development is really amazing. The performance of Christian Bale is really awesome, and the two new villians Tom Hardy and Anne Hathaway are really cool, the rest of the cast is very amazing. The movie is awesome, have a great end and yes is one of the best moviesAmazing really, Nolan close one of the best superhero sagas of all the time, that have amazing performances, the story and the development is really amazing. The performance of Christian Bale is really awesome, and the two new villians Tom Hardy and Anne Hathaway are really cool, the rest of the cast is very amazing. The movie is awesome, have a great end and yes is one of the best movies of this year. Expand
  15. Aug 27, 2012
    THE DARK KNIGHT RISES is an exciting, well-made, well-performed and well directed finale that Batman and Nolan fans will surely love this near flawless and worthy conclusion to the well loved franchise.
  16. Jun 10, 2013
    Action, Drama, Suspense, Excellent twist in a movie. Christopher Nolan is like the best director these days. The best series of batman with a great ending. Would like to watch another batman film from christopher nolan. Watched it twice in the cinema
  17. Nov 10, 2014
    The Dark Knight Rises is an immensely satisfying conclusion to The Dark Knight trilogy even though it doesn't really match up to the heights of its predecessor.
  18. Jun 29, 2014
    One of the most entertaining movies ever! Bane's voice is terrifying, Catwoman is hot and Batman is spectacular in his return to the cinema. This is a epic movie filled with plot twists, inspiring scenes and an intense soundtrack!
  19. Feb 4, 2013
    Bane was a much more effective villain for Batman than the Joker. He was calculating and had much bigger designs, and was too smart for Batman (but then again so was Joker), not to mention his superiority in physical strength and fighting skill. I enjoyed his every scene. The best thing about Rises was that the character of Batman was actually developed compared to what pathetic littleBane was a much more effective villain for Batman than the Joker. He was calculating and had much bigger designs, and was too smart for Batman (but then again so was Joker), not to mention his superiority in physical strength and fighting skill. I enjoyed his every scene. The best thing about Rises was that the character of Batman was actually developed compared to what pathetic little time he was allowed in the previous movie to get a chance to appear as a human. The plot was relentless and kept me on the edge. Some convenient plot jumps appeared on second viewing, such as Batman's return from the prison to an occupied Gotham. Expand
  20. Jul 20, 2012
    There is no other super hero film quite like it! Not only is it realistic but it becomes something more art. Under analysis this film does extremely well with allusions to the french revolution among other things. Nolan creates a mood of over arching dread and depression in a way I feel like I've never seen before. As pure entertainment it thrills. As a piece of art it engages with it'sThere is no other super hero film quite like it! Not only is it realistic but it becomes something more art. Under analysis this film does extremely well with allusions to the french revolution among other things. Nolan creates a mood of over arching dread and depression in a way I feel like I've never seen before. As pure entertainment it thrills. As a piece of art it engages with it's numerous techniques that create a feeling of dread as well as being much deeper than that. Nolan may have made the best trilogy of all time. Recently I was extremely big on the amazing spider man but this film does everything it did and so much more. You will not see a better film this year! I guarantee it. Expand
  21. Jul 20, 2012
    Just when i didn't think it was possible, i was proven wrong. "The Dark Knight Rises" tops "The Dark Knight". Wow, talk about an amazing film. Amazing performances all around. Definitely the best goes to Tom Hardy and his exceptional work as Bane, while being excellent, he still wasn't as good as Heath Ledgers job as "The Joker" though, but Bane was still bada$$. Christopher Nolan is aJust when i didn't think it was possible, i was proven wrong. "The Dark Knight Rises" tops "The Dark Knight". Wow, talk about an amazing film. Amazing performances all around. Definitely the best goes to Tom Hardy and his exceptional work as Bane, while being excellent, he still wasn't as good as Heath Ledgers job as "The Joker" though, but Bane was still bada$$. Christopher Nolan is a genius and a mastermind. He has just created the best trilogy ever! I'm sad to see it end but at the same time i have to give a hand for Mr. Nolan and the amazing work he has done and its a good thing he doesn't overdo it and he knows that, one of the reasons why he "ends" it with "The Dark Knight Rises". Whether you're a Batman fan or not, you simply must enjoy this film because it is a pure stroke of genius. Everybody needs to witness this awesome, pulse-pounding, heartracing, and exciting film. Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon Levitt (who was amazing especially) Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, and Michael Caine all had outstanding performances in this movie. This movie in every sense of a way deserves a 10/10. The Dark Knight Rises will leave you with your mind completely blown, and the people who have already seen it know exactly why i say this. Now stop reading this review and go witness Christopher Nolans latest and last Masterpiece of our favorite vigilante "The Batman". Expand
  22. Jul 26, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises even with its flaws, it's the most charming on franchise. Nolan concludes The Dark Knight legend in spectacular fashion with ambitious direction, thoughtful and top-notch performance.
  23. Dec 17, 2013
    The Dark Knight Rises is an immensely satisfying conclusion to The Dark Knight trilogy although it doesn't really match up to the heights of its predecessor.
  24. Jul 27, 2012
    A perfect way to end the Epic Trilogy . The Nolan Batman Adventure ends with a very unique way . The story doesn't goes around a end plot it makes the plot through the end . The films silent philological weather was superb . Although it failed to pass TDR im gonna say its like Godfather 2. Never seen a superhero struggle this much to band the bad guys.
    Bale as batman is undoubtedly superb
    Bale as batman is undoubtedly superb . I never thought Bane would pass Joker and i stand corrected . But Tom did really good as Bane . the voice and the body language was superb. The hand to hand combat with Batman was one of THE best scene i have ever seen .
    Anne as catwoman !!! To me Michelle Pfeiffer will always be the best Cat but Anne did surprisingly well the i thought she would. To me she was the shock in the films charterers. and no matter how they said i still knew that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is Robin and Marion Cotillard is Talia al Ghul. So that wasn't shock to me but that little child was Talia that came quiet a shock to me .
    Christopher Nolan direction is super as always but he did better in Inception and TDK.
    Im not that sad to see the end of Nolans batman coz he ended it so amazingly but I hope the next batman film would be more like Batman Arkham City .
  25. Jul 8, 2014
    The final film with our beloved Batman is both awesome, stunning and furious.

The final film with our beloved Batman is both awesome, stunning and furious.

Just as The Dark Knight, we have another incredible well made movie from Christopher Nolan and he keeps me heavily entertained. Just as the previous film, it suffers with a slow amount of action and to much conversations, but in the end is The Dark Knight Rises a hell of a movie, and it might have one of the best endings I’ve ever seen.

Not as stunning as The Dark Knight, but it's still a masterpiece.

The Dark Knight Rises gets a 9/10
  26. BKM
    Jul 21, 2012
    Christopher Nolan's conclusion to his Dark Knight trilogy miraculously lives up to the hype that began following the phenomenal success of 2008's The Dark Knight. This time Batman squares off against Bane, a beefy tank of a villain intent on bringing Gotham to its knees. There's a lot going on in this movie; a plethora of characters to keep up with, eye popping visual effects, a myriadChristopher Nolan's conclusion to his Dark Knight trilogy miraculously lives up to the hype that began following the phenomenal success of 2008's The Dark Knight. This time Batman squares off against Bane, a beefy tank of a villain intent on bringing Gotham to its knees. There's a lot going on in this movie; a plethora of characters to keep up with, eye popping visual effects, a myriad of themes and emotions. Yet Nolan manages to blend them all together for one heck of a ride. The Dark Knight Rises is a summer blockbuster with brains, heart and ambition. It is also one of the best films of the year. Expand
  27. Feb 23, 2013
    While probably not quite on a par with The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, bigger and darker than the previous instalments, is certainly worthy of being the closing chapter to Christopher Nolan excellent Dark Knight trilogy.

From the awesome opening plane hijack stunt that introduces Bane, the film is littered with action sequences and really is one huge spectacle. On top of the action, the film is balanced by the soul-searching and recovery of Bruce Wayne, not once but twice as well as reasonably well handled themes of social equality.

Tom Hardy brings an intensity to Bane, a different, more physically imposing intensity than Heath Ledger's Joker, and the character is certainly an improvement on the previous portrayal of Bane (Batman Robin!). He is given the best lines of the script to deliver through his menacing mask-affected voice. Anne Hathway plays Selina Kyle (never referred to as Catwoman), and here is where I have an issue with the Nolan brothers. I was intrigued how they would adapt Catwoman into their Dark Knight universe, and for me it was a let down. She is not the true villain of the comics, instead she is pitched as an ambiguous distraction from the battle with Bane, chasing anonymity from her thieving background and willing to side with whoever can grant it to her.

