The Dark Knight Rises

8.2

1. Jan 3, 2016
    The last in the trilogy is here and it still managed to show what it got to become the last good out of the three in the Batman trilogy. It's so close from it being a 6 though.
  2. Aug 3, 2012
    Not better than The Dark Knight, however, still amazing. A lot "creepier" for sure, as well, as Bane is not a lovable villain like the Joker, but is much darker and pure evil. Great ending to the trilogy.
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    The best installment of the Batman trilogy, The Dark Knight Rises is involving, gripping, and riveting. The story is on par, as well as a great cast new to the series (Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotillard, etc.). The movie never lags, and Tom Hardy's Bane comes across as a testosterone-fueled hunk of a man who knows true pain and wants to do justice in his own twisted ways.

While

While some may say that the background story of Bane isn't what's in the comics, just stop. Did it fit the movie? Maybe it didn't, because I bet my ass director Christopher Nolan took that into consideration. I bet they did a screen test, and that storyline didn't work. To be honest, it's not that big of a detail and can be easily overlooked, and it didn't do any damage to the story. In fact, it made it *that* much more interesting.
  4. Jan 11, 2013
    I'm a huge Batman fan, I've watched every movie so far and I have to admit this is not only one of the best Batman movies (I say one of the best because Batman Forever is my favorite, agree or disagree I don't care it's my favorite) but it's also one of the best superhero movies of all time. It's action packed, has a great story, outstanding acting, and some awesome comic tie-ins. AnI'm a huge Batman fan, I've watched every movie so far and I have to admit this is not only one of the best Batman movies (I say one of the best because Batman Forever is my favorite, agree or disagree I don't care it's my favorite) but it's also one of the best superhero movies of all time. It's action packed, has a great story, outstanding acting, and some awesome comic tie-ins. An outstanding movie that I highly recommend watching. Expand
  5. Nov 28, 2012
    Although it is not as cleanly compressed together as its ancestors, Christopher Nolan's conclusion to his - now pristine - Batman trilogy still remains a sweeping, emotional, and completely endearing master work of modern cinema.
  6. Aug 14, 2012
    Nolan has made an absolute masterpiece on an epic scale. It may not be as good as the Dark Knight and doesn't have a performance like Ledgers, but it is far superior to every other movie out there.
  7. Aug 1, 2012
    "The Dark Knight Rises" is a brilliant summer blockbuster that succeeds responding its massive hype by gloriously ending The Dark Knight Trilogy. Despite some stretched-out plot holes and cliches the movie's story-line is tight and packed with visual eye candy, stuff that you gotta watch in IMAX. Most of the actors from "Inception" are brought down into the film and they boast solid"The Dark Knight Rises" is a brilliant summer blockbuster that succeeds responding its massive hype by gloriously ending The Dark Knight Trilogy. Despite some stretched-out plot holes and cliches the movie's story-line is tight and packed with visual eye candy, stuff that you gotta watch in IMAX. Most of the actors from "Inception" are brought down into the film and they boast solid performances. The tone of the movie isn't as dark as "The Dark Knight", but it still is mature and realistic (in a sense...). However what Christopher Nolan hit dead right was, in my opinion. the ending. I won't spoil anything but I can say that the ending is very refreshing and interesting; it's different from the usual linear endings brainless Hollywood blockbuster directors/producers think of. Long story short, WATCH IT. It's not quite the same level as of "The Dark Knight", but it has big scope visual eye-pleasers as well as a somewhat sensational and wise ending; a finishing touch for director Nolan's epic trilogy of the lonesome dark knight. Expand
  8. Aug 31, 2012
    It was really rough in the begining but by the end of the film, It was very satisfying to watch. I absolutely loved Bane and thought he was a perfect villain but he didn't get enough on screen time imo. It was a very fitting end to the trilogy.
  9. Mar 14, 2013
    The final installment in the best superhero movie franchise of all time is equal to its predecessors. The additions of Tom Hardy as Bane and Anne Hathaway as Catwoman are great and Michael Caine continues tobe the standout performance.
  10. Feb 22, 2013
    Most of the regular readers of this blog will know that I loath superheros, except for Batman. I've always felt there was so much more then meets the eye when it came to that character, but even I didn't see Batman's full potential until Christopher Nolan took the reigns. In all 3 of his Batman films, Nolan made the Dark Knight as realistic as possible, with characters we can relate to,Most of the regular readers of this blog will know that I loath superheros, except for Batman. I've always felt there was so much more then meets the eye when it came to that character, but even I didn't see Batman's full potential until Christopher Nolan took the reigns. In all 3 of his Batman films, Nolan made the Dark Knight as realistic as possible, with characters we can relate to, real situations, and real dialogue, that's free of all the ridiculous puns it's predecessors loved so much. The third installment takes places eight years after the events of the Dark Knight, when Gotham has been safe, and the Batman wasn't needed. That is until the powerful Bane shows up. Unlike the first two, this script does not follow the original comic story and skews off in several different ways. Unless you're a longtime fan of the series, you won't realize it, but for us fans, there are some very unexpected developments, which I assume were thrown in to throw off even the most die-hard fans. As for the film, it was amazing in every way possible and was everything I expect from Christopher Nolan, but still, it lacked something and that something was an extraordinary villain. We were all spoiled in The Dark Knight with one of the best performances of all time, and while this film is remarkable, it's lacking a stand out performance from one of it's stars. I can find very little fault with this film other than the fact that no one character really stood out and made themselves as memorable as Heath Ledger did in the Dark Knight. Expand
  11. Apr 4, 2014
    the batman series is not so exciting . the movie is fun and a rockstar hit . " christian bale is wonderful playin the one and only batman ..........................
    Grade A
  12. Nov 5, 2012
    When standing alone, The Dark Knight Rises is a masterpiece in the genre of action cinema. However, when advertised, it is suggested the film is the epic conclusion to the Batman saga, but in the end, the film does not wrap things up, it merely lays the foundation to a new film.
  13. Aug 9, 2012
    Although it seems tantamount to treason to do so, I'll go out on a limb and say that The Dark Knight Rises is the best bat-flick yet. Begins and Knight were fine movies but both lacked a truly killer action sequence. Rises fixes that problem and has a whole slew of amazing action scenes, both vehicular and hand-to-hand. The story, whilst not as clever as Knight's, still packs the usualAlthough it seems tantamount to treason to do so, I'll go out on a limb and say that The Dark Knight Rises is the best bat-flick yet. Begins and Knight were fine movies but both lacked a truly killer action sequence. Rises fixes that problem and has a whole slew of amazing action scenes, both vehicular and hand-to-hand. The story, whilst not as clever as Knight's, still packs the usual Nolan punch and the emotions run higher than ever as the movie unfolds. Ultimately, The Dark Knight Rises ends Nolan's Batman trilogy on a high note and secures his franchise a spot in the archives of the all time greats. Expand
  14. Jul 27, 2012
    This year has been historic for comic book films. First we had The Avengers, the biggest collaberation of superheroes ever. Then we had The Amazing Spider-Man, the best origin story ever conceived for the character. Now we have The Dark Knight Rises, a film that not only ties loose ends for the Dark Knight era, but also becomes one of the most believably dark comic book films ever. Some ofThis year has been historic for comic book films. First we had The Avengers, the biggest collaberation of superheroes ever. Then we had The Amazing Spider-Man, the best origin story ever conceived for the character. Now we have The Dark Knight Rises, a film that not only ties loose ends for the Dark Knight era, but also becomes one of the most believably dark comic book films ever. Some of the best acting of the year comes from TDKR, and Bane is one of the best villains that has ever been pitted against Batman. Its one of the years best films. Expand
  15. Aug 12, 2012
    Watched it in front of an IMAX screen in the cinema, and as the curtain call of Nolan
  16. Aug 24, 2014
    A strong 3 1/2 stars. I'm hard pressed to take it down from 4, but frankly, I don't feel the good kind of impact just yet.

I'm having a lot of mixed feelings about this movie. Much anticipated on my part, following one of my all-time favorites, "The Dark Knight", perhaps it was a lot of pressure. Post-movie, I found myself wondering: "Where is Batman?" - because in a movie about the

Post-movie, I found myself wondering: "Where is Batman?" - because in a movie about the caped crusader you would imagine getting a lot of screen time from the man dressed as a big bad bat. I found myself realizing that this movie, all in all, didn't focus on Batman - or even Bruce Wayne - nearly as much as I expected. He was there in spirit, but absent in physical presence.

Anna Hathaway as Selina Kyle (Catwoman) wasn't nearly as impressive as you would think. I just felt like she didn't really have a place in the movie.

Tom Hardy's Bane was big and intimidating (although I missed his own voice when Bane's kept pitching up and down).

Miranda Tate (Marion Cotillard, also seen in "Inception" with JGL and Hardy, now that I recall) was a surprise factor, until which point her presence in the movie made me wonder "why?" more than once.

A surprise lies in Joseph Gordon-Lewitt's John Blake (his role just gets better near the end). He got a lot of screen time, and his story seemed more interesting than a lot of the things going on around him. (A special surprise for him near the end!)

Michael Caine as Alfred and Morgan Freeman as Fox reprise their roles, but are very low-key, as well as Gary Oldman's Gordon.

All in all the story, sadly, was jumpy, feeling like it was patched together from pieces too small, the scenes not cohesive at all and almost hurried. Maybe it was jerked in too many viewpoints at once, or they tried for a different style, but it didn't work for me, at least not in the first viewing. There was a little too much "tell" rather than "show", to pick up the slack.

The sounds were another thing; the music was too loud, as was the theatrical, dark rumbling. They together drowned anything and everything in their way.

So... definitely mixed feelings after the first viewing, but the movie had a lot of small gems scattered all around. It didn't get close to any of the characters, especially Wayne/Batman, although he was battling rather personal demons all along, climbing back from the depression of the last movie.

