The Dark Knight Rises

8.2

1. Jul 20, 2012
    Surpasses the Dark Knight, a movie that stood solely on the shoulders of Ledger and was great despite it. The few who do complain I will tell you are too thick to appreciate the intricate beauty of the plot and scope of the movie (or perhaps a bit too slow to fully comprehend it) or wanted another batman that was great simply because of a great villain. Bane was not as much the focus ofSurpasses the Dark Knight, a movie that stood solely on the shoulders of Ledger and was great despite it. The few who do complain I will tell you are too thick to appreciate the intricate beauty of the plot and scope of the movie (or perhaps a bit too slow to fully comprehend it) or wanted another batman that was great simply because of a great villain. Bane was not as much the focus of this one as the joker was in the Dark Knight, and the movie is better for it. Bale, Hatheway and Levitt turn in great performances and Bane is a great foil that doesn't completely steal the show. Those familiar with Bane's origins will be pleased this is a great interpretation of the character that.... let's just say doesn't miss any notes :). There is one weird twist that I cannot discuss for the purposes of spoilers that felt rather unnecessary, but it was a real treat for viewers who tire of movies that treat them like idiots Expand
  2. dst
    Jul 20, 2012
    Sensationally concludes one of the greatest trilogies of modern cinema, and gives Bruce Wayne/Batman a satisfactory ending. Despite seeming muddled, flawed and overly complex at the beginning of the film the final act brings it's entirety together spectacularly and resolves questions that were asked even in the two prior films, bring the trilogy in a fulfilling circle.
  3. Jul 20, 2012
    One word describes this movie EPIC!

The final chapter of the Dark Knight series goes out with a bang...intense actions sequences, superb acting, great soundtrack, and great story. Watched the midnight IMAX show ....totally worth the price of admission and it was mesmerizing because everything is just flawless! MUST WATCH! best movie of 2012!
  4. Jul 20, 2012
    absolutely amazing ok the best villain of the trilogy was heath ledger but tom hardy was amazing in his own right christian bale embodies batman and bruce wayne, christopher nolan deserves an oscar for this movie its that good just brilliant. beautifully shoot in imax great story and ann hathaway was unbelievable great she totally deserves her own catwoman movie can not recommend thisabsolutely amazing ok the best villain of the trilogy was heath ledger but tom hardy was amazing in his own right christian bale embodies batman and bruce wayne, christopher nolan deserves an oscar for this movie its that good just brilliant. beautifully shoot in imax great story and ann hathaway was unbelievable great she totally deserves her own catwoman movie can not recommend this seminal movie any higher GO AND SEE IT NOW Expand
  5. Sep 19, 2013
    Back in 2005, a friend of mine asked me to watch Batman Begins at a local theatre in our city. Not knowing what the movie would be like, I went into the theater and found myself wondering with this question later: "Wait, so Batman is a ninja?"

I eternally grateful of my friend for asking me to watch the movie. My previous memory of Batman had been a silly latex costume with George Clooney in it as well as those silly one-liners from Mr. Freeze. Fast forward to 2005, Christopher Nolan directed an arguably the second best super hero movie-the first one is of course The Dark Knight-in his effort re-imagining the Cape Crusader and it was a global success. People knew that a sequel was by the door and Mr. Nolan did them justice by delivering The Dark Knight in 2008. People think that Batman Begins is one of the best super hero movies. However, when it comes to The Dark Knight, the movie is considered as one of the best movies of all time in the same league with The Godfather, Seven Samurai, and Pulp Fiction to name a few.

What about The Dark Knight Rises?

Frankly, in my opinion TDKR is the weakest movie in the series. While it was a great pleasure knowing Batman was a human after all, I found that the movie was a bit pacey in some parts. There were more characters in TDKR than in TDK and it made the story had a lot broader scope. In one point we saw Commisioner Gordon handling his guilt and in the next scene we were introduced by John Dagger, an evil businessman trying to control Wayne Enterprise. The acting was sub-Par for a movie this grand. Marion cottilard was plain as Miranda Tate and Christian Bale was just good-yeah, I expected better from him-. Thank God Tom Hardy was menacing as Bane. Having half his face covered with a mask, we could see how scary Bane was only from the gestures of his eyes.
    The logic was also a problem here. I mean, those revolutionaries must have been rookies as they couldn't even aim right and the officers were somewhat idiotic coming into a full force in underground sewers. I believe that in a real life situation a commissioner is only likely to deploy a small scouting force instead of having all arms in one place.
    That being said, the movie is still above average. The ending is really the ending Bruce Wayne hoping for since the first movie. I don't even want to comment on the soundtracks as they fit the movie just right.
    To conclude, while most people think that TDKR doesn't have the appeal TDK has, no one could argue that we have one of above average super hero movies.
  6. Jul 20, 2012
    Really good special effects, lots more CGI than the previous films, the stunt scenes are examples of perfect choreography.

The storyline is incredibly bleak (in a good way) and at the end of the film we have to say goodbye to some major figures that we have all come to love the previous 2 films. In face, given the amount of characters killed off, we can all be assured that there is no chance of a sequel, as there are no significant characters left to carry on the franchise.

Expect a "To Live and Die In LA" type of superhero film where heroes unexpectedly die. This isn't the traditional Hollywood blockbuster where the good guy lives and the bad guy dies.
  7. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight truly rises in this final instalment of Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy. I followed quite closely the production of the film and could not contain my excitement that overflowed at the Midnight screening here in Australia. Christopher Nolan surpassed all my expectations and left me with a feeling of deep satisfaction and contentment. The thing that stood out for meThe Dark Knight truly rises in this final instalment of Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy. I followed quite closely the production of the film and could not contain my excitement that overflowed at the Midnight screening here in Australia. Christopher Nolan surpassed all my expectations and left me with a feeling of deep satisfaction and contentment. The thing that stood out for me was that this film does not try to equal or better 2008's The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight Rises simply compliments the film. It is different in many areas, but these do not in anyway lessen the experience. Christopher Nolan has taken a series that was left in critical and financial darkness and has brought it back from the ashes. Bane is one of the greatest villains to grace our screens and is a perfect match for an instantly recognisable Dark Knight. I have kept in mind that the film is still fresh and audiences around the world are queuing to experience this cinematic masterpiece. I will leave on this not, Do not expect a retelling of the Dark Knight. The Dark Knight Rises is a film all on its own. This film concludes what has become one of the greatest franchises in modern cinema history. Thank you Mr Nolan. The Batman can once again walk with his head held high. Expand
  8. Jul 20, 2012
    The movie content is fantastic. Must see,btw. It's one of a kind. Christian Bale did it again , hope it tops the charts yet again .Guys please try and give it a 10/10 rating , I just want this movie to break all records and set its position on cloud nine.
  9. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight was my favourite film, and it was because of this I feared that The Dark Knight Rises would be a disappointment. At no point during the entirety of the film did I feel in any way disappointed by the film. TDKR ends the trilogy in truly style, capturing a scale never managed by Batman Begins or The Dark Knight. A must see film.
  10. Jul 20, 2012
    This movie is fantastic. Will go down in history as one of the greatest trilogys ever made. TDKR is a masterpiece. Go to the movies and watch the film.
  11. Jul 20, 2012
    Modern day Citizen Kane. This is a fascistic look at revolt in a city of desperation. Nolan delivers with a grand slam. Epic conclusion to the most epic trilogy of all time.
  12. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises was an outstanding triumph. The direction of the film, the characters, and the action will provide an overall experience that is well worth 11$s for a ticket. To those who compare this to the Avengers; The Avengers is a good movie, but it falls short in many areas that Nolan succeeds. Bane is outstanding, and a certain young detective steals the show. This is the bestThe Dark Knight Rises was an outstanding triumph. The direction of the film, the characters, and the action will provide an overall experience that is well worth 11$s for a ticket. To those who compare this to the Avengers; The Avengers is a good movie, but it falls short in many areas that Nolan succeeds. Bane is outstanding, and a certain young detective steals the show. This is the best Superhero film of the decade, probably ever. Expand
  13. Jul 20, 2012
    Great finish to the trilogy. Nolan is able to give proper homage to the 2 prior films, while giving the audience something fresh. Also, Anne Hathaway was surprisingly great in the role of Selina Kyle.
  14. Jul 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. O fim de uma era.
    Foi no meio de uma onda crescente que começa então a se tornar realidade
  15. Jul 20, 2012
    the dark knight is the last movie and had amazing story and a great start to end but i wish there was another one they could make to make it much better and it would be amazing but the legend ends today they could it better than the third with a new hard evil villain but it all ends today
  16. Jul 20, 2012
    Does the impossible and manages to step out of the shadow of its predecessor and be a truly great film in its own right. A fitting end to my favourite film trilogy of all time.
  17. Jul 20, 2012
    Well I would have to say, the batman suit ruins it for me, not a whole lot of batman in 2:44 minutes, drawn out movie, to me it seemed Christopher Nolan just wanted to be done with batman and that's it, just wasn't enough equal care for the final saga. The bat plane/jet was aweful looking, batman meets battleship meets termitaor salvation plane, the ending was neat, but the batman twist, IWell I would have to say, the batman suit ruins it for me, not a whole lot of batman in 2:44 minutes, drawn out movie, to me it seemed Christopher Nolan just wanted to be done with batman and that's it, just wasn't enough equal care for the final saga. The bat plane/jet was aweful looking, batman meets battleship meets termitaor salvation plane, the ending was neat, but the batman twist, I was and still am confused with, there's just so much more to and for batman! Expand
  18. Jul 20, 2012
    A powerful film which surpasses "The Dark Knight" in almost every way. Newcomers Hardy, Cotillard, Levitt and especially Hathaway do a tremendous job, while Bale gives his best performance as Batman yet. The film is an emotional journey that you will not regret seeing.
  19. Jul 20, 2012
    why SO SERIOUS ........................................ stupid marvel dumb asses giveing bad review