At 165 minutes, TDKR is stretching the limits of an action film run time but managed to keep my attention. Some of the film's plot holes have earned some attention from critics, the only one I had a problem with was how Wayne got back to Gotham with no money, connections and with the city under lock-down. I imagine Christopher Nolan must have spent many night wondering how to conclude his trilogy. Leave it open ended? Retire Batman? Kill Batman? Anyway, his decision worked for me (despite the ending having remarkable parallels to 2011's Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows).
  28. Jul 20, 2012
    Poor TDKR. A lot of film nerds website are dissing this film; and also as of the time of writing of this review, the world mourns the death of 12 or so patrons who were killed in a premiere of TDKR in Colorado...TDKR starts up as a film with the most to lose from this incident. But the big question is: can TDKR fulfills the incredible expectations that surrounds it? No. Is is a greatPoor TDKR. A lot of film nerds website are dissing this film; and also as of the time of writing of this review, the world mourns the death of 12 or so patrons who were killed in a premiere of TDKR in Colorado...TDKR starts up as a film with the most to lose from this incident. But the big question is: can TDKR fulfills the incredible expectations that surrounds it? No. Is is a great super hero film? Yes. Not as great as TDK but better than Batman Begins. It is surprisingly the most 'comic book'-ish of the Nolan trilogy, with twists, revelations and storyline in line with its source material. Great cinematography and superb technical detail, great soundtrack (albeit a bit overbearing), and most important of all, some great action sequences. I dunno about you though, I feel that Anne Hathaway's Catwoman is the most accurate portrayal of the character ever filmed. Tom Hardy's Bane is not as interesting as the Joker (thanks to Ledger's supreme performance) but he is still a menacing villain. The biggest weakness: one of the plot point during the climax is a little bit too similar of a recent mega blockbuster of late. Nolan also creates too many characters and plot points: it lacks the efficiency and focus of his previous works such as Inception and yes, TDK itself. Worth seeing, but the TDK is still the best comic book film of all time. Lower your expectations a bit, film nerds!! Expand
  29. Aug 22, 2012
    Let me begin the review with this statement: THIS IS THE BEST SUPERHERO FILM MADE SO FAR! I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me because of the Dark Knight and the idiots are going to call the Avengers the best film but forget it, they're just idiots. I have been waiting since 2008 and have watched the first two films almost a hundred times and after watching this third film,Let me begin the review with this statement: THIS IS THE BEST SUPERHERO FILM MADE SO FAR! I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me because of the Dark Knight and the idiots are going to call the Avengers the best film but forget it, they're just idiots. I have been waiting since 2008 and have watched the first two films almost a hundred times and after watching this third film, I can clearly say that it was worth waiting for! The amount of anticipation and that hype it created was too enormous and it all got paid off. Nobody has ever made superhero films like Christopher Nolan, hence this trilogy is the best superhero trilogy. The acting, the direction, the screenplay, the cinematography, the production design, the costumes, the CGIs, the great cast and not releasing it in 3D being one of the most important things; everything about this film was flawless. Moving on to this film, the epic conclusion, I have no words to explain how happy I felt after watching it. Christian Bale's performance as Batman was mesmerizing as ever. And the way Tom Hardy performed as Bane was just astounding, he kept me terrified throughout the film especially after taking over Gotham city. Another important thing to notice was Bane's character, I read somewhere a couple of days ago that it is a superhero film without a superhero, and this is correct. This film focused more on Bane and the Gotham city. Another interesting part was when Bane actually broke Batman's back and sent him to prison, and then Batman rises again and comes back to save his city, that bit was too awesome. Anne Hathaway shined as Catwoman, I liked her performance as well as Joseph Gordon-Levitt's. Every single person in this film did more than amazing and turned it into a masterpiece. Hats off to Christopher Nolan for giving us a masterpiece, a trilogy that would be remembered for centuries. I would really like if this film gets all the big nominations in the Academy Awards and actually wins the Best Picture. This would be the best thing ever! Expand
  30. Jul 21, 2012
    A great film which was the culmination of a fantastic trilogy. The first half an hour or so was pretty slow but the pace quickened up towards the end.
  31. Jul 22, 2012
    Nolan wraps up his trilogy in a satisfying way, despite some glaring thematic issues. The film's production values were predictably outstanding and especially stunning in (real) IMAX. But I thought most of the anti-government/wall street/1% percent rhetoric fell flat. It just seemed clumsy and not fully realized. That being said, the film is wildly entertaining and a mostly worthyNolan wraps up his trilogy in a satisfying way, despite some glaring thematic issues. The film's production values were predictably outstanding and especially stunning in (real) IMAX. But I thought most of the anti-government/wall street/1% percent rhetoric fell flat. It just seemed clumsy and not fully realized. That being said, the film is wildly entertaining and a mostly worthy conclusion to the trilogy. Expand
  32. Jul 30, 2012
    There's a particular idea thrown around in Hollywood these days. Large-scale blockbusters that were created with a budget of millions of dollars seem to be praised for the sake of it, claiming the effort that was put into the film was what made it successful, rather than how much money was put into such a project. Of course, that doesn't mean to say that every blockbuster is veiled asThere's a particular idea thrown around in Hollywood these days. Large-scale blockbusters that were created with a budget of millions of dollars seem to be praised for the sake of it, claiming the effort that was put into the film was what made it successful, rather than how much money was put into such a project. Of course, that doesn't mean to say that every blockbuster is veiled as clever and breath-taking. The Dark Knight didn't resort to such cheesiness. With actors and actresses like that, the plot became a rainbow of viewpoints. It might feel over complicated, it might pretend to look clever, but with the introduction of new characters and continuation with previous ones, it takes into account the usefulness of each of their contribution to the plot. We gained an unusual power balance and for once, we discovered how different it felt for Bruce Wayne to not have the upper hand for longer than we expected, which was fresh. Not all blockbusters can create multiple characters and remember to include them so they feel part of it - sometimes directors neglect certain characters that could be important to the story. I loved the perception of Bane to create a politically and socially fuelled attack on the rich which was executed with such precision. It wasn't all out action - emotional aspects of action films need to be performed quite carefully and we were given a deeper and darker meaning within the film, rather than not having to explain things and so take them at face value. Christian Bale could be the only possible one to pull off such insecurity and determination, no one could look like they had another side that was properly executed, or be empathised with better. The acting was brilliant and the atmosphere gave you whatever feeling you were seeing on the screen. It wasn't at all dragged out, which I worry about with these particular lengths of film. What I didn't like about the film was the beginning, which often just peters out at the beginning of films as it just wants to get on with the film. Directors and writers shouldn't be afraid that the beginning will just go on too long so they miss out on such great achievements with the rest of the film. It also took so long for something proper to happen that Nolan usually pulls off with the Batman films. Talking isn't a problem - it's if you talk continuously and try to form the idea in a clever way when it doesn't work. In some parts, this film did try to look clever, but it tried in a particular way that is attributed to these sort of films, instead of 'hey look, I'm looking all meaningful and clever, in your face' kind of way, where you actually knew that it was pretending to be clever. In the meantime, despite some of these flaws, which you could perhaps think are significant, didn't stop it being one of the greatest films of all time. The pros majorly outweighed the cons, but what was the best attributes to this film was the mind-blowing acting of Christian Bale, where, despite being THE main character, didn't take first position in screen-time. He let other people have a chance, and director Christopher Nolan certainly helped create this film to be so breath-taking in personality as well as looks. Expand
  33. Apr 19, 2014
    A great, great movie. Not as good as the dark knight in my opinion but still one of my all time favourite movies. Awesome fight scenes especially including bane and just the right amount of dialogue in it too. And the ending is absolutely amazing and one of the best endings to a movie I have ever seen. Can't wait for the next Batman movie.