Bat-fans: check it out. Definitely worth the watch, and it can only get better in future viewings, that I guarantee.
  17. Oct 25, 2013
    Typical sequel to an amazingly gritty and politically artistic film such as 'Dark Knight' Clumsily loose at times, especially the ending, in which the twist is not an enhancer. Rather sad that Ledger died. Id he'd lived, he'd surely be the main antagonist, and this feature would be an epic conclusion to the malevolent and sadistic "thing" that is the Joker of Heath Ledger. I'd also likeTypical sequel to an amazingly gritty and politically artistic film such as 'Dark Knight' Clumsily loose at times, especially the ending, in which the twist is not an enhancer. Rather sad that Ledger died. Id he'd lived, he'd surely be the main antagonist, and this feature would be an epic conclusion to the malevolent and sadistic "thing" that is the Joker of Heath Ledger. I'd also like the film a bit more if some deranged man hadn't gunned down an innocent group of enthusiastic moviegoers. It is enjoyable, mostly. Expand
  18. Nov 27, 2013
    Unfortunately this film is the weakest of the Christopher Nolan trilogy. The plot is too slowly paced and though the acting is strong, there is no sense of urgency. The film is shot wonderfully but the large scale almost loses the 'realness' created by the first two.
  19. Aug 12, 2012
    After many days of waiting I finally got to see The Dark Knight Rises and the one question a lot of people probably want to know is what did I think of the movie. Dark Knight rises is a good film and is much better than the other superhero movies of the summer. However, Dark Knight Rises is a good film and a fitting end to the series it is by no means a great film and I did not enjoy it asAfter many days of waiting I finally got to see The Dark Knight Rises and the one question a lot of people probably want to know is what did I think of the movie. Dark Knight rises is a good film and is much better than the other superhero movies of the summer. However, Dark Knight Rises is a good film and a fitting end to the series it is by no means a great film and I did not enjoy it as much as the other Batman films.

Dark Knight Rises takes place 8 or 11 years after the events of Dark Knight (2008). Bruce Wayne has given up being Batman and gone into retirement. Now anew threat known as Bane has shown up and is causing trouble in Gothan. Also there
  20. Jul 25, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises has flaws, and it doesn't live up to the excitement of its predecessor. Yet, it has breathtaking action, dazzling visual effects, and is as emotionally powerful as the finale of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. It features incredible performances from Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotilliard, Michael Kane, and Tom Hardy who makes for a terrifying villain.The Dark Knight Rises has flaws, and it doesn't live up to the excitement of its predecessor. Yet, it has breathtaking action, dazzling visual effects, and is as emotionally powerful as the finale of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. It features incredible performances from Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotilliard, Michael Kane, and Tom Hardy who makes for a terrifying villain. With an amazing original score from Hans Zimmer and breathtaking,thrilling action; this makes for a satisfying and beautiful conclusion to one of the greatest trilogies ever put to film. I give this movie 98%. Expand
  21. Jan 16, 2013
    Was it writing on the wall? Was it karma being a **** I mean i suppose we were never going to have two epic superhero films (the other being The Avengers) in the same year...but damn I wanted this movie to succeed in every way, shape and form that would throw at us...but it just didn't.
    Trust me, this movie is fantastic, but its not a masterpiece, by no means flawless and certainly not the best entry into the series.
    Set 8 years after the events of the Joker and Harvey Dent fiasco, we see Bruce Wayne/Batman (Christian Bale) is a social recluse, shutting himself out to the rest of the world, until of course duty calls to get him back into the swing of the things.
    We then see the appearance of Selina Kyle, dressed in a leather suit (lets not say Catwoman) who is arguably one of the standout performances of the film, Anne Hathaway's performance needs to be lauded for her dangerously enjoyable take on the cat burglar, sharp dialogue and not a dull moment with this one.
    Tom hardy, as usual, throws himself into the character of Bane, a terrorist here to right the wrongs which he sees have taken over Gotham City, his voice behind the mask is quite chilling to listen to, and his sheer strength which Hardy built up is magnificent.
    And yet... all this still couldn't satisfy my appetite for my ideal conclusive film.
    Was it the plot holes that bothered me? No, they were the least of my nigglings with this film, i just hold the notion that it was too typical, let me explain.

Too often is a bomb or some sort of 'destroy the whole city' type device is used to gain brownie points, i was so disappointed to see this used in TDKR, from a plot so simplistic yet brilliant in The Dark Knight, TDKR attempts to almost wipe any trace of the Joker ever existing, and replaced it with a corporate sequel, bad guys who are after Wayne Enterprises, Bruce Wayne building something which in turn can be used as a nuclear bomb, these common devices to try and create a conclusive story just didn't suit the mood that Chris Nolan was trying to create.
    The large fire-bat signal on the bridge was of particular annoyance to me, i felt it was too old school, it was a step back, it was unrealistic and rather cheesy. Too much time was wasted in the prison, (anyone could have guessed that he shouldn't have used the rope in the first place) and Bane was surprisingly under used in large portions of this film, he was the physical match to Batman and yet he seemed to be standing around for most of the film.
    For these, this film doesnt get a 10, it was excellent, it had thrills, it had heart and it had thought, but not logical thought, falling into traps which big dumb blocker busters tend to do, but I didn't expect this normally straightforward thinking film to follow the same path.
    Worthwhile performances of Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Gary Oldman, make this film hard to diss in terms of acting.
    The set pieces are magnificent, but again, not as thought provoking and mental as TDK.
    Very enjoyable, pulsating action and stellar performances, but The Dark Knight Rises just wasn't satisfying enough and made too many mistakes to have me straight thinking throughout its run.
  22. Nov 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Dark Knight Rises is absolutely amazing and, in my opinion, the movie of the year. Yes, that means I thought it was even better than The Avengers which, in and of itself was also incredible. Batman Begins is still my favorite superhero movie of all-time but this film matchs The Dark Knight if not surpassing it by a hair. I'm big on plot and character development so that's the only potential negative I can give the first Dark Knight. It felt more like an action based movie and got away a bit from the development of the Bruce Wayne character. Well, this movie returns to furthering the development of the protagonist to a very in-depth level. Of course it also had the amazing plot development, action sequences, and dark realism of the first two that made this trilogy as a whole the best set of films in superhero history.

I'm not going to lie, I had some concerns about this movie going in. The first concern was the selection of Tom Hardy and Anne Hathaway as Bane and Selena Kyle/Catwoman, respectively. Well, just like Heath Ledger, these surprising selections turned out to be perfect for how the characters were portrayed. As villains go, Heath Ledger's Joker is still the best villain in cinema history as far as I'm concerned but Tom Hardy's Bane comes incredibly close. The only negative I would say here is that there were a few scattered moments where his dialogue was fairly difficult to understand. I think they could've cleaned that up a bit more. Now Catwoman, WOW! I thought Anne Hathaway did an absolutely amazing job here. I honestly think she was by far the best catwoman yet and I don't think she could've done a better job. Kudos to Christopher Nolan once more for seeing what so many other people couldn't.

As I said before, the action sequences were stunning as usual. There's nothing new there. One thing I will say that I loved, as with the first two, is how realistic they manage to keep a lot of the fighting and action scenes. Along with the overall darker tone, the realism has really made this series more enjoyable than ever. The ultimate judge for this movie, though, is how well the plot unravels before your eyes. The first two movies each had pretty intriguing twists and turns that were somewhat unexpected but they don't touch this one in that regard. The discoveries of the Talia al Ghul and Robin characters, Bane's origin and purpose, Catwoman's development (in addition to Batman's as mentioned prior), and all of the tie-ins that round out the trilogy were incredible. Plus, the way the ending unfolds in truly remarkable and writing it here just wouldn't do it justice. I will say this though; I can't wait for the next one, if and when they make it :)
  23. Oct 20, 2012
    The filmmaking powerhouse that is Christopher Nolan has delivered a pretty satisfying final chapter of his Dark Knight trilogy. The plot of The Dark Knight Rises is a slow-burner, but the stockpiled tension you accumulate over the film well and truly explodes in an epic finale. This Batman series also, gratifyingly, feels like a complete story that brings you full circle rather than aThe filmmaking powerhouse that is Christopher Nolan has delivered a pretty satisfying final chapter of his Dark Knight trilogy. The plot of The Dark Knight Rises is a slow-burner, but the stockpiled tension you accumulate over the film well and truly explodes in an epic finale. This Batman series also, gratifyingly, feels like a complete story that brings you full circle rather than a succession of tacked-on sequels thanks to an extraordinary joint writing effort by the Nolan brothers and David S. Goyer. This is one of the most enjoyable of the Caped Crusader's screen outings, being dark, provocative and relevant to the modern world (perhaps slightly heavy-handedly) but also never forgets to be fun, and to be a genuine superhero film. Is Tom Hardy's Bane a more memorable villain than Heath Ledger's Joker? No, but he's an entertaining, distinctive antagonist with a wonderfully odd voice and some of the best eye-acting ever committed to screen from Hardy. Bane's introduction scene is arguably on par with the Joker's from the previous film - both are creative, thrilling heist scenes that are served beautifully by Nolan's love of IMAX. The old faithfuls of the franchise - Michael Caine, Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman are good as ever, and Christian Bale impresses as an older, creakier Batman. Series newcomer Anne Hathaway is mesmerising playing the manipulative and morally ambiguous Selina Kyle AKA Catwoman, who proves herself to be at least as formidable as her pointy-eared associate, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt manages to hold his own in a cast of big-hitters. The main crime The Dark Knight Rises commits is attempting to tackle too much. The plotting is a lot looser this time round, conveniently glossing over such narrative inconveniences as the passage of time and geography, and there are frequent references to things that supposedly happened between the last film and this one, often resulting in an information overload. A lot of narrative fat could have been cut at the beginning of the film, and a tweak in plotting in the first act would have certainly helped with the flow of the story. The Dark Knight Rises is still a hugely entertaining and handsome-looking film, but if the story had been stripped back a little, and been more focussed, then perhaps a more consistently enjoyable final product might have emerged. Expand
  24. Jul 8, 2014
    The final film with our beloved Batman is both awesome, stunning and furious.

The final film with our beloved Batman is both awesome, stunning and furious.

Just as The Dark Knight, we have another incredible well made movie from Christopher Nolan and he keeps me heavily entertained. Just as the previous film, it suffers with a slow amount of action and to much conversations, but in the end is The Dark Knight Rises a hell of a movie, and it might have one of the best endings I’ve ever seen.

Not as stunning as The Dark Knight, but it's still a masterpiece.

The Dark Knight Rises gets a 9/10
  25. Apr 7, 2013
    For me this is really an extremely over-hyped movie. and thanks to the hype it led me to be a bit disappointed. For a movie about Batman, Batman isn't really in it that much. Tom Hardy does a great job of portraying Bane & Anna Hathaway is a fantastic Catwoman. But even with top end effects and great acting, it does not save it from some sloppy writing. So much detail went inot almostFor me this is really an extremely over-hyped movie. and thanks to the hype it led me to be a bit disappointed. For a movie about Batman, Batman isn't really in it that much. Tom Hardy does a great job of portraying Bane & Anna Hathaway is a fantastic Catwoman. But even with top end effects and great acting, it does not save it from some sloppy writing. So much detail went inot almost everything in this movie, yet there are so many plot holes and "convenient" occurrences to give this film the credibility it desperately wants. On top of that, it has soooo much padding that it feels like it goes on forever. This movie could easily have been cut down to a more reasonable running time. Still, I digress. I still think it is a great movie. Not as good as the previous one but better than all the other batman movies (aside from Tim Burton's Batman.)