way better that DISNEY'S avanger ****
  20. Jul 20, 2012
    Forget my last review...I gave the movie a 9...and it truly is a piece of art only Nolan can craft...and yhea, WAY better then Marvel's The Avengers!
  21. Jul 20, 2012
    Terrific piece of film making that stands out well beyond the whole "superhero" thing. The action is great and Nolan really brings the characters to life again. Hardy's Bane plays an extremely close second to Ledger's Joker. The real accomplishment here is the humanization of its characters. We see everyone at their most vulnerable, and that is what is so utterly chilling. Being aTerrific piece of film making that stands out well beyond the whole "superhero" thing. The action is great and Nolan really brings the characters to life again. Hardy's Bane plays an extremely close second to Ledger's Joker. The real accomplishment here is the humanization of its characters. We see everyone at their most vulnerable, and that is what is so utterly chilling. Being a Bat-nut I saw the twists coming from a mile away, but those not well versed in the universe should be in for a pleasant surprise. Hardcore fans might gawk at the liberties Nolan takes with the mythos, but Nolan provides a new spin on a classic chapter that only he could pull off without me screaming "blasphemy." It really is a fitting end to an excellent trilogy. Expand
  22. Jul 21, 2012
    Before The Dark Knight released I selfishly found myself worried that a pillar of the franchise, Joker, was gone before we had even discovered him. Before seeing The Dark Knight Rises, I again found myself selfishly wondering what story would have been told if we had not lost Heath Ledger. The Dark Knight Rises is its own movie. TDKR has ties to both previous films, which are meant toBefore The Dark Knight released I selfishly found myself worried that a pillar of the franchise, Joker, was gone before we had even discovered him. Before seeing The Dark Knight Rises, I again found myself selfishly wondering what story would have been told if we had not lost Heath Ledger. The Dark Knight Rises is its own movie. TDKR has ties to both previous films, which are meant to drive much of the plot. The mystique of those ties is given up almost immediately in the interest of defining the current state of Gotham and its characters. Where the Joker was wild, Bane lays his cards out for all to see and because of this, mystique and wonderment has no place. We must simply face the undeniable grasp of Bane Expand
  23. Jul 20, 2012
    The first thing that comes to mind when you leave the theater after watching the visually spellbinding,emotionally satisfying & the majestic storytelling spectacle named "The Dark Knight Rises",is that Christopher Nolan has cemented his place in the history of cinema for turning a cult comic book franchise into the most enthralling silver screen experience anyone can ever hope for.TheThe first thing that comes to mind when you leave the theater after watching the visually spellbinding,emotionally satisfying & the majestic storytelling spectacle named "The Dark Knight Rises",is that Christopher Nolan has cemented his place in the history of cinema for turning a cult comic book franchise into the most enthralling silver screen experience anyone can ever hope for.The dialogues are sure to resonate for ages;the performances,especially from Christian Bale & Tom Hardy,deserve every possible accolade & each scene simply exudes sheer brilliance.The literal & metaphorical rise of the Dark Knight is displayed with the utmost aplomb & the climax is,in my humble opinion,the greatest conclusion to a masterpiece ever witnessed on the silver screen.Watch the film not only for its magnitude,but for an unbelievably enriching cinematic experience & to be a part of Nolan,the magician's once in a lifetime extravaganza. Expand
  24. Jul 20, 2012
    This movie was an absolute perfect conclusion to the batman trilogy. It had action emotions effects and an incredible story. The acting and directing were captivating and harmonious and The fight scenes were thrilling. I could not have asked for a better conclusion.
  25. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark night rises is a amazing academy award best picture this saga is the best in the history, bigger a and better , the lords of the rings is a litle saga stupid, not realistic, the dark night rises is a wonderfull movie in the history love film in my life , thanks you cristopher nolan thanks you master
  26. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is the most anticipated movie of the last few years but can it live up to the hype and top the previous movie, which is probably the greatest super hero movie of all time, or will it go down as another in a long list of threequels which finish a trilogy with a whimper? Thankfully it takes its lead from 'The Dark Knight' and builds on everything that has come beforeThe Dark Knight Rises is the most anticipated movie of the last few years but can it live up to the hype and top the previous movie, which is probably the greatest super hero movie of all time, or will it go down as another in a long list of threequels which finish a trilogy with a whimper? Thankfully it takes its lead from 'The Dark Knight' and builds on everything that has come before and gives us a fitting end to this Batman story. This is movie making on a truly epic scale, using New York to its fullest, with the city being the lifeblood of the film. How it blends aspects of current political and economic strife into its narrative is bold and beautiful to behold which really cements it in reality. The ending will be the one thing that will polarise audiences but I for one loved it, it is poetic and the right ending for this story.

That's not to say that it doesn't have problems, the film takes its time to get going with the first 30 minutes being rather clunky but when Bane sets his plan into motion it all falls into place. Some character beats don't pay off as well as they should and it does feel a little long at almost three hours. The batmobile is sadly not around anymore and his new flying vehicle, The Bat, isn't really a great substitute but it has its moments but all in all these are just little nitpicks in a great film.

Christopher Nolan does what he started out to do and give is an ending to the saga he started and he doesn't disappoint, he is just a great director who will hopefully go onto bigger and better things. The look and feel of the film is different but familiar with cinematographer Wally Pfister, who exclusively works on Nolan
  27. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises was by far the best movie of the year. This was an incredible and well deserve ending to the Dark Knight Trilogy. There are so many details that make this movie well written. The production sets are amazing. What i love most is that Nolan use live action instead of CGI. The 164 minute film flew by fast. The action pack was outstanding. Tom Hardy as Bane gave aThe Dark Knight Rises was by far the best movie of the year. This was an incredible and well deserve ending to the Dark Knight Trilogy. There are so many details that make this movie well written. The production sets are amazing. What i love most is that Nolan use live action instead of CGI. The 164 minute film flew by fast. The action pack was outstanding. Tom Hardy as Bane gave a powerful performance. His expressions were the best. Christian Bale did an amazing job as Bruce/ Batman then before. Anne Hathaway stun with her character and Michael Caine as Alfed touched me. Overall the actors were great. There was so much surprising and shocking scences that kept me on the edge it was an emotional, breath taking film. Nolan has given us the best conclusion for the dark knight trilogy. This movie seriously made me cry. Thank you Nolan you have beaten the threequel curse and have given us the ending we deserve. Expand
  28. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is the single greatest movie I have ever seen. It is amazingly well written and has many surprising twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat. I haven't walked away from a movie feeling that good since 2005 and Revenge of The Sith. Batman may not be in it as much as I'd like but the superb quality of the movie makes that more than acceptable. A must seeThe Dark Knight Rises is the single greatest movie I have ever seen. It is amazingly well written and has many surprising twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat. I haven't walked away from a movie feeling that good since 2005 and Revenge of The Sith. Batman may not be in it as much as I'd like but the superb quality of the movie makes that more than acceptable. A must see for anyone who likes to be entertained or wants to see an epic movie. Expand
  29. Jul 20, 2012
    Wow...what a movie!!!! I gave The Dark Knight Rises a 9 because it isn't perfect, but it is darn close. If you thought The Dark Knight was "dark", then "Rises" is a black hole where no light can survive. Compared to "Rises", TDK was a Bugs Bunny cartoon. This movie is the EPIC conclusion to Chris Nolan's stellar Batman trilogy. The story is huge, the action is huge and the intensity isWow...what a movie!!!! I gave The Dark Knight Rises a 9 because it isn't perfect, but it is darn close. If you thought The Dark Knight was "dark", then "Rises" is a black hole where no light can survive. Compared to "Rises", TDK was a Bugs Bunny cartoon. This movie is the EPIC conclusion to Chris Nolan's stellar Batman trilogy. The story is huge, the action is huge and the intensity is monumental. This movie is not suitable for small children. It is rated PG-13 for a very good reason. The regulars in the cast were magnificent, as usual. To my surprise, I thought Ann Hathaway was very good as Catwoman. While Tom Hardy did an admirable job as Bane, I did have trouble understanding what he was saying at times. I read once that Christopher Nolan said he wanted to elevate the comic book superhero genre to the next level with his Batman movies. All I have to say to Mr. Nolan is "Mission Accomplished!!" God Bless the victims and the families affected by the Aurora shooting tragedy. Expand
  30. Jul 20, 2012
    This is the best batman movie so far. It was so descriptive with so much details. It is not often that I sit for 3 hrs to watch a movie with so much involvement. The best part of the movie was the rise of crime. I found all my childhood imaginations reading batman comics on a big screen. It is a real great experience to watch Christopher Nolan's movie. My respect for his talent is fosteredThis is the best batman movie so far. It was so descriptive with so much details. It is not often that I sit for 3 hrs to watch a movie with so much involvement. The best part of the movie was the rise of crime. I found all my childhood imaginations reading batman comics on a big screen. It is a real great experience to watch Christopher Nolan's movie. My respect for his talent is fostered by another great work. I highly recommend people to watch this movie. Expand
  31. Jul 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "The Dark Knight Rises" was an enjoyable film, which is enough for me to at least give it a yellow rating. What pushed it to the green was the excellent use of music, specific camera angles, and the source material. I will break down each.
    Music can make or break a movie for me. If the music is good, I am happy. Hans Zimmer has always done a great job of bringing movies to life with his scores, and this is no exception. For those who have not seen this film, I am about to give a spoiler here.