  34. Oct 18, 2014
    It has been eight years since Batman vanished into the night, turning, in that instant, from hero to fugitive. Assuming the blame for the death of D.A. Harvey Dent, the Dark Knight sacrificed everything for what he and Commissioner Gordon both hoped was the greater good. For a time the lie worked, as criminal activity in Gotham City was crushed under the weight of the anti-crime Dent Act.It has been eight years since Batman vanished into the night, turning, in that instant, from hero to fugitive. Assuming the blame for the death of D.A. Harvey Dent, the Dark Knight sacrificed everything for what he and Commissioner Gordon both hoped was the greater good. For a time the lie worked, as criminal activity in Gotham City was crushed under the weight of the anti-crime Dent Act. But everything will change with the arrival of a cunning cat burglar with a mysterious agenda. Far more dangerous, however, is the emergence of Bane, a masked terrorist whose ruthless plans for Gotham drive Bruce out of his self-imposed exile. Expand
  35. Jul 27, 2012
    I say the movie is more 8.5 total. Better than "The Amazing Spiderman". Not as good as the second movie in this new batman trilogy. I feel the movie drags a bit in the beginning. The story relates to the first one with no real mention of the Joker for obvious reasons and is difficult to follow at times. But overall the movie very satisfying and is a great ride. The acting is superb allI say the movie is more 8.5 total. Better than "The Amazing Spiderman". Not as good as the second movie in this new batman trilogy. I feel the movie drags a bit in the beginning. The story relates to the first one with no real mention of the Joker for obvious reasons and is difficult to follow at times. But overall the movie very satisfying and is a great ride. The acting is superb all around and the plot actually believable to an extent. See this movie if you haven't already. Expand
  36. Aug 6, 2012
    What I Like To Call
    Movie Of The Year
  37. Aug 5, 2013
    Christopher Nolan puts an explosive exclamation mark on his incredible Batman trilogy. It's rare that trilogies succeed all the way through, but this movie ends the trilogy in hauntingly memorable fashion with all the emotion, terror and heroism that defines the caped crusader and the world around him.
  38. Aug 13, 2012
    If I was to call The Dark Knight (2008) a cinematic masterpiece then what would The Dark Knight Rises be? I call it the best superhero film ever made and a more than fitting end to the TDK trilogy that Christopher Nolan has formed. After the death of Rachel in TDK Bruce has hung up his cape and hides away in his manor. With Dent dead criminals are now locked up quicker than ever thanks toIf I was to call The Dark Knight (2008) a cinematic masterpiece then what would The Dark Knight Rises be? I call it the best superhero film ever made and a more than fitting end to the TDK trilogy that Christopher Nolan has formed. After the death of Rachel in TDK Bruce has hung up his cape and hides away in his manor. With Dent dead criminals are now locked up quicker than ever thanks to the Harvey Dent protocol established by Jim Gordon. However one man knows the secret about Dent, a terrorist by the name of Bane. Bane reveals the truth about Dent thereby setting free all of Gotham's prisoners. Batman must once again rise to the challenge and stop this madman calling for allies of the likes of Catwoman, Robin and his massive armoury that he has amassed over the year for a fight that will bring both you and Gotham City to its knees. Expand
  39. Mar 26, 2015
    9.5/10................................................................................................................................................
  40. Sep 2, 2012
    The plot of the film is not very complex but is the way in which it was structured that makes the whole magnificent. I loved how they were treated the characters and each plays a primary role in the film (including Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who I thought he would have a marginal role but ...). They talked about all the characters without skipping one. Fantastic as always Christian Bale,The plot of the film is not very complex but is the way in which it was structured that makes the whole magnificent. I loved how they were treated the characters and each plays a primary role in the film (including Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who I thought he would have a marginal role but ...). They talked about all the characters without skipping one. Fantastic as always Christian Bale, Michael Cayne (including I loved their relation as if they were their own family), Gary Oldam and all the actors of the original cast. Of the new entries I absolutely adored Anne Hathaway in the role of Selina Kyle where it was very good and I have to say maybe even better than Michelle Pfeiffer. Then Tom Hardy who plays Bane was formidable. Him, because of the mask, had to play with eyes and it was fabulous. In his eyes he read the intelligence of Bane (not like Batman and Robin) and looking at him he seemed to be always thinking of a strategy. Wonderful action scenes that, with marvelous special effects, leaves the audience speechless. The other things that surprised me were all the metaphors used in the film that you can not help but see and I liked a lot. I must say that some hole in the script there but nothing that bothers. One thing that some said is that in the film the time passed too quickly, which is not true because if you listen to the movie you can see how time has passed and you realize that there was a time jump to the plot. So for me the film is truly a masterpiece and would recommend to everyone, fan or not, going to see it because it's worth it. Expand
  41. Oct 27, 2013
    this is undoubtely the best super heroe movie ever made so far,it don´t have a markable acting as heath ledger but still have an amazing story and great characters.
  42. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is Dark Knight's equal. The production values are every bit as stellar, if not better for our time. The characters are very memorable and exciting. I was skeptical about the inclusion of Bane, but what a great and unique choice he ended up being. The soundtrack is the best in the series and the story might be too. I can't recommend this film enough and if you'reThe Dark Knight Rises is Dark Knight's equal. The production values are every bit as stellar, if not better for our time. The characters are very memorable and exciting. I was skeptical about the inclusion of Bane, but what a great and unique choice he ended up being. The soundtrack is the best in the series and the story might be too. I can't recommend this film enough and if you're remotely into movies you should see it. Expand
  43. Sep 22, 2012
    Thanks to powerful performances, exciting action, and a thrilling script with one of the best endings every in a movie series, The Dark Knight Rises effectively and epically ends Christopher Nolan's masterful Dark Knight trilogy.
  44. Jul 21, 2012
    From the incredible opening sequence to the jaw-dropping finale, The Dark Knight Rises is incredible. It falters briefly in the beginning, which is mostly dialogue, but it instantly picks up the pace and ends beautifully, giving a very satisfying conclusion to an epic trilogy.
  45. Jul 21, 2012
    '' The Dark Knight Rises '' is a satisfying end to this amazing trilogy. There are so many good things about this movie, that it's almost flawless. It had good acting, great story, character development, everything. In my opinion, I think that '' The Dark Knight '' was a little bit better, maybe because of the Joker, but whatever. Anyway, it's so rare to see a trilogy so great, without one'' The Dark Knight Rises '' is a satisfying end to this amazing trilogy. There are so many good things about this movie, that it's almost flawless. It had good acting, great story, character development, everything. In my opinion, I think that '' The Dark Knight '' was a little bit better, maybe because of the Joker, but whatever. Anyway, it's so rare to see a trilogy so great, without one bad movie. Thank you Christopher Nolan for remaking and saving the Batman movies (we all remember the terrible '' Batman and Robin '' (1997)). People shouldn't really compare it with '' The Avengers '', because there are both great superhero movies. '' The Avengers '' had better action, '' The Dark Knight Rises '' had a more interesting story, that's all I'm saying . The only bad aspect I can think of this movie is that some moments were long and a little bit boring, but otherwise it's enjoyable. It definitely lives up to the hype. When the film finished, the audience applauded. Expand
  46. May 10, 2013
    I really loved this movie, everything about it is perfect, the plot is well tied, the acting is excelent, the ending is fantastic, the action scenes that are more abundantly aparencem very well made​​, and closes with style this epic trilogy.
  47. Jul 30, 2012
    Absolutely unbelievable as you will not be able to take your eyes off the screen especially whenever Bane appears. He is deliciously evil. This flick has a shot although a comic book action movie to be nominated for BEST PICTURE. Strong supporting cast that work very well together. Go see and enjoy.
  48. Dec 25, 2012
    An awesome finale to the series. Not as good as "The Avengers" or "The Amazing Spider-man", but still a very good superhero movie. The best plot and action in the whole series, and the most twists and turns which will glue your eyes to the TV screen. Without a doubt among the best movies in all of 2012.