Overall: Dark Knight Rises perhaps tries to do too much and in that gets a little lost at times. Still, Nolan did succeed to make an epic ending to his saga and I still thoroughly enjoyed the movie.
  26. Mar 13, 2015
    Christopher Nolan's concluding vision of the legendary Caped Crusader may just possibly go down as one of the strongest closing chapter to any franchise in modern cinema. With it's top-notch performances, and action-packed set pieces, The Dark Knight Rises ends the franchise on a satisfying high note, delivering one of the most powerfully engrossing climaxes in recent memory.

The acting

The acting here, like in Nolan's other Batman flicks, is nothing short of phenomenal. Hardy, while not quite as memorable as Heath Ledger's Joker, gives the performance of his career as Bane. His haunting voice and intimidating muscular physique are only matched by his calmness toward the chaos he causes everywhere he strikes.

Although The Dark Knight Rises never truly reaches the same groundbreaking heights as its predecessor, I loved every minute of it. The fantastic storytelling, the gritty visuals, the brilliant character development. There's nothing here that isn't worthy of praise in my book. Nolan truly capped off his one-of-a-kind superhero trilogy in a way that no other director could've accomplished. Sure, the narrative can get a bit messy at times, but when compared to everything else, the film does right, it hardly matters. Honestly, I can't recommend this movie enough. For any fan of dark,gritty, action-packed filmmaking, this is an absolute must-see.
  27. Jun 29, 2014
    One of the most entertaining movies ever! Bane's voice is terrifying, Catwoman is hot and Batman is spectacular in his return to the cinema. This is a epic movie filled with plot twists, inspiring scenes and an intense soundtrack!
  28. Mar 24, 2013
    This not only an epic conclusion to Chris Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, it was an epic conclusion to a summer filled with excitment. Not only was the storyline and acting fantastic, two characters really stuck out. Bane and Catwoman. Tom Hardy really brings in the fear of Bane with his incredible acting and dark complection to a wonderful villan. Anne Hathaway showcase's a sexy cat who canThis not only an epic conclusion to Chris Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, it was an epic conclusion to a summer filled with excitment. Not only was the storyline and acting fantastic, two characters really stuck out. Bane and Catwoman. Tom Hardy really brings in the fear of Bane with his incredible acting and dark complection to a wonderful villan. Anne Hathaway showcase's a sexy cat who can kick some serious butt. She truly is one of the greatest actresses of 2012. Surprisingly, i thought it was better than "The Dark Knight", but that's just me. I think the story is more darker and engaging than Dark Knight, but the Joker (Heath Ledger) is still the greatest villan ever. Overall, it's a tremendous movie, GO SEE IT! Expand
  29. Jul 26, 2012
    With an epic fight sequence in an aircraft, Christopher Nolan and his team bring us Batman back on the big screen. Main villain Bane shows who's running the show in the first minutes of the epic final, 'The Dark Knight Rises' and after a while we also get to see the title-giving hero of Gotham City, Bruce Wayne aka Batman himself. As it was announced in 'The Dark Knight', he settled downWith an epic fight sequence in an aircraft, Christopher Nolan and his team bring us Batman back on the big screen. Main villain Bane shows who's running the show in the first minutes of the epic final, 'The Dark Knight Rises' and after a while we also get to see the title-giving hero of Gotham City, Bruce Wayne aka Batman himself. As it was announced in 'The Dark Knight', he settled down after losing his longtime love, Rachel, and being accused for killing Gotham's former district attorney, Harvey Dent. But as he gets tricked by cat burglar Selina Kyle (nicely played by Anne Hathaway), better known as Catwoman, he finally comes out of his hibernation, to fight for Gotham one last time. Also new in the cast: Joseph Gordon-Levitt as assiduous police officer and Marion Cotillard as an important member of Wayne Enterprises. Ah yeah, and Tom Hardy plays Bane, but that Expand
  30. Dec 17, 2013
    The Dark Knight Rises is an immensely satisfying conclusion to The Dark Knight trilogy although it doesn't really match up to the heights of its predecessor.
  31. Mar 8, 2014
    Visually impressive, emotionally powerful, and well-plotted. This final installment has a slow start with too many new characters, but once it gets going, it's great. Ultimately, it's not as good as "The Dark Knight", but it's an excellent conclusion to an epic trilogy.
  32. Aug 27, 2012
    THE DARK KNIGHT RISES is an exciting, well-made, well-performed and well directed finale that Batman and Nolan fans will surely love this near flawless and worthy conclusion to the well loved franchise.
  33. Dec 7, 2012
    This film has seemed a lot better than the previous film.
  34. Apr 17, 2016
  35. Jul 20, 2012
    Amazing really, Nolan close one of the best superhero sagas of all the time, that have amazing performances, the story and the development is really amazing. The performance of Christian Bale is really awesome, and the two new villians Tom Hardy and Anne Hathaway are really cool, the rest of the cast is very amazing. The movie is awesome, have a great end and yes is one of the best moviesAmazing really, Nolan close one of the best superhero sagas of all the time, that have amazing performances, the story and the development is really amazing. The performance of Christian Bale is really awesome, and the two new villians Tom Hardy and Anne Hathaway are really cool, the rest of the cast is very amazing. The movie is awesome, have a great end and yes is one of the best movies of this year. Expand
  36. Nov 10, 2014
    The Dark Knight Rises is an immensely satisfying conclusion to The Dark Knight trilogy even though it doesn't really match up to the heights of its predecessor.
  37. Jun 15, 2013
    A good movie, but I expected great. The biggest problem with this movie is everybody is going in with high expectations and it doesn`t live up to it.The story was good, but I wanted more Batman and less Bruce Wayne.I really did like Bane, but not the ending fight.
  38. Jun 10, 2013
    Action, Drama, Suspense, Excellent twist in a movie. Christopher Nolan is like the best director these days. The best series of batman with a great ending. Would like to watch another batman film from christopher nolan. Watched it twice in the cinema
  39. Jun 15, 2013
    A very good movie that's definitely worth watching and is still better than nearly every superhero movie, but in that lies the problem. It is not as good as The Dark Knight. It is better in some things like emotional depth, and it has a better story overall, but it doesn't truly leave its genre. Unlike The Dark Knight, it is not a genuine crime thriller in the vein of The Departed.A very good movie that's definitely worth watching and is still better than nearly every superhero movie, but in that lies the problem. It is not as good as The Dark Knight. It is better in some things like emotional depth, and it has a better story overall, but it doesn't truly leave its genre. Unlike The Dark Knight, it is not a genuine crime thriller in the vein of The Departed. This is because Nolan's direction has went backwards in terms of attention to detail, especially in the action department, and he's added to many far fetched elements, such as Bane being able to punch through walls. Speaking of Bane, Tom Hardy is a very good villain. He's very scary, but he still can't match the pure insanity of Ledger. I know it sounds like I don't like this movie but I was just comparing it with The Dark Knight. On its own terms the movie is dark beyond belief, intricately plotted, well acted, and emotionally involving and sometimes wrenching. If not for the Dark Knight this would be the best superhero movie ever made. If you're a fan of Nolan's movies in any way, or if you just like movies in general, please watch it. Expand
  40. Lyn
    Jan 6, 2013
    Joseph Gordon-Leavitt really "rises" here : You wonder what the heck HE is doing in a Batman movie, but he wins you over. Overall, a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy, with lots of dark-and-doomy action, though they could have cut 30 mins. from the rather blah backstories. Also would have liked more of the always solid Christian Bale, but Anne Hathaway lit up every scene she was in.Joseph Gordon-Leavitt really "rises" here : You wonder what the heck HE is doing in a Batman movie, but he wins you over. Overall, a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy, with lots of dark-and-doomy action, though they could have cut 30 mins. from the rather blah backstories. Also would have liked more of the always solid Christian Bale, but Anne Hathaway lit up every scene she was in. Must say "Bane" was a dull villain ... but having raised two sons, I'm sure he and his weird mask will make for a swell 8" action figure. Expand
  41. Apr 23, 2015
    For most superhero franchises, the third movie is a trap. It's there that the Tim Burton/Joel Schumacher iteration of Batman started its rapid descent. It's there that the Christopher Reeve Superman saga had the wheels come off. It's there that Sam Raimi lost his way with Spider-Man. The list goes on. Movie #3, at least when it comes to a comic-book inspired series, is often one too many,For most superhero franchises, the third movie is a trap. It's there that the Tim Burton/Joel Schumacher iteration of Batman started its rapid descent. It's there that the Christopher Reeve Superman saga had the wheels come off. It's there that Sam Raimi lost his way with Spider-Man. The list goes on. Movie #3, at least when it comes to a comic-book inspired series, is often one too many, the result of greed not creative necessity. It's a little different with Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight trilogy, because the second sequel, named The Dark Knight Rises, is also the last chapter. And not having to plan for a fourth installment affords the filmmaker an extraordinary opportunity: the ability to conclude a superhero saga. That's something we really haven't seen before (although it kind-of, sort-of happened with X-Men). In fact, it's so rare that it could be argued that Nolan has ventured into virgin territory.

Nolan's decision to make The Dark Knight trilogy a self-contained series allows us to consider the previously unthinkable going in: Could Batman die? If there's a given in any superhero movie, it's that the title character will be around at the end credits. No spoilers here - I'm not going to reveal the Caped Crusader's fate - but the potential of his demise will be in many viewers' thoughts before they see the movie. And that's the genius of the way Nolan has sold and constructed his films. Never have the stakes been higher in a product of this genre.

The Dark Knight Rises is the longest, darkest, and most ambitious of the three. In the final assessment, it must be acknowledged that Nolan has perhaps overreached in trying to top The Dark Knight, yet this is by no means a failure. The structure is a little unwieldy, there's too much exposition and too little Batman, and one twist is transparent from the early going. The Dark Knight Rises ultimately justifies its length (in fact, a good argument could be made for a longer cut) and the last 45 minutes is nothing short of spectacular. From the point where the narrative takes a leap of faith, it never lets up.

Ambiguous endings have become something of a Nolan trademark, and one can interpret The Dark Knight Rises' final few scenes to be more or less optimistic, depending on your personal inclination. This is nowhere near as maddening as the concluding image of Inception, but neither is the resolution as clear-cut as it might initially seem.