The theme music of this film reflects the title "Rises" and has you very excited and makes you feel the beat of the revolution that Bane and his army are creating. In the first half of the film this theme music excites but also frightens you. It makes you cringe in your seat and hold your breath, because you know that this awesome, ruthless, overwhelming, seemingly unbeatable force is coming. The music pounds and ripples along with Bane has he tears his way through Gotham and eventually beats Batman to a pulp and breaks the Bat's back.
    But then something very interesting happens with this music in the second half, or perhaps I should say the third act. That beating, pounding, powerful music suddenly switches and becomes not Bane's theme, but Batman's. As Batman repairs his broken body and finds the strength within himself to do what only one other has done, rising from the 'Pit", the theme music lifts you up and you realize that Bane and his bad guys are in so much trouble and they don't even know it.
    I won't say much about camera angles because I am not a film studies expert or anything. But I can say I enjoyed the way this film pulls you into big and small events, whether it is a grand view of Gotham city that makes you feel like you have been swept up in Bane's revolution or are flying through its skies along with Batman, or gives you the anxiety of Batman as he is trapped in a fight in the sewer with the hulking Bane.
    Lastly, I want to talk about the connection to the comic books. This is where I am sure some ultra-fans might be upset because, "Hey, they changed this and that," and, "That wasn't in the comics." To those fans I would ask what examples they have of any comic book, book, play, video game, cartoon series or action figure franchise that was ever made into a film that followed the original source material exactly. Here is another moment where if you have not seen the film I will be spoiling some surprises.

It is made clear in the credits that this film was based on the characters of the DC Universe. It is not a perfect detail by detail recreation of the comics, but a film based on the characters. I think that it was an absolutely wonderful interpretation. Nolan did a great job of taking the characters, relationships and stories and making his own decisions about what to use and where to make his own connections. And he did tend to connect characters who as far as I know had no connection in the comic books, and combine stories and change characters as he saw fit. And it was amazing and new and fresh and even though we have seen seven Batman films before this one it was somehow still very engaging and did something none of the others did, it gave Batman a happy ending.
    Oh sure, Batman always wins. Batman beats the bad guy. The bad guy ends up dead or in jail or in the mental asylum. And Batman dusts himself off and runs off into the night to continue fighting bad guys. He wins, but it isn't necessarily a happy ending in the traditional sense. He has no satisfaction, no family, no love, no relaxing. It's just onward to the next grueling battle with the underworld.
    But "The Dark Knight Rises" finally did something the other movies could not do. It let Batman retire happily, not old and broken and scarred but young and able to still have a normal life. Not only that, he gets to go off to France with Catwoman and, I like to imagine, open up a pastry shop.
    To conclude, this was an incredibly fun movie to experience and I recommend seeing it. I will say that I saw it on a regular theater screen and I encourage folks to save the money because it was fantastic and did not need the 3D or the IMAX to make it good.
  32. Jul 20, 2012
    Excellent movie. The characters are really interesting and the action is epic. Moving and intelligent. A magnific conclusion for the trilogy. Is better than TDK.
  33. Jul 20, 2012
    one of the best movie ever,without comparing with the prequel it is one of the batman movie ever,good story,better acting and best direction with screenplay,just go and watch it,for me 10/10........
  34. Jul 20, 2012
    This is the Best Movie Ever Made, Best Trilogy in history. It is Epic, Jaws Dropping, Spectacular, Brilliant Masterpiece from Mr. Christopher Nolan!!! I Want See It Again And Again!
  35. Jul 20, 2012
    Spectacular and monumental film. An event. The effects are amazing and impressive narrative. I have no words to describe the greatness of Nolan. The actors, magnificent. Applause.
  36. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is an opus of a much different flavor than the previous installments in The Dark Knight Trilogy. Uniting the atmospheric tone of Begins and the noir, crime saga execution of TDK, Rises sets forth to entertain the audience while developing Bruce Wayne's story into an arc of considerable emotional progression, and ultimately delivers one of the best endings to a trilogyThe Dark Knight Rises is an opus of a much different flavor than the previous installments in The Dark Knight Trilogy. Uniting the atmospheric tone of Begins and the noir, crime saga execution of TDK, Rises sets forth to entertain the audience while developing Bruce Wayne's story into an arc of considerable emotional progression, and ultimately delivers one of the best endings to a trilogy in cinema history. The focus in this outing is on Bruce Wayne. The Dark Knight was a Batman movie in every sense, where as The Dark Knight Rises can be accurately described as a Bruce Wayne story. The man behind the mask coming out of retirement to face villains the likes of which he has never experienced. Bruce's personal life and trials as a newly motivated Batman coalesce into obstacles that bring out the most human sides of him. Anger, stubbornness, hope and raw determination seep out of the character, and belie the ambiguity behind the symbol of the Batman. When Bruce is wearing the mask, it feels like Bruce Wayne wearing a mask. Doing a job. A civic duty that serves as the only thing he knows will give him purpose. Batman becomes a human being, and yet the symbol grows stronger because of it. I'll stop here to avoid spoiling anything.

As far as the surrounding cast goes: Bane is the most dangerous villain in the trilogy. He's an absolute menace. He's shameless, efficient, brave and extremely good at wrecking things. His presence is electrifying. Alfred is dishing out his usual wisdom, but we see a side of him we haven't seen yet and it's beautiful. John Blake is too easy to root for. A pure hearted, inspired cop who earns his stripes in more ways than one. Gordon is a relentless warrior who shows a good old fashioned hands dirty approach to everything. A man out of place in this new Gotham, who's old style becomes necessary to bring it back from the brink, and Catwoman is a dazzling, sexy, antihero whose character development is as smooth as Bruce Wayne's. She's an absolute tour de force in this film, and one of the best characters in Nolan's Batman Universe.