  49. Jul 2, 2013
    As one of the most eagerly anticipated movies of recent times The Dark Knight Rises arrived carrying huge expectations following the hugely successful and a genuine modern great, The Dark Knight. So, the big question.. Does it deliver and live up to the hype? Absolutely! The Dark Knight Rises is quite simply sensational. There will be many debating whether it's better than The Dark Knight,As one of the most eagerly anticipated movies of recent times The Dark Knight Rises arrived carrying huge expectations following the hugely successful and a genuine modern great, The Dark Knight. So, the big question.. Does it deliver and live up to the hype? Absolutely! The Dark Knight Rises is quite simply sensational. There will be many debating whether it's better than The Dark Knight, personally i'd say it's on par perhaps slightly edging ahead but nonetheless it's no crime as The Dark Knight was a classic. The film itself picks up 8 years on, where Batman has gone into exile and Gotham is prospering under the newly found peace. However, the emergence of a thief, Selina Kyle (Anne Hathaway) catches Bruce Wayne's attention but it's only with the arrival of the terrorist, a mercenary Bane (Tom Hardy) that Bruce's alter ego is forced back into action. The opening sequence to this movie is magnificent!! It introduces the villain, Bane, in fantastic fashion. The scene is superb and immediately establishes the character. Tom Hardy faced an almost impossible taking on the villainous Bane after Heath Ledger's inconic performance as The Joker but he delivers an absolutely amazing performance! He's genuinely outstanding. Bane is big, bold and brutal but clearly a mastermind and given the fact he wears the 'mask' Hardy is truly tremendous. The performance is sold through his eyes, he makes Bane such an intriguing mesmerising antagonist. His voice caused controversy but he makes it such a pivotal part of the character. It's genius in all honesty! I never thought it would be possible to surpass The Joker but Bane is easily my favourite film of the trilogy. Anne Hathaway also excels as Catwoman. She encapsulates the character of Selina Kyle perfectly whether it's the fake fragile and innocent side or the sexy bad ass, Hathaway oozes class. Tops the original Catwoman for me. She is superb! Jospeh Gordon-Levitt also comes on board and rookie cop John Blake but ends up playing a massive part of the film. Marion Cotillard also has a small but vital role is environmentalist Miranda Tate. And last but not least, Christian Bale. The best Batman ever no doubt and cements his legacy as the Caped Crusader with his best outing yet. TDKR is by far the most emotional of all 3 of Nolan's films. In many ways it's inspiring just like Batman intended to be and there's one iconic and legendary scene in the film that all true Batman fans will appreciate. The breaking of the Bat! It actually left the cinema in silence and many mouths a gasp. It was expertly delivered. The action however is where this film is an unbelievable triumph. It's a blockbuster in every sense of the word. The scale and set-pieces are taken to new heights. It's glorious and leads to a stunning and spectacular finish with all out war in Gotham! Nolan has always been a master at storytelling and he truly cements this in the closing chapter, it's full of suspense and anxiety and that's where this movie thrives! He is a genius at work, when was the last time you actually believed a superhero could die? In it's own right it's an absolute colossal movie. Absolutely awesome throughout even with the 2hr 45mins running time, time never stops it's an entrhalling, exhilariting, emotionally driven action blockbuster that's utterly unmissable. EPIC! Serving as a conclusion to Nolan's trilogy this is film making of the highest calibre. He succeeds in every depertment and brings The Dark Knight full circle. It touches on everything that's gone before all the way back to Batman Begins and leaves you in awe of what he has managed to achieve and accomplish with these 3 films. He has turned Batman into a household franchise once again. Christopher Nolan has taken the Dark Knight to exceptional new heights! He has given us the greatest superhero trilogy ever to be assembled. Whoever assumes the reigns will have a monumental task! Expand
  50. Mar 24, 2013
    Finally, after four years of waiting, we were able to enjoy the long-awaited end of the masked hero's incredible trilogy of the amazing Mr. Nolan.
    I thought that would outsell its predecessor epic The Dark Knight, but it's obvious the series, it was not, but the movie itself is very good.
    Sadly, the film is very scattered and disjointed, the weakest of the three in the section of the script, do not understand what your goal, which meant the goal of Bane is too absurd, too much work for you all to focus on revenge rather limited, meanwhile, the goal of Talia no sense, because it was destroyed to make Batman see his dream and that people show their true colors, but this dream was not destroyed after five months, only is about to destroy the city with the pump and that's it .
    Plot was simple, the former was glorious in that aspect.
    Batman recovered if it was Rocky and suddenly the cops are released from the sewers, join him as having been buried for a day, why not have the effect of staying five months underground without any hygiene without sick and ready for combat?, that there is as swallowing.
    The scene of the well is very good but has a good error,
    seem a paid vacation to a spiritual retreat to recover, then nothing happens, the inmates give advice, not cure, do not mess with him, are limited to support for leaving What the hell is going on in this movie?
    Among many things can be seen in the film, the rating I give them doubtful result, but despite its flaws script, is highly recommended, the performances are very good, the direction of Mr. Nolan is still epic.
    Not as I expected, really, but as you guessed, Mr. Nolan did not disappoint. The Dark Knight Rises shows the greatness of christhoper nolan to direct monumental works of film and proves once again, the true greatness of this character. My Score: 9.5
  51. Jan 11, 2015
    Yet another amazing Batman film that drags out of some parts but otherwise delivers amazing action sequences and spectacular special effects along with the new rival Bane. This film contains perhaps the best plot of the trilogy.
  52. Jul 28, 2012
    Again, like the dark knight, this is a spectacular movie. It's insanely good, It's at least as good as the dark knight, it may even be better, but I'm not sure, the dark knight has the joker, which is not just the best villain, but was portrayed incredibly well by Heath Ledgers, he was a brilliant actor. But there was some great acting in this film, like Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne. TheAgain, like the dark knight, this is a spectacular movie. It's insanely good, It's at least as good as the dark knight, it may even be better, but I'm not sure, the dark knight has the joker, which is not just the best villain, but was portrayed incredibly well by Heath Ledgers, he was a brilliant actor. But there was some great acting in this film, like Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne. The action is immensely tense and exciting to watch, it has a very interesting plot that has a few shocking twists, a good, well-written dialogue, and yes, it has a very satisfying ending. It totally deserves a 10/10! Expand
  53. Jul 30, 2012
    I heard from every critic I follow that the movie was good, but not great, and I must say that I disagree with those critics. all the plot inconsistencies they found, I did not. the movie has a kick-ass final act, and although Bane is not the Joker, I think he's still a scary and interesting villain.
  54. Jun 18, 2013
    While there is some comic inaccuracies more notable in this film than the first two. DKR is an amazing conclusion to the best Batman films yet. Tom Hardy is outstanding as Bane, Gary Oldman is outstanding as Gordon, but it's Anne Hathaway who steals the show with a legendary performance as Catwoman.
  55. Jul 22, 2012
    Seen The Dark Knight Rises (TDKR) and I'll just come out with it.... Didn't think it was as good as The Dark Knight (TDK). It has built on TDK but the level of jump from 1 to 2 just couldn't be matched in the jump from 2 to 3. You can't improve perfection is all I'm saying. Also Heath Ledgers Joker was so good that no actor could come close to stealing the entire movie in TDKR. However itsSeen The Dark Knight Rises (TDKR) and I'll just come out with it.... Didn't think it was as good as The Dark Knight (TDK). It has built on TDK but the level of jump from 1 to 2 just couldn't be matched in the jump from 2 to 3. You can't improve perfection is all I'm saying. Also Heath Ledgers Joker was so good that no actor could come close to stealing the entire movie in TDKR. However its still brilliant, its just that TDK was brilliantly brilliant! Bane is just not The Joker. However in the Batman V Bane fights he is better as you actually fear for the caped crusader. Catwoman is a great new character. The scope of TDKR is also bigger with elements of faith, idealism, social revolution. Were TDKR actually beats TDK is emotion, the Bruce Wayne and Alfred scenes are great and if the ending doesn't give you goosebumps you don't deserve to be alive! Expand
  56. May 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Talk about hype, last time I checked this was one of the most hyped movies of 2012, and it had quite an impression on most people. Some said it was bad, that it was the worst one of the whole trilogy, and one of Nolan's worst movies. By those words it seems like this is a really bad movie, but this is really just the minority speaking when in actuality this is certainly an enjoyable picture. Probably one of the most exciting facts about this film was that Bane; a iconic Batman villain from the comics, would be the major villain. They got an actor named Tom Hardy to play as him; from one Nolan's previous films Inception, and he gives quite a great performance. Some have said the fact of making Bane's voice sound like a British person; or whatever funny joke you can think of, is rather ridiculous and takes away any menace the character has. I think that it's a change in Nolan to switch up in the type of bad guys he puts in his film, he most likely didn't want to repeat himself with what he did in the dark knight; which is why the studios thought of just choosing the Riddler for the villain. Enough talk about the antagonist; that comes later, there are other performances in this movie that are good, Christian Bale is probably at his best here; the voice doesn't help at all, giving settlety to the scene he's in at the right time. Anne Hathaway as Catwoman; actually I don't know if they actually refer to her as Catwoman, but she's a likeable character even though she's doing such devious deeds. Now for the story, I'm just going to say it right now: this film is not as good as the last one, and it shouldn't come to anyone's surprise. it's just too hard for filmmakers to keep a good pace of great ideas and direction to make every film in their franchise good or better than the last one. With that out of the way, the story for this one is interesting to say the least, not as "realistic" as the last one, but it sure is reminiscent of a story I love: Akira, in how a part of the world is cut off from society. Throughout the story it does at times border being bad, talking about a bomb that will go off in 6 months, you just have to ask yourself: WHY? This film really wanted to show Batman/Wayne at his lowest, which seems to be a common thing with comic book movie now a days, and I think it does this well; even I personally think the series is better than this, and it is not a negative thing at all. This film is cruel at times for what it does to characters; like I said previously, which can turn some people off and make them want to watch the Avengers. The ending is what upsets many and myself about this film, first off: Bane is actually a handyman for the real villain,..blow me. Batman escapes a nuke, that sentence alone shows how non-sensible this is. Despite that stupid ending, this is a great film, extremely well made and directed. Sure I wish there were some changes, but I'm happy with what we got. Expand
  57. Jul 20, 2012
    Saw it last night. In a Marathon of the other two. One of the best movies that I have seen in a very, very long time. The words Masterpiece could pretty easily be used. I saw the entire trilogy back to back. As a whole, Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy is greater then the sum of its parts. It is the engrossing tragedy of Bruce Wayne. The last hour or so is just completely non-stop. GutSaw it last night. In a Marathon of the other two. One of the best movies that I have seen in a very, very long time. The words Masterpiece could pretty easily be used. I saw the entire trilogy back to back. As a whole, Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy is greater then the sum of its parts. It is the engrossing tragedy of Bruce Wayne. The last hour or so is just completely non-stop. Gut wrenching and emotional. I wont tell you what happens at the end, but I was damn near tears.