Having delivered his full Batman saga, Nolan can move onto other projects content that he told the story he wanted to and did it to the best of his ability. Of the three movies, The Dark Knight stands as the strongest. It is the most edgy and daring of the three and, like The Empire Strikes Back, it flies in the face of a common perception that middle chapter of a trilogy is the least rewarding. Looking at the finale, The Dark Knight Rises is no Return of the Jedi. It's a more complete package without an Ewok in sight. It allows fans to leave the theater satiated and a little dazed, and possibly wanting to see it again to catch everything they missed the first time. Yes, there are flaws, but The Dark Knight Rises gives this Batman trilogy a platform high atop the superhero pyramid from which it may never be dislodged.
  42. Jul 20, 2012
    Poor TDKR. A lot of film nerds website are dissing this film; and also as of the time of writing of this review, the world mourns the death of 12 or so patrons who were killed in a premiere of TDKR in Colorado...TDKR starts up as a film with the most to lose from this incident. But the big question is: can TDKR fulfills the incredible expectations that surrounds it? No. Is is a greatPoor TDKR. A lot of film nerds website are dissing this film; and also as of the time of writing of this review, the world mourns the death of 12 or so patrons who were killed in a premiere of TDKR in Colorado...TDKR starts up as a film with the most to lose from this incident. But the big question is: can TDKR fulfills the incredible expectations that surrounds it? No. Is is a great super hero film? Yes. Not as great as TDK but better than Batman Begins. It is surprisingly the most 'comic book'-ish of the Nolan trilogy, with twists, revelations and storyline in line with its source material. Great cinematography and superb technical detail, great soundtrack (albeit a bit overbearing), and most important of all, some great action sequences. I dunno about you though, I feel that Anne Hathaway's Catwoman is the most accurate portrayal of the character ever filmed. Tom Hardy's Bane is not as interesting as the Joker (thanks to Ledger's supreme performance) but he is still a menacing villain. The biggest weakness: one of the plot point during the climax is a little bit too similar of a recent mega blockbuster of late. Nolan also creates too many characters and plot points: it lacks the efficiency and focus of his previous works such as Inception and yes, TDK itself. Worth seeing, but the TDK is still the best comic book film of all time. Lower your expectations a bit, film nerds!! Expand
  43. Feb 4, 2013
    Bane was a much more effective villain for Batman than the Joker. He was calculating and had much bigger designs, and was too smart for Batman (but then again so was Joker), not to mention his superiority in physical strength and fighting skill. I enjoyed his every scene. The best thing about Rises was that the character of Batman was actually developed compared to what pathetic littleBane was a much more effective villain for Batman than the Joker. He was calculating and had much bigger designs, and was too smart for Batman (but then again so was Joker), not to mention his superiority in physical strength and fighting skill. I enjoyed his every scene. The best thing about Rises was that the character of Batman was actually developed compared to what pathetic little time he was allowed in the previous movie to get a chance to appear as a human. The plot was relentless and kept me on the edge. Some convenient plot jumps appeared on second viewing, such as Batman's return from the prison to an occupied Gotham. Expand
  44. Jul 20, 2012
    There is no other super hero film quite like it! Not only is it realistic but it becomes something more art. Under analysis this film does extremely well with allusions to the french revolution among other things. Nolan creates a mood of over arching dread and depression in a way I feel like I've never seen before. As pure entertainment it thrills. As a piece of art it engages with it'sThere is no other super hero film quite like it! Not only is it realistic but it becomes something more art. Under analysis this film does extremely well with allusions to the french revolution among other things. Nolan creates a mood of over arching dread and depression in a way I feel like I've never seen before. As pure entertainment it thrills. As a piece of art it engages with it's numerous techniques that create a feeling of dread as well as being much deeper than that. Nolan may have made the best trilogy of all time. Recently I was extremely big on the amazing spider man but this film does everything it did and so much more. You will not see a better film this year! I guarantee it. Expand
  45. Jul 20, 2012
    Just when i didn't think it was possible, i was proven wrong. "The Dark Knight Rises" tops "The Dark Knight". Wow, talk about an amazing film. Amazing performances all around. Definitely the best goes to Tom Hardy and his exceptional work as Bane, while being excellent, he still wasn't as good as Heath Ledgers job as "The Joker" though, but Bane was still bada$$. Christopher Nolan is aJust when i didn't think it was possible, i was proven wrong. "The Dark Knight Rises" tops "The Dark Knight". Wow, talk about an amazing film. Amazing performances all around. Definitely the best goes to Tom Hardy and his exceptional work as Bane, while being excellent, he still wasn't as good as Heath Ledgers job as "The Joker" though, but Bane was still bada$$. Christopher Nolan is a genius and a mastermind. He has just created the best trilogy ever! I'm sad to see it end but at the same time i have to give a hand for Mr. Nolan and the amazing work he has done and its a good thing he doesn't overdo it and he knows that, one of the reasons why he "ends" it with "The Dark Knight Rises". Whether you're a Batman fan or not, you simply must enjoy this film because it is a pure stroke of genius. Everybody needs to witness this awesome, pulse-pounding, heartracing, and exciting film. Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon Levitt (who was amazing especially) Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, and Michael Caine all had outstanding performances in this movie. This movie in every sense of a way deserves a 10/10. The Dark Knight Rises will leave you with your mind completely blown, and the people who have already seen it know exactly why i say this. Now stop reading this review and go witness Christopher Nolans latest and last Masterpiece of our favorite vigilante "The Batman". Expand
  46. Jul 26, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises even with its flaws, it's the most charming on franchise. Nolan concludes The Dark Knight legend in spectacular fashion with ambitious direction, thoughtful and top-notch performance.
  47. Dec 13, 2013
    A great final chapter to the great trilogy director Nolan brought to us, literally changing the game. However, it´s a step back from the second film "The Dark Knight". The acting is great and good new actors take center. The villain is good, which was difficult to achieve after the memorable Joker Heath Ledger gave us in the previous film. Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gorgon-Levitt play theirA great final chapter to the great trilogy director Nolan brought to us, literally changing the game. However, it´s a step back from the second film "The Dark Knight". The acting is great and good new actors take center. The villain is good, which was difficult to achieve after the memorable Joker Heath Ledger gave us in the previous film. Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gorgon-Levitt play their parts really well. The film is visually impressive and the pace is not bad at all, but after the first hour there are some problems probably caused by the big ambitions the director had, wanting to make this film even bigger than the previous one. Honestly, there are a couple of plot holes. The grandiosity of what´s happening will make you forget about that, but it makes the film instantly worse than The Dark Knight. Again, the score by Hans Zimmer is outstanding and memorable. Overall, great film, the best and more ambitious blockbuster of 2012 along with Prometheus. Expand
  48. Feb 22, 2016
    The dark knight rises is a stunning conclusion to one of the best movie trilogys of all time. While its not the best in the series, and has some story problems, it still remains a solid movie.
  49. BKM
    Jul 21, 2012
    Christopher Nolan's conclusion to his Dark Knight trilogy miraculously lives up to the hype that began following the phenomenal success of 2008's The Dark Knight. This time Batman squares off against Bane, a beefy tank of a villain intent on bringing Gotham to its knees. There's a lot going on in this movie; a plethora of characters to keep up with, eye popping visual effects, a myriadChristopher Nolan's conclusion to his Dark Knight trilogy miraculously lives up to the hype that began following the phenomenal success of 2008's The Dark Knight. This time Batman squares off against Bane, a beefy tank of a villain intent on bringing Gotham to its knees. There's a lot going on in this movie; a plethora of characters to keep up with, eye popping visual effects, a myriad of themes and emotions. Yet Nolan manages to blend them all together for one heck of a ride. The Dark Knight Rises is a summer blockbuster with brains, heart and ambition. It is also one of the best films of the year. Expand
  50. Jul 27, 2012
    A perfect way to end the Epic Trilogy . The Nolan Batman Adventure ends with a very unique way . The story doesn't goes around a end plot it makes the plot through the end . The films silent philological weather was superb . Although it failed to pass TDR im gonna say its like Godfather 2. Never seen a superhero struggle this much to band the bad guys.
    Bale as batman is undoubtedly superb
    Bale as batman is undoubtedly superb . I never thought Bane would pass Joker and i stand corrected . But Tom did really good as Bane . the voice and the body language was superb. The hand to hand combat with Batman was one of THE best scene i have ever seen .
    Anne as catwoman !!! To me Michelle Pfeiffer will always be the best Cat but Anne did surprisingly well the i thought she would. To me she was the shock in the films charterers. and no matter how they said i still knew that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is Robin and Marion Cotillard is Talia al Ghul. So that wasn't shock to me but that little child was Talia that came quiet a shock to me .
    Christopher Nolan direction is super as always but he did better in Inception and TDK.
    Im not that sad to see the end of Nolans batman coz he ended it so amazingly but I hope the next batman film would be more like Batman Arkham City .
  51. Jul 24, 2012
    This film is superb, all by itself. However, it pales in comparison to The Dark Knight. Nearly all performances are what they should be, but Tom Hardy unfortunately fails to satisfy the high expectations of Bane, all with that uncharacteristic over-the-top accent. Bane is indeed devastating, and never before have we seen a superhero beaten to a pulp, slammed to the ground, and kept thereThis film is superb, all by itself. However, it pales in comparison to The Dark Knight. Nearly all performances are what they should be, but Tom Hardy unfortunately fails to satisfy the high expectations of Bane, all with that uncharacteristic over-the-top accent. Bane is indeed devastating, and never before have we seen a superhero beaten to a pulp, slammed to the ground, and kept there for such a long time. Bale continues to shine as Batman, and Michael Cain's Alfred is so heartbreakingly perfect. Yes, the film itself is awesome, but how can you not compare this one to the haunting echoes of it's predecessor? The Dark Knight was about an idea. The Dark Knight Rises is more about devastation, and that is accomplished here. Expand
  52. Feb 23, 2013
    While probably not quite on a par with The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, bigger and darker than the previous instalments, is certainly worthy of being the closing chapter to Christopher Nolan excellent Dark Knight trilogy.

From the awesome opening plane hijack stunt that introduces Bane, the film is littered with action sequences and really is one huge spectacle. On top of the action, the film is balanced by the soul-searching and recovery of Bruce Wayne, not once but twice as well as reasonably well handled themes of social equality.

Tom Hardy brings an intensity to Bane, a different, more physically imposing intensity than Heath Ledger's Joker, and the character is certainly an improvement on the previous portrayal of Bane (Batman Robin!). He is given the best lines of the script to deliver through his menacing mask-affected voice. Anne Hathway plays Selina Kyle (never referred to as Catwoman), and here is where I have an issue with the Nolan brothers. I was intrigued how they would adapt Catwoman into their Dark Knight universe, and for me it was a let down. She is not the true villain of the comics, instead she is pitched as an ambiguous distraction from the battle with Bane, chasing anonymity from her thieving background and willing to side with whoever can grant it to her.