This review means only to set up the expectations of tone for The Dark Knight Rises, and to excite viewers who are looking forward to seeing it. It's a masterpiece. Arguably the best Batman film ever made, and a beautiful ending to a trilogy that has set a new standard in cinema.
  37. Jul 20, 2012
    Honestly, this is the most epic movie EVER. I enjoyed every minute of it. Tom Hardy had an OUTSTANDING performance as Bane, and Bale delivers his best performance yet as Bruce Wayne. The moment when Bane's plan takes effect (vague to avoid spoilers) is just mind-boggling. All the characters are very deep and I genuinely felt connected to them. The effects and soundtrack are also bothHonestly, this is the most epic movie EVER. I enjoyed every minute of it. Tom Hardy had an OUTSTANDING performance as Bane, and Bale delivers his best performance yet as Bruce Wayne. The moment when Bane's plan takes effect (vague to avoid spoilers) is just mind-boggling. All the characters are very deep and I genuinely felt connected to them. The effects and soundtrack are also both amazing. The movie sets itself up for a sequel at the end very nicley, and the end made me want to get up out of my seat and cheer. Overall, great movie, and Nolan's masterpiece in my opinion. 10/10 Expand
  38. Jul 20, 2012
    A great movie mainly because Bane is the most charismatic and convincingly threatening bad guy i can remember. There's less moral complexity than "The Dark Knight' and even 'Batman begins' but it's better paced than the former and, for me at least, more emotionally involving than the either film. You empathise here more with Batman because Bane is a constant, enormous, threat, whereas theA great movie mainly because Bane is the most charismatic and convincingly threatening bad guy i can remember. There's less moral complexity than "The Dark Knight' and even 'Batman begins' but it's better paced than the former and, for me at least, more emotionally involving than the either film. You empathise here more with Batman because Bane is a constant, enormous, threat, whereas the Joker was so random and chaotic and uninterested in Batman himself. Tension here builds up gradually towards one on one confrontation . Where confronting the Joker was like a snake in the grass, with Bane it's more like facing a lion on his turf. i enjoyed it more than either of the first two films, though i doubt that it will stand up as well to re-watch as the story is more straight-forward and, as i said, less morally complex Expand
  39. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark knight Rises was a great movie and the direction was awesome in some of the scenes. The most interesting character in the movie was Bane. His voice was too good to say. This movie cannot be compared to any other movies which are released in this season. Though the movie was a little of confusion at the beginning, Christopher Nolan did a great work and the movie comes to an epicThe Dark knight Rises was a great movie and the direction was awesome in some of the scenes. The most interesting character in the movie was Bane. His voice was too good to say. This movie cannot be compared to any other movies which are released in this season. Though the movie was a little of confusion at the beginning, Christopher Nolan did a great work and the movie comes to an epic conclusion in the end. I cannot say and Spoil the movie. But Its a movie definitely to be watched in the Big Screens. Thank you Nolan for another Epic movie Expand
  40. Jul 20, 2012
    Solid, fitting ending to an excellent trilogy. Strong themes ring as true as ever. Great performances all around. Bane can't quite match up to the Joker, but acknowledging that going in, is your best bet to better enjoy the movie. Whereas Joker allowed for great dialogue, Bane at least offers some solid fight sequences.
  41. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is a movie that perfectly balances "Tragedy to Triumph" . I am not the biggest Batman fan as i watched The Dark Knight for the first time last year, and Batman Begins the first time the morning before watching TDKR. Ultimately to me The Dark Knight was Overrated, it was good but Begins was better to me. Now TDKR is the best one to me. Christian Bale as Batman wasThe Dark Knight Rises is a movie that perfectly balances "Tragedy to Triumph" . I am not the biggest Batman fan as i watched The Dark Knight for the first time last year, and Batman Begins the first time the morning before watching TDKR. Ultimately to me The Dark Knight was Overrated, it was good but Begins was better to me. Now TDKR is the best one to me. Christian Bale as Batman was Spot On Perfect in this movie. Anne Hathaway stole the show as Catwoman. Tom Hardy did a good job with Bane but was lacking in some areas (at times you couldn't understand him). Yes this movie has flaws as i found it to be quite humorless, but exchange for that was "Epicness" as i was at the edge of my seat numeorous times. In comparison to The Avengers...i like Avengers better for the fact that there is much more humor and action going on throughout the movie. But nonetheless the movie ends the Trilogy on a soaring high note, giving the Viewers clarity on the fate/future of Gotham City and Bruce Wayne himself. If your a super hero fan....you just simply NEED to see this movie. Collapse
  42. Jul 20, 2012
    A masterful work which will have you experience every emotion under the sun. While it is not "The Dark Knight" few films can hope to be. This film holds up though and should be considered one of the top films of this century.
  43. Jul 20, 2012
    Fantastic, truly a spectacular movie. The acting is great, the storyline epic, and it ends on a truly satisfying note. God bless Christopher Nolan for one of my favorite trilogies of all time.
  44. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is centered around pain, and you can definitely feel it in this! Chris Nolan has done his job to perfection for his trilogy! TDKR ties more into Batman Begins than The Dark Knight and gets all the loose ends sewn up. It takes the elements of Begins and the lie in Dark Knight to make one helluva a trilogy finale. As a Batman and Chris Nolan fan, I think TDKR is theThe Dark Knight Rises is centered around pain, and you can definitely feel it in this! Chris Nolan has done his job to perfection for his trilogy! TDKR ties more into Batman Begins than The Dark Knight and gets all the loose ends sewn up. It takes the elements of Begins and the lie in Dark Knight to make one helluva a trilogy finale. As a Batman and Chris Nolan fan, I think TDKR is the best of the three and possibly Nolan's best, but I can understand if anyone chooses any three as the best. This film has the action, destruction to feed those fans while also having the most emotion for a Nolan film. Nolan really does make you get sucked into the characters he has built over 3 movies. Tom Hardy's performance as Bane really does the character justice with eyes of different emotion and the physicality he brings on screen. Anne Hathaway has to be the breakthrough performance as Selina Kyle, because she brings sexiness, strength, and class to her character. Christian Bale becomes Batman for the last time and delivers his best performance as the character in the trilogy. Wally Pfister's cinematography is top notch and Oscar worthy for this movie of such grand scale. Chris Nolan should at least get his nomination for director for the Oscars this year but who knows. I won't give anything away, but the ending was a great way to end Bruce's story. As a trilogy I think it is right up their with some of the best, and it really is one whole story. The trilogy does circle around if Bruce can become the ideal to become the legend that Ra's al Ghul says in the first film. This truly is the greatest superhero/comic book trilogy/film. Expand
  45. Jul 20, 2012
    I have Watched this Movie Twice on the day of its Release that too Back to Back Shows...... After Watching this Amazing Film,I can Say Only Five Words...... Fantastic,Marvelous,Great,Epic,Awesome.....
    Christian Bale has given Best Performance As Bruce Wayne/Batman as Usual. Bane was Horrible in the film.Gary Oldman,Morgan Freeman were Nice While Anne Hathaway did a great Job... All The Credit goes to the Director Legend Christopher Nolan....Batman Entry was too good.Effects and Music were Great... Not One Everything is Perfect....It has Sensational Climax with an Epic Ending.... I Want to See it again.... Dont Miss This Movie Guys....... The Dark Knight Rises Rocks........
  46. Jul 21, 2012
    Excellent film . Superb acting specially by Hathaway and mind blowing music by Hans. there are many twists to keep you engrossed in the movie. though it is quite a bit long you will enjoy every bit of it
  47. Jul 23, 2012
    The sombre tone of the beginning of The Dark Knight Rises defines the rest of the film as an absolutely drop-dead spectacular capper to the the best superhero trilogy ever made. The film has enough spectacle, emotional depths and peaks and pure ambitious scale to overcome the fact that this film is no 'The Dark Knight' but still provides a satisfying, Nolan-esque climaxed ending to theThe sombre tone of the beginning of The Dark Knight Rises defines the rest of the film as an absolutely drop-dead spectacular capper to the the best superhero trilogy ever made. The film has enough spectacle, emotional depths and peaks and pure ambitious scale to overcome the fact that this film is no 'The Dark Knight' but still provides a satisfying, Nolan-esque climaxed ending to the epic Batman trilogy that exemplifies modern masterful filmmaking. Expand
  48. Jul 21, 2012
    This movie is perfect to say the least. The scale of this film trumps the Dark Knight, but does that mean its good? YES!!! The Joker is by far one of my favourite movie villains but Bane makes me rethink that. This movie has a really nice plot, great acting, and nice camera work. I really recommend seeing this film in IMAX as that is the definitive experience for those who wan to see thisThis movie is perfect to say the least. The scale of this film trumps the Dark Knight, but does that mean its good? YES!!! The Joker is by far one of my favourite movie villains but Bane makes me rethink that. This movie has a really nice plot, great acting, and nice camera work. I really recommend seeing this film in IMAX as that is the definitive experience for those who wan to see this masterpiece. Expand
  49. Jul 21, 2012
    By far the best movie of all time, an absolute blockbuster from start to finish. What a wrap up to this thrilling trilogy. Well done Christopher Nolan!!!!!!
  50. Jul 21, 2012
    I'ev been waiting for 4 yrs for this epic conclusion. And this is worth the wait. Thank Christopher Nolan for his masterpiece. Thank all the casts and crew that made such a great film. Best movie ever !
  51. Jul 21, 2012
    If you go into this film thinking it will be the greatest film of all time, it will be the greatest film of all time. However if you go into it thinking nothing can beat Dark Knight, then whats the point of watching it? Dark Knight Rises is a Perfect film. Outstanding and immensely gripping, plot turns are mind blowing and acting throughout the trilogy, especially in the last film haveIf you go into this film thinking it will be the greatest film of all time, it will be the greatest film of all time. However if you go into it thinking nothing can beat Dark Knight, then whats the point of watching it? Dark Knight Rises is a Perfect film. Outstanding and immensely gripping, plot turns are mind blowing and acting throughout the trilogy, especially in the last film have been the best in any film made. Thank you Christopher Nolan, you've evoked tears, joy and awe. What a trilogy! Next we wait for Superman Expand
  52. Jul 21, 2012
    I don't usually review films but felt compelled to with this. I won't say much as it's all pretty much been said but it was the perfect to ending to a perfect trilogy & for me has sealed Nolan's place as one of Hollywood's greats.
  53. Jul 21, 2012
    This film is amazing. i had goosebumps throughout it was great. Everyone should see this film it has my love of action and romance all roped around a core of batman. loved every second of it and il be rushing out to buy the DVD when it is released. I might even see it again.
  54. Jul 21, 2012
    A great film which was the culmination of a fantastic trilogy. The first half an hour or so was pretty slow but the pace quickened up towards the end.
  55. Jul 21, 2012
    TDKR was far too long. It could have been 30 mins shorter. It should have been. The fight scenes flat out sucked. Too close and not enough sound power. Each fight bore me. Bane's voice sounded like a child playing with a voice altering toy on Halloween. Batman had hardly any screen time. His weapons were weak.

Catwoman worked and so did The new character played by Joseph Gordan L.

Catwoman worked and so did The new character played by Joseph Gordan L.

the last 15 mins were what the whole movie should have been like.

Oh and what's the point in naming it Gotham when it looks just like NYC?