What everyone is wondering is whether it is better then The Dark Knight. There is no better or worse, it is just different. As a villain, the Joker represented unplanned, unhinged chaos. As he put it, he is a dog just chasing a car, with no thoughts of what will happen when he gets it. Bane represents the same evil, harnessed with a plan. He knows exactly what he is going to do. The best way that I could describe Bane is as a mix between Hannibal Lecter and the Hulk. On the outside, a complete and utter savage brute. But in his mind, he is incredibly crafty, witty, and cordial in an odd way.

My highest recommendations goes out for this film. It was an experience watching it, and it easily is the best film of the year.
  58. Aug 15, 2012
    'Rises' doesn't quite live up to the legacy of the film by which all superhero films are compared to (TDK) but delivers enough spectacle, emotional depth, epic scope to Nolan's Universe and brooding tone to define itself proudly as the operatic final chapter to a trilogy which masterfully leaped beyond the apparent boudaries of a comic-book film. Nolan's changed things - forever.
  59. May 4, 2014
    The Dark Knight Trilogy makes it to the finish line, bucking the system of many superhero trilogies, along with a couple of high-profiled ones as well.
  60. Jun 27, 2013
    This is definitely the most action packed of the Batman trilogy, and I can't complain. The action is fronted by the new villain, Bane, who is both interesting and destructive.
    It's an excellent movie and a great end to the trilogy, however the dialogue in the movie is not very well written as compared to, say, the Dark Knight.

8.6/10
  61. May 3, 2014
    The Dark Knight Rises was one of the few successfull trilogies to have all three parts being enjoyable. While this sequel doesnt quite match the previous its still a fun ride and a great film. yes it has problems alot. but the overall effect and what the movie does right heavily outweighs the wrong. It is a great conclusion to the trilogy.
  62. May 12, 2013
    Its between The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. Better than Batman Begins but worse than the Dark Knight. I really liked the ending though.
  63. Jan 21, 2013
    I've seen every movie in this trilogy, The dark knight is best movie. This is an very good superhero movie, very good directed by Christopher Nolan. I like everything in this movie, the cast, the story,....
    This is the best movie of 2012.
  64. Jul 23, 2012
    Nolan ends his Batman trilogy in spectacular. TDKR is on a much grander scale than before with much higher stakes. So it makes sense that this is the most action-heavy of the three. Above all else the movie is a definite crowd pleaser. It succeeds at being a blockbuster with a relentless pace and fantastic set pieces while also giving us characters with real depth and an engaging story.Nolan ends his Batman trilogy in spectacular. TDKR is on a much grander scale than before with much higher stakes. So it makes sense that this is the most action-heavy of the three. Above all else the movie is a definite crowd pleaser. It succeeds at being a blockbuster with a relentless pace and fantastic set pieces while also giving us characters with real depth and an engaging story. It may not match the bar set by The Dark Knight but it remains a more than fitting conclusion to the saga. Expand
  65. Jul 20, 2012
    SPOILER FREE REVIEW: There is no word grand enough to describe the closing film in the Dark Knight saga. Epic doesn't even come close. It is an experience that is truly transcendent for any big summer blockbuster, let alone a comic book adaptation. The movie is set 8 years after the previous film and in the new Gotham crime seems to no longer be the problem, however a new one has begunSPOILER FREE REVIEW: There is no word grand enough to describe the closing film in the Dark Knight saga. Epic doesn't even come close. It is an experience that is truly transcendent for any big summer blockbuster, let alone a comic book adaptation. The movie is set 8 years after the previous film and in the new Gotham crime seems to no longer be the problem, however a new one has begun to grow from the depths of Gotham's sewers, as an increasingly corrupt and greedy 1% take and take and leave nothing for the rest. It is set in a world that so closely resembles our own world in so many ways and Nolan touches on this subject in a way that no other big time director would dare to fathom, nor accomplish with such precision. Some will say that this film is a scathing rejection of socialism, when in fact it shows us the danger of ignoring social and economic injustice, which is at it's extreme a Russian style revolution. But politics and economics aside, the film is still wholly carried by it's intensity and its action, and the action is simply breathtaking. Nolan seems to be the only big budget director left who uses CGI only when absolutely necessary and the effect is very real and impressive, especially during the jaw dropping last 45 minutes of the film. The cast of The Dark Knight Rises is, I think, the best ever assembled for a Batman movie and the surprise best performance comes from Anne Hathaway who is fierce as Catwoman, but also surprisingly human and genuine. She embodies the message of the movie, showing us that all people can change and everyone should have a second chance. Tom Hardy's Bane is perhaps the most fearsome villain I've ever seen on the screen, even if he lacks the electricity that made Heath Ledger's performance in the Dark Knight so monumental. And then there is Marion Cotillard who, even though she wasn't given enough screen time, still managed to steal many of the scenes she was in. Joseph Gordon-Levitt gave a good performance as well, though I don't think he was given enough of a chance to show off his skills. The returning cast was all great as well, particularly Michael Cain. It is inevitable that this film will be compared in every way to it's towering predecessor, and in many ways The Dark Knight Rises is better. For example, the Screenplay seemed much tighter for this film and was almost 100% devoid of cliches that somewhat dogged the first one, and the amazing score by Hans Zimmer seemed to be more thrilling in this film. However, as a whole I think audiences will respond less to this one because of it's much more pensive nature. It doesn't all fly at you with lightning speed like The Dark Knight does. To fully appreciate this movie you have to be fully engaged and you have to come at it with an open mind and a willingness to want more than just a lot of action and violence. My only big complaint about this movie is that even though it was 2 hrs and 45 min long, it still felt to short. Expand
  66. Dec 30, 2012
    Epic conclusion indeed. Nolan had a great start to the trilogy and now he has a great end to the trilogy. It was however a little bit less exciting than I thought but who gives it was still awesome. Tom Hardy gives the performance of his not so great career and Anne Hathway is by far the best Catwoman I've ever seen. Bane was probably one of the most interesting villians ever. Instead ofEpic conclusion indeed. Nolan had a great start to the trilogy and now he has a great end to the trilogy. It was however a little bit less exciting than I thought but who gives it was still awesome. Tom Hardy gives the performance of his not so great career and Anne Hathway is by far the best Catwoman I've ever seen. Bane was probably one of the most interesting villians ever. Instead of the all-time insane Joker who kills to but fear in people's hearts, Bane humilates everyone in Gotham including Batman. John Blake in the very end is a brief hero but finds his true fate outside of the police force. Now that the trilogy is over though, I have to wonder what Nolan will do now? Expand
  67. Aug 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First things first, this is definitely not too long, I finished watching and still wanted more of the awesome action. It is not as dark as the Dark Knight, but is almost as good. The acting again (like the first two) is top-notch, with the Batman regulars all acting at their best alongside the new recruits (other than there were a couple of times when I didn't understand what was being said). Catwoman is pretty much perfect in the film, leaving me with a "Year One" taste lingering in my mouth afterwards and Bane was awesome, not Joker awesome but awesome enough, as you really do feel the power of Bane in his punches and character. However, there were a couple of things that just happened, firstly, when Alfred leaves, he just leaves with no more explanation (a minor fault really, as it is explained why he leaves). Secondly, Bane's death was just a little too... fast, but he did break Batman's back which is all kinds of good :) The film wasn't very complicated, and the ending was absolutely fantastic, perfectly rounding things off. While the film wasn't quite up to the incredibly high standards of its predecessor, it is by far the best film I have seen for two years (Toy Story 3 was the last "masterpiece" I saw in the cinema) and definitely lives up to the hype. The Dark Knight Rises is a perfect mix of Batman Begins and the Dark Knight and will (probably) be the best film released this year, so go watch it for goodness sake! Expand
  68. Aug 15, 2012
    This is the best summer blockbuster film of 2012 and I predicted nothing different. The direction, the story, the writing, and the action kept you wondering what would happen next for the 165 minutes of the film. I have seen both Avatar and The Dark Knight Rises which are both highly acclaimed films that run for 2 hours and 45 minutes and I was bored from Avatar, but the Dark Knight RisesThis is the best summer blockbuster film of 2012 and I predicted nothing different. The direction, the story, the writing, and the action kept you wondering what would happen next for the 165 minutes of the film. I have seen both Avatar and The Dark Knight Rises which are both highly acclaimed films that run for 2 hours and 45 minutes and I was bored from Avatar, but the Dark Knight Rises was awesome and never had any slight boredom while watching this film. Expand
  69. Jul 25, 2012
    The best superhero movie ever. The hands down best movie of the year... 10/10. Bane is an awesome villain, the ending is the best I've ever seen, and this is hands down the best superhero movie ever.