At 165 minutes, TDKR is stretching the limits of an action film run time but managed to keep my attention. Some of the film's plot holes have earned some attention from critics, the only one I had a problem with was how Wayne got back to Gotham with no money, connections and with the city under lock-down. I imagine Christopher Nolan must have spent many night wondering how to conclude his trilogy. Leave it open ended? Retire Batman? Kill Batman? Anyway, his decision worked for me (despite the ending having remarkable parallels to 2011's Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows).
  53. Jul 28, 2012
    Superheroes are usually infallible, except for whatever their one weakness is. What I mean is that after a knock down, drag-out end of the world fight, they are able to get up, wipe the dirt off their shoulder, and walk away without any visible scars. Batman is not superhuman though, he relies on technology and a therapist's dream amount of anger. It has been eight years since theSuperheroes are usually infallible, except for whatever their one weakness is. What I mean is that after a knock down, drag-out end of the world fight, they are able to get up, wipe the dirt off their shoulder, and walk away without any visible scars. Batman is not superhuman though, he relies on technology and a therapist's dream amount of anger. It has been eight years since the events of The Dark Knight and no Gothamite has seen even a glimpse of Batman (Christian Bale). Coincidentally, nobody has seen reclusive billionaire Bruce Wayne either.

Bruce limps now; he shuffles around with a cane, stoops his shoulders, and has no cartilage in his knees. During a fundraiser, he is actually at a disadvantage and lets a cat burglar, Selina Kyle (Anne Hathaway), sneak into his rooms and steal his dead mother's pearls right in front of him. Yep, Bruce Wayne is depressed. Business isn't doing too well either. Along with Lucious Fox (Morgan Freeman) who runs the day-to-day of Wayne Enterprises, Bruce sunk half his money into nuclear fusion research trying to develop clean energy for Gotham City. That avenue does not appear to be taking off any time soon. Alas, if it was just his money, Bruce probably would not be so down in the dumps, but he also took the money of philanthropist and do-gooder Miranda Tate (Marion Cotillard). Bruce really does not like to lose a good looking lady's money. The Dark Knight Rises would be an altogether odd Batman film if the main villains were depression and the recession. No worries, the bad guy this time literally emerges from a dark hole in the ground, wears a grotesque mask on his head, and sounds like a hard to understand Darth Vader. Bane (Tom Hardy) is a big guy. One could say he grew up in a rough neighborhood and has been socialized to become the world's, and naturally Gotham's, leading terrorist. He nonchalantly takes over and disintegrates a CIA aircraft, takes the entire New York Stock Exchange hostage, and oh yeah, gets his hand on a neutron bomb which he hangs over the heads of the woefully unlucky Gotham citizens. Please Batman, come back to us; but there is no Batman to be found. Gotham City blames the Batman for Harvey Dent's death and despite the best efforts of Commissioner Gordon (Gary Oldman) to temper their anger, nobody likes Batman too much.

That is just fine with Alfred (Michael Caine). He is more than happy to see Batman hang up his repelling hooks and leather body suit. Besides, he thinks Bruce Wayne can do the world more good than Batman can; especially an older and weathered Batman. But if it wasn't for those gosh darn meddling kids, Batman probably would have stayed out of this whole mess. Rookie police officer John Blake (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) knows the truth about Bruce Wayne. How? Well, you will have to watch the film for that; needless to say, I thought it was quite the stretch how he figures it out. Blake works for this film's resident jackass, Foley (Matthew Modine), who is angling to take over for an even more weathered Commissioner Gordon.

The Dark Knight Rises is a big film. I do not necessarily mean that in terms of its budget, its expected box office take, or the IMAX screen I saw it on. Just like The Dark Knight, its underlying philosophy is big. The script dives deeper than the ordinary first layer of is he a superhero or a vigilante? Perhaps Alfred is on to something that what the world needs is another philanthropic billionaire and not a guy hopping around town on his latest crazy gadget. The gadget this time is a kind of batwing, but is just odd looking and clunky. Bane also has his own philosophy, but it is more "We are the 99%" taken to the nth degree combined with a dash of mayhem and some spicy nuclear armageddon. I only understood about 80% of Bane's dialogue. There are times when he is truly hard to understand. He voice is amplified by a microphone and I think there is an Irish accent in there. This film is a fine capstone to Director Christopher Nolan's trilogy. It stays away from the campy, make fun of itself side ala Batman Forever and continues the effective choice from the previous film of an incredibly formidable enemy. Just like Heath Ledger's version of the Joker, Bane is not someone you take lightly. Batman can mess around with the Riddler and Mr. Freeze, but Bane would eat those two for breakfast.
  54. Aug 3, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises successfully concludes Christopher Nolan's epic trilogy with amazing scope on the battling themes of romanticism (displayed in Batman Begins) and realism (displayed in The Dark Knight). Filled with great action and set pieces, character pathos, and a strong sense of moral right that drives the caped hero, the film really does rise to expectations (which, for anyThe Dark Knight Rises successfully concludes Christopher Nolan's epic trilogy with amazing scope on the battling themes of romanticism (displayed in Batman Begins) and realism (displayed in The Dark Knight). Filled with great action and set pieces, character pathos, and a strong sense of moral right that drives the caped hero, the film really does rise to expectations (which, for any normal film would be considered beyond expectations, so that's saying something). Set eight years after the events of The Dark Knight, Gotham is thriving under the lie of the actions of Harvey Dent, but masked terrorist Bane causes that tranquility to collapse, driving Bruce Wayne to face the loss of his love interest, Rachel, and his abandonment of his role as the Batman, to save the city. Nolan realizes what most of movie-goers have: there is a lot at stake in a third and final installment in any series. There is a lot to juggle: new characters, references to old characters, adrenaline and emotional fulfillment, plot holes, etc. He overcomes them all and gives us what we want - the finale that is memorable and satisfying. His direction has a way of taking standard action movie stereotypes, filling them with lived in realism, and bringing out genuine tension and thrills. To compare 'Rises' to 'Dark Knight' is difficult. They are two entirely different beasts. The Joker was the trump card in The Dark Knight, but Bane makes for a great villain as well. He is less chaotic and freelance, but still menacing and, unlike the Joker, empathetic near the end. As far as a conclusion, The Dark Knight Rises gets it right. 'Nuff said. Now go watch it. Expand
  55. Aug 22, 2012
    Let me begin the review with this statement: THIS IS THE BEST SUPERHERO FILM MADE SO FAR! I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me because of the Dark Knight and the idiots are going to call the Avengers the best film but forget it, they're just idiots. I have been waiting since 2008 and have watched the first two films almost a hundred times and after watching this third film,Let me begin the review with this statement: THIS IS THE BEST SUPERHERO FILM MADE SO FAR! I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me because of the Dark Knight and the idiots are going to call the Avengers the best film but forget it, they're just idiots. I have been waiting since 2008 and have watched the first two films almost a hundred times and after watching this third film, I can clearly say that it was worth waiting for! The amount of anticipation and that hype it created was too enormous and it all got paid off. Nobody has ever made superhero films like Christopher Nolan, hence this trilogy is the best superhero trilogy. The acting, the direction, the screenplay, the cinematography, the production design, the costumes, the CGIs, the great cast and not releasing it in 3D being one of the most important things; everything about this film was flawless. Moving on to this film, the epic conclusion, I have no words to explain how happy I felt after watching it. Christian Bale's performance as Batman was mesmerizing as ever. And the way Tom Hardy performed as Bane was just astounding, he kept me terrified throughout the film especially after taking over Gotham city. Another important thing to notice was Bane's character, I read somewhere a couple of days ago that it is a superhero film without a superhero, and this is correct. This film focused more on Bane and the Gotham city. Another interesting part was when Bane actually broke Batman's back and sent him to prison, and then Batman rises again and comes back to save his city, that bit was too awesome. Anne Hathaway shined as Catwoman, I liked her performance as well as Joseph Gordon-Levitt's. Every single person in this film did more than amazing and turned it into a masterpiece. Hats off to Christopher Nolan for giving us a masterpiece, a trilogy that would be remembered for centuries. I would really like if this film gets all the big nominations in the Academy Awards and actually wins the Best Picture. This would be the best thing ever! Expand
  56. Jul 21, 2012
    A great film which was the culmination of a fantastic trilogy. The first half an hour or so was pretty slow but the pace quickened up towards the end.
  57. Aug 1, 2012
    Visually stunning, tremendous soundtrack, acceptable performances that caught my attention most was Anne Hathaway, which is strong for the awards this year. that was what it seemed I was: Beine tremendous villain until the end when the bad boom is over and where it was Beine? only as a mere pawn, gruesome end. and wait! Batman died? wtf! but regardless of these details the movie was veryVisually stunning, tremendous soundtrack, acceptable performances that caught my attention most was Anne Hathaway, which is strong for the awards this year. that was what it seemed I was: Beine tremendous villain until the end when the bad boom is over and where it was Beine? only as a mere pawn, gruesome end. and wait! Batman died? wtf! but regardless of these details the movie was very good but never as The Dark Knight. Heath Ledger's Joker will go down in history. Expand
  58. Jul 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the smartest Directors of our generation is about to conclude his famous saga. Oh yes, you should anticipate what is he going to do next. Christopher Nolan has built a superb franchise through two successful prequels BATMAN BEGINS (2005) and THE DARK KNIGHT (2008). No wonder everyone is hyped about it and the excitement is rising high. The Batman character has changed a lot over the years. The two most important influences are Frank Miller graphic novel BATMAN: YEAR ONE (1987) and Tim Burton movie BATMAN (1989), not just changing the image entirely but also affecting today superhero movies. What I am trying to say is you will soon witness a historic event as well. We are going to see the next phase of Batman transition. In thiz grand finale to an epic trilogy, Christopher Nolan definitely takes Batman to the whole new level. Christian Bale also deserves a credit for making Bruce Wayne character even more dynamic and attractive. Bale is certainly not just an ordinary Actor, he can play any character he wants, not just good, but great. I do not know why Nolan takes so many risks by changing the winning formula. Spoiler Alert! There are more day scenes than night scenes, Bruce Wayne becomes poor, firing Alfred and other radical changes. As a matter of fact, it was not Bat at all! I do not feel like I have been watching Batman movie, it was more like a typical Nolan movie that happens to be Batman in it. There is no doubt that the Joker was potrayed amazingly by the late Heath Ledger in THE DARK KNIGHT (2008). Christopher Nolan himself knows very well that he should find something new, something phenomenal enough to replace it. Well, at least he has done half of his homework. Although the merciless masked villain Bane (Tom Hardy) is very terrifying, especially through his monstrous voice and intimidating appearance, but it is lack of character. Catwoman does not leave any impression. Yes, she is still sexy but only physically. I can hardly remember anything besides Catwoman becomes Anne Hathaway, instead of the other way around. Better performances come from two Cast members of INCEPTION (2010), Marion Cotillard and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It makes five of them, the others are Tom Hardy, Michael Caine and Cillian Murphy. The other regular Cast members are Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon and Morgan Freeman as Lucious Fox. In fact, in the middle of the story, the movie loses its track, too many unnecessary scenes, sometimes too wordy and almost flat out boring. Even worse, it is compounded by one-dimensional fight choreography. Everytime Batman and Bane fight, it looks like B-Class movie. But I still think The Bike Chase Scene is spectacular. In the end, hey it is Christopher Nolan! Of course, he saves something for the ending. Finally, I can say the epic concludes with a very classy way, typical Nolan twists and turns. It is another ambiguous ending from him. Dont you ever discuss it or you will find yourself in the middle of never-ending debate about what really happened at the end of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES. No more spoilers, find your own hints. Have a nice Bat!