I should give it a lower score based on poor story alone, but some parts worked well.
  56. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is one of "THE BEST MOVIE'" I have seen in a very long time..I mean the movie has to be seen to be believed...It's a pure masterpiece in terms of story-telling,action and the depth with which each character is developed....This movie has set a benchmark for future batman and superhero movies to look upto...One of the best conclusions to one of the most criticallyThe Dark Knight Rises is one of "THE BEST MOVIE'" I have seen in a very long time..I mean the movie has to be seen to be believed...It's a pure masterpiece in terms of story-telling,action and the depth with which each character is developed....This movie has set a benchmark for future batman and superhero movies to look upto...One of the best conclusions to one of the most critically acclaimed and successful trilogy of all times....See you at the Oscars!!!! Expand
  57. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises ends in style. A fantastic trilogy to Nolan's highly anticipated movie of the year! At first when I got my ticket, I didn't have a slightest clue of how this would top 2008's The Dark Knight. But now I got my answer, Christopher Nolan is a magician. He is the true Dark Knight Legend, the screenplay/directing/plot was just genius. Bale was at his best while portrayingThe Dark Knight Rises ends in style. A fantastic trilogy to Nolan's highly anticipated movie of the year! At first when I got my ticket, I didn't have a slightest clue of how this would top 2008's The Dark Knight. But now I got my answer, Christopher Nolan is a magician. He is the true Dark Knight Legend, the screenplay/directing/plot was just genius. Bale was at his best while portraying his role, Tom Hardy did a stunning performance as Bane. He tested Batman to his limit. And as for Anne Hathaway, brilliant performance. To be honest, I actually thought she'd screw up the movie. But her performance as cat woman was just spectacular. My rating 10/10 Expand
  58. Jul 21, 2012
    another master piece from the mind of nolan 2h 44 minutes of genius excitement at every corner but it has things that the dark doesn't have twists that's the reason why I gave it a grat score not as good on a cinematic level as dark knight but the shocks you get from the film are amazing best film of the year top avengers and prometheus
  59. Jul 21, 2012
    I watched this film in IMAX and travelled 60miles to go see it, I would do it again any day of the week. I knew this movie was going to be awesome but it just blew my expectations out the water. It is very much a comic book movie meaning people who read the comics will get more out of it. I loved so many parts of it and there where so many twists and turns. No one can and no one will everI watched this film in IMAX and travelled 60miles to go see it, I would do it again any day of the week. I knew this movie was going to be awesome but it just blew my expectations out the water. It is very much a comic book movie meaning people who read the comics will get more out of it. I loved so many parts of it and there where so many twists and turns. No one can and no one will ever top this Batman movie! It was also the first ever movie I have been in where we had a standing round of applause afterwards. EPIC! Expand
  60. Jul 21, 2012
    i havent given review to any movie but this is an excellent movie Spectacular end to a trilogy.Chris Nolan proved that he is one of the top direct'r.....
  61. Jul 21, 2012
    Nolan has crafted a spectacular finale to one of the best trilogies ever. Sure it doesn
  62. Jul 21, 2012
    A truly grand movie. Packed with explosion and thrill. Gripping till the very end, especially the last one hour. Also quite a thriller with twists and turns till the very end.
  63. Jul 21, 2012
    Best batman movie by far. And for all of the victims I'm so sorry for the families. Ghhhgffffjggggjhfffhhggfgjgggggghhhhghhhhhhhhhhggg gucfzgdrggfddtuhf
  64. Jul 21, 2012
    I'm having trouble thinking of something better to write about this movie than "I love it," but it's getting really hard. It's ingenious, tight, character-driven and raw. The reason I was so antsy to see it was because of Bane: one of my favorite villains played by one of my favorite actors. And he is a really really scary dude. Comparisons to Darth Vader are completely apt. Tom Hardy doesI'm having trouble thinking of something better to write about this movie than "I love it," but it's getting really hard. It's ingenious, tight, character-driven and raw. The reason I was so antsy to see it was because of Bane: one of my favorite villains played by one of my favorite actors. And he is a really really scary dude. Comparisons to Darth Vader are completely apt. Tom Hardy does so much with voice and body language that the character is endlessly expressive, despite his face being obscured. I love the way he's always resting his fists in his chest. It's also easy to assume that such a big bloke has porridge for brains, so the way he combines that vicious, brutal and graceful physicality with rather genteel hyper-articulation is really jarring. Bane's voice has a playful lilt to it, as though he's adding a little "isn't it obvious?" and "don't you agree?" to everything he says. Expand
  65. Jul 21, 2012
    Enorme película!! Sin duda es un gran cierre a la mejor trilogía jamás echa sobre superhéroes. Personalmente me pareció mejor "the dark knight" por eso mi nota real seria de 9 mejor dicho de 9'5...pero viendo las criticas injustificadas le daré un 10.
  66. Jul 21, 2012
    most awesome movie ever........................................................................10/10.
    please do watch it.........................................
  67. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises was an EPIC and i say EPIC once more!! In my opinion what the critics say "EPIC LETDOWN" is utter crap! It was just perfect and much better than i expected! Action sequences were wicked! It wasn't boring for me or my friends who watched. Filled with suspense and a really amazing climax, i would say, there can't be a better finale to the trilogy. Worth every penny! MUST WATCH!
  68. Jul 21, 2012
    awesome film..a lil boring at the start...but picks up pace...and by the end its a classic...the awesome end..the lil twist with who was behind the master plan....christopher nolan i am a huge fan...take a bow sir...yet another classic from u...u have to be the best director/writer around as far as action/mystery genre goes...awesome stuff...if avengers was the best movie this year forawesome film..a lil boring at the start...but picks up pace...and by the end its a classic...the awesome end..the lil twist with who was behind the master plan....christopher nolan i am a huge fan...take a bow sir...yet another classic from u...u have to be the best director/writer around as far as action/mystery genre goes...awesome stuff...if avengers was the best movie this year for you...u have to see this one to make up your mind...awesome stuff!! loved it... Expand
  69. Jul 21, 2012
    I think, in my opinion it was the best movie I've ever seen. Incredible finish to an incredible trilogy, it added a layer of sophistication to comic book movies that has never been done before and will hopefully lead to a new generation of comic book movies. Congratulations Christopher & Co. Looking forward to seeing where Syncopy goes from here.
  70. Jul 21, 2012
    As it stands, it's the weakest Christopher Nolan film that he's ever made. It certainly is the weakest film out of the whole trilogy. After the incredible films that I have witness Nolan make before DNR (Inception, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Prestige, Memento); I can tell he was not engaged in Dark Knight Rises as the previous two movies and it shows. having watched the trilogy,As it stands, it's the weakest Christopher Nolan film that he's ever made. It certainly is the weakest film out of the whole trilogy. After the incredible films that I have witness Nolan make before DNR (Inception, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Prestige, Memento); I can tell he was not engaged in Dark Knight Rises as the previous two movies and it shows. having watched the trilogy, the last one was not as seamless or as fluid as his previous efforts. It felt rushed, a few parts took some liberties with story telling, and the third act was didn't do this film justice. Nolan's films on it's own is easily better than 85% of the movies out today. As movie trilogies go, it's easily in the top 5. I'll see Dark Knight Rises again to see if my thoughts change. Expand
  71. Jul 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Warning, Review May Contain Spoilers

It's tough to follow up with one of the best (or the best) super hero movie of all time, the Dark Knight. I came into this movie with fair expectations about the movie. This film falls just a tad short of being a great flick.

Bane - - His masked face leaves him almost expressionless
    - enhanced voice make him sounds like Barney's evil twin. Can't understand him half of the time
    - His motives to terrorize was unclear, he portrayed to be a pretty good badass, but then he became irrelevant thanks to the 'twist" toward the end of the movie
    - His death was abrupt and cheap. Nobody cared whether he died or lived at this point.

Catwoman:
    - Anne Hathaway did a great job as Catwoman. seductive, deceptive, and sassy. However, the depiction of Catwoman's character left me disappointed. - In the beginning of the film, she was Catwoman. Towards the end, she acted more like Batgirl. The ending, she's just another chick.
    - I preferred the Catwoman in Tim Burton's Batman Returns. Seductive, sexy, deceptive, teaser, and above all, CRAZY. A type that would drive Batman nuts. Batman:
    - This is Christian's Bale best performance in the trilogy. I empathized with his pain, suffering, passion, and sacrifice. You also see a very vulnerable Batman, not as dominating as the previous two film. This Batman fought with heart. Tim Drake, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt - did an exceptional job. He was the most personable and developed character in this film. You can see great potential in him as eventually being Batman's sidekick. As an actor, Joseph got a good future
    Story:
    - Slow at first, but became disorganized and jumpy. It feels like a Batman version of Inception. The psychology and philosophy message of this film is not as stimulating as TDK. There are many unnecessary scenes that doesn't help with story line. The ending was great, it toyed with your emotions from excitement, sadness, to happiness. It tried to be deep, but sometimes crosses the line of being cheesy. I feel there was too much going on and it's difficult to keep track of everything. Overall,
    A solid movie. Worth the time and money to check it out. However, don't come in with high expectations being as great or better than TDK. You will be hugely disappointed. Also, drink some coffee or sodas to keep you alert and awake during the slow parts of the movie.
  72. Jul 21, 2012
    Not only was it even better than The Dark Knight, it was probably the best movie I have seen in my entire life. The story was gripping and tense, the characters were incredibly well acted (even the much doubted Anne Hathaway did an exceptional depiction of Selina Kyle) and the ending was just the most satisfying feeling after the movie had you on the edge of your seat throughout. The movieNot only was it even better than The Dark Knight, it was probably the best movie I have seen in my entire life. The story was gripping and tense, the characters were incredibly well acted (even the much doubted Anne Hathaway did an exceptional depiction of Selina Kyle) and the ending was just the most satisfying feeling after the movie had you on the edge of your seat throughout. The movie was 160 minutes, yet felt like it flew past with incredible speed.

I'm even going to go as far as to say Bane was an even better villain than Heath Ledger's Joker. He wasn't as well acted, but as a match up to Batman, he provided more of a challenge.