  70. Jul 27, 2012
    So far this is my favorite movie of 2012. Nolan's final masterpiece in his Batman series is nothing short of expectations. The score for this film is one the best in recent memory, and better than the previous batman movies. This time around the villain is Bane and Catwoman makes an appearance. Which honestly, I would have not mind if Selina Kyle was portrayed by someone else other thanSo far this is my favorite movie of 2012. Nolan's final masterpiece in his Batman series is nothing short of expectations. The score for this film is one the best in recent memory, and better than the previous batman movies. This time around the villain is Bane and Catwoman makes an appearance. Which honestly, I would have not mind if Selina Kyle was portrayed by someone else other than Hathaway. Either way her acting wasn't bad. And as for Bane, well he doesn't make half of a villain as Joker did. But at least Dr. Crane makes an appearance. Expand
  71. Sep 27, 2014
    Después de ver la segunda, esta puede parecer bastante inferior. Y lo es. Pero aun así, la disfruté mucho mas en su segundo visionado y creo que es una obra maestra del cine de superhéroes. Bane no es el joker, pero es un villano decente. El reparto, como siempre, sublime. Quizás le sobra duración pero es una gran película. El final me gustó mucho, una trilogía 10.
  72. Jan 23, 2013
    Not as good as the Dark Knight, this epic by Nolan is still a masterpiece. Everything is glorious - the filming, the action, the acting, but this time plotholes are present, and if you think about them, they're somewhat big. But those don't spoil the impression of the movie, especially if it's viewed in IMAX. Besides, most of the plotholes can be answered by simple "Because he's Batman!".Not as good as the Dark Knight, this epic by Nolan is still a masterpiece. Everything is glorious - the filming, the action, the acting, but this time plotholes are present, and if you think about them, they're somewhat big. But those don't spoil the impression of the movie, especially if it's viewed in IMAX. Besides, most of the plotholes can be answered by simple "Because he's Batman!". One of the strongest parts of the Batman stories is the villains. And Tom Hardy doesn't disappoint, his performance as Bane is amazing, considering he can't use his facial expressions due to the mask. I'm quite a fan of Nolan and his Dark Knight trilogy, so I might be exaggerating, but even though TDKR is worse than its predecessor, it is the best movie of summer 2012 and one of the best movies ever. Expand
  73. Aug 1, 2012
    Marvel finally gets a great superhero trilogy. The movie may not get the feeling that it's predecessor gave, because it is the final installement of the franchise, and it is the darkest and longest of them all. The acting was great. Christian Bale as usual a great Bruce Wayne/Batman and the new cast also delivers thrills. Tom Hardy is the perfect Bane and had a great storyline and MarionMarvel finally gets a great superhero trilogy. The movie may not get the feeling that it's predecessor gave, because it is the final installement of the franchise, and it is the darkest and longest of them all. The acting was great. Christian Bale as usual a great Bruce Wayne/Batman and the new cast also delivers thrills. Tom Hardy is the perfect Bane and had a great storyline and Marion Cotillard as a sexy yet misterious Miranda Tate. But the biggest surprise was Anne Hathaway, who is the best Catwoman on screen. She is Christopher Nolan's Selena Kyle/Catwoman, which means she will be a faithful version to the comics and although I don't read comic books i think she captures her personality. Her development as a character is also interesting and I would like for her to have a solo movie, directed by Christopher Nolan.
    A satysfying conclusion to a trilogy that has three movies critically acclaimed by die-hard fans and critics, thanks to Christopher Nolan,an excelent director.
  74. Oct 15, 2012
    Heath Ledger won best supporting actor for his role as The Joker. In my honest opinion, Heath Ledger completely stole the show, he was absolutely magnificent. For sure one of the greatest performances of all time, just such an incredibly talented actor. The Dark Knight Rises is the film event of the summer. A completely satisfying piece of filmmaking that delivers so much more, making forHeath Ledger won best supporting actor for his role as The Joker. In my honest opinion, Heath Ledger completely stole the show, he was absolutely magnificent. For sure one of the greatest performances of all time, just such an incredibly talented actor. The Dark Knight Rises is the film event of the summer. A completely satisfying piece of filmmaking that delivers so much more, making for an excellent sign off for one of cinema's finest trilogies. Expand
  75. Aug 10, 2012
    ths one of the wonderfull movies in this year and the actors are very good, in fact Anne Hathaway impressed me because she is very good in this movie i love her caracter and the end is fantastic
  76. Dec 29, 2014
    This is the best superhero movie i have seen.This is a good way to end the dark knight trilogy. It builds up slowly from batman's return from The Dark Knight and progresses to a very strong climax and has an unpredictable ending. All the directors and cast should be given full credit to the film.
  77. Dec 26, 2012
    How could people compare this to the Avengers? The Avengers was a kids movie with horribly bad writing, uninspired acting, and extremely convoluted action scenes. The Dark Knight Rises on the other hand did have inspired acting, a script that was above average for any action film, and was built around action that made sense, and was creative. The Dark Knight Rises was a perfect 10 out ofHow could people compare this to the Avengers? The Avengers was a kids movie with horribly bad writing, uninspired acting, and extremely convoluted action scenes. The Dark Knight Rises on the other hand did have inspired acting, a script that was above average for any action film, and was built around action that made sense, and was creative. The Dark Knight Rises was a perfect 10 out of 10 when compared to other films in the big, epic, action adventure genre. Add to this a story that ended the series perfectly, and I have to say that I was 100% satisfied by this film. The only reason that I am giving it a 9 instead of a 10 is because the script, as in all epic, action, adventure films, could have been better. Expand
  78. Oct 16, 2012
    Best movies I've seen in this year is Looper and batman the dark knight rises ,my all time favorite movie's are The Godfather (1972) .Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). Scarface (1983). GoodFellas (1990) . Raging Bull (1980) .Casino (1995) there masterpiece movies, what i don't like are the silly remakes why a new carrie movie ? this is the 4th movie carrie the made it's just stupid ,SissyBest movies I've seen in this year is Looper and batman the dark knight rises ,my all time favorite movie's are The Godfather (1972) .Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). Scarface (1983). GoodFellas (1990) . Raging Bull (1980) .Casino (1995) there masterpiece movies, what i don't like are the silly remakes why a new carrie movie ? this is the 4th movie carrie the made it's just stupid ,Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are absolutely perfect ,they both got Oscar nominations out of it, for God sake!. Rest in peace Heath Ledger you will never be forgotten Expand
  79. Jul 4, 2013
    A cinematic triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring and extremely satisfying as far as Nolan's Batman trilogy goes. It conquers all the doubts about this movie, its beautifully executed, very well written, impressively acted out, wonderfully shot and just downright good. DAMN ITS GOOD! It's the right way to end an epic trilogy. The antagonist was menacing and the movie cameA cinematic triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring and extremely satisfying as far as Nolan's Batman trilogy goes. It conquers all the doubts about this movie, its beautifully executed, very well written, impressively acted out, wonderfully shot and just downright good. DAMN ITS GOOD! It's the right way to end an epic trilogy. The antagonist was menacing and the movie came with a very well played out plot twist. The movie is just perfect, its without flaw, if there was one thing I could change about the movie, well........................there isn't anything I would change about this movie. And the acting! DUDE, THE ACTING!!!! Its just amazing, as always, Christian Bale kills it as Batman and Anne Hathaway as Catwoman! Need I say more? Go watch this movie, NOW!!! Expand
  80. May 17, 2015
    The epic end of The Dark Knight trilogy, despite the film being too long he's cool and engaging to the end, dark and realistic story, great action scenes, and great performance of the actors.