Visit My Blog on JONNY
  59. Jul 22, 2012
    Nolan wraps up his trilogy in a satisfying way, despite some glaring thematic issues. The film's production values were predictably outstanding and especially stunning in (real) IMAX. But I thought most of the anti-government/wall street/1% percent rhetoric fell flat. It just seemed clumsy and not fully realized. That being said, the film is wildly entertaining and a mostly worthyNolan wraps up his trilogy in a satisfying way, despite some glaring thematic issues. The film's production values were predictably outstanding and especially stunning in (real) IMAX. But I thought most of the anti-government/wall street/1% percent rhetoric fell flat. It just seemed clumsy and not fully realized. That being said, the film is wildly entertaining and a mostly worthy conclusion to the trilogy. Expand
  60. Mar 4, 2013
    The best movie of the summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was action packed, perfectly and carefully directed, and the villain Bane was fantastic. The only flaw was that Anne Hathaway wasn't very good as Catwoman.
  61. Jan 8, 2015
    The Dark Knight Rises is a 2012 superhero film directed by Christopher Nolan, who co-wrote the screenplay with his brother Jonathan Nolan, and the story, with David S. Goyer. Featuring the DC Comics character Batman, the film is the final installment in Nolan's Batman film trilogy, and the sequel to Batman Begins (2005) and The Dark Knight (2008). Christian Bale reprises the lead role ofThe Dark Knight Rises is a 2012 superhero film directed by Christopher Nolan, who co-wrote the screenplay with his brother Jonathan Nolan, and the story, with David S. Goyer. Featuring the DC Comics character Batman, the film is the final installment in Nolan's Batman film trilogy, and the sequel to Batman Begins (2005) and The Dark Knight (2008). Christian Bale reprises the lead role of Bruce Wayne/Batman, with a returning cast of allies: Michael Caine as Alfred Pennyworth, Gary Oldman as James Gordon, and Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox. The film introduces Selina Kyle (Anne Hathaway), a sly, morally ambiguous cat burglar, and Bane (Tom Hardy), a mercenary bent on destroying Gotham City who forces an older Bruce Wayne to come out of retirement and become Batman again. Expand
  62. Dec 9, 2012
    Very dark as always, with a foreboding, apocalyptic feel about it. These Nolan films are intense. Good amounts of character development as always but at the expense of more action. For me Batman Begins was the only Nolan film that struck the right balance, especially with that truly epic ending on the train. This film just didn't climax for me. And Bale's Batman voice still bothers me.Very dark as always, with a foreboding, apocalyptic feel about it. These Nolan films are intense. Good amounts of character development as always but at the expense of more action. For me Batman Begins was the only Nolan film that struck the right balance, especially with that truly epic ending on the train. This film just didn't climax for me. And Bale's Batman voice still bothers me. Give me Batman Returns any day. There I said it. Expand
  63. May 25, 2016
    While it's clearly not as superlative as its famous predecessor, it's simply because of both Heath Ledger's outstanding and Oscar-winning performance, and the character of the Joker's etching in our collective unconscious as the greatest comic-book villain ever created (with Lex Luthor a very distant second place). This is still a masterwork, and is an excellent coda to the finest filmicWhile it's clearly not as superlative as its famous predecessor, it's simply because of both Heath Ledger's outstanding and Oscar-winning performance, and the character of the Joker's etching in our collective unconscious as the greatest comic-book villain ever created (with Lex Luthor a very distant second place). This is still a masterwork, and is an excellent coda to the finest filmic trilogy ever made. As great as Christopher Nolan is as a director, and as fine a film as 'Interstellar' is, I really don't know if he'll ever be able to top his work here, on these three films. But I, for one, am certainly looking forward to finding out... Expand
  64. Mar 30, 2016
    WHAT I LIKED: The Batman story concludes, this time it's even more epic, Nolan engaging us with a higher-stakes story, as well as continuing the deep and themeic beats of it's predecessor. Improved cohesive writing and a more established tone make for a film that fits and flows much better too. What's more, the whole final action sequence will have you gripped on the edge of year seat. AllWHAT I LIKED: The Batman story concludes, this time it's even more epic, Nolan engaging us with a higher-stakes story, as well as continuing the deep and themeic beats of it's predecessor. Improved cohesive writing and a more established tone make for a film that fits and flows much better too. What's more, the whole final action sequence will have you gripped on the edge of year seat. All the great things from this epic franchise amalgamate here, and the coming together had me close to tears. It's the grittiest, most engaging and well-balanced film in the trilogy. This'll make you think, but it also makes you feel something
    WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Does Nolan really have to go quite this far to explore the themes that he wants to? It's sure told better here than in 'The Dark Knight,' but the actual story makes even less sense than before. And whilst I complained before about sloppy storytelling, this actually gets extremely bogged down in the middle of it's expansive run-time.
    VERDICT: Batman goes full circle. 'The Dark Knight Rises' masterfully combines the best of the first's storytelling, and the second film's ideas. The result just could have been a bit more grounded. And shorter.
  65. Jul 30, 2012
    There's a particular idea thrown around in Hollywood these days. Large-scale blockbusters that were created with a budget of millions of dollars seem to be praised for the sake of it, claiming the effort that was put into the film was what made it successful, rather than how much money was put into such a project. Of course, that doesn't mean to say that every blockbuster is veiled asThere's a particular idea thrown around in Hollywood these days. Large-scale blockbusters that were created with a budget of millions of dollars seem to be praised for the sake of it, claiming the effort that was put into the film was what made it successful, rather than how much money was put into such a project. Of course, that doesn't mean to say that every blockbuster is veiled as clever and breath-taking. The Dark Knight didn't resort to such cheesiness. With actors and actresses like that, the plot became a rainbow of viewpoints. It might feel over complicated, it might pretend to look clever, but with the introduction of new characters and continuation with previous ones, it takes into account the usefulness of each of their contribution to the plot. We gained an unusual power balance and for once, we discovered how different it felt for Bruce Wayne to not have the upper hand for longer than we expected, which was fresh. Not all blockbusters can create multiple characters and remember to include them so they feel part of it - sometimes directors neglect certain characters that could be important to the story. I loved the perception of Bane to create a politically and socially fuelled attack on the rich which was executed with such precision. It wasn't all out action - emotional aspects of action films need to be performed quite carefully and we were given a deeper and darker meaning within the film, rather than not having to explain things and so take them at face value. Christian Bale could be the only possible one to pull off such insecurity and determination, no one could look like they had another side that was properly executed, or be empathised with better. The acting was brilliant and the atmosphere gave you whatever feeling you were seeing on the screen. It wasn't at all dragged out, which I worry about with these particular lengths of film. What I didn't like about the film was the beginning, which often just peters out at the beginning of films as it just wants to get on with the film. Directors and writers shouldn't be afraid that the beginning will just go on too long so they miss out on such great achievements with the rest of the film. It also took so long for something proper to happen that Nolan usually pulls off with the Batman films. Talking isn't a problem - it's if you talk continuously and try to form the idea in a clever way when it doesn't work. In some parts, this film did try to look clever, but it tried in a particular way that is attributed to these sort of films, instead of 'hey look, I'm looking all meaningful and clever, in your face' kind of way, where you actually knew that it was pretending to be clever. In the meantime, despite some of these flaws, which you could perhaps think are significant, didn't stop it being one of the greatest films of all time. The pros majorly outweighed the cons, but what was the best attributes to this film was the mind-blowing acting of Christian Bale, where, despite being THE main character, didn't take first position in screen-time. He let other people have a chance, and director Christopher Nolan certainly helped create this film to be so breath-taking in personality as well as looks. Expand
  66. Jul 28, 2012
    "The Dark Knight" is the final story of Nolan's Batman and with the series there is a lot of lose ends to tie up and to my pleasure Nolan succeeds. He really brings the series full circle, reaching as far as the first movie. Even though the film doesn't mention the Joker, you can feel his presence through the earlier parts of the film. It feels complete and doesn't leave any loose ends,"The Dark Knight" is the final story of Nolan's Batman and with the series there is a lot of lose ends to tie up and to my pleasure Nolan succeeds. He really brings the series full circle, reaching as far as the first movie. Even though the film doesn't mention the Joker, you can feel his presence through the earlier parts of the film. It feels complete and doesn't leave any loose ends, well non that I noticed.

The film is about fear and how we must overcome it. Even if we aren't afraid fear is what keeps us going. We need to not be afraid, but we embrace it to push forward. Another theme of the film is the symbol of heroism. It can come from anywhere, but it takes one icon to carry it forward. The last major theme of the film is Moving on. There is only so much one can do and they have to know when enough is enough. A lot of heavy themes, but handle with great care.

The film is very well written and directed. We get a lot of nice sweep through the city and some really heart pounding moments. The fight scenes are well choreographed and feel as if it too is telling a story. I really like how the movie weave in the cities inner politics with the action. Even the movie is near 3hrs long, it is packed with a lot of meat. There never seems to be a dull moment. It feels like you're getting your 3hr worth of entertainment. From a dialogue point it is great too. However, at time it can feel sort of cheese mainly towards the end when Wayne has to escape from somewhere.

The characters and acting are all great. I feel like Christian Bale has finally refined his role as Batman. I felt his emotions and his body language spoke volumes. The new entries are great from Joseph Gordon-Levitt to Marion Cotillard and the older characters are just as great. My two favorite stand outs are Michael Caine and Anne Hathaway. Caine, as Alfred, really gave a powerful performance, one I think is worthy of an Oscar nomination. One scene in particular is the confrontation between Albert and Wayne, some really powerful stuff. Hathaway, as Selina, is sly, sleek, and sexy. She stole almost every scene she was in. She's a strong character with a lot of depth. She's funny, emotional, and very smart. The only disappointment is Tom Hardy as Bane. Nothing wrong with his acting, he actually gave a great performance. My only problem is that Bane is such a intimidating character with a lot of layers, but his voice ruins his impact. The voice is so over the top and cartoony that it doesn't fit in the very grim and real world Nolan created. Almost every time he spoke I was slightly detracted from the film.