I've read a lot of reviews, and any of the negative ones are rubbish. Clearly done by people who have never paid attention to anything Batman related, apart from the movies and complained about the amount of new characters being introduced. Anyone who actually read Batman comics, watched animated movies and TV series or played the Arkham Asylum/City games will have known the new characters introduced, and the impact meant more to them within the story.
  73. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is without a doubt one of the most interesting movies I've ever seen. It was nothing like I expected and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I love how Nolan's Batman movies have evolved and feel so different than the ones before it because you do not get tired of them. The movie is different from The Dark Knight and Batman Begins because it is moreThe Dark Knight Rises is without a doubt one of the most interesting movies I've ever seen. It was nothing like I expected and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I love how Nolan's Batman movies have evolved and feel so different than the ones before it because you do not get tired of them. The movie is different from The Dark Knight and Batman Begins because it is more grandoise and complex. There are several twists in The Dark Knight Rises that add a level of complexity that the previous two films did not have. That being said, The Dark Knight Rises is not better than The Dark Knight because of its muddled plot and rushed ending sequences.
    The muddled plot comes from the fact that Nolan relies to heavily on the ending sequences to explain earlier events. For some that is good enough, but I expect more from Nolan. Also certain events in the film seem over the top and in some cases there is no explanation for how they came to be. Especially, the French Revolution like court scenes. There are many other examples, but I do not want to spoil the movie. Despite these flaws, The Dark Knight Rises manages to keep you engaged because of the wonderful characters and the outstanding perfomances from the actors. The newcomers, Tom Hardy as Bane, Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle, Joseph Gordon Levit as John Blake, and Marion Cotillard as Miranda Tate are all wonderful additions that add compexity to the film and some wicked twists at the end. So overall I think the film is good and worth seeing, but not a masterpiece like The Dark Knight was.
  74. Jul 21, 2012
    Its worth seeing on the big screen. Christian Bale is without doubt the best Batman and Anne Hathaway plays Cat woman well. The story is good and although it's a long film, you are entertained all the way and there was no "how much longer" butt shuffling. The evil Bain's distorted voice is hard to make out at times but you get the drift. There's a little too much machine gun mowing andIts worth seeing on the big screen. Christian Bale is without doubt the best Batman and Anne Hathaway plays Cat woman well. The story is good and although it's a long film, you are entertained all the way and there was no "how much longer" butt shuffling. The evil Bain's distorted voice is hard to make out at times but you get the drift. There's a little too much machine gun mowing and needless deaths for my liking, but that aside, it's a good film with a well rounded ending. Expand
  75. Jul 21, 2012
    This is how you end a trilogy. Nolan, executes with almost sheer perfection. Are there areas where I felt it could have been done better? Yes. Can I still look past those and enjoy the epic saga as a whole? Definitely. This is not a typical superhero movie, while most people may find the storyline little hard to follow and convoluted, but those who know, loved the comics and theirThis is how you end a trilogy. Nolan, executes with almost sheer perfection. Are there areas where I felt it could have been done better? Yes. Can I still look past those and enjoy the epic saga as a whole? Definitely. This is not a typical superhero movie, while most people may find the storyline little hard to follow and convoluted, but those who know, loved the comics and their characters, can relate where Nolan tried to take this. It is a beautiful movie, and you feel attached to most of the characters and their personalities. Unlike in other superhero movies where everyone tries to be funny with stereotypical one-liners, all gung-ho and win it all at the end of the day, Dark Knight Rises and it predecessors were unique in the sense that it's not only about triumph over evil. It's more than that. It's more about loss, sacrifices, perseverance, consequences and failures that is associated with it.

Nolan, I would like to thank you for the gift that you have given us Batman fans. The gift that we can savor for many many years to come. I wish you'd continue to make more Bat movie because as of now you left most of us hungry for more.
  76. Jul 21, 2012
    I wanna start by saying even though about 85% of the reviews are more then positive, i can't understand what the other 15% are talking about, from a writing stand point this is the best trilogy... ever, period, bar none, as for this movie, if you like a great story with twists and turns, some you can see coming and others you didn't expect, solid acting and above all else if your a batmanI wanna start by saying even though about 85% of the reviews are more then positive, i can't understand what the other 15% are talking about, from a writing stand point this is the best trilogy... ever, period, bar none, as for this movie, if you like a great story with twists and turns, some you can see coming and others you didn't expect, solid acting and above all else if your a batman fan you can't not love this movie, without giving spoilers away... seeing how batman begins starts and what bruce waynes intention was, the dark knight rises ends in a perfect way, he lives up to his goal and if you ask me thats how to end a trilogy, for those who complain its to slow paced and it feels like a cop movie that might be true if your under the age of 13... for those people... watch the crap burton movies with no plot, no investment in the characters or any kind of structure with none stop action, go watch that crap, for those with taste, class and know a good story it gets no better then this... i give the dark knight rises a 15 out of 10... yea its that good. Expand
  77. Jul 21, 2012
    epic. certainly these three batman movies form a whole, this being my favorite, definitely a perfect ending. as said another film critic batman trilogy does this child look around the marvel universe
  78. Jul 21, 2012
    This is truly the best movie of all time. The reason I say this is because it delivers the perfect ending and brilliant storyline to the most anticipated Batman movie of all time, and the most anticipated ending to a trilogy of all time. The opening scene/s are jaw dropping and is/are the perfect way to start the Dark Knight Rises. A top of the line cast, with terrific performances fromThis is truly the best movie of all time. The reason I say this is because it delivers the perfect ending and brilliant storyline to the most anticipated Batman movie of all time, and the most anticipated ending to a trilogy of all time. The opening scene/s are jaw dropping and is/are the perfect way to start the Dark Knight Rises. A top of the line cast, with terrific performances from each and every one of them. Christopher Nolan does a fantastic job of delivering a perfect plot that is deep yet perfectly poised and told. The visual effects as well as the overall climax and sheer power of each scene are second to none. Tom Hardy, Bane really is the ultimate villain, second only to Heath Ledger, The Joker. An incredible experience that keeps all of the true faithful Batman fans beyond happy, along with all other viewers happy and thrilled due to the great acting, plot, and execution. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises truly is an untouchable trilogy that tops the list among all the others. Christian Bale is Batman, and this film is without a doubt a masterpiece beyond the limits of what we all thought was achievable. The Dark Knight Rises is the ultimate experience. Expand
  79. Jul 21, 2012
    This is a good movie. But it is not a great movie, and comes nowhere close to the brilliance of the previous film in the series, The Dark Knight. There are some very good moments, and I particularly enjoyed the performances of Michael Caine and Tom Hardy. The latter's fruity English voice worked surprisingly well and was quite disturbingly villainous, although it would have been a lotThis is a good movie. But it is not a great movie, and comes nowhere close to the brilliance of the previous film in the series, The Dark Knight. There are some very good moments, and I particularly enjoyed the performances of Michael Caine and Tom Hardy. The latter's fruity English voice worked surprisingly well and was quite disturbingly villainous, although it would have been a lot better if I could clearly make out what he was saying! Nolan has achieved a dark, menacing tone and successfully sustained it throughout 153 minutes - no small feat.

However, underlying the serious tone is a rather facile, disorganized and generally unserious plot. In particular I found the "autopilot" Chekov's gun jarring, but it had good company in the form of irrelevant and aborted arcs. The plot twists to the point where the main action seems almost pointless by the end, and I wound up scratching my head as to why they'd bothered filming the first hour of the movie at all.

Hardy's version of Bane is actually a really good villain - even by comparison to Ledger's Joker - but it's as if Nolan is wary of putting him fully in the spotlight. So he hedges his bets, throwing in a confused and confusing variety of sub-conflicts and cameos. Unfortunately this lack of focus all but destroys the drama.