  81. Jul 26, 2014
    the dark knight rises is the epic conclusion to the dark knight trilogy like all the new batman movies it is very well made not as good as the dark knight but still very good.

my ratting 8.6/10 9.2/10 for action 8/10 for acting 8/10 for character development 8.5 for style and 8.7 for story
  82. Jul 20, 2012
    The shortest 3 hours of my life was taken up by one of the most awesome cinema spectacles of all time. An amalgamation of the themes of Begins and Dark Knight coupled with the theme of pain makes for one of the most intense, emotional, harrowing and most of all - surprising films made, and arguably, the strongest in the franchise. Great performances all round, especially from Tom Hardy,The shortest 3 hours of my life was taken up by one of the most awesome cinema spectacles of all time. An amalgamation of the themes of Begins and Dark Knight coupled with the theme of pain makes for one of the most intense, emotional, harrowing and most of all - surprising films made, and arguably, the strongest in the franchise. Great performances all round, especially from Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon Levitt and Michael Caine. Expand
  83. Sep 17, 2012
    To call this movie breathtaking would be an insult, as this movie is so much more. This is the stuff William Lincoln was dreaming of back in 1867 when he watched moving drawings rush by through a simple slit cut into a spinning wheel. This film is the trophy of the American film industry's undisputed triumph in the art.
    From some reason I saw the main engineering of this film as a
    From some reason I saw the main engineering of this film as a parallel with the human need to invent a god and live and die by its terms. Desynthesizing our responsibilities by use of a third party. Everyone is always looking for a leader to give them a tune to march to. Good or bad. So long as there is a tune, there are always willing participants.
    Batman must make a come back, not just to answer to himself, and tie-in the plot of the previous film, but most importantly because people are at a loss after knowing of his existence. Which begs me to wonder: We are all assuming there is a guy sitting comfortably upstairs pulling cords, but what if we really truly knew? As with Batman, we'd be demanding this guy get back to business and do it as we demand him to. After all, his decisions are our lives.
    But let's look at it from another point of view. The bad guy, Bane, also has followers. Hordes of maniacs looking for blind faith to provide them juice out of their vacant existence. Reminding me a bit of a lot of terrorist ideologies. The propagation of a bad idea is often better than having no ideas at all. Check with our past historical dictators to confirm my suspicions.
    "You must do it without a rope." No one could forget those lines. The true motivator of human evolution. Because when it comes down to it, there is no large human accomplishment that has ever been performed with a safety net. Leaps must be made with blind faith. Something takes place in the universe when there is full commitment in place... Notice that I did use 'blind faith' here as well as I used it in the previous paragraph about evil. Because faith works both ways. The flip side of a coin by the name of 'hope.'
    The true lesson Batman delivers here after reconquering his own faith is that humanity must learn to fight its own battles with individually instilled hope and determination. Allow me to explain...
    This one book you might have heard of, the Bible, has a somewhat similar story. It's about an unassuming guy that shows up to perform acts no other man could ever fathom. And when he gets everyone's attention, he tells them that they too can do the same if they only believed. Of course, they think he is nuts. Everyone always misses the moral of the story. The reason why Batman has to go away, as did the guy in the Bible... Witnessing greatness is clear proof that we are all part of it. It's already within each one of us. And it's ok to move forward alone. We all find the way. So long as we have faith.
  84. Jul 29, 2012
    This movie was awsome. i enjoyed every moment. its roller coster of excitement and the movie theater was full. I really hope to see more of the saga and i would be watching it.
  85. Jul 31, 2012
    Although it's not on the same level as The Dark Knight, the Dark Knight Rises is still a fantastic film. All of the performances are fantastic as usual, and Gordon-Levitt and Hathaway are superb additions. As well, Hathaway's role is a rare strong female lead, as in the tradition of Ripley from Alien, and she kills it in her role (in a positive sense). It's also more brooding andAlthough it's not on the same level as The Dark Knight, the Dark Knight Rises is still a fantastic film. All of the performances are fantastic as usual, and Gordon-Levitt and Hathaway are superb additions. As well, Hathaway's role is a rare strong female lead, as in the tradition of Ripley from Alien, and she kills it in her role (in a positive sense). It's also more brooding and methodical in comparison to the Dark Knight, and it's a treat to have a film set up a story the way this one does. Tom Hardy deserves an Oscar. Overall, it's to the Dark Knight was Godfather II was to the Godfather. Expand
  86. Sep 17, 2012
    Just to answer the glaring question, no, it doesn't measure up to the intelligence of "The Dark Knight". However, it comes close with pure cinematic spectacle and visual style. A near perfect summation to a brilliant trilogy.
  87. May 3, 2015
    omg! Nolan! damn! perfect trilogy! absolutely perfect! what a beautiful finale! I love this series so much! so inspiring! it will be so hard for another film series of comic book or any film series to live up to this
  88. Jul 22, 2012
    It was a good movie and I do believe the biggest issue this movie had was trying to live up to the standards set by the last one. The events that surrounded The Dark Knight kinda gave it a mystique that is very hard to match with any other movie. And that was the biggest problem with this movie for me. This movie almost rendered every aspect from the second movie pointless. Not to spoilIt was a good movie and I do believe the biggest issue this movie had was trying to live up to the standards set by the last one. The events that surrounded The Dark Knight kinda gave it a mystique that is very hard to match with any other movie. And that was the biggest problem with this movie for me. This movie almost rendered every aspect from the second movie pointless. Not to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't seen it already, but this movie is more of a sequel to the first movie, Batman Begins, than it is a sequel to The Dark Knight. I personally liked this movie but I was able to temper my expectations going into it. My friends were not and they hated it. I have a buddy who loved the second movie and he HATED this movie because it was not the second movie. I think he's being too harsh toward the movie but he wasn't the only one who had the opinion from the people I know. People need to know that this movie isn't the second one. The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises are two different movies and I will warn people that they need be able understand that the differences between the two are quite noticeable. So don't go into the movie expecting to see a direct sequel to The Dark Knight cause that's not what this movie is. In the end, this movie does a great job at ended the Nolan Batman movies and I personally liked it alot. However there are going to be people who will hate this movie just because it's not the second one. Which is a shame since they aren't going to be able to enjoy this movie for what it really is: A great batman movie, and great trilogy, which needs to be praised for everything it did for superhero movies over the years. Expand
  89. Sep 3, 2012
    This is NOT a cinematographic legend or a myth. All the same, it is a great conclusion of a wonderful trilogy with all the Nolanesque style we're used to (deep characters, good photography, memorable script). I enjoyed it a lot and surely will watch it again. However, I was a bit disappointed by Marion Cotillard's character and her performance, as well as by some minor elements (finalThis is NOT a cinematographic legend or a myth. All the same, it is a great conclusion of a wonderful trilogy with all the Nolanesque style we're used to (deep characters, good photography, memorable script). I enjoyed it a lot and surely will watch it again. However, I was a bit disappointed by Marion Cotillard's character and her performance, as well as by some minor elements (final scenes, a bit of cliches in Zimmer's music that resemble Inception). Michael Caine FTW! Expand
  90. Nov 11, 2012
    I found this a very enjoyable movie and fitting ending to the trilogy. Despite the slow start it soon starts picking up pace and keeps your attention til the very end.