Overall "The Dark Knight" is a really good film with a lot of depth and fully realized characters. However, the final confrontation between Bane and Batman is incredibly lack luster and the plot twist is incredibly stupid and contrived. It not only ruins the credibility of Bane, but also makes certain motivations unclear. Fortunately the very last scenes make up for most of the fall that the plot twist brought. I give is a very very very high 4/5, a satisfying conclusion to one of the biggest trilogies of the past decade.

"Muy Caliente"
  67. Apr 19, 2014
    A great, great movie. Not as good as the dark knight in my opinion but still one of my all time favourite movies. Awesome fight scenes especially including bane and just the right amount of dialogue in it too. And the ending is absolutely amazing and one of the best endings to a movie I have ever seen. Can't wait for the next Batman movie.
  68. Aug 5, 2012
    A very worthy ending to the best trilogy ever put together in this genre. For my money it still does not equal the excellence of Dark Knight, but no super hero ever has, and probably never will. The first half of this movie moved a little slow for me, but the payoff in the second half was worth the wait. There have been a lot of complaints about this movie, and most of them surround plotA very worthy ending to the best trilogy ever put together in this genre. For my money it still does not equal the excellence of Dark Knight, but no super hero ever has, and probably never will. The first half of this movie moved a little slow for me, but the payoff in the second half was worth the wait. There have been a lot of complaints about this movie, and most of them surround plot holes. Unless a plot hole severely ruins my enjoyment of a movie in this genre I don't even concern myself with them, they are all over these types of films. One of the things that I have enjoyed the most about Nolan's Batman is the grittiness and believability of the villains, and Rises was no exception to this. I was very worried when I heard that Catwomen was going to become part of this franchise, as I had never seen this character written or performed in a way that I enjoy. Nolan and Hathaway changed all that in this film, and she turned out to be one of the better characters in this trilogy. While Bane is the greatest villain ever, his physical presence in this movie is truly something to be reckoned with. I think that this character was the perfect choice for what Nolan was trying to do at the end of this franchise. No spoilers in this review, I will say that everything paid off for me. While I am disappointed that Nolan is done with my favorite super hero. I am thrilled that I have such a cool trio of movies to enjoy for the rest of my life. Expand
  69. Jul 27, 2012
    I say the movie is more 8.5 total. Better than "The Amazing Spiderman". Not as good as the second movie in this new batman trilogy. I feel the movie drags a bit in the beginning. The story relates to the first one with no real mention of the Joker for obvious reasons and is difficult to follow at times. But overall the movie very satisfying and is a great ride. The acting is superb allI say the movie is more 8.5 total. Better than "The Amazing Spiderman". Not as good as the second movie in this new batman trilogy. I feel the movie drags a bit in the beginning. The story relates to the first one with no real mention of the Joker for obvious reasons and is difficult to follow at times. But overall the movie very satisfying and is a great ride. The acting is superb all around and the plot actually believable to an extent. See this movie if you haven't already. Expand
  70. Oct 18, 2014
    It has been eight years since Batman vanished into the night, turning, in that instant, from hero to fugitive. Assuming the blame for the death of D.A. Harvey Dent, the Dark Knight sacrificed everything for what he and Commissioner Gordon both hoped was the greater good. For a time the lie worked, as criminal activity in Gotham City was crushed under the weight of the anti-crime Dent Act.It has been eight years since Batman vanished into the night, turning, in that instant, from hero to fugitive. Assuming the blame for the death of D.A. Harvey Dent, the Dark Knight sacrificed everything for what he and Commissioner Gordon both hoped was the greater good. For a time the lie worked, as criminal activity in Gotham City was crushed under the weight of the anti-crime Dent Act. But everything will change with the arrival of a cunning cat burglar with a mysterious agenda. Far more dangerous, however, is the emergence of Bane, a masked terrorist whose ruthless plans for Gotham drive Bruce out of his self-imposed exile. Expand
  71. Dec 25, 2012
    An awesome finale to the series. Not as good as "The Avengers" or "The Amazing Spider-man", but still a very good superhero movie. The best plot and action in the whole series, and the most twists and turns which will glue your eyes to the TV screen. Without a doubt among the best movies in all of 2012.
  72. Aug 16, 2012
    The closing chapter to Nolan's Batman Trilogy does not dissapoint. The story is quite elaborate...for a superhero film. The film has a realistic feel and everything looks quite believable thx to the fantastic VFX and set construction. The one strange thing that bothered me a bit was that this movie takes place almost completely during the day, which undermines the 'eternal darkness'The closing chapter to Nolan's Batman Trilogy does not dissapoint. The story is quite elaborate...for a superhero film. The film has a realistic feel and everything looks quite believable thx to the fantastic VFX and set construction. The one strange thing that bothered me a bit was that this movie takes place almost completely during the day, which undermines the 'eternal darkness' feeling that seemed to hang over Gotham in the previous films. But if you've seen the first 2 you'll want to know how it ends right ;) Expand
  73. Jul 22, 2016
    The Dark Knight Rises is the best conclusion to any superhero series out there. Its also just a really damn good movie. I still like The Dark Knight slightly more, but damn is it ever close. What I love most about The Dark Knight Rises is how ambitious it is; with its over the top action set pieces - but the great thing is Nolan pulls them all off perfectly. Thanks to the use of practicalThe Dark Knight Rises is the best conclusion to any superhero series out there. Its also just a really damn good movie. I still like The Dark Knight slightly more, but damn is it ever close. What I love most about The Dark Knight Rises is how ambitious it is; with its over the top action set pieces - but the great thing is Nolan pulls them all off perfectly. Thanks to the use of practical effects, the crashing plane for example is astounding to watch on screen. But its also the writing, the casting, the performances, and the music that sets the bar so high. The Dark Knight Rises does the first two films justice thus creating the best superhero trilogy of all time. Expand
  74. Nov 14, 2012
    It's no Dark Knight, but the Dark Knight Rises is definitely a satisfying conclusion to Nolan's trilogy. The characters aren't as memorable, but the cinematography and score are both fantastic and the whole thing holds an epic air about it that really works.
  75. Aug 6, 2012
    What I Like To Call
    Movie Of The Year
  76. Jan 17, 2015
    Its a good movie. As always fantastic acting. I didn't like the story in this one that much. I don't know it didn't seem that worked out to me. The previous movie is still the best one in the trilogy.
  77. Aug 5, 2013
    Christopher Nolan puts an explosive exclamation mark on his incredible Batman trilogy. It's rare that trilogies succeed all the way through, but this movie ends the trilogy in hauntingly memorable fashion with all the emotion, terror and heroism that defines the caped crusader and the world around him.
  78. Mar 26, 2015
    9.5/10................................................................................................................................................
  79. Sep 22, 2012
    Thanks to powerful performances, exciting action, and a thrilling script with one of the best endings every in a movie series, The Dark Knight Rises effectively and epically ends Christopher Nolan's masterful Dark Knight trilogy.
  80. Aug 13, 2012
    If I was to call The Dark Knight (2008) a cinematic masterpiece then what would The Dark Knight Rises be? I call it the best superhero film ever made and a more than fitting end to the TDK trilogy that Christopher Nolan has formed. After the death of Rachel in TDK Bruce has hung up his cape and hides away in his manor. With Dent dead criminals are now locked up quicker than ever thanks toIf I was to call The Dark Knight (2008) a cinematic masterpiece then what would The Dark Knight Rises be? I call it the best superhero film ever made and a more than fitting end to the TDK trilogy that Christopher Nolan has formed. After the death of Rachel in TDK Bruce has hung up his cape and hides away in his manor. With Dent dead criminals are now locked up quicker than ever thanks to the Harvey Dent protocol established by Jim Gordon. However one man knows the secret about Dent, a terrorist by the name of Bane. Bane reveals the truth about Dent thereby setting free all of Gotham's prisoners. Batman must once again rise to the challenge and stop this madman calling for allies of the likes of Catwoman, Robin and his massive armoury that he has amassed over the year for a fight that will bring both you and Gotham City to its knees. Expand
  81. Feb 8, 2016
    "The Dark Knight Rises" was a somewhat flawed masterpiece that succeeded in response to the massive amount of hype it got when it was deemed as the end for the "Nolan-verse." The film does suffer from some stretched-out plot holes and clichés but the movie's story-line is tight and packed with enough action, drama, and emotion to keep you in your seat and glued. The performances were"The Dark Knight Rises" was a somewhat flawed masterpiece that succeeded in response to the massive amount of hype it got when it was deemed as the end for the "Nolan-verse." The film does suffer from some stretched-out plot holes and clichés but the movie's story-line is tight and packed with enough action, drama, and emotion to keep you in your seat and glued. The performances were great, I was thoroughly impressed with just how awesome Bane turned out to be in this movie. I was skeptical at first upon hearing Tom Hardy was going to play him but boy was I wrong, Hardy blew me away with a well acted and utterly terrifying portrayal of Bane as the muscled up criminal master-mind that he wasn't in Batman & Robin. However, I felt Bale's batman, despite his stellar performance, got progressively worse as this series went on. His Batman was awesome in Begins, somewhat average in Dark Knight, and I felt hit rock bottom in Rises. I get Nolan was going for a more realistic take on the Batverse but his Batman was almost nothing like he was in the comics or even in the acclaimed Arkham Games. His voice was awful, He relied too much on military grade technology, lacked the true detective and intelligence that Batman displays in the comics and was just ultimately a disappointing Batman when he was a great one in Begins. I'm digressing somewhat but I just felt he wasn't as good as Michael Keaton was in terms of live action Batman. In terms of the movie, its superb to where its on point with Dark Knight and will keep you on the edge of your seat. Expand
  82. Jun 23, 2015
    I can't believe what a perfect sequel this is. This film is the perfect way to continue the events on The Dark Knight, and to present its own unique story without depending so much on the previous one, being again flawless and perfect, and having all the good things that made that one so interesting. The only thing I didn't like about this one so much was the villain. Don't get me wrong,I can't believe what a perfect sequel this is. This film is the perfect way to continue the events on The Dark Knight, and to present its own unique story without depending so much on the previous one, being again flawless and perfect, and having all the good things that made that one so interesting. The only thing I didn't like about this one so much was the villain. Don't get me wrong, Bane is one of the most perfect villains that have ever been on screen. It's just that being better than how the Joker was with Heath Ledger is almost impossible. Anyway, flawless movie. Expand
  83. Jul 30, 2012
    Absolutely unbelievable as you will not be able to take your eyes off the screen especially whenever Bane appears. He is deliciously evil. This flick has a shot although a comic book action movie to be nominated for BEST PICTURE. Strong supporting cast that work very well together. Go see and enjoy.
  84. Sep 2, 2012
    The plot of the film is not very complex but is the way in which it was structured that makes the whole magnificent. I loved how they were treated the characters and each plays a primary role in the film (including Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who I thought he would have a marginal role but ...). They talked about all the characters without skipping one. Fantastic as always Christian Bale,The plot of the film is not very complex but is the way in which it was structured that makes the whole magnificent. I loved how they were treated the characters and each plays a primary role in the film (including Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who I thought he would have a marginal role but ...). They talked about all the characters without skipping one. Fantastic as always Christian Bale, Michael Cayne (including I loved their relation as if they were their own family), Gary Oldam and all the actors of the original cast. Of the new entries I absolutely adored Anne Hathaway in the role of Selina Kyle where it was very good and I have to say maybe even better than Michelle Pfeiffer. Then Tom Hardy who plays Bane was formidable. Him, because of the mask, had to play with eyes and it was fabulous. In his eyes he read the intelligence of Bane (not like Batman and Robin) and looking at him he seemed to be always thinking of a strategy. Wonderful action scenes that, with marvelous special effects, leaves the audience speechless. The other things that surprised me were all the metaphors used in the film that you can not help but see and I liked a lot. I must say that some hole in the script there but nothing that bothers. One thing that some said is that in the film the time passed too quickly, which is not true because if you listen to the movie you can see how time has passed and you realize that there was a time jump to the plot. So for me the film is truly a masterpiece and would recommend to everyone, fan or not, going to see it because it's worth it. Collapse
  85. Jul 25, 2012
    The best superhero movie ever. The hands down best movie of the year... 10/10. Bane is an awesome villain, the ending is the best I've ever seen, and this is hands down the best superhero movie ever.
  86. Oct 27, 2013
    this is undoubtely the best super heroe movie ever made so far,it don´t have a markable acting as heath ledger but still have an amazing story and great characters.
  87. Nov 1, 2013
    There's just something special about the Batman games and films. They just feel epic and triple A... probably because they ARE. As cliché as the plot might be, it's done in such an epic, high quality manner that makes this one of the best films. Perhaps it's a lot less characterful and more predictable than the 2007 film, but everything about it is blockbuster action. OK so the storylineThere's just something special about the Batman games and films. They just feel epic and triple A... probably because they ARE. As cliché as the plot might be, it's done in such an epic, high quality manner that makes this one of the best films. Perhaps it's a lot less characterful and more predictable than the 2007 film, but everything about it is blockbuster action. OK so the storyline wasn't perfect and there were some gaps but if you try to follow just the main events, it's actually an amazing film even if you know nothing about the batman universe. It manages to be very mainstream without losing its core identity. For hardcore fans of Batman it's probably not the greatest but I'd still say it's worth watching even for its most ardent sceptics. Expand
  88. Nov 29, 2013
    The film isn't too shabby, as taking off eight years after the events in The Dark Knight. Now, it has a good story to it, which made it good, but the way it was put together could have been better. But overall, a movie that is worth seeing.
  89. Jun 25, 2015
    I loved this movie when I saw it in the theater. I liked Tom Hardy's Bane(certainly better than Batman & Robin), Anne Hathaway does a good job and Christian Bale gives a good performance when he's usually not in the Batman suit.
    It's been nearly 3 years and it's not as great as when I saw it in the theater, but it's a good finale to Nolan's trilogy.
  90. Jul 21, 2012
    From the incredible opening sequence to the jaw-dropping finale, The Dark Knight Rises is incredible. It falters briefly in the beginning, which is mostly dialogue, but it instantly picks up the pace and ends beautifully, giving a very satisfying conclusion to an epic trilogy.
  91. Mar 20, 2016