Finally, the sloppy editing and excessive length both contributed to an overall sense that this is a film that could have done with fewer ingredients and a sharper sense of purpose.
  80. Jul 21, 2012
    Running at about 2 hours and 45 minutes, this movie is an full hands on anxiety attack. Christopher Nolan delivers his capstone to the wonderfully created Batman trilogy with "The Dark Knight Rises", and boy did he deliver. From its riveting action sequences to the carefully plotted out character arcs, "Rises" keeps audiences on the edge of their seats throughout the entire duration of theRunning at about 2 hours and 45 minutes, this movie is an full hands on anxiety attack. Christopher Nolan delivers his capstone to the wonderfully created Batman trilogy with "The Dark Knight Rises", and boy did he deliver. From its riveting action sequences to the carefully plotted out character arcs, "Rises" keeps audiences on the edge of their seats throughout the entire duration of the film.
    The story line is virtually flawless. The phenomenal pairing of Christopher Nolan and his brother Jonathan on the script continues to deliver from film to film, and it sure shows up here. The reason why Nolan's Batman is so impeccable is the fact that everything that happens in the movie could possibly happen in real life. The threats are real, the villains are real, the effects are real, and the emotions are real. "Rises" grips you tighter than any of the other previous Batman's, because Nolan has delivered two previous amazing movies that give you a sense of urgency. You want fulfillment to Bruce Wayne's legacy, and this does just that. As the movie goes on, Nolan keeps dropping weights on the structure of the movie every second he gets. It builds, and builds, and builds, until its absolute and utter breaking point. Some people might argue that the story has too much build, but I completely disagree. This is the perfect amount of suspense, because as the end draws near, the audience is anticipating that tiny leaf that causes the structure to collapse. In the movie, Bane (Tom Hardy) holds Gotham in his bone-crushing hands for five whole months, he even gets the entire nation's attention by holding them at bay from his terror attack. And whilst in the theater, it feels as though you are with these characters for five months (Not because of the run time, but because of the suspense. I know what you were thinking). In the end, Nolan delivers a masterpiece of storyline and scriptwriting. There was not one moment where I felt that the script lacked, or the plot contained holes. However, the "meat and potatoes" of this Film could not exist without the acting.
    Christian Bale once again amazes audiences with his extreme dedication (did you see the amount of weight on his face that oscillated as the movie progressed) and incredible acting. He once again proves how he is the best Batman to date. Morgan Freeman (Lucius Fox) and Michael Caine (Alfred) continue to show how the are two of the worlds most respected actors. Michael Caine brings the entire audience to tears at least twice, if not three times. His acting is just dead on. He captures Alfred so well, that it defeats the performance of the very hard-to-beat, and loveable Michael Gough from the original series. Also returning to the trilogy is the wonderful Gary Oldman (Jim Gordon), who you just can't help but love. Oldman's acting is stunning and he brings something new to Gordon every movie. Now as far as the newcomers to Nolan's Batman, they steal the show. Anne Hathaway (Selina Kyle) knocks it out of the park. Her portrayal of Catwoman is superb, and is by far the best one yet. Her sleek attitude is perfectly executed, as well as her faked emotions and persona when she's "on the job". Hathaway brings the perfect blend of evil, stubbornness, likability, and good to Selina Kyle. Her contrast and change throughout the film is wonderful to watch, and you just can't help but fall in love with her. But to Catwoman's temporary evil is the "necessary evil" of Tom Hardy's Bane. Hardy is the perfect villain. His mask is terrifying, but it covers up most of his face. But that right there is the beauty of Hardy's wonderful performance. The fact that he only has two ways of acting below the face and pulls it off is unbelievable. Tom's vocal performance is stunning. Especially in his and Batman's first fight underground. He grips the audience with sheer fear when he talks. But perhaps the thing that tops off Bane is his eyes. Bane holds the entire emotion of his performance in his eyes. His monologues could just be spoken with them alone. And lastly, Marion Cotillard (Miranda Tate) fulfills the hole that was left to us by Rachel, and she does a fantastic job. And it was so nice to see Cillian Murphy (Jonathan Crane) and Liam Neeson (Ra's Al Ghul) again. Now for the parts I wasn
  81. Jul 22, 2012
    Fantastic ending to Nolan's trilogy. Had to see it a second time to really appreciate the plot, nuances, dialogues and ending. Simply brilliant. Worthy to be seen a few more times in theater until the blu ray comes out!
  82. Jul 22, 2012
    Let me begin with huge applause for Nolan rejecting the idea of making this movie 3D. Going back three years I have seen on-line ramblers claiming that 3D is the future of movies. I'm only 30, but I know that 3D isn't the future, its the past. Personally, I can't wait for this revived fad to again be relegated to the past. That said, The Dark Knight Rises is exactly what I thought itLet me begin with huge applause for Nolan rejecting the idea of making this movie 3D. Going back three years I have seen on-line ramblers claiming that 3D is the future of movies. I'm only 30, but I know that 3D isn't the future, its the past. Personally, I can't wait for this revived fad to again be relegated to the past. That said, The Dark Knight Rises is exactly what I thought it would be, a dark conclusion to a dark story. I grew up reading DC comics and always considered Batman to be a more mature comic than many other popular titles. After having lived through Batman Forever and Batman and Robin, I was relieved that Nolan brought back the Batman I loved as a kid. The Bat is not a kids superhero, he is what most adults wish they could be. The kids can have their superpowers, otherworldly planets and genetic misfortunes. Give me an endless bankroll and the deepest desire for vengeance of any other human and I will show you the peoples hero. The Dark Knight Rises does not disappoint. Bruce Wayne may be a billionaire playboy, but underneath he has the courage to fight back, without a burst of Gamma radiation. Hathaway captures the sketchy Catwoman with ease and it is difficult to decipher whose side she is really on. Hardy fits the profile of Bane perfectly and does not venture into the superhuman like his predecessor in Batman and Robin. A tip of the hat goes out to Nolan and his superb cast for staying the course and creating a Batman that I will be proud to show my children when they are ready to understand the darkness that can protect us from evil. Expand
  83. Jul 22, 2012
    An exceptional end to the Nolan Bat-films. A truly epic film that contains some of the most emotional pieces of the trilogy. The movie contains many plot threads and subtle clues that one can only pick up from multiple viewing. Excellent acting from all cast members, complex and moving plot, tied off with a soaring score by Hans Zimmer that is truly outstanding. This spectacular BatmanAn exceptional end to the Nolan Bat-films. A truly epic film that contains some of the most emotional pieces of the trilogy. The movie contains many plot threads and subtle clues that one can only pick up from multiple viewing. Excellent acting from all cast members, complex and moving plot, tied off with a soaring score by Hans Zimmer that is truly outstanding. This spectacular Batman movie completes one of the great trilogies of all time. Expand
  84. Jul 22, 2012
    Nolan's trilogy is a difficult one in hindsight - the three films are all very different beasts which happen to share the same story arc. The first, a traditional superhero film with incredibly realistic undertones, the second, essentially a thriller - and this installment feels like a disaster film. For me, at least, it was quite jarring - I've seen the first two so many times my initialNolan's trilogy is a difficult one in hindsight - the three films are all very different beasts which happen to share the same story arc. The first, a traditional superhero film with incredibly realistic undertones, the second, essentially a thriller - and this installment feels like a disaster film. For me, at least, it was quite jarring - I've seen the first two so many times my initial viewing was almost destroyed by the weight of expectation; the flaws so pronounced simply because I demanded there be none. However, the conclusion was stunning, a perfect end to a nearly perfect trilogy. Bane was genuinely terrifying, Catwoman pitch perfect, and once you can accept the new characters encroaching on this familiar space the film only becomes more sublime and epic. A terrific conclusion that will please fans of the comics, films, games - anyone who shares the love for perhaps the finest superhero will love this film and will leave the theater deeply touched. Nearly universally brilliant performances, including the best screen portrayal of Bruce Wayne yet, sublime villains (although Ledger's Joker is an impossible act to follow) and fantastic one off characters like only Nolan can deliver. A second viewing, where you can take in detail, accept the new characters and appreciate the sheer scope of vision will perhaps leave you as awe struck as you've ever been. Expand
  85. Jul 22, 2012
    An epic ending to a masterclass trilogy. if viewed as individual films ' The Dark Knight ' has a slight edge over ' The Dark Knight Rises ', but as a culmination of a series the movie is the best superhero movie of all time.
  86. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is a fitting end to the dark knight trilogy. It has a brilliantly crafted plot that brings the trilogy full circle, a few minor niggles prevent it from surpassing The Dark Knight but these are forgivable considering this film wasn't what Nolan had originally intended. It is however Bales finest performance as Bruce Wayne most notably in an emotionally charged sceneThe Dark Knight Rises is a fitting end to the dark knight trilogy. It has a brilliantly crafted plot that brings the trilogy full circle, a few minor niggles prevent it from surpassing The Dark Knight but these are forgivable considering this film wasn't what Nolan had originally intended. It is however Bales finest performance as Bruce Wayne most notably in an emotionally charged scene with the equally brilliant Michael Caine, and Tom Hardy's Bane phenomenally scary and portrayed brilliantly (which is an incredible feat considering he had half of his face covered). All in all a great film which focuses mostly on the development of characters than supplying you with gimmicky action set pieces, i guarantee you will enjoy as long as you're not overly sensitive to minor plot holes. Expand
  87. Jul 26, 2012
    With an epic fight sequence in an aircraft, Christopher Nolan and his team bring us Batman back on the big screen. Main villain Bane shows who's running the show in the first minutes of the epic final, 'The Dark Knight Rises' and after a while we also get to see the title-giving hero of Gotham City, Bruce Wayne aka Batman himself. As it was announced in 'The Dark Knight', he settled downWith an epic fight sequence in an aircraft, Christopher Nolan and his team bring us Batman back on the big screen. Main villain Bane shows who's running the show in the first minutes of the epic final, 'The Dark Knight Rises' and after a while we also get to see the title-giving hero of Gotham City, Bruce Wayne aka Batman himself. As it was announced in 'The Dark Knight', he settled down after losing his longtime love, Rachel, and being accused for killing Gotham's former district attorney, Harvey Dent. But as he gets tricked by cat burglar Selina Kyle (nicely played by Anne Hathaway), better known as Catwoman, he finally comes out of his hibernation, to fight for Gotham one last time. Also new in the cast: Joseph Gordon-Levitt as assiduous police officer and Marion Cotillard as an important member of Wayne Enterprises. Ah yeah, and Tom Hardy plays Bane, but that Expand
  88. Jul 22, 2012
    I think The Dark Knight Rises is one of those movies that you should watch in your life! It was exactly what I expect. I like catwoman character, Bane was not perfect as joker was, but BANE was good!!! I think costume design was perfect specially Bane
  89. Jul 22, 2012
    "The Dark Knight Rises" is a bittersweet viewing experience, an exhilarating dramatic adventure so fully engaging that when it reaches it's powerful and emotional climax, you leave the theater feeling like you are saying goodbye to a dear friend you will never see again that makes this the crown jewel of superhero epics and one of the most satisfying and complete movie trilogies ever made."The Dark Knight Rises" is a bittersweet viewing experience, an exhilarating dramatic adventure so fully engaging that when it reaches it's powerful and emotional climax, you leave the theater feeling like you are saying goodbye to a dear friend you will never see again that makes this the crown jewel of superhero epics and one of the most satisfying and complete movie trilogies ever made. As much as I want to see another Batman movie, I can't imagine one without Christian Bale under the direction and talents of Christopher Nolan who so fully realized this character and the drama of the relationships and themes that make the Dark Knight legend so resonant and real. Thanks to Chris Nolan and company for presenting Bruce Wayne's journey in a way I don't see anyone ever surpassing. Bravo to series veterans Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, and to new cast members Tom Hardy, Marion Cottilard and especially Anne Hathaway as the definitive Selina Kyle. It's been a hell of a 9 year ride getting here! The best of the trilogy. Expand
  90. Jul 22, 2012
    Christopher Nolan reinvents Batman in a powerful and much darker way. Batman Begins is a gripping and compelling origin of the hero. The Dark Knight is a lot more serious, realistic, and powerful Batman movie. The Dark Knight Rises is the last of the series. It is ought to be larger and better. It does succeed to be the biggest of the rest of the series. Although, it's not as as superiorChristopher Nolan reinvents Batman in a powerful and much darker way. Batman Begins is a gripping and compelling origin of the hero. The Dark Knight is a lot more serious, realistic, and powerful Batman movie. The Dark Knight Rises is the last of the series. It is ought to be larger and better. It does succeed to be the biggest of the rest of the series. Although, it's not as as superior as The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight Rises is still a fantastic and grand cinematic experience.

Every sequel gets bigger and bigger. The threats are getting worse and worse. The Dark Knight Rises is more than just big stuff. There is always suspense that keeps the movie exciting. The best thing about the action is it's not about being pretentiously cool, but it is made to give you anxiety to the fights of Batman between the enemy. Tom Hardy nailed it as Bane. He brings a lot of fear and menace to it. It's different to The Joker but Bane is an intriguing villain.

Most of the movie is the anarchy in Gotham and Bruce Wayne's suffering. There isn't much action fighting in those scenes. What matters here is how you can feel the danger of the characters. The chaotic turn of Gotham really looks bleak and grim that makes you think everybody is doomed. Compelling and heartbreaking emotions is always there.