  91. Jul 22, 2012
    A powerhouse ending, beautiful story and thematic intensity make the final Dark Knight film a triumph. Nolan end his trilogy in grand fashion, taking heavy risks and succeeds in asking the audience to look at an apocalyptic threat to Gotham City. The film doesn't always have the crispness in dialogue, or tight packaging in the action sequences of its predecessors, but the emotionalA powerhouse ending, beautiful story and thematic intensity make the final Dark Knight film a triumph. Nolan end his trilogy in grand fashion, taking heavy risks and succeeds in asking the audience to look at an apocalyptic threat to Gotham City. The film doesn't always have the crispness in dialogue, or tight packaging in the action sequences of its predecessors, but the emotional investment is far greater with Bruce Wayne's willingness to sacrifice himself to save Gotham, finally paying dividends in unexpected ways. It is awesome in IMAX Expand
  92. Jul 20, 2012
    The third film in any trilogy is always very hard to judge - as it has to tie up previous plots and continue the evolution of characters to satisfy an existing audience. In this case, Dark Knight Rises is a great success. Containing plenty of nods back to the previous film, its nice to see how Bruce Waynes character evolves. Anne Hathaway is surprisingly good as Selina Kyle, in a partThe third film in any trilogy is always very hard to judge - as it has to tie up previous plots and continue the evolution of characters to satisfy an existing audience. In this case, Dark Knight Rises is a great success. Containing plenty of nods back to the previous film, its nice to see how Bruce Waynes character evolves. Anne Hathaway is surprisingly good as Selina Kyle, in a part which takes elements from Hush, The Long Halloween and Batman Year One. Tom Hardy's Bane however is quite different to the Bane we got in Knightfall (and, thankfully, Batman & Robin). Hardy is incredibly threatening as a villain, and fantastic at portraying his character through pretty much his eyes alone. It feels unfair to compare him to Ledgers Joker as both perform fantastic in their respective roles. The rest of the cast are equally good. The plot is also compelling, although much like the Dark Knight sometimes Logic is bent or straight out broken to get the film to where it needs to be. Thankfully the film justifies this moments with great set pieces and some compelling moments - Michael Caine getting the best bits to my mind. So as a conclusion to a trilogy this is in no doubt a ten for me. But as a stand alone film there are one or two plot holes and the odd clunky scene that drag it ever so slightly. Given that the first two films are excellent anyway there's no reason not to be clued in on the world that Nolan and co. have built. If you watch just one of Nolans Batman movies, go for The Dark Knight but as part of the trilogy and its conclusion this is as fantastic as the previous 2.

One thing though: I've noticed that some of the newspaper reviews criticised the politic aspects of the movie - which is bizarre as there really isn't much more than Bane using an Occupy:Gotham belief to mask his real intentions. Sure the odd comment has subtext but it has no real depth beyond the film itself. And Mitt Romney has nothing to worry about. :)
  93. Jun 25, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I have seen the last two films in this trilogy and the Dark Knight was a powerful film.
    Review:
    Pros: A generally great film.
    Cons: Film was let down by an unrealistic medical miracle and a poorly timed nuclear device that explodes in film/TV time.
    4.5/5 - Good enough to watch it in the cinema and perhaps to buy the DVD.
  94. Jul 20, 2012
    Not all critics hailed it as good as its immediate predecessor, but in all honesty TDKR is as good as The Dark Knight. Yes no one can match a truly magnificent performance by the late H. Ledger which make his last made film truly legendary and makes this last installment of Nolan's Batman really hard to finish and above all else TDK has put this last sequel on pedestal of everyone's eye,Not all critics hailed it as good as its immediate predecessor, but in all honesty TDKR is as good as The Dark Knight. Yes no one can match a truly magnificent performance by the late H. Ledger which make his last made film truly legendary and makes this last installment of Nolan's Batman really hard to finish and above all else TDK has put this last sequel on pedestal of everyone's eye, expecting higher than the usual but Hardy's performance as Bane make it big for this movie and of course Nolan's grand finale has its ground-breaking spectacular and non-stop nail-biting climax that would put you on the edge of your seat gripping till the last scene.

The script was greatly made by the Nolan brothers. There were a lot of new cast which you would think they're irrelevant but evidently it was a necessity to the climax. The acting was superb especially Hardy, Bale, Gordon-Levitte,and Caine. The plot and story and directing was amazing and real, I don't know how Nolan's brain works but it is amazingly effective.

TDKR is the very best finale sequel since LOTR: Return of the King. Of course it is way too better than the third sequel of Spider-Man, X-Men, Blade, even the third Star Wars.Overall TDKR is the best film of 2012 I've seen so far. It is definitely greater than to its competition. It has made The Avengers a child's play as said by TIME movie review. And definitely as great as The Dark Knight. Not all viewers will be pleased by this movie especially some critics, but in all honesty this is one of the greatest movie that has ever made (especially in our time).
  95. Jul 20, 2012
    The weakest of the Batman trilogy. But that doesn't mean the movie is bad. In fact, it is far from it. From Christopher Nolan, i expected much more though. Anne Hathaway was brilliant as Catwoman and Tom Hardy as Bane. The movie is plagued with some plot holes though which I wont spoil but are obvious during the course of the film. This will make other superhero films seem childlike andThe weakest of the Batman trilogy. But that doesn't mean the movie is bad. In fact, it is far from it. From Christopher Nolan, i expected much more though. Anne Hathaway was brilliant as Catwoman and Tom Hardy as Bane. The movie is plagued with some plot holes though which I wont spoil but are obvious during the course of the film. This will make other superhero films seem childlike and the twists and turns of this movie are fantastic but overall, funwise, Marvel's The Avengers was the superior film. I had a blast cheering with my fellow midnight movie-goers and even though this film was a blast, it was the weakest entry of the Dark Knight saga. Expand
  96. Sep 4, 2012
    What should you do? As incredible as it seems, you should just sit back in the movie theater, relax and be blown away as much as I was for sure. the best movie of 2012!
  97. Feb 8, 2013
    Found this movie totally satisfying on every level. The acting, directing and score are all top notch here. I had thought going into this movie that there was no way it could reach the levels of The Dark Knight, but in my humble opinion it did. The Dark Knight Rises is the perfect send off to the best comic book series of all time and I really enjoyed how everything came full circle by theFound this movie totally satisfying on every level. The acting, directing and score are all top notch here. I had thought going into this movie that there was no way it could reach the levels of The Dark Knight, but in my humble opinion it did. The Dark Knight Rises is the perfect send off to the best comic book series of all time and I really enjoyed how everything came full circle by the time it had ended. My favorite film of 2012. Expand
  98. Oct 13, 2012
    I know all \'Superhero\' movies are far-fetched, but come on, how could anyone believe the escaped convict from The Shawshank Redemption could become a high profile tech-wizard within just a few years.
    He couldn\'t even fix that little wooden boat in Mexico, what? Now he\'s building Bat Mobiles?
  99. Jul 23, 2012
    One of the best endings to a trilogy in history, the first film was more like a horror, the second; crime, the third; epic. And that's exactly what the film is; epic. The set pieces are phenomenal, all the gadgets and car chases will have you excited and on the edge of your seat, plus the story is pure genius. Unlike the others, this story has a massive scope, and I wont give away what itOne of the best endings to a trilogy in history, the first film was more like a horror, the second; crime, the third; epic. And that's exactly what the film is; epic. The set pieces are phenomenal, all the gadgets and car chases will have you excited and on the edge of your seat, plus the story is pure genius. Unlike the others, this story has a massive scope, and I wont give away what it is, but unlike The Dark Knight, its massive. Bane provides a fitting villain, he's for one pretty scary and two a perfect choice for the film, his brute strength and brilliant mind provides Batman with one of his toughest villains. Tom Hardy is also very good in the role, obviously he cannot beat Heath Ledger as The Joker, but Hardy portrays Bane as sinister and an uncaring almost beast. As mentioned unlike the first two films in Nolans trilogy, this time he creates a film that you will enjoy more and more upon multiple villain, for there are so few slow scenes, the whole films is high tension and fast paced, and the budget must of inflated from the first, for if anyone has seen he trailer think that's it, believe me it not. Anne Hathaway is arguably the best Catwoman yet, she is a real femme fatale and is not the sexy Michelle Pfeiffer, but a Catwoman we really care for and can't wait to see, any of her fight scenes are almost better than Batman himself, but she fits so well in this film. She provides a sort of narrative device for the film, and if not for her other scnes would not occur. Her sub plot also fits very well, and we want to see her achieve it, and I'm so glad they put Hathaway in the final film and no other. There is obvious flaws in the film, especially where some scenes feel as if they are treading the same ground as Batman Begins, but this is only because The Dark Knight was so different to the original, but Dark Knight Rises is very different for as I mentioned this is simply an action-war-epic. And even if the middle is slower compared to the beginning and phenomenal end, the end and beginning make up for it, and the middle is still superb cinema! Something else many argue is the use of too many characters, but they really do fit, and Gordon Levitt works well as Blake, and Cotillard may seem pointless for a majority of the film, but by the end becomes a key character. Yes, there are too many characters for a final film where there should be fewer but they all get a character development. This truly is a perfect finale for one of the best trilogies of all time, and the only reason people are complaining is because the bar was set so high by The Dark Knight, but this truly is a wonderful, magnificent film full of twists and turns and a perfect, fitting ending that you will not forget. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.