There will probably never be a darker superhero series than what we have seen with Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises; these movies have forever altered the way viewers see superhero stories and the way filmmakers approach them. Before Batman Begins, there was a standard template that most superhero movies followed (some more closely than others). Batman Begins cracked the mold and The Dark Knight smashed it. Those weren't lightweight entertainment for popcorn-munching Saturday matinee viewers. They were deep, rich motion pictures - films that could proudly stand alongside any serious Oscar contender released in November or December (although, inexplicably, The Dark Knight was snubbed in the Best Picture category, with The Curious Case of Benjamin Button getting a nod instead). Now, makers of superhero movies are faced with a choice: either go huge like The Avengers or go serious like The Dark Knight. Nolan has helped render the traditional approach obsolete.

Fans of the Caped Crusader have a long wait before he makes his appearance and, when he finally arrives, he isn't what he used to be. A commentary on mortality, perhaps? It's not the only philosophizing Nolan does. As was true in the previous installments, he shows an obsession with sociology and the essence of human nature. When faced with the grimmest possible outcome, do people turn rabid? Or, as The Joker learned, is there something more enlightened buried deep within mankind? A lot of what happens during the course of The Dark Knight Rises hearkens back to Batman Begins not only in terms of thematic content but in terms of narrative thrust.

92. Jul 28, 2012
    Again, like the dark knight, this is a spectacular movie. It's insanely good, It's at least as good as the dark knight, it may even be better, but I'm not sure, the dark knight has the joker, which is not just the best villain, but was portrayed incredibly well by Heath Ledgers, he was a brilliant actor. But there was some great acting in this film, like Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne. TheAgain, like the dark knight, this is a spectacular movie. It's insanely good, It's at least as good as the dark knight, it may even be better, but I'm not sure, the dark knight has the joker, which is not just the best villain, but was portrayed incredibly well by Heath Ledgers, he was a brilliant actor. But there was some great acting in this film, like Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne. The action is immensely tense and exciting to watch, it has a very interesting plot that has a few shocking twists, a good, well-written dialogue, and yes, it has a very satisfying ending. It totally deserves a 10/10! Expand
  93. Oct 24, 2012
    I can't put my finger on why, but this never felt like a Nolan Batman movie. It may have been because of all the new characters and how every one of them had tasks to do simply to be involved in the trilogy finale. It's still great fun and concludes one of the best series if all time. Just know that it's no "Dark Knight" or even "Begins".
  94. Jul 21, 2012
    '' The Dark Knight Rises '' is a satisfying end to this amazing trilogy. There are so many good things about this movie, that it's almost flawless. It had good acting, great story, character development, everything. In my opinion, I think that '' The Dark Knight '' was a little bit better, maybe because of the Joker, but whatever. Anyway, it's so rare to see a trilogy so great, without one'' The Dark Knight Rises '' is a satisfying end to this amazing trilogy. There are so many good things about this movie, that it's almost flawless. It had good acting, great story, character development, everything. In my opinion, I think that '' The Dark Knight '' was a little bit better, maybe because of the Joker, but whatever. Anyway, it's so rare to see a trilogy so great, without one bad movie. Thank you Christopher Nolan for remaking and saving the Batman movies (we all remember the terrible '' Batman and Robin '' (1997)). People shouldn't really compare it with '' The Avengers '', because there are both great superhero movies. '' The Avengers '' had better action, '' The Dark Knight Rises '' had a more interesting story, that's all I'm saying . The only bad aspect I can think of this movie is that some moments were long and a little bit boring, but otherwise it's enjoyable. It definitely lives up to the hype. When the film finished, the audience applauded. Expand
  95. Nov 22, 2015
    A lot of heavy things happening in an occasionally bloated film. It starts at a 7 for the first hour and drops to a 6 and maybe a 5 by the time the climax rolls around. It has great moments, but far too many. Bane is a cool villain, but wasn't complimentary to anyone else except to Batman. It has life in spurts and is incredible but then sometimes boring. It reaches an 8/10 by the final 15A lot of heavy things happening in an occasionally bloated film. It starts at a 7 for the first hour and drops to a 6 and maybe a 5 by the time the climax rolls around. It has great moments, but far too many. Bane is a cool villain, but wasn't complimentary to anyone else except to Batman. It has life in spurts and is incredible but then sometimes boring. It reaches an 8/10 by the final 15 minutes, where the movie reaches beyond it's blatant flaws, in the end the dark Knight rises. Expand
  96. Dec 19, 2012
    The movie is good. It's not a classic, but it's a well rounded film. The Dark Knight, was unbelievably great. A classic, in fact, in my book. The problem, is it starts off slow, and the ending is by the far the best way to end a trilogy. Acting is great, but Heath Ledger will always be compared to Tom Hardy. Simply, Ledger was the b etter villian. A great movie. Sometimes, I was littleThe movie is good. It's not a classic, but it's a well rounded film. The Dark Knight, was unbelievably great. A classic, in fact, in my book. The problem, is it starts off slow, and the ending is by the far the best way to end a trilogy. Acting is great, but Heath Ledger will always be compared to Tom Hardy. Simply, Ledger was the b etter villian. A great movie. Sometimes, I was little bored, but only for a few minutes. Expand
  97. May 10, 2013
    I really loved this movie, everything about it is perfect, the plot is well tied, the acting is excelent, the ending is fantastic, the action scenes that are more abundantly aparencem very well made​​, and closes with style this epic trilogy.
  98. Jan 11, 2015
    Yet another amazing Batman film that drags out of some parts but otherwise delivers amazing action sequences and spectacular special effects along with the new rival Bane. This film contains perhaps the best plot of the trilogy.
  99. May 7, 2016
    The Dark Knight Rises does what has to be done for the conclusion of a trilogy. It raises the stakes and gives our titular hero his biggest and most dangerous foe yet. And the result is a suitably grim yet epic finale filled with exciting, heart pounding action and incredible cinematic moments. It's a really great comic book movie.
  100. Sep 17, 2015
    On previous occasions I have judged this film more harshly than it deserves. After revisiting it, I realize that this is as good a conclusion as Christopher Nolan could have crafted for his masterful trilogy and is a worthy follow-up to "The Dark Knight". This film exhibits the same extraordinary craftsmanship that have set Nolan's Batman films apart from every other superhero film goingOn previous occasions I have judged this film more harshly than it deserves. After revisiting it, I realize that this is as good a conclusion as Christopher Nolan could have crafted for his masterful trilogy and is a worthy follow-up to "The Dark Knight". This film exhibits the same extraordinary craftsmanship that have set Nolan's Batman films apart from every other superhero film going and is certainly as ambitious and well-acted as its predecessors, even if its reach exceeds its grasp which is not, in itself, a dishonorable thing. Tom Hardy is the film's greatest asset - his turn as Bane may well prove to be as career-defining and iconic as Ledger's Joker. Gary Oldman is reliably excellent as Commissioner Gordon and Christian Bale is as good as he's ever been in the role of Batman. Perhaps the greatest failing of the trilogy was to introduce so many new characters in the final act, but there are no complaints to be had about the actors themselves. One only wishes we could have seen more of Joseph Gordon-Levitt or Marion Cotillard in the series. Ultimately, this is a solid conclusion and a fitting end to the trilogy and while it will not go down as Nolan's opus, I think it shall and should be regarded as one of the greatest superhero films of all time. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.