Much credit goes to Christopher Nolan. Despite from its almost three hour run time, the film is well fast paced and completely entertaining. His action scenes are totally different to the action scenes of movies these days. He's focused to the thrills than looking cool. Some fistfights can be a little underwhelming, but he's best at the chase scenes. The CGI is obviously good and not excessive.

The Dark Knight Rises is a lot more daring than anyone would expect. It's one of those superhero movies that cares more to heroism than just action. The scale is large and it is so explosive. That is the usual formula of all blockbusters, but here, it uses it in a darker and suspenseful way. The Dark Knight Rises is just beyond your expectations. It's also a fitting end of this amazing trilogy. I still think The Dark Knight is the best of the three. That movie is something you can't compare to any other film. Even this and Batman Begins. But hey, The Dark Knight Rises is such an excellent grand experience.
  91. Jul 22, 2012
    I waited in line for nearly 5 hours to see this film in IMAX on the midnight premiere, and waited another 2 hours sitting in the theatre. And OH MY GOD WAS IT WORTH IT!!!
    The thing that I always loved about Nolan's Batman films was the reality basis that they had, and of course the great performances in them, as well as the writing, directing, cinematography, visuals, EVERYTHING!!
  92. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I walked into this film with extremely high expectations, and I can honestly say that this film completely surpassed my already high expectations. I had to turn to my friend once in a while and I could see that he also looked absolutely astounded. At the beginning of the film I was pulled in by the new characters, Catwoman(Anne Hathaway) and Bane(Tom Hardy), and also pulled in by the completely new portrayal of Bruce Wayne(Christian Bale), which was far different to his performance in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Although I feel that it started in a very similar way to Batman Begins, but this just adds to nostalgic effect. Throughout the film I was constantly mesmerized by the new gadgets that Lucius Fox(Morgan Freeman) offered. This film has a massive amount of character building. The way Bruce Wayne changes from a broken man, both mentally and physically, to the spectacular former hero he was in The Dark Knight. The supporting actors were simply astounding, Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Micheal Caine, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Gary Oldman did a brilliant job. I think the mystery that surrounded John Blake(Joseph Grodon-Levitt's character) was brilliant. My favourite part of the film by far was the ending. John Blake stumbling upon the Bat-cave, the statue of Batman being revealed in Gotham, Alfred Pennyworth(Michael Caine) finally fulfilling his fantasy of finding Bruce Wayne settled down with a wife, Selina Kyle(Catwoman). I find it brilliant that Alfred also talks about this fantasy near the beginning of the film, this ties together the whole film. The cameo from Ra's Al Ghul(Liam Neeson) was very reminiscent of Batman Begins. The twist involving Miranda Tate(Marion Cotillard) where you find out that she is really Talia Al Ghul is fantastic. The only downside to this film that I could find was Bane's voice. I found he sounded rather like a posh Englishman. All together, this film was by far the best I've ever seen, it was a brilliant ending to a fantastic trilogy. I realise I've used a lot of superlatives in this review, but I assure you this film deserves it, if there is one film I could ever recommend, it would be this one. If you do anything this year, make sure you see this film. I saw it on the opening day and I guarantee you I will definitely see it many more times. Expand
  93. Jul 22, 2012
    the dark knight rises beats the avengers the first half was a bit slow but what can we say about a near hour movie. the climax was so great that it cant be described in words.clearly it knocks out the avengers.felling much relaxed after watching the movie but i wanna see it again
  94. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Dark Knight Rises is a good film, it is not a great film. People giving it 10 are trying to say it's as good or better then TDK, which it is nowhere near. Overall, the production value is excellent, the cast and acting are good, but the plot is average at best - basically a repeat of the first film with a few more people involved. I expected something more imaginative then the League of Shadows back in Gotham with another bomb. There's a difference between going back to finish the story, and just straight-up repeating it. You can pair off all the chars to similar roles in the plot. Bane/Scarecrow, Talia/Al Ghul, Rachael/Catwomen. The only new char is the one played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, which unsurprisingly, becomes the most interesting by the end of the film. TDKR is a good film in an excellent trilogy, of which TDK is still the centrepiece. Expand
  95. Jul 22, 2012
    Excellent. incredible. The best movie. 1000 times better than avengers. Exciting and a great fight at the end, good dialogues. Wonderful and epic ...
  96. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Incredible acting. Perfect balance of action and dramatic storytelling. Edge-of-your-seat intensity. The last film of Nolan's Batman trilogy is absolutely thrilling from beginning to end. While the movie doesn't contain a central villain as unique and iconic as The Dark Knight's Joker, the assortment of new characters and their interweaving stories make for a larger, more intricate movie. Bane's visceral presence brings forth feelings of terror and dread each time he appears on screen, his brutal physicality and authoritative personality a contrast to the wild chaos of the Joker in the previous film. Selina Kyle is the most interesting character in the movie; devilishly sly, sensual, and intelligent, and the dynamic she shares with Bruce Wayne is one of the high points of the film. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's John Blake has a surprising amount of screen time, but none of it is wasted - he evolves into a sort of second hero of the film, willing to do whatever it takes to save Gotham but foregoing the elusiveness and symbolic nature of Batman in favor of an every-man who can connect with the citizens as an actual human. The action set pieces are great, and the visuals stunning. Of particular note is the jet/helicopter hybrid the Bat, which is an amazing sight to behold as it soars throughout Gotham. The fight scenes between Batman and Bane are also a blast to watch, each one a slow, gruesome, bare-knuckle brawl that test the limits of Batman's body and abilities. High speed chases through Gotham, scenes of destruction on a massive scale, and a huge battle royale on the streets make this this most epic movie of the trilogy. This is not the Dark Knight, which was a more cohesive film and contained the best portal of a comic book villain in recent times, but The Dark Knight Rises is spectacular in other ways. Expand
  97. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw this film midnight on July 19th as part of the Dark Knight marathon, showing all three films in a row. I can honestly say this made the experience even better because it let me in on the fact that the Dark Knight trilogy is the "Star Wars" trilogy of this generation. In my eyes, a trilogy should end with no more questions, everything answered and wrapped up, with only your imagination with "what happened" next when it's all said and done, and this trilogy did just that. I only wish that the Hollywood system would produce more stories like this onto the thousands of screens across the world. Time to break down my favorite aspects of the Dark Knight Rises film. First off, the ending. Batman (Christian Bale) latches onto a nuke and starts up The Bat to take it out of Gotham before it blows, but before he does, he gives a small hint to Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman) that reveals just who Batman is to Jim, who says to himself in a chilling moment "Bruce Wayne?". Then, as Batman has the bomb safely away from the city, it blows up. In such an emotional moment of the film, you can't help by get that feeling in your throat as the Dark Knight sacrifices himself to save the city that was almost doomed. That feeling becomes stronger as Alfred (Michael Caine) stands over the grave of Bruce Wayne, and weaps. Almost in tears with what happens, your heart begins to beat a bit faster when Jim Gorden discovers a new Bat signal, as you get a small bit of confusion, a feeling takes over you...that feeling is Hope. Alfred sits down in a cafe in Italy, the same as the dream he explained earlier in the film, and looks up and smiles, you know exactly what's coming next and you cannot help but smile as it reveals Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle, happy as can be. I had cold chills throughout this ending and I couldn't control the emotion driving through my body. There could not have been a better ending to this film. Film is all about feeling something, and being almost in tears for a sad reason one minute, and then smiling and crying like a small child the next, is an indescribably feeling. It will be a long time until I feel this about a film again. Michael Caine needs to be recognized for this film. Alfred has a larger role in this film that he has in any other of the films, and it's incredible to watch. Alfred has always been the one and only person that can stand up to Bruce/Batman and get away with it. He's the voice of reason throughout the series, and the caring father figure that Bruce needed. In this film, Alfred reaches a new low in his life, having a heavy fear that Bruce will become Batman again, and end up in a grave, leaving Alfred completely alone and taking away the last person he cares about. Caine was the stand out emotional performance in this film, and when Alfred leaves Bruce in the middle of the film, an emptiness is felt until you see the familiar face again. It's been reported that Christian Bale told Christopher Nolan that he would be Batman, as long as Robin wasn't in the films. I agreed with this because it would have taken away from the main story of Bruce Wayne/Batman in the films. Or so I thought. John Blake (Joseph Gorden-Levitt) is a Gotham cop, who knows the identity of Batman and gives Bruce Wayne the push to come back. He also helps in the fight against Bane's army to save Gotham. In short, the John Blake character was a very rewarding character. But the most interesting and awesome information about John Blake is revealed in the last moments of the film, when it's revealed his legal name is Robin John Blake. I didn't think a Robin could be done right in a "real" and "gritty" film series like the Dark Knight trilogy, but I was wrong. Alright, so I'm running out of characters in this review so this is going to be a speed round of what else I liked about the film. Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle was great. Many people thought she was a poor choice for the character, but it's done so well and she brought it to life. Bane is also such a physical force on screen. What Tom Hardy is able to do with limited facial expressions is phenomenal, especially when tears fall from his eyes when it's revealed he was a protector of Talia Al Ghul. The cameo appearance of Cillian Murphy as Scarecrow was subtle but perfect. It was such a nice little touch to a film that wrapped up the full story of Batman Begins. My hat if off to you Mr. Nolan. You were able to bring the art of story telling to a new height in a system that seems to forget about it way too often. I'm excited to see what is next in the Nolan film world. I'll always remember the first time I saw this film, the last film, and the first film. This was and is the perfect trilogy. Thank you to those who told this amazing story Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.